Masks: Tales of Heroism and Villainy
02-18-2018, 01:13 PM
RE: Masks: Tales of Heroism and Villainy
"Um. Well, firstly we don't know if there are any humans down there, and secondly, I think they'll recognise us unless we drastically alter our faces from any pictures of us ever, and thirdly, we'd probably need to look like a false identity of someone plausible in the base, and fourthly, I don't see what we're going to do once they've stripped us down and chucked us into the area with the rest of the hypothetical humans, assuming they haven't shot us immediately."

"How about...I just, eventually and slowly beat my way through the underground bit with my gravity hammer or something, someone else maybe has a faster way, work together, I dunno, and then we wait for the flood and then try to strike from the underneath and therefore waterproof area? So at that point, they'll have the crushing water from beneath and us from below?"

"

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
02-18-2018, 01:24 PM
Max looked at Valence.

"That doesn't answer my question. What are you doing? What other stuff? I'm not going to attack the robot base without half the team, so you'd better start explaining."

The one, the only, Vancho!
02-19-2018, 07:17 AM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2018 07:29 AM by Cidellus.)
As Team Assault continued to bicker, a small drone buzzed above the desert, scanning for hostile activity.

"Drone!" Lone Star yelled as it spotted them, shooting it out of the sky with his revolver.

It seemed that they'd DALLIED too long.

Meanwhile Marcus, Casey, and Devana sat outside the ship debating a course of action.

"I could try posing as a lost human child?" asked Devana. "I think I'd be pretty good at that."

She saw the drone get shot down.

"...yeah, nevermind," Devana sighed.
02-19-2018, 07:33 AM
Max peeked outside and saw the drone get shot down.

"Shit! They'll be on us soon!" he shouted, and then he ran out. He grabbed his proximity mines and said, "We gotta act fast, run or fight?"

02-19-2018, 07:44 AM
"There goes the suprise then. Okay, let's get the fuck out of here before a spiderbot comes and kills us. I'm gonna start making a hole guys, we should get out of this region at least. Discuss shit later before they dump a missile on us or something." Casey yelled out, making up a hole again. He could retreat the same route he'd taken. "The transport should definitely get out of here before they get shot down, not that we'll need them til after all this anyway."

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
02-19-2018, 11:16 AM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2018 11:17 AM by Cidellus.)
"We aren't going to accomplish anything waiting here," Bald Eagle said, climbing into the hole Casey made. "Valence, Nine, you go with Hung and try to rescue as many people as you can find. That transport goes fast, so there should be time. The rest of you come with us. We'll fight from underground as best we can. The robots don't seem to have anything that digs as well as Kane does, so we might have a chance."

With that, various heroes climbed into the hole with Casey and Bald Eagle. The ones that stayed were Devana (who was waiting for Vigil to make a decision on what to do), AI Emily (who was similarly waiting to see what Max would do), and Agent Hung (who was going to pilot the dropship).
02-19-2018, 12:22 PM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2018 12:41 PM by Vancho1.)
Max nodded at Bald Eagle's statement and put down one of his mines on the ground under the dropship, and a second right outside the hole.

"Once we're all inside, I'll activate these mines. It'll be a nasty surprise for whatever robot comes to investigate."

He went into the hole after he was done.

02-20-2018, 02:16 AM
"Make sure to save some of those man, I don't know what kind of mad science mine you've made, but they could be useful for busting through the robot's underground defensive wall." Casey requested to Max, he wasn't sure how hard it'd be to get through, but above ground was death so not many other options. "I fear getting through quickly may be importqnt, since there's a very REAL chance they'll have some digging tools and robots or something, since they constructed a lot of the base underground in the first place."

02-20-2018, 05:46 AM
"I've got four more. I don't know how much they'll help with getting through walls, it's just plastic explosive."

02-20-2018, 07:00 AM
Isidora is still ready to go on the transport!
02-20-2018, 07:39 AM
The transport took off with Isidora, Nine, and Valence!

