In Progress Hope Rides On - Chapter Three: Gentle is the Night
12-12-2017, 03:21 PM
RE: Hope Rides On - Chapter Three: Gentle is the Night
Jay frowned, then looked outside, then said a word a priest really shouldn't say. He went out and started making sure everyone was inside a cabin, Dolph taken care of first. Then, he started doing a role call between the cabins to make sure everyone was here and inside safely. Stomping busily through the mud.

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
12-12-2017, 05:04 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2017 05:04 PM by Vancho1.)
Theresa goes to help Rowan dig.

"Good idea! It would be a shame to have built these cabins and have them be flooded by the rain."

She looks a bit scandalized by Father Jay's cuss word though.

The one, the only, Vancho!
12-12-2017, 05:16 PM
Coyote is going to help Rowan dig some ditches.
12-20-2017, 06:24 PM
Coyote, Theresa and Rowan begin their digging! Copper Teeth Pete, Doc Val and El Dolor spend their nothin-time noticing Arleen sliding her fingers up between Allie's and clutching her hand. Al Father Jay confirms everyone except the diggers are safe in their cabins!

Catherine's eyes go wide as someone speaks to her for the first time in months. She smiles to Flo and Molly. "Oh!! I'm... I'm doing okay. I'm still really scared, and I don't know why I was asleep for all those weeks, but I'm trying to keep it togeth----"

She is cut off by a massive creaking-cracking sound. Dust rises in the distance, even through the rain, in the direction of the water.
12-22-2017, 01:41 AM
Oh.

Oh, that can't be good. Flo's head jerks towards the sound, her eyes wide as she stares at it.

"What-- ah. What's that? Mister Valentine...? We ain't expectin' visitors." Her gaze travels to Molly, and then Catherine. "Thinkin' we gotta go."
12-23-2017, 02:02 PM
Theresa climbs out of the ditch and watches the dust.

"O Lord, let these travelers mean us no harm,
shelter us from evil, and deliver us from sin."

12-23-2017, 04:02 PM
"Might be Confederates. Or Mormons," Valentine said.

He'd go check it out.

A fine opportunity to shoot some people!
12-27-2017, 02:14 AM
Flo is also going to poke her head out when Mister Valentine advances, gently asking Catherine to stay behind. Bigshot will never get to talk to Catherine EVER.
12-27-2017, 07:20 AM
"Its likely just a fallen tree thats all, swept down in this delude." Jay barked over the storm, but he'd head out near the caravans to keep a look out anyway, see what Valentine reports back.

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
12-28-2017, 06:51 AM
Allie got herself a good hand hold, but the other patted her side, ensuring she had her piece on her. And a knife. Ol Allie Six Knives might be the required Allie today. She rolled her shoulder carefully, hoping she wouldn’t need it today. “... Flo, Catherine, Molly, why don’t we just... get ready to get moving? In case it’s that sort of day...”
01-08-2018, 08:48 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2018 09:03 PM by Protoman.)
Catherine shakes her head. "I... I feel like I gotta go. There's something pulling me out there..." She follows after Flo, tugging on her sleeve. "Please. Take me with you..."

The group finds nothing in the immediate vicinity.

The dust ceases in the distance, but the noise drones on, steady and inhuman. It is not violent, not wrathful, but calm, menacing.

"Kkkkkriicckokoko-ko-ko-kok-k-keehhh..."

Whatever it is, it's getting closer. The noise is beginning to ring all around you. You get the feeling that if you don't journey out to confront it, it will be upon you, and all that you've worked toward over the past few weeks may be for nothing...
01-09-2018, 01:25 AM
Yeah, alright! Flo starts out with Catherine on her sleeve, laying a gentle hand on the girl's shoulder.

"No worries, Miss Catherine, we'll go out and see it together, yeah? Ain't no reason for you to go out alone no more. Does it feel bad?" She frowns at the droning. glancing back at whoever might be near. "Feels kinda bad t'me..."
01-09-2018, 02:05 AM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2018 02:06 AM by Corn.)
Allie... didn’t like the sound of that. Her expression turned grim, and she stood, patting her pocket with her free arm. Gun? There, good. “... Yes. Let’s see what it is this time. I don’t think it feels well either, but... better facing it together.”

She looked over her shoulder at Arleen. “You coming too? I’m not letting the girls go out there themselves.”
01-09-2018, 02:09 AM
Valentine was definitely going!

He drew his pistols.
01-09-2018, 04:29 AM
Theresa turns to Carmen.

"Carmen, I have a duty to you. I do not want you to fight in your condition, so if you want me to stay here with you, I will stay. Otherwise I must go."

01-09-2018, 12:44 PM
Rowan wiped rain and sweat out of his eyes as he puts down his makeshift shovel and stares out towards the sound.

"Reckon that's a problem. Should of figured."

He goes inside, grabs his pistols, derringers, and a knife, putting them in his coat. He looks over anyone remaining behind.

"You folks staying should grab the shotguns and rifles, in case the worst happens. They're unlikely to do us much good out in this rain."

With that, he heads back outside and joins the others checking out whatever was approaching.
01-13-2018, 04:32 AM
Jay dithered a bit by the door. He was hardly a soldier, anymore anyway. Well, he couldn't sit inside whilst the others went out and faced it. What if it was something awful? Jay followed outside, praying internally that it would all work out.