Masks: Tales of Heroism and Villainy
02-03-2018, 02:20 PM
RE: Masks: Tales of Heroism and Villainy
Isidora prays.
02-03-2018, 05:21 PM
Emily immediately heads to the food table or whatever to refuel on energy! Well, mostly she's just gonna drink a shitload of coffee.

A SHITLOAD.

Three bathroom breaks later, Emily returns to wherever most people are. "Okay. Who needs limbs?"
02-03-2018, 05:22 PM
"I cannot throw ssssssnakesssss without limbssss!" Cobra King yelled.
02-03-2018, 05:24 PM
Emily rolls her eyes and sets about growing Cobra King's arms back.
02-03-2018, 05:37 PM
Max went over to the workshop and started making sure Emily wasn't damaged. He also would build himself a temporary prosthetic.

The one, the only, Vancho!
02-03-2018, 05:40 PM
Emily was not damaged! Going into the workshop, Max spotted a number of robots seemingly captured quite recently. These included spiderbots, troopers, a few goliaths, and one whole tankbot. They were completely deactivated.

Cobra King's arms grew back over the course of several minutes, and he seemed quite happy by the end.

"Thank you!" he shouted, hugging Emily briefly before running off brandishing snakes.
02-03-2018, 05:41 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2018 05:45 PM by Anomaly.)
"Maybe be nice to your snakes???" Emily almost immediately regretted her decision to heal him. "Uhhh... right! Anyone else?"

Emily ponders, then walks over to the nearest intercom.

"Hey, everyone. Dr. Hartmann here. If you're missing a body part and you'd like to not be missing it, come find me in the rec room."
02-03-2018, 05:44 PM
Max saw the robots and looked at Emily.

"Perfect, you can take control of these."

He went over to Dr. Emily.

"Say, you can regrow my arm? It's been gone for a while."

02-03-2018, 05:55 PM
Emily has a look at Max!

"Uh... yeah, should be able to? I think it'll take some, uh, mild surgery first. Follow me."

Emily heads to the MEDICAL BAY and proceeds to GIVE MAX'S ARM BACK.
02-04-2018, 12:11 AM
Simon went and got something to eat and drink, and then headed to the medical bay and watched Emily work her magic because holy shit that's impressive.

"So how far do your powers go doctor?"
02-04-2018, 12:24 PM
Okay, Casey felt like he had a handle on the game now. He stood up, now in human form and idly shuffling the cards, and looked around the room. "Yo, anyone wanna play some cards or something? I stole the fake money from Capitalism so we can play some hold-em or something?" He said loudly, internally really hoping he didn't get blanked hard after reaching out here.

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
02-04-2018, 12:28 PM
Maria looked up from her slump.

“...”

She slid out of her chair and stood, and took a seat across the table from Casey.

“... You got shot before you could answer, earlier.” She said, quietly. Not harsh, just sort of... matter-of-fact. And expectant.
02-04-2018, 12:41 PM
Casey paused. Um... He sat down and slowly shuffled, as if he was thinking things over.

Casey couldn't fucking remember the question Coyote had asked earlier. Um, um... she sounded mad. Not like, mad mad, but like, mom mad when they're not showing any signs that they're mad and are gonna say they're disappointed in you. Maybe it was the Tyler thing? When had they last talked?... Oh right, right before he got shot in the leg.

"Ah... I..." He dealt out the cards slowly, a hand to her and himself. Fuck, explaining this was crappy. Cause he was crappy. "I was rash, and spiteful, and stupid, and angry, and because of that an eight-year old child died, because of a petty act I took. I had no idea he or his family was in the house." He finally explained, deliberating over each section of the sentences as he stared at his hand instead of Maria.

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
02-04-2018, 12:44 PM
Emily was pretty busy being a doctor, but she found some time to talk after a while.

