Chocolate Pi's Game Design Forum
Please do something about the spam - Printable Version

+- Chocolate Pi's Game Design Forum (http://forum.chocolatepi.net)
+-- Forum: Administrative (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Site Feedback (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: Please do something about the spam (/showthread.php?tid=1329)

Please do something about the spam - Kaynato - 03-02-2016 04:20 PM

I think there has been a new spam post every day as of last week.

Is there something with the registration? Have we encountered a new advance in the arms race?

If anything could be done about this, I think it would be great.

RE: Please do something about the spam - chimericWilder - 03-06-2016 02:01 AM

I am sorry to inform you that the average number of bots per day is atleast two.

If there isnt something immediate that can be done to solve this problem, I should like to volunteer for a bot extermination position. Im checking the forum obsessively anyway, and reporting our robot friends routinely besides.

RE: Please do something about the spam - Coldblooded - 03-06-2016 02:33 AM

Personally I'm not sure that adding another spambot hunter would make a huge difference, I was only offline for about 6 hours and there were four new spambots that popped up in that amount of time. (A number which is admittedly above average, but far from unusual for a single night.)

I like the idea of adding a new bot blocking step to registration, similar to what they have on Eagle Time. I'd be looking into it myself right now if I had the ability actually, but I assume that that's a privilege reserved exclusively for admins.

RE: Please do something about the spam - chimericWilder - 03-06-2016 04:32 AM

Yeah ideally if something more permanent could be done that would be preferable.

Im just saying that im going to be reporting them anyway

RE: Please do something about the spam - Palamedes - 03-06-2016 05:17 AM

Unfortunately Coldblooded is correct - since he is such an able hunter of spam we don't have too much need for another. I started looking into tighter registration restrictions when this thread was first made hoping that I could triumphantly announce my incredible success here by now, but the ridiculous tide of spam only seemed to drop a small amount. I'm changing around a few more things (and looking at adding a few) so we'll see how that goes as well.

RE: Please do something about the spam - chimericWilder - 03-06-2016 05:59 AM

Good enough for me.

RE: Please do something about the spam - ICan'tGiveCredit - 03-06-2016 12:52 PM

Soon, we will need biometric scanners, and then they'll NEVER get through.

...right?

RE: Please do something about the spam - Palamedes - 03-16-2016 04:49 AM

Breaking news from forum city:

Brutal fighting has been taking place in the registration district for the past week between spammers and new Chocolate Pi Security Forces. While around a dozen bots escaped, at least ninety were brutally destroyed by the CPSF. Admayorstrator Palamedes, despite being happy with the CPSF's effectiveness, has sworn that he will not rest until Forum City is as spam free as possible.

In less silly terms, a little over one hundred illicit attempts have been made to create forum accounts, and the vast majority were blocked from getting through with new and more effective security questions. I'm going to keep looking into even more effective blocking methods, but I think for now we've made some real progress.

RE: Please do something about the spam - chimericWilder - 03-16-2016 10:10 AM

Huh. That explains why i havnt seen any of the damned things lately. Good work, Admayorstrator!