Frontier Fucked - Chapter 1: Ghetto Gotta Git Gone
05-06-2016, 08:25 AM
RE: Frontier Fucked - Chapter 1: Ghetto Gotta Git Gone
"Really? Don't you guys have any pets? What do they look like?" It could be that Darwin is done with Donovan for now, but it's definitely that this new guy just seems like a great guy far more worth his attention than the obvious (fake?) demon.
05-06-2016, 08:31 AM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2016 08:32 AM by MQuinny1234.)
Oh, he'd meant to say that quieter.

"Yes. Well, I mean, we've got some pets of course. Most races do I believe?"

He was slightly puzzled at suddenly being asked about his planet's pets. "I suppose, most of our pets are fish or amphibians compared to others?"

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
05-06-2016, 08:35 AM
"Well, we usually keep soft-ish animals like birds, dogs, cats, and so on. Generally the animals we keep are social as humans are social too, it only makes sense."
05-06-2016, 08:46 AM
Dogs keeping dogs? Darwin nods instead of actually saying that out loud.

"Cool. Anyone know why this is taking so long? You, sir?"

The last part is directed to the guard.
05-06-2016, 09:05 AM
Dahlia, after recovering from the shock of the taste of the cookie, crept back to the chef.

"Want more."

The one, the only, Vancho!
05-06-2016, 09:59 AM
Apollo nods in agreement. "Yeah, it would be cool if we could get moving. Like, don't get me wrong, talking about pets is cool and all, but if we're gonna continue this conversation I'd like to do it someplace with better wi-fi. Also, knowing what the fuck we're in for would be ~totally radical~."
05-06-2016, 10:02 AM
Red was back to cleaning his guns, humming the same tune as before.
05-06-2016, 11:09 AM
Wutzu sighed internally. He could see why they were impatient, but, manners. Besides, he was enjoying pleasant surroundings and interesting company. He rested his back against the plush sofa again and closed his eyes, head dropping over the top of the sofa to face the ceiling.

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
05-06-2016, 12:16 PM
Varo eyed the second robot with curiosity. They seemed more reserved than the strict chef, atleast.

Well, all things in good time. For now he moves over to take a seat on the bench, folding his legs beneath him as he observed the other's present. That odd bee-like alien was particularly curious, he'd never seen anyone quite like her before. It was good that there were things still unfamiliar to him.
05-06-2016, 12:53 PM
"OKAY, NO ONE ELSE WANTS ANY. YOU MAY GET IN AN ORDERLY LINE FOR SECONDS."
05-06-2016, 04:32 PM
Red got in line!
05-06-2016, 05:42 PM
Dahlia still didn't really understand what "orderly" or "line" meant, but she sensed that the metal taste-god was easily angered, and stood behind the tall and scaly creature. She hoped she could get a second one of those amazing "cookies".

05-06-2016, 05:50 PM
Harmonia watches the crew banter about cookies and canines.

"... This mission isn't going to end well, is it"
05-06-2016, 10:23 PM
"I wouldn't worry," Darwin offers to Harmonia just before he rushes over for seconds, "most of you guys seem well enough equipped that even someone like me feels alright at our opening prospects."

Once he gets to the front of the cookie line, he profusely thanks Chef once again for his most excellent food.
05-07-2016, 09:27 AM
[Image: 6.png]

People continue to get in line for the cookies.

The guard's visor returns to normal as he watches impassively, though he seemed surprised at the sudden movement from the Nusenic as he literally jumped from his seat to get a cookie.

The cleaner watches in amusement.

[Image: 7.png]

The side door slides open revealing a short, pudgy alien with pinkish skin, three eyes witht he center one being dominant, amphibian gills on his neck and three long seemingly boneless digits on his hands.

He looks somewhat troubled, but its hard to read the Grenvian's expression.

[Image: 8.png]

He seems to almost absent mindedly plods into the room, not noticing the gathered sophants around him as he makes his way to the conference table. The guard goes over to him and seems to snap him back to his senses. He turns to look at the gathered crew and instantly a smile breaks across his face.

