Masks: Tales of Heroism and Villainy
03-05-2018, 01:37 PM
RE: Masks: Tales of Heroism and Villainy
”Definitely. Want to do rounds with people who will be harder to reach, first, but I’ll catch up with you right after, ok? But if you want to start moving sooner, you know how to get my attention.”

Maria gave Max’s shoulder a sound pat, and went off to make her rounds. Gave Athena and Adrasteia a wave, since she’d see them soon enough. Grabbed Tlaloc and Chalchi up in a big hug, made sure their shrines were all in place out of the President’s sight so they could leave as they pleased. Lex, she was on thin ice with, so she wouldn’t bother her unless bothered. Max (and Emily by proxy) she’d take care of later, several people she didn’t get her social link up with enough to care so much since she wasn’t the Shepard she used to be... She’d already told Siren her deal, and she knew how to let her over if she decided to take that up... Who else...

”Vigil! Don’t be a stranger this time!”

Right.

She went up to Kane, and lifted her helmet enough to not have to use the dumb helmet voice. “... Think we all need to get home. Mind putting off that game some?”
03-05-2018, 02:03 PM
Casey kinda jerked. He'd forgotten about that. "Er, yeah, sure. I get that fighting a robot horde and...whatever you guys did with Siren, takes it out of you. It's cool." He offered her a light handshake. "It was pretty great seeing you, and some of the others, and meeting people again. Cept Reaper. And wish it had been in better context. But still, good luck." He said, pulling his tone up from the downswing.

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
03-05-2018, 02:18 PM
Maria returned a very firm shake, and he could see her grin lightly through the crack in her visor. “Hey. If you end up going to the clink, I’ll bring you the rematch. With everything as it always is when we hang out... I’m glad you made it out safe. Though knowing you, only really had to worry about Reaper.”

She chuckled, quietly. “I’ll see you when I do, Casey. Let’s hope I won’t be made a liar of, and it’s in the best circumstances we can scrounge up. With cards. I need to get some practice in.”

And with that, she continued her rounds... With not really that many left. She wasn’t really. The pep talker anymore. Or at least she figured nobody would want or appreciate it. Still, it was time to get going. Maybe last person before Max.

“... Hey, Doc, can I have your ear in the hangar for a second?”
03-05-2018, 02:45 PM
Vigil coughs.

"UH, YEAH, SO... ABOUT CRIMINAL RECORDS, THEN, MR. PRESIDENT..."
03-05-2018, 03:01 PM
"I don't have that sort of information at the moment, no," the President said to Max. "It'll be a while before I do. Government is kind of in shambles. But enough of it survived that we can rebuild it, with some time."

He then addressed Vigil.

"I'll see what the governor can do. Yours is a bit harder to deal with, though, since you shot four civilians with a bow and arrow. Meanwhile, Max fought a domestic terrorist organization that was later labeled a threat to the United States. I'll see what I can do, though."
03-05-2018, 04:35 PM
Vigil sighed, shrugged.

"WAS WORTH A TRY."

He noticed Maria leaving and gave a wave.

"GLAD YOU'RE NOT DEAD, TAKE CARE OUT THERE."
03-05-2018, 04:45 PM
"I guess I can understand wanting to gather us all together. I'm also worried about another STORM situation though. Mr. President, would you consent to allowing those of us for whom it still matters for to keep our identities secret?"
03-05-2018, 04:55 PM
"You can keep them secret to the public, of course. I'd ask that you at least tell each other your identities. There needs to be some kind of accountability to this. If one of you goes rogue and starts killing kids and robbing banks, there should be some system in place to take you in. Think that's pretty understandable, though I doubt that'd happen again."
03-05-2018, 05:07 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2018 05:07 PM by Protoman.)
Isidora approaches Max. "Excuse me. Mister Volts? I'd like to speak with you."
03-05-2018, 05:08 PM
"Hm? Oh, uh... sure, Maria." Emily accompanied Maria to the hangar!
03-05-2018, 05:13 PM
Max noticed Isidora speaking to him.

"Hm? Oh, all right."

He goes off with her.

The one, the only, Vancho!
03-05-2018, 09:36 PM
(03-05-2018 04:55 PM)Cidellus Wrote:  "You can keep them secret to the public, of course. I'd ask that you at least tell each other your identities. There needs to be some kind of accountability to this. If one of you goes rogue and starts killing kids and robbing banks, there should be some system in place to take you in. Think that's pretty understandable, though I doubt that'd happen again."

Casey felt super attacked right now.

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
03-06-2018, 02:02 AM
"Anyway! I'm going to take off. Bevill, I'll send my contact details along. Make sure these guys get them," the President said.

