Masks: Tales of Heroism and Villainy
01-21-2017, 06:38 PM
RE: Masks: Tales of Heroism and Villainy
"I'M NOT YELLING," hobo man growled, "AND YEAH, THE ONLY NAME I'M GIVING HERE IS VIGIL. I REMEMBER THOSE OUR SOCIETY TRIES TO FORGET."

Oh god. This was the giant insect he'd heard about on the news. Great, this meant she was part of KNIGHT, too. Damn Illuminati. He wondered who else they'd recruited.

"NEITHER OF YOU HAVE SEEN ANOTHER GUY IN A MOTORCYCLE HELMET, HAVE YOU? HE'D HAVE A SHIELD."
01-21-2017, 06:45 PM
"Wait, you're..." Maria looked between the two of them, and it clicked to her, what sort of meeting this was. "...Oh." Oh. Oh god. This wasn't just some dragonfly lady, it was THE dragonfly lady, and not just a crazy hobo bowman, but VIGIL. Oh, oh she was way out of her league. This was just, a disaster. Why did KNIGHT send her here. Why did KNIGHT send a fucking serial killer to go fight with superheros. She felt almost bad being there, like she was lying about something. Oh god.

She hunched over a bit, elbows on the table, hands folded up in front of her mouth, and shook her head at FREAKING VIGIL. No motorcycle helmet shield guys.
01-21-2017, 06:53 PM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2017 06:56 PM by Protoman.)

A KNIGHT agent opens the door for a young Asian woman who also appears to be a KNIGHT agent. He fucks off. As soon as he's out of sight she smiles and nods before turning her headphones up to MAX. They are OBNOXIOUSLY LOUD and can be heard from a room away.

She half-closes the door, then KICKS IT THE FUCK OPEN. She then walk-dances across the room, totally unfazed by the dude in the army outfit, the girl in the hoodie, and the bug lady, does a spin at her chair, and takes her seat. She pops her headphones out and gives a cool nod.

"Sup?"
01-21-2017, 06:59 PM
Maria... loved that fucking song. But this girl was a douchebag. When did they start letting highschoolers into KNIGHT? She just shook her head, and for now, minded her own damn business.
01-21-2017, 07:01 PM
"...Would you be able to hear me if I answered you?"

Elena's headache was getting worse, and she was out of coffee. Goddammit.
01-21-2017, 07:04 PM
"Hah, yeah, no worries, yo. Akira Hayama. Nice meetin' all of you. Hey, you wanna see a cool trick?"
01-21-2017, 07:04 PM
"No."
01-21-2017, 07:05 PM
"Uh, sure?"

Elena was going to immediately regret this.
01-21-2017, 07:05 PM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2017 07:06 PM by Corn.)
Maria sighed. Damn it Dragonfly.
01-21-2017, 07:06 PM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2017 07:07 PM by Protoman.)
She raised an eyebrow at her fellow non-bug lady. "Aight, party-pooper. Nice meeting you too." What a fuckhole. Who pissed in her coffee?

"Sorry Miss Cricket, someone decided to shit all over the hype parade."
01-21-2017, 07:08 PM
"..." Elena blinked. "...Okay."

Elena walked off to get more coffee.
01-21-2017, 07:08 PM
"Party pooper... Finally I have a good superhero name..." Maria mused.
01-21-2017, 07:09 PM
"Fits you. You think you'd like to introduce yourself? Or do they not have manners in your neck of the woods?"
01-21-2017, 07:16 PM
Maria sighed. "Not particularly. Party Pooper will work. Or Coyote, I guess." She said, dryly. She clearly, clearly wanted Akira to stop talking to her.
01-21-2017, 07:17 PM
"Pooper it is! So we got pooper, here. How about you, Miss Cricket? What about Colonel Whatsisface over there?"
01-21-2017, 07:18 PM
"...I'm a dragonfly," Elena said as she wandered into the room with another cup of coffee. She seemed a lot shorter than before.

It'd make the coffee last longer.
01-21-2017, 07:19 PM
"...High energy crowd KNIGHT rounded up here, huh?"
01-21-2017, 07:20 PM
"I just spent a month pinned to the ocean floor, and I didn't even get a full night's sleep afterward. DEAL WITH IT."
01-21-2017, 07:22 PM
"Shit, man, I didn't know that! I've been through some shit too. Got my brain blown apart by some fascists last night, got shot to shit by some immortal clowns a few nights before. Didn't mean to piss you off. I was just tryin' to be friendly."

