In Progress Hope Rides On - Chapter Three: Gentle is the Night
07-11-2017, 03:01 AM
RE: Hope Rides On - Chapter Three: Gentle is the Night
"Allie's right. We have to be ready for Mormons, or Texus, or our tentacled friend. Especially now that there's nowhere else to run.
I reckon a few of us can sweep up along the edge of this turtle thing and check it out..."

Rowan goes to ride off, but suddenly the surplus of energy he had from almost being killed by a giant shadow god and having to push through those godforsaken mountains wears off, and he finds himself eyeing a nice patch of grass.

"After a short rest, at least."
07-11-2017, 10:56 AM
The turtle fin! Sure, the ride is tough and everything is hard and terrible and Flo can really only do her damnedest to lift spirits and try to help people, but it's all made worth it!

The fin!

Florence points out the great greenness with an excited finger, jabbing her arm forward before turning to look at anyone-- everyone. The smile on her face is bright and beaming, her eyes wide with childlike wonder and delight.

"See?! See?! It's the turtle, jus' like I said! The turtle! He saved me before! The great big turtle!"
07-13-2017, 07:32 PM
"Welp. Best see what we got left."

Valentine started figuring out what supplies they had after that little chase. And also helped set up camp.
07-13-2017, 09:38 PM (This post was last modified: 07-13-2017 09:48 PM by Protoman.)
fAfter Martha thoroughly scouts the place to assuage Allie's concerns, you manage to make a small camp in this river-valley.

After a few hours (yes, hours), you realize something: It's day time again. The sun rises before you, and begins moving through the sky above. The reason for the rotation of the heavenly bodies resuming is a mystery to you... for now. Perhaps examining your surroundings will help.

Valentine does a thorough check on your supplies, and examines the party as a whole. After a bit, you manage to affirm the state of affairs. It appears many supplies were lost while fleeing... Whatever that thing was. You should really name it, so the celestial beings that narrate your lives have an easier time referring back to it! So far they've been calling it God, which may or may not be wholly accurate, and some of you vehemently disagree with its divinity, and just... it's a mess.

STATS AND SUPPLIES
[Image: X0npwme.png]

VITAL STATS
POPULATION: 19
MEALS: 38
HORSES: 8
WAGONS: 4
WATER: READILY AVAILABLE
LIVESTOCK: NONE

WEAPONS
PISTOLS: 10
DERRINGERS: 8
PISTOL ROUNDS: 60
RIFLES: 2
RIFLE ROUNDS: 30
SHOTGUNS: 3
SHOTGUN SHELLS: 8
MELEE: PICKAXE

RESOURCES
LUMBER: NONE
STONE: NONE
ORE: NONE
CLOTH: 10
SALT BARRELS: 1
SEEDS: THREE BAGS
SOAP: NONE

MISCELLANEOUS
OLD WORLD BOOKS: MANY
NEW WORLD BOOKS: NONE
HOLY BOOKS: 7
LESBIAN LITERATURE: ??????
TRENT TOYS: 2
LIZZIE TOYS: 0 (she gave hers to Trent)

MAJOR HEALTH RISKS
El Dolor: Minor infection
Allie: Moderate infection
Carmen: Exhibiting seizures since your escape.
Catherine: Fell asleep soon after you escaped the Dark. Hasn't woken up since.

After a bit of resting, you hear a noise. Old Nate wanders off to check on it, and wanders back with a man as old and awkward looking as him in tow. A man in a blue uniform who is missing his left arm follows them both, looking somewhat worried but keeping quiet.

Name: Reverand Jay Rookwood, prefers Father Jay

Appearance: Elderly lanky gentleman, still stands in good posture and has managed to weather his age well. Has a short full beard as keeping a full stock of facial hair is irritating in this blasted eternal sun. Wears his top hair in a ponytail. Hair has obviously gone white, as well as eyebrows. Light blue eyes, with still something of a twinkle in them behind a passive scowl. Wears a raggedy outfit looking like a mix between a military and clerical uniform, a dark overcoat over light grey shirt. Has a ring of ivory with a crow silhouette on it.