"I'll be giving them a new set of communicators. Your line will be on them. Do make sure your end is secure," Bevill nodded.

"Will do," the President said. "Til next time!"

And then the line disconnected, and Agent Wolfe brought in a new box of KNIGHT COMMUNICATORS! They were similar to flip phones, except a lot more rugged and durable, and likely a lot more secure. They each had Bevill's number on them, along with the President's, Athena's (strangely enough), and one another's.

Meaning that the heroes could freaking reliably call each other now! And could call KNIGHT! And could call the President! And could call...the Greek Goddess of Wisdom? If they wanted?
03-06-2018, 05:17 AM
Maria kinda snorted seeing Athena’s number on there. The busy body. She put that in a pocket, removed her helmet, and took Doc Emily aside. “Right, So, a few bits of business. First, I’ll be taking that statue back, since I’m an awful sculptor and don’t have many of those right now.”

Once she’d done so, she set it on the ground. In a split second she was gone and back, now with her regular face. “Now. The next two bits, I want you to understand, are entirely separate of each other. So. Regardless of anything? You’ve got my number now. And it looks like you’re new to this. What’s going on for you seems preeeeeetty sweet.”

She smiled softly. Fresh faced hero was still looking pretty good despite it all. “And if this is something you want to stick with, for most folk, that comes with a lot of trouble. I don’t know what kind you’ll run into. But if you need help you can’t otherwise get, or shit, even just an ear that kinda gets it? I’ve got your back, as much as I can. Looks like legal services and potentially healthcare (mental and otherwise) are going to get better for folk like us, but I wouldn’t count on them to go too crazy. What I’m saying is, on the more personal side of things, you’ve got a friend in this business, if you need or want one.”
03-06-2018, 07:21 AM
"Coooool," said Lex, not sounding thrilled, and not picking up a communicator. "Any chance I can get mine served without trackers? For when they inevitably get compromised? Again?"
03-06-2018, 07:23 AM
"These ones aren't tracked," Wolfe said. "We learned that lesson last time."
03-06-2018, 07:26 AM
Doubt.
03-06-2018, 07:31 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2018 07:31 AM by MQuinny1234.)
Casey looked at his phone suspiciously. He probably didn't get to have this when IN prison.

"What are the odds that a SECOND splinter group would appear though?" He asked jokingly. "Well, STORM may get an even worse one maybe actually. But... that's sort of their, and then our, problem."

03-06-2018, 07:43 AM
Emily honestly didn't know what to think about Maria. On one hand, she seems pretty nice and she's supportive and crap, but on the other hand... she's killed a bunch of people in the past?? Or something??? A bit of a stain on the ol' permanent record, that one. Enough to make Emily a little nervous.

"Uh... thanks. I mean. I am new to all of this, and I really don't know how it's supposed to go, but, it's at least good to know someone's got my back? I'm not sure I'd have figured this stuff out on my own at all." Emily kinda scratches at her back. "To be honest, I don't know what to do now. Am I supposed to, like, keep my identity a secret? Because that seems kind of hard now, with the whole... wings situation? And I'm kinda worried about just being public with this, because... I mean, I would love to heal everyone, to help everyone who's sick and injured, but... I don't think it's physically possible, and I don't know what to do about just... having miraculous healing powers. You know? I can't help everyone."
03-06-2018, 07:44 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2018 07:47 AM by Whimbrel.)
Hmph. Well, she took one, turning it over suspiciously, and checked to see if it had texting capabilities. If it did, she typed out a message to the President. <Want an in-person meeting to discuss, not immediately. Shall I head to DC or somewhere else?>

She gave Jasper a nod. Still had a thing to tell him, later.

She waited for Maria to re-enter the room.
03-06-2018, 07:58 AM
Once they're somewhere private, Isidora turns to him. "Mr. Volts, would I be incorrect in assuming you're facing something of an internal struggle at the moment? Forgive me if I am wrong, but between your video message, your statements over the course of the meeting, and your general demeanor, I got the sense that you were a man possessed by guilt."
03-06-2018, 08:19 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2018 08:19 AM by Corn.)
Maria nodded, crossing her arms to listen. Serious and sympathetic. “Yeah, I understand. One of the bigger dilemmas when you realize you can do something. What all can I do, how can I do it better, how do I prioritize who benefits from it... it’s hard. You’ve got a lot of stuff to think about while the world gets itself back into shape. But, you’ve got a little grace period here, so...”

She sighed a little, crossed her arms a little tighter. “Advice from an old hat? Unless you’re an orphan with no friends, you should do what you can to keep yourself separate from this, publically. Think about who and what you can call on locally if you run into trouble you can’t handle. Be careful about who you trust with information. Myself included, I feel the need to mention. I don’t know who here remembers your name, but I’d make it a point to go by something else, even around us.

