Masks: Tales of Heroism and Villainy
08-15-2018, 05:54 AM
RE: Masks: Tales of Heroism and Villainy
"Haha! I'm inescapable," she told Maria, smugly. Her tentacles shifted, and pat Maria on the head, but they did not uncoil. "You have to stay here and alive and drink with me like you said!"

Lux watches Isidora's attempt to placate Maria. She watches for an opportunity. And once Isidora launches into a monologue, she finds it.

Isidora releases her glass. Lux slaps an illusion on the table. Reaches across with a tendril of her shroud and a manifested cup of her own...and steals some.

Once Isidora takes a sip of her glass, she sees Lux doing the same.

But then Lux's face contorts, and she 'stealthily' spits it back into the manifested glass. Evidently, it's not what she expected a drink to taste like.
08-15-2018, 06:30 AM
Maria wished SHE could escape just cuz shit was getting weird and heavy! She wished SHE could just WALK AWAY, KANE.

She was about to cry on super-prom night, and honestly? She was kinda upset about it. Her plans a couple hours ago; get food, get a little tipsy and let go for once in her life, wind down with all these cool people she’d once again tried to avoid the truest disaster with. What she was at was waffles swiftly growing soggy and cold because she had no use of her arms and was a little preoccupied, no booze because the law, and a rapid buildup of stress that came with this drunk, what, late teen? And the two other idiots who cared about her who just thought it would be great to kill her with liver poisoning, and who were making it REALLY DARK and hard to get out of the Angst Zone it was so easy to be in.

Sniffle.

“I’m going to have to chew my arm off to get out, and then I’ll bleed to death, and that’s-“ Sniff- “Not what I said.”

A youngling discovering how nasty wine was almost made it worth it? But not quite. It’s too bad she has no arms and can’t shotgun the offered glass like the classy woman she was, but it was for the best since someone had to make sure this girl got HOME and she couldn’t fucking TRUST ANYONE. Sniffle.

“... Can we please lighten up. If I felt like physically fighting her, I would pick up and leave because I didn’t come here to be sad. There’s a fucking dance machine in the arcade.” Sniff “I’d know the low thrum of shitty sped up electronic music anywhere. Even under all this generic diner music. It’s not right to come to a place like that and be sad about shit.”

She said, looking like she was about to get REAL sad about shit.
08-15-2018, 06:49 AM
THAT got the tentacles off. "Don't!!!" She whined. "You just got alive again!!! Fiiine, I'll let you go! BUT! You have to drink with me! Ok!?"

Even as she released Maria, her shroud seemed to writhe around like it had a mind of its own. It started looking for the next target. It coiled around the table leg. It wiggled on the booth backing. It picked up a spoon and traced patterns on the table. One even went over to Doctor Emily and tried to curl around her hand. It was like watching a drunk octopus.

Lex settled in with her strawberry pancakes and many many sides, pushing the disappointing drink to one side. Gross!

"You know what your problem is?" She said, to Isidora, joining into the conversation between bites. "Your problem is...not complicated! You got good skills. You got good ...morals, or whatever. Those are all fine. No, no, the problem, is...your god didn't want you, and your church was a lie, so now you feel lost. But, like! Whatever! There's plenty of people you could serve! Just find one! Plenty of people want knights. Knights are the best! I love mine. So just find someone like that and keep doing what you're doing! Its simple! Don't make it the end of the world!"

She then pointed to Isidora with a forkful of pancake. "But what IS the end of the world is your taste in drinks! It's awful! Get something better, ok?"
08-15-2018, 07:12 AM
"That reminds me, Coyote." Desmond said, the waffles Virgil had stolen slowly levitating away onto someone else's plate while he was busy looking for additional condiments, so that all he'd be left with was a soggy kethcup pastiche. "How are you still alive? I got word you'd been killed and started a civil war in the Greek pantheon, then I saw you, unbelievably, on the battlefield but, because Ragnarok, why should one ghost among many be out of the question. But now? You're uh... you. What did God cut you a deal or something?"