Former Occupation: Chaplain - Baptist minister

Background: Second son of the Rookwood family. Participated in the war of 1812, enjoyed slightly more freedom due to not being the eldest son and wandered America during the second great awakening, seeing the blossoming religious and political movements. His family home burnt down in 1836, killing his brother and his family as well as burning down the surrounding fields. After that tragedy, he became a military chaplain and continued moving around under that responsibily up until the civil war. That, and then the end of the world have drastically dropped his wandering abilities.

Relations: Corvin Rookwood - Older brother (Deceased, alongside rest of family)
Corporel Conan Dolph - A middle aged soldier, missing his left arm from a battlefield amputation. Met shortly before the end of world and stuck together after it as fellow soldiers.
Mormons - Insane and crazy fucking bastards apparently.
Confederates - Oh, always fuck those guys, nothing new there.
07-13-2017, 09:48 PM
Valentine checked and made sure that his pistols were still there. Yep, still there.

Still, they lost a lot of crap. Including his shotgun. Well, that was right irritating. He liked having a shotgun!

Ah well.

Valentine saw that Belle was just chilling against one of the wagons and decided that a conversation would be nice.

"Good morning," Valentine said, sitting against the wagon a few feet away. "Nice to be able to reference the time of day again, I will say."
07-14-2017, 03:44 AM
Jay glances over towards the sea first before inspecting this group. And then forgets to inspect the group.

"Lord almighty..." He took out a hankerchief and wiped off the sweat from his face before staring again.

He considers the situation. "Praise the lord?" He mutters. There were people, there was grass, yes, there was a giant...fin in the distance and a gap between the world but, still. He supposed this had to be a miracle? He'd take it as one for now.

"Well. I'd say things are looking up, optimistically?" He turns to Conan, to judge his opinions. "I mean, where there's grass, there's life. And these people don't look..." Jay trails off, and just turns it into a light cough.

"Anyway, thank you Mr Nate for finding and leading us here. A damn more welcoming sight than that blasted wasteland."

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
07-14-2017, 06:41 AM
Theresa initially called the dark being "Satan", but after some consultation with scripture she decides on Ba'al - he is a god, but a false one.

When the newcomer arrives, Theresa goes to greet him.

"Hello and welcome to our camp. My name's Theresa, and you are?"

The one, the only, Vancho!
07-14-2017, 08:09 AM
"Oh, Theresa? That's a lovely name. My name is Father Jay, Jay is fine, and this is my good friend Corporel Dolph. We've been wandering through the nearby...The mountains that were nearby? We saw a strange light and came and met Mr Nate here." He reaches out to clasp Theresa's hand warmly, giving it a shake. "Thank you for welcoming us in. We haven't been greeted warmly in a while."

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
07-14-2017, 09:52 AM
Rowan tentatively begins referring to the thing that chased them as Naught instead of regular God both because it kept saying that and alsoto stop frustrating Theresa, and the turtle as Atlas because her religious talk made him remember another, dead faith and its man who had the whole world on his back. He's on his way to do something when he sees the newcomers.

"Nice to meet you, always good to have more people. Name's Rowan, gonna go look around for something we can use to build up our little place here, especially if any of the undesirables we've left behind come back."
07-14-2017, 03:24 PM
"Father? Ah, a fellow person of the cloth! It'll be good to have a proper service again, Father Jay. And it is good to meet you as well, Corporal Dolph."

Theresa shakes both their hands with vigor and smiles again.

"I must go and work on the camp, but I am sure we will have time to talk later. It is nice to meet you both."

She goes off to find the best place for a plot of land to farm, using her gardening skills drilled into her in the convent.

07-16-2017, 12:00 PM (This post was last modified: 07-16-2017 12:01 PM by pail.)
One word that's been buzzing throughout her entire head is the word entropy. What the heck does it mean anyway? Is it another form of death? She didn't understand what it meant, she would have to ask later. The complete darkness was getting to her too. She did her best to distract herself. Doing whatever was needed of her, talking with her siblings, worrying about Catherine and Flo...

