Masks: Tales of Heroism and Villainy
02-08-2018, 03:32 PM
RE: Masks: Tales of Heroism and Villainy
Maria like, caught Adrasteia up on the situation.
02-08-2018, 03:56 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2018 04:01 PM by Cidellus.)
Adrasteia nodded.

"All right. I'll be back in a minute. Need to get my spare armor," she said, going off to her shrine.

Just as she left, another two showed up from another goddamn shrine in the common room. One was a seven foot tall muscular sharp-toothed, blue, bug-eyed man in Aztec attire, while the other was a woman in a jade skirt surrounded by flowing water. She had darker skin and black hair, and looked to be around six feet tall.

"Greetings! I am Tlaloc, God of RAIN, LIGHTNING, AND THUNDER, here to aid in the DEFENSE OF MANKIND!" Tlaloc shouted as water flowed around him.

"And I am Chalchiuhtlicue, Goddess of Flowing Water," said the woman. "If you'd like, you may call me Chalchi."

Lex and the Dragonfly walked back in just as this happened.
02-08-2018, 04:02 PM
Maria HEARD THIS FROM THE OTHER ROOM. ”Damn it Dad really...”
02-08-2018, 04:03 PM
Emily washes her hands!

"...Dad? Who?"
02-08-2018, 04:03 PM
Casey stared at them in shock. "...Coyote? Your friends are here?" He yelled at the direction to the medical room. He got up and stepped back away from all the incoming water. "Welcome? To the defence of mankind?"

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
02-08-2018, 04:05 PM
“I HEARD!” Maria shouted back to Casey. “Uhh, my dad and his wife are here. Backup. By the by, uh, Doc?”
02-08-2018, 04:07 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2018 04:09 PM by Anomaly.)
"Yeah, Coyote?"

Emily is using A LOT OF SOAP. My god, there's blood everywhere.
02-08-2018, 04:08 PM
Lux immediately turned on her own lightshow. Which is to say, she flickered first to her heroic form, crown of light and wings of the same etc, and then, considering the strange forms the other gods were rocking, wrapped herself in illusion to present a similarly in-human appearance. This one was based on her dream avatar. Tendrils of darkness emerging from a silhouette of galactic starry splendor.

"Call me Lux. I am the Starbright Prince. Always glad to have backup for the apocalypse," she sounded a bit sarcastic, but that may have just been because she was a teenager.
02-08-2018, 04:13 PM
Maria squinted at all the light coming in through the door. Fucking drama queens.

“I was going to like, give you a hug, but it looks like you’re gonna be scraping blood off you for a bit. Thank you. She’ll be a real hand in the battle ahead, don’t think I’m... being sketchy about this, I guess. But she’s also dear to me. Your services are invaluable, and appreciated. And you’re pulling it off in... hell? This is kinda hell. So. Respect.”
02-08-2018, 04:14 PM
The Dragonfly glanced at Lux.

"..."

"We've met before, Lux! No need for introductions!" Tlaloc said.

The other shrine flashed, and a tall woman that heavily resembled Adrasteia stepped through. She looked sterner though, and despite appearing to be the same age, had the air of being far older. She was clad in golden armor, and carried both a round shield (with a gorgon head embedded in it) and a long spear.

She looked over at Tlaloc, sighed, then looked to everybody.

"I am Athena, Goddess of Strategy, Wisdom, and a lot of other things. There's no time for this," Athena said. "Where is the one you call Coyote?"
02-08-2018, 04:15 PM
Max looked up from his corner when Athena got there.

"Hi boss. In the medical bay, with the doctor."

The one, the only, Vancho!
02-08-2018, 04:16 PM
”It’s not a huge ship! I can hear you!”
02-08-2018, 04:17 PM
Lux just open palm indicated Chalchi when Tlaloc was talking. Like. Rude. That introduction was for HER.
02-08-2018, 04:19 PM
Casey looked around for more shrines in case it started getting like, real crowded in here?

After that, he just, went to the drinks machine and started pouring out some tea for people, nice calming tea. Plus, kept him busy. Gods probably liked tea.

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
02-08-2018, 04:24 PM
"Yeah, uh, maybe save that hug?" Emily shrugs. "I'll be honest, I didn't even know if I should have come here. Probably a lot of people back in Mishawum I could be helping right now, but... I mean, if I can help save, y'know, everyone? I guess it's worth it."

And then more yelling happened!

"...So, what, that's the real Athena? Are all myths true??"
02-08-2018, 04:24 PM
Isidora chuckled to herself. 'Gods', they called themselves, as if they deserved worship. Even if these were the physical forms of Athena, Tlaloc, and Chalchiuhtlicue, they were not Gods, but gods. Not the supreme divinities governing the universe, but pretentious immortals pretending they mattered more than they did. Still, she would let them delude themselves. They could prove powerful allies in the battle to come.

