MARCH OF EVIL: WHERE IT ALL GOES WRONG
09-28-2016, 12:17 PM
RE: MARCH OF EVIL: WHERE IT ALL GOES WRONG
(09-27-2016 04:27 PM)Palamedes Wrote:  "Secret path discovered in the vampire's lair. It must be investigated. Follow the lieutenants in with your brigade. I will be with you in a moment."

Vespera wordlessly brings the horses under her control and moves to the beasts, looking at the abominations she would soon command. Needless to say each was sizable enough to hold at least a small rider, and more terrible than the last.

I haven't finished coming up with them all yet so I'll post in the morning when I have, sorry.

"Wait, why? We're gonna miss the apotheosis! The kids have been so excited for it, I don't want to disappoint them!"
09-30-2016, 09:41 AM
"I do not question the master's will."

Vespera leaves Anisim for the monster stable, taking a look at the five hideous monsters.

First was the Chimeric, one of Agar's first and most successful creations. It had the head and body of a lion, but had furred scales and instead of a tail had the body and head of a serpent. Both sets of teeth carried a powerful venom.

Second was the Bram. A retched creature with the body, forearms, and teeth of a bear but the back legs and head of a ram. It was the physically largest and strongest of the creations.

Third was the Demon Soul. It ostensibly looked like a bloated dire bat, however the bloating hid the fact that its body housed a massive hornet hive that it controlled. While still capable of flight, its heavier body meant it was limited to only a minute or so.

Fourth was one of Agar's more curious creations, in that it was a mistake. He had accidentally just combined a barrel full of snakes that he had intended for other monstrosities. The Anomaly was a massive frilled constrictor, except its frills and tail were made up of dozens of lesser snake heads and tails respectively.

Finally, and most insidiously, was the Proto-Man. Its name was... accurate. It appeared mostly as a rat and a greater ape mixed together, but rumours had it that there was a good deal of one of Agar's more annoying human foes into it.
10-06-2016, 05:49 AM
Hern kept running along towards the vampire's lair, following in the ghost woman's wake.

I hope you are right about this vampire's tunnel." he called ahead to Angie, "Or we're in for a world of trouble.

10-07-2016, 03:33 PM
Anisim sighs and shuffles the kids in. "Alright, alright, I GUESS WE'RE GONNA MISS THE ASCENSION, KIDS. You can thank AUNT PONY HERE for that!"
10-07-2016, 04:59 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2016 04:59 PM by Kocel.)
As Riachik called back the demon forces, the rear units of the human forces notice and react with irritation. Damn demons. Never putting their skin on the line, just mopping up afterwards.

Fortunately for Riachik, more were distracted by their commander leaving their ranks. One of Anisim's captains stops him as the Youth Brigade is led away.

"GENERAL ANISIM! The Ascension will be any moment now, right? The battle could happen at any time! Where are you going?"

Fortunately, as they speak, Thomas the Terrible marches the Youth Brigade to the vampire's den. He always followed orders to a 'T'!

------------------------------------------------------

The demon forces rushed to the store-rooms to grab what they could. The portal continued to crack and degrade. This wasn't good. By Riachik's estimate, they had fifteen minutes to a half hour, tops. He'd want to prioritize what he wanted to push through the portal first. The rest... Well, he could sneak it out after the Apotheosis. Lord Agar wouldn't notice, probably, being too distacted with being a god and all.

-------------------------------------------------------

The Demon Soul rested on the horns of the Bram as Vespera over-saw Meegor releasing the creatures. Well, most of them. He led the Proto-Man out of its cage, the creature still bound in chains, growling gutterally.

"Pony, the Proto-Man... It is wild, it will not listen to me, Pony! We must be careful of this one!"

The Chimeric and the Anomaly slink and slither respectively from their stalls. The Anomaly watched Meegor unsettlingly closely.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vekna stares down the demons, making them all very uncomfortable. The leader of the bunch gulps, waving his short-sword shakily.

"I... I'm not afraid of you! You're... You're just a big, weird snake! We're going to stab your stupid cultists, and you can just go whine to Lord Agar-"

A group of demons proceed to run in and grab whatever they can.

