Masks: Tales of Heroism and Villainy
01-23-2017, 06:27 AM
RE: Masks: Tales of Heroism and Villainy
Maria grinned politely at Sharie, nodding. "Well good to have you, Sharie." She took her hand back. Awkwardly. When it went un-shook.

She then gestured to Casey, who had quite the point. "I agree, that kind of thing is about half of what goes into my successes, personally. Even KNIGHT doesn't have a lot on my side of things. And already we've got a couple of people making pretty significant use of what would likely be considered primative weaponry," She said, tapping the bow on her back and nodding to freaking Vigil (she wasn't going to get over that), "A member of the same... Species?"

She squinted at Elena in an unsure manner, "Fighting against them. And some sneaky folk who can get in past defenses. And someone who, if you hurt them, gets even stronger. And there's probably going to be some water and fire getting thrown around on my part after some preparations, and an inventor I guess? So weird gadgets I'm assuming? And that's just what everybody knows right now, since not everyone's shared their respective deals. It's like some Fairness Federation crap, just made up of a significantly higher percentage of people who aren't quite hot shit in the same manner, if you'll pardon my French."

((FOR THE KNOCKOFF CODEX: Fairness Federation = The Justice League equivalent in comics))
01-23-2017, 06:43 AM
Akiras ears perk up at the talk about sneaking. "Stealth's for nerds. I can't do anything with that. Just let me know when the subtle shit's over so I can punch things, aight?"

As she glances up from her phone, she catches sight of the rock man. "Woah. You look..." A pause. "...fuckin' incredible man!! Holy shit, we gotta fight sometime. Are you as stupid-tough as you look??? Because holy shit, I'd love to get my ass handed to me by someone who's actually tough. Been dealing with limp-dicks who gotta resort to guns. You ever had your brains blown out? It's not pleasant."
01-23-2017, 06:44 AM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2017 06:44 AM by SupahKiven.)
It was only once she was at the table that Sharie realized Maria's formerly extended and now retracted hand was not, in fact, part of her gesturing at somebody at the table, but rather an extended hand for a handshake. Fuck. She shuffled a bit in place, reassuring herself through the fact that it was probably for the best. Didn't want to risk her glove busting and scattering pollen all over her new associates. Now that would be a shit first impression.

"What..." Sharie tried to cut in, glancing back at the door. Was it too late to bail? "What are we talking about?"
01-23-2017, 06:49 AM
Maria blinked. "Akira... Do you... Would it be helpful if you got like, stabbed a few times before running into that? I mean stealth is for people who like living but, after that, I could totally stab- oh that sounds terrible- just, offering, I guess?"

She turned to POOR POOR SHARIE. "Uhh... Well, I mean, you know why you're here Sharie, right? I hope? We're just, going over... A lot. This is a mess. But what we all can do here, the skills that justify us being brought here, is a start."
01-23-2017, 06:52 AM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2017 06:53 AM by Bigshot.)
Yeah, Valence explaining her powers seems a little unlikely. It's best to show it in action later. Energy beams, shields, and feelings sounds pretty damn lame.

"The Fairness Federation took on stuff like this all the time. They just assigned roles and...were...much better at improvising than us because they knew how their teammates worked." As soon as Layla finishes her sentence she exhales, shoulders slumping. "We might struggle with this quite a bit. We-- also maybe shouldn't stab each other? Er--" Fuck if she knows. This is way outta her depth.
01-23-2017, 06:56 AM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2017 06:59 AM by Corn.)
"Oh my god, I'm not just, offering to stab people for fun. She gets tougher when she gets hurt. That is why. Holy shit, even I have a little more faith in KNIGHT's decision making than that." Maria huffed, OFFENDED. SHE WASN'T A SERIAL KILLER. SHE DIDN'T JUST STAB FOR FUN, NOT ANYMORE, NO MA'AM. "And perhaps you'd care to explain, since you acknowledge knowing how your team mates work gives an advantage."
01-23-2017, 06:59 AM
Of course. They were talking about powers. Sharie groaned internally, hand drifting down to her pants pocket. She relaxed a little bit at the feeling of her matchbook. That was good, it had kind of drifted from her mind. She was glad it was there.

