Escape! The Deadly Challenge of Magnus Illkor [RTD]
06-28-2016, 03:12 AM
RE: Escape! The Deadly Challenge of Magnus Illkor [RTD]
"Yeah, you kind of do look like what I know one wizard looks like, actually. But fine, the merciful Goddess will give you a chance to prove yourself... But i've got my eyes on you for any heretical behavior.
06-28-2016, 04:12 AM
Avery begins fiddling with one of the lockpicks at his cell door.
06-28-2016, 04:52 AM
"Yes because I'd obviously lock myself in this stupid cell and participate in my own contest."
06-28-2016, 05:10 AM
"Yes, that is precisely the kind of depraved lunacy a wizard would act out." Taava says, in apparent agreement.
06-28-2016, 06:21 AM
Does he... know what a wizard is?

The real Magnus Illthor begins ignoring the madman.
06-28-2016, 01:54 PM
Iftit brushes away the dirt, but this section of wall seems pretty solid. It doesn't move very far. (8)

Dr Wyrm plays an alright drum solo, I guess. A guard hollers from the other side of the door for you to quiet down. (10).

Limburr pries at the bars with the stick, managing to move them a few inches before the branch starts creaking under the pressure of being used as a lever. (11)

Chrometallica widens the gap even farther with her mouth. She could probably make a try at slipping through now. (14)

"Magnus" finds an old cot in the corner of the room. It looks pretty rotten, but maybe one of its legs could pry open the bars? (12)

Vyk easily opens the cell with the key. Looking at the other locks, it seems like this key could open any of the cells. (19)

Maxine ponders the physics of infinite drumsticks. She suddenly has a revelation - of course! It's all simple! The drumsticks are harmonic excitations of the 11-dimensional branes in the gauge field theory, and thus by disturbing the probability field you can gain theoretically infinite drumsticks without fulfilling the Schwarzschild condition, and thus avoiding a singularity. Her new insight into the field of M-Theory allows her to realize that she can tunnel through the cell bars, and thus exits her cell. (20)

Taava tries to squeeze through the cell bars, but gets stuck. (4)

Chance calls out to one of the guards to make a deal. The guard opens the slit in the door, thinks for a while, and says, "Alright, here's the key, meet me in the break room in half an hour". (17).

Avery fiddles with the lockpicks. He makes some progress, but the lock is kind of hard. (10)

Living Players:

Limburr [SupahKiven]:
HP: 9/10
Strength: 1
Toughness: 0
Dexterity: 1
Skills:
Tree-Armament - Can spend HP to attempt to gain a temporary weapon.
Equipment:
- Stick[1] - +1 damage, loses 1 durability per hit.

EXP: 3

Ifrit Azazel [Coldblooded]:
HP: 10
Dexterity: 0
Magic:
Blood School
- HELLFIRE [2R] - Can expend charges to summon magical demonic fire. Regains a charge when you strike a killing blow on an opponent. Blood Mages can spend HP to attempt to regain charges.
Equipment:
- Hardtack - Surprisingly, still edible.

Chrometallica [Acolyte Doctor]:
Strength: 2

Chance [ICan'tGiveCredit]:
Skills:
Fate Swap - When you roll a natural one, you have a 25% chance to swap rolls with a random other player.

EXP: 1

Magnus Illkor (the real) [Palamedes]:
HP: 8/10

Dr. Wyrm [Anomaly]:
Skills:
I like to play the drums - Gains a bonus to all attempts to play the drums.
Equipment:
- Drumset - A collection of drums.
- Drumsticks - Infinitely many

Dame Maxine [Supernerd]
Skills:
Veteran Instinct - Instead of making a normal attack, may choose to reduce damage dealt in exchange for blocking damage taken.

EXP: 2

Faithful Taava [chimericWilder]
Magic:
Holy School
- Zealous Heal[4R] - May attempt to heal a character. That character takes damage over the next few turns. Holy Mages can pray at shrines to attempt to restore charges.

Joseph Avery [Bramzter]
Skills:
Master of Disguise - May attempt to disguise self as another.
Equipment:
- Rusty Lockpicks[1] - May be used to open a lock. Lose durability upon a bad roll.

Vyk [RatStar]
Magic:
Shadow School
- Steal[7] - May attempt to magically steal any item from another character, NPC, or simply an item out of reach. Only usable by Shadow Mages.
Equipment:
- Guard's Key - Is a master key for all the cells in this block. Neat!

