Masks: Tales of Heroism and Villainy
08-14-2018, 01:17 PM
RE: Masks: Tales of Heroism and Villainy
Casey walked back with the drinks, and then, with a minor change in direction as if he'd deflected off a force field, kept on walking at the sight of the psychedelic prom queen and train-spotting hobo, sitting up at the counter beside the starving furry. Man, he should get a costume one of these days, that wasn't like, his skin and face anyway. He started sipping from the tray of drinks he now had, offering the collection to Raven, and ordered some blueberry pancakes. He was still trying to stay off the salt these days and keep eating healthy, even though it wouldn't kill him anymore.

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
08-14-2018, 01:33 PM
Maria looked absolutely bewildered, and her gaze turned to Casey, a desperate ‘what the fuck do I do- wait, why am I looking to you for help here- AUGH’ sort of ... series of looks. The Last one was a look of being beside herself. What the fuck. She mouthed ‘I’m so sorry,’ at the poor waitress who took notice, from the confines of the weird light tentacle hug. Lex was inebriated. She smelled like a Freshman Mistake and she was acting like one too. Again, probably not the weirdest thing to walk into a Lenny’s. She hoped she wasn’t getting mud all over the booth too.

“...” She took a deep breath. It was post-apocalypse avoidal. She was with them, and not out on the streets with strangers.... This could be handled... “... Be nice to the waitstaff,” She said, in gentle, unenthusiastic chiding, just kind of. Being here. Trapped now. This couldn’t be good for Lex’s back.
08-14-2018, 01:37 PM (This post was last modified: 08-14-2018 01:38 PM by Anomaly.)
"...Hi, Lux." Emily, who it should be mentioned was sitting next to Maria, looks maybe a little put off by the muddy and probably drunk Lex now lounging pretty much up in her face. She briefly considers curing her drunkenness, but... eh.
08-14-2018, 01:42 PM (This post was last modified: 08-14-2018 01:43 PM by Whimbrel.)
Lux was absolutely getting mud on the booth.

"I'm being nice!! They will be happier to have good music on!" She protested. "Hey, what's a good drink?" Lux shoved the menu in Maria's face. It was turned to the full bar section.
08-14-2018, 01:45 PM
"You know that the U.S. military has spent billions of dollars on ketchup"

Vigil eyes a ketchup bottle, clearly bored, giving this spiel to no one in particular.

"Also, 'fancy' ketchup is called that because it has a higher concentration of tomatoes. It's non-Newtonian and becomes more liquid the more stress is put upon it. It can clean tarnished metals and copper."

He prepares to dump a worryingly large amount on the fries that'll come with his cheese-stick sandwich.

"Also, I've found some really messed up applications for it on the Dark Web, but I won't go into those. But yeah, that's why I own a tub of the stuff. Stays good for a long time, too."
08-14-2018, 01:48 PM
Maria wanted to die. And scrub the booth. She was probably going to do that when Lex got up later. Her chin receded into her neck, pulling away from the menu enough to see that Lex was indeed a freshman mistake. “... You ever had a Shirley Temple?” She asked, trying to gently deceive her. “That’s uhh. Really good- What?”

Her concentration is ruined by this man.
08-14-2018, 01:50 PM
Adrasteia looked over as Maria was trapped in the Lex hug.

She seemed sympathetic.

But was also laughing a bit.

Clearly not that sympathetic.

Meanwhile, Nick was getting drunk at the bar, Marcella was eating a nice sandwich as she waited for calls to pick people up, Apollo and Artemis were at a private booth eating, and Ulrika was eating a large stack of pancakes with Adrasteia. Catalina and Rafael had disappeared into a room near the bathrooms that read "POOL TABLE + ARCADE" while Mason was in the bathroom cleaning the mud off his clothes. The Streak had been forced to stay outside due to having neither shirt nor shoes, and was probably off acquiring some suitable clothing in a rather sad manner. Hector was off on his own, enjoying a large plate of waffles.

Food was being delivered as it was finished, which was generally pretty quick.
08-14-2018, 01:56 PM
"Yeah, a lot of people don't know how versatile ketchup is. I'd say it's the Swiss Army knife of condiments but that title goes to mayo. You can remove adhesives and kill headlice with mayo. Use it as quick grease substitute, too, if you want your door hinges to smell like mayonnaise."

Vigil shrugged.

"Doesn't keep too long. I usually get Miraculous Whip instead. And I don't use them for industrial uses. Except for, like, one arrow, I'm working on. But there's a better source of the acids and sugars I need for that one than ketchup."

