Battlefield of Blood and Honor [Accepting new players for the next round]
07-15-2016, 04:11 AM (This post was last modified: 07-15-2016 04:12 AM by Demonsul.)
RE: Battlefield of Blood and Honor
In the heart of Fort Saint Davis, the ground had been raised where dirt had been piled up during construction. The interior of the fort was the top of a hill, leveled off and surrounded by sheer, constructed cliffs back down to the ground. Though that meant the walls didn't provide artillery cover to the units behind them, it did mean that the Rathorians could easily shoot back, and shooting was what Rathorians did best.

A hollow boom echoed across the battlefield as the lone howitzer began to fire. No doubt it wouldn't stop until it was destroyed. Many enemy units had deployed behind what few rock formations blocked line of sight around the fortress - the howitzer would have loved to fire on the Prince's fragile Thunderchildren, but they were concealed behind the rocks. Instead it fired on the vanbreaker at the heart of the horde formation, suppressing the horde troops with reduced movement before they could break out their signature charge. The lone vanbreaker itself was blown apart, after what was no doubt an admirable attempt to parry a howitzer shell with its mace.

Although nothing else was yet in range, the support units of the garrison rushed to action, digging entrenchments on the inside of the fort for when the walls were breached and moving the Heavy Cannon to the other side of the fort, where it may actually be able to fire on the thick-armored Gran rather than wasting it on the horde. Troops ran to and fro, positioning themselves for the coming battle. Perhaps as something of a surprise, the Armsmen in the southwest tower fired on the abandoned tower outside the walls with the tower's mounted weapons, trying to weaken it so as to deny it to the enemy. The tower guards also helped out in firing at any abandoned towers in range, but the effect was not as significant.

The artifact was kept in reserve. No point wasting its power until the greatest threat was identified.

[Turn Taken]
07-15-2016, 04:54 AM
As the first shot was fired, the Farfire forces broke apart at a signal from the tairan blademaster at its head, himself and the Marathi priests and warriors leading the charge towards the fortress, each of them breaking into a fierce battlecry as their serpentine forms slithered closer to their goal, shields at the ready even though they were as of yet out of range of those infernal guns the Rathurians employed.

Meanwhile, the massive black hydra advances alongside the army, accompanied closely by a guard of four mounted knights on their predatory lizards. Several of the hydra's head are turned towards the Harghkan Horde, glowering at them from afar while they were still recovering from the Rathurian artillery, as if it dared the Horde to come and challenge it.
07-15-2016, 05:04 AM
The horde's forces are greatly shocked by the explosion in their midst. The warleaders and their elite vanbreakers look unsteady, and the battering ram's porters drop the heavy instrument in fear. Those farther away from the hit, however, surge forward, ready to tear into those who dared attack the Horde.

The one, the only, Vancho!
07-15-2016, 05:39 AM
The Prince grins. The Rathorian scum had managed to hold onto their remaining howitzer after all, but the smoke from its shot both indicated they were more focused on the horde and that his thunderchilds were indeed positioned wisely. It was a frustrating situation, to be sure, as though the Rathorian artillery was indeed pathetic in force it was the only tangible ranged threat to the superior Harbaach weapons. They would enjoy their advantage, for now.

Zadovir raises his blade, signaling the start of the charge. The siege tower, linesmen, and blade golems begin their slow charge against the walls, and under the cover of the living wall his weapons slowly bring themselves to bear. It wouldn't be long before the Rathorians had even their ranged advantage denied.
07-15-2016, 10:06 AM
The Gran march slowly forward in unison, followed closely by the ever present Rotter Bugs. The Brutes eye the stones and rocks ahead for potential ammunition. It would only be a matter of time before they get close enough to strike, though as eager as they were they slowed down just enough for the bugs to keep up.
07-15-2016, 11:00 AM (This post was last modified: 07-15-2016 11:00 AM by Demonsul.)
The bombardment of the abandoned towers continued, entrenchments were dug, troops moved around, and the Heavy Cannon was moved up to the Gatehouse where it could fire by the truck. And fire it did, blowing a chunk out of one of the Gran Brutes. Meanwhile, the howitzer turned its gaze north, firing on the Soulweavers as they advanced, pinning them and their nearby allies down under a hail of shells.

The lone Steam Tank rolled out of the east gate, moving to cover behind the rock formation as it planned its offensive on the horde advancing rapidly on the east side. Hopefully it could ward them away - maybe the barbarians would turn on their rivals and be dissuaded from striking by the metal behemoth...

