In Progress Hope Rides On - Chapter Three: Gentle is the Night
08-04-2017, 06:26 AM
RE: Hope Rides On - Chapter Three: Gentle is the Night
"Ain't nobody's priority thinkin' of themselves. Even you put the safety of your siblin's above your own, dontcha?" There's a critical curl to her lips as she looks down at Molly, though it quickly dissolves into wonder and further happiness at the mention of the seeds. "Smart idea, really. Prolly the smartest thing I heard. Way better'n what I grabbed. Y'all thought way far ahead!"
08-10-2017, 08:02 PM
Valentine would get a good nap in!

Aw yeah, nap time!
08-10-2017, 08:13 PM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2017 08:24 PM by Protoman.)
Unfortunately, Molly and Flo found no booze in the wagon's storage! They'd have to make a brewery or somethin' to get MIGHTY WASTED.

Nate hears Theresa and Allie talking about crops and works up the gumption to actually do something other than cookin' for once, the lazy ol' fuck! He finds a seed book nestled amongst Allie's things and manages to identify seeds for the following among the inheritance of the Beckett children:

Potatoes (plenty), wheat (plenty), corn (plenty), carrots (few), lettuce (few), cabbage (scarce,) cucumber (scarce), strawberries (scarce), plum (one), apple (one).

He shares his findings with the whole campsite, mighty proud of himself!

Father Jay comes back with a crab, squirmin' about in his hands! Trent ignores the seed talk and stares at it, fascinated. "Woah, mister! Wheredja find that!?"

Rowan disappears into the woods as Valentine falls asleep.

[Health update! Coyote's period begins! Allie's period is lessening!]
08-10-2017, 08:18 PM
"Mmmphhhhhzzzzzz," Valentine said. "Can't hit it, father. It's...zzz...too far..."

A few moments passed.

"No...zzz...YOU'RE the cheater, sir! Mmmmzzzzzzzz."
08-11-2017, 05:00 AM
"By the beach. It's a crab. I believe they're edible but I admit, I'm not 100% sure on how to prepare them. Boiling water I think. Careful, they nip. Poor thing ain't happy." Jay said, squirming his hands and fingers to try and keep a good hold on the damn thing. "If we can find some fresh water, may be able to make something tasty from it."

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
08-11-2017, 02:38 PM
"Er... Well shit, you caught me Flo. I do care more about my siblins than my damn self." She looks pretty huffy at that. "And well, I didn't know what I'd do. All I know is fuckin' farmin, so thats another reason."

She gestured for Flo to follow her and walked over to Nate. She grabbed the wheat seeds, thanking Nate . She left about twenty seeds back in the bag just incase anything went wrong. "Reckon I'll plant the wheat first. Then the potatoes, then the corn. Those I can do like breathin'. The Becketts will have the fields so hella full in no time! I promise everyone that. Flo too, if she wants to help." She turns to Flo. "If ya want ta, like I said, I'll teach ya everythin to know about farming. I was jus' wonderin though if you would rather help with Valentine."
08-12-2017, 12:28 AM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2017 10:24 AM by Bigshot.)
"Feel like it's natural to care 'bout people more than yourself. It ent weird, Molly." Florence is quick to follow Molly, giving Nate a waggle of her fingertips and a smile. Hi Nate!
Flo keeps following after her, coming to a stop only when the other girl does.

The mention of Valentine has her blinking, before her brow knits in a little 'v'.
"I'd rather learn 'bout farmin' right now, truth be told. Mister Valentine's been awfully busy with his new gal, and I'd rather not bother 'em if I can help it. Not 'til he comes to me, at least. Hopin' he remembers he promised me lessons...if he still wants an apprentice. Just don't wanna be annoyin', y'know? So...you can teach me 'bout the potato an' the corn an' the wheat just fine. Only other thing I can do besides that medical stuff is sewin', an' we ain't even got much cloth. Might as well learn some new skills."

With a short exhale, she gestures to the seeds. "Show me how it's done, Molly Beckett."
08-22-2017, 05:23 PM
The night wears on, and you save your tasks for the morning.

The sun rises high above the settlement, and you all feel refreshed after a good night's sleep. The mere fact of sleeping in the dark and being woken by the morning light is something refreshing.

Carmen shows Molly and Flo to the clearing where the farm will be set up! "And if we just...." She holds her head and shakes it. "Sorry. If we set it along the river, it should make irrigation easy... I think, anyhow...?"

Jay tests the water of the river! It is indeed fresh, and fairly clean, for river water. For 18th century immune systems, it should be fine, so long as no one shits upstream.

Rowan still hasn't returned.
08-22-2017, 05:27 PM
"Figure I'd better start figuring out that clinic...need some wood first, though."

