MARCH OF EVIL: WHERE IT ALL GOES WRONG
09-23-2016, 07:22 AM
RE: MARCH OF EVIL: GAME START, WHAT COULD GO WRONG
Angie rotated back into a sitting position, floating in the air next to Vanth with a shrug and a smirk. "So? Not much we can do about it except sit here and watch the fireworks."
09-23-2016, 07:30 AM
"Quite true, Angie," Vanth offered a shrimpie to Angie despite the face the spectre technically did not require any sustenance. "But Imma mortal and dat comes with shortcomin's like...impatience."

Vanth grinned.
09-23-2016, 08:31 AM
Vekna yawned.
09-23-2016, 08:38 AM
"Not nicking things, Alexi. Just keeping an eye on the supply situation."

Riachik waved a green demon over to where the goblet landed.

"Your cup. I'll give it back to you... for the low price of a soul. Surely you've got a thrall or something around here, eh? I know some party tricks, should pass the time."

The one, the only, Vancho!
09-23-2016, 08:51 AM
"Still a mortal's mind in here, V," said Angie, taking the shrimp and tapping herself on the side of the head with it. "I just learned the value of watching and waiting." She bit the shrimp off of the skewer, and kept talking through the mouthful. Just because she didn't need it didn't mean she couldn't enjoy it. "S'a goo' li'e skill!"
09-23-2016, 08:56 AM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2016 08:59 AM by Acolyte Doctor.)
"Ye, dat'be true. Jest a lil'worried, I guess," Vanth looks contemplatively at another hors d'oeuvre before giving it to an appreciative Apollo. "Hope de worst thing dat'll happ'n s'we gonna ran out of dem shrimpies befer Aggie finishes his shit."
09-23-2016, 09:14 AM
"Wouldn't that be a tragedy," said Angie with a grin.
09-23-2016, 09:20 AM
Vanth let out a mock-gasp, putting a hand on her forehead for dramatic effect. Immediately, she snapped back with a grin plastered on her face.

"Now wouldn't dat be an ab-SOL-lute disasta, Angie. Now'f ya excuse me--" Vanth slips out, making sure to deplete the shrimp-dish even more. "Gotta cheque on de other darlin's."
09-23-2016, 09:24 AM
Io glanced upward, intending to examine Lord Agar's movements in detail. She shook her head disapprovingly as Vanth exited, and promptly returned to her notes.
09-23-2016, 09:32 AM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2016 09:36 AM by Acolyte Doctor.)
Vanth saunters to others, shrimps loaded in each hand. She gave a grin to all of them. "Bousoir fellas. Jest makin' sure yer all-right and well. I've brought sum shrimpies, if ye want a bite."
09-23-2016, 09:43 AM
Vespera takes a shrimp from Vanth's hand as she walks out of the palace. She was disgusted with herself, but a hellsteed has to eat and her corruption left her notably more carnivorous than she was before.
09-23-2016, 09:44 AM
Riachik took a shrimp and smiled, exposing his sharp rows of teeth.

"Why thank you, Vanth. I'll have to make sure our shrimp stocks are secure, heh-heh."

And he ate it whole, his teeth shredding the shell and meat with a loud crunch.

09-23-2016, 09:49 AM
As Vanth entered the midboss room, Vekna's head swiveled around 180 degrees in silence, rising up over the back of the couch.

"Ah. Miss Vanth. How good of you to join me." Her voice was akin to a thousand people running their fingers around the rim of wineglasses in just the right way to produce sound waves that mimicked speech. "Are you not supposed to be in Agar's chamber?"
09-23-2016, 09:51 AM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2016 09:52 AM by Acolyte Doctor.)
"Ach, I've bein workin on dis 'Dark Hand' job fer decades but Imma n'ver gonna get use to ye guy's eatin' habits. And yeh, Imma suppos'd to'be with Aggy but no harm w'a snack break, non? Wanna shrimpie?"
09-23-2016, 09:52 AM
Hern was looking at the little shrimp he was given.

He did not know what to do with it.

