In Progress ABYSS: A Regrettable Foray
03-09-2017, 07:45 AM
RE: ABYSS: A Regrettable Foray
"Feh. Paperwork.. Rather get to workin sooner then later."

Klaas just signs, clearly bored
03-09-2017, 08:12 AM
Colville glanced at the contract. Last one of these ho signed ended poorly for him. Better read it carefully and-

Fuck it, he already signed the thing.
03-09-2017, 08:20 AM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2017 08:22 AM by Acolyte Doctor.)
The AMAZING MATILDA MAGNUS...does some paperwork. She reads the thing and makes sure there isn't any funny business before she puts her (actual) name onto the thing.
03-09-2017, 09:12 AM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2017 09:45 AM by Kadis.)
Lilah scanned the contract, picking out any words that had caused her trouble in the past. Not responsible for injury – that one had stuck her wearing wigs for a month after a lighting accident. “Huh. No catering clause? Or hair and makeup? Just joking!” It all looked surprisingly boilerplate. Which means it’s probably the print equivalent a pit of piranhas. She’d seen lawyers strip acting hopefuls to the bone in five minutes flat.

She signed anyways, with a big loopy flourish. The studio could sort it out. Besides, maybe they’re honest. She was used to cardboard smiles and carefully worded press releases, not earnest enthusiasm. Who knows how these museum types work?
03-09-2017, 09:44 AM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2017 09:46 AM by Demonsul.)
"No questions so far?" said von Austelung as people dealt with boring paperwork. "I'll explain a bit about what you'll be equipped with, then! We've emphasized speed when putting this together, I won't hesitate to admit, but that doesn't mean we aren't prepared! We have a brand new airship sitting on the tower. You might have seen it on the way in, the Avant, just a light little thing, but very fast! And we've loaded it with all the equipment and supplies you'll need to brave a hostile jungle. Rope, pickaxes, shovels, dynamite, archaeology brushes for delicate work, medicine, and padded containers for the artifacts, of course!"

"Plus we have a few weapons, if you didn't bring your own - can't be too safe, you'll be going into uncharted territory and the Uakari tribes aren't famed for their hospitality! The ship itself has some kind of newfangled clockwork gatling gun mounted on the starboard side, though hopefully you won't need it, by God! Still, some of the other 'treasure hunters' the media whipped into a frenzy are little better than bandits, so it pays to be safe. Oh! And we've even bought a new moving-pictures camera specifically for the occasion! Clockwork, so you don't need to keep hand cranking it to keep it working, and the salesman assured our man that the definition is as good as a photograph! Just make sure the mechanisms don't get dirty out there!"

Von Austelung seemed quite happy to continue rambling while people read and signed the contracts. His voice was easy to tune out and ignore.
03-09-2017, 10:35 AM
Godfrey was busy reading the contract as well!

His ancestors had a tendency not to read before signing, which always ended QUITE poorly for them!
03-09-2017, 11:03 AM
"Can you tell us about temple and the political state of the Uakari (and surrounding) tribes?" The AMAZING MATILDA MAGNUS asks as she helps herself to a slice of cake Chocolate Pie. More energy for the mission.
03-09-2017, 11:42 AM
There is no cake on the table. The doughy servant is still holding the large case, and is too encumbered to go get any.
03-09-2017, 12:56 PM
She reluctantly helps herself to another biscuit then.

ONE DAY Chocolate Pie
03-09-2017, 02:07 PM
Colville takes out some paper and a pouch of tobacco and begins rolling himself a cigarette.
03-09-2017, 02:29 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2017 02:30 PM by Demonsul.)
Once the contracts were signed, von Austelung started gradually collecting them up. He kept on talking in the meantime.

"Political situation? There's nobody but tribal savages in that region. Both the Empire and the Knightward Isles have claimed the Jungles of Uakari, but nobody really has a permanent presence in that region. We aren't really sure what to expect in the area, other than that the temple will be in a mountain range. The only thing that could be deciphered from the journal recovered by the investigation was that the temple itself was a pyramid with spikes around it. We only have the vaguest clues of what to expect inside the temple - something about golden eyes in the walls. Honestly, we aren't sure if there even will be any gold, but you saw what the press did with that leak..."
03-09-2017, 02:57 PM
After properly examining the contract, Iona signs off on it.