[Turn Taken]
07-15-2016, 11:03 AM (This post was last modified: 07-15-2016 11:09 AM by Demonsul.)
Also, I propose we establish some map conventions to stop confusion and make life easier. From now on, let's highlight units we shot with red (so other players can see what we damaged) for them to turn back to black on their turn once they've taken note, same way I've been doing with status effects. Let's also keep the cells of our units colored like our deployment zones so we know who is on which team.
07-15-2016, 11:24 AM
I think that instead of changing the cell color we should change the text color. Otherwise it makes a mess of the tile effects and stuff.
07-15-2016, 11:27 AM
I don't think there's a red tile effect?
07-15-2016, 11:48 AM
As long as we dont change the tile color of tiles that actually have effects when we move onto them, it shouldnt be a problem. Its just for clarity's sake, after all - presumably we wont have entire armies standing on tiles with effects.
07-15-2016, 11:59 AM (This post was last modified: 07-15-2016 12:02 PM by chimericWilder.)
One of the soulweavers falls under the bombardment, his broken body flung through the air like a ragdoll following an explosion where he had previously stood. As the charred corpse came to a rest, the beastly transformations that had plagued him in life - most notably a coating of uneven, white fur and a pair of twisted antlers upon his brow - began to fall away, disintegrating into dust on the wind and leaving only a mangled human corpse behind. Another one of the soulweavers, a man with bony spines in place of hair, knelt down beside the corpse, folding his hands over his comrade's chest as if in prayer. Seeing this, the few Marathi warriors who had been watching turn away, as if in disgust.

The rest of the army, meanwhile, marches onwards.
07-15-2016, 12:18 PM
The horde continues to surge forward, with their raiders maneuvering around to try and find an advantageous positioning.

[Turn Taken]

07-15-2016, 12:28 PM
The prince wordlessly motions his Nemean forward as the linesmen and artillery march forward. Looking at the steam clouds from outside the fort, he realizes that yet another one of the Rathorian's devestating weapons can also be brought to bear, and then issues a silent command.

Meanwhile, one of the linesmen units and the prince's elite guard move somewhat behind the artillery cover provided.

[Turn taken]
07-15-2016, 12:36 PM (This post was last modified: 07-15-2016 01:16 PM by Supernerd.)
The Gran Brute reels from the explosive armor piercing round shot from the cannon, yet remains steadfast towards achieving its gruesome objectives. The Gran march ever closer to the fortress. One of the brutes runs ahead with a large boulder in its hands, and prepares to return the favor.

[Turn Taken]

(How much bigger does a unit have to be than another unit to not take discipline damage? I am not sure if the brute should have lost discipline or not. I also read something about ranged attacks not reducing discipline in the first post)

Edit: Ranged units cannot move and shoot
07-15-2016, 12:37 PM
The discipline rules were changed to make armies of small units stronger, but the first post was never updated. Anyway, I'll take my turn now.
07-15-2016, 12:52 PM
Apologies, keeping track of all the little rules that make up this kind of thing is rather difficult, though the first post has seen *some* updates, including that you cannot both move and perform a ranged attack (you can move and perform a melee attack, though)

A unit would not take discipline damage if it had 3x or more USC than the attacking stack, so the gun should deal discipline damage, but you shouldnt yet be able to retaliate against it
07-15-2016, 01:15 PM (This post was last modified: 07-15-2016 01:16 PM by Supernerd.)
My bad then. I was not aware of that particular rule change.

Also, I was not paying enough attention to that cannon. Did it also move and shoot?
07-15-2016, 01:17 PM (This post was last modified: 07-15-2016 01:17 PM by Demonsul.)
It was moved and shot, making use of the special ability of the truck. It didn't move itself. (That is more or less the whole reason I made the trucks.)
07-15-2016, 01:17 PM
Also since apparently everyone is in favor of ranged attacks being orthogonal same as movement, i guess thats another rule we're changing.
07-15-2016, 01:35 PM
The howitzer turned its fire on the linesmen of the Prince, shelling them with abandon. The heavy cannon was pulled back and fired again, though to be safe it was pulled back far enough that it could only be fire at the nearest brute. The Lens was brought to bear, freezing the Stormchilds of the Prince. The Steam Tank rode out to battle. A trench was dug. Guard towers pinged small arms fire around to very little effect.

[Turn Taken]
07-15-2016, 02:09 PM
The Horde's raiders ran away from the frightening metal monstrosity, while the other group engaged the Scaleriders, to a poor result. Meanwhile the Marauders reached the fortress's gatehouse and began hacking away at the door with their axes.

[Turn Taken]

07-15-2016, 02:12 PM
The linesmen scream as two of them are killed on the spot, with a third bleeding heavily. His two comrades move to help him up while the prince screams at his forces to march on. He turns to the thunderchilds when they fail to follow his orders only to see the magical freezing. Surprisingly, he grins instead of cursing further, knowing that his prize was truly something worth any losses he might suffer.
07-15-2016, 02:58 PM
Could we get every single rule change to be on the first post? I don't get how the game works.
07-15-2016, 02:59 PM
I think the no ranged attacks after movement (sans Sul's frustrating trucks) is actually there.
07-15-2016, 03:01 PM
This is why i suggested you join us on skype. It helps figure misunderstandings out.