Then.... color!!! Water!!! Grass!!! Well she woulda done cried if she let herself, but she wouldn't in front of her siblings. She laid down in it, felt it between her fingertips. Breathed in the wind.... Just... took a second for herself and bathed in relief. They reached Eden... They are going to be okay. Trent and Lizzie are going to survive.

She then sat up again and smiled at Flo. "Shit, you right! It was a Goddamned hell giant turtle! Holy shit!!! I didn't even know whatchu been going on about then! I thought it was just cause ya got shot and it scrambled ya brains! But fuck look at this horseshit!!! We are on a godforsaken fucking turtle! Ain't that fuckin somethin. Can you believe it Liz and Trent?? Flo was right! Hey how'd you know bout this Flo?!!" She flung her arms out and is gesturing wildly in her excitement.
07-16-2017, 12:16 PM (This post was last modified: 07-16-2017 12:22 PM by Bigshot.)
The excitement stays on Flo's eyes as she twirls in place, swirling her skirts around with a toothy grin on her face. She sways back and forth, bringing her skirts with her as she laughs!

"It did scramble my brains, Molly! Real bad!" The laughter dies down from her, though she does keep smiling and swaying. "It legitimately killed me. I expired all right. The whole way, full on corpse-ified." With a hum, she directs her gaze upwards and brings one hand from her skirts to shield her eyes. "I met some guys in masks, an' they told me things, and then I was runnin' away through the sky or space or blackness or somethin' but the turtle helped me. Found me. Swallowed me up an' then I came back here. Or, uh, to life at least. Came back 'ta life."

Lowering her head, she smiles at Lizzie, Trent, and Molly again. "I'm okay now, though! I mean, gettin' shot was terrible, an' dyin' was worse, but I got to see the turtle and look how well that turned out, right? For alla us!"
07-17-2017, 02:16 AM
Jay gave a nod and smile to Theresa. "Looking forward to next time. Good luck."

He nodded at Rowan also. "We'll do what we can obviously, but, undesirables?" He asked cautiously, taking a look around at the group. "What do you mean by that exactly?"

07-17-2017, 05:23 AM
"Oh you know, the usual. Raiders, Mormons, a giant dark god made of tentacles attempting to destroy all of creation."
07-17-2017, 06:06 AM
"Oh..." Jay just, he obviously was trying to think of a response, but trailed off into an awkward agreeing nod. "Mmhmm."

Well, maybe they weren't all crazy? They seemed friendly for now, this wasn't a deal breaker. He moved a tad closer to Dolph anyway. "Well, good luck with that, hope you don't come across any trouble."

07-17-2017, 07:07 PM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2017 07:07 PM by Protoman.)
(07-13-2017 09:48 PM)Cidellus Wrote:  Valentine checked and made sure that his pistols were still there. Yep, still there.

Still, they lost a lot of crap. Including his shotgun. Well, that was right irritating. He liked having a shotgun!

Ah well.

Valentine saw that Belle was just chilling against one of the wagons and decided that a conversation would be nice.

"Good morning," Valentine said, sitting against the wagon a few feet away. "Nice to be able to reference the time of day again, I will say."

"A damn blessin', far's I'm concerned. A good morn' to you too, doctor - or do you prefer Valentine? Or Val? Or a first name, maybe? Provided we're on good enough terms for that, anyhow." She smirks coyly.

(07-16-2017 12:16 PM)Bigshot Wrote:  The excitement stays on Flo's eyes as she twirls in place, swirling her skirts around with a toothy grin on her face. She sways back and forth, bringing her skirts with her as she laughs!

"It did scramble my brains, Molly! Real bad!" The laughter dies down from her, though she does keep smiling and swaying. "It legitimately killed me. I expired all right. The whole way, full on corpse-ified." With a hum, she directs her gaze upwards and brings one hand from her skirts to shield her eyes. "I met some guys in masks, an' they told me things, and then I was runnin' away through the sky or space or blackness or somethin' but the turtle helped me. Found me. Swallowed me up an' then I came back here. Or, uh, to life at least. Came back 'ta life."