"I..." God, her powers sounded kind of lame when she thought about them. How the hell were you supposed to tell everybody that you're a plant? Sharie had no clue. "I uh... I'm a plant, I guess." Just like that, she supposed. "I can grow roots and I've got pollen and... acidic honey." She shrugged. Better than nothing, but it was still pretty bad.
01-23-2017, 07:02 AM
Vigil is resting his forehead in his palm at the mention of stabbing a team mate for strategic advantage.
01-23-2017, 07:07 AM
Max sits back down and watches the other people. He is still trying to figure out how this group of people, exceptional as they may be, will be able to repel an alien invasion. So far, he sees people who can hit them while they're on the ground.

"Hopefully KNIGHT will find a way to deal with orbital and airstrikes...", he mutters to himself. "Either that, or we've got a shield that needs to be built."

The one, the only, Vancho!
01-23-2017, 07:09 AM
"DUDE STAB ME."

Akira sounded way too excited for this.
01-23-2017, 07:14 AM
"This is getting more interesting by the minute." The Raven muttered.

01-23-2017, 07:16 AM
Sheesh, way to be defensive, Maria. That's SUSPICIOUS. Layla's brows knit as she squints, her eyes quickly darting to Akira. Though, her avoiding her own exposition is probably suspicious, too. Whatever.
"Shouldn't we save the stabbing for when we're actually on the field? Wouldn't stabbing you now be a-- a waste?" She's not sure of the nuances of Akira's powers. Shit, this is all almost too much for Layla to keep track of.
01-23-2017, 07:18 AM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2017 07:19 AM by Protoman.)
"Naw there's not any kinda cap on it or anything. I just regenerate whenever I'm hurt. Trust me, if there was a cap I woulda hit it right now. I've had my brain blown out, lost most of the blood in my body, and had enough bullets in me to make a full-sized Akira statue. Shit would be a work of art on-par with some Renaissance bullshit. Michaelangelo's 'Badass Bitch'. As long as you don't like, cut my head off, I should be aight."
01-23-2017, 07:19 AM
Too much was happening. Maria was not used to dealing with so many people at a time, on something like this. Uhh.

"Alright, cool, plant person stuff, this is some good variety." She then looked to Max. "Depending on how big they are, I... I might be able to help with that? Not all of them at all times, I mean, obviously, but I've taken some gnarly things out of the air before, I don't know, maybe? My deal is just that, I'm going to need to umm." How did one put 'I have murder powers' politely? "Well, maybe let me deal with the bugs that come out of the host bodies. I'll need some of those, to really get rolling."

Akira made her PRETTY uncomfortable. Kinda reminded her of the kinksters she ate. Didn't like the attitude. "Uhh, yeah, I'm not, I'm not going to, right now. Umm." She could respect that Valence too, was a squinter. It was a gesture that she understood. This required a good squint. "Yeah, I was just, offering, for when we're out there..."
01-23-2017, 07:28 AM
Yeah, Akira's response is...really intense. Intense enough to make Layla recoil, the surprise apparent on her face. Regenerative abilities that powerful sound...ridiculous. Way cooler than her own powers.

Akira is now being DOUBLE squinted at.
"Let's...reserve stabbing or harming you for later. If it really does power you up, that'll be useful, and I'll do my part to help you, if I must. Not-- not now, though." Not when it wasn't necessary. "Unless we want to do ability demonstrations but. Let's wait on that."
01-23-2017, 07:48 AM
Sharie shot Akira a disturbed look. Well, she was now officially uncomfortable. What the hell was going on here?
01-23-2017, 08:27 AM
"Yo plant girl! You said you got acid-sap, right? How strong's that shit? Like, 'it'll take the enamel off your teeth over an extended period of time' acid, or 'i drip some on a lock and baddaboom baddabing baddabang we're in' acid?"
01-23-2017, 08:31 AM
"Her name is Sharie."
01-23-2017, 08:32 AM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2017 08:33 AM by SupahKiven.)
"Huh?" Sharie suddenly found herself addressed by the very person who had weirded her out. Oh gosh.

"I... I don't know." She admitted. "I've only ever tried it on training dummies. It uh... burns if it hits your skin, though." She awkwardly shrugged. "And it's... more like uh... honey. In consistency."
01-23-2017, 08:38 AM
"That's pretty rad! I bet there's a lot of situations where that'd be really useful."