The sandwich was delivered. Vigil nodded and gave a grunt of thanks to the server before drowning the fries in ketchup.

"... I wonder if I could get a bowl of gravy for these things, too... Hm, no, I think I'm fine with the marinara they gave with the sandwich... Say, did anyone find a weakness for the angels? I trapped one in concrete but nothing really worked until more came out later on. Are they weak to... Other angels? I know electrical currents and fire don't do anything... I think hallucinogenics might have had a minor effect but I didn't want to let it out of the concrete to find out. Thing drank a gallon of LSD just fine."
08-14-2018, 02:00 PM
"My sword through their faces," Lux giggled. She flagged down a waiter. "I'll have uhhh Demetrian Ale, anddd some strawberry pancakes, aaand, ummm, every side. Should be good!"
08-14-2018, 02:04 PM
"D-Demetrian ale? We...don't carry whatever that is," said the poor waiter.
08-14-2018, 02:05 PM
Casey looked back at Maria, and gave a helpless shrug and gesture at the packed table, then a thumbs up. He believed in her.

He turned away, he didn't believe in her, the situation was unsalvageable, one could only pray for the survival of those trapped inside.

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
08-14-2018, 02:05 PM
"A very good drink!"
08-14-2018, 02:08 PM
"Yeah, you shouldn't be drinking. And I'm not saying that because I doubt you're old enough to legally, I'm saying that because you're already visibly drunk and, I'm going to guess, you probably haven't really drank before and that this has been a whole 'celebrate surviving the apocalypse' thing."

Vigil shrugged.

"But I can't stop you, whatever."

Vigil thinks of the tranquilizer arrows he's carrying and does mental math on how many it would take to down someone of Lex's height and proportions. Then he files those numbers away in his head for 'if she starts leveling the building' and moves on.

"So I guess I'm agnostic now. I mean, I sort of filed magic under 'weird science' until now but there's no getting around some powerful cosmic force in control of space and time. Not until I start working out some equations and theories, anyway."
08-14-2018, 02:09 PM
"We uh...we still don't carry it, Lux. Sorry."

It's worth noting that one of the waiters was casually standing behind the counter recording the entire meeting with his smartphone. Only the more observant people present would notice this.
08-14-2018, 02:15 PM
Vigil had an amount of black and green face paint on his face to help conceal his identity a little.

Still, he looks at the waiter as if making a mental profile and note of the individual, then returns to his meal.
08-14-2018, 02:16 PM
"Oh. Ok. Bring everything and put it on the table, then," she said, casually throwing that suggestion out there. She didn't know what any of it was, so she was just try it? Yeah.
08-14-2018, 02:17 PM
"Can...I see some ID?" the waiter asked.
08-14-2018, 02:17 PM
Vigil snorted a laugh.
08-14-2018, 02:20 PM
”No.” Maria butt in before Lex could do something stupid. “I think she’s on water right now, or maybe juice since she seems like she’ hunting for it, thank you very much sir,.”
08-14-2018, 02:21 PM
The shroud tightened around Maria as Lux laughed. "You know who I am! Don't be silly!"
08-14-2018, 02:22 PM
Isidora approaches Lux, blissfully unaware of what the hell these two are talking about and sorta shaking off excess grump from dealing with Casey. She rubs the back of her neck. "Lux. I-- I apologize if I upset you earlier. I, ah-- I hope you know it wasn't my intent."
08-14-2018, 02:24 PM (This post was last modified: 08-14-2018 02:25 PM by Corn.)
“Cranberry. Some nice strong cranberry juice, for this poor woman, please, and thank you.”
08-14-2018, 02:25 PM (This post was last modified: 08-14-2018 02:25 PM by Whimbrel.)
"Izzyyyy!" And the arms went up in the air, waving. "Forget it! It's fiiiine! Come drink with us! Real drinks! Actual drinks!"
08-14-2018, 02:27 PM
"Lux, if you want to keep the party going, you probably shouldn't be drinking too much booze. Why not energy drinks, instead? I passed a gas station on the way here, I can go score a case of Blue Horses."

Vigil smirks.

"You keep drinking booze, you'll pass out. Hey, do your illusion powers work while passed out? What's your mask made of, again?"
08-14-2018, 02:27 PM (This post was last modified: 08-14-2018 02:28 PM by Protoman.)
Isidora blinks.

