Masks: Tales of Heroism and Villainy
01-07-2018, 06:22 PM
RE: Masks: Tales of Heroism and Villainy
"Out on jobs," Diamante told Maria before looking to Marcus. "Yeah, that's why you hire a few eggheads to take care of that. And yes, alien R&D is a solid investment."
01-07-2018, 06:24 PM
“So you don’t know, just to clarify?” Maria asked. Her tone wasn’t accusatory. Just curious.
01-07-2018, 06:24 PM
"WHY'S THE LOCATION OF HIS DRONES MATTER, COYOTE-"

Vigil sort of starts.

"OH."

He looks over to her.

"THERE'S A LOT OF DRONES OUT THERE, ISN'T THERE"
01-07-2018, 06:26 PM
“Last thing #Hero got before getting cut out, was that a lot of construction drones and raw materials were being commandeered. Everywhere. So. Yeah. Just curious if his are among them.” Maria shrugged.
01-07-2018, 06:27 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2018 06:27 PM by Protoman.)
"Mr. Kane, I'm absolutely certain you don't need me to tell you that what you did is evil. It clings to your soul, and drives you further into evil. It has sent you spiraling deeper and deeper into pain. Your own pain, and the pain of others. It clings to you like an anchor. It hopes to drown you in a sea of despair. As I said, I'm certain no one is more keenly aware of your situation than you are. I hope only to offer you a way out."

She pulls off her glove and holds out her hand, palm facing upward.
01-07-2018, 06:30 PM
"OH THAT'S NOT GREAT."

VIGIL sighed, leaning backwards.

"THAT'S NOT-"

He stops, thinking about something... How... How robotic was the Project he'd asked Burson to work on for him?
01-07-2018, 06:31 PM
Oh Christ. Her words actually hurt him. He stared at her offered hand. "Is this...Now, I'm asking this because of the context of everyone else here. Is this a Religion thing or a Magic thing?" He finally asked suspiciously.

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
01-07-2018, 06:35 PM
It wasn't particularly robotic or AI-driven.

"Wait, are you telling me that this AI robot whatever has stolen MY stuff!?" roared Diamante, getting to his feet. "I'll BEAT EVERY LAST ONE OF THOSE SONS A BITCHES. NOBODY FUCKS WITH MY BUSINESS! NOBODY!"

He punched a hole in the wall.
01-07-2018, 06:35 PM
Casey took a moment to stare at the fist that had erupted through the wall. "...Heh."

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
01-07-2018, 06:36 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2018 06:36 PM by Protoman.)
She glances at the fist for literally half a second before turning back to Casey.

"I am a servant of Christ. I make no secret of it. But that doesn't mean I'm doing missionary work. I understand that my calling is not that of a proselytizer. I simply hope to do what good I can and to live by my God's command. I neither expect nor desire the same of you. Besides, if you were to convert out of despair, it would serve no one. It would not produce faith, but dependence and desperation. That is not what I am here to deliver you."
01-07-2018, 06:36 PM
Yeah, that shouldn't be a problem, unless Burson took his own direction with it or something. It was probably fiiiiiine.

And then Don punched a hole into the wall.

"WELL, UH. GLAD YOU'RE FIRED UP, THEN."

He gives a worried look to Coyote.
01-07-2018, 06:38 PM
"Okay, so, to be clear. This, isn't a magic thing." He asked again, as he cautiously put a hand into Isadora's.

01-07-2018, 06:41 PM
Maria blinked. “... That’s the spirit!” She offered, warily...

She shared that look with Marcus. And then she shrugged a little bit. At least he was with them.
01-07-2018, 06:51 PM
She shakes her head. "I'm no mage. Quite the opposite."

She closes her other hand atop Casey's. "Casey, what I've come here to offer you is forgiveness. I cannot impart it in the way the family of those you hurt can. I cannot grant it on behalf of any divine omnipotence. But as a fellow human being, I put my faith in you. I recognize that you are sorry for your sins, that they torment you and tear at your heart, and I offer you forgiveness. I believe you will try to do what is right again, knowing well that you may fail and that my heart may hurt for it. I will believe again, and again, and again, no matter the hurt it causes me, so long as you are still sincere in your efforts to improve." She holds up a finger. "Do not mistake my words - do not kill any innocent, or I will have to fight you, if only to defend the weak. But still..."

Her eyes drift downwards. "We are all flawed creatures of vice and shame. We sin, and we sin, and we sin again. We hurt others, shame all that is good with our wrongdoing. Indeed, we are unworthy of forgiveness, for we will always fail and fail and fail again." They drift back up to Casey's. "...All the same, we receive it. And all the same, I believe that you have good within you still. I will support you in your efforts to shelter that light, to foster it, and to move forward in spite of the past that weighs heavy on your shoulders."
01-07-2018, 07:06 PM
And then, another hero walked in.

It was the Rookie. A rather athletic middle-aged man in a baseball uniform, umpire armor, and a catcher's mask. He was holding a simple wooden baseball bat.

