General Games Chat
07-21-2015, 08:20 AM
RE: General Games Chat
Well, I don't know about shorter... but I was planning on starting up one that doesn't require signups.

I decided to try it out here because since DTG runs on forum game rules as a basis for keeping everything in check, I'm not sure whether or not it would qualify as an actual adventure on the main forums.

So I decided to make the scouting thread here to see how much traffic I can/could expect to get.

My hope is that people will jump in, but I'm beginning to worry that I'll just have to find a completely different set of forum sites altogether if I want to have any hope at all of making the mspa session end up being a thing.

Oh well, that's random bantering.
If you're interested, feel free to just jump in on the destroy the godmodder scouting thread.

Heh. Punks.
07-21-2015, 02:36 PM
Whenever I run games like those, too many people sign up for me to handle.

RE: Birds of a Feather- I am still working on the update (which will hopefully be posted tommorow), but I keep on being interrupted by my real life. Such as bookkeeping at my parent's place of work and donut/LoL parties.
07-22-2015, 03:45 AM
cook the books, Reyweld. Cook'em real good.

Edited for Readability and Preservation of Sanity - The Revolution - OP - Chapter 1/2 - Chapter 2/2 (missing maps) - Chapter 2 - Chapter 3 (Ongoing) - Chat
07-30-2015, 10:09 PM
State games take so much time to update ; -; so much time, but I prevailed, Noon's next turn has begun recently. I'll try to do make a few Quality Of Life tweaks to it to allow faster updates.

It is time time
08-01-2015, 11:46 AM
Here's an idea that was bouncing around in my head for a while now. A combination of Godhood and City States, called something along the lines of Goddy States! Its basically like regular city states, but with galaxies instead of states, acts instead of money and gods instead of citizens. And all the miracles you can shake a metaphorical stick at.
08-09-2015, 03:47 AM
I am going to vanish into Poland until friday evening, or saturday morning. Seeya!

It is time time
08-09-2015, 07:42 AM
Guys, what would you say if I resurrected Excquisite Corpse (though most likely under a different name)? Would anyone be interested?
08-11-2015, 02:05 AM
I really don't know what to do about my catastrophically ambitious game anymore. Can I please call it quits? I recognize my failure.
08-14-2015, 02:22 AM
Anyways, anyone that hasn't noticed, I've started up Destroy The Godmodder: MSPA Session. It's off to a bit of a slow start, but I'm hoping to change that as soon as I can get some plot-like shenanigans underway.
Scratch has already started contacting someone, so this'll be interesting.

Heh. Punks.
08-14-2015, 06:58 AM
Yes Kaynato, you can throw in the towel. No shame in not being able to do what you meant to. I loved it though, and hope it doesn't hit you too hard.

Working Name: Anarkismo
08-14-2015, 01:21 PM
Actually, I've changed my mind. It was mostly due, anyway, to being out of the country and busy all the time. Now that it's the freshman year of college, I'll actually be able to write, especially now I've gotten over the mental hurdle. It's not that much. That's all I've got to repeat.
08-16-2015, 11:52 PM
I have returned from the wilderness, and ready to post once more, once I figure out what to post.

It is time time
08-25-2015, 10:29 AM
Nefarious forces have been conspiring to keep me from internet access, first time I could really post because of that and don't expect much more until I fix it.

Sorry!
08-25-2015, 01:26 PM
There's another Other Alchemy Game up, so check it out (and maybe join!)

08-26-2015, 04:27 PM
Hey hey.

Any love for stuff in the same vein as Roll to Die games? I've got some storylines I'd like to explore about misfit bands of heroes and over-the-top action, and I'm looking to just kick back and have fun making adventures happen. If there's significant interest for something that involves ancient artifacts, police brutality, catgirls, and copious amounts of action movie-esque hijinks, I'm down to run it.

and now, hunger does what sorrow could never do
website | @tehpilot
08-27-2015, 11:45 AM
Thumbs up from me.

I mean, as it's probably clear I'm not very reliably around right now but if I'm back in action before/during I'd definitely be up for something like that.
08-27-2015, 08:47 PM
Yes indeed.

It is time time
08-31-2015, 07:41 AM
Alright so I'm (mostly) back. Can finally access internet on a semi-reliable basis, at least - though I'm still limited at what I can do past posting for the most part.
08-31-2015, 07:56 AM
I have been a bit late with Noon, but I might be a bit busy with work related things, but i will try to update it on Tuesday, september the first.

