General Games Chat
01-27-2016, 06:22 AM
RE: General Games Chat
I'd probably give it a go, and you could probably swing a lot of other people into trying it if you gave a more detailed description of how you'd want it to play/be open to feedback from people who think parts of it might be problematic (such as, for example, its reliance on everyone having to send in their thing).
01-27-2016, 09:00 AM
I can totally understand how you feel. I made a game recently which appears to have zero player interest. I'm not sure if people just don't like some aspect of it or if they dislike me specifically for some reason.

I should point out that not everyone on the forum views the general games chat thread.
01-27-2016, 02:12 PM
Well, i'll be the first to point out that Black Zenith wasnt a good game in the first place
01-27-2016, 02:42 PM
Really? I thought it was great... Until the updates slowed down. I'm sure I complained about that entirely too much already.
01-27-2016, 03:29 PM
Too many numbers and effects to remember led to each update taking hours and hours - which wouldnt have been a problem had the combat been paced quicker by design, or been less predictable. I suppose those are things you have proven better at handling than I, though
01-28-2016, 04:50 AM
tbh i still have so many ideas written down about my character and didn't care at all about how it was going. I was having a ball.

Edited for Readability and Preservation of Sanity - The Revolution - OP - Chapter 1/2 - Chapter 2/2 (missing maps) - Chapter 2 - Chapter 3 (Ongoing) - Chat
01-29-2016, 11:19 AM
A gridhood game inspired by RAD. I'm super excited about this one!
02-14-2016, 04:40 AM
I live once more! After almost two months, I finally initiated Project D.O.R.F. .

It is time time
02-14-2016, 06:47 AM
Good to see you didnt give up on it! Best of luck.
02-14-2016, 07:09 AM
Would anyone mind signing up for Gridhood Neo? I really don't want that game to fail due to a lack of players.
02-16-2016, 02:45 PM
I'll look into it for you
03-12-2016, 05:03 AM
There's a forum for forum games called eRegime which has been around since 2012. Users think up games to run in the "Suggestions" forum (viewable for members) and, if people support the idea, relevant forum areas are created and moderator powers given in order to make the game possible.

Coldblooded told me that I could advertize it in this thread. There's off-topic sections on eRegime as well (also viewable for members) and if anyone would like to promote CPF on eRegime via making a thread there, that would be fine.
03-15-2016, 10:36 AM
Ideas flowing through my brain. Not sure if this one would work very well in practice... But imagine DemiCyoghood: A demigodhood game that uses CYOGTCG-like cards in place of acts! Or something.

This post won't make sense to people who haven't played the above two games.
03-15-2016, 01:12 PM
you seem to be in love with cyogtcg :D unfortunately those games are guaranteed to die. guaranteed. in fact, i can't recall the last complete game that isn't a mafia. That I've played.

Edited for Readability and Preservation of Sanity - The Revolution - OP - Chapter 1/2 - Chapter 2/2 (missing maps) - Chapter 2 - Chapter 3 (Ongoing) - Chat
03-15-2016, 01:56 PM
well credit, by that logic why do we bother making games at all?

granted it would be awful nice if our games lived a little longer. theres nothing more saddening than a good game dying

that said there are plenty ways to blend a bunch of different gametypes together. for instance, the game divinity: dragon commander is a grand strategy game featuring a card system offering various advantages, and individual battles switch to real time strategy mode, allowing you to command troops and such. Then during that, you can deploy and fight personally. its a whole bunch of genres all mixed together, and while it doesnt do any of them particularly well its a good example of how one can mix genres together and still have a working game
03-15-2016, 11:36 PM
Its very hard to summon the motivation to update a game if the players don't even bother to post their turn. I'd have finished at least one game that I started by now if there weren't any leavers.
03-16-2016, 03:43 AM
I would be interested in co-running games to help alleviate issues of inactivity, especially on my part, as oftentimes I have to be away for a few days and the delay makes it hard to summon the motivation to update (or I just straight up forget). Plus collaboration usually leads to more good and less bad ideas.

Speaking of delays, gotta get on a few things right now, sorry to everyone waiting on me.
03-16-2016, 08:17 AM
What kind of game would you be interested in Co-running? I'm open to some less crazy ideas than what I have been coming up with occasionally. I am also open to some MORE crazy ideas.
03-16-2016, 08:53 AM (This post was last modified: 03-16-2016 08:55 AM by Palamedes.)
I'd be up for helping in just about anything, since that entails more or less bouncing back ideas and taking care of emergencies and/or single elements. I have had bad experiences co-modding so unless it's an idea that I am 100% interested in I'd be worried about lacking the interest and time to take care of everything on my own if worst comes to worst.

