In Progress Hope Rides On - Chapter Three: Gentle is the Night
09-08-2016, 12:40 PM
RE: Hope Rides On - Chapter One: East of Eden
(09-08-2016 12:27 PM)Pagan Wrote:  "Of course I can't dear," not losing her optimism, Amy walks closer to Carmen, "I don't want to take anything from you."

She looks at her feet for a moment and kicks some sand, before speaking more directly.

"So, if the caravaneer dies... How do you suppose we'd get to Eden?"

"'M not like Theresa, sister! What, you think all us nuns are the same? I don't live in Fairy Tale Land! There's no Eden. It's a damned fool's errand. I'm content with drinkin' myself into a stupor until that sun finally goes and sets for me."
09-08-2016, 12:47 PM
"So you'll just let him die?"

Amy sighed, a very deep sigh, and shook her head in clear disapproval.

"And you don't care if you die then?"

She took a couple steps down the dune, careful and deliberate in her footing.

"But you want to keep drinking until you do, right?"

Working Name: Anarkismo
09-08-2016, 12:48 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2016 12:58 PM by Protoman.)
"All've you can find some other way to fix him! You don't gotta take away my one comfort in the world!"

(09-08-2016 12:32 PM)Corn Wrote:  "Thanks a bundle," Allie replied. She wondered if she'd find the habit less odd if passing through plumes didn't nearly kill her. At least it was convenient enough. She struck the match and attempted to start the fire.

The fire lights without much struggle at all!

19 matches left!
09-08-2016, 12:54 PM
Valentine took his box of matches back, sticking them in his pocket.

"Yet another benefit of smoking," said Valentine, amused, as he waited for the saltwater.
09-08-2016, 12:54 PM
"We can't all suffer for your benefit Carmen. I want to help you, but you need to help yourself." Amanda kept walking forward, not moving too much at once, or too fast.

"I don't want you to hurt anymore. I won't steal your booze, I need you to trust me Carmen."

09-08-2016, 12:55 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2016 12:56 PM by Corn.)
Yes! Allie smiled, and quickly grabbed the pot and poured some water in. Not a ton, but enough she hoped would get the job done and allow for some to boil off. She set the pot up above the fire, and left to grab a measure of salt.
09-08-2016, 12:57 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2016 12:58 PM by Protoman.)
(09-08-2016 12:54 PM)Pagan Wrote:  "We can't all suffer for your benefit Carmen. I want to help you, but you need to help yourself." Amanda kept walking forward, not moving too much at once, or too fast.

"I don't want you to hurt anymore. I won't steal your booze, I need you to trust me Carmen."

"T' hell with you! I'll come back when you're done tryin' to pry into my stash!"

She turns and dashes.

Meanwhile, back at camp:

It didn't take long for the water to rise to a boil. Books sure were good kindling!

Probably not the best thought process to found your new society on, but hey.

Simultaneously, Bart approaches Coyote and Rowan.

"Signorina, Signore, you performed most valiantly! If I had the money, learning, or talent required to play an instrument, the songs I would sing of your valor would be most magnificent! Excellent work! Ah, and Pete... You did not hit your head, yes?"
09-08-2016, 12:59 PM
Amanda has no choice but to follow suit, chasing after Carmen.

09-08-2016, 01:02 PM
(09-08-2016 12:59 PM)Pagan Wrote:  Amanda has no choice but to follow suit, chasing after Carmen.

Carmen pulls ahead quite quickly! Soon enough, she's completely out of sight.
09-08-2016, 01:15 PM
Coyote basks in the glory of the praise. What a vain lady.
09-08-2016, 01:20 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2016 01:20 PM by Palamedes.)
"Thanks Barty, though I was definitely a major player I like to think it was a team effort. Speaking of..." Rowan squints and looks over the group. "Where'd Amanda and Carmen go?" He shrugs. Amanda had her plans and Carmen had her booze (that he really could have used right now). He instead heads towards the medic group.