"I, um... I'd be careful to write them off as savages! Even though the recent conquest of the steppes suggests otherwise, history - both my homeland's history and the history of the world as a whole - natives to a land can have an incredible advantage over more advanced peoples wandering into unknown territory. It might do us well to grow more acquainted with the situation once we get there... if... that makes sense? And wouldn't be too much trouble?"
03-09-2017, 03:07 PM
Colville sticks the cigarette in his mouth.

"You sure like to talk, don't ya?"

He strikes a match off the side of his rugged coat and lights it.

"And His Countingness has a point," the cowboy takes a drag, "I've seen what Juggos do to homesteads on the Far Range, ain't pretty. People call them savages, but, well... They know how to kill a man just as good as us 'civilized' folk do. Don't even need guns for it, half the time, and when they DO get guns, whoowee, crack shots, all of 'em. They might dance 'round fires and eat the ass-end of an antelope, but don't underestimate 'em."

He shrugs.

"As for gettin' "more acquainted", I don't say we bother with that. Locals won't like us goin' into their temple no matter what. But we DO need to keep our senses sharp. We hit that temple fast, pick out whatever fancy rocks and jewelry they've been stowin' inside, and we get back to the ship, before they can start huntin' us from the trees. And if we're too late, and they start doin' that? Then I say we get ready to blow those trees to kingdom come."
03-09-2017, 03:07 PM
"Oh, no, they are extremely dangerous," agreed von Austelung. "That's why you're all going to be armed, and I'd strongly avoid interacting with them completely if at all possible!"
03-09-2017, 03:10 PM
Shae was starting to sweat. She only heard about this job through word of mouth, not being able to read the paper. So she got really nervous when everyone started describing natives, and the temple and killing. Was this a better fate than looking over her shoulder the rest of her life? She wasn't so sure.

She gulped and wiped her forehead.
03-09-2017, 03:18 PM
"Oh! That... Um. Yes, I suppose that makes sense. I just thought maybe we could... get a hold of the political situation...? Maybe use it to negotiate safe passage. But... I'm no expert."

He turns to Colville. "And, um, not to correct you, sir, but... I'm no Count. I'm a lord, technically, but that's a courtesy at best, and a farce if we're being honest with one another. It's absolutely meaningless. I have no power or influence in my home nation, and my father would hardly deign to call me his son, unless under force of oath. Just 'Iona' is enough, I assure you." He offers up a calm, somewhat tired smile and a nod.
03-09-2017, 03:50 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2017 03:51 PM by SupahKiven.)
Marilyn soundlessly yawned, slightly exaggerating the motion of her hand coming up to cover her mouth as she did so. She had kind of figured that they'd meet some kind of opposition, considering that this temple was in the middle of shitfest jungle with everybody scrambling for something to get their hands on. Still, she figured that it would be enough to leave the fighting to the fighters, right?

Her eyes flicked to the side, and she watched Shae with a bit of amusement for a second before turning back to watch the others talk. She had nothing to contribute at the moment, and it wasn't like she could anyway.
03-09-2017, 04:09 PM
"Iona? That sounds like a woman name. What type of pa names their son 'Iona'?"

Colville takes another drag, puffing out a ring of smoke.

"Old man doesn't like you? You should kick his ass. That's what I did. Still got me kicked off the homestead, but damned if I didn't feel better about the whole thing after."
03-09-2017, 04:17 PM
"I, uhm... I don't think that would solve much, except for putting me further away from ever reconciling with him." He chuckled. "Besides, I do not have much taste for violence, least of all of the senseless sort. I doubt it would satisfy me in the way it did you. I suppose my name fits me well, in that sense - it means dove."

Realizing how supremely unmanly that sounded, he buried half his face in one hand.

He really was out of his element here.
03-09-2017, 04:22 PM
"Well, I reckon a dove ain't the worst bird to be named after. They cook up nice, after all."

Colville shrugged.