Akira sighs and stares at her phone. Her hype had completely died out.
01-21-2017, 07:23 PM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2017 07:23 PM by Anomaly.)
"...Well shit."

Elena didn't even question that. She'd seen some shit by now.

"Wait, did you say immortal clowns?"
01-21-2017, 07:26 PM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2017 07:26 PM by Protoman.)
"Yeah. Bank robbers. Kept coming back to life????? Or something?????????? It was weird. Kinda like Paycheck, oddly enough. Weren't too hard to deal with, though. Went down in three shots, just like the game."
01-21-2017, 07:27 PM
"..."

Elena stared in disbelief.

"The Paycheck guys. You took out the goddamn Paycheck guys??"

Internally, Elena was cursing herself for forgetting the basic mechanics of that stupid game.

"...Fucking shit, guess I don't need my revenge anymore."
01-21-2017, 07:32 PM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2017 07:33 PM by Protoman.)
"...Yeah, uh. Sorry dude. Didn't mean to edge in on your turf?" Akira sighs. "Fuck, man. I'm really, really not good at this whole meeting people thing. My only friends are my roommate and her shitty ex who I kinda wanna beat up. Let me give this another shot, cause I'm kinda hopin' I can be cool with you all and make some pretty stellar memories here. Even you, Pooper. Aight? So here goes."

"I'm Akira. I'm new to this whole deal and I like fightin' shit. I fucked a lot of shit up, nearly died, almost ruined my life, and KNIGHT gave me a second shot. Here's hopin' we can get along better through the rest of this shit better than we just did."
01-21-2017, 07:36 PM
"Oh, no, don't be sorry for that. I'm glad you dealt with those guys. The whole ocean thing was their fault in the first damn place."

Elena shrugged. "I, uh, sorry I yelled at you. I'm... still the Dragonfly. I guess I fight things, or something? You can show me your cool trick if you want, alright?"
01-21-2017, 07:37 PM
"Nah, man. It's a shit trick. I'm pretty sure it traumatized my little sister?????? I got regen powers that get me feelin swole as fuck when I get hurt, so I was just gonna like, stab myself with a pen and then punch a wall or something."
01-21-2017, 07:42 PM
"That, uh." Elena coughed. "That sure sounds like a trick, yeah. Maybe go with a different trick if you really want to show off."
01-21-2017, 07:42 PM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2017 07:43 PM by Palamedes.)
A new member of impromptu hero squad steps into the room. He's dressed entirely in what looks like black light body armour and helmet, is covered in a few obvious gadgets, and has a large bag slung over his shoulder. A dim blue light emits from the helmet's mask and scans the room, looking at all the heroes gathered. He probably seems pretty no-nonsense, pretty professional.

"Hey. Good to be here."

He goes over to a relatively separate seat from the others and puts his bag down under the table. He shuffles around in it for a moment, before getting up with a small notebook and a pen. He walks over to Elena. He stares at her for a moment, motionless, and sighs.

"Might as well get this over with."

His head slumps down slightly and he hands the items to her.

"You're that dragonfly thing hero right? I have a friend who's a huge fan, wants an autograph."
01-21-2017, 07:44 PM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2017 07:45 PM by Corn.)
Maria... didn't really get it, because she didn't go around being like this even though she also fucked shit up and traumatized her little sister and had no friends and got fucked up all the time and liked to fight, BUT. She supposed that commonality allowed her to forgive it.

She scrutinized at her a bit. She didn't look Norse. In any case, she extended a hand. "Coyote. And it's cool. Don't think anyone has a nerve to spare today."

Then she looked over to their newest best friend. "Ok, so we can just, acknowledge how cool this is. That's a thing we're doing?"
01-21-2017, 07:46 PM
"...Uh, hey. Sure."

Elena wrote a cursive "E", quickly scribbled it out and tore the page out of the notebook, and then slowly and carefully wrote out "THE DRAGONFLY" on a new page.

