Masks: Tales of Heroism and Villainy
02-16-2017, 05:29 PM
RE: Masks: Tales of Heroism and Villainy
Maria nodded. "Fair, my bad." She looked up at Akira as she came in, and straightened up, since folks were coming back in pretty quickly. Helmet: on.
02-16-2017, 05:36 PM
Gabriel headed in with Akira and Vigil, holding his helmet under one arm.

As everyone prepared for the briefing, he found a seat at the table.
02-16-2017, 05:41 PM
Penrose returned to silence as Bevill went and stood up in front of the assembled group.

"Right, glad to see you all made it," he said, smiling. "Things are grim, but we can NEVER give up the fight!"

He clapped his hands together.

"That said, KNIGHT has, in its possession, two devices that have potential to end this fight," he said. "One is a heavily-modified stealth dropship. It should be capable of carrying you all up to the alien mothership, and getting you into one of the hangars. At that point, your objective is to deploy the second device."

He smiled.

"A mass teleportation descrambler," he said. "A large electronic device that should disable the anti-teleportation field on part of the alien mothership, provided you can get it to one of the mothership's security control rooms. Once that is done, we'll teleport every combat-ready KNIGHT agent and asset available, with bombs capable of destroying the eight massive mega-reactors that power the ship. Once you've deactivated the field, you'll meet up with the KNIGHT force for your section of the ship, and work with them to deploy the bomb at your objective. Provided at least half the teams succeed, the alien mothership should be destroyed in its entirety, drastically increasing the odds of humanity's survival."

He looked to them all.

"Any questions?"
02-16-2017, 05:45 PM
"YEAH, WHAT'S OUR ESCAPE ROUTE."

Vigil raises probably the most important question.
02-16-2017, 05:45 PM
Lux started talking, then remembered to click her comms over to talk to the room. "Do we, um, have any idea of where the control rooms might be? Or like, general layout..."
02-16-2017, 05:48 PM
He looked to Vigil.

"Teleportation out isn't really an option. Takes eons to set those things up, and they might reactivate their teleportation scramblers before you set the bomb. So you'll be escaping on escape pods, an alien dropship, or your stealth ship. Any one will work."

He then looked to Lex.

"Unfortunately, KNIGHT has never been allowed in an alien mothership, so we don't know the exact layout. We just know what we've gleaned from seized Hive databases."
02-16-2017, 05:51 PM
Lux started clicking through the language pdf for words like "Security" "Control" and "Room". Gotta be able to recognize the signs!
02-16-2017, 06:19 PM
Sharie listened quietly to the description of the plan, timidly raising her hand once some of the other questions were asked.

"S... sections? Are we going to... split up?"
02-16-2017, 06:23 PM
"No. You'll all be assigned to the same section. Other sections will be handled by other teams of KNIGHT agents, or heroes."
02-16-2017, 06:51 PM (This post was last modified: 02-16-2017 06:51 PM by Galloglasses.)
"Anything in particular we should look out for?" Raven asked, "Our main thrust on the Battleship did not run into any psychic troops, thankfully, except perhaps for Vigil, but I imagine there will be any more on the mothership, any advanced tech we need to know about that they'll only keep on their motherships that might cause a problem?"

02-16-2017, 06:53 PM
Maria had no questions other than ones already asked. She just needed the answers to those, and some stuff, and she was ready to go. "If I can get some different armor I'd like that," She tapped her chest piece beside the freaking hole in it, "And maybe some plasma device that I'll actually be able to do anything to alien armor with. Otherwise I'm ready."

Honestly, she felt a bit better about this, knowing it wasn't only them going up there. Time to fuck shit up.

And then cry. A lot. Probably.
02-16-2017, 06:55 PM
"...can I get some new bandages?" Sharie asked.
02-16-2017, 07:31 PM
Vigil produces his roll of duct tape.
02-16-2017, 07:32 PM
He looked to Desmond.

"Expect the full brunt of their military. Psychic soldiers and all," he said. "We can give you helmets to shield yourselves from the psionic impact of their abilities, but you'll still be victimized by their physical attacks. Such as telekinesis. The helmets also aren't very durable, so only put them on when you know psychics are in the area. It's most of the reason we didn't give them to you in DC. By the time you'd reached the battleship, the helmets would've been obliterated."

He looked to Maria.

"Of course! You'll all receive new gear. At the moment, our tunnelers are digging down to the old KNIGHT HQ to salvage what we can."

