Closed / Abandoned Infection: Lake Duhm Retreat
04-28-2017, 04:08 PM
RE: Infection: Lake Duhm Retreat
Veronica sighed, sitting up and rubbing at her head. Jeez, looks like she was like, totally not going to get anymore sleep. Lame. Her head hurt and she was super thirsty. She picked up the umbrella, making sure it was still keeping her in the shade, and squinted at Brad as he talked. It was super bright out here.

"Like, why are you trying to infect people?" Veronica asked him. "What if, like, you're infected? Or what if you totally infect yourself? And wouldn't the other team, like, stop you?"
04-28-2017, 04:10 PM
Kate's phone did have power! She found that it was 7 in the morning, and when she got past the lock screen it was opened to a note taking application, with a single note in it.

"Good morning, Kate.
Ima's going crazy with all the notes and hints and shit, figure I should put something out there.
Trouble is, I'm pretty sure you're actually going to look for things, so there's not much of a point.
Don't let me down I guess.
-Artie"
04-28-2017, 04:11 PM
Jon looked around. "Where do we even need to get to?" He rubbed his face again, dragging the oar off to go explore.
04-28-2017, 04:13 PM
Albert circles the island, looking for anything other than the paddleboard that would float. Anything in the palms, perhaps?

The one, the only, Vancho!
04-28-2017, 04:13 PM
Kate didn't like that a maniac apparently had her pegged, because she was indeed going to look for stuff! She started checking the phone's memory for any other notes, pictures, or contacts, as well as seeing if she could get any kind of signal.
04-28-2017, 04:27 PM
"I dunno how they're keeping track of this infection stuff, but hey, whatever. Other team gets infected, you all just give me the cure I won for us. Quad pro crow, brah."
04-28-2017, 04:33 PM
Al went through the palms, and came up with a fishing pole! Hook and line already set up.

Kate had no luck with a signal. No other notes, and only one contact. "A". There were several pictures of Ima on it! They were all very hammy, posed. One where she was "doing her taxes", and another where she was "teaching a bear to ride a bike" among others.

She saw nothing out of the ordinary, but upon a secondary glance she realized one application wasn't quite what she thought it was. The icon was of a gear, and the title was: "Optional, if you like dumb games."
04-28-2017, 04:38 PM
... Trina put on her sunscreen and walked up to read the note no one bothered to read out loud. Fuck! Well wait a second... isn't any team gettin a cure technically a win? Then again... if it was her who was infected she wouldn't be able to get it quickly. She didn't want to waist time. Trina started going around the island looking for flowers.
04-28-2017, 05:06 PM
Kate decided to leave the gear to poke later - there was no need to admit just then that she totally did like dumb games. She followed Trina to read the note, then, with a grimace, started scanning the horizon with her binoculars for any sign of civilization.
04-28-2017, 05:14 PM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2017 07:11 AM by pail.)
Trina glanced at Kate and debated weather or not she should show the small bit of information she got. She decided it would be better for them to pool information from everyone.

".... Hey... Kate... I got this on my phone." She showed her a book in a Library application called Infection: A Guide. It had three pages to it.

Page one: "Come on Trina."

Page two: "You've got the right idea though. :)"

Page three: A color picture of a field of bluebonnets, poorly aligned with the page.

"...I'm looking for these flowers..."
04-28-2017, 07:36 PM
"I think it would be better to work together..." Veronica said to Brad, and not just because Veronica was on the other team. It would be like, super fucked if things just started falling apart just because Brad couldn't keep his testosterone under wraps. Still holding out the umbrella, Veronica pulled herself to her feet.

"I'm, like, super thirsty." She announced, slowly pulling herself to her feet, adjusting the umbrella so that it covered her up. Making sure she had her water bottle, Veronica walked away, heading to the shore. Once there, she stood out and looked over the scene. It was so super cool, if only people weren't, like, dying of an infection and shit. Her gaze dropped down from the mountains, scanning the water for any cute fish. She absentmindedly wondered if the water was clean enough to drink (and lowkey considered drinking it either way).
04-29-2017, 07:08 AM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2017 07:28 AM by Corn.)
Trina did not find any flowers in her search.

