Closed / Abandoned Infection: Lake Duhm Retreat
04-25-2017, 08:14 AM
RE: Infection: Lake Duhm Retreat
It was dark by the time everyone had been released. Gorgeous clear skies, the stars clearly visible. The moon shone in a thin crescent, and the woods, as they did, loomed on all sides. The lights were on in the cabins, as one could see through the cracks around the door. The main light source in the area was the campfire, burning higher than one would think was reasonable. Any time device checked would reveal it was 9:00.
04-25-2017, 09:44 AM
"This like, super totally blows." Veronica made her way out of her team's side of the portable, dragging her feet as she headed towards the campfire. This was not what she signed up for. Like, at all. This was just supposed to be some dumb summer job that she could use to get some money for the new tank she had her eye on. Ooh, it was so beautiful, but now...

Veronica sighed, planting herself down onto one of the logs so that she could think about this dumb stuff. There was like, so many fucked up things about this, but the worst was that her lips were super chapped and she totally forgot her chapstick at home. Mega lame. Veronica took a sip of water.
04-25-2017, 12:19 PM
Switchy steps out of the cabin, clearly somewhat shaken and already smoking a joint. He searches desperately for his dog, concern filling his voice.

"Like, Dooby Scoo!!! Where are you?!?"
04-25-2017, 12:38 PM (This post was last modified: 04-25-2017 12:46 PM by Demonsul.)
Jon walked back to the cabins, a distant wide-eyed look on his face. He seemed stunned, and more than a little scared.

Numbly, he entered the mens' cabin and set about silently unpacking the bare minimum things he'd need for the night.
04-25-2017, 02:38 PM
Kate staggered out of the portable and started searching blearily in the dark for her sister. "Kat? Kat?! Kat, where are you? Oh, God, please be okay, don't be dead as punishment for giving all your Barbies mushroom cuts that one time..."
04-25-2017, 02:53 PM
Kat walks out, absentmindedly patting Dooby as the dog left and she looked around. Finally she spotted her target.

"Kate!"

She ran up and threw herself at her sister, giving her a big old hug she probably couldn't stop if she tried.
04-25-2017, 03:16 PM (This post was last modified: 04-25-2017 03:50 PM by Vancho1.)
Albert walked out of the portable a little after the others, watching everyone and making sure he doesn't go too close.

The one, the only, Vancho!
04-25-2017, 03:17 PM
For the first time in a while (awkward insisted-on family photos at every graduation or possible life event notwithstanding), Kate hugged Kat back. She didn't even roll her eyes. "Oh my God, you're okay. Oh, fuck, I thought maybe..." I have spent the last few minutes imagining all the ways that you could have met a hideous death and it would have been all my fault since you only applied to this dumb job because of me anyways and to be completely honest I spent a little time imagining what would happen if you disappeared, mostly when I was a kid but a little sometimes after but I never wanted it to happen for real and I know I'm supposed to be the sensible one who doesn't wander into the woods randomly cause they saw a pretty bug and Mom and Dad said I have to look after you but I have NO IDEA WHAT THE PROTOCOL IS IN A POPULARITY GAME TO THE DEATH PLEASE HELP.

"I thought maybe you might not have noticed they didn't care which way the two of us went," was what she actually ended up saying. It was a closer thing than she would have liked. "C'mon, let's get back to the cabin and talk this out. I'm, um. Glad you're okay." It was getting late.
04-25-2017, 03:22 PM
Dooby bolted out of the left portable door! Bounded across the dirt! Leaped into Switchy's arms! And likely promptly fell, but continued circling around his legs, barking happily, tail wagging.
04-25-2017, 04:10 PM
Kat lightly knocks Kate over the head. "Was worried about you too. And... yeah, Ima said it was random and I was reading into it, but I mean, if it was one of us they'd have stopped us from misinterpreting who got stuck with b r a d."

It was a stupid thing, but Kat almost wanted to thank Kate for playing all of those over-competitive logic games all the time in highschool.
04-26-2017, 02:33 PM
9:28...
04-26-2017, 03:37 PM
Veronica checked her phone. Oh. She sighed, rubbing at her arms despite the fire roaring in front of her. This totally blew. She got up and licked at her lips. Maybe sitting in front of the fire while her lips were chapped was a seriously bad idea. Veronica took a sip of water in order to attempt to, like, hydrate her lips or something, before heading back into the cabin.
04-27-2017, 05:44 AM
Everyone who wasn't an idiot made their ways to their cabins.