And then he looked to Sharie.

"Definitely! We'll get those right after the briefing."
02-16-2017, 07:33 PM
"Okay, thanks." Sharie nodded gratefully, and then glanced over at Vigil.

"N... no..."
02-16-2017, 07:35 PM
Vigil shrugs, then turns to Bevill.

"ANY WAY I CAN REPURPOSE SOME OF THAT MATERIAL TO MAKE A PSYCHIC RESISTANT ARROW? DON'T WANT TELEKINESIS BULLSHIT MAKING SHOTS ON THEM USELESS."
02-16-2017, 07:36 PM
"No? It's merely resistant to their telepathy, not their telekinesis. And it's very flimsy."
02-16-2017, 08:12 PM
"DAMN... WAIT, IS IT MADE OUT OF TINFOIL?"
02-17-2017, 10:31 AM
Gabriel didn't have much to ask that hadn't already been brought up. He just wanted to know how long until the dropship was ready to go.
02-17-2017, 10:37 AM
Lex shot Penrose a questioning glance, as he might know if there was anything important she ought to ask, presumably having been to space himself, and all. Unfortunately, glances are difficult to communicate through a helmet, so she had to come up with a question on her own.

"Is there anything we should, um, avoid destroying? Until we're ready to go?" Lex was considering taking the "Vaporize everything in your path" approach to space ship traversal.
02-17-2017, 10:50 AM
"Presumably the megareactors, which I'm hoping are obvious enough that we don't do it by accident. Also, the outer hull? Is the mothership high enough up that we need to worry about that?"
02-17-2017, 11:43 AM
He looked to Vigil.

"No."

Then Lex.

"If you see something you should avoid destroying, you'll almost certainly know it when you see it," he said. "These ships are quite durable, afterall."

Then Simon.

"The ship will be in orbit around the planet, so if your suits get compromised, try not to breach the hull. Mind, the hull is twenty feet thick in most places, and is made of the most durable armor plating in the galaxy, so blowing a hole in it would be pretty difficult. Still, just be aware of the dangers."

He looked to everybody.

"Anything else? Or can we move on to re-equipping you all?"
02-17-2017, 12:41 PM
Gabriel looked around at the group. "I think we are ready to get on with this," he said, nodding to Bevill. "Let's go."
02-17-2017, 12:48 PM
Bevill nodded, and led them from the meeting room!

Walking through the hallways of the Pentagon, he eventually took them into a rather secure storage room, where KNIGHT had set up a temporary armory. They had plasma weapons, magnetic weapons, laser weapons, grenades, arrows (broadheads, laser arrows, shock arrows, and plasma explosive arrows), light suits of power armor, medium suits of power armor, and heavy suits of power armor. They also had energy shields, and energy melee weaponry.

Seemed like a pretty good little set-up.

"Equip yourselves well, for soon, we go into battle," Bevill said with his characteristic enthusiasm.
02-17-2017, 12:52 PM
Gabriel immediately grabbed a heavy plasma pistol, since he'd realized he'd been struggling to use his plasma rifle at the same time as his shield. He also grabbed some grenades. Honestly, it was a pretty generic setup.

That in mind, he takes a look at what everyone else is equipped with. He found the number of archers somewhat surprising.
02-17-2017, 02:24 PM
Lux grabbed Penrose off the table, and took off her helmet so they could have a private chat, revealing...a face obscured by a mask composed of light, brightened to such a degree that it rendered her face even less visible than in her ViewCube videos.

"So. From now on. It's ok for you to say stuff if you want. Um. You don't have to wait to be talked to or, whatever." She felt extremely awkward about having to say this, since she hadn't known about the order Penrose had been operating under. Was that a normal servant thing? Lex was not used to having servants. She thought he'd just not had much to say. "And if someone knows enough to like, address you directly, you don't have to wait for me to introduce you to make conversation, ok?"

"Last chance to stay on earth for this mission," she added, somewhat teasingly, as they entered the makeshift armory. Lux thought she knew what the answer to that would be, so the first thing she looked for was an object to house Penrose in that looked like it might not get vaporized instantly if it got hit by a plasma blast.
02-17-2017, 03:04 PM
Sharie claimed a new helmet for her armor (she left the other one in the meeting room, but it was gross and covered in sap on the inside and she didn't want to put it back on), as well as a plasma pistol and tentatively grabbed an energy shield. With that, she wouldn't need the others to cover so much for her, right?