Valentine would get to work chopping down trees for general construction purposes!
08-24-2017, 09:06 AM
Theresa goes over to where Valentine is chopping wood.

"Need any help building the clinic? Healing people is God's work, after all."

The one, the only, Vancho!
08-24-2017, 09:17 AM
Jay wants to take a bath but...well, probably shouldn't in the river. Pretty close to the party and it was their drinking water. He'd fill up his waterskin anyway, for his day trip.

He left his other meager possessions at the camp, stripped then to his lightest decent layers and announced. "Hello all, New here, name is Jay. I don't know about the rest of you, but it's been a long time since I've felt clean. I'm going to go off to the beach to finally freshen up. Also, I've never been in the sea before so, that'll be interesting. Just felt I should mention that in case anyone else wanted to come also or know where I'm going is all." He nodded, then walked off to the beach to take a nice dip.

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
08-24-2017, 10:36 AM
"I wouldn't decline help," Valentine told her. "My intention is to build a clinic with my own abode attached to it. That way I'm always on hand in case of emergency."

And that way, he gets a decent place to sleep sooner rather than later.
08-31-2017, 05:52 AM
"Thanks, doctor. I am always glad to help."

Theresa does whatever she can, carrying the smaller pieces of wood and peeling the bark off of the logs to help them survive longer.

08-31-2017, 11:21 AM
"Oh yeah!! That's a hell of a great idea Carmen!! This is a great spot you and Theresa found!!! I don't even think I coulda found better!" She runs around the perimeter of the lands excitedly. "Come on Lizzie, Trent, and you too Flo! This is going to fucking suck without a cultivator though." She rubs her chin and sighs. "We gotta ask the grown ups to make one, that and a scythe and a flail would be really nice. I don't think we will get that anytime soon though. Looks like we will just have to make use with a hoe and some rocks..."

Molly and her siblings set to work on farming.
09-03-2017, 07:56 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2017 07:58 PM by Protoman.)
Valentine tries to chop trees, but El Dolor ran off last night with the axe and hasn't been seen si--- oh wait, here he comes, dragging tons of lumber along with him. Seems he cut down an entire walnut grove in spite of his injuries and is feeling better than ever.

You spend the early morning planning out your first two structures! Valentine and Theresa survey the area for a while and start laying the boundaries for a small clinic.

Molly and Flo work with Lizzie (and Trent, sort of) to clear off space for the land.

Jay makes it to the beach! It's calm and placid - truly as pacific as it was before the End. The water is cool and soothing.

[Image: 1caMsqy.png]

Key:
Lime green: Cultivated land.
Light green: Clear land.
Dark green: Forested land.

The day wears on. Before you know it, it's noontime. Rowan stumbles out of the woods, disoriented, bleeding, and dirty. It seems he has no memory of anything after leaving the night before.

"Anyone want to help me build some houses?" Asks the Caravaneer, clearly trying to take folks' minds off the fear of it.

"Huntin' lodge, more like," Martha chimes in. "Can't abide by whatever the hell kinda beast is out there."

"Hrm... Huntin'... I could get a kitchen started!!!!!!! We can finally eat somethin' other n' buffalo jerky," Nate cries, his priorities entirely in order.
09-04-2017, 04:06 AM
Valentine would treat Rowan's injuries, provided Rowan let him.

"I would be willing to join your hunting party," Valentine said to Martha, once he was done. "Just tell me when you're leaving."

And then he continued to build his clinic! It was important to him, dangit. The others could build the kitchen, and the houses, and the lodge.
09-05-2017, 04:20 PM
Pete sets to work felling small trees for lumber so he could set up a proper minin' operation! After a while, he takes a break to go on down to the river to gather some water and do a bit of panning for gold.
09-06-2017, 07:35 AM
"Thanks doc, don't know what the hell was in there but it seems like it got me good." Rowan would check his guns to see if he had at least given as good as he got from whatever it was. "I'd also be amenable to hunting whatever it is down, though I have this feeling it won't come out during the day.

If I might, I think it would be a fine idea to set up some basic defences. Nothing too grand yet, maybe an outpost or two where people might be coming to raid us, or kill us, or worse." Rowan grimaces remembering the Naught. "That way at least we'll be able to have some time to prepare, if nothing else."
09-06-2017, 10:29 AM
Flo has no idea what the fuck she's doing, but she listens to Molly and helps anyway. Helps her feel useful, while she's waiting to figure out what it is she's gonna do! If only Mister Valentine wasn't so busy with his lady!

"You okay, Miss Carmen?" She asks, swiping sweat from her brow. Her expression is worried, and she sets her hands on her hips to catch her breath. "You want I should have a look at ya? We could find Mister Valentine and the two of us could get ya fixed up right quick."
09-06-2017, 12:04 PM
"I can help you cook, once we get the kitchen built," Theresa offers. She continues helping Valentine with the clinic.