"Damn, looks bad. Glad you're here doc. Need any help?"
09-08-2016, 01:20 PM
Molly smiles and turns her head to Miss Martha Mailer. "I dunno if that was courage more so than fear of losing more people to this new world... I was damn near pissin myself with this thing... Good thing I didn though, that would've wasted more water."

She then sighs and frowns.

"Wont do no good though if Mr. Caraveener dies..."
09-08-2016, 01:27 PM
"Well, it has to be somewhere around here." Amanda heads back to the wagons, to begin the process of looking through them, thoroughly. First, of course, she'd let her concerns be known. The group probably heard the exchange.

"If any of you want to help intervene, now would be the time to speak up. She can't have stored the alcohol anywhere but these wagons, she had been asleep when we got here."

She climbed into the food cart, starting a careful and systematic search of the space.

09-08-2016, 02:39 PM
Theresa breathed a sigh of relief. She saw that the Caravaneer was in good hands with Doc Valentine, and left him to do his work. She searched for her Bible and called out to the group.

"Everyone, I'm going to have a short prayer to thank the Lord for everyone surviving that beast, and to ask Him for guidance and protection on the way ahead. If you want to pray with me, you're welcome to join me."

So she went to a secluded part of the caravan to start praying.

The one, the only, Vancho!
09-09-2016, 02:03 PM
Valentine, with saltwater, cloth, and a splint present, got to work on patching up the Caravaneer.

"Hold him down if he wakes up," Valentine said to Rowan.
09-09-2016, 02:51 PM
(09-08-2016 01:20 PM)pail Wrote:  Molly smiles and turns her head to Miss Martha Mailer. "I dunno if that was courage more so than fear of losing more people to this new world... I was damn near pissin myself with this thing... Good thing I didn though, that would've wasted more water."

She then sighs and frowns.

"Wont do no good though if Mr. Caraveener dies..."

"Sounds like courage to me. All courage really is is the strength to help others when you'd rather cry like a baby." She nods towards Trent, a joking smirk on her face.

"He isn't gonna die, sweetheart. The Doc and Allie know what they're doin'. You just hold tight, little miss."

(09-08-2016 01:27 PM)Pagan Wrote:  "Well, it has to be somewhere around here." Amanda heads back to the wagons, to begin the process of looking through them, thoroughly. First, of course, she'd let her concerns be known. The group probably heard the exchange.

"If any of you want to help intervene, now would be the time to speak up. She can't have stored the alcohol anywhere but these wagons, she had been asleep when we got here."

She climbed into the food cart, starting a careful and systematic search of the space.

There's no alcohol to be found amidst the supplies. So far as you can tell, the food cart is dry as a bone.

(09-08-2016 02:39 PM)Vancho1 Wrote:  Theresa breathed a sigh of relief. She saw that the Caravaneer was in good hands with Doc Valentine, and left him to do his work. She searched for her Bible and called out to the group.

"Everyone, I'm going to have a short prayer to thank the Lord for everyone surviving that beast, and to ask Him for guidance and protection on the way ahead. If you want to pray with me, you're welcome to join me."

So she went to a secluded part of the caravan to start praying.

Theresa kneels to pray alone. The moment she begins her incantations and chants, she is dumbstruck by a ray of light. A voice fills her ears:

...fraught with danger...
...hope...
next horizon...
danger

hardship
So long as you don't...
Eden awaits.

The light vanishes. The voice disappears. You're back in the desert.

(09-09-2016 02:03 PM)Cidellus Wrote:  Valentine, with saltwater, cloth, and a splint present, got to work on patching up the Caravaneer.

"Hold him down if he wakes up," Valentine said to Rowan.

The surgery goes well! The caravaneer wakes up minutes after his wound is healed. "I... God, what happened to me?" He tries to lift his arm and winces in pain.
09-09-2016, 02:54 PM
"You were wounded in action by a most formidable foe," smirked Valentine. "Far as I can tell you should be fine, provided you keep it clean."
09-09-2016, 03:16 PM
Molly smiles widely and nods at Miss Martha, trying to not giggle and failing miserably at her joke.
09-09-2016, 04:08 PM
Amy heads to the next wagon, repeating the search process.