The one, the only, Vancho!
06-28-2016, 02:06 PM
Chrometallica goes through the bar-space and goes look at the room for any cool things.
06-28-2016, 02:10 PM
Hmm, maybe there's a weaker portion of wall further on? Ifrit digs rightwards, alongside the wall, looking for any new openings.

Tumblr/Steam
06-28-2016, 02:24 PM
Limburr has another go at the bars. If he can just get them a little more open...
06-28-2016, 02:42 PM
Dr. Wyrm decides that this is a terrible concert venue!

He tries to pry the bars open.
06-28-2016, 03:52 PM
The real Magnus Illkor tries to use the cot to break open the door!
06-28-2016, 07:45 PM
Vyk searches his cell before leaving it, you never know what you might find in a place like this.
06-28-2016, 11:41 PM
Maxine searches for a guard uniform to disguise herself as one of the guards.
06-29-2016, 05:08 AM
Avery fiddles with the lock some more. and snorts at the attempt at disguising from that drummer guy.
06-29-2016, 05:27 AM
Chance tries to size up everyone else, see who's good to bet on. Other than himself.

Edited for Readability and Preservation of Sanity - The Revolution - OP - Chapter 1/2 - Chapter 2/2 (missing maps) - Chapter 2 - Chapter 3 (Ongoing) - Chat
06-29-2016, 08:16 AM
Damnit.

Taava tries to widen the gap in the bars enough for him to get free and get through.
06-30-2016, 05:58 PM
Gonna be moving, update tomorrow morning.

07-04-2016, 07:32 AM
Thanks for bearing with the delay as I moved. Regular updates will resume.

Chrometallica manages to slip through the bars, though she doesn't see anything cool in the hallway - just prison cells. (14)

Ifrit digs to the right. He gets some dirt under his fingernails, but he finally finds a loose stone and emerges into a narrow corridor, lit every twenty feet with a torch. (16)

Limburr manages to wrench the bars open completely, and can walk out any time he pleases (18).

Dr. Wyrm manages to push the bars a bit apart. There's a larger gap between them, but it'll be a very tight fit, especially for the drumset. (14)

Magnus bashes open the door to his cell with the cot. It falls apart, but one of the legs is a serviceable club. (19)

Vyk finds a few old coins in the cell. It's not much, though. (12)

Maxine can't seem to disguise herself, and in her attempts to fashion a guard uniform damages her own clothing. It's pretty obvious she's an escaped prisoner now. (6)

Avery fiddles with the lock, but the lockpicks break under the stress. (3)

Chance has no idea on who to bet on. Maybe those who have already escaped their cells? (10)

Taava pushes and squeezes, and manages to get mostly free. He's mostly out now, except for one leg stuck in the bars. (14)

Living Players:

Limburr [SupahKiven]:
Skills:
Equipment:

EXP: 4

Magic:
Blood School
- HELLFIRE [2R] - Can expend charges to summon magical demonic fire. Regains a charge when you strike a killing blow on an opponent. Blood Mages can spend HP to attempt to regain charges.
Equipment:

Skills:
Fate Swap - When you roll a natural one, you have a 25% chance to swap rolls with a random other player.

Equipment:
- Club[5] - A wooden club. Gives +1 damage, loses one durability per hit.

Dr. Wyrm [Anomaly]:
Skills:
Equipment:

Dame Maxine [Supernerd]
Skills:
Veteran Instinct - Instead of making a normal attack, may choose to reduce damage dealt in exchange for blocking damage taken.

Magic:
Holy School
- Zealous Heal[4R] - May attempt to heal a character. That character takes damage over the next few turns. Holy Mages can pray at shrines to attempt to restore charges.

Joseph Avery [Bramzter]
Skills:
Equipment:

Vyk [RatStar]
Magic:
Shadow School
- Steal[7] - May attempt to magically steal any item from another character, NPC, or simply an item out of reach. Only usable by Shadow Mages.
Equipment:

07-04-2016, 08:01 AM
Avery frowns at the lockpicks and disguises himself as a guard.
07-04-2016, 08:39 AM
"Finally, free."

The real Magnus Illkor tries to open the door the guards left through.
07-04-2016, 09:11 AM
Yes, fire! Ifrit is glad to be out of the darkness now. He grabs a torch off the wall and starts sneaking down the halls, keeping an ear out for any guards.