The ideal best game to me (that needs comods) are ones with a lot of detail like states-style games and godhoods, where having a second opinion alone can make a huge difference not to mention someone being able to take care of updates here or there (the time factor meaning updating only every week or two is also a factor). RPGs and other, faster paced games might move to quick for two mods to organize ideas and other important things like plot.

That said, any sort of game where you can easily sort out duties between the people running it would be particularly interesting. I've seen a few examples of games where one mod handles the world and plot while the other takes care of the NPCs that worked out really well so you could probably hook me on just about any sort of strange setup like that.
03-16-2016, 10:30 AM
The games I run have a tendency to look more like a fancy calculator than an actual game.

What are your thoughts on a Gridhood game to replace the one that tragically died? Or maybe a demigridhood game that combines it with the demigodhood style games... Hmm...
03-16-2016, 10:42 AM
I might be up for that?

If gridhood played out like it did last time with an NPC faction it could be interesting, but otherwise the only thing you'd need a comod for would be disasters and balancing. Demigridhood sounds good, but I'd have to look up the demigodhood games or hear a more detailed pitch.

I do think one small problem with gridhood is that the calculator can look too complicated and deter players - the more info you can keep understood but behind the scenes or as flavour the better. I always thought states and godhood games were always really good at disguising how ludicrously overcomplex they really are.
03-16-2016, 10:45 AM (This post was last modified: 03-16-2016 11:04 AM by chimericWilder.)
I am ever in favor of demigodhood. Whether grid or card flavored... eh. As long as the mechanics are solid.

Speaking of which, your previous idea to replace acts with another resource (like cards) is a good one. I dont think the traditional act system ever worked all that well in demigodhood

E: Pala, the basics of demigodhood are essentially that the gm provides a map filled with stuff for the players to explore with and critters to interact with turn by turn, using their demigod characters. Preferably the players also wind up interacting eventually, but this has been sparse in all but one of the demigodhoods that i remember (coincidentally, that was also the most succesful game). In the past, demigodhood games have suffered from a lack of impactful stuff happening, which leads to the game growing stale and player boredom. Also heres a list of demigodhood games.

03-16-2016, 11:18 AM
I actually ran a shockingly long demigodhood game. I think a new one would require a bit of tweaking. It did last like 109 turns before dying though. Take a look.

Flags of Fate OOC Thread
Flags of Fate IC Thread

There is also the WillyDeWulfe version. This is a link to the second WillyDeWulfe demigodhood game. I think the first one was better but I can't find a link to it.

Trials: Return to Nur
03-16-2016, 11:12 PM
WillyDeWulfe's demigodhood was one of the few ones that actually finished.
03-20-2016, 09:07 AM
Can anyone recommend any changes that could be made to my previous demigodhood game? Aside from the lack of communication from mortals; I am already very well aware of that issue.
03-20-2016, 09:47 AM
Well, it started to get *really* stale after a while (part of which was atleast partially because of a lack of player interaction, so that was partly on myself and the other players aswell), and on occasion i remember that we basically had to just redo previous turns' action because one turns worth of doing a thing wasnt 'enough', and while thats probably alright with a daily update schedule, its not something that does the game any favors. I think I had to spend five turns of just saying burrow in this direction at one point.

Other than that, the map sort of lacked direction i think? unless you were going for a flag or moving towards one of the zones, it really didnt make much difference what direction you explored in within the confines of that zone, as the player had no way of knowing what sort of stuff lay in which direction which, while realistic, is rather bad for player choice. I'd suggest adding points that are designed for the players to fight over to gain some sort of advantage, but arent end-game goals. That should help both with player interaction and direction.

Also, useless minions. Four out of five demigodhood games have featured atleast one race of completely useless critters that served only as act fodder, and were otherwise too stupid and/or weak to be useful. And while i guess not every critter should be competent, itd be nice to have something a tad more advanced than blobs that sit around in drooling heaps.

That said I wasnt particularly bothered by how difficult it was to communicate with that one race of mortals, it would just be nice if there was, yknow, an alternative race. Other than blobs.