09-09-2016, 08:10 PM
"Don't think I hit my head. Not since the last time I done did it. Done did it. Done did it."

Pete's eye twitches with the last couple of repetitions.

"What're we talkin' about? Oh yeah! I say we fry the critter in some corn bread crumbs! First we gotta find some corn, though... Hmmm, might tough dilemma, ain't it..."
09-10-2016, 08:52 AM
Theresa sat mouth agape, as if she had been struck by a thunderbolt. She sat for a long while, contemplating what she had heard. Was it the voice of God speaking to her? Or was it the insidious Satan, tempting her with false promises and lies? She didn't know, and was hesitant to tell the others. They probably wouldn't believe her, and if it indeed was the prince of lies who had sent her the message, she would be leading them astray...

Eventually, she decided that she would not make a big deal of it. She felt that Jesus would guide them through the hardship, and that she'd keep the hope and push them forward. After all, if it was a message from God, that would be His will.

Theresa returned to camp, solemn and silent, still going over the words in her head.

09-10-2016, 03:31 PM
(09-09-2016 02:54 PM)Cidellus Wrote:  "You were wounded in action by a most formidable foe," smirked Valentine. "Far as I can tell you should be fine, provided you keep it clean."

"Christ almighty... We need to leave those barrels behind. Burn 'em if we can. Whatever was in that water, I want nothin' to do with it. Maybe create a list of who drank from it and keep an eye on 'em to make sure they're all alright."

He glances at his arm. "I'm... not gonna be able to drive the cart like this. We need someone else to take the helm. Any volunteers?"

(09-09-2016 03:16 PM)pail Wrote:  Molly smiles widely and nods at Miss Martha, trying to not giggle and failing miserably at her joke.

"You've just gotta give yourself more credit, Kiddo. I wouldn't have been able to handle the load you've been given at your age. My sister was always runnin' around like a chicken with her head cut off, she was so curious about the world. I'd hardly have been able to keep her safe the way you've kept Lizzie and Trent. Keep your chin up, Molly."

(09-09-2016 04:08 PM)Pagan Wrote:  Amy heads to the next wagon, repeating the search process.

Your search of the meat-drying cart comes up similarly empty!

(09-09-2016 08:10 PM)Kocel Wrote:  "Don't think I hit my head. Not since the last time I done did it. Done did it. Done did it."

Pete's eye twitches with the last couple of repetitions.

"What're we talkin' about? Oh yeah! I say we fry the critter in some corn bread crumbs! First we gotta find some corn, though... Hmmm, might tough dilemma, ain't it..."

The creature continues dissolving before them, turning into a fine paste. Pete better act fast!
09-10-2016, 03:33 PM
El Dolor triumphantly strode toward the Caravaneer, still absolutely covered in monster guts.

"Worry not, dear Caravaneer! This wagon will be driven... by EL DOLOR!"

El Dolor struck a ridiculous pose as he said his own... name? Title? Who knows.
09-10-2016, 05:15 PM
"Dagnabbit, it's gonna be too juicy now!"

Pete walks off, grumbling about 'dang meltin' snails' and 'don't know how them Frenchies eat 'em' as he resumes panning for gold nearby.
09-10-2016, 05:48 PM
Rowan looks over at El Dolor, then back at the Caraveener. "We can take shifts, boss."
09-10-2016, 06:25 PM
"Yea, a single person don't have to take the entirety of the night."
09-11-2016, 11:12 AM
Molly grinned and stood up nodding at Miss Martha. "Thank you Miss Martha Mailer, that really cheered me up. If you say I'm doing well then i must be!"
09-11-2016, 11:17 AM
"Hm," Valentine said, getting up.

He'd drank from the pond.

Well fuck.