Woo!

The other heroes (including Vigil) went down into the hole with Bald Eagle and Casey.

"Right, so, two choices. We either fight a guerrilla battle against them, popping up where we can, or we stay down here and wait til the flood arrives. I'm favoring the former," said Bald Eagle. "Might even be able to form a distraction large enough for Max to hack the main gate."
02-20-2018, 08:11 AM
"With respect, that is suicide sir. For us to get close enough to be viewed as a potential distraction, is to get close enough to get blown up by up to 10 spiderbots. I've no idea how any of us, let alone Max could get to those bunker doors. At best, we'd need 3 or 4 suicidal distraction squads to draw some of the forces away so that the compound clears out a little to make a stealth pass easier, but there's no possible distraction force we could muster that what get more than, say, 2 spider bots to walk over to murder us."

"Probably. I mean..." He looked about the group. "Um... Okay, maybe we could, depending on some creative miracle-science from our boy scientist and if Coyote's friend here can flex some of those mighty godly muscles for us?" He said, semi-desperately as a possible plan came together. "Me...and you, Talock? Bald eagle, rookie, um...maybe one or two others to help out. Can you do any weather control or anything, I'm talking rain and thunder and lightning, the works but the heavier the better. Max, if you could whip up as much smoke bombs or whatever as possible from what we got here. I got a hammer thing and stuff you can have. With that kind of cover, I'll try to create as big a continuous tremor as I can in the smokey area, maybe Diamante can push over a few trees to sell it. Lone star, er Vigil's sidekick, sorry I don't know your name, just shoot out some mass firepower to make it seem like there's more of us. Bald eagle and rookie, you two together fly around near the edges of the smoke
/mist cloud and deflect any spider lasers that come blasting into us. And er, everyone else while that is happening, can just try to sneak in to the main bunker?"

02-20-2018, 03:07 PM
"Kane, could you dig holes shallow enough that we could attack from several places at once?"
02-21-2018, 12:03 AM
"If I left you behind, sure, but I can't set up a network of tunnels if that's what you're asking. Not without a lot more time than we've got. Sorry."

02-21-2018, 08:10 AM
"THROW IN AN ESCAPE ROUTE FOR TEAM DISTRACTION AND I'M DOWN."

Vigil shrugged.
02-21-2018, 08:43 AM
"Well, I'll be with that team, so that team, assuming they survive the distraction, will be fine. It's the ACTUAL team that will be in trouble once things go wrong. Especially since my plan draws away quite a few of us again, leaving...not many left, since we lost some people as the jet left..." He scowled, and couldn't help himself from adding "Jackasses."

He shrugged hopelessly. "Maybe our team will be able to catch up, somehow, I dunno. Honestly, I'm pretty envious of the flood team right now, but since we're here, need to do what we can to make it easier for them when they get here."

02-21-2018, 12:04 PM
"WELL, I GOT A BAG OF C4 AND I'M READY TO PARTY."
02-21-2018, 02:29 PM
"I mean, I don't have much choice here? I'll see what I can do about the door once you guys distract the robots. I can make some smoke flares too."

Max made smoke bombs combined with magnesium flares. Instead of just smoke, they'd also spread a cloud of burning-hot magnesium sparks. Kind of like a firework. Very unsafe to stand in the middle of, but it would definitely confuse the IR cameras.

"Hey, if anyone can manipulate water, we could use a big fog cloud. It'll help with obscuring us to the robots' visual cameras."

02-22-2018, 07:35 AM
"I'll be on the actual team. The team without you, Kane," Bald Eagle said. "I'll provide cover while Max gets through the door."

"Guess I'll go with the distraction," Devana said.

"SSSSAME HERE!" Cobra King added.

"Going to cover science boy, I reckon," Lone Star said, twirling a revolver.

"I...am going with the distraction team. Distraction team sounds good," Tlaloc said.

"Gate Team," Emily said.