“I don’t doubt something like STORM will come along again, but staving off your identity being known will always benefit your loved ones, even if you aren’t so concerned about what happens to you. There might still be some wizards on ship you might be able to ask about... hmm. It’s not my kinda magic, I don’t know what they could do? But I wonder if you might be able to get hooked up with some kind of concealing coat. The only other alternative I can think of is... Removing them until you need them, which I understand would probably be grizzly and draining. I’m not the most sure about that Problem, but. You kinda saved the world today. And you’re not even a criminal as far as I’m aware. Someone will feel you’re owed something. Just something to look into.”
03-06-2018, 08:46 AM
Maria's cell phone rings with <UNKNOWN NUMBER> as the caller ID.

03-06-2018, 08:55 AM
Maria looked down and... frowned??? So soon??? “Uhh. One second. Sorry.”

And uhh. Picked up? Shielding the bottom so it didn’t pick up too much background noise.

“Hello?”
03-06-2018, 08:57 AM
"Coyote?" What was very obviously the Raven's voice came through the phone. "You guys make it out alright?"

03-06-2018, 09:01 AM
Maria gasped! And smiled! And grabbed Emily’s shoulder and shook it a little bit, excitedly mouthing, ‘RAVEN’S ALIVE!!!!’

“Yeah, yes, god I’m glad to hear you are too. Ghost gal got the President and wasn’t announced dead, so I’m... assuming until I ask. A lot of uhh... Speedbumps I think will have to be addressed later. What happened to you out there man?”
03-06-2018, 09:02 AM
"I died. Again. It happens." Raven said offhandedly. "In North Dakota now, magic happened. Where the hell are you guys? DC was crawling with bots last I saw it."

03-06-2018, 09:11 AM
“Hey, I feel that.” Maria nodded to herself. Part of this dying all the time club, now. “Uhh, we... Hmm. We just took care of the source of the problem in Texas, everyone’s about to head home. Not sure what happened in DC, just know for sure the President got out. We got out of there when the Pentagon seemed too far gone for us to handle. Uhh. There’s. Something kinda horrific under Rainwalk, could be in your alley- but... Hmm. I’d say I could catch you up on everything later, but I wonder, if you’re going to be reachable or just disappear again...?”

She had on a light smirk, and it was evident in her tone.
03-06-2018, 09:13 AM
"I'll probably be off the grid until I can find a suitable communicator that isnt a fucking burner, this isnt even my phone right now." Raven said. "And I'll have a look in Rainwalk if I can have more details, I just need to figure out a way to undisappear Solomon city first."

03-06-2018, 09:23 AM
“Well, that’s little more promising. When you can afford not to be a stranger, don’t be. Don’t really want to discuss this over... whosever phone this is? The thing gets in your head, I wouldn’t go there alone or without mental protection. Powerful as hell. I’ll catch you up when you’re ready to think about that- though if you have my number, you may have others? Might want to give Siren a call. Her turf. Anyway, priorities? We’ve all got loved ones to check on- and apparently you’ve got a City. To. Undisappear. Lemme know if I can help with anything. Can’t tell you how good it is to hear you’re still kicking, my man. Catch you when you’re ready to be caught?”
03-06-2018, 09:25 AM
"Yeah, fairs fair. Apparently you were looking for me before all this kicked off or something? I think #Hero told me. Anyway that can be later. Which was the woman who had my Shadowcat? I need to talk to her about it."

03-06-2018, 09:35 AM
“I was, but. You’re alive, so it sorted itself. Right, Hmm... Izz... Hrm.” Maria had to think for a second. Shit. “Isodora. I think. Noticed that, hope it goes well? Good luck. Catch you later, then.”
03-06-2018, 09:41 AM
The call ends. Isidora's communicator rings.

03-06-2018, 09:43 AM
Isidora holds up a finger to Max and walks off a moment. She answers.

"Hello?"
03-06-2018, 09:44 AM
"Isidora, is it? Yeah, hi, this is the Raven. The guy Ceridwen tackled back in DC. Don't worry she didn't kill me, I just want to now if she's doing alright after the battle. I heard some weird magical nonsense went down unexpectently in Rainwater."

03-06-2018, 09:47 AM
Maria put the phone back in her pocket and returned her attention to Emily. “Sorry about that. Guy’s a real pain to keep track of.
03-06-2018, 10:20 AM
Isidora stiffens up a bit. "I haven't seen her since DC. I presumed she was with you, seeing as you're her..." A frown forms over the inquisitor's face. If she wasn't wearing sunglasses, the pain in her eyes would be visible. "Have you not kept track of her?"
03-06-2018, 10:25 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2018 10:26 AM by Galloglasses.)
Raven was quiet for a moment.

