Masks: Tales of Heroism and Villainy
01-07-2018, 11:43 AM
RE: Masks: Tales of Heroism and Villainy
“Vigil... Was that a joke...”
01-07-2018, 01:19 PM
"I don't... have any 'brain damage', okay?" Eva said, frowning. "I've been dead for a year, okay? I've been dead, and everything is different and I can't talk to my family and I was just informed my friend is dead and my one lead into what I can possibly do now is gone. So I'm a little out of sorts, okay?" Eva ran a hand through her hair, irritated.

"I'm not a robot either, and if you think I am, you can shove it."
01-07-2018, 01:25 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2018 01:26 PM by Cidellus.)
Franklin came in leading the Demon of Angel City and a rather strange man in an armored cobra costume. A bag was on his back.

The Demon gave Nick Urias and the Raven looks before going to find a seat. Meanwhile, the cobra man reached into his bag and pulled out...two live cobras.

"I AM THE COBRAAA KIIIING!" he yelled to them all, waving his live cobras around, hissing for added effect.
01-07-2018, 01:26 PM
"...I'm not entirely sure that's humane," Emily said quietly.
01-07-2018, 01:28 PM
"WHY"

Vigil deadpanned as a live cobra was waved in his face.

"OH GOD PLEASE DON'T BRING IN TANK MAN NEXT, I WON'T GO RED REAPER BUT I WILL KICK HIM IN THE BALLS."
01-07-2018, 01:30 PM
Maria put her hand on her face. She went to go sit down. Next to Casey because they were about to have a TALK. But she needed a second first. A second to deal with this bullshit. This probably unethical bullshit.

She let out a long-suffering sort of sigh.
01-07-2018, 01:31 PM
"FEAR NOT, FOR WHILE I AM A THIEF, I AM A NOBLE ONE! MY COBRAS AND I SHALL FIGHT AT YOUR SIDE IN THIS BATTLE!" he said, throwing on some weird snake voice. "HISSSSSSSSS!"

And then Bald Eagle came in leading...Don Diamante.

"How you all doing?" he asked. He was a large crystalline man wearing a pinstriped suit. "Hey, Kane. Been a while."

He gave Casey a pat on the cheek.
01-07-2018, 01:32 PM
Emily just... also sat down vaguely near Maria. This was... too much to deal with. All of this.
01-07-2018, 01:33 PM
"HOW ARE YOUR SNAKES GOING TO HELP AGAINST ROBOTS"

Marcus regretted not bringing his metal detector. Those snakes could be robot spies.
01-07-2018, 01:33 PM
Eva went back to being confused. Who were all these people? They... didn't seem like heroes. Was this situation really that desperate?...
01-07-2018, 03:24 PM
Lux thought Eva looked like she was totally spacing out. Which was fair. "Hey, do you get hungry? Or. Even if not, might make you feel better to try eating something. C'mon, Dragonfly and I can catch you up on the past year." She said, gently nudging the dead girl over towards the snack table.
01-07-2018, 03:34 PM
"...I don't even remember." Eva said to Lux, the defeat evident in her voice. Still, even attempting to eat something sounded nice, and it wasn't like she had anything better to do. "But... that sounds good. It'd be nice to know what's even going on anymore." She complied with Lux's nudging, moving over to the snack table with her, though she was still a touch wary of her.
01-07-2018, 03:38 PM
The Dragonfly fixed Eva up a SNACK PLATE!
01-07-2018, 03:44 PM
Isidora shrugs at Valence. "It is unhealthy, but I could, if I chose to do so. I'd rather watch you two delight in it than take part in it myself."
01-07-2018, 03:56 PM
"So...the first big thing hit towards the end of summer in 2016... We call it the One Day War because, well..." She shrugged, and gave a quick summary of THAT DAY, including KNIGHT's role and the huge swathes of devastation that the aliens left behind. Then she hit the high points of the next year, the reconstruction, etc, with some contributions from Sydney.

"Then STORM reared its ugly head...not too long ago, really. They infiltrated KNIGHT after the war, and just kinda... uh. Blew up all the bases in a day. It was bad. But, hey, the good news is... You're probably listed in the records as super dead, still. So they probably wouldn't be going after your family." She followed that with a notably sparser report of events in Winter...really letting Sydney take the lead on that. Lux wasn't here for that, so she wasn't clear on it all.
01-07-2018, 05:13 PM
Eva quietly listened to Lux and Sydney's explanation as to what the world had been up to while she was gone. Wow that... sure was a lot of stuff. That all happened in a single year. Jesus, she missed a whole lot.

"...Great..." Eva managed, picking lightly at a piece of cheese. "At least... being dead is working out for me?" She sighed, shoulders slumping, and ran a hand through her hair. "Well, your explanation certainly... explains things." Eva looked down at the ground, then up at Lux. "Uh... thanks. For your help. I... haven't really introduced myself to anybody here, so..." She awkwardly held out a hand. "I'm Eva."
01-07-2018, 05:17 PM
A teenager in rather similar armor to Vigil's walked in, holding a bow. She was taller than average for her age, with a swift, athletic build, and carried a quiver of arrows on her back. She looked somewhat out of breath, and looked over at Vigil.