Dooby went into the men's cabin, luring his idiot inside.

Any remaining idiots were rushed along by Arthur.

Everyone but Gus was in their respective cabins.

9:30
04-27-2017, 05:58 AM
Jon had finished unpacking the few things he'd needed, and was just kind of lying on the bed he'd claimed, staring at the bottom of the bunk above. He still seemed stunned, but he couldn't stop thinking about the situation.
04-27-2017, 06:49 AM
Al also sat on the bed he'd claimed, and got out his carving knife. He distracted himself from his horrible, dark thoughts by thinking back to his childhood and his Polish grandfather Wojciech, who had taught him how to carve. His hands moved subconsciously, tracing out the lines of his grandmother's sand symbols which were the first thing that old Wojciech taught him to carve "Since they were easy enough to copy, and the old bat wouldn't mind making them more permanent".

04-27-2017, 09:10 AM
Kat just sits up in her bunk, looking glum.

"Hey uh, does anyone need anything now that we're all trapped in this together? Otherwise I'm going to start going through my stuff and, you know, possibly contaminating it."
04-27-2017, 09:41 AM
Veronica had taken up residence in her upper bunk, her suitcase and backpack nestled up there with her. She had buried her face in her arms, laying on her stomach with her face in her pillow. Totally lame. At Kat's words, Veronica peered up over the edge of her bunk, looking over at her.

"...nah." She stuffed her face back into her pillow, before rolling onto her side. Something pushed up against her, and Veronica pulled out her chapstick. Ooh. She sat up and put a little bit on before flopping onto her back and staring at the ceiling. Lame.
04-27-2017, 10:22 AM
Kate didn't sit down. She stood in front of Kat's bunk, bouncing on her heels, fists clenched. "Come on, Kat, get up! We have to start sweeping this place, guys. Make sure there's nothing they left in here that could hurt us." Or microphones that could record them if they planned an escape strategy, but saying that out loud would kind of defeat the purpose of finding potential microphones in the first place.
04-27-2017, 10:42 AM
Once Trina was let out of the portable she got to the cabin as fast as she could. She went through her stuff and pulled out her laptop and her internet stick and plugged it in. She had low hopes of it working but it was worth a shot, besides, weren't they built for places with low reception?
04-27-2017, 10:53 AM
After leaving that horrible team meeting, Ronnie makes a beeline for the cabins. There's nowhere else she wants to be right now. Well, besides, like, out of here, but that ain't attainable.

Once everyone else is inside, she relaxes a little bit. Just a little. She's sitting at the edge of her bottom bunk, legs thrown over the side of her mattress. Her backpack is set beside her, sitting upright like another little person. What a good friend.

"It, like, doesn't matter if we sweep the place?" Her back arches as she places her elbows on her knees, propping her face in her hands. "We're still stuck here and even if they can't hear us they still, like, totally want us dead? Unless we find an escape route it's, like, pretty useless." A mighty sigh leaves her as she groans. "Like, how are we supposed to even handle this? It's not like we can just up and run the heck away into the wilderness."
04-27-2017, 11:44 AM
One of the posts on Al's bunk was now engraved with old Polish symbols. Looked nice!

Trina, unfortunately, had no luck with that business. Just too far out in the boonies, it seemed.
04-27-2017, 03:19 PM
"I... alright Kate, if you think they'd have stuff like that. And I mean, if they're letting us all meet up like this we can exchange notes I guess? Not sure if that would help."
04-27-2017, 03:29 PM
Trina didn't want anything to do with the others. Opening yourself can just lead into backstabs. Though she was to stressed to play any of her games. She set up her vape and started vaping. She blew her smoke out the window though. I mean she still didn't want to go out of her way to harm anyone. She just remained quiet in her corner.
04-27-2017, 04:27 PM
10:00. The lights went out suddenly, and the nine in their cabins felt sleep take them. Enough time to crawl into beds, unless they were stubborn. Likely a couple of dorks on the floor.

And then, they all started blinking awake, but things were... strange.

It was very bright. They were all outside. The ground was soft, grassy. The gentle lapping sound of water carried on a breeze, and leaves up above rustled with it. As eyes got used to use, palm fronds filled their vision... Definitely not native to the area. Bleary, upon sitting up and looking, they'd note they were all laid out in a circle around a chest and trumpet, which were laid out on a small checkered blanket. There was a key in front of it. Everyone was wearing what they wore when they fell asleep, what they wore yesterday. Except bags. Nobody had their bags.