It is time time
09-08-2015, 07:35 AM
I think I need to get involved in the creation of a new game, but I don't know what would make for a genuinely good game which also wouldn't be a headache to update.
09-08-2015, 09:23 AM
Do a RTD, they're always fun and low-maintenance. Or a Godhood, they're fun and we haven't had one in a while.

The one, the only, Vancho!
09-08-2015, 10:40 AM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2015 01:51 PM by Reyweld.)
((RTD? Real Time Dungeon?? Random Tower Defence????

Also, I am going to post an update of Pantheon hopefully sometime tommorow afternoon. I have been busy preparing for school and doing mafia things. Thank you for being patient with me.))

SUPRISE! Updated early.

09-08-2015, 10:53 AM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2015 10:55 AM by chimericWilder.)
Roll to Die

its a simple game where players post actions and the gm rolls a die for each, often with reality-breaking and/or hilarious consequences depending on the result of the roll.
09-08-2015, 10:59 AM
Yes, most RtD games are basically d20 distilled to its purest form - you do things, you roll a d20, you compare the roll to the difficulty and modify it based on stuff, and then decide the result. It's really easy and low-effort to run.

09-08-2015, 12:04 PM
So... Roll to godhood?
09-08-2015, 12:21 PM
sure why not.

I'd love to play a Godhood again, especially if there was a plan to somehow avoid the "long periods of no update -> game dead" thing that strikes most of them (usually due to mod overload and/or vanishment)

like, I dunno. I could imagine a godhood where the players are also sharing mod duties? so that if anyone vanishes, oh well, game keeps going. but it seems to need a bit more nailed down than just that.
09-08-2015, 03:02 PM
I don't think I could ever run a godhood but I could probably assist someone else in doing it? Helping them decide the effects of certain actions, coming up with twists, doing a quick update if they're too busy to get one out within a week or so, etc.

Regarding RTD's: They don't necessarily have to be completely goofy if that's not what you want (though if you do that's pretty great too), it's just that most of the time death and mayhem follows players wherever they go and ridiculous reality warping is often easier to keep writing for than a bleak and desperate (and plot involved) struggle for survival.

Good examples of the former are easy to find (due to aforementioned point), but an excellent example of the latter is Allegiance, and interesting variations could be based around ideas such as Little Empires (look more at events and when NPCs/players start fighting interacting). Roll To Die is an extremely traditional (and fun) version that is exactly what it says on the tin.
09-08-2015, 04:48 PM
Hey, not to toot my own horn but signups for my new game are up. Join if you like fun and politics, or think that Politics are fun.

09-08-2015, 07:52 PM
(09-08-2015 04:48 PM)Vancho1 Wrote:  Hey, not to toot my own horn but signups for my new game are up. Join if you like fun and politics, or think that Politics are fun.

How about I toot your horn instead?
Play this game by Vancho1, it's probably not bad?
09-08-2015, 10:21 PM
Allegiance was one of the best conceptual games ever hosted on MSPAF in my opinion, but i always thought that the RtD portion of it had some issues (Doopliss admitted as much himself). The system he had in place encouraged repeating actions over and over until one hit with success a bit too much - the only other option was giving up on whatever you were doing and finding something else to do, which is better for keeping a game fresh and varied but is not so great for player goals

that said Vancho got away with some crazy things and it was awesome
09-08-2015, 11:59 PM
Yeah, Allegiance was great fun. It's a shame that Valden never got to figure out what was causing the apocalypse though... (Does anybody else remember getting any background flavor for that game, because mine was basically just "You need to figure out what the hell is going on.")

Anyway, speaking of deadbeat mods, I should probably apologize to everybody who's still waiting for Knockemstiff's next chapter to start. I've been either very busy or very lazy over the last week or so, and right now was just a convenient place to leave the game on pause. The update's still coming as soon as get enough time to actually sit down and finish writing it though.

Tumblr/Steam
09-09-2015, 12:21 AM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2015 12:24 AM by Palamedes.)
I actually thought that while the RtD bit wasn't perfect, it was an important aspect of the game as far as keeping everything from players just doing whatever they wanted. I also liked how it determined what NPC's were doing in the background. Maybe if it was more influenced by the 'power' of players and worked more on degrees of success no matter how poorly you rolled (so getting lower than an eight or so didn't leave you needing to repeat your last action). Alternately, flavor could give bonuses to actions (or lack thereof/simply repeating your last action a negative), so that instead of saying "I attack the Balor again" (as an example) you are encouraged to come up with a different way to try and take it down than just charging it like you did last time.