08-15-2018, 07:25 AM
Casey was too busy blowing virtual undead heads off and not having telepathy or x-ray vision or super senses to know what was going on in the other, but if he did, he woulda felt super guilty.

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
08-15-2018, 07:52 AM
In both an acceptance of Lex’s condition (was she just gonna let this girl bully her for the rest of their lives?) and an acknowledgement of Raven’s question, Maria’s first use of her newly freed hands was to grab the wine she’d been offered and empty it into her gullet like it was a shot. That was one of many useful skills she picked up in college. She grimaced, because she wasn’t a big wine gal and wine from a fucking Lenny’s of all places was untrustworthy, but when she’d gotten over it she looked to the question asker.

“I’m- ugh god that was a bad idea- I don’t think I started that? Right?” She looked to Adrasteia, kind of confused, because everyone played telephone when she died but like THAT was the weirdest thing she heard about it. “I really wanted to fight in what mighta been coming but- you know being dead means you can’t attend important events like your friend’s wars? Yeah, no, I became a god again, is how, apparently the frame work for it still... Works for a soul without a body, and it made me a body, so I’m here, and it really sucks and I said I’m not here to be sad so-“ Sniff “That’s all I got to say-“

And then she stuck her fork in the obscene pile of soggy waffles, cut a mouth-friendly hunk out of it, and shoved it in her mouth. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sugar, carbs, jesus she realized how hungry she was. Time to cry fat tears while eating something homey to the audience, like Miyazaki intended.
08-15-2018, 07:54 AM
Mason stepped out of the bathroom looking a bit cleaner and went to sit at the counter to eat. Far away from Lex.

“Actually, Raven, that was me,” said Adrasteia in her god voice to catch his attention. “I killed Ares in a duel and Zeus was going to have me executed for it. My mother, Athena, rescued me and kicked off the whole civil war.”
08-15-2018, 08:02 AM
Lux dropped her pancakes, and started trying to drunkenly console her heartbroken friend. "Heyyy, nooo honey it's ok! It's ok he wanted you to kill him! It all worked out! Shhh...."

She pulled away briefly to glare daggers at the Raven, who she'd just realized was the Raven. <STOP.>
<BULLYING>
<MARIA!!!> Appeared in neon letters between him and his breakfast.
08-15-2018, 08:13 AM
Isidora pats Maria's back, joining up with Lex in this feelings jam. "I'm... sorry for allowing Vigil to encourage me to make things heavy. And I'm sorry to hear you've lost someone today. If you ever have any desire whatsoever to discuss it, my schedule just cleared up a whole lot - I've got the time for a ramble or two, and for drinks. Preferably in a more appropriate locale." She smiles gently.

"For now, the obnoxious music about butterflies calls to me. Shall we take a break from our food and investigate it?"
08-15-2018, 08:26 AM
”I have a boyfriend-“ Maria said between tears and hunks of sweet wheat mush.

Maria didn’t notice the neon or anything because she was very busy staring at her mountain of waffle she was so intent on eating. “... Yea, thanks, I feel better now, thank you,” She said, trying very hard to just get Lex to stop. Big, big fat ghibli tears. Partially because she was trying to keep them from falling into her already wet waffles.

“... I would like to eat these before they get worse.” She said, looking up as she lobbed another giant hunk of sin in her mouth. Even the sweet serenade of dance games had to wait for these damn waffles. Omm.
08-15-2018, 09:35 AM
Desmond blinked at the neon letters, raised an eyebrow at it, then turned to Andrastia.

"Oh, apologies on my assumption, I just heard news of both via an Aztec god so I guess I conflated the events in my head. my condolences. I was kind of in a rush because fimbulwinter, then suddenly angels."

