Masks: Tales of Heroism and Villainy
02-06-2018, 12:13 PM
RE: Masks: Tales of Heroism and Villainy
Simon overhears the plan.

"... How much time could we feasibly have to strike? To prepare for our attack before it's too late?"
02-06-2018, 12:29 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2018 12:30 PM by Protoman.)
Isidora shakes her head. "No. This is unacceptable. A sacrifice of the few cannot be made to save the many. If it takes an atrocity to save mankind, then mankind cannot be saved."
02-06-2018, 12:42 PM
Casey showed up in the rec room, stomping back to his seat in heavy armour with an assault rifle and a shockhammer. He hadn't been able to figure out how to easily strap on two assault rifles. He looked at his seat, then just knelt down in front of it, and picked up his cards again. "So, what's the plan then? Heroic charge in? Crash the ship into the base and whoever's left standing books it to the AI? Call in some alien favours to help nip a rampant AI in the bud? Some magic shit? What's up?" He asked, looking about the room.

People looked upset.

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
02-06-2018, 12:42 PM
"It's not a matter of how much time we have. We should already be striking now," Bevill told them. "They are already far stronger than what you fought in DC. This is the only shot. If we fail here, there won't be another. They've taken control of the planet's automated resource networks, of which there were a lot following the alien war. Construction drones, automated trains, automated cars, supplemented by the AI's own automated workers. They've created a war machine from nothing, and if we don't crush it in its infancy, it won't just be mankind that suffers. This kind of AI is viewed as a category 1 threat to sapient life by most of the Milky Way, and its rise will definitely trigger an invasion of Earth by several of the galactic powers. Whatever the result of that, it won't be good for Earth."
02-06-2018, 12:45 PM
She looked at Isidora and asked, in a voice that did not echo with divinity, just a teenage girl's voice, "If you could save humanity by giving your life right now, would you?"
02-06-2018, 12:48 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2018 12:52 PM by Protoman.)
Isidora stands up. She takes off her glasses, and there is fire in her eyes. They dart back and forth across the group.

"I would, girl. But I have that choice. I would not dare make that choice for others."

She narrows her eyes on Bevill.

"If extinction is the price of righteousness, then let it be ours. I will fight to the last, I will bleed every drop of blood I have, I will fight and kill and die for my fellow man, but my work is for my fellow man. Sacrificing innocent men, women, and children - for the sake of Christ above, BABIES, because you think it's our best chance at survival? If you think that is righteousness, then shoot me now. Execute me on the spot, because I am your sworn enemy. I work for what is good and righteous and just. What you propose is not that - it is an unholy sacrifice of unprecedented levels."
02-06-2018, 12:52 PM
"I feel I missed something extreme here, what's this about sacrificing babies?" Casey asked cautiously. He wasn't sure if this was exaggeration.

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
02-06-2018, 12:55 PM
Max's body shook at the suggestion of flooding the basin.

"I already have the blood of millions on my hands. Will you really make me add hundreds of thousands more?"

The one, the only, Vancho!
02-06-2018, 12:56 PM
When Isidora turned her back to Lux and started monologuing about letting the human race die, Lux tackled her to the floor, and pinned her there. "I would give my life for the sake of humanity. I would also take yours. Don't you dare try to end humanity because you are afraid of what that might entail and then pretend to be righteous."

"...We are still discussing this."
02-06-2018, 12:59 PM
Isidora stares her coldly in the eye.

"Will my blood help assuage your conscience? Will it convince you that the sacrifices you've made, the sacrifices you wish to make, are all in the name of what is just?"

She smiles. It's not condescending, or angry, but resigned. There's a flash of hesitation in her eyes, but only a flash.

"Do it then, Lux. Kill me."
02-06-2018, 01:02 PM
Lux ignored the taunt, and gathered Isidora's hands together, cuffing them with bonds of light. She then started systematically disarming her.

"How long would it take to start the machinery? And how long would it take for the basin to flood after it starts working?" She asked.
"Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa." Casey said quickly, scrabling up to try and get inbetween Isadora and Lux. "What the fuck is happening here? No team killing guys, let's talk things out a bit." Casey was alarmed by this sudden escalation. Plus, didn't want Isadora dying somehow in what madness had descended. She'd seemed nice.