Lowering her head, she smiles at Lizzie, Trent, and Molly again. "I'm okay now, though! I mean, gettin' shot was terrible, an' dyin' was worse, but I got to see the turtle and look how well that turned out, right? For alla us!"

Trent's eyes go wide.

"You dieded? Boy howdy..."

Lizzie smiles up at the two of you. "'Least you're safe now. Don't know what I woulda done if you'd gone and died on us, Flo."

(07-17-2017 06:06 AM)MQuinny1234 Wrote:  "Oh..." Jay just, he obviously was trying to think of a response, but trailed off into an awkward agreeing nod. "Mmhmm."

Well, maybe they weren't all crazy? They seemed friendly for now, this wasn't a deal breaker. He moved a tad closer to Dolph anyway. "Well, good luck with that, hope you don't come across any trouble."

Dolph mirrors the movement, leans in close, and whispers something into Jay's ear.

"Don't trust 'em, Jay. Don't trust 'em one bit."
07-17-2017, 07:18 PM
"Hm, most folks around here call me Valentine, though my first name is James since you asked," Valentine told her. "So what's your story, if you aren't opposed to such a question? I could tell you mine in return."
07-17-2017, 07:20 PM
(07-17-2017 07:18 PM)Cidellus Wrote:  "Hm, most folks around here call me Valentine, though my first name is James since you asked," Valentine told her. "So what's your story, if you aren't opposed to such a question? I could tell you mine in return."

"Now now, wait just a minute - just like a magician, a lady doesn't reveal her secrets... 'least not out in the open, and not without a bit of convincing. What do I get for it?"
07-17-2017, 07:21 PM
"I could teach you either poker or good marksmanship, if you don't know either," Valentine offered.
07-17-2017, 07:30 PM
"Oh, I'm sure you could teach me a lotta things." She chuckles. "Sure. This way, hon." She takes Valentine's hand and leads him deeper into the woods!
07-17-2017, 07:58 PM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2017 07:59 PM by Corn.)
Allie looked up from a comfy grass-laying session she was having with Leech. At. Some more crusty old white dudes. Well. She waved politely at them, and got up, figuring it was about time to get started on some stuff anyway. There were some things she wanted to take care of, for sure.

And... maybe she could multitask. Allie took Leech by the lead, and grabbed one of her notebooks and a pencil or two. Ensuring she had her gun and knife too in her pocket, she went to visit the Caravaneer.

"Morning, Mr C." She said, pulling her mask down around her neck with a light smile. It only now occurred to her that, without all the sand, maybe she wouldn't be so reliant on the darn thing. "I was going to go out through the valley, to try and figure out what all the plants here are, and see if I can't discover what all they're good for. I've got Leech for company and a speedy escape, but I think I'm going to be a late weird horse enthusiast at this rate if I don't do things with people sometimes."

Her smile twitches a bit wider. "I was wondering if you might spare me that fate."
07-17-2017, 08:08 PM
The Caravaneer nods and smiles back. "Sure thing, Allie. Don't got much else to do right now - not while I'm still recoverin', anyhow."

He follows after her!
07-18-2017, 12:47 AM
"I'm not gonna say I don't agree with you Dolph, but until they give us a reason, we can't afford to be picky. A port full of crazies is better than no port in a storm. We are better sticking together for now though til we see how this group is proper. If anything comes up...we'll see what needs doing. Pretty sure these aren't confederate bunches or something like we've seen so far so that's a plus. So they're either all right or something real weird and off the wall."

Jay finishes muttering at Dolph, giving the masked child a returning wave. That was odd. Everyone seemed to be splitting off too.

Best to look to be appearing useful to start with. Jay moved on over to Nate. "Anything I can do to help? I see everyone's looking around and such."

07-18-2017, 05:54 AM
Theresa calls over Carmen.

"Say, will you help me look for a good plot of land? I know Mother Angelique drilled that gardening into you, Carmen."