09-23-2016, 09:55 AM
"No, I suppose not. It is probably far more interesting than... this." Vekna gestured dismissively around the completely empty room with a leg. Simultaneously, she levitated one of the shrimps from the plate directly into her mouth. It was immediately gone, without any chewing whatsoever. "I thank you for the distraction."
09-23-2016, 09:55 AM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2016 10:01 AM by Acolyte Doctor.)
"Good gods, did dat shrimpie got raptured? Ye givin'a poor example to Herny here. Ye put't in ye mouth, brah. Jest--" Vanth would put a shrimp in her mouth but she realized it was covered in evil unicorn spit, so she just sort-of-awkwardly motioned instructions for proper consumption. "Jest do dat! Den chew!"
09-23-2016, 04:41 PM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2016 09:25 AM by Bramzter.)
"No thanks, I don't even want to know what your companion touched before picking that up. Besides i have more and there isn't any alcohol that isn't on strict rationing." Alexi said with a wry grin.

"But sure go ahead, anything to alleviate this terribly dull affair, Just try not setting the banners on fire again and keep your cards out of it, I am never going to bother with that stupid 'is this your card'? malarkey again.

He lazily looked up as Vanth entered and held up a hand. "Thank you for the offer but i am going to pass on the seafood. It doesn't go well with my past drink... Demon fellow probably will eat it with shell and all." and then lounged again as he waited for his demonic acquaintance to do ...something.. atleast
09-24-2016, 04:36 PM
As Vanth defied time and space to hand out shrimpies to everyone, Lord Agar had spent the last ten minutes meditating before the Magma Heart, hovering a foot off the floor, conversing with spirits.

Somewhat unsuccessfully.

"No I do NOT want to be connected with the Plane of Elemental Fire, I want to be connected with the PLANE OF THE GODS, to inform them of my coming triumph and their soon-to-be reckoning! ... Yes, Yes I'll hold, but you'd better connect me to the right plane this time! My apotheosis cannot wait forever!"

Agar was donning a flowing robe, mostly black, with an orange slit-pupiled eye embroidered into the back. It tapered up to two twisting spires of pauldrons on each shoulder, and the front was open enough to show off the shining Soul Thirster gem embedded in a gnarled scar in on his chest. The skin was pale and unhealthy in appearance, most likely a side-affect of utilizing a soul-consuming artifact.

On his balding head was a black fez with red silk trim, and from the dangling cord atop it hung a quartz eye. His face was gaunt, and, though they were currently closed, his pale green eyes had been constantly bloodshot of late as a result of late-night apotheosis study sessions. His thin lips were drawn tight in irritation, and his goatee and mustache, jet black, had both been greased and styled for the occasion.

He sighed.

"Finally, about time. GODS, HEAR MY BOAST, I, AGAR THE ALMIGHTY, SHALL SOON ASCEND TO TAKE WHAT'S- wait, what. Yes, Ifreet, it's me again. I can't believe this, Me-dammit, I specifically told them to connect me to the GODLY REALM- Gah. Nevermind.... Yes, yes, this is the last time. M-hm... Well, Ifreet, I don't remember ASKING for your opinion... I'll have you know the apotheosis will go perfectly fine, thank you. In fact, I'm going to do it RIGHT NOW. That'll show that spirit-guide... Oh yes, even if this works, we're still on for cards next week. I'll invite you to my new god pad! ... Well, I'm not inviting you if you're LAUGHING at me, Ifreet. You know what, yeah, you're specifically not invited. Bye."

Agar descended to the floor, grumbling in irritation. He stood, opening his eyes.

"Very well! Since the gods once again IGNORE me, at their own peril! , I will start my APOTHEOSI- where's Vanth."

He looked over to Hern.

"Why does Hern have a shrimp oh damn it all she's giving out snacks again, isn't she. I've told her, a hundred times, she's my DARK HAND, not my DARK DEN MOTHER. I swear, she's worse than Anisim mothering over the Youth Brigade."

Agar shrugged.

"Well, her loss, if she doesn't come back by the time I start the ceremony! I'm going to light the candles and ward them. Didn't want them running everywhere like some two-bit seance. If she's not back by THEN, she misses THE ARRIVAL OF A NEW GOD UNTO THIS REALM!"

He walked to a nearby candle, flicked a finger to light it, and muttered some protective spells over it. With the sheer amount of candles in the ritual circle, Vanth probably had a little over five minutes.

----------------

"Pretty pony don't need shrimpies, hehhhhh..."

A hunched over figure seemingly dressed in burlap approached Vespera. Ah. This guy.

"Meegor know what pretty pony needs.... A nice, shiny, heehhhhhh, apple..."