As for the player goals I liked how they weren't specifically designed that you could just rush right into them? Mine was pretty straightforward albeit problematic (Dooplis gave me a new one once it was clear that swamp's character wasn't going to survive) and my second one was pretty huge in the grand scheme of things (escaping the city), but the general thing seemed to be that they were things that would need to be worked at to keep players involved in the game for a longer period of time. I think the issue was more based around some of the player goals being less enviable than the others - for example Riou's 'kill this other player' and swamp's 'break your sword's curse in the temple' were good ones I felt that could be prepared for clearly and then fought hard for, while others were a bit more vague and difficult.

My other major problem was how if you died you got an (arguably) easier goal and also better powers/power in general. I think it was supposed to be balanced by the fact that humanity and demons were supposed to be the strongest factions and they don't convert, but the fact that the former always seemed to roll terribly and the infection quickly dominated the entire east half of the map (or almost did, until an unexpected alliance) plus the superior base power of monster characters made me sort of question why anyone coming into the game later would ever choose to play a human.

And yeah I brought it up because it was one of the more enjoyable and memorable games there, to the point where I still sometimes sit down and remember our disasters adventures. I still regret not being able to save you during my Big Damn Hero moment (aka when things finally started to turn around for the forces of good and also varied forest monsters).

All I knew was that the Temple had Magic Bullshit in there (since I was supposed to be keeping Ichigo alive to decurse his sword) so I was hoping to find something that could help break out of the dimension we were trapped in, which fit with my new goal of just getting the hell out (even if it didn't entirely jam with where my character was developing before Dooplis gave me it).

Let's not speak of deadbeat mods because yeah I'm sorry Arkham players I am technically still relying on other people's computers to do basically anything internet related.
09-09-2015, 02:09 AM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2015 02:10 AM by chimericWilder.)
Yea, my only issue with the Allegiance RtD was the tendency to repeat actions, and since I think Doopliss said it was his first ever forum game, that could have been easily avoided simply by more experience with forum games and by using solutions like those you suggested. Still, credits to him for making a cool and nuanced game like that on his first attempt. We never did figure out what was going on.

For my part, I think my goal was to gather up an excorbitant amount of wealth and let it all blow over, but then my character slowly ended up playing the hero instead and was killed in a pitched battle sometime after having his stash of plundered herbs confiscated. Then my other character had the goal of saving the forest, which seemed entirely hopeless at the time but actually ended up seeming plausible a short time before the game was abandoned.
09-09-2015, 02:13 AM
I always like the bell curve of multiple dice compared to linear dice, combined with little things you can do to give bonus and negatives to your actions. You are so much more in control of your rolls, yet the dice is still fickle.

It is time time
09-09-2015, 02:38 AM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2015 08:33 AM by Vancho1.)
I remember Allegiance! I tried my very best to fulfill my goal each time, and I got murdered for it. I died (got reduced to 0 HP) 3 times.

Edit: I got away with crazy things because Doopliss was always sorry about how I had shit luck all the time. I got ambushed three times, and only really the third time did I actually deserve it (i. e. I was in a dangerous place and was not a combat-focused character). I mean, I got converted into a werewasp LITERALLY inside one of the safest places to be, the Mage Guild, and then I got infected in the middle of the frikkin' forest.

Actually, the idea of personal and faction goals in my new game, A City Divided, was inspired by the goals-system of Allegiance.

09-15-2015, 02:21 PM
Psssst, signups for Aethernauts are currently open. Sign up for ADVENTURES in (the magic nonsense equivalent of) SPACE!
09-15-2015, 03:36 PM
Anyone interested in a post-based low-fantasy Pathfinder campaign? I haven't played seriously on forums in forever, but since I got a job, I need some sort of regular creative activity to engage in. I've hopped out of a few games as a player in the past, but I'm pretty damn responsible as a DM, if I do say so myself - I just finished a year-long Scion campaign in a skype group I'm in. I've already got a map, setting write-up, and some larger world-wide events planned, and I'm pretty excited to start up.
09-15-2015, 05:26 PM
Protoman, you dirty communist, where have you been? If you want to be a proto-marxist, you can sign up for my game and be a very very proletarian-minded Republican! (A republic of the working people, if you will). If your political ideas have broadened since then, feel free to play any political ideal, I guess.