"Um..." She approached Bevill again after claiming her stuff, scuffing absentmindedly at the floor with her foot. "You said I could uh... get more bandages?"
02-17-2017, 03:14 PM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2017 03:16 PM by Kocel.)
Vigil restocks on his arrows and adds plasma explosive arrows to the mix. He waves Maria over, and hands her a quiver with six arrows.

"GRAPPLING HOOK AND ZIPLINE ARROWS. WE DON'T KNOW WHAT TYPE OF LAYOUT THIS SHIP HAS, THEY COULD COME IN HANDY. I'M GIVING YOU THREE OF EACH FROM MY OWN STOCK. DON'T WASTE THEM."

He returns to his preparations, grabbing a light energy shield, just in case, and a couple ENERGY KNIVES. If those were a thing. If they weren't, any light melee weapon that could pierce power armor. He also refreshes his grenades, and looks for some PLASMA GRENADES to add to the mix. If his vest can't fit all of this, he sees if they have any equipment he can wear over his light power armor to do so.
02-17-2017, 03:17 PM
Something occurred to Gabriel, and he looked to see if there was a cutting torch or plasma breaching charges or something, for getting through heavy alien doors and/or walls.
02-17-2017, 03:24 PM
Oh good, new gear. Time for new heavy armour. He grabbed the heaviest energy weapon he could get his hands on, and the biggest shield too. Then some new sub machine guns, assault rifle, marksman and shotgun too. He'd have to talk to Maria again about this.

Oh, and grenades. Plenty of grenades.

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
02-17-2017, 03:35 PM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2017 04:47 PM by Anomaly.)
Elena put on a suit of HEAVY POWER ARMOR. Hell yeah.

She then walked up to Max.

"Hey, uh, I took this off one of the alien tanks." She held up the giant gun she'd been lugging around. "You think you can add a firing mechanism I can use?"
02-17-2017, 03:39 PM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2017 03:39 PM by Vancho1.)
Max listens impassively to the briefing. He still has his power armor, so all he gets is an energy shield, some grenades, some ammo for his alien plasma gun, some ammo for Sig's cannon, and, upon consideration, a small mag pistol to keep on his body, inside the armor. Just in case.

He then quietly starts tuning the parameters on the guns, making sure he gets the most damage for the least amount of energy out of the cells. He's sure that KNIGHT hasn't individually tuned the focus and such on every single gun, so he might as well do it on his.

Noticing Elena, he looks at the gun.

"Sure, I'll take a look. No promises."

The one, the only, Vancho!
02-17-2017, 03:57 PM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2017 04:51 PM by Whimbrel.)
Once she had something squared away for Penrose, Lux started considering what she needed for herself.

She had a range weapon, but the guns had the advantage of actually having sights. So she took a sidearm, a laser pistol. Just in case.

Did they have any invisibility cloaks? That stuff was the shit.

What about grappling hooks?

Next, she checked out the energy shields. More cover is always good. Plus, she could fire her Scepter one-handed--ah, but...

Lux manifested a giant, impossibly dark greatsword, and carefully attempted to wield it one-handed. It wasn't...heavy... but... nah. She could tell, this was going to be too awkward to use with the shield. The sword vanished.

She was about to discard the shield entirely, when it occurred to her that she did, in fact, have additional limbs. They couldn't really interact with non-light objects DIRECTLY, but...

Lux experimented with tying manifested napkins or lengths of rope around the energy shield's handle, and then attempting to grip THAT with a portion of her shroud. Was that viable?

If someone can modify it for her, Lux would upgrade to medium armor. And get the rest of a polymer armor suit, if possible--she only had the vest right now.
02-17-2017, 04:58 PM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2017 05:00 PM by Cidellus.)
"As you wish, Your Highness," Penrose said. "And my place is at your side."

Lex found a nice little cannister that she could put Penrose in. It would fit inside one of her armor's compartments rather easily. Lex then got KNIGHT to modify a suit of medium armor for her (adding a transparent backplate!). They didn't have any spare stealth cloaks. The grapple hooks they had couldn't sustain medium armor's weight either. She COULD get an energy shield! AND she got a full suit of polymer armor to wear under the power armor. Finally, she found that she could indeed use her shroud to grab physical objects if she wrapped the physical objects in hard light. Badass!