"Ah! Is this everyone? Good good, you're all here! Dahlilah is it? Good to have you. You too, Dave, Diswin, Appleo, Wutzy, Harmonya," he looked over the rest seeming genuinely trying to remember their names. "And you too, Crunchy, Fifi, Wario, Mephistopholes and LC-001-X. Did I get your names right? Ah nevermind, plenty of time on the trip. So, are you all ready? Anything you need? Anything at all?"

05-07-2016, 09:30 AM
"I am ready tooooooo depart," said Dan immediately, moving around from behind the group to stand roughly next to Harmonia and Apollo.
05-07-2016, 09:30 AM
"Missile launcher? Minigun? Steak buffet?" asked Red. "If not, totally ready."
05-07-2016, 09:31 AM
Apollo slings his jansport backpack across his shoulder. "Nope. I'm ready to go."
05-07-2016, 09:37 AM
"Wutzu." he corrected, under his breath, before looking over at the new...thing. "Some information would be nice. Such as, who you are, what we're going to be doing, etc. Maybe the others here got a data package but...I'm somewhat in the dark about the fine details of this enterprise."

05-07-2016, 09:40 AM
Darwin makes an enthusiastic albeit untrained salute to the captain. "Reporting for duty sir, something the matter sir?" While talking, he attempts to psionically figure out what the problem is.
05-07-2016, 10:16 AM
"Yes, what will we be doing? When do we begin?"
05-07-2016, 10:32 AM
"I'd just like to see our ship we'll be traveling on, really. I hope it's better than my last one."

Harmonia set down her drink.

"My last one had a shanty town inside it."
05-07-2016, 10:59 AM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2016 11:08 AM by Galloglasses.)
"Well no shanty town on this ship of mine I can tell you that young lady!" The portly captain said laughing mirthfully. Although he did seem to mutter something under his breath in his native language. The guard tilted his head quizzically at the captain.

The cleaner left the room.

"And no lad, no no no, there's nothing wrong, just stressful departures is all, saying goodbye to a few people, not everybody being happy with it, I'm sure you all understand what that's like right enough right enough. Right then!" The captain stood upright then, drawing himself to his full height, all four and half feet of it. "I heard one of you asking what you're going to do? Well, right proper enough question. Long and short of it, I cant afford to be picky, most people can't, but I don't need some scummers pressganged from the street. Never know what you're going to get with that sort. In short, I need spacers, experienced one way or another, people hungry enough to go for something as wild as what I am offering and believe me, I know how unbelievable my own claims sound, but trust me trust me, I know my stuff right enough I do!"

"Engineering skills? Great! Medical Skills? All the better! Analytics, mineral geology, all that ideal crap? Great if I can get it! But like I said, I cant be picky, I need people used to improvisation, used to space, desperate enough to leave this station and motivated enough in their own self interest that I don't need to worry about them jumping ship on me first chance they get. I assume you all can take care of yourselves?"

Darwin is able to determine that out of the captain's jumble of thoughts, there's something about money owed causing the captain to be unduly troubled.

05-07-2016, 11:50 AM
"When you say take care, do you mean in a fight? I fit your minimum criteria thankfully, but if there's going to be danger, I'd like to know what could be coming, as would others I assume. Some of your own past would be nice, help us see why we should follow you bar just because you're offering a ride, no offense meant."

05-07-2016, 12:05 PM
Varo nods to himself in satisfaction. He thought he fit those criteria as well as he was going to, although he cant help but feel a spike of alarm as the kantong brought up the possibility of a firefight. He might've failed to consider that as a possibility.
05-07-2016, 12:32 PM
"Well, I think I can hold myself in a fight. I'm not great at everything but I'm good at most things! Count me in!"

What a trustyworthy frogman, thought Fido. Clearly nothing can go wrong.
05-07-2016, 01:12 PM
"Space is dangerous..." said Dan, emitting a rusty scraping noise. "I am prepared toooooo do my part."
05-07-2016, 01:13 PM
"Yeah, yeah, I'm sure we are all mostly self sufficient. Whats this treasure we're hunting anyway? "
05-07-2016, 01:20 PM
"Aha, God only knows the truth of it. But to start with..." he looked around and whispered intot he guard's ear, the man nodded to the captain and he smiled. "Technology. Old technology and lots of it, Schematics, plans, databanks everything you could possibly want. You could each build an empire alone on the knowledge stored therein. Gold, gems, precious artificial metals and materials we don't even have the energy output capacity to make anymore. Ships, maps, planets, magic, weapons and that is only counting the stuff I have corroborating evidence that they actually existed at one time."