"Don't get why he's so disappointed in ya when he started ya off rough with a name like that. Maybe he did it on purpose, to toughen ya up. There's an old country ditty about that, dunno if I can remember it..."
03-09-2017, 04:31 PM
Iona muttered something under his breath.

"Я настолько мусор в человеческом взаимодействии, как мне вообще это удается?"

"It's a long story, my friend - long, embarrassing, and shameful. I'd rather not explain, but... He was justified in his rage. Let us leave it at that, if we may."

He didn't sound angry or upset, just terribly uncomfortable and embarrassed.
03-09-2017, 06:49 PM
Marilyn's lips curled into a half-sneer, and she let out a snort as she leaned back in her seat. If this conversation was any indication, looks like her thought about Colville being trouble was right on the money. She'd keep her distance. Turning away, Marilyn quickly wiped off her blackboard and scrawled 'known culture?' on it, presenting it to von Austelung once she was done. To make sure he looked at her question, she knocked on the table, then on the blackboard.
03-09-2017, 07:40 PM
Klaas his eye slightly widened when the ride was described A airship? great.. He knew how they worked and operated of course but still, he had never actually flown a airship before.. only having put some tours as a engineer in his studies at the guild. He always preferred the thrill of two wings and a prayer really far more maneuverable.

Still he knew how it worked and how things generally got done on a airship, it required close cooperation between all branches of the..oh yeah.

"So what about the airship's crew, If this is a brand new ship it should have a good well trained crew who has proven to have good teamwork and skill, especially while flying in uncharted territory? Communication between the captain, the engineers and the gunners are of utmost importance" Klaas repeated some of the disjointed lectures from his uncle trying to look like he had actually any idea of what he was talking about.
03-10-2017, 01:37 AM
"A new motion picture camera? With no crank? Do we have a crew for that, or lighting, or... Oh, release forms!" Lilah opened her purse again - stitching coming out of the silk lining but she was hardly going to bring her best things to the jungle - and started digging through the layers of compacted rubble for the studio's contracts. Her producer had been very insistent that everyone sign, so they didn't waste any potentially gore-filled footage just because someone's family was nattering on about respect (the producer had been on his sixth whiskey of the morning during that conversation).

"Oh, darling Mr. Klaas, so sorry to interrupt. Please, keep talking! I'm afraid it'll go right over my head but so long as someone understands this wonderful airship we'll be in top shape!"
03-10-2017, 04:48 AM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2017 04:51 AM by Demonsul.)
Von Austelung was too busy expositing to notice Marilyn's nonvocal question, and turned his attention to Klaas. "Of course it has a good crew - it has all of you! It's only a light craft, the shipyard team assured us it only takes a minimum crew of two to keep it running. Since you're a member of the Aviators Guild, you should probably be the pilot! Like I said, the ship is new, so it won't require much maintenance for its first expedition, and it only has one gun, so I don't expect you to need a dedicated gunner. Why, you didn't think we were going to send you in one of those ghastly heavier-than-air craft, did you? There's a thing to be said to trusting your flight to good old hydrogen rather than a clockwork engine that could unwind and dump you into the ground! We have better hopes for you than that."

There was a thud as the doughy servant placed the large case on the table, opening it up. Inside were several cloth-wrapped shapes. He carefully took the largest and handed it to Lilah - from the general shape handle sticking out the bottom, it was clearly the camera in question. It came with a small detached crank for winding it and a few spare reels of film.

From the shape of the rest of the wrapped objects, it was pretty clear that they were almost all revolvers stacked side by side.
03-10-2017, 04:51 AM
After signing the contract, Godfrey would take two revolvers! He rather disliked them, but he recognized that they were probably a little better than flintlock pistols.
03-10-2017, 05:59 AM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2017 06:06 AM by pail.)
Shae walked up and grabbed one revolver. She held it up and looked at it.They were pretty nice and brand new, these were pretty cool.

"Umm.." she mumbled. She was going to continue to say she doesn't know how to shoot one of these. That was better off saved for the airship flight, where she couldn't get kicked off. She was excited to ride the airship though! At least that was one good thing that came from this mess. She place the revolver into her belt.
03-10-2017, 06:44 AM
Colville signs the release form too, fuck it. This Lilah gal seemed as trustworthy as she was easy on the eyes.