"LORD BLUDMAYNE'S ORDERS, GRAB WHAT YOU CAN, PORTAL'S GOIN' KAPUT!"

The lead demon drops his sword in shock.

"WHAT? The portal is- SHIT, NO TIME TO STAB CULTISTS, COME ON BOYS, GRAB WHAT YOU CAN!"

He scrambles for his blade, sheaths it, and grabs a barrel of pickles. The rest of his men cease threatening Vekna's cultists and start looting the room. One yanks a stool a cultist had been brandishing at them right out of his hands.

"LOOT! LOOT! LOOT!"

"I'm not getting stuck in this shithole of a plane!"

As they moved away from the cultists, the Head Cultist runs to Vekna, kneeling prone before her in worship, soon to be followed by the others.

"LADY VEKNA, THOU HATH SAVED US WITH THOU THREATENING, VIGILANT SILENCE! THOU DID NOT LEAVETH US TO DIE! WE ART NOT WORTHY OF THINE MERCY! ALLOW US TO REPAY THEE WITH CHEESE AND CHAMPAGNE!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Delilah throws up a salute.

"Hey, whatever you say, Comtesse! I'll go get the girls!"

She collapsed into a cloud of smoke with an audible 'bamf', Delilah proceeded to fly to the exit of the antechamber. She reframes at the door, holding up a hand.

"And you mean the Vamp Prick's basement, right? Of course ya do, that's where the Big Stupid Hole is. Hey, see you there, Auntie V!"

She re-poofed and left. As Hern, Io, and Angie left the prone Vangar behind, Vanth stayed to stabilize him and kick him awake.

"AGH! Guuuuhhhhhh, annnnyone catch da rock dat hit me?"

He sat up, and Vanth could see the damage done by the beam of light to the abomination. Half of Vangar's face and body were burned and heavily scarred, looking as if they melted. His right eye was covered in now-hardened, melted skin/stone, and his right horn was shorter, blackened, but now also much sharper, having melted to a weird point.

"Guh, muh face... Muh face! I'm all melted! I'm gonna... Did we kill it? Did we kill the thing?"

He watches as Vanth leaves out the door.

"W-wait! I... Guh, gotta... Gotta tell the others what happened to Lord Agar..."

Vangar stood shakily and started making his way to the door as well.

------------------------------

Alexi took his remaining vampiric guard, at least six skilled fighters, into the hole with him. With his night vision, he immediately saw that it opened up immensely within, widening out into a cavernous passage. He could see a maw of an opening at the end of it, framed with stalactites and stalagmites.

The air is still, but after a moment they feel a cool wind blow past them. Maybe this did lead outside?

-------------------------------

Hern, Vanth, Io, and Angelique step into the Tavern, finding it to be occupied by... The Youth Brigade? They were rooting about the place excitedly.

"COME ON, SOLDIERS, WE GOTTA FIND THIS SECRET PASSAGE FOR LORD AGAR!"

One of them sniffs a barrel of ale on the counter before turning away from it and moving on, disgusted by the smell of ale. A few in a corner chase off some particularly large rats out the door. This wasn't a very organized search, but they were so preoccupied they hadn't noticed the four Dark Lieutenants enter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Naryn salutes Tarek and sprints off as fast as his six legs will carry him, which is, fortunately, pretty fast.

It'd take him a bit to get the unfit to bring forth the hounds, though. Fortunately, they should have plenty of time, after all, nothing was getting through the magma curtain while it was...

Tarek, by virtue of being so close to the curtain, notices that the base of it has started to turn to volcanic stone. That was new.
10-07-2016, 05:05 PM
Vekna continued staring, unimpressed.

"THERE IS NO TIME FOR THAT. LORD AGAR EXPLODED. WE NEED TO FIND A WAY OUT."