Kate scanned the land beyond the lake. As she presumably turned around to get a good look at the whole place, she would note there were several paths leading out of the area, and three small buildings were around. All of them had red crosses painted on the outside, and one had a badge symbol painted in green. When she looked into the trees in the distance, she found that the tops of the pines were significantly thinner in three distinct areas. One was much more pronounced than the others. Probably camp. Several small rivers fed the lake. She also noted that the skies were clear. Nothing flew, no smoke from any direction, no clouds.

Ronna was right. The place was gorgeous, and had this not been a complete setup? It would have been a totally awesome trip. The water was fairly clear (the top was anyway, she couldn't quite see the bottom), and she noted a few things within them. Black and white crappies, some minnows (maybe fatheads,) lake herring, smallmouth bass, ooh, was that a lamprey? Gross. Unfortunately there was nothing too cute. However, it was clear the lake was teeming with underwater life, and- oh holy SHIT that was a big eel. Ronna got a load of one huge eel, as it bit into a black crappie and slunk back down to the lake bed. She didn't recognize what kind it was. Huh.
04-29-2017, 07:21 AM
Kat was basically the last to get up, not because she was asleep but because she was just so damn sure this wasn't real. Unfortunately that meant she missed a whole lot of what was going on.

When she did get up she looked at her phone, and checked to see if she had any reception or messages.

Then, she ran after Kate and Trina.

"Hey, where are you guys going? H-how did we even get here?"
04-29-2017, 07:45 AM
Kat had no reception, and when she opened the phone it was set on the sole note in a note taking application.

Mooooorning Kat!
Hope you get some use out of this! Really hope it doesn't take long enough for you to need the charger though, to be honest.
Good luck!
❤Ima

There were no messages, but there was an empty space for them under the only contact on that phone. "C".
04-29-2017, 12:59 PM
"Actually, like, we're all very much not in this totally together and that's sort of been the point of the whole psychotic exercise?" Ronnie's voice makes it sound like a question, but it's totally not. "We, like, need that dose of not-sickness, and that absolute insane-o madman and also woman def won't give us two. LET'S HUSTLE TEAM TWO! We got places to, like, be!"

Ronnie hoists her way to her feet, makes sure she's grabbed everything, and then takes a quick peek in her med kit.
04-29-2017, 01:05 PM
Al picks up the fishing pole.

"Great. Might as well do this."

He casts the line out into the water, not expecting to catch anything.

04-29-2017, 02:41 PM
Contents of Ronnie's med kit:
3- alcohol wipes
3- tiny circular bandages
3- regular bandages
1- big bandage
1- small roll of gauze
1- pair of tweezers
1- ... scalpel?
1- single use chemical ice pack
1- single use chemical hot pack
1- latex glove
1- safety pin

Good that Albert expected nothing! It seemed nothing in the lake was interested in an empty hook.
04-29-2017, 05:38 PM
Kat sends a message to "C".

who is this?
04-29-2017, 05:46 PM
The message didn't send. No signal!
04-30-2017, 03:22 AM
"Those assholes dragged us here," Kate said, putting down the binoculars, "and yes, that is very creepy, and no, we are not going to think about it too hard just now. We just have to get out of here."

"I didn't see any flowers," she said to Trina. "I can see camp, though. I think." She pointed it out to the others, along with the three strange paths and buildings. "Red cross, wasn't that the med kit symbol? For Veronica?" The symbols were already starting to blur - it had been a stressful twenty-four hours.
04-30-2017, 10:10 AM
None of these fish were particularly adorbs, though Veronica could appreciate all sorts of fish. Now, Ao Kuang, her Peacock Eel... he was a beaut! Gosh, he was so cute and majestic, slender and yet muscular with the speed to snatch up a small creature with a simple movement... Veronica let out a dreamy sigh before a lamprey caught her eyes. She watched it for a moment. Lamprey had been on her 'to raise' list for a while now... she'd probably indulge herself if... no, when she got out of this.