You did good worldbuilding, though, and i liked the perk system.
03-21-2016, 09:27 AM
There we go. A few modifications and we now have a demigodhood game! I expect it to last as long as the players retain an interest in it.
03-22-2016, 11:19 PM
I think one thing which held back Flags of Fate was that you couldn't move to get someone else's flag without jeopardising your own. CtF might have been better suited to a team game, because then you wouldn't have one person trying to protect multiple scattered objectives.
03-23-2016, 01:32 AM
Agreed, but it also had to do with the flags being an endgame objective. It makes better sense to first build up an advantage in powers and minions before trying to steal another player's flag. Thats why i suggested a less important objective offering some mediocre advantage, which could then be fought over by several players hoping to gain the advantage, but risking attack by other players wanting it for themselves
03-24-2016, 12:38 AM
There should probably be more brainteaser-like games. Like uhh... word games. Collaborative board games. Psychological game theory games. Stuff like that. I'd play those.

Hell, I'd host a cooperative board game. Something like Forgotten Island or Pandemic. How would that sound?

[Image: sig.gif]
03-26-2016, 12:38 AM
Well, more games are always good!
03-26-2016, 08:47 AM
"Psychological game theory games."

Is that like Mafia?
03-26-2016, 10:34 AM
Yeah, kinda. But not necessarily so experience-based.

Mega Brain is a good example. It's always been one of my favorite games. I suppose I mean like what game shows would do, you know? Play challenges every now and then, have the opportunity to team up or betray people, etc.

And I guess I'll get around to hosting Forbidden Island sometime soon, If I can just translate it to an online experience.

[Image: sig.gif]
03-26-2016, 01:50 PM
Stuff like that would be cool. I'd probably be in to play.
03-30-2016, 11:21 PM
I love how some of the spambot threads are in need of replacements.

It is time time
03-31-2016, 02:21 AM
They probably realized that their days were numbered and were hoping to pass on their legacy to a worthy robo-heir.

Tumblr/Steam
04-07-2016, 08:41 PM
I gazed upon the thread of Spheres of Influence, I saw good things, regarding the open/long turn mechanics. Brilliant idea, I salute thee, Sul!

It is time time
04-08-2016, 03:24 AM
Many thanks! Here's hoping it actually works, since it's currently completely untested.
04-14-2016, 08:34 AM
We are in need of more players for Demigodhood Domination. Joining now will not put you at much of a disadvantage.
04-27-2016, 09:14 AM
Going to be away for the next two weeks. Should have semi-reliable internet access, but if I vanish for a while that's why.
04-28-2016, 01:26 PM
So

I know it's not the most super-popular thing anymore like it was on the Homestuck boards

But if we don't get some new players to participate at least semi-frequently in the Caption Competition it is going to die out entirely.

There's no sign-up. It's not a singular in-group. Just ... read the rules and post away.

[Image: g4osirL.jpg]
04-28-2016, 02:09 PM
We've only got four threads left that receive any posts at all anymore, and only barely at that. We're a dying community, im afraid
04-28-2016, 03:37 PM
Wow... I knew it was bad but I didn't think it was THAT bad.

I guess maybe everyone doesn't secretly hate me after all. Yay?
04-28-2016, 04:01 PM
The main issue is that with the MSPA forums perpetually down, there's no influx of new people at all.
04-28-2016, 05:14 PM
Yeah, and that was our primary source of people since WitchHunt hasn't really brought the traffic that people had hoped for.

The one, the only, Vancho!
04-28-2016, 11:14 PM
Yeah, its a shame about MSPAF. If they'd been active during the homestuck updates, we'd probably have seen a few new faces. Now i dont think we ever will
04-29-2016, 02:35 AM
(04-28-2016 02:09 PM)chimericWilder Wrote:  We've only got four threads left that receive any posts at all anymore, and only barely at that. We're a dying community, im afraid

I'm not, shall we say, unaware of this, but I figured what's the harm in giving it one last try, aye?

Besides the crushing disappointment, of course mspa

[Image: g4osirL.jpg]
04-29-2016, 03:10 AM
i hear you

i'd go post in the caption competition, but my lack of a sense of humor would make it a rather empty attempt at helping, i think

good on Gallo for adding another thread though
04-29-2016, 09:32 AM
Does anyone know a good larger community that we could join?
04-29-2016, 09:33 AM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2016 09:34 AM by Supernerd.)
Bay12 forums have a forum game subforum that I look at sometimes. You'll need to play some dwarf fortress to fully appreciate the community. The game is fun, but hard to learn.

Oh, and fun fact: I'm pretty sure that the godhood games that we played were originally based off a game from there.