Meegor was the go-to lackey for undesirable jobs in the Dark Forces. And that included cleaning out Vespera's stables. He seemed to believe the Guardian and himself shared a special bond. He was probably wrong.

While it wasn't surprising that he had come to bug Vespera, it was surprising that the apple he was offering was completely clean, ripe, and free of Meegor's signature musky stench. He stretched it out to her with a withered hand.

"Demons don't watch apples, nooooo, hehhhh.... Demons like to watch the meat... Watch, and drool, hehhhh.... Have apple, pretty pony, is good apple for pony, yesssss...."

--------------

"CAN WE DO THE THING, CAPTAIN GENERAL ANISIM?"

The leader of the Youth Brigade, Thomas "the Terrible", looked up to Anisim with bright, eager eyes. The Dark Lord Agar Youth Brigade made up about one third of the forces Anisim commanded, and it in turn was composed entirely of children the mysterious Hern showed up with after raids. Bereft of home or family, Agar was fine with them sticking around as long as they "did their part", which often included running supplies, messages, and, before Anisim spoke up, fitting into small, dangerous places. Agar was annoyed at first, since SOMEONE has to get in to the cracks in the back of the Maw to flush out the bats, but a couple abominations proved to be both more hardy and more capable at it.

They were visible immediately both by their size and their uniform, a kakhi cloth outfit with a red bandana and a black beret, topped with a little red spike. It had taken Anisim a while to smuggle in Spirit Guns small enough to fit in their hands, but, somehow, he did.

"WE PRACTICED REALLY HARD AT THE GUN THROWING, GENERAL CAPTAIN ANISIM! WE CAN DO IT! LET US TRY TO DO IT! DARK LORD AGAR WILL SEE US DOING IT GOOD AND THEN HE'LL MAKE US, UM, ANGELS OR SOMETHING!"

"Maybe he'll bring our parents back!"

"THAT'S DUMB, PETE, SHUT UP"

The smack of an older child hitting Pete was heard, along with some sniffling.

"WHO WANTS DUMB PARENTS WHEN YOU CAN HAVE A GOD FOR YOUR DAD? MY DAD DIDN'T EVEN EVER LET ME FIGHT IN A WAR EVER LIKE LORD AGAR IS! IT'S GONNA BE COOL! LET US DO THE GUN THING!"

Notably, Anisim had only drilled them with wooden replicas before, not their actual firearms. But the kids (mostly) seemed really set on it... I mean, what could go wrong, right?

-----

Davian whimpered when struck, mumbling some prayers for mercy, prayers unheard by the god who abandoned him. Vangar gave an amused snort. He liked it when Tarek hit the snake-priest.

"Strike-Commander. How much longer will we wait?" Meriel looked to him as she spoke, "I can feel the Paladins on the other side. This fight... This will be a good fight, I can tell."

Meriel wasn't known to be impatient. She was obviously really looking forward to this. A sentiment shared, it seemed, by Vangar, who spoke up next.

"We should ask Lord Agar to lift this damn curtain. Let us welcome in our new god with a sacrifice of Paladin blood!"

--------

One of Alexi's thralls looked nervous about the prospect of being soul-fodder. I mean, sure, he'd give his life for his master, why WOULDN'T he, but being used as a soul sacrifice is enough to make anyone nervous.

They went to fetch him another goblet, as well as another enchanted bottle of blood, trying to pick out his preferred vintage, whatever that is.

Meanwhile, Riachik would remember that his party tricks were frowned upon after the last one set several members of the Youth League on fire. Sure, Agar got a nice chuckle out of it, but the whining of Anisim afterwards gave him enough of a migraine to ask the demon to "just, you know, be careful about it next time."

-----

"MY LADY, DOST THOU REQUIRE SUSTENANCE?"

Oh god, not THIS guy again. An acolyte clad in grey robes approached Vekna, his face, like all her cultists, hidden by a low-hanging hood embroidered with the image of a golden snake.

"DO NOT SINK TO THESE 'SHRIMPIES', MY LADY, THOU DESERVETH THE FAIREST FARE FOR ONE SO FAIR, SO POWERFUL, SO WISE. WE SHALL BRAVE THE DEMONS FOR YOU AND RETRIEVE PROPER FARE FROM THE STOCKROOMS, THOU ONLY NEED GIVETH THE WORD!"