Tumblr/Steam
07-04-2016, 10:15 AM
As Limburr steps through the bars, he suspiciously eyes this 'real' Magnus Illkor. He had heard the argument between him and one of the other 'prisoners', and how he claimed that he was the true Magnus. Limburr doubts that, but resolves to simply keep an eye on him.

Now out in the hall, Limburr attempts to pry up one of the bent bars from his cell to use as a weapon.
07-04-2016, 10:35 AM
Maxine attempts to sneak up on a guard and knock him/her/it out. Then take their uniform.
07-04-2016, 11:14 AM
Taava just sort of wriggles his leg free enough so that he can hoist it up where the gap was wider. If he could get his torso through that gap, this shouldnt stop him.

Kind of undignified, though.
07-04-2016, 01:39 PM
Name: Torment

Class: Necromancy (Magic)
Spell: Raise Skeleton

Bio: Torment had one goal in life, raise an army of the dead to flood the world with an army of the damned. Once the ruler of a country, his hubris, and attempts to use trickery to take over nearby kingdoms, went horribly wrong and his people lead a mutiny and tried to kill him. He was able to flee, and sought a way to bide his time and get revenge. Using the art of Necromancy, he made sure he would live on once his human body decayed. Now he is nothing more than a floating skull, a pair of white gloves, and white sneakers. The Sneakers and Gloves act as feet/hands to an invisible body, and only move in the way that human limbs would allow them to move. Having heard of this tournament, Torment knew it was his chance to try an win enough money to gather enough materials to restart his attempt at an army of the dead.
07-04-2016, 02:20 PM
Chrometallica helps wrench Avery's bars.
07-04-2016, 04:36 PM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2016 04:36 PM by ICan'tGiveCredit.)
Chance counts exactly 30 minutes to meet his client, finding the first escapees to be suitable gambling vehicles.

Edited for Readability and Preservation of Sanity - The Revolution - OP - Chapter 1/2 - Chapter 2/2 (missing maps) - Chapter 2 - Chapter 3 (Ongoing) - Chat
07-04-2016, 05:05 PM
Vyk walks over to Avery's cell and uses the key to open it.
07-04-2016, 08:37 PM
"Well hey! Thank ye for that."
07-05-2016, 01:09 AM
"That's alright bud, looked like you could use some help with that."
07-05-2016, 04:41 PM
Avery, with a little clever thinking, manages to transform his clothes into a perfect imitation of a guard. He even manages to find a guard's baton and keyring stashed in the cell! (20)

Magnus opens the door. (10)

Ifrit grabs a torch and attempts to sneak. He's not very good though, and loud footsteps soon echo down the corridor. Someone, or something, is coming. (5)

Limburr pries off one of the iron bars to use as a weapon. It's well-balanced and will give a bit of reach. It will give +1 to hit and damage for 5 strikes. (15)

Maxine attempts to sneak up on a guard. Unfortunately, there is more than one guard in the next room! (10)

Taava has little luck getting his leg free of the bars. (5)

Chrometallica can't seem to bend Avery's bars. (5)

Chance tries to walk out. He sees the guard he made a deal with, but there are other guards in the room! (10)

Vyk unlocks the door to Avery's cell. (10)

EVENT:

Magnus, Maxine, and Chance spot 3 Guards approaching them, with a tied-up Torment behind them! The guards, seeing that the prisoners are attempting to escape, draw their batons. Combat begins!
IMPORTANT!

In the interest of keeping things moving and not having combat drag on too long, here is how combat will be handled:

First, all players involved in the combat (in this case, Magnus, Maxine, Torment(though he starts tied up and will need to escape his bonds first) and Chance) will give me their "Combat Orders". This is a description of what to do during the battle. An example would be, "I attack the guard with the lowest health each turn", or "I focus my attacks on Guard B". They don't have to be this simple! You can make a post like this:

"I'll first blast these enemies with my debuff spell Weakness, then focus on hitting Guard A until they're down. After that, I'll help with whoever's at the lowest HP. If I drop below 3 HP, I'll try to run away each turn."

Once I get all orders, I will roll to determine initiative and run each round of combat in that order.

Instead of attacking, you may choose to run away. If you run, you will get a roll, and depending on the result of that roll you'll either get away or lose HP. If you drop to 0 HP, you will die! There are a few exceptions to this which do not apply right now.