Whether or not the Cultists decided to follow her, Vekna returned to meet up with the others in the tavern. And to search for the hidden passage, presumably. She had ORDER MAGIC, finding it would be pretty easy, right?
10-07-2016, 05:12 PM
"..." Io quietly scanned the area, looking for anything that seemed particularly out of place among the scurrying brigade. To think that she of all people had missed out on something of such magnitude. That was certainly disappointing, first and foremost.

"Hey." Her hand shot out, snagging one of the Youth Brigade by the shoulder. "Do me a favor and give me a list of everything you've searched so far." As she spoke, Io stuffed her hand in her bag and searched around for the map she had of this section of the Maw. She knew it was around here somewhere, and she wanted to sketch out the location of this 'secret passage' just in case she (and/or anybody else, she supposed) ever had any need to return here.
10-07-2016, 05:53 PM
"'Ey, kiddos, aren't ye a feckin' mess. Here's the deal, split into four groups and choose one o'us as ye bossman. And no, ye cannot choose de same as the other."
10-07-2016, 07:30 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2016 07:43 PM by Bramzter.)
"Those thralls better not have fled or else... It is so hard to get good help these days" Alexi grumbled while he goes forth into the cave, following the wind where it picks up looking for signs of his useless enthralled workforce. He stopped at the maw opening. Well that's cheery.... Are we sure they gone this way?
10-08-2016, 04:35 AM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2016 04:36 AM by Palamedes.)
Vespera speaks to and brings the five abominations under her control as best she can, commanding them to follow her and only kill her enemies - which doesn't include Meegor or anyone else here (yet). If the Proto-man remains belligerent, she promises its freedom under her, that is that as long as it follows her it will never find itself in chains again.

With the five of them, the horses, and Meegor she then heads off towards the inn to see if the lieutenants and youth brigade have found anything yet. If there were any corrupted spirits (specifically nature ones) she'd see if she could still influence them as well, but she didn't have her hopes up as much as she did with the beasts.
10-08-2016, 05:35 AM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2016 05:35 AM by chimericWilder.)
Well, that was confirmation that something was wrong. Agar wouldnt bring down the barrier before yelling something suitably melodramatic following a succesful ascension.

And to make matters worse, the demons were breaking ranks. What were those freaks doing? He wouldnt get the chance to slaughter paladins if Agar's other minions did not provide support. And what was this clamoring around the tavern?

Shooting a last longing look at the lava curtain, he turns away to address Meriel.

"You're in command until I return. Should battle be joined before then, lead a defensive retreat to cover the other forces. Do NOT order a charge against the enemy under any circumstances."

Then he turns to sprint away, yelling for all to hear, "The curtain is coming down! Form ranks!" repeating it a few times for good measure as he closed the distance to the fortress, to seek out the demon commander.

"You! What do you think you are doing?" he demands as he nears, leveling his halberd at Riachik.
10-08-2016, 06:16 AM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2016 06:17 AM by Demonsul.)
Angelique put on her nice smile again. "Alright kids, listen up!" she shouted, trying to draw all their attention. "Where's Anisim? All of you should probably go fetch him. Us grown-ups will find the secret passage for you, alright? So can you head off and go get him? I don't know how much time we have, so you'll need to hurry!"

As an aside, she spoke quietly to the other lieutenants so the kids wouldn't hear. "I'd rather not dig around with Anisim's loyal pups climbing all over everything and getting in the way, and besides, the tunnel should be in the wine cellar, not up here."
10-09-2016, 02:22 PM
"Iunno man, apparently the boss wants us down here? I don't get it, but if you want, you can bring the rest of the men here too. Might get this shit finished faster so we can get the kids back to see the ascension!"
10-09-2016, 02:33 PM
Riachik looked over the supplies being brought to the gate.

"Get the food and weapons through first! Those are vital for the war effort. The rest can wait!"

The one, the only, Vancho!
10-11-2016, 01:55 AM
Hern brushed his way past the soldiers as he scanend the bottom floor for any sign of where the Vampire had gone.

"́His ̶Th҉ralļś ̀a̴r̕e̢ ̡n͟o҉t̀ h̛er҉e,"͘ Hern said contemplatively, before snapping his head around as he sensed something. "There is a draft coming from deeper within the building. Angelique, can you follow it?"