What a kiss-up. The Head Acolyte was always pestering her with attempts to gain her favor. It made her consider the whole "I WILL DIE-ETH FOR THOU" proclamation he was fond of making... But he always made it really weird. Weird enough to just want to... Ignore it. Did he have a death wish? Was he really just that dedicated to her?

"I WOULD DIE-ETH TO BRINGETH THEE THE FARE THOU REQUIRES!"

It was hard to tell. He just seemed REALLY fond of bringing that point up.
09-24-2016, 05:50 PM
"Hey, hey, no hitting! You guys are brothers in arms, you can't be hittin' each other! Save that for the paladins." He smiled and patted their heads. "You can throw your guns in a bit, but first let's make sure our safeties are all on! Here, line up and let me check 'em for you."
09-24-2016, 05:55 PM
Io waited for Agar to finish talking before looking up from her notes, addressing the soon to be god with a gentle tone and a smile.

"Apologies, Lord Agar, I should have attempted to stop her from leaving. Would you like me to mark down your revocation of Ifreet's invitation to your card game?"
09-25-2016, 06:43 AM
"Don't bother, it isn't in stock" Alexi mumbled half halfheartedly at the fleeing thrall as the poor sod ran back into his establishment and then turned back to his conversational partner.

"Do get on with it my dear fellow, i would implore you to get on with it. This numbness is taxing on the sanity and there is nothing worthwhile to drink in this damnable infernal castle anyway, Even the most base of delights are in short supply. I have half a mind to just partake in my own poisons, had i not sampled them years ago already." Alexi complained opening the side of his overcoat which was stuffed full with vials of poisons and concoctions.

Alexi sighed and shifted back into a lounging stance Do you think our most cliché dark lord will actually succeed with this waste of time? I mean it is hard to keep this place supplied nonetheless even slightly entertained with a blockade of surly paladins around our lair.
09-25-2016, 06:48 AM
"̢A̷n̡g̵élìq̧ue,͠ ̸c̀a͡re̡ t͞o f̢etch͠ V͞anth? Yo͞u͝'r̴e faşte̸r̡ t̴ha̛n I ám."͘

09-25-2016, 11:03 AM
"Ohh yess, so we should," Tarek replied readily. He didnt care terribly whether or not Agar managed to succeed in his quest for godhood, though he supposed a failure would have unfortunate consequences. It'd make his ambitions of paladin-slaying rather short-lived, certainly. With a god commanding their coming campaign, though... There'd be rivers of blood and mountains of skulls. He couldnt wait much longer. Surely Agar wouldnt be adverse to starting the bloodshed a little early.

"Since you are so eager, you can go beg Lord Agar to lower the barrier. At his will, we'll usher in his ascension with a torrent of souls and the screams of the dying," he says, fixing Vangar with a challenging stare, daring him to defy the order even though it might mean missing the start of the battle, or being punished by Agar for disturbing him.
09-25-2016, 11:24 AM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2016 11:24 AM by Demonsul.)
"A chance for a breath of fresh air?" said Angie, leaning on Hern's shoulder. She had to hover a good few feet off the ground to manage it. "You really shouldn't have, big guy." She suddenly disappeared in a cloud of smoke, which flowed smoothly through the crack beneath the door.

Hern probably immediately noticed that she'd stolen his uneaten shrimpie.

Immediately outside the door, where Vanth, Vekna and the annoying cultist were, the cloud of smoke manifested back into Angie. "Hey V, the boss says he's nearly ready. I think you've got maybe four minutes before he's done lighting the candles if you don't want to miss the big fireworks display."

Message delivered, she turned to smoke then remanifested lounging across the top of Vekna's stolen super-couch, gesturing vaguely with her shrimp-on-a-stick. "Hi Vekna, whatcha reading?"
09-25-2016, 12:06 PM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2016 12:07 PM by SupahKiven.)
Io continued to record Agar's processes, taking particular note of the spell he was casting. Her eyes flicked over towards Angelique as she left, and she scoffed.

"Don't know why you're bothering, Hern," Io remarked, "If Vanth isn't here when Lord Agar ascends because of her own impatience, that's her problem."
09-25-2016, 12:22 PM
Meegor was sort of right. Vespera sort of hated him less than most of the others. Sort of. She definitely appreciated the effort though, especially as seeing the fresh apple suddenly made her feel like she was herself for the first time since her master killed her.