That eel, however... Veronica frowned. There was only one species of freshwater eel, and Veronica was pretty sure that they weren't that big, like wow. He was a huge one, and Veronica very briefly considered diving into the water in order to get a closer look. Her eyes flicked upwards, and she remembered the slideshow from yesterday. Right... A shudder ran down her spine while she took in the size of the lake. She wouldn't make it across anyway...

Still, Veronica figured that the others could figure something out. Thinking wasn't her strong suit, fish were. She just continued to stroll along the shore, watching the water for more cute fish and anything that remotely stood out. Maybe those weirdos threw something into the water for them to use.
05-01-2017, 03:11 AM
"Did either of you get any weird thing when you woke up," Kat asks, holding up her phone. "They also left me with a bunch of random bits of what I brought, for some reason."
05-01-2017, 04:11 AM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2017 04:12 AM by Demonsul.)
After he found it, Jon went to go sit on the beach next to his paddleboard, thinking.

He plucked one of the blades of grass and rolled it between his fingers idly as he thought. He was struggling to adjust to this new reality of them being the playthings of a psychopathic couple, but there had to be some way out of this, if only he could think of it.
05-01-2017, 04:14 AM
A scalpel? Goodness. Ronnie closes her med kit quickly, glancing around for the other members of her team.
"Team two!!! Uh-uh...b-boat boy? And um...phone guy? Or girl? Person? People? Let's hurry it up!" She springs to her feet, frowning. "Like...we gotta get to shore and all that stuff! Food, remember? Let's find a way across! But maybe, like...not swimming? That'd be a sure fire way to transmit stuff if any of us are infected. Not to mention what might be in the lake." Like...both those old people! In scuba gear! With guns!!!
05-01-2017, 04:25 AM
Albert takes out his knife and starts cutting whatever wood or branches or something he can from the palms. Maybe he can build a raft.

05-01-2017, 04:31 AM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2017 04:37 AM by Corn.)
Ronna took a lovely stroll around the beach. She actually saw some... Hold on. No she needed to take a better look. Some... Koi? Koi. In a lake in North America. Ok. She counted two of them, and saw no more. Weird. As she continued her search, by where Jon was sitting, she saw an odd protrusion in the mud. Sort of angled, like a cube tipped on its side with a corner up. Just mud though, nothing poked through. It was maybe fifteen feet from shore.

AND THEN IMA AND ARTIE ROSE FROM THE LAKE
THEY HAD OLD TIMEY SCUBA GEAR, AND WERE PACKING MAJOR HEAT
DOOBY TRIED VALIENTLY TO FIGHT THEM BUT THEY WERE TOO STRONG!!!

Actually on that note.

Dooby got off of his owner, and got munching on some of his food.

Edit: Palms don't exactly have branches in the traditional sense, but Al was able to get fronds off. Nearly cut his hand a time or two, but with a little time he was able to get live or dead ones off as he pleased.

Cocothrinax borhidiana is the palm type in question for visual reference. These ones are about ten feet tall.
05-01-2017, 04:41 AM
Al curses every time he nearly cuts himself, but he looks satisfied with the pile of palm fronds. They wouldn't hold much weight, probably, but maybe enough of them could get one person across, slowly.

He checks the fishing pole to see how much extra line there is.

05-01-2017, 10:33 AM
"Just my binoculars and my birdwatching book," Kate told Kat, showing her. "Like that's really going to help." Although there probably were some cool birds on this island, hiding from all the maniacs where Kate would never find them.