"I'm good at covering things. Gate Team all the way!" the Rookie said.

"I'll go with the distraction team. I'm better when I'm mobile," Watchwoman said.
02-22-2018, 07:57 AM
Casey... Just rubbed at his eyes. "Uuurrrggh." He wasn't happy at losing the Bald-Eagle and Rookie combo to protect distraction team from the spider-bot blasts. Also, he resented Bald-Eagle's tone somewhat. Prick. Kill one kid... And he'd gotten fucking Cobra King. Least he'd probably die in this process. Damn, if he was going to die, he shouldn't die being a little shit about Cobra King though.

"Okay, I don't know what your team is gonna do when the flood comes in though, you're going to have to hole up somewhere in there or something until the Flood team gets here. We'll have Tlaloc, so we're good. Our team is gonna need the smoke bombs and such to create all the cover to hide that we're just a distraction obviously..." He internally sighed, hating this, and looked at Cobra King. "Considering snakes aren't gonna be super effective against robots, you okay with hurling the smoke bombs about us? Everyone else will be focusing on shooting out as much gunfire and illusions and trickery to make us look like a threat."

"I'll try to transport Actual team closer around the opposite side first, then I'll move distraction team over and once the rain starts coming down we'll begin our shit. Anyone got any problems with this?"

02-24-2018, 04:07 AM
Max handed out the flares he'd made.

"Stay alive," he said to the people on the distraction team. "That's what matters."

He nodded to Casey and said, "I'm ready to go."

02-24-2018, 06:21 AM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2018 06:23 AM by MQuinny1234.)
Well, Casey didn't really care about anyone else's opinion, so once he saw the flares handed out, he nodded and started digging to transport the "actual" team to their best point of sneaking in. Vigil or simon or bald eagle or someone could speak up if they wanted to overrule his choice, but he'd try to dump them at a spot where they could sneak through the factories to get to the bunker.

"Good luck. Let's cause as much trouble for this upjumped calculator as possible." He said, semi-weakly. Hopefully the intent got across.

Then he'd go back for everyone else and then go to the opposite aide of the compound. Once Tlaloc had got the rain and storms going, then it'd be time for the smoke flares and earth tremors and whatever everyone else was doing to draw attention. Maybe let Devena and Watch woman attack from their own spots in the compound to try and emulate fake strike invasion points. Cause some chaos to make the AI have to send forces to defend against more possible fronts. So that the robot forces would think that other possible strike teams were penetrating the compound ahead of the "distraction assault army attack" force, and not notice the actual "actual" team coming in from behind.

02-24-2018, 03:43 PM
"YEAH, TEAM GATE IF IT WASN'T OBVIOUS."

He looks to Devana.

"BE SAFE. DON'T TAKE ANY WILD RISKS."
02-26-2018, 10:47 AM (This post was last modified: 02-27-2018 02:46 AM by Cidellus.)
"Thanks. Same to you," Devana said to Vigil, though she pointedly didn't actually AGREE to not take wild risks.

Auto-assigning Simon since Pala never responded.

DISTRACTION TEAM:
-Casey
-Simon
-Devana
-Cobra King
-Tlaloc
-Watchwoman

Gate Team:
-Vigil
-Max
-AI Emily
-Lone Star
-The Rookie
-Bald Eagle

Casey dug his way under the earth, eventually managing to surface into a storage closet located within one of the factory buildings. It was pretty close to the gate, so it'd probably work. He quickly dropped them off, continuing on his way.

At that point, the Gate Team peeked outside the storage closet. There were a lot of big automated machines working away inside the factory, and there were also a lot of cameras and drones buzzing around. It'd probably be pretty hard to sneak through, but it didn't look like there'd be much hard resistance within the factory.

Casey continued digging, ending up on the other side of the compound. It was a big outdoor storage area filled with raw resources. Probably good for distraction efforts.

Tlaloc began creating a localized rainstorm, and Watchwoman threw a number of smoke grenades around, obscuring their presence. Devana crept off, likely going to find a good vantage point.