Smooth, Elena.
01-21-2017, 07:50 PM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2017 07:50 PM by Protoman.)
Akira shakes Coyote's hand, then nods toward robodude. "Nice duds, man. Reminds me of Ramen Rider. I'm Akira, this is Coyote, and you're already acquainted with Dragonfly. What do we call you?"
01-21-2017, 07:51 PM
"And then there's freaking Vigil over there. Don't forget him. Don't forget that this is the kind of thing KNIGHT is running." Maria added.
01-21-2017, 07:54 PM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2017 07:54 PM by Protoman.)
"Huh? Oh!!! You mean Robin Hoodlum of Shittingham?! That meme was dank as fuck! And all that shit with the Butchers too, I guess. I know a few ex-butchers who turned tail and ran because of you and Watchman. Sucks he disappeared."
01-21-2017, 07:55 PM
"Um, thanks. Sorry about that."

Simon warily looks across the room at the guy just sitting by himself. Deep breaths, Simon. You've gotta just get past this part and maybe they won't think you're such a huge joke.

That said, some of them looked like they were basically kids. KNIGHT must be pretty worried if they're relying on them too - though he already knew that because most of these people seemed like they had real actual powers and knew what they were doing.

He then notices that Akira had asked him something.

"I don't know? I never had to have a name before now, is that something we do ourselves? I'm still pretty inexperienced in this sort of thing, and - one sec, sorry I have to do this."

He heads over to Vigil.

"Sorry to bother you, but they also wanted yours. If you wouldn't mind?"
01-21-2017, 08:34 PM
Maria pulled her KNIGHT phone out of her pocket, and sent a text out before she freaking forgot.

Claire:
<Hey, your good pal with the best cat who you love so much.>
<Be watchful of news today.>
01-21-2017, 10:39 PM
Vigil shrugged and signed the piece of paper, writing his handle in a messy, attempted stylish fashion, the "V" bigger than the other letters.

He seemed to have tuned out during Akira's entrance, but looks back up suddenly.

"WAIT, DID YOU SAY WATCHMAN DISAPPEARED?"
01-22-2017, 04:39 AM
"Thanks, appreciate it-" Simon is cut off by even more shouting.

"I mean he hasn't been on the news or anything lately..."
01-22-2017, 05:54 AM (This post was last modified: 01-22-2017 05:55 AM by Protoman.)
"Yeah? I mean, sort of??? One day he was banging up the Irish mob, the next he was gonezo. No one's got any idea where the hell he is, 'cept the tabloids, and their best guess is that he's giving birth to a fish boy. It's a shame, too - I would've liked to see how he was in a fight. Probably better than that Tazer guy."

Akira frowned into the distance, deeply troubled at the idea that she'd missed out on a solid fight.
01-22-2017, 06:39 AM
"GUESS I'M GOING BACK TO GREAT BAY CITY AFTER THIS."

Vigil sighs, passing Simon's notebook back to him.
01-22-2017, 06:47 AM
Maria was quiet for a bit, but then sorta squinted at Vigil, curious. "... Why do you do that, with your voice? Like. two of us have already heard your regular voice. Ive already seen your face. Pooch is screwed if you're honestly worried about your identity of all things right now, and that sounds like it hurts, so why bother?"
01-22-2017, 07:02 AM
"YOU DIDN'T SEE MY FACE, I DON'T KNOW WHO YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. AND DOING WHAT I DO IS NEVER EASY."
01-22-2017, 07:08 AM
Simon grabs the notebook and puts it back in his bag. "Can't be easy on your voice, at least. If you'd like I could put something together for you like I have." He points to his helmet for emphasis.
01-22-2017, 07:12 AM (This post was last modified: 01-22-2017 07:15 AM by Corn.)
"Oh, yeah, well, let's not start the meeting up then until the other guy your size comes back, then. My bad. Just want to make sure we're all accounted for." Maria wondered if all the people KNIGHT worked with were like this. At least she could accept her whole secret identity thing was kinda out the window with this group. Or should she go outside, put her helmet on, and come back in?

She pressed this BULLSHIT no further. Not her business. Not the most pressing issue either. However, she did appreciate the attitude that this guy brought, the one who was similarly unprepared for naming themselves.
01-22-2017, 07:17 AM
Akira offered the gruff man a smile. He seemed legit distressed - maybe even more upset than she was over missing out on a fight. Maybe some friendly chatter'd help with that.

"If you want, I could show you around. Give you a big tour of the place. I mean, it sounds like you're familiar with it already, but if you're ever interested in the underground scene - fight clubs, sick bars, where to buy weed - I'm your girl."
01-22-2017, 10:51 AM
Taking a deep breath, Layla centers herself. She's about to march into a conference room of goodness knows how many people, and that meant an even bigger headache.
Still, she only allows herself half a minute. Anything more than that is just excessive, and it's best to jump into the deep end all at once. Rip off the band-aid.