"How... far? I'm not sure yet. I've only had these, uh, powers for a few weeks? I can regenerate body parts, uh, extract foreign material like bullets... Repair internal organs? Probably regenerate those too. I don't know if it works on diseases or anything, I've never tried."
02-04-2018, 01:03 PM
”I’m not mad, I’m just disappointed.”

Maria was quiet for a bit. Too watching Casey’s hands, shuffling being a fair spot to zone on. Hmm.

Hmm.

Many tense moments of silent contemplation passed, and then she removed her gloves, and folded her hands on the table, waiting for cards to be dealt. “... Alright. Just needed to hear it from someone more trustworthy than a STORM-influenced media.” She seemed kind of sad to hear it. But she didn’t pry any further, and she didn’t shoot him with salt or anything.

If there was anything good about the Robot War for Casey, it was that his bullshit as far less deserving of people’s energy because of it. Least the guy wasn’t crazy evil. Didn’t seem like he went around killing kids ALL the time now. And it didn’t seem like he was lying. Ugh.

“... I’m shit at most games that aren’t Capitalism. Feel that should be said before I get destroyed.”
02-04-2018, 01:26 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2018 01:26 PM by MQuinny1234.)
"Okay. That's fine, it's just a game. I haven't played in a while anyway either. Used to play with my brothers and dad." He said, slightly relieved that he wasn't getting punched in the face or anything. That silence had really gotten to him there, like, worried she was gonna make the water in his eyes explode or something. "We can play Capitalism instead, just... Cards go quicker and it's easier to deal people in or out."

As they played a bit, small bits and stuff, casey asked quietly. "So, speaking of STORM-influenced media, some um, stuff about you came out right? Thought you were dead." He didn't want to directly bring up the murders either, but he remembered some weirdness from last time with Coyote. "Also, you're more magic now?"

02-04-2018, 01:50 PM
Max flexed his new arm, testing it out.

"Thank you. I owe you two now."

He went back to the workshop to see how AI Emily was doing with those robots.

02-04-2018, 02:14 PM
“Capitalism I think would be a poor idea, because then we’d all hate each other.”

A vague smile cane to Maria’s features, and she played. God. God she didn’t get poker. She didn’t get why, either. She was good at the poker face thing, but like, what was this game, oh god. Still, a good distraction. “Uhh. Yeah. Was dead, sorta. The news vastly overestimates what I used to get up to, if that’s what you’re getting at. Don’t want to go into the life story bullshit right now. But, you gave up the business I was concerned about. So as much as you may be concerned, I’ve got two people under my belt that have no good reason behind them. Grown men, none of the kids were my doing.”

She sighed a bit, but felt... a little more at ease? Maybe? Conflicting feelings about Casey and his business, but for as long as they were, say, playing cards on a space ship headed toward fairly probable doom, she could appreciate this. A chat with a guy on her kinda shitty level. A mutual catch-up between old, regrettable coworkers.

“More magical is technically true? But it’s more... different. Can’t do the same stuff I used to. Think the tidal waves would have been more useful, but then, where would I have gotten the fuel for it?” She put down a few purple bills, and looked up at him, with a light smirk. “Looks like you’ve gotten into some crazy business too. Didn’t catch too much of it down below, but uhh, unless that’s was Diamante...?” She could be wrong. Maybe Diamante had SWEETER powers now.
02-04-2018, 07:59 PM
Doctor Emily healed Max's arm! After going back to the workshop, Max found AI Emily's cube just sitting on the workshop bench.

"They are physically powered down. You will need to reactivate them. It may be dangerous. Alternatively, you can physically place me inside a robotrooper and I can work on it myself. Once you modify it to take an AI core."
02-05-2018, 05:26 AM
"I'll do the second, seems less risky."

Max opened up one of the robotroopers to get a better idea of how these robots functioned internally. He disconnected any wireless communicator or computer core controlling it and made the connectors compatible with Emily's ports. When that was done, he would plug in Emily so they could work together on getting control of the rest of the bots.