And then, suddenly, the ground began to shake. Texas would soon be flooding.
02-27-2018, 04:23 AM
Casey just concentrating on trying to make the ground shake himself, to the point that he didn't notice when the ground was shaking by itself, just assuming it was him taping into something. He focused on trying to shift as much earth mass as possible, reaching out to the surrounding ground. He'd never actually tried to make earth tremors like this, but still, everyone else was doing their thing. If he could, he'd attempt to be shifting and disrupting the ground up to the compound, make sure it could be felt..

02-27-2018, 08:32 AM (This post was last modified: 02-27-2018 08:43 AM by Vancho1.)
Max examined the camera positions for a moment. Were there any blind spots or gaps in the patrol that he could spot? He also looked around the storage closet for anything he could use to maybe hack one of the drones.

02-27-2018, 04:10 PM
"if I start picking off drones, they'll probably notice and set off an alarm," Vigil's voice was soft, barely perceptible, and fairly hoarse, "also, if we created a secondary distraction- these are machines, the inner ones will stick to their patrols."

He had been coating himself in any mud they encountered while tunneling to the closet, he gave the closet a quick search.

"instead, I'm going to look for something they wouldn't take much interest in to hide under in case I screw up their patrol patterns. A box, or something. If I keep my body heat masked with the mud, then they'll probably assume a cargo bot had a programming bug and ditched something in the wrong place."
02-28-2018, 04:02 AM
Max raised his eyebrows at Vigil's mud thing and said,

"You realize the AI isn't dumb right? It'll see a box moving around and investigate, I'm pretty sure all their bots are networked so there's zero chance that would work."

He had an idea, though, and looked around the closet for any deactivated robots or something that he could use. In the worst case scenario, he'd take a sturdy metal pole for smashing things.

02-28-2018, 04:49 AM
Sorry, thought I had responded >.<

"If this flood is starting soon, we should be ready to get back to the door team, and not split up. I don't think most of us are equipped to deal with suddenly being underwater."

Simon finds a few vantage points that he'll be able to move back and forth between.
02-28-2018, 05:02 AM
".. maybe I could dress up like a robot..."
02-28-2018, 07:16 AM
Casey created an earthquake, creating fissures and cracks as he worked! Perhaps that was just the terraforming machine working deep beneath the earth, but who cared. An earthquake was being made, and it was certainly disrupting the robot activities throughout their base!

Simon found his vantage points! One was on top of a fuel storage container, one was behind a large pile of scrap metal, and one was under a tankbot chassis.They'd work for now, though who knew if they'd stay viable if the situation changed.

Speaking of that, a whole lot of robots were starting to close in on their position.

"Incoming!" yelled Devana from the top of a nearby roof.

Max examined the cameras, looking for blindspots. He found none. They were all optimally positioned for complete coverage. This included covering each other. The storage closet had a lot of raw materials, though no workbench or facilities. He'd have to rely on his own tools.

There were no robots in the storage room. There was a sturdy metal pole, though.

AI Emily was standing straight in the corner. She was likely trying to hack as much as she could remotely.
02-28-2018, 08:43 AM
"... I could just run for it like the Streak..."

Vigil kept considering his options. Then...

"Wait. What if I could... Emily, are there any venting ducts to keep the machines below from overheating? Any ceiling cavities?"
02-28-2018, 04:14 PM
Max looked around for wire and batteries. He'd make small step-up by coiling wire around metal yokes, and then attaching them to the batteries.

"Here, if you can get one of these to touch the camera's circuit the high static voltage should burn it out," he said as he offered one to Vigil. Max then turned to Emily.

"Can you get us a window on that door? Some of the other guys can maybe cause a commotion to draw away any defenses around here."

Max pointed to Lone Star, the Rookie, and Bald Eagle.

"You three need to cover us while we're breaking into the door. Draw fire if they come for us. All right?"