Isidora struggles against that. She's not just going to let herself be restrained.
02-06-2018, 01:06 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2018 01:08 PM by Cidellus.)
Isidora threw Lex off, managing to get to her feet!

Lone Star jumped up, revolvers out.

"WHO HERE IS CONSPIRING TO KILL TEXANS!?" he asked, revolvers in hand.
02-06-2018, 01:09 PM
Isidora places a hand on her own gun, as if to ward off any attempts to brutalize her again. She will go down fighting.
02-06-2018, 01:09 PM
Casey looked over at Lone Star. Oh Christ. Umm...

"They said Mexicans, not Texans." He suddenly said, completely straight-faced.

02-06-2018, 01:10 PM
"No. They explicitly said they want to flood the Permian basin."
02-06-2018, 01:10 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2018 01:11 PM by Cidellus.)
"YOU AIN'T JUST COWARDS, YOU'RE LYING COWARDS!" he yelled, looking at Casey. "Expected nothing less from a CHILD KILLING, CONVICT, YELLOW-BELLIED SON OF A BITCH!"

He glanced around the room.

"WHO HERE WANTS TO SAVE TEXAS!?"
02-06-2018, 01:12 PM
Lux is standing there one moment, and then her shroud swarms around her form, and... she's still standing there. (Though her true form has, invisibly, fucked off from that spot.)
02-06-2018, 01:13 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2018 01:14 PM by MQuinny1234.)
Casey looked hurt at the child killing thing, but may as well continue here.. "The Permian basin is full of illegal immigrants, and the flooding of it will lead to a rampant verdant bloom of life in the state of Texas, increasing economy and tourism." He continued onwards, may as well try, he didn't lose much from lying blatantly.

02-06-2018, 01:15 PM
"I don't like this plan, but if we're really so pressed for time...

If we could get an army, would that give us any more room?"
02-06-2018, 01:15 PM
Isidora looks at Casey with hurt in her eyes before turning back to Lone Star.

"You're a distasteful bigot. But I've no wish to pull the trigger on the innocents living in this basin, and if you feel the same, then you can count me in."
02-06-2018, 01:18 PM
Invisible Lux tries to lock eyes with Bevill, and tries to indicate that she will take Isidora, but he needs to get Lonestar. She waits for a reaction.

If he goes for it, Lux is going to chop off Isidora's gun arm and take her down again.
02-06-2018, 01:26 PM
"Permian Basin's full of OIL, KID-KILLER! Texas's LIFEBLOOD!" shouted Lone Star. "It'd be the DOOM OF TEXAS, NOT ITS SALVATION!"

Bevill seemed unworried about Lone Star's outburst. He mostly seemed to be ignoring him, maintaining his calm and composure despite the chaos. He shook his head at Lex, however. Violence between mankind's defenders would solve nothing.

"I fear an army would only fare as well as the one that tried to defend DC, if not worse. Stealth and clever planning will be our advantages here, not brute force," Bevill said before looking to Isidora. "Sacrifices are sometimes necessary in war. If we lose, it ends in the slavery and likely destruction of mankind. Thus, if we do this and win, a hundred thousand die. If we don't do this and lose, the hundred thousand die in addition to everybody else on the planet. Unless of course the AI wins against a combined alien combination, which is extremely unlikely."
02-06-2018, 01:27 PM
"Wouldn't work as a full on assault, no. But as a distraction, maybe."
02-06-2018, 01:31 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2018 01:31 PM by Protoman.)
Isidora shakes her head, either totally oblivious to the specter of death looming behind her or totally uncaring towards it. (SPOILER: It's the former.)

"Morality isn't a numbers game, Mr. Bevill. People are not statistics. The trolley problem is not so easily solved. I will not stand by you if you do this."
02-06-2018, 01:35 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2018 01:35 PM by MQuinny1234.)
Casey looked around desperately. Um, um, um...

