General Games Chat
09-08-2013, 06:23 PM
RE: General Games Chat
Hey, Rapt, make sure to talk to Sul about Godhood games. He'll have some cool advice for you.

I was thinking about starting a new vanilla one myself but I don't think I'm a good GM for those types of games, hence why it took me so long to pump out updates for the one I tried to run. Good luck, Rapt. I dunno if I'll apply, though. I've got a game idea I'm cooking up myself that I'd like to devote time to running instead...
09-08-2013, 07:30 PM
What? Ask for help? LUDICROUS! What's the fun in learning from people with experience? Jumping into a game headfirst without a second thought is like an adventure! Just look at my last game... the one that died...

In my defense, I literally came up with the base story and mechanics for that game in about an hour WHILE I WAS TYPING OUT THE RULES! Considering that, and the fact that it was my first game, the fact that it lasted for nearly 10 pages with about a half dozen simultaneous stories before its sudden unexpected end is something I consider an accomplishment.

Space is warped and time is bendable.
09-08-2013, 08:53 PM
M-hm. Don't worry, man. I think everyone has to have that one game they rush out in a matter of minutes to learn that these things take planning. Just take your time planning everything out and it'll be fine. :P
09-09-2013, 02:27 AM
I'm afraid I must side with Raptarion this time. I rushed with Godhood S2 and look how it turned out!
09-09-2013, 06:19 AM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2013 06:19 AM by theLifebird.)
by the way i need
A:class suggestions
B:some help to run my game YO just some advice.
(for beat quest)
09-09-2013, 09:16 AM
Did someone say Godhood? I'm def. gonna at least sign up for it.

I'm addicted.
09-10-2013, 05:52 PM
You didn't ask for help running it before you launched the thread.
That would have been a good idea.
As for me, I'm too busy already. But I can offer you some help on the classes!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_music_styles
09-13-2013, 07:27 AM
Hey guys. Just gonna leave this here.

Demigodhood.
09-13-2013, 07:53 AM
Wasn't that the weird Highschool spin-off of Godhood?

Working Name: Anarkismo
09-13-2013, 08:13 AM
I guess. Someone else made it? :/
09-13-2013, 08:18 AM
Speaking of Godhood, I'd like to say that the reason I haven't created godhood 2 yet is because-

[someone shouts "you're a horrible person" in the distance]

O.K. who said that?

Well I haven't felt like starting the game yet for one. But also I'm having trouble coming up with how to work on certain game mechanics. Not core game mechanics like spending and gaining acts, those are pretty much dealt with. But mechanics unique to this game in particular. I may end up just dropping these mechanics entirely.
Either way, I can assure you that I will only start the tread when I feel I can handle the game. So you can assume that whatever game you get will at least be SOMEWHAT polished.

09-13-2013, 02:16 PM
AKA "I'm spending ages thinking on my gimmick."

Don't worry man. I spent probably about a week planning a series of details and content that I NEVER ENDED UP USING. So yeaaaaah. It's a fun experience. The longer you think on it, the better, honestly.

Also, Pagan, now you're making me want to make a Godhood that takes place in God-High-School. But I'd have to watch so many shitty shows from the 90s to nail down all the proper cliches and oh god let's just pretend I never brought that up.
09-13-2013, 04:49 PM
That sounds Horrible Great!

09-14-2013, 01:23 PM
I'm certainly going to try and join any other Godhood games. I'm really into them as well. But if so I'd either have to try and make up a different god, or perhaps me and Pagan can battle it out for all eternity, the forces of order and control or chaos and freedom across the multiverse, matched in power and wrestling forever and ever.
09-14-2013, 02:39 PM
I actually like how Azhaluq's path took. As an FYI if people had left the Ur-Mites alone from step 1, I'd have played a very different kind of entity. Freewill is fine, only if left unpolluted by external influences. Azhaluq made the Ur-Mites interested in cooperation from stage 1, and therefore made an entity that would be free, yet efficient. Division of Labour amongst a huge number, which needs very little to sustain itself, is a very efficient thing. Especially when they don't want to keep things from others.

09-17-2013, 09:03 AM
Well, godhood 2 signups have officially started. Good luck to whoever signs up and sorry in advance for it sucking.

09-17-2013, 09:47 AM
Time to fullfill my godhood extinction again.
09-17-2013, 05:08 PM
I'm sorry for unleashing my most awful god upon your game, Rapt.

But IT HAS TO BE THIS WAY.
09-17-2013, 05:16 PM (This post was last modified: 09-17-2013 05:16 PM by Raptarion.)
You have doomed us all Kocel.

I hope you're happy.

