Masks: Tales of Heroism and Villainy
01-09-2018, 07:33 AM
RE: Masks: Tales of Heroism and Villainy
"We believe that the AI's intention is to finish these four strong points, use them to construct armies, and then use those armies to expand their hard power throughout North America. Based on what we know, their fortresses are fortified against direct nuclear strikes. And they are almost completely underground."
01-09-2018, 08:56 AM
"FIGURES."

Vigil crossed his arms.

"OUR TEAMS COULD USE SMOKE SIGNALS TO COMMUNICATE WITHIN SHORT DISTANCES, BUT IT MIGHT NOT BE SECURE IF THE AI NOTICES."
01-09-2018, 09:59 AM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2018 10:00 AM by MQuinny1234.)
Casey had sort of wanted that towel back, but ohshit, the president. He sat down with the rest and listened to the frankly disheartening news.

The fuck was that thing Coyote did. Okay, she was weirder since last time.

"If they're underground, I can get people in there through tunnels. Amd sorta extreme but going off Max's thing, there's nothing stopping us totalling our own power grid with EMPs right? I don't know science but what would happen if we dropped them above the bases, wouldn't that disrupt the siphoned power supplies to them anyway?"

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
01-09-2018, 10:51 AM
"THEY MIGHT HAVE REACTORS UP BY NOW."
01-09-2018, 01:17 PM
"You have enough bunker busters to hit all four locations?" Max asked.

The one, the only, Vancho!
01-09-2018, 02:25 PM
Isidora raises a hand. "Do we have any information about the robots' armament?"
01-09-2018, 02:48 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2018 02:49 PM by Cidellus.)
"They're hardened against bunker buster strikes," he explained. "And no information on armament. Probably mostly conventional."

He looked to Casey.

"We don't have any giant EMP bombs lying around. Unless you mean nukes. Would prefer to avoid nuking the upper atmosphere."
01-09-2018, 03:10 PM
"DO WE KNOW WHAT TYPES OF DETECTION THEY'RE USING? MAYBE WE COULD JUST SLATHER OURSELVES IN MUD AND SNEAK IN THE FRONT. THEY MIGHT JUST BE SCANNING FOR ORGANIC LIFE INSIDE."
01-09-2018, 03:27 PM
"Fair enough, didn't know if we were sitting on some weird secret alien war or mad scientist tech recently. Technology's gotten pretty insane in the last year." Casey defended. "What about magic, seems unlikely they've got much of a way of counteracting that, though wizard robots would be a terrifying shock. Any way to teleport in, or phase through the ground? Would invisibility work versus robots? Like, is invisibility a thing at all and could it fool robots or robotic sensors? Should we be thinking about whether supernatural forces would help save the world? Fairies or something?" He asked, looking over at Raven.

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
01-09-2018, 03:27 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2018 03:28 PM by Whimbrel.)
"...I do have something better than mud, in terms of the visible light spectrum." Lux points out.

And she very showily extends a tendril and wraps Casey's arm in a shroud of invisibility.
01-09-2018, 03:30 PM
"BUT DOES IT BLOCK HEAT?"
01-09-2018, 03:31 PM
"Emily, care to test the invisibility?"

01-09-2018, 03:31 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2018 03:32 PM by MQuinny1234.)
Casey...slowly moved his arm, then poked it with his other arm. "That is pretty cool. But would it work against things like infrared and stuff too? Yeah, how much of the EMR spectrum does this work on?" He asked, still moving his arm about and squinting hard in inspection. It was pretty neat.

01-09-2018, 03:39 PM
"Vis-ih-ble. Li-ght." Lux said, slowly. Like these guys were a bunch of dummies.
01-09-2018, 03:39 PM
"YEAH, SO MUD FOR THE INFRARED. PREFERABLY, COLD AS POSSIBLE. AND IF WE CAN KEEP IT COLD, ALL THE BETTER..."
01-09-2018, 03:41 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2018 03:41 PM by MQuinny1234.)
Casey facepalmed with his invisible palm. "Right. Sorry, my excitement and hope overtook my ears."

01-09-2018, 03:42 PM
"The child's powers will be of use, certainly, but the infrared will pose trouble... Perhaps we could simply hope that once we're confronted with that, we can rush the rest of the way to our target?"
01-09-2018, 03:42 PM
"I can see her when invisible. Though I have thermal scanners installed."
01-09-2018, 03:43 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2018 03:43 PM by Kocel.)
"ANYONE HAVE SOME MUD? BET SHE CAN'T SEE M-"

Vigil stops.