She taps her fingers against her elbow as her arms are crossed. "Tlaloc, was it? If you are a 'god' of water, would I be right to assume you're going to join with those who would like to see the basin flooded?"
02-08-2018, 04:28 PM
Lux pivoted to yell at Isidora again. "Hey? Do you mind? No one 'wants' to flood the basin, ok? This has been established. It's a contingency plan. Cool your goddamn jets!"
02-08-2018, 04:28 PM
"Before this line of conversation continues," Athena said. "Can somebody update me on what the current plan is, and what information you have available? I have sent Hermes to scout the Permian Basin, and I have information of my own to contribute."
02-08-2018, 04:31 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2018 04:31 PM by Protoman.)
Isidora smiles to her. "My jets remain cooled, little one. I meant only to point out that he had water powers, and to try and assess who would be with who."

She looks to Coyote to be the explanatory voice for Athena. They seemed to have history.
02-08-2018, 04:31 PM
"Subterranean entry. Wreck the AI. Flood it if it's going to hell." Lux supplied, galactic hand on starry hip. She wasn't sure if Athena was rude as hell or on the right track for cutting right to business. Probably both.
02-08-2018, 04:32 PM
“Uhh, Yeah? Long story. Tell you what, tell you when we finish this. Get that hug back at you then, too.”

Then Maria heard more yelling. Right. “Better get things together. See you in a minute, Doc.”

And she went out of the med bay and into the common area to explain what was happening to all the gods n stuff.
02-08-2018, 04:33 PM
Emily, meanwhile, decided to go, like... shower and put on different clothes.

There's so much blood you guys.
02-08-2018, 04:37 PM
Athena listened to Maria's explanation, then looked to everybody.

"The robots have evacuated most of the Permian Basin into camps located within the city of Rainwalk. This was done mainly to aid in suppressing future potential guerrilla activity on the part of the locals, and to fully secure the region's oil resources. Many are still in transit, but will likely have arrived in the city by the time the flooding starts," Athena said. "Only a scarce few stragglers remain in the countryside."
02-08-2018, 04:48 PM
Lux considered how this was likely to shift the calculations, and turned to Dragonfly. "...Let's go see if they have scuba gear in your size..."
02-08-2018, 04:53 PM
"That... weighs much less on my conscience then. Isidora," Max said as he stood up. "Is this good enough for you? That most of the people will be spared from this plan?"

The one, the only, Vancho!
02-09-2018, 02:37 AM
Simon shrugs at Max. "Some transports that could be close enough. Well, potentially. Obviously I haven't been able to get in contact with them. I'm not sure if they'd find all of the stragglers, but assuming at least some of them manage to hold onto something that floats they might be able to save a few more."

He then turns to Athena. Whoo. Actual gods.

"How do you know all of that?"
02-09-2018, 02:54 AM
Dragonfly nodded, going off to do just that with Lux!

”Through the scouting efforts of Hermes, as I stated before,” Athena said, addressing Simon.
02-09-2018, 03:03 AM
"Sorry, I missed that. It's all uh, a little overwhelming. Sorry again."
02-09-2018, 03:44 AM
“Overwhelming is putting it lightly,” Yasmine managed, staring goggle-eyed at the newcomers. “So we have it on... actual god authority most folks would make it out? And Simon could help try to find the rest?” She chewed her lip again, avoiding looking in the general direction of Isidora. “Maybe it should be just me, then. Like, maybe this should be a more main plan, if anyone wants to come along.”
02-09-2018, 03:56 AM
Vigil could be seen in the background carrying an oxygen tank he looted from the medbay, replete with an ad-hoc scuba mask fashioned from duct tape.

He shoves it into Casey's backpack.

"PACK MULE DUTY."

He then scurries off to go load up on C4.
02-09-2018, 04:26 AM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2018 04:27 AM by MQuinny1234.)
Casey immediately takes out the oxygen tank and the shitty scuba mask from his bag and puts it on the couch as Vigil scurries off.

"Yeah, I'm not swimming anywhere. I don't do swimming. I'll just go really deep under the earth and get there that way. For which I will actually need oxygen so..." Casey put the oxygen tank back into his bag then inspected the scuba mask, thinking. "Was...Was he hoping I'd use this and die or something?"

02-09-2018, 05:49 AM
The mask had notably been crafted to fit a Vigil-sized face.
02-09-2018, 06:14 AM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2018 06:14 AM by MQuinny1234.)
...Casey inspected the oxygen tank, saw it was a medical one instead of say, an actual diving one, sighed, and put it on the coach.

"Yeah, I'm not carrying an oxygen tank into battle if I can help it. What with the exploding and all. Do we have actual scuba gear on the ship? Or magical air bubbles or something?"

02-09-2018, 06:39 AM
"Worry not," Tlaloc said. "My wife and I can keep the water at bay."

Chalchi nodded. "It is kind of our thing afterall."

At that, Bevill re-entered the room from his office carrying a large wooden trunk.

"We have reached the Permian Basin," he said, noting the presence of the Gods. "If we are to strike, it must be now. Have you all agreed on a plan?"

Adrasteia also stepped out of the med-bay in a new suit of golden armor, having teleported in using her shrine. She carried a sword and shield, and once again looked ready for battle.
02-09-2018, 06:46 AM
Emily emerged, newly-showered and in significantly less bloody clothes!