"There's more miraculous legends of course. A bottled god, a device that can open the way to other dimensions without adverse effects, time travel, the ability to traverse to another galaxy as easily as we now travel from star to star. I put no stock in these things, why, if Spacebeard had such things, why wouldn't he use them? Bah, I say! The treasure we can hold in our hands is enough for me, I say!"

05-07-2016, 01:39 PM
Varo cant help himself, he lets a wide grin spread across his face. Even if only half of that were true, he'd be happy and satisfied for the rest of his life if he could get his hands on such a treasure trove!

"And you know where its all hidden?" he asks, just a tad eagerly.
05-07-2016, 01:41 PM
"Oh wow, it sounds almost too good to be true! I suppose we are reimbursed with the loot at the end?"
05-07-2016, 02:07 PM
Dahlia nibbled slowly on her second cookie, trying to make it last as long as possible. She gleaned that this alien was the leader of the expedition, and paid close attention to him.

"Where ship go?"

05-07-2016, 02:50 PM
"Hmmpf." He wasn't sure what he'd been looking for in an answer, but he wasn't particularly interested. Dangers had been brushed over too, that could be something at least, in a restless masochistic sense.

05-07-2016, 03:05 PM
Stomp stomp stomp

The Chef walked up the frogman in silence, its monitor displaying only static as it looked down at him. Slowly, with a quiet whirring, it brought up its tray of cookies. There was exactly one cookie left on it.

"THIS IS FOR YOU. I HOPE YOU ARE A CAPTAIN OF TASTE."
05-07-2016, 05:06 PM
Harmonia internally winces at Dan's scrapings, glad her face is too sub-optimal in design to betray it.

"Okay, whatever, whatever, I just want to get off this station and have a CHANCE of making some money. You don't need to sell me the spiel about bottled gods and stuff."

She stands up.

"I'm ready to leave this bar when you're ready to take us to our ship, Captain... Uh, what did you say your name was again, Sir?"
05-07-2016, 07:06 PM
"All sounds great to me captain! I suppose we should get going as soon as possible?"
05-08-2016, 08:54 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2016 09:05 AM by Galloglasses.)
The captain was surprised by the robot's offer of a cookie but happily ate the profferred delicacy. He seemed to really enjoy the treat.

"My this is wodnerful! Derrick, you should try one of these!" he says to the guard but the guard shook his head. "Bah! Live a little once in a while! Anyway, where was I, what? Name? Oh Jovus, I forgot. My name is Hershal." The man said cheerfully as if his name was not ridiculous. And as for your question good sir..." he said turning to Varo he tapped the side of his nose, "That... will have to be answered once we're safely on the ship and hypernode access isn't within a stone's throw distance. There's a reason I want to leave quickly, you understand, yes?"

"And our first stop will be decided once we leave port young... lady? Terribly sorry it can be hard to tell. I am unfamiliar with your species, Dahlilah. There's a few places we can go we can decide communally once aboard. And yes yes sharing out the treasure and reimbursement is all in the deal, based on what I have managed to gather, there's plenty to go around and then some, worry not your head. Instead worry about what we need to shoot our way through. Honestly, the usual dangers apply, pirates, raiders, opportunistic aliens, some... disagreeable star nations that may or may not get in our way, whatever nonsense awaits us in dark space and the frontier worlds and whoever else may be after the treasure. But the last we need to worry about the least. Been two hundred years, nobody has found Spacebeard's legendary horde, no one has any proof it even existed in the first place." He said, his very satisfied smile informing the gathered crew he had more to say on that matter, but for later.

"Right, if you will, we have a bit of a ways to walk to get to where I am docked, come on!"

Captain Hershal gestured to the guard and the guard's visor turned blue, the large shutters opened and the room was exposed tot he hanger quarters of the station.

The hanger quarters were meant to be entirely dedicated to the care and maintenance of docking ships, but they were now more or less the slums of the station, already there was a cluster of beggers outside the waiting room, some of them eagerly eyeing the captain and the crew as the emerged. The guard's visor turned green as he watched them.