02-05-2018, 06:05 AM
Casey frowned briefly at the mention of Diamante, before mentally brushing it off. "As for as I'm aware, he's still just made of diamond. KNIGHT did some experiments and I have some limited control/telekinesis over earth. Nothing I'd want to base a superhero career off but a helpful additional power for getting around places without interruption. It showed up when they pumped me full of chemical cocktails and buried me alive. Bastards." There clearly wasn't much malice in the insult though, despite what he'd gone through, they'd been reasonably nice people, and didn't deserve to get wasted by STORM.

Casey called Coyote's monies, and revealed the first three cards. "Hmm. Not needing magical... 'Fuel' must be a relief for you." Kinda fucked up, but he was in no place to judge peoples actions or motives, hero business seemed to collect fringe cases anyway. "Hope Ceridwen is okay though. Raven's cat thing followed us and took out the spider robot." He added, raising the pot with some more purples.

02-05-2018, 07:09 AM
Vigil set about exploring the entire ship, taking a nice break to drill Bevill about WHERE THE HELL KNIGHT HAS BEEN WHILE STORM'S BEEN KILLING KIDS

The shouting can probably be heard down the halls from wherever Vigil tracks the man down to.
02-05-2018, 07:42 AM
Lux and the Dragonfly returned back to the group!

Max did his work, and loaded Emily into the robotrooper body. She took control immediately, then glanced around.

"Good," she said, from her AI core's speakers muffled inside the machine. "...this thing does not have speakers. Great."

She started working with Max to take control of the other robots, with Emily taking it upon herself to wipe their components of any trace of the evil AI. It didn't take long.

With that done, though, she took a robotrooper aside, deactivated it, and began working on its body herself. She apparently aimed to modify it into a proper replacement for her lost body (meaning appropriate armor for the AI core, most of all).

At the same time, Vigil found Bevill walking towards the rec room and accosted him. Bevill quickly explained that he'd been imprisoned by STORM since the end of the alien war, when they dragged his unconscious form from his battered escape pod and threw him in the deepest, darkest hole they could. He was only rescued by Coyote and her friends a year or so later. Which was about a month or two ago. Afterwards, he promptly reunited as much of KNIGHT as he could and has been working to undermine STORM and whatever other threats he could handle since.

He then bid Vigil good day and entered the rec room.

"Important news! Our mutual hacker friend #Hero has managed to pinpoint which of the four bases the AI is actually operating from," he said. "An important discovery. The AI seems to be working from a growing factory-fortress city located within the Permian Basin. Simultaneously, they are using their other three factory-fortresses to produce obscene amounts of robotic soldiers for a rapid conquest of the Earth, which is already underway. I regret to say that much of the United States has already fallen, along with large portions of the rest of the world. The cost of life has been catastrophic."

He grimly looked at them all.

"Our only hope is to stop the AI here and now by throwing everything we have at them. The longer we wait, the stronger they get. That said, we're already en route to that location. Prepare yourselves however you can."
02-05-2018, 08:05 AM
Lux adjusted her armor, and made sure the Dragonfly's was on properly as well, fussing over her a bit. Then she looked around, sighed, and confronted Solar Flare. She used the Impressive Voice, but she wasn't yelling. Just speaking at a normal, even slightly quiet volume. "Ok. You. Amplified blasts and flight. Anything else?"
02-05-2018, 08:07 AM
He looked to Lux.

"I'm also pretty durable when the sun is out. And stronger. Usually prefer blasting things to punching things, though."
02-05-2018, 08:14 AM
"How durable? Bullets and missiles to the face durable? Or just a slight increase?"
02-05-2018, 08:17 AM
"I can handle bullets all right if it's a pretty bright day. Missiles I've never really tested..."
02-05-2018, 08:40 AM
She nodded. "Sunlight only? Any effect from this?" Lux manifested her wings, and changed their color, as she could easily do. She attempted to match the color of sunlight, which was a variant of white light. The warmth of it wasn't really something she could mimic, but she thought she did a passing job for the color.
02-05-2018, 08:46 AM
He shook his head.