He waved to everybody.

"Hey Vigil, been a while!" he said.
01-07-2018, 07:06 PM
"GOD DAMMIT"
01-07-2018, 07:10 PM
"..." He sniffed slightly. The sentiment behind her words was nice, he thought. He rubbed his sleeve over his eyes, tearing the fabric slightly but... "Thanks for that."

01-07-2018, 07:19 PM
She nods. "I hope it's enough to guide you toward a path of righteousness. Moreover, I hope you find it within you to fend off temptation towards evil."
01-07-2018, 07:25 PM
Emily's eyes flicked around the room as she watched all these people doing their whole superhero thing. She wasn't going to get involved unless someone hurt someone else.
01-07-2018, 07:34 PM
That was a lot of unfounded faith, but, he appreciated it anyway. Shame she had it in him, he'd have to try to not obviously let her down like an idiot.

"Again, thank you. I'll...I'll see."

01-08-2018, 03:47 AM
Max looked at Don Diamante.

"If you've got a landline to your company, you should tell them to shut down and lock down everything. Actually, everyone with a company that isn't totally isolated from the internet should do that."

The one, the only, Vancho!
01-08-2018, 05:59 AM
“Hey! It will just make us relatable! If they ask we say we are just getting pizza! My favorite pizza is either Hawaiian or Meat lover. “ She gasps when she heard Isidora doesn’t eat pizza. “Hey! You know you can treat yourself once in a while!” She commented when she walked away.

She continued to hang with Valence, just watching the people coming in and listening into conversations, man she really needed to keep up with the news more... She doesn’t know half of who these people are.

She did perk up when she saw the Rookie come in. She just shouted across the room. “Hey another sports person!! Hey sports dude!! I’m also sports!”
01-08-2018, 08:21 AM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2018 09:15 AM by Cidellus.)
The Rookie waved at Cass and walked over, sitting down.

"Hey! Just a baseball person myself!" he said.

Franklin came up leading a final person before promptly fucking off again!

Good ol' Franklin!
01-08-2018, 10:50 AM
Franklin’s most recent delivery was a slim young woman with long wet blonde hair and a white mask and leaning on a shining golden spear. She looked a little bedraggled - her showy white costume was damp and a bit grubby, and she was trembling slightly from some combination of exhaustion and nerves. Yasmine’s mouth opened slightly as she looked around the room. “Hi, everyone! Hi, you’re… and you, I saw you on, like… Wow. Whew. Okay. Uh, I’m Siren! I help out the Streak sometimes? I… man, you guys probably haven’t heard of me, don’t worry about it.” Her shoulders slumped a little. “Also sorry for the sewer-rat look, I just swam from Texas. So what’s going on?”
01-08-2018, 10:57 AM
"YOU SWAM FROM WHERE NOW?"
01-08-2018, 10:59 AM
”How?”
01-08-2018, 11:24 AM
"Just swam it. Defender of the seas, that's me! Or, would be. If I lived near a sea." She gave a nervous little laugh. "Um, can confirm the water seems clear, by the way. At least the fish didn't seem nervous? But, like, their memories are super bad anyways, so they might just have got distracted by a shiny worm. What's happening here?"
01-08-2018, 01:34 PM
Maria got up, and pointed to the seat like, yo, you seriously fucking swam here, REST.

“You haven’t missed... the most. We’re mostly just waiting for things to actually start since usually when a whole shitload of us get rounded up there’s something in particular they want us to do. Red Reaper isn’t with us because he didn’t respect the general amnesty due to, you know, the world being in danger, so if you feel like... Spearing anybody here, maybe save it till we’re done.”
01-08-2018, 01:37 PM
Isidora pats him on the shoulder. "I wish you well, then, and hope that you deny your demons. For both of our sake."

And with that, she returns to the room!
01-08-2018, 01:58 PM
Casey was slightly weirded out about the amount of personal stake she was putting on him. The 'for both of our sake' thing seemed oddly sinister.

Well. He sniffed, composed himself, mentally blocked out the existance of Diamante, and went back in too.

Huh, new people. Some sports people? And, some what, valkyrie girl? Who was damp? Well, okay. He'd been too. Casey cautiously walked up to her and offer her his towel.

01-08-2018, 02:01 PM
"WHY DID YOU JUST HAVE A TOWEL ON YOU"
01-08-2018, 02:03 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2018 02:03 PM by MQuinny1234.)
"I came in with it?" Casey answered, jerking and then glancing at Vigil. "Also, good to see you again Vigil."

And good that your throat hasn't fallen apart already. Dude must go through lozenges like mad.