All combat rolls will be done in one update, at the start of the update (IE before other character actions), unless something would interrupt the combat, such as another player or more enemies joining. If combat is interrupted, you will have a chance to adjust your orders. If an interrupting action happens by another player, one round of combat will go through before the interrupt.

Finally, EXP will still be calculated on the number of rolls you make. This way, hard fights (ie lots of rolls required to win) are more rewarded than easy fights. If I feel that this is inappropriate, I will change the way it's calculated.

As always, all these mechanics are subject to change if I feel like they don't work. Please let me know if anything is not working well!

Living Players:

Limburr [SupahKiven]:
Skills:
Equipment:
- Iron Bar[5] - +1 to hit/+1 damage. Loses 1 durability per hit.

EXP: 5

Magic:
Blood School
Equipment:

Skills:

Equipment:

Dr. Wyrm [Anomaly]:
Skills:
Equipment:

Dame Maxine [Supernerd]
Skills:

Magic:
Holy School

Joseph Avery [Bramzter]
Skills:
Equipment:
- Guard Uniform - Looks surprisingly real.
- Guard Keyring - Probably has some of the keys to cells around here, maybe even other doors.
- Guard Baton[3] - +2 damage per hit. Loses 1 durability per hit.

Vyk [RatStar]
Magic:
Shadow School
Equipment:

Torment [Discord The Hedgehog]
Magic:
Dark School
- Raise Skeleton[5] - Raises a skeletal minion from a fallen enemy. Can only be used by dark mages.

EXP: 0

07-05-2016, 05:16 PM
Ifrit quickly looks around for a nearby side room or for something convenient to hide behind. Once there, he snuffs out the torch and waits for the footsteps to get closer...

Tumblr/Steam
07-05-2016, 06:06 PM
Torment, seeing these people approaching, decides to use the potential fight as a distraction while he spends his combat turns trying to wriggle free. Once free, he will try to sneak up and attack the guard that has been attacked the most (most likely lowest HP), since he knows that a good strategy is to take out people one by one, so that there is less people to hit you back.
07-05-2016, 07:20 PM
"All right you guys, just stay behind me and act like you are being transferred to where ever they want us to put to work"

Avery opens the other cell doors with the keys and tries to craft a shiv out off the broken lockpicks
07-05-2016, 07:49 PM
Chrometallica punches a guard.
07-05-2016, 10:21 PM
"Just give me a moment to scrouge up a weapon, I don't wanna have to fight without something."
Vyk searches for a weapon.
07-06-2016, 12:19 AM
The misguided minions of the vile wizard! Taava must defeat these foul lackeys by the righteous blessing of the Goddess!

But first, he really needed to get free from these bars. Had that wizard enchanted them with some kind of depraved ability to stick to things or something? No matter, they wouldnt hold him much longer.
07-06-2016, 12:28 AM
The real Magnus Illkor focuses on taking down the same guard that his random new allies do, unless the fight looks like it's going south - in which case he retreats back to the cells for more hopeful reinforcements.
07-06-2016, 12:34 AM
"Do you require assistance?" Timburr suddenly asked Taava, a wooden hand on the cell bars in preparation.
07-06-2016, 04:56 AM
"No." The robed man replies.

"Well, maybe..." He adds after a while of still struggling with freeing his leg.

"Alright fine," he admits after another moment. "If you could widen this gap a bit, that would be most gracious of you. Anything that expediates the purging of these unclean pests," he says with a gesture at the hostile guardsmen, "is a task well undertaken."
07-06-2016, 05:07 AM
"Whatever you say." Limburr attempts to wrench open the bars trapping Taava's leg. He didn't really understand what Taava was saying, but any enemy of Magnus was a potential friend of his.
07-06-2016, 08:08 AM
Maxine Combat Orders

Turn 1:
Maxine strikes the head of the guard that she snuck up on.
Subsequent turns:
IF Maxine's health is full, Maxine attacks the nearest guard.
IF Maxine's health is between 4 and 9, Maxine attacks the nearest guard using veteran instinct.
IF Maxine's health is under 4, Maxine retreats.

All combat orders listed above will not take precedence over any actual posts I make. These orders last until the end of this combat, or until I specifically state that they are expired.
07-06-2016, 10:44 AM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2016 06:49 AM by ICan'tGiveCredit.)
Chance tries his best to roll a natural one and exchanges it with one of the guards when he can. He does not attack the guard he partners up with. Except all the others.