09-20-2013, 02:46 PM
RIP beat quest.
but really i plan to trying to get it to work even if i have to kill some one some time soon. i really want this to at least survive for a few weeks.
09-21-2013, 07:55 AM
So.. You Wanna Build A Civilization?™ I'm thinking of a game like Deadsul's games except more dumbed down, less focus on individuals and more on a general group, and generally more civ like. Do you like the concept?
09-21-2013, 08:03 AM
(09-21-2013 07:55 AM)MedicInDisquise Wrote:  So.. You Wanna Build A Civilization?™ I'm thinking of a game like Deadsul's games except more dumbed down, less focus on individuals and more on a general group, and generally more civ like. Do you like the concept?

Who is Deadsul?

09-21-2013, 08:16 AM
Ohh, Demonsul. I'm horrible at names.
09-21-2013, 09:10 AM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2013 09:10 AM by Demonsul.)
Those are States games, the nation-focused games. They have a long pedigree (or just I made a bunch of them before we moved to ChocPi, and so did some other people). There's a crude and out-of-date wiki if you're interested.

I can help!
09-21-2013, 09:20 AM
Thanks! Basically, the long term goal is to be the BEST LONG TERM CIV ON THE PLANET before it explodes/supernova/falls into nuclear war at 250 BC. Sign Ups will be infinitely Open, and if you get accepted in the middle of the game, you take some land from the strongest empire.

It will try to be somewhat realistic, and it will try to simulate a realistic world with the rise and fall of civs. But when the title is So, You Want To Build a Civilization™, I'm not gonna be serious about this.
09-25-2013, 05:08 AM
Sorry for continuing patchy updates/participation, everyone. There has been a lot of shit to do with going back to uni and joining the officer corps of the gaming society which is preventing me from spending as much time here as I should. I ought to be back to regular levels of activity in a few days.
09-26-2013, 04:52 AM
My internet's been down so I apologize for my absence. Trying to get it fixed. Hard to do while working and trying to fix my sleep schedule. Will get back to things shortly.
10-07-2013, 02:02 AM
So I am thinking of starting a Godhood game now. I have a whole story idea set up, but I need something new, game-wise.
10-07-2013, 02:06 AM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2013 02:07 AM by Raptarion.)
You could always use or alter one of the gimmicks from one of the old godhood games.

10-07-2013, 02:14 AM
Or the gimmick from Godhood S2. I still haven't told anyone what the hell the pantheon was.
10-15-2013, 10:50 PM
My rapidly approaching birthday (during which I will be spending the weekend at home) coupled with a bit of archive trouble means my participation/running of games might slow down a bit for the next few days. It'll definitely slow down Friday onwards. I should be back to regular hours on Monday.
10-19-2013, 02:29 PM
Please excuse my absence, I am at the Nashville Comic Con this weekend. I saw Bruce Campbell today, and will hopefully see Stan Lee tomorrow!

The one, the only, Vancho!
10-24-2013, 02:59 AM
You guys all remember CYOGTCG right? Do you guys think it would be a worthwhile effort to bring it to these forums again?
10-24-2013, 03:57 AM
I'd say maybe, but I'd bring back a lot of the old cards because it was such a pain having to make brand new ones every time some new person restarted the game.
10-24-2013, 04:02 AM
The problem with that is that there are hundreds of old cards and if I brought them back we would almost never see any new cards.
10-24-2013, 04:19 AM (This post was last modified: 10-24-2013 04:41 AM by Palamedes.)
Well we could always siphon through the many, many bad ones. I think I still have a bunch from when I briefly took over as the mod for the original CYOGTCG but I know a good number of them are absolute crap.

QE: Except for the Airman Card. That card is just my favourite despite everything.

Besides, the major problem is that some people (like me) already made a ton of cards, and either have no inspiration or motivation to make more since all that previous effort went to waste.
10-24-2013, 05:27 PM
Hello chaps! (Mind if I call you awesome guys chaps?)

I have a setting of mine, tentatively named Ara: Realm of Dreams, that basically started out as an attempt to fit a bunch of races into what was kind of supposed to be a thing that as a VR game-within-a-game fantasy land but is now pretty much it's own fantasy-kitchen-sink thing (at least race wise).

I came up with a list of races, and even a political map, but it pretty much totally lacked conflict except for some kind of vague the world is ending stuff (oh and I think there was going to be kobold slave rebellions, and there was also an Empire of jerkass dragoniods named the Krynn. Oh and before I forget Elves somehow turned into a bunch of businessmen that may or may not be totally shady. Oh look plot ideas here and there, just no major conflicts.).