"Nothing."
02-05-2018, 08:58 AM
The wings flickered back to their neutral, shimmering shroud form. "Fine. You should probably grab some heavier armor. Maybe a weapon that won't explode in a sunburst, if you can use any. Sword or something. Can't guarantee I'll have a sunbeam available the whole time, especially not if we get into melee, but I think ranged will be the best option most of the time in this fight. So stay in my light."
02-05-2018, 08:59 AM
"Yeah. Will do," he said.
02-05-2018, 09:01 AM
Lux turned and walked away!
02-05-2018, 09:07 AM
"In any case! If you need weapons or armor, we have a small armory onboard the ship. It isn't anything compared to the old KNIGHT armory, but it should supply the basics well enough," Bevill said.

At that, Solar Flare got up and went to the armory, coming back with a suit of medium black and blue KNIGHT combat armor, an assault rifle, and some basic combat gear (backpack, pouches, belts, etc). He went and sat back down.
02-05-2018, 10:39 AM
Simon replaced any parts of his armour that were damaged beyond use and rearmed. He then went and found the Rookie.

"Hey, so you can hit back anything sent your way? If so follow me, I have an idea."

He then goes and finds Max!

"Hey, Volts. I was wondering how you and Emily dealt with the evil AI's control over, well, everything. I couldn't bring my best stuff to bear because it was all compromised, and I would rather that not be a risk going forward.

Also, do you think you could help me overcharge these things?" He holds out his stun batons. "Last fight made me realize I don't want to be caught in close combat without any viable weapons."
02-05-2018, 03:40 PM
Max shrugged at the first question.

"You should ask her. She's been doing most of the hacking. Though I can take a look at the batons."

He takes the stun batons and puts some capacitors in them so they could be charged up to give a bigger shock.

02-05-2018, 06:38 PM
"HOW DID THEY OBTAIN THE RESOURCES TO BUILD THIS MANY- GAH. WHATEVER. I'M GOING TO SEE IF I CAN CRANK OUT MORE EMP ARROWS. AND THERMITE... AND... ANYTHING ELSE. SINCE ALL MY ARROWS. ARE BACK IN MY TRUNK. ON THE JET I TOOK HERE."

With no time to lose, Vigil gets creative. He might not be a super-genius a-la Max, but he could be pretty clever when he needed to be, and his engineering specialty had always been making due with whatever he could scavenge. He creates as much thermite-foam solution as he can, putting most of it into arrows and the rest of it into... Canisters? If he could make some? He was pretty sure he could loot some plastic spray bottles from the janitor's closet and rig up something else if needed. In fact, he was probably already looting most of the chemicals from there anyway.

He sets Devana about making the EMP devices, also employing the help of anybody crafty enough and open to lending a hand. While she's doing this, he also makes a side batch of just regular expanding concrete foam, and looks into (maybe?) making some sort of thermal-obscuring smoke? He'd actually swallow pride and ask for Volts' input on that, and if the mad scientist couldn't help, Vigil would just try his best to make a prototype, dump it if it didn't work, produce more if it did.
02-06-2018, 12:27 AM
Since Emily was around Simon would ask her as well.
02-06-2018, 03:47 AM
Yasmine had been sitting in whatever corner she could locate stuffing her face with sandwiches and snacks. When Bevill said the name of the true location of the AI though, she stopped eating and looked a little nauseous. Her fingers reached reflexively for a cell phone she definitely didn't have on her.

Eventually she got up and started wandering around. Doctor Emily regrowing Max's arm was a combination of fascinating and body-horror disgusting, and she clearly had no idea what Vigil was doing with those arrows or what Simon was talking about. She paused at the card game, but the idea of playing cards with real heroes was just... with her hair this bad? Never.