07-18-2017, 08:22 AM
Well, those guys were interesting. Awfully quiet. Rowan's going to go searching the nearby woods for anything interesting - in particular food or anything they could use to take some of these trees down and fashion into new homes.
07-19-2017, 11:04 AM
Molly's eyes widened and her face went a little paler. "S-so you did actually.... Oh hell.... Fuck I thought ye.... Oh man... I would've been crushed if you- Hrmmm." She stood up and walked over and gave a quick inspection of Flo. "Well... I can't tell that you died so that might be a good sign... I still really can't believe tha turtle made ya alive again... and I guess heaven has people in masks...?" She rubs her head looking concerned. "This is a helluva lot to take in... I Guess the part I should be focusin on is you bein alive... Which I'm also damn happy you made it." She reaches over and gives her three pats on the back.
07-19-2017, 11:22 AM
Yeah, Flo ain't twirlin' no more. Her hands move from her skirts instead to her blouse, and she smooths out the fabric as she offers Lizzie and Trent a gentle smile.

"Ya woulda got on jus' fine without me, silly. I mean, it'd be okay if you were sad, an' I'd've appreciated that, but ya woulda been okay." Molly's voice catches her attention and she looks down to the oldest Beckett kid, blinking simply at her stilted words.

The pats on her back are pretty awkward, and it doesn't seem like poor Florence likes 'em much, but her smile still grows, her lips spreading to reveal her teeth as she lets out a laugh!
"Yeah! I don' look like I died, which is good, 'cause it'd've been a right mess. Look, though--" Her fingers curls over the bottom of her shirt before she lifts it up slightly, high enough to reveal the spot above her belly button. The scar is...surprisingly light against her dark skin, not really the gnarly mess you'd expect a gunshot wound that killed someone to be. Hell, it's hardly bigger'n a quarter!

She's still grinning as she pushes her shirt back down, heat floodin' her cheeks. It's not a very ladylike gesture, but still! She's excited to be alive and her friends're askin' about her! She's gotta show 'em! "Thanks though, y'all. 'Preciate the kind words. I-- don' think that place was Heaven, though. Thinkin' it was some kin'a in-between, an' that big tentacle Oblivion guy was the thing that was all up an' chasin' me."
07-23-2017, 08:21 PM (This post was last modified: 07-23-2017 08:27 PM by Protoman.)
(07-18-2017 12:47 AM)MQuinny1234 Wrote:  
"I'm not gonna say I don't agree with you Dolph, but until they give us a reason, we can't afford to be picky. A port full of crazies is better than no port in a storm. We are better sticking together for now though til we see how this group is proper. If anything comes up...we'll see what needs doing. Pretty sure these aren't confederate bunches or something like we've seen so far so that's a plus. So they're either all right or something real weird and off the wall."

Jay finishes muttering at Dolph, giving the masked child a returning wave. That was odd. Everyone seemed to be splitting off too.

Best to look to be appearing useful to start with. Jay moved on over to Nate. "Anything I can do to help? I see everyone's looking around and such."

Nate shrugs. "Iunno about you, feller, but I'm bone tired. I'm just gonna... take a sit. Rest. Try an' get all the stuff I done gone and seen forgot."

(07-18-2017 05:54 AM)Vancho1 Wrote:  Theresa calls over Carmen.

"Say, will you help me look for a good plot of land? I know Mother Angelique drilled that gardening into you, Carmen."

Carmen smiles and nods. "Sure thing. Lead the way!" They disappear into the woods.

(07-19-2017 11:22 AM)Bigshot Wrote:  Yeah, Flo ain't twirlin' no more. Her hands move from her skirts instead to her blouse, and she smooths out the fabric as she offers Lizzie and Trent a gentle smile.

"Ya woulda got on jus' fine without me, silly. I mean, it'd be okay if you were sad, an' I'd've appreciated that, but ya woulda been okay." Molly's voice catches her attention and she looks down to the oldest Beckett kid, blinking simply at her stilted words.

The pats on her back are pretty awkward, and it doesn't seem like poor Florence likes 'em much, but her smile still grows, her lips spreading to reveal her teeth as she lets out a laugh!
"Yeah! I don' look like I died, which is good, 'cause it'd've been a right mess. Look, though--" Her fingers curls over the bottom of her shirt before she lifts it up slightly, high enough to reveal the spot above her belly button. The scar is...surprisingly light against her dark skin, not really the gnarly mess you'd expect a gunshot wound that killed someone to be. Hell, it's hardly bigger'n a quarter!