He shrugged and, provided the Caravaneer needed no other help, went to go hang out on one of the wagons. Maybe read a book, if the Librarian Lady would let him.
09-11-2016, 12:20 PM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2016 12:22 PM by Protoman.)
The Caravaneer nods at Rowan. "That sounds like a good idea. Lemme explain how things are gonna be to everyone else." He takes a stand on the back of the sleep wagon and speaks as loud as he can with a cracked rib. "Alright, folks. Here's the plan: I'm gonna choose how shifts are gonna go on the lead cart. Doesn't matter much who takes up the second and third carts, so long as they're able to follow decently."

"Rowan, you're going to take first shift. Coyote, you follow up after him. Sister, you'll take third shift. Molly'll take it up after that. Then rinse, wash and repeat. I'll be sittin' in the Sleep Cart till my arm's healed up enough to hold the reins, so if you've got questions, just ask. El Dolor, you can take a supervisory position up on cart number three. Gotta have some eyes on our trail to make sure we're not curvin' off road, right?"
09-11-2016, 12:39 PM
"We're leavin'? Dagnabbit, didn't find any gold here... Just like the last danged oasis! Deserts, I tells ya, deserts!"

Pete stands, taking his sifting pan, and, after, waving his pickaxe angrily at a sand dune, goes to situate himself in one of the rear wagons to start shining Huckleberry up.
09-11-2016, 02:21 PM
Seeing that only the sleep cart was left, Amy felt good about taking time to collect bones and build a 2 metre tall pile of bones, grabbing the shell to point toward the travel heading. The liquor could wait, but this was pressing.

09-11-2016, 02:33 PM
Theresa nodded at the Caravaneer's instructions.

"Got it. I pray for your swift recovery."

09-11-2016, 03:26 PM
Allie frowned, and turned to look at Leech. Leech took in an awful lot of water. She'd have to watch her carefully. She went to the oasis and dumped out her canteen (damn it) before heading back to her wagon. "Oh, hey Doc. Hitching a ride?"

The girl walked around to Leech and patted her gently, taking a good look to see if there was anything funky in her eyes. Poor girl.
09-11-2016, 03:46 PM
"Yea, that seems acceptable. You sure you gonna be alright?"
09-11-2016, 03:47 PM
"That I am, if I should be so allowed," Valentine nodded. "A wagon filled with knowledge is typically far more interesting than one filled with dry meat."
09-11-2016, 03:51 PM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2016 04:28 PM by Corn.)
"No." Allie replied, curt. She shrugged, what do you do? Patting Leech a final time, she hopped up into her wagon. Untying her mask, she revealed the sort of grin that denotes a Big Ol Liar, and chuckles quietly as she beat the dust out of it. "Just pulling your leg. As long as you don't plan on hosting the Dune Gala, I think Leech can handle someone else onboard. Just fold the corner if ya find anything useful, when I get the chance past sleeping and leading Leech I want to condense all those down into some notes we can actually use. Much as I'm attached, these things just weigh too much."
09-11-2016, 04:25 PM
(09-11-2016 11:12 AM)pail Wrote:  Molly grinned and stood up nodding at Miss Martha. "Thank you Miss Martha Mailer, that really cheered me up. If you say I'm doing well then i must be!"

"Good on you, kid. Just keep your head held high." Martha wandered off to the meatdrying cart to take an inventory of the meat.

Lizzie approached Molly next. "What... What the hurlin' heck WAS that thing?!"

(09-11-2016 03:46 PM)Acolyte Doctor Wrote:  "Yea, that seems acceptable. You sure you gonna be alright?"

"I can only hope. I got faith in the doc. He's never done us wrong before... Never done much right, but he's never done anything wrong either." His tone made it clear he was joking.

(09-11-2016 02:21 PM)Pagan Wrote:  Seeing that only the sleep cart was left, Amy felt good about taking time to collect bones and build a 2 metre tall pile of bones, grabbing the shell to point toward the travel heading. The liquor could wait, but this was pressing.