Albert woke up in a sleeping bag. Which, one supposes, meant he was in fact an exception, having his bag. His carving knife was in his pocket, and on his head was a red beanie with "THE BOSS" on it. He kicked something in the bag, his prescription.

Brad was beside him, his jump rope wrapped around his arm. Also: a new and unfamiliar container of deodorant was in his pocket. Huh.

Kat, in her pocket, found a phone with something odd plugged into the bottom. Likely a solar powered charger. She also found her mace in her jacket pocket, her empty water bottle, and her lighter.

Ronna had her water bottle, empty, and her book on her stomach. Her tube of chapstick was in her pocket, and in the hand that didn't have her bottle had her umbrella.

Trina found her phone in her pocket, and a bottle of her sunscreen in her hand.

Jon had an oar laid over his chest. His knife was in his pocket, and his water bottle was placed over his hand. Empty.

Switchy had his arms around Dooby Scoo, asleep and curled up on his chest. Beside him was a bag of dog food, a hatchet poking out the top, and Dooby's meds. Apparently they weren't messing with that kind of thing.

Ronnie had a small white plastic box lying on her stomach. A red cross was painted on the top. Her mace was in her pocket.

Kate had an unfamiliar phone in her pocket. It had a thick cover over it, likely waterproof. Her birdwatching book and binoculars were laid upon her.
04-27-2017, 04:33 PM
"...wha?" said Jon blearily.
04-27-2017, 04:35 PM
Albert unzips the bag and touches his head.

"Wha? Why am I wearing this hat?"

He quickly takes it off and stashes it in his sleeping bag.

"We've been taken somewhere. The chest... That must be important."

04-27-2017, 04:38 PM
"Like, huh?" Said Switchy weedily.
04-27-2017, 04:41 PM
Jon rubbed his eyes and sat up. "Urgh... where are we? Am I dreaming?"
04-27-2017, 04:44 PM
Trina was super confused... Where... were they?? This was not... This didn't add up. Did her dream finally come to fruition and she ended up in an anime? Or some sort of super immersive MMO? Where if you die in the game you die in real life? She pulled out the heavy object in her pocket. Seeing it was a phone she went to check the time (and signal/location.)
04-27-2017, 04:45 PM
Upon waking up... Veronica coughed. Her throat was, like, so super dry. She let out a few more quiet coughs before rolling onto her side and curling into a ball. That didn't help the sun beating down onto her, though. She blindly fumbled for the umbrella in her hand, undoing the strap before popping it open and propping it up against herself to block out some of the sun. Then, Veronica closed her eyes again.
04-27-2017, 04:47 PM (This post was last modified: 04-27-2017 04:51 PM by Corn.)
It was 7 in the morning. When she swiped past the lock screen, she found it was already open to a note taking application, with a new note in it.

Morning Trina!
Couldn't grab you what you wanted, hope this will suffice!
Good luck!
-Ima

No luck with a signal or location.
04-27-2017, 04:51 PM (This post was last modified: 04-27-2017 04:52 PM by pail.)
Trina frowned. What did she mean by what she wanted..? Either way Trina wrote down how she woke up and what items she had, and what items other people had. The ones she could see anyways. She also looked to see if there were anymore apps.
04-27-2017, 04:55 PM (This post was last modified: 04-27-2017 04:58 PM by Corn.)
There were no new applications in Trina's phone. However, she had a LOT more books downloaded her book holding application. Classics, mostly. And a book about dog breeds. Plus a whole ton of scary story compilations. And something by an unknown author. "Infection: A Guide"
04-27-2017, 05:03 PM
Trina's eyes widened, quickly set a password for her phone (it was the date of her favorite characters birthdate. Then she looked around and opened the "Infection: A Guide" book. She would lock her phone as soon as anyone approached her though.
04-28-2017, 10:02 AM
OH GOD.

OH NO WHAT A HORRIBLE DREAM.

Ronnie jolts awake with a gasp, lurching! Her hair's a bit of a mess, and she's quick to brush it back into place, her eyes wild as they try to take in her setting. Though that doesn't help! What a horrible dream! Like, one of the worst! So real, too! Like that one time she lucid dreamed she was on The Today Show!