"Sorry I'm late, everybody," she said. "SOMEBODY left me behind to handle gangs while robots took over the world."

Grumbling, she went and sat down.
01-07-2018, 05:17 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2018 05:19 PM by Whimbrel.)
"Oh, right, you wouldn't know me either," she sort of half laughed, taking the handshake. "Lux." Anyone with a smattering of latin knowledge would know the light punning going on there.

At the OTHER TEEN's entrance, Lux looked up, startled. Who the heck that? Then she looked over to Vigil.

Same armor? Same armor.

Wasn't he AGAINST teen fighters? Hm. Lux frowned.
01-07-2018, 05:21 PM
"DEVALA?! WHAT ARE YOU- LISTEN, I THOUGHT BLACKHEART AND I WERE GOING OUT TO HUNT A FEW ROBOTS, I DIDN'T THINK THIS WILL BE A WHOLE ATTACK SITUATION."

Vigil crossed his arms.

"ALSO? SHERMINGHAM MIGHT, YOU KNOW, NEED THE HELP. YOU DIDN'T NEED MY APPROVAL TO MASSACRE ALIENS THERE WHILE I WAS OFF IN D.C. LAST TIME"
01-07-2018, 05:24 PM
"Yeah, but the important stuff is happening here. Plus, our other friend is safeguarding our families while we save the world," Devala told him. "Three bows is better than two."
01-07-2018, 05:25 PM
"Hey, Vigil? Whooo's thaaaat?" Lux called out, curiously taunting him from the snack tables.
01-07-2018, 05:26 PM
"Nice to meet you." Eva replied, though she was a little unnerved at how Lux was looking at her. Still, it was nice for somebody to at least partially catch her up on things. The arrival of a new person seemed to catch Lux's attention, and Eva quietly observed the proceedings.
01-07-2018, 05:28 PM
"THAT IS, UNFORTUNATELY, A WAYWARD YOUTH WHOM I'M MENTORING, BECAUSE THEY INSIST ON RUNNING OUT AND BEING A VIGILANTE WHETHER I'M OKAY WITH IT OR NOT. YOU'D UNDERSTAND, LUX."

Vigil shrugged.

"I CAN VOUCH FOR HER CAPABILITIES, THOUGH. SHE'S TWICE THE ARCHER I WAS AT HER AGE. COMBAT TRAINED, TOO. AND ONCE AGAIN, I DIDN'T THINK THIS WAS AN APOCALYPSE SITUATION SETTING OUT."
01-07-2018, 05:35 PM
"All right. I'll forgive you. This time," she said.

Then she glanced at the hole in the ceiling tiles.

"I'll be up there."

She shot a grapple hook arrow and climbed on up, perching on one of the more solid beams.
01-07-2018, 05:35 PM
"SEE, WELL TRAINED."

Vigil nodded approvingly.
01-07-2018, 05:36 PM
Maria put a hand on her heart.

And then squinted very harshly at Marcus.
01-07-2018, 05:36 PM
"...Is there a hideout for raccoons up there or something?" Lex mutters, not quite sure what to make of the other teen.
01-07-2018, 05:38 PM
Vigil looked over to Maria, then threw up his hands.

"WHAT? KNIGHT SAVED A BUNCH OF KIDS FROM ORWELL, SHE CHOSE NOT TO FORGET HER TRAINING, THEN I CAME BACK FROM DC TO HER MURDERING A LOT OF ALIENS WHILE I WAS OUT. SHE WAS LIVING IN THE WOODS. I HAD TO TAKE HER UNDER MY WING TO CONVINCE HER TO BE LESS LIKE ME. WORKING BETTER THAN I THOUGHT SO FAR."
01-07-2018, 05:38 PM
Isidora steps away. "...Actually, just a moment you two. I think I need to handle something."

She strolls up to Casey and puts a hand on his shoulder. Best defuse this while she could.

"Mr. Kane. Do you mind if I speak with you?"
01-07-2018, 05:39 PM
"She just went in the exact same ceiling cubby you did," Lex pointed out. Still, she sounded pretty impressive. Lex... kind of wanted to fight her? But in a friendly way.

Maybe after the war.
01-07-2018, 05:40 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2018 05:46 PM by Corn.)
Maria listened. And she nodded, sometimes one’s Best wasn’t what folks needed, it was what they got.

But then she squinted again, gesturing with her head toward Lex, and with her hand to the raccoon in the ceiling like, you sure?
01-07-2018, 05:40 PM
"I MEAN THERE'S A WHOLE LOT OF CEILING UP THERE, THAT'S JUST THE TILE I WAS GETTING READY TO JUMP REAPER FROM IF HE DIDN'T TAKE THAT GUN OFF YOU. OR TRIED TO SHOOT MARIA."
01-07-2018, 05:52 PM
Casey had remained with his head down on his crossed arms for all the shit going on, not wishing to engage or draw attention, just resting til it started and letting his body shift into it's rocky state naturally. But once a certain man entered, his back obviously tensed up and his hands balled into fists, but he didn't rise up. At the pat in the cheek from Diamante, his body shook for a few seconds before hardening and stiffening up again, as again he didn't seem to acknowledge anything. He twitched at Isodora's hand, but when she asked, after about five seconds, he pulled himself up and stared at her, making hard eye contact and completely ignoring anything else right now.