"Sorry about that, had work to do. So like I was saying, uh, I really can't support flooding the basin and, you know, killing tons of people??"

Naturally, Emily hadn't been in the room for the revelation that flooding Texas was totally fine.
02-09-2018, 06:47 AM
Maria told her about that, since she didn’t know!
02-09-2018, 06:54 AM
"Well, the underground is covered with cement and stuff, so I can't tunnel in and I can't swim in." Casey shrugged, and offered a thumbs up. "If I have to do one, I'm doing the tunnelling though and just punching my way through eventually."

02-09-2018, 07:16 AM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2018 07:50 AM by Whimbrel.)
Lex and her sister would likely find that the scuba suits were not tailored for four armed bugs, nor were their back fastened components designed to allow for easy manifestations of magical appendages. Oh well. "Guess we'll be relying on the water gods or Siren's creatures," Lex sighed.

"Oh well. But. Speaking of them, try and keep away from Athena, where you can. Maybe that other god Coyote brought in earlier, too. Alright?"
02-09-2018, 01:13 PM
"So probably not enough time. Still might be worth a shot. Emily, Max, do you think you could make a couple of connections? Athena, uh, did Hermes happen to notice any large concentrations of stragglers?"
02-09-2018, 03:05 PM
Isidora shakes her head. "Less people is not none. I'm still against it."
02-09-2018, 04:11 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2018 06:50 PM by Cidellus.)
"...why?" asked Dragonfly.

"Indeed. A handful of people is not none, but it's far fewer than the millions that are dying right now," Athena told Isidora. "Fortunately for the sake of humanity and Earth as a whole, you are not the only one making decisions."

Athena looked towards Simon.

"There are no large concentrations. Hermes is, however, saving who he can."

"I'll dedicate the ship to rescuing as many people as possible as well," Bevill said. "Once we are dropped off, it'll have no use until the heavy combat starts. The shuttles are prepared. One is headed towards Rainwalk, and the other is headed towards the robot compound. Make your choices individually, I shall not attempt to infringe on your beliefs, though I would advise that one of the water gods travel with the assault team. If only to protect the assault team once the flooding begins."

(PICK YER TEAMS!

TEAM ASSAULT is going to the robotic citadel to disrupt the citadel with a massive distraction. This may be a good fit for the stealth-minded characters or characters with stealth-based powers.

TEAM FLOOD is going to Rainwalk to infiltrate the ancient ruins buried beneath and activate the terraforming system. It is unknown what dangers lie in wait beneath the city, considering the ancient lizard city of old fell to eldritch horrors. Robots are also garrisoning Rainwalk, which might prove to be an obstacle. A heavy combat team might be needed.

Both teams will need support people, of course. A healer like Dr. Emily or an engineer like Max can always find use.

Ultimately, though, it's up to the beliefs of the characters involved. NPC heroes and KNIGHT operatives will be going along with the various teams too.

Good luck!

Oh, and another thing. If the flood team is successful and survives, the KNIGHT transport ship will be waiting for you on the surface to take you to the assault. Unless you are Siren and can swim there faster than a transport could take you. In which case you'll just swim. In short, both teams will meet back up with each other EVENTUALLY so don't sweat it too much.)
02-09-2018, 04:13 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2018 04:13 PM by Protoman.)
Isidora rolls her eyes at the haughty god's petty view of morality.

"I will be with the assault team."
02-10-2018, 01:43 AM
Yasmine listened closely but didn’t really say anything.

Everyone already knew she was TEAM FLOOD.
02-10-2018, 02:19 AM
Casey looked at himself. Yeah, he wasn't stealthy. But... He may actually be able to use digging powers in the "ancient scary city" or something, so...

"I'll do team flood, I guess?"

02-10-2018, 02:37 AM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2018 02:42 AM by Whimbrel.)
"Because in my experience, roughly half of all Gods are mind controlling monsters, and while I admit I don't know her EXACT abilities, Athena did just introduce herself as the Goddess of 'Wisdom' and 'Strategy'. So I'd rather be prudent than fall under some spell." She did, indeed, use her fingers to do air quotes there.
02-10-2018, 02:51 AM
“Oh...all right then,” Sydney said.

They went back to the group and found them all dividing into teams!
02-10-2018, 03:24 AM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2018 04:17 AM by Corn.)
... Maria took her shrine on the ground, packed that up, and gave it to her father. “Going with the other team, to make sure it gets started smoothly. But when there’s appropriate time to set me down, if we’re done, I’ll be right over.”

A good compromise, she thought. Unless things were vastly unbalanced at the end of it, she’d go TEAM FLOOD!

... She approached Siren, gentle smile on her strange sad blue face. “Might take that back, since I’m coming along anyway.” She said, gesturing to the bag of bullshit she gave her earlier.
02-10-2018, 04:33 AM
Siren handed back the bag! She looked pretty relieved not to be going on her own.
02-10-2018, 04:47 AM
Lux put herself on team Flood!
02-10-2018, 08:06 AM
Emily feels an obligation to be on Team Flood, since she's not sneaky at all and they're probably going to need the healing more.

Hopefully someone goes on Team Assault??