Which rules are unclear?
07-15-2016, 03:09 PM (This post was last modified: 07-15-2016 03:16 PM by Supernerd.)
For one thing, I am not entirely sure how diagonal attacks work.
I am also unsure about the order of operations when calculating damage. Does defense factor in before or after double damage from type advantage?
07-15-2016, 03:11 PM
The gran continue their advance, save for the one Brute within striking range who hurls a large rock at the western gatehouse of the Fortress, splintering wood and cracking rock.

[turn end]
07-15-2016, 03:38 PM
Diagonal attacks arent a thing - a melee stack needs to be standing either horizontally or vertially next to another melee stack for them to be able to attack one another. Ranged unit range is now counted tile by tile, so hitting a diagonal tile at range costs twice as much range.
07-16-2016, 09:24 AM
What rules are there for angled attacks? Like, what if there is an obstacle between two units and one unit had enough range for the projectile to go all the way around?

My current recommendation is that attacks should have a set pattern consisting of no more than two directions, one of which only shows up in the pattern once. So an attack can do diagonal with (up > left) or just a bit to the side with (up > up > up > up > left) but cannot make crazy turns such as (up > up > up > left > left > left)
07-16-2016, 09:49 AM
Well yes, ofcourse. If you can draw a straight line between the attacking unit and the target without the line intersecting anything that would block ranged attacks (which right now is only black tiles, and to a lesser degree my steelbreakers) then the attack is legit.
07-16-2016, 11:10 AM
Entrenchments were dug. Watchtowers pinged small arms fire at whoever they could see. A volley of rifle fire from atop the wall cleaned up a whole squad of seven marauders, the heavy cannon fired on the brute, and the howitzer kept on shelling the remaining three linesmen in the stack until they lay dead. Troops moved and repositioned. The steam tank flanked forward, engaging the bloodmages behind the horde's main push, almost destroying the unit but suffering a curse in the process.

[Turn Taken]
07-16-2016, 12:03 PM
The kyrantian knights who had been attacked by with the outriders of the Harghkan Horde respond by briefly disengaging, then circling around the outriders, denying them their escape while the great black hydra and another contingent of knights closed in from both sides, ready to crush the raiders between them.
07-17-2016, 05:25 AM
The Horde's charge continues, with another group of marauders charging at the gates. Encouraged by their warleader, they whip themselves into a frenzy and tear the wood to pieces, shredding the defense and leaving the way open for the Horde to advance.

Meanwhile, the bloodmages retreat into the safety of the lumbering battering ram, and the raiders who had been encircled skirmish through the enemy cavalry and retreat.

[Turn Taken]

07-17-2016, 08:05 AM
Prince Zadovir pulls behind cover and waves towards his troops behind him. A unit of his soldiers had already fallen, but he was more than prepared for the losses - and with the Horder and Gran apparently running down the Rathorian forces perhaps they'd be afforded some cover from the bombardment hitting them.
07-17-2016, 08:27 AM
The Gran forced march ever closer to the fortress. It would only be a matter of time before they reached the walls. Sturdy though they may be, they would not hold up against the Gran for very long.

[End Turn]
07-17-2016, 08:46 AM
Also, the GM has informed me that the Gran Brute's special ability is actually something that all units can do already. Would anyone object to it being changed to "This unit spends 1 less movement to cross rough terrain (minimum of 1)"?
07-17-2016, 08:48 AM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2016 08:49 AM by Demonsul.)
The pounding of howitzer shells turned once again east, trying to repel the horde before they could get through the breach. The shattered gates turned into a killing field as troops rushed to reinforce the damaged front, pouring fire into the enemies there. The heavy cannon was hurriedly towed back out of range of the Brutes' boulders before firing upon them once more, the watchtowers continued firing at whatever they could see, and the steam tank moved rapidly around to strike from a different angle.

[Turn Taken]

EDIT: That change is fine by me SN
07-17-2016, 09:35 AM
Yeah I see no problem with it, it wouldn't affect the battle either way as far as I'm aware.
07-17-2016, 09:45 AM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2016 09:46 AM by chimericWilder.)
The kyrantian knights promptly turned and charged after the retreating raiders, utilizing the burst of speed their reptilian mounts were known for to quickly close upon the raiders, then leaping ontop of their mounts like a wild predator might do to its prey, viciously sinking their claws into the flesh of the animals to drag them to the ground. In the same instant, the knights strike with their lances, well-used to this unconventional form of attack. The result is a quick and unceremonious tumble to the ground, followed by the summary execution of the single rider who did not take a lance through the chest.

Meanwhile, the rest of the Farfire forces are still moving into position.