10-11-2016, 04:42 AM
Riachik turned around to see a halberd pointed at him.

"What do you think I'm doing? The portal's going down! Something's gone wrong, and I don't intend to sit around while it happens!"

He whistled for some demon soldiers to back him up.

"And don't point that thing at me."

10-11-2016, 05:07 AM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2016 05:10 AM by chimericWilder.)
Tarek snarls, taking a step closer - though he had stopped himself short of being within striking distance of Riachik. Although not outside of lunging distance.

"I dont give a rats arse about your portal or whatever goods you're chucking through it. Unless you intend to jump headfirst through it within the next minute, you had better get your soldiers back into position right now or we'll all be fodder within the next hour or so, portal or no portal. Even if the damned thing was our way out of here, we'd bloody well need to defend it until our army could evacuate to fight another day. So unless you and all your demon rabble want to die with your backs to the wall in the name of stealing Agar's stores or whatever, I suggest you reconsider your priorities and mount a damned defense before the curtain falls and the paladins are on us. And while you're at it, use your demon magic to strengthen the curtain until we have a clue what is going on. Atleast we might stand a bloody chance of leaving this deathtrap alive, then."
10-11-2016, 06:39 AM
Riachik looked at Tarek incredulously.

"Strengthen the curtain? Defense against the paladins? Didn't Lord Agar ascend? I thought he'd deal with it - that's why I'm focused on taking what he promised us before the portal falls!"

10-11-2016, 08:46 AM
"Perhaps, perhaps not, but eitherway he ordered your troops to be ready for battle, and they had better be. I dont care if you're stealing or securing whats yours, but you'd better bloody not think you can slink away from this battle. Do as you wish with your logistics assistants or whatever you call them but get your troops back into position!"
10-11-2016, 11:27 AM
Riachik sighed.

"Have patience, we'll be ready for battle. Don't expect the Paladins to break through in fifteen minutes, which is how much time I've got before my only way home goes kaput. So please, get out of my way and let me work, or you'll find a distinct lack of my troops in the battle."

10-11-2016, 12:43 PM
Tarek laughs.

"Is that supposed to be a threat? Odds are, if your men fail to be at their posts when that curtain comes down, everyone within this fortress will die, including you. The paladins are not going to play nice and wait for your soldiers to get back in position, line up in formation and announce that they are ready to fight, and in any event they'll be of little use to you beyond the men you've already got - they'll just trip over each other rushing every which way, but if you are so confident that you need them to stuff more things through your portal, go send a contingent to delay the curtain from falling. As long as you are ready to fight when they charge, I do not care for the specifics, but I'll not let you undermine Agar's orders and our chance at living through this because you needed a few more hands for your damned supplies."
10-11-2016, 03:16 PM
Riachik laughs back.

"You think I care about what happens to this place? The moment I've got those supplies though, I'm outta here. Have fun dealing with those paladins, Tarek."

He turns to his underlings.

"Troops! Form up! As soon as those greenies finish carrying through the goods, we march out!"

10-12-2016, 11:05 AM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2016 11:06 AM by chimericWilder.)
Tarek breaks into a nasty grin, showing off a double-row of jagged fangs in the process. "Scurry scurry, little rats, for the night is long and full of cats," he sing-songs mockingly. "We shall see what you've left to say when your precious portal is no more and you realize that you are trapped and out of time. I'll certainly not be there to protect your coward's hide. Or will you be the first to flee? Truly a leader worthy of following, that," he says, loudly enough for the nearest soldiers to hear. Then he rears, paws flailing in the air for a moment as if to crush the demon, before he twists the bulk of his body out of the way, turning to charge back to his forces.

In short order, the abominations have abandoned their position at the forefront of the courtyard, taking up a more defensive position alongside the human forces instead, and leaving the path towards the rearside of the fortress and the demon's portal unguarded - by them, atleast. Tarek hated giving up the more aggressive positioning, but it was looking more and more like they would be on the defending side. No use charging off and getting cut down like a dog, then.