07-10-2016, 05:48 AM (This post was last modified: 07-13-2016 04:32 PM by Vancho1.)
Clarification: EXP is only gained on a d20 action roll, so for example Chance's ability does not gain extra experience because its effect is random.

Battle!

Initiative Rolls:

Magnus: 1
Maxine: 14
Chance: 6
Torment: 12

Guard A: 17
Guard B: 8
Guard C: 5

Guard Stats:
HP: 6
Attack: 1
Equipment:
- Baton[4] - +1 Damage per hit. Loses 1 durability per hit.

Combat Order is: Guard A, Maxine, Torment, Guard B, Chance, Guard C, Magnus, interrupting actions.

Guard A attacks Chance! Guard A hits (18). Chance takes 2 damage.

Maxine attacks Guard A. Maxine hits! (10). Guard A takes 1 damage.

Torment attempts to escape his bonds. Torment is free! (17)

Guard B attacks Chance! Guard B hits(11). Chance takes 2 damage.

Chance's friend is Guard C. Chance attacks Guard B. Chance rolls a 1! Chance is lucky (100)! Chance exchanges the one with Torment (3). Torment is now tied up tightly! Chance hits guard B, dealing 1 damage.

Guard C attacks Torment! Guard C hits (18). Torment takes 2 damage.

Magnus attacks Guard A. Magnus hits (18)! Guard A takes 2 damage.

Interruptions occur!

Chrometallica charges and attempts to punch Guard B. Chrometallica hits (12)! Guard B takes 2 damage!

Combat orders may now be adjusted.

Guard Status:
A: HP: 3/6, Baton 3/4.
B: HP: 3/6, Baton 3/4
C: HP: 6/6, Baton 3/4

Ifrit can't find anywhere to hide in the corridor. The footsteps grow closer, and the glow of a torch appears at the end of the hallway. (6)

Avery crafts a flimsy shiv. It'll break immediately, but gives +2 damage on a hit (10).

Vyk finds an old stick. (8)

Limburr attempts to assist Taava, but the bars don't budge much. (9)

Taava, however, manages to finally get free. (11)

Event:

Ifrit is spotted by a patrolling guard. The guard shouts, "Stop right there!"

Living Players:

Limburr [SupahKiven]:
Skills:
Equipment:
- Iron Bar[5] - +1 to hit/+1 damage. Loses 1 durability per hit.

EXP: 6

Magic:
Blood School
Equipment:

HP: 6/10
Skills:

Equipment:

Dr. Wyrm [Anomaly]:
Skills:
Equipment:

Dame Maxine [Supernerd]
Skills:

Magic:
Holy School

Joseph Avery [Bramzter]
Skills:
Equipment:
- Guard Uniform - Looks surprisingly real.
- Guard Keyring - Probably has some of the keys to cells around here, maybe even other doors.
- Guard Baton[3] - +2 damage per hit. Loses 1 durability per hit.
- Rusty Shiv[1] - +2 damage on a hit, breaks immediately.

Vyk [RatStar]
Magic:
Shadow School
Equipment:
- Old Stick[2] - +1 damage per hit, loses 1 durability per hit.

Torment [Discord The Hedgehog]
Magic:
Dark School
- Raise Skeleton[5] - Raises a skeletal minion from a fallen enemy. Can only be used by dark mages.

EXP: 1

07-10-2016, 06:11 AM
Ifrit freezes and throws his hands up in the air as a sign of surrender. This is just a feint though, because as soon as that guard gets close enough they're getting blasted with Hellfire.

Tumblr/Steam
07-10-2016, 06:33 AM
The real Magnus Illkor continues bashing away, unless the guards gang up on him or something.
07-10-2016, 07:25 AM
Taava charges at the nearest guard, fearlessly attacking them with nothing but kicks and punches!

If any of his 'allies' fall below 2 Hp, he'll cast Zealous Heal on them to grant them a stay of execution.
07-10-2016, 08:13 AM
"So you guys ready to get the heck out of this place?"
07-10-2016, 08:37 AM
Maxine attempts to wrestle Guard A's baton away from it.
07-10-2016, 10:54 AM
"For hell." Limburr charges in after Taava, focusing on smashing Guard C with his iron bar. If it breaks, he switches to his stick. If that breaks, Limburr just uses his fists. If Guard C dies before combat is over, Limburr attacks the nearest one.