09-06-2017, 07:03 PM
Allie, at this point, realized she wasn't going to be much... help during the initial phase of this. She was not very strong, or capable of feats of endurance, or like, you know, feats of your average Joe. So she decided to continue the work she'd been doing, and figure out what all they had around there. She woke up Leech, and grabbed her supplied, before approaching Arleen. "Arleen, think I could pester you to come out with me? I'm going to figure out what we've got around here, and see if we don't need to test the usefulness of anything strange."
09-07-2017, 10:10 AM
Well, no one had joined him so...Jay took off his boots and socks, rolled up his trousers, and started walking along the beech with his feet in the water. Felt good. He kept an eye out for anything interesting as he trekked along the beach, fishes, cool shells and things for those kids maybe. He tried not to focus too hard on that gap between the horizon and sky. He hummed some hymns as he did so. Nice day.

09-23-2017, 07:22 PM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2017 07:23 PM by Protoman.)
Jay has a nice day at the beach!

Allie grabs Arleen!

Pete wanders off!

Valentine starts up the TIMESKIP PHASE

TIMESKIP PHASE

Sun rises and sets, day bleeds into day. The work of building a settlement hums along quietly... for now.

For those who haven't already, state a purpose for your character for the next two weeks, as well as a character or NPC they will bond with during this time. If you don't give an action, one will be assumed for you. If you don't choose an NPC or PC to hang with, I'll assume you're bein' a hermit.

Purposes can include stuff like construction, resource gathering, exploring, reading, crafting, relaxing (for healing wounds,) or training a particular skill. If you have something that falls outside of those, that's fine too, those are just suggestions.

CURRENT ASSUMPTIONS

Character: Job | NPC

Allie: None | Arleen
Copper Teeth: Wood Choppin' | Huckleberry
Coyote: None | None
El Dolor: None | None
Flo: None | None
Jay: None | None
Theresa: None | None
Valentine: Clinic Building | None

DUE DATE: 9/25/17
09-24-2017, 05:58 AM
Coyote is going to explore and learn how to craft traps while she isn't roughin' it.
09-24-2017, 06:12 AM
Florence is going to want to practice her healing skills with Mister Valentine! Sure, she's the best there is at stitching but there's so much more to learn, and in between that she can help him build his clinic. Learning about plants is nice, but it's not her specialty.
09-24-2017, 06:15 AM
Molly is going to Farm! With.... Probably her siblings!
09-24-2017, 07:54 AM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2017 07:56 PM by Cidellus.)
Valentine would continue building his clinic! Once that was done, he'd begin teaching Flo how to MEDICINE!

And probably how to shoot, too!

Because god-dammit, next time SHE'LL be the one to shoot a MORMON in the gut. That'll teach them. Belle could help too if she was down!
09-24-2017, 11:39 AM
While Rowan feels somewhat apprehensive, he's going to spend most of his free time with Martha, exchanging tips and tricks and getting over what went down in Mormon City as they take care of protecting the settlement, by finding out and taking care of whatever is in those woods and (if possible) setting up a few minor outposts above the treeline.
09-25-2017, 06:23 PM (This post was last modified: 09-26-2017 06:00 AM by Vancho1.)
Theresa helps Valentine with the clinic, then gets to work on building shelter. She hangs out with Father Jay to discuss spiritual matters. If Father Jay isn't available she'll make sure Carmen is doing all right.

09-25-2017, 06:31 PM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2017 06:33 PM by Kocel.)
Pete keeps on a-gatherin' and a-minin' and a-choppin' so he can build his mine!

Also, he goes a lookin' for a youngun that can fit into them there tiny caverns better!
09-25-2017, 06:35 PM
Allie took Arleen out exploring. She'd take Leech and her equipment with her, and she was set on figuring out everything that they had around at their disposal. Plants, animals, whatever washed up on the beach, other materials they might find. She'd mark groves of certain things down on the map if there were notable ones.
10-28-2017, 05:51 PM (This post was last modified: 10-28-2017 05:52 PM by Protoman.)
Over these two weeks, your bonds grow...

Social Link Up!!!!