08-15-2018, 09:41 AM (This post was last modified: 08-15-2018 09:41 AM by Anomaly.)
Emily sure is overwhelmed by the sheer amount of things happening here! She's kind of just. Watching. Not saying much. Really pondering whether she should sober Lex up.

She settles for just kind of... quietly eating excessively spicy omelette. Heroes, huh?
08-15-2018, 10:03 AM (This post was last modified: 08-15-2018 10:05 AM by Whimbrel.)
Heroes, huh? Indeed. The neon faded, and the cuddling let up, though Lux still looked quite concerned as she watched her god friend cry into her waffle, occasionally interrupting the tears with a "Shhh....it's ok..." and some pats from a back tentacle.

If there was any wine left, regardless if it was near her or not, Lux experimented with using it as a syrup after she'd eaten some pancakes plain. Maybe that would make this alcohol tasty.

It should be noted, that around the room, things were subtly changing. A Lennys apparently not fancy enough, even for drunk Lux. A potted plant appeared. Some fancy carpeting. Ceiling lights morphing into chandeliers. Small stuff.
08-15-2018, 10:13 AM
Raven noticed this.

Raven went to get the vodka.

08-15-2018, 10:39 AM
"Don't worry about it," Adrasteia nodded. "It was a pretty convoluted series of eventsaaaaand he's going to get the vodka all right..."

She shrugged and went back to eating.
08-15-2018, 10:42 AM
Emily looks around at the changing scenery, then gives Lux a glance.

"This... isn't going to end well," she mutters to herself.

She also gives Adrasteia a wave! She knows that person! She's happy to see her insides are still on the inside.
08-15-2018, 01:38 PM
"Did I mess up at being a people?"

Vigil didn't notice the now saturated waffles float away like syrupy clouds.

"I think I messed up at being a people. Maria, I'm not good at talking. I used to be the quiet one around my last friends. Why do you think I opened up with talking about condiment facts?"
08-15-2018, 01:45 PM
“... Becaush yor reeli weird.” Said a mouthful of waffle with a face, looking up limply.
08-15-2018, 02:08 PM
"I spent a formulative period of my life being trained as a child soldier and no kid stuff spoke to me after that, so when I got into college I didn't have much in the way of conversation-starters for parties. Do you want to know how to perform impromptu surgery in a forest? Staunch bleeding from gunshot wounds? Keep ticks and fleas off of you?"

Vigil shrugged.

"Sorry, I'll try to keep things lighter? Uh... So, there's a type of onion common to forage around here, and you can pickle them..."
08-15-2018, 02:11 PM
“...” Gulp.

“Tell me about onion pickling.” Maria said, desperate to keep things nice long enough for her to finish her waffles and vacate to the horrid techno music that called to her soul.

And kill Casey.
08-15-2018, 02:14 PM
"Yeah so-"

And so Vigil when into detail about pickling wild onions, and the various merits of doing so.
08-15-2018, 03:01 PM (This post was last modified: 08-15-2018 04:15 PM by Cidellus.)
Some guy came in wearing a flannel shirt, a pair of jeans, and some flip flops. He also wore a scarf over his face.

He sprinted up to the counter and ordered a big old stack of pancakes, sitting down excitedly.

At that point, Nick Urias went over to Marcella and said something quietly to her. She nodded and teleported off, quickly teleporting back with two people!

One was the one and only Max Volts, dressed in casual attire. The other was a woman Lex and Maria both would recognize as AI Emily. To the others, she appeared to be a rather generic and ordinary brown-haired woman of average height and build. Upon closer observation, most would recognize that the skin, hair, and eyes were fake. Still, they were a good imitation.

"Hello," Emily said with a friendly wave, her voice recognizable to those who had taken part in the AI war.
08-15-2018, 05:01 PM
Isidora returns from an extended DDR break. She glances towards the newcomers, gives a small wave, and approaches them.