"Reckon I'll take me a six-gun."

He grabs a revolver from the case and sticks it in a curiously empty holster in his belt.
03-10-2017, 06:58 AM
Lilah shot Colville a white-toothed smile and accepted the release back, then looked cautiously at the weapons. “Oh, gosh, are those real? I’ve only ever seen the prop ones before.” She’d dropped the gun in that scene anyways – the heroic groundskeeper of the haunted mansion had picked it up just in time to be her savior of the week. “You don’t really think we’ll need those, do you?”

Besides, the new camera was more interesting, and there was no crew to rant about ‘dumb talent stumblin’ over our equipment, can’t trust them with anything’. She looked through the lens and smiled again as her surroundings changed from a room to a scene. “I’d better stick with this little mechanical marvel. I’d just be a danger to you all.”
03-10-2017, 07:17 AM
Klaas looks around the room.

Well.. We are doomed "I'm sure it'll be fine...I guess i'll just grab one of those guns.. fer spare parts"
03-10-2017, 07:20 AM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2017 07:21 AM by Protoman.)
"I, um..." Iona glances between the guns and the contract nervously. Hands shaking, he takes one of the guns and gingerly places it on his lap.
"Are there any particulars regarding this contract I should be aware of...? If it is only a release form, will the contract we signed for the museum not be enough? Is there a financial aspect to this?" Something about this seemed fishy, but he didn't want to be rude.
03-10-2017, 07:23 AM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2017 07:23 AM by Demonsul.)
"You will be required to return this equipment after the expedition, Mr. van Kruidvatt," said von Austelung chidingly. "No taking it apart unless you intend to put it back together again just as it was before! And though of course I'd advise you all to carry a weapon for your own safety while beyond the reach of civilization, I won't force you to if you don't think you'll need it."
03-10-2017, 08:48 AM
Shae sighs and just signs her name as soon as the contract is handed to her. No point in trying to make sense of it. She handed it back to Lilah and sat down.
03-10-2017, 08:56 AM
"Miss Lilah, don't you worry none about botherin' with these guns, I'll keep ya safe."

Colville gave a laid-back smile as he took another revolver.

"Looks like they prepared a gun for each of us, though, I'll take yours and keep it in my boot, just in case."
03-10-2017, 09:36 AM
The AMAZING MATILDA MAGNUS...takes two guns. Mostly because what if one gun jams (can they jam?), then she'll be screwed! So two it is.
03-10-2017, 09:40 AM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2017 10:25 AM by SupahKiven.)
Marilyn's eye twitched, her jaw tightening, at being ignored. So it was going to happen here too, huh? She briefly contemplated throwing the blackboard at von Austelung in order to get his attention, though she simply settled on taking a deep breath and clenching her fists a few times. It was fine. It's fine. Fine. Marilyn smoothed her pants out and loosened her jaw. No point in pissing anybody off before the expedition even started.

She noticed everybody taking guns before she could even get a look at the box. Cool. Again, her jaw clenched, but she held herself back. She hadn't ever shot a gun anyway. If she died, it wasn't her fault.
03-10-2017, 10:35 AM
"Well, that's a shame, miss. However, everyone deserves to have an opportunity to kill a scoundrel." Matilda says as she offers an gun for Marilyn.
03-10-2017, 10:37 AM
Marilyn stared in surprise at the gun being offered to her. She looked at Matilda blankly for a moment before reaching out and grabbing the revolver. Wasn't too sure about 'killing a scoundrel', but...

She cracked a smile and offered Matilda a thumbs up.
03-10-2017, 10:38 AM
The AMAZING MATILDA MAGNUS gives an AMAZING THUMBS UP. She was a show-woman always, dammit!
03-10-2017, 02:13 PM
"Excellent, excellent," said von Austelung. "Well, if you're all done, if everyone's ready, we should prepare for your imminent departure!" He placed the contracts in his briefcase and handed the map to Klaas. "The Avant is moored on the tower just outside the city. Come with me!"