@SN Seems like a fine enough change. Sure.
07-17-2016, 09:47 AM
All hostile forces are cool with it, so I am now updating their ability in my post. (And adding a line in their description to make it more obvious that they throw rocks)
07-18-2016, 08:55 AM
The Horde's forces rush into the breach, though the howitzer's blast keeps them from engaging.

[Turn Taken]

07-18-2016, 09:19 AM
Zadovir raises his shield and orders the charge to begin. The thunderchilds move from cover at the same moment the linesmen and siege tower move for the gatehouse. He had seen the Horde entering the fortress and the Gran drawing too close for comfort and would not be denied his prize.
07-18-2016, 10:41 AM
The Gran forces march ever closer to the fortress. One of the brutes hurls a boulder at one of the Watchtowers, downing it with a single shot. Another brute charges at the western gatehouse, single-handedly breaking through it in a horrifying display of brute strength. Staring upon the Rathorian forces, the Gran looks as mad as hell and twice as ugly!

[end turn]
07-20-2016, 08:15 AM (This post was last modified: 07-20-2016 08:15 AM by Demonsul.)
After an artillery barrage softened up the intended target, the steam tank charged straight through the heart of the horde's formation, crushing troops beneath its spiked wheels and sending axemen fleeing until they too were caught and churned beneath its wheels. Fire poured down from the walls, cutting down another horde of marauders, as the troops prepared for the enemy charge.

Noonfrost was turned west, against the breaching brute, whilst rapid redeployment towed the vulnerable artillery out from the range of enemy weapons. The Rathorian army had yet to take a human casualty, but the window of safety was rapidly closing - the gatehouses of Fort Saint Davis were already breached on two sides, and the Stormchildren of the Prince were in range of the third...

[Turn Taken]
07-20-2016, 10:42 AM
The soulweavers at the back of the Farfire column stop short, raising their arms as if to reach towards the marathi suncallers further up the line, and as they do, thick ropes of ephemeral energy coil towards the serpentine men, lighting them aflame with an inner radiance that seems to make their skin - or scales, as it were - glow with the flickering light of a flame uncontained. For their part, the suncallers gather around in a circle, arms outstretched as they look skywards, towards the sun, chanting some tribal ritual as they sway back and forth with the tune of the building crescendo of the chant, until, as one, they raise their arms to the skies, and a column of fire descends from the skies like a tempest storm, washing over the group of rathorian riflemen who were taking cover behind the walls and burning them to cinders - all of them but one, lone man.

[Turn 6 Taken]
07-21-2016, 04:30 PM
The Horde scatters at the sight of the steam tank, though their bloodmages work their dark magic on the steel beast and make its fearsome attacks weaker. The two warleaders rush forward, and one of them cleaves through a lone rifleman despite being heavily injured.

[done]

07-21-2016, 05:29 PM
For a while there was silence from Fort Saint Davis' southern walls, far different from the screams of the marauders as they were caught between the Rathorians and Farfire attacks, or the grunts and crashes of the Gran pushing through the west. That peaceful silence was suddenly shattered however, as the southern gatehouse vanished in twin flashes of light, leaving behind ruin and, apparently, Prince Zavodir astride his bronze bull. He grinned, and a second shudder was heard as his siege towers reached the fortress walls, allowing his elite guardsmen to pour over and into the fort as well.

[Turn complete]
07-22-2016, 08:09 AM
The Gran Knights hurl themselves against the fortress walls as they finally get within striking range, more for self satisfaction than any kind of strategical advantage as the western gatehouse has already been breached, and are joined by the Rotter Bugs who can smell the human meat on the other side of the wall. The injured brute takes note of the cannons position and steps to the south, still in firing range but attacking the brute would risk a counterattack from the brute that had broke down the gate who is currently frozen...

[turn end]
07-23-2016, 02:48 PM
The future was looking bleak, but the hearts of Rathurian men were stoic and sure. Even after the remnants 4th battalion went up in flames, leaving only charred bones, the defenders did not relent. Watchtower fire slew a badly injured warlord, while troops rushed to defend from enemies swarming in from three sides while being mindful of enemy artillery fire. The heavy cannon ceased fire against the Gran for the first time, instead firing on the mounted princeling storming the gatehouse to the south. Damage inflicted wasn't too high, but with shells targeting enemies already inside the fort out of desperate necessity and the towed weapons being squeezed into the trenches, time was running out.

But the Rathurians would not give up their prize without a serious fight.

[Turn Taken]
07-23-2016, 09:54 PM
The great black hydra charges at the unprotected Harghkan mages, heads lashing out in a furious sequence of attacks that leaves one bloodmage dead, and the other wounded and bleeding.

Elsewhere, the tairan blademaster issues a silent order through a gesture, and the marathi forces move out again.

[Turn 7 Taken]