"...I suppose you deserve a drink as much as anyone, America's arcane drinking laws aside. It's legal in my homeland, and it's legal in the nation I spent most of my life in, so I've no right to quarrel with it. That said, I've done enough damage to my excretory system today, so I'll have just a single glass of wine, if you will." She nods her head at the Waitress.
08-14-2018, 02:27 PM (This post was last modified: 08-14-2018 02:28 PM by Corn.)
“You bastard.” Maria said, to Vigil.
08-14-2018, 02:29 PM
"Uh, can I see your ID?" the waiter asked Isidora. "I mean, I know you guys are heroes and all, but...the law, you know?"
08-14-2018, 02:29 PM
Isidora hands over the ID.
08-14-2018, 02:32 PM
He checked it, then handed it back with a nod.

"Uh, you?" he asked Lex.
08-14-2018, 02:32 PM
"I mean, I just gave her a solid reason not to keep drinking booze. Did you really think you can just MAKE a teen stop doing something that easily?"

Vigil gazes off into the middle distance.

"It doesn't work like that."
08-14-2018, 02:34 PM
Her eyes flickered over to Isidora's I.D.

In her hand appeared a copy, which then quickly had some new details added in. Like a 'photo of Lux'. She flashed it to the waiter.
08-14-2018, 02:36 PM
He looked at it, then frowned.

"Preeeeeeeetty sure that's not legitimate..."
08-14-2018, 02:36 PM
"On second thought, I'll have two glasses of wine."
08-14-2018, 02:37 PM
Vigil sighs deeply and pours a cup of coffee.

"Yeah no seriously, what happens to your illusions when you lose consciousness, Lux, because I doubt you want to your family to danger because you had to get drunk in a Lenny's."

He watches the recording waiter out of the corner of his eye, waiting for the man to stop recording and head into the back.
08-14-2018, 02:38 PM (This post was last modified: 08-14-2018 02:38 PM by Cidellus.)
He looked at Isidora, frowned, and nodded.

"All right," he said, giving up and very much not wanting to tell a room full of heroes they couldn't celebrate. He went off to get the drinks.

The recording waiter was now pretending to text on his phone as he recorded. Totally discrete. Yep.
08-14-2018, 02:40 PM
"Vigillll I don't know what happens when I'm asleep! I'm busy dreaming! It's there when I wake up!"
08-14-2018, 02:41 PM
Isidora smiles as her plan goes into action. "Come now, leave the poor girl alone, Vigil. She's hardly a child, and she's gone through more than enough to earn a drink. You can hardly blame her for wanting to feel a little less, if only for today. Were I still her age, I'd probably drink myself to death. So long as she's the fortitude and sense not to go that far, she'll be fine."
08-14-2018, 02:44 PM
Maria frowned. Deeply. “Jesus Christ you two she’s fucked up en-“ she huffed, and stretched her arms out as much as she could. “Lux could you please ease up on this, I feel like a mouse in the coil of a boa constrictor.
08-14-2018, 02:46 PM (This post was last modified: 08-14-2018 02:50 PM by Kocel.)
"Can I get a paper to-go-sack? One large enough to put over a te-young adult's head in case of emergency."

Vigil waited for the wait-staff to bring him a sack and would start cutting eye-holes into it when he got it, using a small pocket knife.

"Yeah, no, see, the problem is she probably doesn't have those last two. I don't know what she drank before this, so I don't know what her tolerance is, and she's a te- young adult, just twenty-one. They don't tend to have sense, except when you least expect them to. They're walking paradoxes."

He remembers his cheese-stick sandwich and takes a break from arts-and-crafts to dip half of it in tomato sauce and take a bite.

"Sho-" he seems to remember manners, chews, and swallows, "So, how you taking this whole 'God' thing? It's funny, for once, us atheists get to be in the same boat as the piously religious. Never thought that'd happen."
08-14-2018, 02:55 PM
"I killed myself on Mount Kilimanjaro in a fit of faith to try and get God's attention, and apparently succeeded. I was happier then, perishing in the snow, slowly freezing to death and impaled upon my own blade, than I am now." She smiles weakly. "But I'm going to keep on trying to live. To make my life worth it, even if it must be on my own terms. And Jesus is, at least, still the Lord I have worshiped for so long. So... not all is lost."
08-14-2018, 02:58 PM
Two glasses of wine were brought back to the table and placed in front of Isidora by the tired looking waiter.
08-14-2018, 02:59 PM
She hands one to Lex and takes one for herself.
08-14-2018, 03:03 PM
Maria makes a note to neither personally nor professionally trust Isidora.
08-14-2018, 03:04 PM
Isidora, noticing how peeved Maria is, takes it back for a moment. "You can have this after a few glasses of water. Do we have a deal, Lux?"
08-14-2018, 03:05 PM (This post was last modified: 08-14-2018 03:06 PM by Kocel.)
"Yeah, okay, I'm glad you got past that bit."