"And yeah, Ronnie, you're right. We can't swim or we're all infected and then the dumb cure's pointless anyways. Come on, lets get everyone together and we'll think of a way out of this, okay? We can search the island a lot faster with a bunch of people." Maybe if she just didn't mention the team competition thing, it would go away, just like her seething resentment when her crush asked Kat to prom that one time!

(She was 100% not over that.)
05-01-2017, 11:52 AM
There was a ton of extra line. Hard to tell how much exactly, but unless Al wanted to knit himself a new sleeping bag, he'd probably be fine. He noted the material was unfamiliar. A braid of something he couldn't name.
05-01-2017, 12:00 PM
Trina shook her head. She was kinda distracted by looking around that she didn't respond to the conversation that quickly. "...I got nothing really special on my phone besides lots of E-books and a note application. Well... I did also wake up with sunscreen too... The cross is also Ronnie' symbol yeah... Hey Ronnie... You should come check this out with us."
05-01-2017, 12:26 PM
At the mention of her name, Ronnie looks over. Once it becomes clear the girls want her to look at something, she makes her way over and...
squints.

"Rrrrm...I mean, those places are probably...I dunno. I got a bad feeling about them? Like, they prolly want us to go there? What if they're like booby-trapped, or the old people are waiting in there with like, guns." Not in scuba suits, though. Oh, in doctor's outfits! A doctor and a nurse! But like, the old lady was totally the doctor and the old man was totally the nurse. Fuck gender norms, right? Totally. "I'd be willing to go look into them if other people would, like, come with me? There might be something we can use...or gloves we can grab."
05-01-2017, 01:26 PM
"... I'll go..." Trina mumbled. She was worried about traps but she was more worried about them not finding an important item. Because if they don't find that, then they are pretty much dead anyways.
05-01-2017, 02:32 PM
"Koi..." Veronica knew that some people kept koi as pets, but only in like... designated koi ponds, water gardens, or in tanks occasionally. So then what was one doing, like, all the way out here in a lake like this? Did somebody just... dump them in here? Oh my god, that was like, so super totally irresponsible. Veronica huffed in annoyance, and then coughed. Gosh, her throat felt so scratchy. Maybe it was due to being out in the sun for so long...

Then, when the Koi swam away, she saw it. A strange shape just, like, jutting out of the ground, covered in mud. She cocked an eyebrow, leaning forward a bit to get a better look. Yeah, definitely looked like something was there. Totally weird. She turned around, looking for anybody that was on her team. All she was met with was the sight of Jon sitting there. Damn. Veronica looked around a little bit more before sighing. It was better to work together with somebody than work on her own, she supposed.

"Yoohoo!" Veronica called out to Jon even as she jogged up to him. "So, like, what's up, uh..." Uh oh, uber bad. She, like, totally didn't remember this guy's name. Mega whoops! Instead of saying his name like she intended, Veronica just continued on. "Okay, so I just like, totally saw something that I think would be, like, super beneficial for us to check out, y'know? Because if it's, like, actually something and not a super red herring, then we could totally like, be on the good foot, right? Can you, like, come with me to stand, like, over there?" She pointed out where she had been standing just before the conversation. "Look, right there!" Veronica made her way over to her previous spot and pointed out the mud shape to Jon, standing there and pointing (with the occasional 'hey, look') until he came over and looked at it.
05-01-2017, 06:46 PM
Albert sees Veronica making a commotion about something in the water and goes over to look at it.

"Huh, might be able to fish that out."

He casts his line and tries to hook the shape.

05-01-2017, 06:57 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2017 07:00 PM by Protoman.)
Switchy moves the hatchet and lifts the bag of dogfood.

Then puts it back down.

Then lifts it again.

Then puts it back down.

This continues for a long while before he accepts this reality.

"Like... Where's the special stuff, dude!?"