02-28-2018, 04:56 PM
Simon frowns but gets onto the container for now and gets ready to open fire on the first of the robots with his rifle. "Kane be ready to get us out of here, we don't have a lot of options for cover or not drowning."
03-01-2018, 02:18 AM
"That's gonna be more on Tlaloc than me unless we strike an oxygen vein underground." Casey answered, looking about the oncoming trouble through the smoke. Well, they'd gotten attention so now they needed to buy as much time, which pleasantly equated to surviving as long as possible, so keep the robots away. "I'm gonna try to cause some terrain issues for them, see if any building can be shaken down or something. Anything explosive-looking around the place?" He asked, as he stopped spreading out (what he thought) was him shaking the ground all over the place, in favour of moving up a bit closer and focusing on a more concentrated ground spot in the base.

03-01-2018, 06:05 AM
"Max, who are you pointing at"

Vigil stares at the empty space where Volts had been speaking to, as distraction team was already outside distracting.
03-01-2018, 07:18 AM
"This building has extensive ventilation systems based on my sonar scans of the area," Emily said. "I'm unsure of what you mean by window, though. I can certainly attempt to get the door open once we are there. There doesn't appear to be any wireless access."

The Rookie then looked as Vigil spoke.

"Uh, I think he's talking to us?" the Rookie asked.

The Rookie, Bald Eagle, and Lone Star were part of the Gate Team. Their purpose was to hold off enemies while Max and Emily got them through the gate. Since there'd still be soldiers near the gate, of course, even if the distraction team got most of them away.

"Worry not about the water! I shall cover us!" Tlaloc yelled as the rain around them began to pour, obscuring them visibly and thermally. It would open in small windows, allowing them to shoot through.

This, of course, did not affect Devana, who began raining archer fire down on the robots as she ran and jumped from rooftop to resource pile to rooftop. Cobra King was throwing cobras through the gaps while Watchwoman remained on standby, ready to fight in melee if she needed to. The earthquakes and terrain shifts were slowing down the robots, but it was only a matter of time before they rushed them.
03-01-2018, 07:20 AM
"Whoops, mud in my eye. Yeah, anyway, get me in those vents."
03-01-2018, 02:58 PM
"Sorry, been watching too many spy movies. By window I meant can you disable their nearby defenses for a short period of time so we can work on the door without worrying about an immediate response?"

03-01-2018, 03:34 PM
"You know... If I was less equipped, maybe they'd de-prioritize me as a threat and ignore me entirely..."

Vigil seemed to, in absence of an actual plan, be considering something stupid.
03-02-2018, 05:17 AM
"I'm more worried about the door team."

Simon fires into the robots, aiming to cripple or destroy with each shot so as to prolong the time they have. He'd also look for any spots where the robot horde seemed thinnest.
03-02-2018, 06:14 AM
Casey paused, slightly concerned about the oncoming shit-stomping. If it was just the robo soldiers, he'd attempt to manufacture a small hill for high ground, but the spider bots made that pointless. Although... He started trying to make the ground slanted, and putting rivulets into it, to allow the heavy rain coming down to be flowing down through the soft risen earth. More terrain control with sloshy mud and water ideally.

03-02-2018, 06:46 AM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2018 06:46 AM by Cidellus.)
Rather suddenly, all movable robots in the factory began rushing outside. To where, they weren't quite sure. It certainly was convenient, though!

Meanwhile, outside, the robots were all suddenly drawn to a far more significant distraction. Water was rushing into the base from all sides, and the robots were all amassing at the perimeter, trying in vain to build a levy capable of stopping the water. Tlaloc shifted his attention to keeping the water away from the group. Particularly Casey, who found that the water seemed to be salty.

Which was bad for his health.
03-02-2018, 09:33 AM
Casey was sad by this. He started pulling up the soft muck and starting running/riding to the base, planning to essentially crash his way into a building and make some mess. That was the plan anyway. "Tlaloc, can you just make rain or control water in general? We can just make a tidal mud/water wave, yeah? How's that for a disrupting distracting entrance?"