Races
So there's race groups and then specific races as part of the whole lots of races thing.
Races/Race Groups are open to changing around.
You can probably tell that it's getting a lot of inspiration from DnD for this part.
  • Aquatic
  • Arthropods
  • Beastial - Predators
    • Wolven
    • Catfolk
    • Avians
  • Beastial - Prey
  • Constructs
  • Elemental/Deific
  • Draconic (Dragons or shares a common ancestor with dragons)
    • Krynn
    • Naga
    • Kobold
  • Humanoids
    • Humans
    • Elves
    • Dwarves
  • Mythical/Fey-like
    • Fairies
    • Nymphs
    • Centaurs
  • Extradimensional
    • Angels
    • Demons
    • Betentacled Horrors of Madness
  • Monstrous Humanoids/Orcish things
  • Shapeshifters
  • Plant-Based

Anyways, the general time period was early industrial revolution in the area I was focusing on.

Also, I kind of invented a magic system that right now is kind of a layered circle thing with just Magic at the center; Life and Death on the next level (or maybe something like Good and Evil?); Mind, Body, and Soul on the next; then it's Fire, Water, Earth, and Air; then after that it's Energy, Matter (could be something like control over Weak/Strong forces? works better the more a material is pure and it takes tons of skill to make anything that's made outta mixed elements that's not just a simply alloy), Gravity/Mass, and Order and Chaos (as in Entropy) could chill out here too.
So something like this I suppose with the "Elements" getting less abstract as they go out.
Could probably use some tweaking/figuring out, it's the most not-set-in-stone part of the whole setting.
Though I may be trying too hard in general for this so this list can just be something like the "Academic Model of Magicalness" or something (with the last elements on the list being very not well known/named werid things because people have no idea what they really are)
  • Magic
    • Life (Or Good or Positive)
    • Death (Or Evil or Negative or something along the lines of "Not normal Life")
      • Mind: Critical thinking
      • Body: Instinct
      • Soul: Emotions
        • Fire
        • Earth
        • Water
        • Air
          • Matter
          • Energy
          • Gravity/Mass
          • Order
          • Entropy

Oh and have some geographical/political maps for an area more or less the size of Europe that, like I said, doesn't have nearly enough conflict going on.
Nation info will be given if people are interested in it (incomplete info with some friends writing some of it for me).
Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Krynn, Kobolds, Naga, Fairies, Centaurs, Nymphs, Wolfen, Catfolk, and Avians being the races who live in this area.
((Or we could go West and have our story take place on the Schizo Techy deserty area where angels and demon, trapped when they switched dimensions to get there, are duking it out for no particular reason. Also steam and/or soul powered metal golems.))
[Image: uzI1oTl.png]
[Image: daS4gey.png]
[Image: 2GCAWW6.png]

So the point of all this is this question: Would any of you be interested in playing in/helping make a fantasy world like this with freeform(ish) rules?
Right now it just needs the nations to be in a very uneasy peace/truce with the others and maybe some race/nation tweaking in general before it's a viable setting.

((Possibly the terrible idea of having been human in our modern world before being tossed into the fantasy world and changing species because of a stupid archmage can be thrown in, but this is a terrible idea and only listing it because it was part of the original idea for this setting.))

As a last note, I have a big incomplete out of date Google Document for this setting if anyone wants to take a look.

[/brain dump]

... if that makes sense.
10-24-2013, 05:39 PM
There seems to be a setup for a WWI style war here. You know. Nations who never really got along with each-other being waist deep in alliances to prevent war, but in the end it just ends up dragging everyone into mutual destruction. Not sure where to go from there.

Could also be a good setup for a states game if you can find people who don't mind taking up preexisting nations as opposed to making up their own.
10-24-2013, 06:18 PM
That is a brilliant idea and I can readily imagine a situation like that, though since I hold all the info I probably can imagine it better than you can.

Here's what I've worked out alliance wise:
Krynn allies
  • Humans (allied with Krynn to take Centaur lands a while back)
  • Naga (allying with their dragon-bros of course! DRAGON BRO POWA)
  • Elves (dragged into the fight because of an alliance with humans, don't really like humans all that much but they dislike the other Wolfen more. Citizens have mixed feelings about which side to support.)
  • Southern Wolfen (arguably eviler than the other Wolfen, heck make them the Russia analogue why not)
Wolfen Allies
  • Kobolds (because they've been oppressed for too long! They also make good fodder infantry)
  • Catfolk (because they don't like the snooty dragon people and hate the Southern Wolfen even more)
  • Centaurs (because they don't like humans due to old wars)
Neutral guys who don't want to be stepped on
  • Nymphs and Faires (pacifistic at heart, squishy as well)
  • Dwarves or their replacement (don't care, will sell goods to both sides)
  • Avians (doesn't like either side but is being pressured to join by both because no one is better at aerial fighting and hit and run tactics than them though)

Those Federation of Wardens guys can just go poof since their idea never really worked out anyways.