"Wh-wh-?" She rubs at one eye with the butt of her palm, her face scrunching in concentration. "Did...are we actually on, like, a legit island? Like they asked? Did-- did they, like, totally drug us or something?" So not cool. Totally the opposite of alright!
04-28-2017, 02:21 PM
Since nobody else is doing it, Al zips up his stuff in his bag and goes up to the chest to check it out.

04-28-2017, 02:24 PM
It was a chest. Mid-sized. It was locked. There was a key, like, right in front of it.

Dooby rustled, and woke gently on Switchy's chest. He blinked, and looked over. He wished he had thumbs. He dearly wished he had thumbs, because he knew EXACTLY what he'd do with them if he had them.
04-28-2017, 02:56 PM
Al asks, "Anyone mind me unlocking this?"

04-28-2017, 02:58 PM
"Mmrmph." Veronica replied, wrapping her arms around her book and snoring quietly.
04-28-2017, 03:02 PM
"BRAD CHADSON DON'T NEED NO KEY, BRAH!"

Brad comes out of nowhere and stomps the chest open.
04-28-2017, 03:04 PM
Albert dives out of the way to not get touched by that asshole.

04-28-2017, 03:22 PM
It...

It... worked? His foot just went through the top. It was fucking nuts. Brad Chadson just, stomped through the chest. It, comically, then refused to get off of his foot, but after some prying it came loose. Inside was a note, hand written.

"Morning Campers!

So, think the aim of the game today is pretty obvious! We did our best to get all your items together, but we couldn't quite grab all of them, so think of everything else you have in your pockets as an apology for that. We've got breakfast on the other shore, sooooo hustle!

Oh, also? Another surprise when you get back. First team to get everyone here gets a prize! A singular dose of a cure. Figure you guys'll need it by the end of this. We're not hovering around this time, so you guys do whatever, just make it work! Have fun, and good luck!

❤Ima"
04-28-2017, 03:25 PM
Jon hauled himself to his feet, leaning on the oar. He then looked at the oar.

"Oh god."
04-28-2017, 03:25 PM
Albert grabs the trumpet and stashes it in his sleeping bag, and then moves over to the palms.

"We've got to find or make a boat or something. I'll scout around."

With that he skedaddles off to search the place.

04-28-2017, 03:32 PM
At the sound of the chest being obliterated, Veronica let out a quiet 'mmph' and rolled over. She adjusted the umbrella so that she could see what the others were doing that was causing such a ruckus. Veronica coughed and glared.

"God, I've got like... the worst headache and my throat like, is super scratchy. Can you guys like... shut up, please?"
04-28-2017, 03:33 PM
"Why don't we just swim, brahs, not that hard."

Brad picks pieces of chest off his foot.
04-28-2017, 03:47 PM (This post was last modified: 04-28-2017 03:48 PM by Corn.)
Al exited the palm circle, and found the island they were on was fairly simple. The grassy raised area was in the shape of an infinity symbol, the palm circle taking up most of one half. On the other end, there was an orange paddleboard, with a sticky note on it. "4 Jon"

The grassy areas were surrounded by several yards of sand, gently sloping into the water. The sand was completely smooth, unbroken. Weak waves lapped at the shore. Also, here it was obvious. They were in the middle of Lake Duhm. The mountain chain the park was also known for was visible over the tops of the trees on the other shore. The mountain? Surprisingly close. The shore? Unfortunately not so much. Lake Duhm was pretty wide, and pretty deep.
04-28-2017, 03:48 PM
Kate managed to shake off her shock and jumped to her feet. “Is everyone okay? No one’s hurt or feeling, you know… sick at all? No one woke up in time to see where those assholes went, right?”

Her neck was cramping but she hung the binoculars around them anyways (she still remembered the set that she’d dropped when she was twelve. Worst birthday ever.) Once they were secure, she started messing with the phone to see if she could get any kind of signal or if the thing even had power.
04-28-2017, 04:00 PM
"So... You brahs know how we win this, right?"

Brad turns to his team.

"I'll hold one of the other team down and the rest of you make a boat or whatever. Then I'll use the paddle board to get over first. Bam, we get the cure shit. Bradster strategy."
04-28-2017, 04:06 PM
“Don’t be dumb, there’s no way we’re competing for this,” Kate said, eyes locked on her phone. After a second she realized that Brad was talking to his team and not her, but the point still stood. Besides, maybe he thought she was Kat. “We’re not, right? That’s absurd. We’re all stuck in this together.”