03-02-2018, 10:58 AM
Max watched as the robots rushed out, and shouted,

"Now's our chance!"

When the bulk of them went through, he told the three guys from earlier to provide cover for him, Emily, and Vigil and started for the door.

03-03-2018, 04:49 AM
Max, Vigil, and the others rushed through the water, easily putting down the sparse robotic resistance down. They quickly reached the bunker entrance and hunkered down while Max and Emily worked at the gate.

The water had risen to waist level at this point, and Tlaloc was using a significant amount of his focus to keep the water away from them. And away from Casey.

"Usually can! Can't at the moment!" Tlaloc shouted.

The group rushed through the base towards the bunker, where they found Vigil, Max, and the rest of the group sitting near the bunker entrance. Max and AI Emily were working at getting through the door. They took up positions there, where Tlaloc promptly protected everybody in a bubble of dryness.

It was nice. Not being drowned or crushed by rapidly rising flood waters.

Quite nice.
03-03-2018, 05:05 AM
Hmm. Yeah. Casey stood nearby Tlaloc, intent on saving him from any sudden gunfire or attacks somehow? Since if Tlaloc died, then Casey would IMMEDIATELY die anyway. He'd made sure to take some small stones with him too since he didn't have any like, guns, so...Eh. He took out his hammer and just, got ready. Everyone looked miraculously fine so no need to administer medi-gel right now. "So, going well so far. I guess we just get in there and cause trouble, til like, the others arrive if they are? Though we should just go for the AI anyway I suppose? Eh." He said, half to himself as he stared nervously at the death bubble. He'd move in front of Tlaloc once the doors opened since that'd the future incoming danger.

He was really tempted to just start wacking at the door, but that'd probably make things harder, not easier for Max.

03-03-2018, 05:46 AM
"Sooner we do this the better. It's only a matter of time before the AI prepares for what we're up to. I say we push forward as far as we can."

Simon sees Casey trying to cover the guy keeping them from drowning, and keeps any potential enemies off of Max and Emily instead.
03-03-2018, 04:31 PM
Siren dived down into the sea and summoned a number of small shelly fish creatures that seemed to want to attach to people's faces. Her gut told her that they'd allow people to breathe underwater. Regardless, she also quickly found a lot of giant spiderbots and tankbots attempting to escape the rising floodwaters.

Siren's superhuman strength, combined with her ridiculous swimming speeds, made for one hell of a combination as she rocketed into them at high speeds, smashing right through them all as the lumbered uselessly in the water.

Meanwhile, as Team Assault stood near the door, they also noticed Chalchi approaching in a large water bubble containing most of Team Flood (with the exception of Lux, Solar Flare, Maria, and Siren). She quickly reunited her bubble with that of her husband, and they smiled to one another as they used their combined force to maintain a breathable sphere of oxygen. Teams Assault and Flood were now reunited!

Outside the bubble, Solar Flare was racing around in the water, powered by dawn's sunny rays and blasting whatever he could! Siren was doing the same, tearing through robots like tissue paper now. Lux was flying up above the surface, and Maria was going around beneath the surface.

Max and Emily soon managed to hack their way through the door. Between Emily's ability to keep the hostile AI at bay and Max's ability to do almost anything with hardware, there was no chance of the AI keeping them out. The giant metal blast doors opened, revealing a giant concrete hallway containing an innumerable number of robots. These ranged from tiny spiderbots to giant tankbots.

Their attempts to shoot at the group, however, were stifled by the massive surge of water that came through the doors, knocking them back.
03-03-2018, 05:04 PM
"Anyone hurt?" Emily pretty much immediately asks. Sorry, Dr. Emily. Now we have to differentiate again.

Oh, yeah, she's got a sweater on instead of her usual labcoat, and also a big pair of feathery wings sticking through that. So, you know, that's new.