"If she's not with you, then she's likely still in DC. Shadowcats can survive fine so long as they have somewhere dark to shift into shadow form. I doubt the AI even knew how to look for her even if it wanted to. Thank you for looking after her while I was... indisposed."

03-06-2018, 10:28 AM
Isidora's jaw tightens.

"I didn't do it for you. When I found her, she was dying. Near dead. Given your attitude towards her safety, I suppose I can see why."

A pause. "I did all I did for the love of her. It was what she deserved."
03-06-2018, 10:30 AM
The Raven didn't comment on her terse reply.

"All the same, thank you nonetheless. Goodbye for now." The Raven hung up.

Max Volt's phone rang.

03-06-2018, 10:31 AM
Isidora turned back to Max. "I'm sorry. I've got to go."

She rushes off to find Bald Eagle. She'll interrupt him if she has to.

"Excuse me. I need to get back to DC immediately. It's an emergency."
03-06-2018, 11:49 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2018 11:49 AM by Cidellus.)
Bald Eagle was standing in the hangar waiting to leave. He didn't have his glider anymore, so he was relying on KNIGHT to get back.

"Uh, that's where I'm headed. Waiting for a transport there," he said. "Should be leaving shortly."

The President sent a reply to Lex!

<Sure.>
<Might be a bit, but I'll figure something out.>
03-06-2018, 11:52 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2018 11:58 AM by Whimbrel.)
In that case, Lex was headed to DC! Not right this instant! Once she wrapped up her junk!

She informed Dragonfly quietly! "Hey! I'm headed up to DC to meet the president in a bit. You can come or head off, uh, home? I probably need to pick up a burner at some point..."
03-06-2018, 11:57 AM
She nods. "Thank you. I-- A dear friend might be in vital danger. And it's my fault. I'm... Very sorry."
03-06-2018, 12:21 PM
Simon was sitting, deep in thought. Eventually he figured it was sort of now or never, a lot of people were already starting to leave.

"Hey, speaking of this whole hero alliance thing the President was talking about, I might be able to be of some use supporting some of you guys - if you need it. Funds, equipment, travel, uh, a job? Besides this one of course. I don't know any of you super well.

I'll probably be heading out to DC with most, so if you're interested let me know, or give me a shout over one of these phones later."
03-06-2018, 01:42 PM
"HAHAHA! HAHAHAHA! HAAAAA..."

Vigil slapped his knee, having been standing a few feet away from Simon.

"YEAH. FUNDING FROM THE TRAIN STOPPER CYBORG. I'M GOOD SALVAGING GARBAGE, THANKS."

Vigil walks over to Lex.

"HEY KID, YOU DOING OKAY?"

He seems to listen to himself, holds up a hand, coughs.

"So if there's one thing I've learned, teens are more likely to listen to me if I drop the Voice... Seriously, though, has your family been safe through this STORM business? With the number the robots did on them, I might be able to finally let loose, so if you need help with any blood vengeance..."
03-06-2018, 01:44 PM
Emily stood by politely while Maria was on the phone!

"...Cutting them off seems, uh... painful and dangerous, not to mention inconvenient when I need them." Emily "hmm'd". "I... guess I don't really know how to get started with all of this, either. Heal people in the aftermath of... supervillain attacks? Support other heroes when they do their thing? I mean, I don't really want to fight, even if I learned how. Any... ideas on that?"
03-06-2018, 01:48 PM
Lux and Dragonfly were hanging together. She shot the Dragonfly an amused smirk at his inquiry...and responded with, surprisingly, no voice as well. "Yeah, no...I haven't been able to act on STORM due to the whole...KNIGHT database leak... But now... I might discuss it with them."

"But seriously, we've been wondering..." She leaned in. "What's the deal with that girl? Is she blackmailing you or something?" That was played as more of a joke than a serious expectation of his situation.
03-06-2018, 01:53 PM
“Hmm...” Maria nauseated that. “Well. Lots of work to be done right now. It’d probably do you well to get physically prepared in case anything else too big happens. If you can fly, and get places fast, then the only thing stopping you is knowing... where things are happening. Might be worth figuring out how to get to or set up a good fast way to get that sort of info in your city. #Hero might be a good place to start, a better person to ask about figuring that kinda thing out.”

She paused.

“Also uhh.” She lowered her voice. “Unless you are particularly interested in having it, might take that gun back. It’d land you in a fair bit of trouble if confiscated.”
03-06-2018, 01:55 PM
"You both have a lot in common, actually, you are both intent on throwing yourselves into danger and make the only way to keep you safe to help you do it."

Vigil shrugged.

"Real answer is that we just have too much in common."