It was about half an hour walk as they made their way to the area where the ship was docked. It was a squat, cramped thing, scarred and pitted in places but it wasn't visibly a pile of scrap, it certainly looked spaceworthy at the very least.

"Here we are! Haven't christened her yet, but there she is in all her glory. Now just to extend the platform before the blast doors can open." Hershal produced a remote and pressed a button. The ship audibly groaned and a slide opened up beneath the central blast door.

A wooden plank was being slowly extended.

Very.

Very.

Slowly.

This might take a while.

[Image: 9.png]

05-08-2016, 09:30 AM
"Is that a piece of wood?"

Harmonia tilted her head, somewhat puzzled.
05-08-2016, 09:37 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2016 09:38 AM by Galloglasses.)
"....N-No." the captain said. The guard chuckled.

05-08-2016, 10:16 AM
"...yep, that's a piece of wood. Heh," Red said, snapping a picture of the gangplank with his wrist-computer's crappy camera.
05-08-2016, 10:17 AM
"Is that structurally sooooound?" burbled Dan.
05-08-2016, 10:18 AM
"Sir may we uh, board without waiting or would you like to take the first steps onto your fine vessel?"

Darwin was reasonably sure a wooden plank wasn't a completely awful omen. Bad, sure, but he's seen worse (he's pretty sure, at least).
05-08-2016, 10:21 AM
"The door won't open until the plank finishes..." The captain said, sounding resigned.

05-08-2016, 10:29 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2016 10:30 AM by Acolyte Doctor.)
Fido is going to look for more pieces of wood or metal or some other space junk flotsam to reinforce the plank.

He does not trust the plank, just not one bit.
05-08-2016, 10:56 AM
"Mm, yes. Ah well, that's life for you right?" Darwin chuckles nervously. "What's a minute or two?"
05-08-2016, 11:03 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2016 11:04 AM by MQuinny1234.)
Wutzu stared at the plank. On one hand, he was looking for something more interesting in life, but on the other, not suicidally so, such as getting on a ship with a plank of wood as it's boarding method. He joins the furry thing in looking around for methods to make this seem more secure.

05-08-2016, 12:35 PM
Varo decides that he was going to have a look at whatever mechanism was responsible for lowering that plank once he got aboard. It was obviously terrible, wasteful and inefficient.

For now, he moves over to Red, giving him a casual wave. "Hey, big guy. Just thought i'd ask... I've met nusenics before, but I never really had the chance what nusenic culture is like? If you dont mind talking about that, that is," he says, flashing an uncertain grin.
05-08-2016, 06:39 PM
"CAPTAIN. I TRUST THAT THIS SHIP HAS. ADEQUATE. COOKING. FACILITIES? AND SUPPLIES AS WELL. THERE IS ONLY SO MUCH I CAN DO WITH FREEZE-DRIED RATIONS."

Chef seemed completely and utterly unperturbed by the crappy wooden plank.
05-09-2016, 01:53 AM
[Image: 1spoiler1.png]

"Hm? What? Oh I assure you LC, there's a kitchen. It is not the best of course but serviceable. Food's real too. Ship has basic reprocessors of course, water and the like, but none of that reconstituted filth they serve here on stations, no sir. I'd rather not have to eat that filth unless I really had to. Harumph."

The others gathered some discarded matel plates, planks and other detritus in an effort to try to make the gangplank more stable. The captain seemed mildly annoyed at their caution but did not say anything. A 'snrk' could be heard from the guard as they went about their business however. Traffic seemed to be picking up on the road behind them. Strange, why would anyone with hover cars be using ground lanes?

[Image: 1spoiler1.png]

05-09-2016, 02:15 AM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2016 02:15 AM by MQuinny1234.)
Drive by. Well. This is an exciting way to start then, excellent. He took a breath, as he did so, pictured himself as a silhouette, with a golden sphere of light at his core, and then the light spread throughout his body entirely, beginning Soul over Body. He breathed out and reached into a pocket, pulling out one of his three remaining smoke bombs, but instead of dropping it amongst everyone, moved to get a good line so he could throw it through the drive-by assassin's window. His other hand drew his blade as he moved towards the car to cover anyone exiting.