She nods at him, and her tongue lashes out and takes the apple - probably only stinging Meegor a tiny bit.
09-25-2016, 01:23 PM
"Ye gods, s'almost time for de 'Magna Heart' hoodoo to start. Guess I gotta get-down der before de bossman get pissy."

Vanth almost casually saunters into the ritual room. She gives the spot next to Io a shit-eating grin, as if she was sorry but not too sorry.
09-25-2016, 01:28 PM
Riachik grinned at the sight of the thrall, and started drawing magic runes.

"Now, this shouldn't hurt.... too much."

He finished his preparation, and then started his spell. He tore the soul out of the thrall and started binding its form, using it to power an enchantment. When it was complete, a ghostly version of the thrall appeared, dressed in a black uniform with a tight-fitting cap. He was holding a box in hand. Riachik commanded it,

"Deliver this candygram to King Tyron, and make it snappy!"

09-25-2016, 01:38 PM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2016 01:40 PM by Anomaly.)
"Yes, yes, go do that, then." Vekna waved a hand dismissively toward the acolyte. She cleared her throat. The holy fire around her floating head flared as her voice became more echo-y. "I mean. YOUNG ACOLYTE. YOU MUST BRAVE THE DEPTHS OF THE DEMON-SCARRED LAND KNOWN TO THE HEATHENS AS THE EMPLOYEE BREAK ROOM, AND BRING YOUR MASTER, VEKNA, ARCHANGEL OF ORDER, A DRINK. GO NOW, AND RETURN EITHER SUCCESSFUL... OR NOT AT ALL."

Vekna's holy glow returned to normal. "And make sure it's not fucking diet this time, got it?"

Oh, look, now there was Angelique. Goddamn Angelique. She wasn't even an angel, but still dared to put it right in her name! Plus, she was kind of annoying. Still... she was someone to talk to who wasn't a half-insane cultist, so hey, still technically welcome. Her head slowly swiveled in place, staring eyelessly right at her.

"Ah. Angélique de Berget, Marquise de Château Noir, et cetera. Good to see you. I'm just reading, ah... GALTHAR THE GALLANT. I must say, I did not think Lord Agar was the type to enjoy this sort of... risqué entertainment. There must be many surprises waiting in his private library."
09-25-2016, 01:46 PM
"Oh really?" said Angie, her grin growing wider. "And you went perusing, did you? Or was that one of your cultists' idea of a good read?"
09-25-2016, 01:57 PM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2016 01:58 PM by Anomaly.)
"Believe me, the cultists will go overboard when I ask for anything. I ask them for something to eat, they'll break into the kitchens and try to make a five-course meal. Most of them don't know how to cook. And, well. I ask for something to read, and they bring me this homoerotic garbage." The dozens of eyes on Vekna's wings all rolled at once. "The prose is all stilted, the action is impossible to follow, and certain... content reads like furniture assembly instructions. Lord Agar either has poor tastes... or enjoys terrible writing as much as I do."

The hovering book snapped shut, coming to a rest on the couch's arm. "The only reprieve from the utter boredom in here. I don't suppose Lord Agar is quite finished toying around with forces he doesn't understand?"
09-25-2016, 02:09 PM
"You think he's gonna blow up too?" said Angie, tilting her head slightly. Her tone lowered, taking on a touch of the conspiratorial. "I mean, even V's bird said the same thing. He can't really be doing it, right? He'd know that it wouldn't work."

She looked around, before leaning in and practically whispering, "One abomination to another, I think it's some kind of ruse. He's gotta be using this whole god business to cover for something else. Maybe it was a lure to get the paladins all here, or something, so he can take them all out at once. Whatever it is, he's not clued me in on it."
09-25-2016, 02:36 PM
Vekna took issue with the label of "abomination", but now was hardly the time to voice that. She sat up, glancing around with the eyes all over her body. No one close enough to hear. She floated her head closer to Angie, whispering back. "I wouldn't be surprised if he's up to something more than a simple ascent to godhood. I couldn't guess as to what, considering how little he actually tells me."