In truth, plant-girl's powers seemed pretty lame, but she also seemed nervous. Akira wanted to help her relax! This was an exciting situation, they were about to do some SUPER BADASS SHIT. She was here, so she must be pretty damn cool, even if she didn't know it!

Plus she reminded her of Umeko a bit. She hoped her sis was doin' alright. Probably still asleep. She tried not to think too hard on it before continuing.

"I wonder what you could do with roots, though... Maybe attach yourself to moving vehicles during high-speed chases? That might be pretty rad."
01-23-2017, 08:38 AM
"DOES IT BURN THROUGH METAL? MIGHT BE USEFUL TO COAT SOME BROADHEADS IN."
01-23-2017, 08:44 AM
Elena sighed loudly. She was out of coffee again, and she really didn't do well around this many people at once. Especially when all of them were talking, mostly about Akira really wanting someone to stab her.

"So... what, are we showing off our superpowers and shit now? In the most weird and awkward way we can manage? Uh, not to alarm you guys, but the bugs definitely all have, uh, 'superpowers' of their own, too."
01-23-2017, 08:46 AM
"The roots are more... nutrient gathering." Sharie said, glancing down at her gloved hands. "I can change size and talk to plants too, but I have to be... in dirt. To do that." Wow, that sounded a lot worse than she thought.

"I've never tried." She told Vigil, shrugging again. Sharie looked to the side, and the over at the door. "I mean... we could see, I guess. If you had something to try with." Elena's comment made her clench her jaw, and she returned her gaze to the table. "Right..."
01-23-2017, 08:58 AM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2017 09:01 AM by Corn.)
"Maybe you could explain, then." Maria said, looking to Dragonfly. "I can if you wouldn't like to, but I'm sure you might know a fair thing or two more about it. Don't think showing off is necessary, but I don't see the harm in people explaining themselves so we know what to expect."

She leaned back in the chair, and nodded to Sharie. "Kinda sick. Doesn't go through plant material for sure I imagine, since that would harm you? If you think so," Maria pulled out one of her arrows, and stuck it on the (WHAT CORN ASSUMED WAS WOODEN) table. "We can find out. Tip's steel."
01-23-2017, 09:04 AM
"Well, uh, I mean." Elena hadn't meant to be rude about the explaining thing! Oh god, everyone was just gonna hate her now-

Shut up, Elena. Explain your shit.

"...Uh, so. I'll be honest, I've only met, like, three others, but. Every single one seems to have... their own sort of power thing? Like, I can change size, Dr. Mantwist - I mean, uh... The mantis guy. Had sharp scythe-hand things. That sort of thing. I think all of 'em are super strong, a lot of 'em can fly, and they all have fast regeneration. And, uh, also,"

Elena paused. Dammit, was she really about to reveal her weakness to a bunch of chumps she'd never met before? If that got out-

WELL OF FUCKING COURSE IT'S GOING TO GET OUT. IT'S AN ALIEN INVASION. JUST TELL THEM.

"...Also, they're all majorly weak to electricity."
01-23-2017, 09:05 AM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2017 09:06 AM by Protoman.)
"Dammit, where's the Tazer Totaliwhateverisnameis when you need him?"
01-23-2017, 09:07 AM
Maria nodded. "I came into contact with one who shot fireballs, lots of variety to watch out for."
01-23-2017, 09:19 AM
"Weak to electricity?" The Raven asked with interest. "Don't worry about that, we have that covered."

01-23-2017, 09:19 AM
"Jeez..." Sharie pursed her lips behind her mask. Nigh-Invincible bugs that got killed by electricity? Maybe she was just dreaming about this whole thing...

"Okay." Sharie stared at the arrow embedded into the table, narrowing her eyes at it for a moment. She let out a sigh through her nose and raised a hand to her face. She pinched the mask between her index finger and thumb, pulling it up over her mouth. The sweet smell around her got a little stronger, and the side of Sharie's mouth pulled back a bit before she spat a glob of honey at the arrowhead embedded in the table.
01-23-2017, 09:21 AM
"I think I'll go ahead and worry about that, because I'm also one of them, bird guy."

Elena's eyes sort of shot over to Sharie as she hocked an acidic loogie at the table. Gross.
01-23-2017, 09:24 AM
"What about fire? Do they burn?" The Raven asked.