Switchy sounds LEGIT FUCKING PANICKED HERE HOLY SHIT.
05-02-2017, 10:29 AM
"I'll go too," Kate said to Ronnie and Trina. "We should try to get everyone working on something though, right? Even if its just exploring or sitting still and not touching anything or whatever they want. Just so no one wanders off and gets hurt." Ronnie was right, there could be traps all over the place.
05-02-2017, 10:34 AM
"So what, we just split up into pairs or something and explore the island? Oh right, and I also have these," Kat adds, taking out her mace, water bottle, and lighter, "for what good they're worth."
05-02-2017, 10:53 AM
Jon looked over when Veronica started calling to him, and got up, dragging his board and oar over. "What did you find?" he said, his voice flat. "Maybe it's what we need, but I don't see any way to get it out of the water without just diving in."

He paused. "Maybe just one person could head out there and try and grab it. I doubt they'll contaminate the entire lake."
05-02-2017, 10:57 AM
A thought came to some of the campers. They were severely overestimating the size of the island. If they all put on some gloves and held hands in a big circle, they would encircle half of the grassy part of the island.

Al tried to fish out the object. It caught on something, and he tugged. The thing... budged. A little bit. It was a lot more difficult to get out than it at first appeared. Either very stuck, or very heavy. He couldn't manage it.
05-02-2017, 11:33 AM
Kat sees Switchy panicking.

"Hey, Switchy has a hatchet! Could we use that to make a raft or something out of these trees?"
05-02-2017, 11:49 AM
"Like, that was a good try, I guess." Veronica remarked, standing on her tip toes and putting a hand over her eyes to watch Albert attempt to haul the thing out. "No offense, but you're like, kinda super scrawny. Here," Veronia dumped her shit onto the ground, the sun shining on her for the first time that day, and held a hand out.

"Let me try. You can trust me, I like, totally work out." She flexed to prove her point.
05-02-2017, 03:57 PM
"I don't think you get how serious this is, man! The Special Stuff is missing!!!"
05-03-2017, 01:23 AM
"Oh no, you need medication? Veronica, do you have anything in your first aid kit?"
05-03-2017, 02:49 AM
Albert reluctantly hands over the pole, careful not to make skin contact.

"If it's something important you better share it with me. "

05-03-2017, 03:03 AM
Veronica grinned, clearly pleased, and accepted the pole. "Oh my gosh, like, I knew you'd understand! Super cool!" She licked her lips in preparation, making a mental note to, like, put on some chapstick when she finished with this... Veronica coughed before copying Al's previous motions and trying to fish the thing out.
05-03-2017, 06:45 AM
Veronica cast her line! She too hooked it on something, and tugged. Did a bit better too! But in the end she was only able to jostle it more on her own.
05-03-2017, 11:06 AM
"Looks like we'll need multiple people pulling..."

Albert holds out his hand for the fishing pole.

"I'll measure how much line we need to actually pull that in, the rest we can use as rope so we can pull whatever it is out of the water without touching each other."

05-03-2017, 11:08 AM
"Gosh, I like... totally could have gotten it if I wasn't so thirsty..." Veronica sighed, letting her shoulders slump. Totally lame. She gingerly moved to place the fishing pole into Albert's hands, then stared out over the lake.

"...do you guys think that the lake water is, like, clean enough drink? My throat is like... mega dry."
05-03-2017, 11:12 AM
After grabbing the pole, Albert looks to see how much fishing line he needs to reel in the object by casting out the line and then pinching it when it reaches the object. He then spools out a little more than that, just in case, and cuts the line with his knife. He takes off the remaining line and threads in the cut one, then examines it to see how he can make a rope that won't cut into peoples' hands.

05-03-2017, 03:21 PM
“We might be able to purify some water,” Kate said to Veronica. “Kat got a lighter, right? Boiling it is supposed to help.” Or so she remembered from Girl Scouts. She’d mostly been into collecting the badges like worth-affirming Pokémon but a little had stuck regardless.

“I think the big thing is getting a raft working though. If its big enough for two we can get everyone over one by one.”