Vigil takes a marker from his belt and adds a Stalin-esque mustache to the paper bag mask.

"If it's worth anything, I know what it's like to be told you're being made for something and have to figure yourself out afterwards. It seeps into every core of your being, becomes how you define yourself. Even once you stop telling yourself you're what they tried to make you into, you find out later that you're still subconsciously acting that way."

He adds a monocle.

"See, the issue I've got, this system this intelligence created, it's nice that people won't be screwed post-death for small details, but it also... Almost makes our side of things meaningless. Why keep going on when you may invalidate your ticket to utopia? I know I'm lucky, what with all the murder, I doubt I have a spot waiting there, but some people... Yeeeeah. Still, way I see it, no matter what, humanity will survive and linger on here, and at some point there'll be a generation that didn't talk to God and just have our word for it happening. They won't have a guarantee of paradise. So I think I'm going to keep going on for THEM, try to make a world on this side of mortality that can match the one on the other side. Bore the fuck out of that sleepy asshole using us as an ant farm. Maybe before I'm condemned to Hell or whatever I can figure out a way to take him down."

Vigil shrugged, completing a smile under the mustache that was missing a comical number of teeth.

"But yeah... So you met Jesus? Didn't think about asking that... Honestly, I didn't think about asking to talk to anyone interesting... Well, whatever. Glad you found something. You ever need a new purpose, let me know, you can help me make an arrow strong enough to kill a being in control of space and time."

He smirks.

"Also? She's just going to steal the wine from you."
08-14-2018, 03:10 PM (This post was last modified: 08-14-2018 03:11 PM by MQuinny1234.)
Christ, shit had gotten heavy. Casey slipped off to the arcade/pool room, after downing a couple more drinks and bringing his pancakes with him. He was gonna shoot some pool.

08-14-2018, 03:23 PM
She shakes her head and pushes both wineglasses to the opposite side of her, away from Lex. In fact, Vigil's right - she hands it to Maria. Maria needs a drink too. They all do. "It's... not so terrible as you make it out to be. Whatever happened to you and what happened to me are very different things."

She taps her fingers on a table and looks into the wood. "When I was selected to be an inquisitor, I was given the option to reject my duty. I was a child, yes, and no child can truly understand what they were asking of me, but I didn't even consider it. I was told I would be a soldier for God. God was, to me, the universe's motivation towards goodness. Justice. He was not just an old man in the sky, like he is for Evangelicals here in the United States - he was the all-encompassing love of the universe, personified and beyond personification both at once."

She drags her fingers across the table. "I was born in Maracaibo thirty years ago, under the right-wing American puppet government. The poor, destitute, and suffering were all around me, and I was one of them - just an orphan raised by poor nuns. When I was nine, the Chavistas took to the streets and won the presidency. Things changed... but not quickly. Not fast enough. From what I understood, the only thing preventing God's love from saving them was the presence of evil in the world. So how could I, a twelve year old girl, say no to fighting for them? For the people all around me? For an end to our suffering?"

She raises her eyes to meet Marcus's. "So I accepted it, and I never looked back. I fought, bled, and killed, and I did it because I thought it would bring all people peace, comfort, and happiness - that we had a promise, a universal guarantee, that once the war was won, things would be well, and we would all bask in the kingdom of heaven. Everything I did was for people."

"So..." She rubs the back of her neck. "I've found myself retaining my purpose with the help of our mutual friend," she nods to Maria, "but with a whole new set of fears. My future isn't unclear, but the whole of my life thus far has been pointless. My soul is doomed to hollow utopia, and my goal my well be unachievable. It's... A scary thought. To say the least."

She takes a long sip from her glass. Maybe she'd need something stronger. Fuck.
08-15-2018, 12:55 AM
Casey went back to the Fun Room and found Catalina and Rafael casually playing pool. Nearby was a small little arcade with three or four machines, including the racing game you saw in literally every arcade everywhere.
08-15-2018, 02:16 AM
"Where the fuck did my waffles go?"

08-15-2018, 05:40 AM
Casey gave whoever Catalina and Rafael were a nod, then moved over to an arcade and started blasting some zombies, he hadn't noticed shooting skills carrying over to video games but maybe one with an actual plastic gun would go better. He'd wait for a pool game to open up.