"WAIT... WHAT'S FISHGIRL'S BODY HEAT TEMPERATURE? I IMAGINE IT'S LOWER TO SURVIVE IN COLD WATERS."
01-09-2018, 03:44 PM
"Aren't there like, thermal camo cloaks? Or insulating blankets? Or something?" Lux asked the president. "KNIGHT had some."
01-09-2018, 03:44 PM
"I'll have to check if we have any," the President said. "We probably do somewhere. Getting them is another matter."
01-09-2018, 04:12 PM
"SO MY PLAN IS TO STEAL- GET A PLASTIC COOLER, PUT A LOT OF CLAY AND ICE IN THERE, HAUL IT AROUND WITH ME, AND IF I RUN OUT OF THAT, JUST STICK CLOSE TO THERMAL VENTS AND HOT PIPES SO THAT THEY MIGHT NOT PICK OUT MY HEAT SIGNATURE ABOVE IT."
01-09-2018, 04:15 PM
“... If it becomes useful, pretty sure I can lose my heat signature, but I’ll still be... visible. It’s situational. Also,”

Maria nudged the complete statue with her foot, as she continued sculpting another. “As long as you know where something is and have someone there... If one of these puppies is set up, anywhere, I can go there. And so whatever I can carry, I can transport between these things, so long as whatever I’m transporting isn’t alive. If you need things, or information, or just me around somewhere instantaneously, and you can get someone to set something that looks like this up, that’s in the cards. Could be helpful for coordinating and hauling supplies where they’re needed.”
01-09-2018, 04:25 PM
"CAN WE JUST PUT ONE OF THOSE IN A KILL BOX, OR.... THE OCEAN, AND HAVE YOU TRANSPORT ROBOTS YOU GRAB THERE? PRETTY SURE THEY'RE NOT ALIVE."

Vigil glanced at Robo-Emily.

"UH, ORGANICALLY ALIVE, THAT IS."
01-09-2018, 04:29 PM
“Robots I could probably take, depending on their size. The problem is the AI. I’m not sure the soul status of this one. No way of knowing until I try. But then, such a thing would have to be set up to where I wouldn’t die upon entering. Might be more trouble than it’s worth investigating.”
01-09-2018, 04:31 PM
"...Do robots have souls? What happens when you power them off?"
01-09-2018, 04:33 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2018 05:19 PM by Corn.)
“I have theories about some AI. But I don’t know enough about this one to even hazard a guess.”

Maria shrugged.

“Finding out for sure is a dangerous game that I’m only willing to play with the enemy. But again. Probably less useful than the time spent figuring that out. I can’t imagine suplexing individual robots into the ocean is the best way to use the time we’ve got, anyway.”
01-09-2018, 08:53 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2018 09:01 PM by Protoman.)
"If they do indeed have souls, they must surely be different from our own. No offense intended toward present company," she nods respectfully toward Emily, "but the souls of men are crafted by Lord God, the Father Almighty, Creator of Heaven and Earth, while the souls of any AI would have to be influenced by the imperfect hands of their imperfect creators. I would hazard to guess they will be different from anything we are familiar with."

"That said, much as I love subterfuge, if these machines have near perfect surveillance, might it be wiser to act more... rash, I suppose. Again, a contingent of us partaking in an all-out assault might draw enough eyes to allow the more espionage-inclined to sneak past these many, many sensors. Unless their passive sensors are entirely independent of those they might use for combat... I suppose without knowing the capabilities of these machines, these plans remain a shot in the dark." She frowns a sour frown.
01-10-2018, 01:50 AM
"That's dumb." Lux opined. "By which I mean everything you just said. Go on a different team from me, Ok? Thanks."
01-10-2018, 02:40 AM
Yasmine raised a hand nervously. “Uh, sorry to interrupt, but do we know any more about the actual locations? Cause this is probably gonna sound biased, but if we could flood them that’d be awesome. Robots hate that. Or my old cell phone hated it anyways.” She sighed. “Looked like a lot of desert though...”
01-10-2018, 02:56 AM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2018 02:59 AM by Cidellus.)
“You’re right indeed. Don’t think there is a practical way to flood any of those locations,” the President said. “The plan right now is to send you guys in two teams. One will handle the Permian Basin’s while the other handles Death Valley’s. Great Basin and the one in the Rockies will need to be handled by the armed forces.”

Bald Eagle whispered something in the President’s ear.

“Ah, you’ll be attacking the Rockies and Death Valley. Sorry. Hardest spots for our ground forces to get to right now.”
01-10-2018, 03:07 AM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2018 03:14 AM by Corn.)
Maria rolled her fucking eyes at the first half of what Isodora said. But arguing wasn’t going to be useful. Whatever.

However.

“... I might know a way. To flood them. Maybe. Maybe. How helpful would that be to you, exactly?”
01-10-2018, 03:21 AM
Lux put her hand up. "Dibs on the rockies." She nudged her sister.
01-10-2018, 03:27 AM
"I'm alright with Death Valley. Assuming that's not flooded." He wanted that to be very clear.

01-10-2018, 03:46 AM
"I'M USED TO MOUNTAINOUS TERRAIN, SO ROCKIES AS WELL, I GUESS."

Vigil shrugs.