Finally she made it to Bevill himself. "Hi, um, sir. I'm Siren, I work with the Streak sometimes? You probably haven't heard of me, don't worry. I was just wondering. I'm from around where you say this AI is, and I left family and friends... How bad is it?"
02-06-2018, 06:25 AM
Casey put down his cards when Beville gave the debriefing, listening patiently. Catastrophic loss of life. Well, shame that. He couldn't but help but blame Max for a moment, then shoved that aside. "Well, I'm gonna get some armour and stuff on now, better to be prepared now than for arrival, since we're likely gonna get blown out of the sky somehow knowing our luck. World's really gone to shit in the last few years, don't see us bouncing back from this one as well as last time the world was ending." He commented grumpily, pulling himself up. "You wanna keep playing when we get back?" he asked Coyote, waiting for her responses.

02-06-2018, 07:21 AM
Max upgraded Simon's stun batons! Heck yeah!

Marcus successfully made some replacement thermite arrows, while Devana successfully made a bunch of EMP arrows! Good thing he taught her how to arrowgineer. The Blue Armored Lady had also made it out, fortunately, though she lacked the engineering expertise and merely sat around waiting for the next battle.

Simon asked Emily a question!

"I wirelessly hack into them on a case by case basis and use my superior processing power to brute force their systems away from the AI's control," Emily explained.

Bevill looked to Yasmine.

"Of course I've heard of you! It's my job to hear of things, afterall," Bevill said before hearing her question. "Rainwalk is...well, I'm afraid the entire region fell rather rapidly to the robots. They've occupied every town in the Permian Basin, and are beginning to make pushes out into the rest of Texas. I cannot accertain the individual status of your friends and family, unfortunately. KNIGHT's intelligence gathering apparatus isn't what it once was."
02-06-2018, 07:22 AM
Maria looked, like, really surprised when Casey revealed HOW he became an earth bender. Holy shit. Respect??? She was about to give her concerns about Raven, but Beville came in, and said as he did, and Maria never had reason to doubt the man. She felt sick.

You did this.

God. Later. Later! Later she could think about that, later she could count the bodies dropped by a trigger she pulled, later she could lock herself up for all of forever and let the world heal... But NOW you need to suck it up and WORK.

Her head swam. And Casey’s comments she agreed with, the place was still reeling from the One Day War. When these things had armies to take out the whole damn world, what the fuck was team Rockies gonna do about it? She could hardly imagine them getting out of this one, but even if they did-

When? When they got back... Awfully hopeful. But maybe everyone needed that. Maria blinked, and shook her head, as though pulling out of a daze. She got up, and then looked up at him, setting down her cards, and meager remains of her fake money. “... Yeah. When we get back. And then maybe I’ll kick everyone’s ass at Capitalism.”

She grinned a bit, strained, trying a bit too hard. And then she stepped back closer to her shrine, and disappeared. She had a couple things to check on. ((And Corn wasn’t sure if Cid wanted that to be done privately))
02-06-2018, 07:28 AM
Yasmine's face crumpled when Bevill said no one could be accounted for, then rearranged it into a slightly plasticky smile. At least she always had her pageant training to fall back on! "Thanks, sir. And... one more thing." She took a deep breath. "What do you think our chances are in an all-out assault? Honestly. Because if they're bad, I might have a backup plan." Man, this would be the worst game show ever. Behind door number one, drown all your friends and family and tons of other people! Behind door number two, the end of the world!

"I don't know if you guys know this already, but there's an artifact," she explained to Bevill. "In the ruins under Rainwalk. Well, I mean, there's a bunch of them-" she glanced sidelong at her spear "-but this particular one, the folks that used to live there say it could restore the whole Basin to how it used to be. A sea. I've never seen it, but I think they could help me get there, and I know my electronics don't like getting dropped in the bath so much and maybe- well, maybe a new sea would be better than a total robot apocalypse?"