Okay, things needed to be controlled slightly. What were his options here?... Right. He'd deal with Lone Star, who could help?

...He looked at Diamante in the corner. Okay, the two bullet-proof guys. He tries to clandestinely make eye contact with Diamante and jerk at Lone Star, then make a two sign and a point at Lone star, and a questioning look. If he got a assertion, he's try to move about slightly to be able to dive near Lone Star. Plus, like, if Lone Star had a way of hurting them, then fuck Diamante anyway.

02-06-2018, 01:40 PM
Lux evaporated her sword, put her hands up in an extremely frustrated gesture and shook them. "ARRGH SHE'S GOING TO GET HUMANITY KILLED" was definitively the silent message being communicated here.
02-06-2018, 01:42 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2018 01:42 PM by Cidellus.)
Diamante was sitting in the corner sipping whiskey from a glass.

He saw Casey's covert message.

He shrugged and chucked his whiskey glass at Lone Star, striking him in the head. One of Lone Star's revolvers went off, ricocheting off a wall and striking Bald Eagle's armor. At that point, Lone Star fell to the ground unconscious.

Bald Eagle was unphased.

"I'm not going to kill innocent Americans," Bald Eagle said, walking over to the group. "Since when are we afraid of a hard fight? So we can't win with a frontal assault. We just won't do a frontal assault."

He gestured to Casey.

"I've seen that guy dig tunnels faster than most men can sprint," he said. "We dig in, blast our way through their underground defenses, and fight our way through. Like we did back during the One Day War. AI knows his weakness, so he can have my power armor during this. It'll keep him safe from any of that stuff."
02-06-2018, 01:42 PM
Siren was quiet at Bevill’s side. She went wide-eyed at the chaos, then gripped her spear in white-knuckled hands. To anyone paying attention she appeared to be whispering, or maybe praying.

(Kadis then sent a PM.)
02-06-2018, 01:44 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2018 01:45 PM by MQuinny1234.)
Casey...sighs, and gives Diamante a thumbs up.

"I'm okay with tunnelling either way I guess, it would work either way wouldn't it? We're talking about flooding a state or something?" Casey asked, walking over to the bar and picking out a whiskey bottle a glass. He carefully poured it full, and handed it silently to Diamante.

Oh, and then he walked over to Lone Star to make sure he wasn't dying.

02-06-2018, 01:45 PM
Max just sat in the corner. He didn't have anything more to add to the argument and frankly he was having a bit of a panic attack about everyone dying.

The one, the only, Vancho!
02-06-2018, 01:57 PM
"Would that...work? Asks the empty air near Isidora.
02-06-2018, 01:58 PM
Isidora nodded along with Bald Eagle. This wasn't a kill-or-be-killed scenario.

God Bless America.
02-06-2018, 02:01 PM
"Anything's better than mass murder, as far as I'm concerned. I'm willing to give it a chance."
02-06-2018, 02:08 PM
"I'm afraid that Bald Eagle's plan is incredibly unlikely to succeed," Bevill said, shaking his head. "We'd have to fight through countless robots of numerous sizes as well as whatever other defenses they put up. If I were to guess, Bald Eagle's plan would have a 5% chance of success. Siren's plan would likely have a 75% chance of success."

He looked to everybody.

"This is mass murder. There is no other word for it. But without this, billions could die rather than hundreds of thousands. The very Earth could die, with all life glassed from it by fearful alien alliances. I don't wish to see that happen...I can't...I can't see that happen."
02-06-2018, 02:17 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2018 02:19 PM by Palamedes.)
"Maybe. The AI might have contingencies for flooding as well though. I'm willing to play the odds, and if it'd improve them I might be able to make a distraction for the AI to focus its attention on, though it could take a few hours."
02-06-2018, 02:21 PM
"Is there any way we could...set the flood on a timer? Try to take it out without flooding the basin first?" She sounded very uncertain about the right course of action here.
02-06-2018, 02:23 PM
"We cannot merely turn our backs on them. We cannot doom them simply for the sake of convenience." Isidora shakes her head, closing her eyes. She mumbles to herself:

"Then he will say to those at his left hand, ‘You that are accursed, depart from me into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not give me clothing, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ Then they also will answer, ‘Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not take care of you?’ Then he will answer them, ‘Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’"
02-06-2018, 02:28 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2018 02:38 PM by MQuinny1234.)
Casey peeled open Lone Star's eyelids, studied them and looked over at Dr Emily. "Yeah, he's probably gonna die by the way without help. Just as an update."