She sighed, lowering her voice even more. "But if it were a simple lure, why would he not tell us? I can understand not telling the lower-down underlings, but neither you nor I is one of them, now, are we? Either his plans are grander than we realize... or he's about to explode himself with magic. Or maybe it'll work, which I'm sure will cause no problems whatsoever."
09-25-2016, 02:42 PM
"I don't know," whispered Angie with a shrug. "The problem with him being a mad genius is that I don't know when he's being a genius and when he's just being mad. But he was always more the 'I will combine these skeletons of my hated enemies to make an undead butler!' mad more than the 'I'll wear my underpants on my head and stick two pencils up my nose!' mad, right? I don't know why he wouldn't have told us, but he can't really be going after godhood, or if he is, it's not like he's making it out. It doesn't make sense!"
09-25-2016, 03:21 PM
"None of this makes sense. It seems that the power has finally gone to his head, and he thinks himself invincible. Ascension to godhood is such a difficult process that even those near to the divine don't try it. I can't imagine that after all that talk he isn't going to try ascending, but I also can't imagine it going well for him." Vekna cast a dozen eyes back toward the Magma Heart. "Regardless, I'm meant to be here if everything goes wrong and the vile Aglorians get inside. I almost wish a few would show up, if only because that would mean something is happening."
09-25-2016, 03:48 PM
"Well you won't have much longer to wait, regardless of what the boss' plan is," said Angie, sitting up. "He'll almost be done with the candles by now. Speaking of, I should probably get back in there." She gave a mock salute. "Keep on doing your thing! Not much longer now."

She swept away under the door in a puff of smoke, leaving Hern's shrimpie forgotten and uneaten on the back of the sofa.
09-25-2016, 05:13 PM
"You do know this place has no windows so we can't even see the 'hilarious' conclusion you just wasted one of my thralls for thanks Alexi quipped sarcastically. Honestly i should just drain one of your mooks to even the score buuuuut you guys are just rather... unpalatable, Perhaps one of them can bleed in a jar for me, Disgusting as it is Demon blood would make a good reagent.
09-25-2016, 05:22 PM
Lord Agar warded another candle.

"Worry not, Io, I merely wanted Vanth on hand should her necromantic magics prove useful... And besides, she's been... Mostly useful. She deserves to witness the birth of her new god."

Vanth hasn't returned quite yet, sadly.

-----------------------

Vangar glared at Tarek, snorting in fury.

"I... I do not BEG..."

After a tense moment, he bows his head slightly, fists clenched.

"... I will... Ask Lord Agar to lower the Magma Curtain. As you command."

His wording was noticeably restrained. Still, it seems your intimidation got to him. As he turns to stomp off, Meriel gives a fanged smirk.

--------

Riachik's demon magic was, unfortunately, less efficient and reliable than regular magic. This meant that, during successes, it was incredibly potent, but during failures, fizzled spectacularly, if not outright explode. Fortunately, for Riachik, in this case it was mostly the former.

Mostly.

d100 - 10 = 24. Not an explosion, but...

The thrall screamed in agony as his soul was ripped from his body, and it was indeed re-fashioned into a ghostly butler, albeit with . It took the box, and nodded.

"Candygram for Lord Agar, Candygram for Lord Agar."

It turned to leave, and, fortunately for Riachik, it was not moving quickly.

---------------------------

The Youth Brigade lined up for Anisim to check the safety on their guns. That'd take a few minutes, but what could go wrong in the meantime?

The adult troops, without him overseeing them, began to chat among themselves and, here and there, break formation a bit.

---------------------------------

"FOR LADY VEKNA! OUR LIVES FOR HER DRINK!"

The cultists rushed out the room, headed for the break-room. Hopefully no demons really were hanging out there. Demons and cultists didn't get along very well.

As she returned to her book, Vekna might remember that the reason for Agar's... Varied library.... Was simply that he took in any book that Tyron declared banned. At least, that was his excuse. She'd caught him reading Obunorim and the Fanciful Duke on one occasion.
------------------------------------

As Vanth returned to the chamber, Agar finished the last candle.

"Ah, yes, Vanth, there you are. Good, good. Don't want you missing THE APOTHEOSIS. Io! Mark the moment! The ritual begins!"

It could have been the reflection of candle-light from the various glass surfaces in the chamber, but the glow of the candles almost seemed to... Feed into each other. The smoke from the incense floated lazily above the ritual circle, making a circle of their own, and ethereal shapes and letters could almost be seen within it.