Bevill handed Sharie a roll of new bandages. "Here you are!"

Laser knives were, indeed, a thing! His vest could hold a fair amount. Hopefully it'd be enough.

There were breaching charges, as well as a plasma torch for Gabriel. Though Max already had a plasma torch in his giant toolbox. He could hack through doors via both rewiring AND literally hacking through it!

Casey grabbed all the things!

Elena put on heavy power armor! It was lumbering and impressive.

Max, finally, found that he could indeed modify the tank gun into a sort of giant, heavy plasma cannon! It was pretty neat.
02-17-2017, 05:08 PM
"Thanks..." Sharie replied, cradling the bandages in her hand for a second before turning away. "I... I'll be right back."

After that, she quickly scurried out of the room, heading to the nearest bathroom. She then had to take off all of her armor, leaving it littered around the bathroom floor (she'd clean it up in a bit). Then, she had to peel back her sleeves and pant legs and then she had to pull off her nasty bandages and... god she was really making a mess in here wasn't she? Sharie grimaced as she dumped the old bandages into the trash can. She was really sorry for the poor person that had to take that out.
02-17-2017, 07:11 PM
It'd been a while since Vigil had to practice slitting throats. He takes one of the laser knives and heads over to some dummies to practice his CQC with it.
02-17-2017, 07:21 PM
Well, if Casey actually did come to talk to Maria, she'd remind him that they had no idea if there would be a big enough contained water source for her to disappear to (as they had when they were fighting on the ground), or if they'd even have a minute to spare to grab whatever he'd want her to store. She was only going to be putting her personal stuff in Tlalocan this time, nothing she expected to retrieve during battle.

When Vigil came up to her she was sort of surprised? She still wasn't at 'drop the stupid voice' level, but 'I WILL TRUST YOU WITH SOME OF MY COOL ARROWS' certainly was something. Honestly, she figured he would think they were better off in his hands anyway. I mean, did he SEE her shooting? ... No. No he hadn't, that was probably why. Well, she wasn't complaining. Thank goodness she had her stupid helmet on for once in her life, otherwise he might know she was surprised. "Thanks. I'll be careful with them." With that, it was time to get her stuff together.

On her person:
A set of undamaged light power armor
Her bow, and a quiver with 3 grappling hook arrows, 3 zipline arrows, 6 laser arrows, 6 plasma explosive arrows, and 2 shock arrows
An energy sword, on her left hip
An energy shield, hooked onto her belt
Her grapple gun, also hooked onto her belt
Four energy knives (why the hell not), on the belt
A plasma pistol, strapped onto her thigh

... When Maria was prepared for things, she was ridiculously, ridiculously prepared. All of the KNIGHT equipment she stopped using she put back in the armory, and she put her own sword, knives, arrows, and guns in her bag. She went out to the Potomac to go drop them off in Tlalocan.

When she came back, she went up to Bevill. "... Before we go. How the hell did you get out of there? Are you..." She squinted at him a little. She thought about how fucked up his suit looked, how well he himself seemed when he came back in. "I don't know how you'd categorize all the weird stuff in one nice brief no-stigma phrase, so excuse me, but what are you?"
02-17-2017, 07:49 PM
Bevill looked over to Maria as she asked her question.

And smiled.

"Some mysteries are best left as mysteries, my dear! Let's both focus on the mission ahead."
02-17-2017, 08:46 PM
Maria smirked below the squint, vaguely amused. The shit. Somewhere, a creature from another universe was REALLY PISSED ABOUT THAT ANSWER, CID, but it was inconsequential. Maria would take that with a slight chuckle, and then go and practice before The Big Fight.
02-18-2017, 05:40 AM
Lux grabbed a basic broadhead arrow. Tendrils of light erupted from the gem of a somewhat ghostly ring, worn over the armor of her right hand. They wrapped about the arrow at several points, and then appeared to give physics a bit of a hissy fit. Without bending, splintering, or tearing, the object seemed to fold in on itself and wrap about the light, which was pulled into the ring.

And it was gone.

She turned around and performed the same process with a basic grappling hook head attached to a length of rope, before going to test what firing a laser pistol felt like, compared to a more normal sort of pistol.
02-18-2017, 06:08 AM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2017 06:18 AM by Galloglasses.)
The Raven had slunk out of his damaged light xenotech power armour and slipped into a medium set, he kind of wanted the heavy set, but figured he'd need the mobility, leave the heavier sets to the heavy hitters. Got more ammunition for his plasma rifle as well as sticking another plasma rifle onto his back as well as a plasma pistol and more ammo for it all, given the medium suit had more carrying capacity. He also transferred all his potion making ingredients, granted he only brought healing and anti-venom and only healing was useful so far but who knows? Maybe he'd get poisoned or something up there.