"Also, FYI, feel free to take into consideration that it's my, the child-killer's, opinion, but I think we should flood the base. It's awful, but I'll go with the side the odds support in this case. Whether or not it damns us." He didn't make eye contact with Isadora, and just walked over to Diamante and poured himself a drink.

02-06-2018, 02:59 PM
This "flood half of Texas" thing was way over Emily's head and she had NO IDEA how to respond to anything that was happening right now!!

But, the notion that Lone Star was probably going to die kind of spurred her to action. She hit him with enough healing to make him not die... but y'know, not enough to wake him up. He needed rest. Doctor's orders.
02-06-2018, 03:08 PM
During the last couple minutes, people may have noted Maria blipping in and out, setting shrines down next to her own. This final time, when she returned, she... She was blue? Her skin was anyway, her eyes pure white, navy tracks down her cheeks. Magic war paint. She set a final shrine down on the ground, and then stood tall, ready to-

What the fuck happened here?!

God- time- “Doc- what can you handle?”
02-06-2018, 03:10 PM
Emily stood up, deciding Lone Star was probably going to live now. And oh hey okay Maria is blue now, probably a normal god thing. That's fine! Everything's fine. "Most things, probably?? Why?"
02-06-2018, 03:14 PM
“I can get us backup, but one of them, she’s in bad shape. Missing bits, organs in the air- can you handle that? Could- is there any way I could help? Make it easier- I don’t know...”

The tracks on her face were only in color, but if studied closely, one might notice they were- Uhh- full- of water, weepy girl.
02-06-2018, 03:22 PM
"THE HELL IS HAPPENING IN HERE?"

Vigil leaned into the room, mixing a beaker of various bathroom cleaners.
02-06-2018, 03:22 PM
...Could she fix that? Emily hadn't tried sticking someone's organs back in with her powers yet. Still.

"If you can bring her here, or... or bring me to her?? I'll do everything I can to save her. I'll tell you if there's anything you can do once I see the situation."
02-06-2018, 03:25 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2018 03:25 PM by MQuinny1234.)
Huh, Coyote was blue now? Was blue the new cool colour? Blue was a good colour, he should wear more blue. Ah, she was upset about this. He hoped no one would bring up the mass murder potential just right now. He walked over, gave her a timid pat on the back and offered a whiskey bottle.

Ah, the other crazy dude. "Nothing man, all cool, go back to your Wrecking Bad shit."

02-06-2018, 03:47 PM
Maria looked at the bottle...

Nah, she wasn’t about that business. She gave Casey an appreciative look, however, briefly (very briefly) setting a hand on his shouder.

“Right, I’ll grab her, where do you want her to be set up?” She asked, going to grab Adrasteia’s shrine. She’d set it down wherever Emily wanted, leave to give Adrasteia the signal to come, and then come back to help.
02-06-2018, 03:54 PM
"YEAH, SOMEHOW, WHEN YOU TELL ME IT'S NOTHING, I DOUBT IT'S ACTUALLY NOTHING."

Vigil enters the room proper. He looks at the unconscious Lone Star, with glass embedded in his forehead, and chuckles.

"WISH I'D BEEN HERE FOR THAT... SO WHO DID HE TRY TO SHOOT? IS IT KANE? THESE GUN VIGILANTES ARE ALWAYS SO MURDER-HAPP-"

He takes note of his blue-armored compatriot.

"THESE GUN-EXCLUSIVE VIGILANTES ARE ALWAYS SO MURDER HAPPY, CAN'T KEEP THEIR KILL-BONERS UNDER CONTROL."
02-06-2018, 04:01 PM
Emily has the shrine set up in the medical bay! It'll be easier that way.