"For too long have the Gods ignored man's plight! For too long has the God of Light worsened it, thinking our suffering to be some kind of game! For too long has man's potential been burnt away by the forces of 'good' and 'justice'! I say, no more! Today I absorb the power of the Cosmic Cornerstone, a relic brimming with the energy of creation itself! I have made careful adjustments to ensure the power will be smoothly combined into my own, and my work will not go without fruit! I will become a GOD, transcending from Dark Lord Agar, becoming Agarim, God of Change and Rebellion! Feast your eyes, my Dark Lieutenants, as you watch what will be the first step towards a brave new chapter of human history!"

Agar shuffled over to the podium holding his spell book, reaching beneath it, retrieving an oaken box covered in protective runes. Whispering a few words, he snapped the box open and retrieved the cubic crystal from the velvet-lined interior. It was nearly the size of his head and glowed with a pale blue light.

"Here.... Here is my apotheosis."

He held the cube aloft and then bared the crystal in his chest to it. As he muttered incantations, the flames of the candles began to roar and the runes drawn onto the floor started to glow ominously red.
09-25-2016, 05:33 PM
"Oh... Bollocks..." Alexi vanished in a puff of smoke and now a rather large bat was now on intercept course with the box wielding ghost thrall
09-25-2016, 05:39 PM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2016 05:40 PM by Acolyte Doctor.)
"Ye Gods! Erm, I'mean c'est bon...magnifique, even!" Vanth whispers to Io. "Is'at glowy-shit supposa be normal."
09-25-2016, 05:43 PM
Vekna tried to read her book, but she kept getting distracted by the glowing and the ominous Latin chanting from the next room over. She set it down on the floor with a heavy sigh.

She hoped those cultists made it back before Lord Agar ascended or exploded or both.
09-25-2016, 10:03 PM
It's alright! The men deserve a break. So long as the children are all safe, he permits them to toss their guns!
09-25-2016, 11:13 PM
If Hern could, his eyes would have widened.

There were few things he truly understood, and fewer things his new fae nature allowed him to understand fully. But one of the things he became keenly aware of during his time in the Otherworld earning his freedom and giving the fae reason to fear his tread, was the feeling and the sight of the forces of creation as they drifted eeirely over the skies of that foreboding realm. The same forces that even just a hapless encounter with had changed him into what he is now.

The same forces he saw flooding into the room, sucked as if by a whirlpool around the Magma Heart by Lord Agar's command, and suddenly Hern became aware all the nonsensical magical forces floating around the room moving and shifting into patterns. There was... an insane amount of power here. If Lord Agar didn't become a god, Hern was certain his failure would mean they would all meet them in an untimely and humiliating fashion.

"Oh..." Hern said, his contemplative voice dropping, instead coming out a deep, singular, baritone. "Shit."

09-26-2016, 03:22 AM
Angie remanifested from beneath the door. "Hey guys, what did I-" she said, cutting off as she saw the vortex of red light and divine energy. "Damn, I missed the start!"

She looked over at Hern, noticing his pronouncement. In a sudden rush of smoke, she reappeared floating to match his height next to him, and spoke quietly, her smile momentarily gone. "Is that a 'shit' this is actually gonna work, or a 'shit' we should get out of the blast radius?"
09-26-2016, 03:31 AM
"I... I have no idea." Hern admitted. "Just never saw anything anywhere close to the amount of creative energy in one place without something changing." Hern said visibly taking a step or two back.

"Angélique, you are as bound by geas as I am, Lord Agar didn't order us to stay here, did he?"

09-26-2016, 03:33 AM
"He told me to witness his apotheosis. I say it's been witnessed," said Angie, watching the vortex as her tone grew more concerned. "Oh, fuck me sideways. He really is going to blow up, isn't he?"
09-26-2016, 03:34 AM
"... Perhaps we can witness his apotheosis from the frontlines instead?" Hern offered.

09-26-2016, 03:39 AM
Riachik scratched his head.

"Huh, that screwed up in an entirely unexpected way. Oh well."

He snapped his fingers, and a thin, shadowy grey demon appeared.

"Get rid of that ghost - you should know how to disrupt the spell, but in case you've forgotten, just rip out the soul powersource."

In a visibly worsened mood, he turned to look up at the keep. He felt an ancient magic flowing, swirling around what he assumed was the ritual chamber.

"So it begins."

09-26-2016, 03:40 AM
"We'll be able to witness it from Gloria if he really goes big," said Angie.