"We could always go look. If you think assaulting the base is still the right move we could just send a few people to Rainwalk. The city's falle- in bad shape already so it'd be dangerous, but that lady with the statues said she could teleport with them, right? So if things went really south, well..."

"Backup plan."
02-06-2018, 07:28 AM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2018 07:36 AM by Cidellus.)
Maria went to her shrine and vanished from the ship.

Bevill looked to Yasmine, intrigued at this idea.

"We were aware that something strange might be lurking beneath Rainwalk, but we'd never had the opportunity to go looking. If you can indeed flood the Permian Basin, it would completely disorganize the AI's forces. It would also likely destroy a considerable number of them."

He scratched his head.

"The robots are incredibly well fortified. Any frontal assault we could do would be inherently risky, but previously I believed it to be the best shot we had. Still, it would kill hundreds of thousands of people...if not more depending on how reliable this technology is...though you did swim to DC, correct? How skilled are you at fighting underwater? The rest of the team would be useless if we flooded it, afterall."
02-06-2018, 07:48 AM
Yasmine flinched at the mention of hundreds of thousands of people. Heroing was turning out to be quite different than she'd imagined. "Pretty good. Better than I am on land, at any rate. I'm faster and stronger, and I can communicate with any sea creatures around - although I guess there might not be any even after terraforming." She glanced down at her new combat armor and the dirty white costume underneath. "I'm still just one person, though. I could get hurt before I could take out the AI, if it survived the flood."

"Could we try to get underwater gear for everyone else? Most of their powers would still work, right? Maybe Max Volts could come up with something - he's a genius, I heard about him on TV and online..." She chewed her lip. "I could try asking the others, too. My friends. It's their tech - they might have something else in the ruins that would help. They just need to know what's at stake."
02-06-2018, 08:04 AM
"I more meant, would there be any way to stop it from taking control in the first place?"
02-06-2018, 08:40 AM
Casey was busy trying on some armour items, to protect him from the incoming salt rounds the robots likely had ready for him. Salt sucked as a weakness, but hey, it least it was gonna be dry, dry land. He could just tunnel there without aaaannnyy problems. Just had to be afraid of salt wielding robots, no chance of drowning there. Anyway, heavy armour and two assault rifles should do, akimbo style. Anything that could shrug off the rifles he'd have to beat to death anyway.

02-06-2018, 11:42 AM
"Woah, wait, that's...we can't..." Lux started, jumping up, but even as she spoke she started trailing off, looking uncertain, and started gnawing at her fingers as she thought it through. How many people were dying now? How many would die if they flooded a huge section of Texas? Who even liked Texas? Fuck; "everyone's going to be pissed at us..." she eventually concluded, quietly.
02-06-2018, 11:42 AM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2018 11:43 AM by Cidellus.)
"We have some SCUBA gear here aboard the ship," Bevill told her. "We may be able to give people basic instruction in the usage of such things...then again. Coyote's father IS a water god...perhaps..."

Bevill looked around for Coyote.

"Where'd she run off to? Probably that realm of hers. Regardless, I don't believe the robot weaponry will be effective underwater. What you suggested, Siren, may be our best hope for winning this war."

He then looked to Lux.

"That will depend on the outcome, and how the US government wishes to handle things."

They could always pin the flooding of Texas on STORM, afterall...

"...no way except for letting me into your system. I can defend it," Emily said.
02-06-2018, 11:48 AM
"You can't seriously be suggesting we solve this by killing everyone in West Texas, right? We're not doing that, right? Yeah?"

Emily wondered if maybe she got on the wrong alien spaceship? She thought the heroes were supposed to be on this one.
02-06-2018, 11:50 AM
Bevill looked to Emily.

"Flooding West Texas may be the only way to save the world from conquest at the hands of an AI," Bevill said. "If we lose, I would hazard a guess that humanity as a free and independent people are done for. You saw what you had to fight at DC, correct? We'll be fighting ten times that number of robots, easily. Without military support."