"THOUGH THE BASE IS UNDERGROUND, SO I GUESS IT DOESN'T REALLY MATTER."
01-10-2018, 06:55 AM
Valence nods, crossing her arms over her chest. "I'm ready. Though I think I'll have to rely on you all to fuel me. Not sure these AI guys feel? Is that confirmed or not?"
01-10-2018, 07:19 AM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2018 07:24 AM by Protoman.)
Isidora raises an eyebrow at Lux. "What about it is dumb? The creations of the imperfect are necessarily distinct from the creations of the perfect. This isn't a statement on the quality of the soul of an AI, simply the nature of it. I'm struggling to see what about that might be controversial, considering we're accepting souls as a matter of course to begin with."
01-10-2018, 07:25 AM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2018 07:47 AM by Whimbrel.)
Valence felt a spike of fear and anxiety from Lux when she said she was planning to feed on them, but she didn't speak up about that yet.

Because she was going to fight Isidora.

"First off, I think it's dumb that you're calling a nonsentient lump of leftover energy 'a perfect creator.' Second off, I'm skeptical that anyone in this room besides me could say with 100% certainty where their soul came 'from', exactly. Though yeah, 'a big lump of energy' is probably eventually right, ignoring whatever mechanisms called it forth from that. Like, I dunno, your Mom? Just throwing that out there."
01-10-2018, 07:56 AM
Max went over to Emily.

"How do you feel about it," he murmured into her audio sensors.

01-10-2018, 07:59 AM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2018 08:02 AM by Protoman.)
Isidora blinked. Though her face remained straight, Valence could feel something strong emanating from her. An intense, powerful, violently strong feeling of...

Amusement?

She shook her head. "I don't believe now is the time for a theological debate. If you are offended by my use of denominational terminology, know I had no intention of excluding my brothers and sisters in faith. You can replace 'the Father' with whatever name you choose - Allah, Zurvan, Ahura Mazda, Brahman, nature, a 'nonsentient blob of energy', whatever you like. The point remains that there is likely some division between the soul of a natural creature and an artificial one. Not that it seems to be such an important matter at the moment."

"Also, it should be noted that I have no mother."

She turns back to the president. "I will go where I am needed. My skills are not unique, but they are reliable."
01-10-2018, 08:05 AM
Lux ROLLED HER DANG EYES. A halo appeared on her head and a big neon sign flashed above Isidora's. It had an arrow pointing to the battle nun, and read "DEATH VALLEY". It flashed three times before disappearing.
01-10-2018, 08:06 AM
Isidora keeps her gaze on the president, her expression steely calm in spite of the mockery.
01-10-2018, 08:15 AM
Maria rolled her eyes at BOTH of them.
01-10-2018, 08:18 AM
Emily rests her head firmly in one of her hands.
01-10-2018, 08:22 AM
Why was there suddenly religion talk going on? Eva pressed her lips together, furrowing her brow, and glanced briefly at the floor. She looked up when the flashing light caught her eye, and narrowed her eyes at the halo. Right...

"I think I might be overlooking something, or maybe we're just getting ahead of ourselves, but... are we actually choosing where to go? Or have you already picked out where you want us?"
01-10-2018, 08:30 AM
Maria pointed to Eva, seconding the question. “This doesn’t seem like a “dibs” situation.”
01-10-2018, 08:45 AM
The anxiety isn't so great, but the amusement is delicious! Valence watches the banter with a neutral expression, saying nothing.

It's just yummy, is all.
01-10-2018, 02:09 PM
"The teams have already been chosen," the President explained. "Hartmann, Valence, Coyote, Vigil, Kane, Nine, Cruz, Volts, Emily (the AI one), Lux, Siren, Eva, the Dragonfly, the Raven, and Vigil's strange kid sidekick will be going to the Rockies. Lone Star, Nick Urias, the Demon, that lady in blue armor, Solar Flare, Cobra King, Bald Eagle, Watchwoman, Don Diamante, and the Rookie will be going to Death Valley. We think the one in the Rockies will be more heavily fortified, hence the heavier team."
01-10-2018, 02:17 PM
"And which team are you going with?" Lux asked the president. Only joking so far as she wanted to know if that was happening again. Because President Bald Eagle was excellent.
01-10-2018, 02:18 PM
"OH GREAT MY DECISION REALLY MATTERED."

Vigil crossed his arms.

"AT LEAST WE'RE NOT STUCK WITH COBRA KING."

A beat, he looks to the Cobra King.

"... OKAY, SORRY, THAT WAS MEAN. I RESPECT A GOOD GIMMICK, BUT... LISTEN, PAL, DO YOU HAVE ANY MECHANICAL EXPLOSIVE SNAKES? I COULD PROBABLY MAKE YOU SOME REAL QUICK AS LONG AS YOU DON'T USE THEM FOR CRIME."

And by mechanical explosive snakes, Vigil intended to make some metal toy snake figures and stuff them with C-4.

"OTHERWISE YOU'RE JUST GONNA GET MURDERED BY ROBOTS. AND EVEN FACTORING IN THAT YOU THROW SNAKES AT PEOPLE, I KIND OF FEEL BAD."