01-23-2017, 09:26 AM
"Not usually." Maria answered, despite not being asked, recalling a rather upsetting memory.
01-23-2017, 09:27 AM
"A pity. What about poison, do we need to worry about that?"

01-23-2017, 09:56 AM
The honey encased the arrowhead and began to dissolve the steel. It was actually pretty quick, amazingly enough.
01-23-2017, 09:57 AM
"ELECTRICITY? DO TASERS AND THE LIKE WORK?"

Vigil produced an arrow that appeared to be tipped with an electronic device, sporting a pair of long metal barbs.

"BECAUSE I'VE GOT AN ARROW FOR THAT."

He looks to the melting arrow.

"... GLAD I DIDN'T TRY THAT WITH ONE OF MINE. ALSO, HOPEFULLY KNIGHT DOESN'T LIKE THAT TABLE."
01-23-2017, 10:02 AM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2017 10:06 AM by Corn.)
"Damn. Yeah, figured my arrows are a little less, uhh, useful. Sometimes you have to get the shock past the exoskeleton, so tasers I'm not sure about, but... Damn." Maria watched, amazed, as her arrowhead got EATEN, and looked at their SHY GIANT FRIEND. "That's awesome. How far can you hock one of those?"

It's also worth noting she didn't intend on embedding an arrow in the table. She supposed she was just TOO STRONG. Whoops.
01-23-2017, 10:15 AM
"Mmm..." Sharie hummed, putting her mask back down over her mouth, her eyes locked on the dissolving arrowhead. To be honest, she was rather surprised with herself on that one. Perhaps all of that training did her well.

"Hmm?" She looked over at Maria, glancing back at the arrow. "Decently far." Sharie stopped to think for a moment. "I have a standard KNIGHT shooting range, and I've been able to hit things on the other end of that."
01-23-2017, 10:27 AM
Max sits and thinks for a while. Electricity, huh?

"Hmm, maybe I can build an electric field generator? Or maybe like a tesla coil that shoots lightning bolts at will to any target."

01-23-2017, 10:33 AM
"How fast could you whip up a few tesla guns?" The Raven asked Max.

01-23-2017, 10:54 AM
"YO CAN I GET SOME ELECTRO-FISTS???? CAUSE THAT WOULD BE SICK."
01-23-2017, 10:54 AM
"KNIGHT's already got lightning cannons," Elena said. "They threatened me with one once."
01-23-2017, 10:55 AM
"They have electric brass knuckles too." Maria added, for Akira.
01-23-2017, 10:55 AM
"Hmm, it depends on how complex you want it. But I'd say, maybe a week if I'm working alone, for design and testing. If I have help and access to better labs, I could probably work faster."

01-23-2017, 10:59 AM
"I wonder what other kinds of electric weaponry KNIGHT has..." Sharie mused.
01-23-2017, 11:03 AM
"I was offered a sword, knives, arrows, the brass knuckles, grenades, mines, spears...." Maria squinted, thinking. "I think he said darts? And batons? All of the electric persuasion. Stun guns and tasers I don't need to mention, I think. They've got a lot for this sort of thing."
01-23-2017, 11:17 AM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2017 11:18 AM by MQuinny1234.)
Phew, they'd gotten distracted by the new girl and this talk of electricity. So, he let them discuss that and moved to a chair, carefully sitting down, and then deciding to just stand against a wall.

Was it actually going to be an invasion by bugs though? Lucky shot there...

Also, the acid thing that lady had? Bitchin'.

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
01-23-2017, 11:19 AM
"... THEY OFFERED ME JACK, WHAT THE HELL."

Vigil sounded a bit offended.
01-23-2017, 11:24 AM
"Well, I mean, back when I fought them. If this works anything like my last encounter with KNIGHT, we may end up being outfitted appropriately after the briefing." Maria shrugged. "I hope so. Because uhh. I'm not very durable, and my armor's in the shop right now."
01-23-2017, 11:27 AM
"WAIT, FOUGHT 'THEM'? THE ALIENS? YOU DIDN'T KICK THIS WAR OFF, DID YOU?"
01-23-2017, 11:30 AM
"The first Hive scout ships were discovered in my area, so they brought me to help them investigate." Maria explained. "They were not friendly. They went through the ship, and found that, and do know this is second hand so I may be missing something, a Hive is coming down because they believe the Confederation is going to violate the DMZ. Should I detail this? Is this news? I can draw a map..."