Also I feel like I should really replace Dwarves with another race but I can't think of something off the top of my head but halflings or hobbits or something short. ((I don't really want short guys all to much.))

Though now I'm not sure what role the players would take in all this (though of course they can push the area away or towards war as they wish) and whether or not war should've already begun or is just one little thing away from beginning.

The map also needs to be redone in general and if anyone wants to volunteer that would be great, but I can manage it by myself if no one wants to help.

... if that makes sense.
10-25-2013, 01:18 AM
Is it bad that I read that as Bespectacled Horrors of Madness? Horrible abomination nerds just really amused me util I noticed my mistake.

I don't see what's so wrong with your map - care to specify what the problem is?
10-25-2013, 08:35 AM
Um, actually it's just slightly out of date and nothing that you guys would notice actually.

Last time I touched the setting info was about.... 6-8 months ago and I can mess around with the map easily enough by myself anyways.

Working on the map right now, though I'll be without computer access for a couple of days so I'll leave you with this work in progress map.
[Image: 7na25lX.png]
Oh and the doc link for those who are curious, lots of it is out of date.
http://goo.gl/zhszC

... if that makes sense.
10-25-2013, 12:06 PM
This an RPG setting? The map looks promising, if a bit generic in some of its aspects, Empire of whatever for example, not a bad thing just could use a bit more fleshing out.
10-26-2013, 07:06 PM
So, I have a bit of a problem. Or rather, I need to make a choice. As a high school student not in advanced classes, I have far more free time than almost any other demographic. And I'm not a bad GM when it comes to games like Godhood, where the players create the conflict, and I'm just there to give them an initial context and act as referee. However, I need to know if anyone would play if I started another godhood game, because the last two games I ran died due to player apathy(well, the second one did. The first one, I played too heavy a hand in it and pissed off the players. In my defense, that was two years ago, and I've gotten better).

"It is the things you did not do that you regret, 20 years from now."
-Mark Twain(maybe)
Former Squid Lord
Current Dimensional Traveler
Future Hoka- wait, I'm not Naruto.
10-26-2013, 07:18 PM
I'll probably be signing up for any godhood game that someone makes. Hopefully this is the start of a godhood renaissance that doesn't just end with a bunch of games that die prematurely. That would be awesome.
10-26-2013, 08:04 PM
Well, that's all the encouragement I need.

"It is the things you did not do that you regret, 20 years from now."
-Mark Twain(maybe)
Former Squid Lord
Current Dimensional Traveler
Future Hoka- wait, I'm not Naruto.
10-28-2013, 12:39 PM
Howdy fellas.
It's me again.
I'd just like to apologize to anyone whose games I was involved in and vanished from, as well as those who were playing games under my management.
My disappearance was unwarranted and unannounced, and frankly I'm not sure the issues behind it count as an excuse for not at least checking in or posting hiatus notices or something.
Point is, I'm sorry.
But, to make up for it, I have something unique planned. Pretty damn sure it hasn't been done before, and it should be a fun experiment.

I'm not sure anyone even cares about what I was running before, but I'm more than willing to pick back up any stagnant games people want to see more of. I know there was at least interest in YFYIAR and 1MFB, but I'll need a bit of feedback from you guys before deciding whether they should be lain to rest.
10-28-2013, 12:51 PM
-final battle should stay
-tower of god should stay
-YFYIAR should stay

Thumbs down to the rest as they've had their share of crazy and should stay dead. 'cept maybe Glitch. I'm so-so concerning Glitch.
10-28-2013, 01:04 PM
I'm also so-so concerning glitch. It feels like I've tried to aim a little too high with it, and the workload is surprisingly large for updates. Thanks for the feedback though. Glad you like TTOG. I was super excited for that but it always seems to get held up by someone. If I keep it going I'll have to set a time limit for posting. I may or may not be squeeing inside that it's appreciated.
10-28-2013, 01:43 PM
I think you should place a player limit on YFYIAR though and expand if you have time to let in one more or so. Because how do you come up with so many storylines for that many. And 2-3 people haven't responded back in the thread at all, so no use letting those stories die.
10-29-2013, 12:51 PM
I can assure you that everyone who finds themselves in a room is relevant, posting back or not. Their stories will live on, in a way. If there's one thing I actually can manage well, it's complex, convoluted storyweaving. There will never be a player limit to it though, as it sort of flies against the spirit of the game.