Also, about pathfinder campaign, you might not get a lot of people here. Sul is kind of running one right now, and probably most of the pathfinder people are already in that. I, for example, can't possibly play, even though I'm interested, because I already have Sul's campaign every week(ish) and then an IRL one every other week. But feel free to ask around.

09-15-2015, 06:59 PM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2015 07:04 PM by Protoman.)
Hey, nice seeing you, man! I'll definitely look into it.

I'm probably just gonna do a post-based thing rather than a regularly scheduled skype call, so shit'll move slower but be way less time consuming, if that's a factor for anyone. I've got a skype campaign coming up along with work and MGSV slowly taking over my life, so I definitely don't have time for another one of those.
09-16-2015, 03:47 AM
Every week he says, when we haven't had a session the past two weeks. It's an on-again off-again thing at this point, like everything else I ever GM.

And yeah I'd totally be up for some play-by-post pathfinder.
09-16-2015, 06:49 AM
Ideally, it's every week. To first-order approximation. Of course, there are correctional terms. And if it's play - by - post, I'm sure I could make time for it too, protoman .

09-16-2015, 10:09 AM
I am entirely in favor of play-by-postfinder.
10-06-2015, 08:23 AM
Would anyone be interested in a survival horror/adventure game set within a mysterious facility run by a Fantasy & Technology Masquerade group called The Order Of Mana? You will play as one of the inmates (who can be anything from a muggle that learned too much, an artificial being, or even an alien) who are using the sudden chaos to attempt an escape. It would take part in a larger universe called Vitality Underground, which will have plenty of world information but still be open ended for character design.

The Omniverse is all possibilities, and all possibilities must eventually come to pass.
10-06-2015, 11:23 AM
(10-06-2015 08:23 AM)Kkutlord Wrote:  Would anyone be interested in a survival horror/adventure game set within a mysterious facility run by a Fantasy & Technology Masquerade group called The Order Of Mana? You will play as one of the inmates (who can be anything from a muggle that learned too much, an artificial being, or even an alien) who are using the sudden chaos to attempt an escape. It would take part in a larger universe called Vitality Underground, which will have plenty of world information but still be open ended for character design.

Me. Yes. Definitely.

Participated in something similar a long time ago.

It died quickly, right as the plot started.

Me want more.

Please do. Please make good thing.

Yes please! I would definitely be interested in that.
10-06-2015, 11:24 AM
I'd still be interested in collapse into darkness... :(
10-06-2015, 11:39 AM
Collapse Into Darkness needs more refinement and honestly should just be an RPG instead. Still, I really love the Orderforger/Zerosigner/Chaosbreaker(bringer?) concept so I'll find something for it in Vitality Underground. Oh yeah, Vitality Underground is the franchise name for the universe the survival game is in, and the Vitality Underground Super-OOC I'll be posting will just simply be ''huge''. The horror adventure itself is called Nightmare Normalcy.

The Omniverse is all possibilities, and all possibilities must eventually come to pass.
10-06-2015, 06:43 PM
Sorry to the GMs of all the games I'm in, as well as everyone waiting on A City Divided - I've been extremely busy last week and will continue to be busy this week. If you are interested in applying to ACD, get your app in by the 10th. I will try to catch up around Wednesday or Thursday, the weekend at the latest.

10-07-2015, 01:16 PM
New game is up. Freeform RP, islands in space, politics and adventure with families of badasses.

Of course, it helps when I actually design these games around being able to keep running them for a change. ;D
10-10-2015, 01:21 PM
Hm, hope so demon, I've been looking through the games, and so few of them are actually lasting very long.
I'm sort of worried about what that means for my DTG session. O_O

Sorry I haven't been too active in the other games, but DTG already takes up so much of my time... Oi vey, you have no idea how many of these things I wanted to join but knew I wouldn't be able to post regularly on, well, I guess there's not that many, but still.

Heh. Punks.
10-13-2015, 08:56 AM
The (soon to be painfully massive) Super OOC Vitality Underground is up, and the first installment will be Nightmare Normalcy if anyone is interested.