Drawing in a deep breath, she swings the door open with her arm, stepping into the conference room and into a bunch of people she's never, ever seen before. Also, a bunch of feelings and presences she's never experienced before! Meeting new people is so, so great. She really, really loves it. As is evident by the grimacing expression visible behind her mask.

Oh yeah, she's wearing a mask. In fact, she's got an entire outfit that appears to have been tailor-made for her. Most of her body is covered in deep purple fabric with gold accents. The boots on her feet are strange, and appear to be baring the soles and arches of her feet. Her gloves as well only cover two of her fingers and the backs of her hands, leaving her palms open. Her skin is dark, revealing her race to be mixed. Easily interpreted as African-American. The rest of her form is covered in a tight tunic and leggings, with a sash at her waist and a caplet draped over her shoulders. She's got the fabric pulled up, covering her hair, as well. The mask on her face obscures her cheekbones and nose, pretty standard as far as masks go. Only her eyes, lips, chin, and part of her eyebrows and forehead are visible. It's enough for her to emote and look pained.

"Tell me what I missed. Fill me in. Looks like I'm later than I wanted to be."
01-22-2017, 10:56 AM (This post was last modified: 01-22-2017 10:58 AM by Protoman.)
Akira waves, smiling her BEST SMILE. Shit went ROUGH at first but it was GETTING BETTER and she was gonna make SO MANY BUFF FRIENDS TO FIGHT WITH TODAY.

"Sup! You haven't missed much. We've just been dickin' around, introducing ourselves n' shit. I'm Akira Hayashi, mutant extraordinaire, probably. These secretive motherfuckers are Vigil, Coyote, Dragonfly, and a Ramen Rider knockoff who's yet to give us his name. I'm just gonna call him Ramen 'till he comes up with something."
01-22-2017, 11:01 AM
Leaving the door open is RUDE, so Layla steps in and lets it close behind her, opting to remain standing rather than taking a seat. She's gotta judge who's best to sit by anyway. As in, who would give her the least brain pain to sit in close proximity to.

"Nice to meet all of you!" There's a brightness to her eyes that rings genuine as she surveys them all, arms crossed over her chest. "You can call me Valence." It's difficult not to laugh at 'Ramen', but she manages. Just barely, though. Seems a fitting name. Valence ain't very buff looking though. She looks fit, but not buff. Not that tall, either. Gal's barely 5'6".
01-22-2017, 11:04 AM
Vigil looks to this poor woman who forgot her shoes. If he had an extra pair he'd offer one. When Akira mentions him (that wolfish smile was concerning), he nods in response.

His mind was mostly preoccupied. Worries and dread. But that was hardly something he wasn't used to.
01-22-2017, 11:42 AM
Maria blinked. No. fucking. way. Valence. Who else was going to come by? Ultraman? She did not belong here. She felt bad. These were all like, superheroes, and she was just some secretive vigilante. KNIGHT had strange sensibilities, that was for sure. Was everyone even going to be cool with her schtick? Someone would have to make a connection or two. Ugh. If only she remembered to bring her mask. She raised a hand to wave lightly, when her name was mentioned.

Odd outfit, but it was better than 'hoodie and pants' so she supposed she had nothing to say about that that mattered. "Umm. Welcome. I guess. To the team? Not sure how this is working."
01-22-2017, 12:23 PM
Hey, now. Valence has shoes. These are SPECIALLY DESIGNED shoes that leave the bottoms of her feet open. It's for, like, functional purposes, okay? Learn how shoes work. Learn some craftsmanship.

"It's a pretty big pleasure to be here." She shifts her weight, sticking her hip out. Surveying the people in front of her again just affirms her decision to stay standing. "Do we know what we're doing yet? Do we have any other information? Or are we all just wasting time here?"
01-22-2017, 12:33 PM
A tall man in an electrician's smock, black rubber-soled shoes, and goggles covering a large part of his face steps into the room. Though he steps purposefully, he has a nervous look about him, and he glances about the room, goggles resting on each of the other six. He finds a chair and sits, back straight and hands uncomfortably resting on the table.

"Hello, I'm Max... Nice to meet you."

The one, the only, Vancho!