She succeeds! The pile of bones is created.
09-11-2016, 04:48 PM
"My pleasure," Valentine nodded, jumping up into the wagon to read books. "Thank you kindly, Leech, for your willingness to take aboard another passenger."
09-12-2016, 07:48 AM
Amy nods, pleased with her work, and begins sketching the area from the top of a nearby dune. She'll add, on the next page, a sketch of the pile, a warning of the ghoul and a note of the Caravaneer's choice to dump the water.

09-12-2016, 11:42 AM
Molly scratched her head and frowned. "Well that thing was really tall right? It could be a giraffe maybe..."
09-12-2016, 01:05 PM
(09-11-2016 04:48 PM)Cidellus Wrote:  "My pleasure," Valentine nodded, jumping up into the wagon to read books. "Thank you kindly, Leech, for your willingness to take aboard another passenger."

You find a book entitled 'Lucky Ladies.'

It is the tale of two southern belles who, despite coming from incredibly different worlds, are the best of friends. They take walks together hand-in-hand, have lovely candlelit dinners together, and even share a bed on occasion! It is an absolutely heartwarming tale of gals being pals.

(09-12-2016 11:42 AM)pail Wrote:  Molly scratched her head and frowned. "Well that thing was really tall right? It could be a giraffe maybe..."

"Gee, I never thought giraffes'd be that scary! I'll have to keep my eye open for 'em from now on. You were great out there, though! I don't think I'd have been able to save the Caravaneer, even if I hadn't been in the cart goin' out of control."

Speaking of, the Caravaneer continues speaking after a few minutes.

"Wrap it up, folks! Get on your carts, or take your turns walkin'. We've gotta get a move on, we're burnin' daylight!"
09-12-2016, 01:09 PM
"I do believe there's abundant daylight to burn," said Valentine, looking for ANOTHER book.
09-12-2016, 01:36 PM
Copperteeth Pete shined his pickaxe in whatever cart he was sitting, employing a religious fervor.

He even cuddles it a few times.

That's a normal way to fix up a tool, right?
09-12-2016, 01:41 PM
(09-12-2016 01:09 PM)Cidellus Wrote:  "I do believe there's abundant daylight to burn," said Valentine, looking for ANOTHER book.

He finds a book on Newtonian physics.

GOOD JOB.
09-12-2016, 01:41 PM
After the Caeavaneer's last words, Rowan quickly jumps on the front wagon and gets going, waiting for nobody.

Except the kids, even Trent, because even he can't bring himself to be that heartless. That's right, even Trent.
09-12-2016, 01:47 PM
You know, physics might help him shoot better.

Fuck it. He reads up.
09-12-2016, 02:29 PM
The path before you is long and unforgiving. More than anything, though, it's boring. The dunes wind up and down and up again. The most exciting thing is the occasional breeze and the crunch of buffalo bones under the cart's wheels.

Eventually, though, a sound breaks up the monotony. Deep, low, hoarse.

It's...

It's.......

A dog's bark?

The Caravaneer sticks his head out from the back of the lead cart, scanning the horizon. When he draws his head back in, he speaks quickly. "Stop the carts!"

A giant dust cloud forms on the horizon. The silhouettes of a person and a dog can be made out from in front of it. Coming soon after the dog's barking, a young girl's voice can be heard, albeit faintly:

"PLEASE!"
09-12-2016, 02:36 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2016 02:37 PM by Vancho1.)
Theresa jumped up.

"A child? Possibly alone? We must do something!"

She called out to the child.

"Are you alright? Come here, child!"

09-12-2016, 02:36 PM
El Dolor gazed off into the distance, noticing the figures dwarfed by the dust storm. He stood up, calling out to the caravan.

"My friends! Someone... and their dog... are in trouble! They need our help. The help... of EL DOLOR! And friends."
09-12-2016, 02:39 PM
Valentine looked up from his book, squinting.

"It appears as if this journey has some excitement left afterall," he said, placing the book back down on top of the bookpile.