She's still grinning as she pushes her shirt back down, heat floodin' her cheeks. It's not a very ladylike gesture, but still! She's excited to be alive and her friends're askin' about her! She's gotta show 'em! "Thanks though, y'all. 'Preciate the kind words. I-- don' think that place was Heaven, though. Thinkin' it was some kin'a in-between, an' that big tentacle Oblivion guy was the thing that was all up an' chasin' me."

Trent stares wide-eyed. "Huh... How was gettin' shot like?!"
Yesterday, 05:01 PM
Valentine returned from the woods with Belle, having had a nice conversation!

He then went and sat down where he was sitting before.
Today, 08:41 AM
"Ah, well, fair enough. I'm sure you deserve a rest. Some of you lot look like you've been through...Well, that." Jay makes a gesture to the inner lands. "Anyway, Dolph, you take a sit down too. I'm going to see about...Well, see if I can't get a better view of that big blue over there. Where there's water there's life after all." He gave him a pat and walked off.

Today, 02:41 PM
Molly elbows Trent softly. "It's rude to ask how kicking the bucket feels like!! ... I think anyways." Molly turns towards Flo again. "I mean I guess we would've gotten on... but it still would've been a fucking travesty if you gone and keeled it. " She bent down and unceremoniously poked the spot where the scar was. "I was expecting like... ribbons down here. Looks like you got even luckier. You even had ta face down Oblivi'n guy... Man you're all sorts of special Flo." She muttered the last part softly.
Today, 02:49 PM
Molly poking Flo's stomach has her reeling back, making a noise somewhere between a scoff and a squeak. Seems she wants it to sound disappointed in some way but it ends up bein' more of a giggle. She's quick to flick her wrist quickly to bat Molly's hand away.

"It wasn't very fun, Trent. Hurts real bad, and it was ridiculous cold. The coldest I ever been, 'specially when I came back ta life." She's still smoothing her shirt out as she draws in a breath, straightening up. Pink dusts her cheeks. "Jus' kept thinkin' 'bout y'all, though. More worried everyone else woulda ended up the same way. Feel for Miss Allie, really. She's the one who had to...hold me while I went, I guess. Thinkin' that sorta thing sticks witcha, even if she won't ever talk about it." Her face softens, and then quickly brightens in a smile as she spreads her arms! "We-- we made it here now, though, right? That's sommin' to celebrate! Ain't no sense in mopin'! Y'all gotta teach me how to plant a thing! I ain't never really got to spend much time enjoyin' the outside a'fore!"
Today, 03:14 PM
Pete seems to recover from his traumatic wounds and bloodloss enough to start sniffing the ground for gold!

Like, literally sniffing it. For a good fifteen minutes.

Finally, he stands up and sighs.

"Welp. I don't smell no gold close to the surface. It's lookin' like I'm abouts to have to do some good ol' prospectin'!"

He pops his knuckles, grabs Huckleberry, and starts searching about the area for signs of gold and/or various minerals.
Today, 03:30 PM
"Are ya still cold?" Molly ask with a little worry in her voice. She would deny it if you asked though. "And whatchu thinkin' 'bout us at the time of your reckoning? Your priorities are kinda weird Flo.." She said in a small teasing voice. Molly was actually pretty in awe of that line of thinking. Who does that at the end? Thinkin about others instead of yourself.

"You're heckin right though! We NEED to celebrate! We need to fuckin hollar and scream! Have some beer! I'll teach ya how to plant many things real damn easy! Here! Let's get started guys! The sooner we get the plantin done, the sooner we can have like bread... and fuckin corn!! Hell yeah!!" She tugs Flo to where they were keepin their families plants. "You guys can stay and rest there though." She said to Trent and Lizzie. "We've been on the shitting road fo a helluva long time. You can go play or nap or somethin. Just stay safe!"