"Ah. Maximilian. Emily. It is nice to see the two of you again. If you'll excuse me, I was talking with Vigil, Lux, and Coy-- er. Maria? I don't know what she prefers to be called, now, and it's rather uncomfortable. Either way, I was talking with them, and ought to return to them. You're free to join me, of course."

She comes in to catch the end of the pickling discourse.
08-16-2018, 01:51 AM
"Emily!!!" Lux slipped under the table to escape the booth, launching into a hug once she was in range. The robot's skin became abruptly more lifelike--obviously an illusion. As was the metallic dress she was now wearing. "You survived! You made it! Did you bring music? This party's been so dull!"
08-16-2018, 03:19 AM
Raven started off slow, one shot of vodka. Then two. He'd hold off for a while, knowing it'd take some time for the alcohol to do its work with a stomach full of food. He quietly listened to the chaos around him instead.

08-16-2018, 06:22 AM
"There something fun at the bottom of that bottle, mate?" Nick asked, sitting down beside him with a bottle of tequila. "Must be pretty enticing."

He was smirking.

Meanwhile, Emily hugged Lex back.

"Good to see you," she said, her legs buckling a bit as Lex tackled her. "Oof."
08-16-2018, 08:19 AM (This post was last modified: 08-16-2018 08:19 AM by Galloglasses.)
"Oh, Nick, no just decided to get started early is all. A lot to take in after the whole," he waved his hand around for emphasis, "God thing."

08-16-2018, 11:07 AM
"Sure," Max replied to Isidora. He waved to Lex as she tackled Emily.

"Hey, how's it been?"

The one, the only, Vancho!
08-16-2018, 11:46 AM
"Fair enough," he said, taking a swig of tequila. "Not blamin' you, mate. Just socialize a bit, eh? Otherwise you might as well be sitting in some dark truck stop bathroom drinking a forty and crying into the toilet."

He gave Desmond a pat on the back.
08-16-2018, 11:48 AM
That was strangely specific, but Desmond didn't question the matter.

He pushed off from the table and headed into the game room, he found a zombie shooter game and went to go blow some Z heads.

"Heh, all this trouble." he said as he shot Zombies, "Never once fought an actual zombie."

08-16-2018, 01:22 PM (This post was last modified: 08-16-2018 01:22 PM by Corn.)
The final wheat mush went into Maria’s mouth, at the end of this schooling. “Thatsh-“ Don’t talk with your mouth full Maria. “That’s really cool? I’m gonna have to try that if I ever get to stay in a spot that long. That sounds like the shit. And like-“

Lex crawled away, and Maria took the opportunity to swirl a bunch of water around the muddied seat to lift up the dirt, and wipe it up with some napkins. The waitstaff did not deserve to deal with the mud patch in Lux’s wake.

But wait- where was she- “Max! Emily!”

An Emily to her right. A Vigil to her left. No more waffles so no more reason to be here. Party was moving to the game room, it seemed. “If you two will excuse me, I’ve got friends to greet, and then I’ve got to find challengers for a great dance battle, be there or square I guess!” Some terrible jockish shoulder smacks, and Maria ALSO crawled under the table to escape. Give her good old pal a good old hello hug. The one that wasn’t already being tackled, that is. So Max.
08-16-2018, 01:28 PM
Man, you leave the shooter for a minute to watch some child paladin do some DDR, and some furry comes and grabs player 1. Casey grabbed the 2nd gun and moved in to join in Desmond in mercying some Zeds. Gave him a nod, and started blasting. "You've fought vampires right? They're sorta like Zees."

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
08-16-2018, 01:33 PM (This post was last modified: 08-16-2018 01:34 PM by Whimbrel.)
"Emilyyyy I'm soooo bored the drinks're bad, the music's bad, and they've been talking about onions for foreverrr," she whined, dramatically adding in some fake sobs to drive home the depth of this tragedy.
08-16-2018, 01:41 PM
"Zombies are insanely fast, super strong, insidiously Machiavellian, and have strange powers based on heritage?" Desmond asked.