Allie
Arleen - 3 (rank up!!)
The Caravaneer - 2
Old Nate Mulligan - 1
Martha - 1
Bartolomeo - 1
Carmen - 1
Lizzie - 1
Trent - 1
Catherine - 0
Siegfried - 1
Dolph - 1

Copper Teeth
Arleen - 1
The Caravaneer - 1
Old Nate Mulligan - 1
Martha - 1
Bartolomeo - 1
Carmen - 1
Lizzie - 1
Trent - 2 (Rank up!!!)
Catherine - 0
Siegfried - 1
Dolph - 1

Coyote
Arleen - 1
The Caravaneer - 1
Old Nate Mulligan - 1
Martha - 1
Bartolomeo - 1
Carmen - 1
Lizzie - 1
Trent - 1
Catherine - 0
Siegfried - 1
Dolph - 1

El Dolor
Arleen - 1
The Caravaneer - 1
Old Nate Mulligan - 1
Martha - 1
Bartolomeo - 1
Carmen - 1
Lizzie - 1
Trent - 1
Catherine - 0
Siegfried - 1
Dolph - 1

Flo
Arleen - 1
The Caravaneer - 1
Old Nate Mulligan - 1
Martha - 3
Bartolomeo - 1
Carmen - 1
Lizzie - 2
Trent - 1
Catherine - 1
Siegfried - 1
Dolph - 1

Jay
Arleen - 1
The Caravaneer - 1
Old Nate Mulligan - 1
Martha - 1
Bartolomeo - 1
Carmen - 1
Lizzie - 1
Trent - 1
Catherine - 1
Siegfried - 1
Dolph - 3

Molly
Arleen - 1
The Caravaneer - 1
Old Nate Mulligan - 1
Martha - 2
Bartolomeo - 1
Carmen - 1
Lizzie - 4 (Rank up!!!)
Trent - 3
Catherine - 1
Siegfried - 1
Dolph - 1

Rowan
Arleen - 1
The Caravaneer - 1
Old Nate Mulligan - 1
Martha - 1 (Rank up!!!)
Bartolomeo - 1
Carmen - 1
Lizzie - 1
Trent - 1
Catherine - 0
Siegfried - 1
Dolph - 1

Theresa
Arleen - 1
The Caravaneer - 1
Old Nate Mulligan - 1
Martha - 1
Bartolomeo - 1
Carmen - 3
Lizzie - 1
Trent - 1
Catherine - 0
Siegfried - 1
Dolph - 1

Valentine
Arleen - 1
Belle - 2
The Caravaneer - 1
Old Nate Mulligan - 1
Martha - 1
Bartolomeo - 1
Carmen - 1
Lizzie - 1
Trent - 1
Catherine - 0
Siegfried - 1
Dolph - 1

Allie makes a semi-detailed guide of the flora and fauna of the woods! The beach needs some work, but she now can call up information on the wilds so long as she has her notes.

Copper Teeth Pete takes some time when no one is watching and sends Trent into holes he's too small to fit into! The boy's developed an teensy-weensy little cough, but Pete does hit copper, and manages to dig out a small, semi-safe mine.

Coyote develops her abilities to build traps and navigate this forest! She now is somewhat better at finding her way around, and can begin hunting.

El Dolor continues gathering wood!

Florence and Valentine spend some time together. He imparts much of his knowledge on first aid to her, and she helps him build his clinic! By the end of the two-week period, a nice little log cabin has been set up.

Molly and Lizzie set up a fairly decent little farm! It's not super high-tech, but its proximity to the river means it takes care of itself for the most part, once everything's planted. The crops should be ready in about 12 weeks!

Rowan sets up watch towers all 'round the joint! Martha helps, and eventually talks to him about something...

Theresa works with the remaining NPCs on building shelter! By the end of the two weeks, you've managed to set up two log cabins that should be able to house two people each.

STATS AND SUPPLIES

VITAL STATS
POPULATION: 19
MEALS: 24
HORSES: 8
WAGONS: 4
WATER: READILY AVAILABLE
LIVESTOCK: NONE

WEAPONS
PISTOLS: 10
DERRINGERS: 8
PISTOL ROUNDS: 60
RIFLES: 2
RIFLE ROUNDS: 30
SHOTGUNS: 3
SHOTGUN SHELLS: 8
MELEE: PICKAXE

RESOURCES
LUMBER: 0 (40 used)
STONE: 20
ORE: 10
CROPS: 48 meals worth growing, 12 weeks remaining...
CLOTH: 10
SALT BARRELS: 1
SEEDS: ONE BAG
SOAP: NONE

MISCELLANEOUS
OLD WORLD BOOKS: MANY
NEW WORLD BOOKS: NONE
HOLY BOOKS: 7
LESBIAN LITERATURE: ??????
TRENT TOYS: 2
LIZZIE TOYS: 0 (she gave hers to Trent)

HEALTH UPDATE
El Dolor: Infection subsided.
Allie: Moderate infection persists. Could get worse.
Carmen: Exhibiting seizures since your escape. Have not ceased.
Catherine: Finally woke up. Can't remember a single dream from her entire sleep.

There's been no progress in figuring out what in the woods accosted Rowan. The attack is beginning to fade into memory.

One dark night, a new occurrence pops up: a storm begins hammering down onto the canopy above you.