He led the way out into the sunny street, and set off at a brisk pace towards the edge of the city. Dr. Bakker followed immediately behind him, looking over his shoulder at the rest of the group.

The group was led through several streets, past rows of townhouses to a small private airship tower in the fringe of the city, where the buildings were much smaller and more scattered. The airship tower was surrounded by an iron fence, with a couple of armed security guards who hauled open the gate once they saw them coming. Moored on the tower were a couple of small airships, and theirs was quickly pointed out.

The Avant was a very small airship, with a narrow hull hanging suspended beneath a large gasbag. The helm was positioned towards the front, with a large boiler visible poking up through the deck at the back providing the power for the rear propellers (and probably also the heat for the cooked meals). There looked to be about enough space belowdecks for a crew of ten, provided they didn't mind sleeping in slightly cramped quarters, and a tiny amount of cargo. The port side was moored to the tower, and the starboard side did indeed have a military-style clockwork gatling gun mounted on it, as promised. Overall, the whole thing seemed to be built for speed.

"Well, there she is!" said von Austelung with a wave of his arm. "You had all better head on up, as departure waits only for you to be ready! After all, the less time we waste, the better your chances that you'll be the first to reach the temple!"
03-10-2017, 02:16 PM
Shae offered to carry anyones luggage. She looked pretty excited to get on the ship.
03-10-2017, 02:29 PM
“Oh, aren’t you a sweetheart!” Lilah gratefully accepted Shae’s offer and handed over her leather trunk. “I’m still not used to this weather.” She hadn’t actually noticed the weather, but it sounded convincing.

“Say, you look like a… a girl of some experience in the real world. Have you ever been on one of these ships before?”
03-10-2017, 02:46 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2017 02:51 PM by pail.)
Shae took the luggage from her and tilted her head. "I do? Hmm... Well actually... I've only been on an airship once in my life, and that was coming here. Have you though? You must travel to a lot of different places Miss May, being a beloved actor 'n all."
03-10-2017, 03:25 PM
Marilyn looked at the airship in interest. Man... that was pretty cool. She stared at it for a couple of moments. Was she really gonna get to ride on this? Perri would be jealous...

Shae's offer was tempting, but Marilyn knew that she'd never win in any competition against a movie star. She huffed, letting her suitcase thump to the ground so that she could wipe off her forehead. God, it was hot. Marilyn huffed, making sure she still had her revolver, before picking her suitcase back up and tromping onto the ship.
03-10-2017, 04:31 PM
Godfrey looked at the ship for a bit, then to the others.

"Hmph, I can help carry luggage if one needs my assistance!" he offered, smiling.
03-10-2017, 04:39 PM
The AMAZING MATILDA MAGNUS wants Godfrey to carry her stuff because why not take that opportunity. The AMAZING MATILDA MAGNUS is apparently synonymous with the LAZY MATILDA MAGNUS.
03-10-2017, 11:29 PM
Klaas carried his own stuff and admired the airship. It seemed like a good vessel.. He was kind of excited to fly the thing.
03-11-2017, 10:06 AM
Lilah thought it looked like a nice ship too. Pity it was going to the middle of nowhere. “Gosh, I guess I have been on a fair few of these. It’s all still hard to believe!” She’d thrown up over the side of a fair few of them too.

“Say,” she said to Shae, “since you’re all signed up, how would you feel about filming a quick segment once we get aboard? Just introducing yourself, all your marvelous talents, things like that. I’m sure everyone back home will be so interested to hear all about you!”
03-11-2017, 10:22 AM
Shae glaced away for a second and adjusted the luggage. "Umm... Sure... I just um.. I don't think I'd be great for the camera. I'm not that talented either."
03-11-2017, 12:10 PM
"Oh, aren't you modest! It's not so hard. I mean," Lilah said, fluttering a hand to her chest, "if little old me can figure it out, how difficult can it be?"

"Maybe you can help me film a few segments on the ship. We can't miss anything, and the backdrops are sure to be just spectacular." Plus, the more segments she filmed, the bigger a role the studio would have to give her after edits.