08-16-2018, 01:44 PM
"That is a tragedy."

Emily smiled and opened her mouth, and pop music came out.
08-16-2018, 01:50 PM
"Ahh! Yes! My hero!" Lex cheered, lifting her robot friend up above her head. "Let's fight!" And for once, she actually meant, "Video games!"

Lux dragged Emily back into the games room, and seized any two player game that caught her eye. Maybe something like mortal combat? But more modern? In any event, the ceiling lamp in the games room started doing a rainbow pulse when she walked into the room, while the boredom illusions in the main Lenny's faded.
08-16-2018, 01:51 PM
"GAHHHHHH"

Vigil cut off in his explanation of the precise chemistry and techniques of home jarring and pickling when a person he otherwise wasn't paying close attention to hinged open their jaw and played pop music.

He'd been zeroing in his peripheral vision on the shmuck recording them, after all.
08-16-2018, 01:57 PM
Desmond shot zombies with one hand, took a swig of vodka with the other and tried to ignore the android playing pop music and the manic space princess buzzing around the room looking for a game.

08-16-2018, 01:58 PM (This post was last modified: 08-16-2018 01:59 PM by Cidellus.)
The arcade was now filled with pop music and rainbow lighting, likely aggravating Desmond.

They found some side scroller shooter game involving ridiculous amounts of guns, a race car game, the zombie game that Desmond and Casey were playing, a claw game filled with stuffed animals, some crappy golf game, and a pinball machine.

In the main room, the guy was still recording everything. And looked tempted to sneak back to the arcade...
08-16-2018, 02:06 PM
Max was very surprised to see Maria.

"Maria!? You're alive? You're okay?"

He returned Maria's hug with a warm smile on his face. Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed Emily and Lex going off to play games so he waved to them as they left.

08-16-2018, 02:11 PM
"Undead, spread through bites, evil monsters, if zombies were intelligent they'd be close to vamps. In media they get weird powers, and tend to be stronger and faster." He also winced at the sudden light show.

08-16-2018, 02:13 PM
Lex didn't have any quarters! She didn't carry any money with her into combat!

She looked around...the only free game was the one those other gods were playing. Pool!

Lux plopped Emily in front of the crane game. "Ok...which animal do you want! Saving the world prize!"
08-16-2018, 02:19 PM
She pointed to a stuffed hippopotamus inside the machine.

"See if you can win that one."
08-16-2018, 02:41 PM
“Surprise!” Maria picked him up in the hug and set him down, “Weird end of the world encounter. You look good though, you been ok?”
08-16-2018, 02:43 PM
Conspiratorially, Lex manifested a hard-light quarter. She put a finger to her lips and grinned, then put an illusion on it. Normal quarter!

The very normal quarter went into the machine! The hippopotamus was as good as got! Bwahaha!
08-16-2018, 02:43 PM
"Fought an army of angels, almost got stabbed through the chest with a spear, talked to God. You know, the usual."

Max waved a hand.

"Thankfully I was home so I could shower, otherwise I'd be stinking up the place."

08-16-2018, 02:47 PM
The claw went down and grabbed ahold of the hippopotamus, then got stuck and the machine made a sad whine as it died completely.

Ouch.

In the other room, Adrasteia waved to Max.

"Hey Max," she said. "Glad to see you out of jail."
08-16-2018, 02:48 PM
Max waved back.

"Hey Adrasteia, nice to see you alive!"

08-16-2018, 02:51 PM
"Ok. Ok. To be fair. This counts as a win. Hold on..."

She furrowed her brow in concentration as she tried to shove a tendril of her shroud through the prize slot, up through to the hippo. She was going to fucking get that hippo.
08-16-2018, 02:56 PM
She could've just stuck her shroud through the glass since light could go through it, but hey. This worked too.

Her tendril wrapped around the hippo. Easy win!

"Hopefully it stays that way," Adrasteia said.