Also grenades, grenades would be good, though when he reached for the first one he stopped and very visibly flinched, hesitating for a moment before going ahead and collecting as many as he could carry. He also took an anti-psychic helmet, made distinctive marks along its sides and back in red permanent marker while slapping a huge, fucking R on the visor (after making sure he'd still be able to see through it first).

He'd then take a heavy blanket through it over his head and quickly swap the mask for the helmet.

02-18-2017, 07:36 AM
Whoa, suits! Cool new things!

Though...Valence seems a little wary as she eyes them. Her hair is a messy mane of curls atop her head, one she seems incapable of not touching as she paces.
"Is...could I still fly in these suits? Is the material made out of something that could actually...I don't know...let my energy escape without busting holes in the feet?" Her eyes dart in Bevill's direction momentarily before she lays gentle fingertips on a suit of light armour, frowning hard. As if frowning would give her the answers to her questions, and tell her what gear she should go with.

This is hard. She's not used to state-of-the-art stuff like this. Hell, she wasn't even used to the neat stuff she had back at HOME yet!
"Or...or the gloves..." Seems she's stream of consciousness talking as she continues to prod at the suit, her brow knit behind her mask. "Will they let me use my powers? I'm not-- I can't do much without my powers." Fuck, she was NO ONE without her powers. She had literally 0 other useful abilities. Maybe a little martial arts training, and the whole empathy, emotion-reading thing, but that wouldn't work through the helmet, would it?
"Would...would our team wearing the helmets block them from my powers, too?" How the FUCK was she going to charge?
02-18-2017, 08:00 AM
"We can modify a suit for you to have retractable soles and palms," Bevill told Layla. "That way, your suit is capable of pressurization, while also allowing you to project energy if need be. While your suit is pressurized, though, you'll be incapable of using your energy projection powers. And I'm not honestly sure if the helmet would block your emotion-absorption powers. We've never tested that."
02-18-2017, 08:23 AM
Valence's response is a slightly disgruntled hum.
"Suppose we'll find out, then." Not quite the answer she wanted, but at least something to experiment with! "How long will it take to modify a suit?"
02-18-2017, 08:41 AM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2017 08:42 AM by Palamedes.)
Simon begins kitting himself up. Shame about the lack of camp cloaks. Suddenly he has a thought. "How do the psi suppressing helmets work? Some sort of chemical? And what are the limits of the psychics' powers? In terms of multitasking, armour strength, and mental endurance, if we know it."
02-18-2017, 09:55 AM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2017 09:59 AM by MQuinny1234.)
Casey was saddened when Maria pointed out how she probably wouldn't have time to drown.

Plus, he'd have to be with her and there were 8 teams so that was unlikely.

Casey sighed and tried to figure out what to leave behind. Then, he looked at Maria.

"Um. Sorry, how does your storage thing work exactly?"

He turned to Beevil also. "And why can't we just teleport a big bomb or something in? Like a nuke?"

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
02-18-2017, 10:16 AM
"Uhh... well, my dad lives in a pocket dimension, which I can access via drowning, if there's deep enough water. I have a room there so I can throw some stuff in there if it's useful to do so. If you're looking for like, a deep technical answer," Maria shrugged. "Magic. I dunno."
02-18-2017, 10:38 AM
"Was just wondering what the limit was for storing stuff in there. Like, could we store something really heavy-duty in there, and take it out in the ship. I don't know if we're already using our most powerful explosives for the 8 sections, or if the current plan assumes we don't have a bag of holding with us that could hold a great, big nuke or something."

02-18-2017, 10:51 AM
Maria frowned, a bit, under her helmet. "There's... a few things about that I don't see working out. The first being storing nukes in my dad's place. Not a 'bag of holding', my dad's place. The second being, we talked about this, my potential inability to access it up there anyway. The third being, could I even physically lift one of those, a fourth being if we even have one of those, the list goes on."
02-18-2017, 11:03 AM
Casey wilted slightly. "Ah, well, just throwing out some ideas." He shrugged. "Didn't know you had to physically carry it."