01-08-2018, 03:03 PM
"Oh, wow, thanks! I really didn't think anyone would have a towel!" Yasmine accepted the towel maaaybe a little gingerly, then shrugged and wrapped it around her hair in a big cone. Screw elegance. Live every day like an Instagram pug. She collapsed into the seat Maria indicated. "And I wasn't gonna stab anyone, don't worry! I mean, we're all here for the same reason, right?" Her eyes darted around the room, widening a little with every media-famous hero she spotted. "Whatever that turns out to be, I guess?"
01-08-2018, 03:14 PM
“We should be. Glad you’re in on it.” Maria, like, kinda stared for a sec, hardly believing she could just... swim there... so fast... “... Christ, we just need to put the robots in the water and you’ll have them taken care of.”
01-08-2018, 03:25 PM
"If only it were that easy..." Max muttered.

01-08-2018, 04:28 PM
Bald Eagle came in alongside THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!

The President was wearing his usual black suit with a blue tie, while Bald Eagle was wearing the RED, WHITE, AND BLUE POWER ARMOR.

"Right! Take a seat, everybody!" he yelled out. "Let's get this show on the road!"

Secret Service personnel entered the room as well, taking up positions around the room. Presumably, everybody sat down.

The President then went up on stage while Bald Eagle stood off to the side.

"Welcome to the Pentagon, everybody. REALLY wish this wasn't necessary, but robot apocalypses tends to require this sort of thing," he said.

A Secret Service guy lowered the projector screen, and a projector lit up, displaying a map of the United States.

"So, according to intelligence, we've got a few possible locations our robot friends could be holing up," the President explained.

Blips in the Rocky Mountains, the Permian Basin, the Great Basin, and Death Valley lit up on the screen.

"Four locations. We're thinking they're building some kind of superfortress at each one, so...yeah. Not looking good."
01-08-2018, 04:33 PM
Vigil raised his hand.

"SO, UH, ARE WE LOOKING AT A GLOBAL ATTACK SCENARIO LIKE THE ALIENS, OR ARE WE GOING TO BE CARRYING THE OFFENSIVE TO THEM?"
01-08-2018, 04:34 PM
“Fuck if we’re letting them get out of them... Right?” Maria looked worriedly between Vigil, the screen, and the president.
01-08-2018, 04:40 PM
"We might be, Vigil. We're not sure how prepared they are for war. They haven't had long, but that doesn't mean much with them," the President said before looking to Maria. "And yeah, no. We're going to be attacking them with whatever we can. Can't let them get more prepared than they already are."
01-08-2018, 04:48 PM
Eva quietly listened and observed. This was the first time that somebody was actually going in depth about the whole 'robot apocalypse' thing, and she was finally ready to see what the hell was actually going on.
01-08-2018, 05:47 PM
Emily looks concerned!

On the bright side, the Hippocratic Oath doesn't apply to evil robots. Of course, Emily wasn't really capable of doing much harm, but, you know... still??
01-09-2018, 01:40 AM
Without people actively threatening to murder and maim and hurt each other, this was getting slightly more bearable. Valance relaxes just a little bit, rubbing at her throat before lowering her hands entirely. No need to blast anything. Gonna save that for the...actual hero stuff.

"Pineapple pizza is good," She says simply, then watches Cass shout across the room at another person? That's just a normal-person headache because of normal-person loudness, but she doesn't remark on it.

She watches as people come in, then the presentation starts! Oh boy!
"So...is there one spot in particular we're gonna be starting with, or are we dividing up to try simultaneous...like...searches?" She glances around the room, kind of...hoping it's her turn to speak, right now.
01-09-2018, 02:03 AM
"We'll need to attack several locations at once," the President said.
01-09-2018, 02:12 AM
“... Are we the whole shebang?” Maria asked, feeling like, maybe, she knew the answer. “For the US? Are we going to have to split this group up?”
01-09-2018, 02:23 AM
"You aren't the whole deal, but maybe," he told her. "The army, and especially the air force, will be able to help out with the various bases. But we can't mobilize the entire might of the US military against them, due to how jammed up all our infrastructure is. That's where you all come in. It's easy to move a small, powerful unit around as opposed to large numbers of troops. But yes, paratroopers will be helping you on the ground, and you'll have access to air support."
01-09-2018, 04:26 AM
Max said,

"I don't know if you're already doing this, Mr. President, but you should order the power grid shut down to everything non-essential. Resource denial will help limit the AI's choices."

01-09-2018, 06:20 AM
"Do we have any specific information on the different bases, besides location?"
01-09-2018, 06:51 AM

Maria started rifling in her bag. She pulled from it a small statue, of a crying woman with a long veil. She set that on the ground, set down a couple candles beside it, and then disappeared. A moment later, she returned, a big lump of clay now on a plate in her lap. Her gloves were off, and she started sculpting while she listened in.
01-09-2018, 07:16 AM
The President nodded grimly at Max's suggestion.

"We already tried it. It seems as if the AI has taken physical control over large portions of the power grid. We have army forces garrisoned at power plants deemed strategically important, but this war is progressing faster than we thought," he said. "That happened just before I came in here."

He looked to Lex.

"We're working on that. Satellites are down too, so intelligence gathering is getting difficult."
01-09-2018, 07:25 AM
"We should probably move sooner than later, then." Lux nods.