His voice, clearly strained but willed to be stead said "Sorry. What is it?" He gave her a look up and down but didn't react to her get-up before eye-contact again.

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
01-07-2018, 05:54 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2018 05:58 PM by Protoman.)
She speaks gently and motions towards the armory. "Perhaps somewhere... slightly less crowded might be a better place to chat, hm? Or perhaps another room."
01-07-2018, 05:56 PM
"SO DIAMANTE, WHAT'S YOUR DEAL? I THINK I'VE HEARD YOU'RE A REAL STAND UP GUY AROUND... WHERE WAS IT, SCATH? LIKE, YOU'VE TURNED YOUR LIFE AROUND FROM BEING A CRIMINAL. THAT'S NEAT."

Vigil crossed his arms, bored, ill-equipped for small-talk, but unable to retreat to his ceiling hideout while his sidekick was hogging it.
01-07-2018, 05:59 PM
"I was never a criminal," Diamante insisted, having found a sturdy chair. "All that stuff? Just rumors. Stereotypes."
01-07-2018, 06:00 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2018 06:00 PM by MQuinny1234.)
"If you wish." He didn't sound like he cared really. Casey stood up, and unless physically stopped ignored the hell out of anyone else as he followed Isadora. Although, he did stumble slightly as Vigil started talking, putting a grip on the doorway, a very tight grip. God, he wanted to put a fist through the wall, or Diamante, or Vigil. He couldn't listen to that-...He tried very hard to mentally drown out certain people's words.

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
01-07-2018, 06:02 PM
She pulls him to an unoccupied room, then.

"...Mr. Kane, I need to know something before we continue: Do you regret what you did?"
01-07-2018, 06:03 PM
"OH, HUH. SORRY, THEN. I MEAN IT'D BE AN INSPIRING STORY, MAYBE THAT'S WHY IT GETS AROUND. YOU COULD PROBABLY GET A MOVIE MADE OUT OF SOMETHING LIKE THAT. REAL FEEL GOOD STUFF."

Vigil shrugged.

"OH WELL. SO, OTHER THAN, UH, BEING A GIANT CRYSTAL MAN, WHAT'S YOUR DEAL?"
01-07-2018, 06:05 PM
Casey just...gave Isadora a slightly wild look. "I-...I." He clearly struggled slightly for a bit, before wrestling himself back into a decent state, or the seeming of it anyway. "Yes. Yes I do. Was that it?" He asked, tone on edge slightly.

01-07-2018, 06:09 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2018 06:09 PM by Cidellus.)
"I run a variety of businesses around Scath, and the Northeast," Diamante said. "Do a little of this, little of that. Mainly construction."
01-07-2018, 06:09 PM
She shakes her head. "I'm not here to mock you, Mr. Kane. I just want to ensure this isn't a waste of my time. Redemption is the purview of those who have recognized they've done wrong."

She takes a seat.

"Human beings are not meant to be shackled by their sin. They are not meant to be bound by their mistakes for all of eternity. I've asked you to speak with me to offer you my perspective on these matters. You started as a hero, and I'd like to believe you still want to be one. If I'm correct, and if you think this a discussion worth having, please, sit with me and we can chat."
01-07-2018, 06:11 PM
"YEAH, ALRIGHT, THAT'S AN HONEST BUSINESS. HARD WORK."

Vigil nodded approvingly, clearly having no real experience with mobst-legitimate businessmen.
01-07-2018, 06:11 PM
Maria gave Don a... Curious look...
01-07-2018, 06:13 PM
Casey stared again at Isadora. Really? Really?!?! Well, this was new he supposed. God he didn't want to have this conversation with...well, right now anyway. But. He definitely could not go back into the room, letting Isadora talk at him was better. He sighed. "Okay, okay." He said, giving up slightly as he pulled up a chair and sat down. "Alright..." He rubbed at his face and readied himself. "Okay. So, who are you by the way?"

01-07-2018, 06:15 PM
"Isidora Gabriella Cruz." She offers him a black-gloved hand. "A pleasure."
01-07-2018, 06:17 PM
"Construction drones? Excellent investment, kid," Diamante told Marcus. "You can make a construction company with almost nothing, and there's a lot of rebuilding to be done to this day. Then you invest the money you made from that in alien R&D? Boom. You make a fortune."
01-07-2018, 06:17 PM
He limply shook it. "Casey Kane. Same."

Wasn't listening to the other room, nope.

01-07-2018, 06:18 PM
“You still know where those are?” Maria asked Don.
01-07-2018, 06:19 PM
"HUH. ISN'T THERE, LIKE, PROGRAMMING AND MAINTENANCE... WAIT, ALIEN R&D? I NEED TO GET IN ON THAT."