In Progress ABYSS: A Regrettable Foray
07-12-2017, 07:58 AM
RE: ABYSS: A Regrettable Foray
"If you're willing to go all the way back to Starday City to drop me off before heading back there, then that's a totally acceptable plan," Godfrey told Isabela. "But as of right now, our pilot is dead and Shae is the only one capable of keeping our ship operational until it reaches the city. So if Shae wishes to go with you all, the only alternative I have to going back to the temple is staying in an immobile airship in the middle of the jungle."
07-12-2017, 08:00 AM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2017 08:03 AM by pail.)
Shae reaches her hand up and rubs her head. This conversation turned odd, but I guess it's deescalating?

"Uh... I think.... this is a conversation... for another.. time... Thank you... Karim was it...? I'd like some... more pain numbing... herbs.." She turns to Isabela. "No need... for forgiveness... I would go... vollenterally, I have... my own.. plans for going."

She turned to Godfrey. "Well... it's not that hard.. I could teach... on of us.. to turn it on and off.. I didn't.. need to mess with it.. the entire way... Plus.. we have... another ship to work with..."
07-12-2017, 08:09 AM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2017 08:12 AM by Vancho1.)
"It is forgiven," Karim said, and the he quoted a poet from his country on forgiving those who are suffering.

Karim started grinding more herbs, careful to keep his hands out in the open and do it slowly, as to not startle the men with guns. When he was done, he mixed the herbs with water to give to the two women.

The one, the only, Vancho!
07-12-2017, 08:09 AM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2017 08:10 AM by Bigshot.)
Isabela clamps her eyes shut at this point. It is an awful lot of words and she has to take a couple of seconds to focus on her breathing.

"Fine. Whatever you feel you must do. Come along, whatever must be done, it matters not." The words leave her in a rush, and when she opens her eyes she notices absent-mindedly that this woman is holding her hand. Which is something she really doesn't remember.

Huh.

"I am also capable of repairing your ship, as I would like to do before any of us leave this place for good, to avoid any additional injuries or casualties. This-- Shae-- and I already discussed that." There is blood under her nails, she notices. Hers, or Gallant's? She seems to be staring intently now at her opposite hand, the one without the rocks. Just. Staring. "I am a very good engineer. You have nothing to worry about."

She lets Shae take the herbs first. She is a small woman, but she needs to seem tough! Look good in front of these new people!
07-12-2017, 10:41 AM
Once Iona hits the ground, he surveys the sce--- ohhhhh god that's a dead Gallant. Jesus everloving shit. "What hap...?"

No, no, folks seem a bit preoccupied for his questions, and worse yet, there's a bit of a standoff. Fuck talking this out while people have guns drawn.

Iona nods towards the man with the gun and Colville. He whispers something to himself.
07-12-2017, 11:20 AM
Marta eyes the newcoming Iona suspiciously, her grip on her revolver tightening.

"Mister Godfrey, could you ask your creepy friend to... not be? Creepy." Truth be told he seemed to be muttering to himself and if Godfrey wasn't lying about these people having curse powers she'd like to avoid them being used on her or her friends.

"I-I'm going to the temple too. If Mister Karim's been having dreams too something's up and if we're not going back I'd rather check it out than stay anywhere near that." She glares at Coleville again.
07-12-2017, 12:34 PM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2017 12:38 PM by Bigshot.)
The mention of dreams has Isabela's attention. Her eyes pull from the hand in hers and she arches a brow, her lips curling downwards.

"Yes. I have had the dream, too. The questions to all of them-- to everything else happening to me, and us-- will be in that temple, I am sure of it." Her hand taps on the back of Shae's, stroking out a gentle circular pattern. And then she squeezes again. "I am sorry I was upset. We all have many questions and we all deserve answers. Let us stop this fighting and go. Or at least just...go. Even if they will not stop. Time waits for no one."
07-14-2017, 06:12 AM
Daibhedh shouts "Demon!" but drops his gone into the brush at his feet as if he was letting go of something extremely hot, waving his hands to dissipate the heat.

07-14-2017, 06:58 AM
Isabela's stomach falls immediately, her gaze snapping upwards to scan around them.
"Daibhedh! What are you talking about?" She squeezes tightly at the rocks in her hands again, closing her fist protectively around them. No. Oh, no.
07-14-2017, 09:07 AM
"Demon, what?"

Marta looks back and forth between Coleville and Iona. "What happened? What did you do?"
07-15-2017, 03:22 AM
Colville's eyes go wide and he pulls his knife.

"SONUVABITCH STAY DEAD YA RATTLESNAKE"

Colville charges and does a leaping tackle in the direction of Gallant's corpse. Halfway there, he reacts as if he impacts with something- or someone - and falls on top of the corpse, beginning to stab it repeatedly. During the course of the assault he grabs the corpse's gun and flings it off to the side, out of reach.
07-15-2017, 04:53 AM (This post was last modified: 07-15-2017 05:42 AM by pail.)
Shae notices taps, stroking and squeezes on her hand. She glances down and feels herself get a bit warm. Looks like the comforting gesture worked well, she was glad she was able to give some form of comfort.

She looks towards Diabhedh when he shouted, and then whipped her head around and saw Colville charging.... and stabbing... Gallant... This is in very very poor shape.

"Colville!! That's... enough!!! What are... you doing??" She reaches down with her non occupied hand and easily tugs him off the corpse. "Is something... wrong..?"
07-15-2017, 05:45 AM
Holy fuck.
Isabela's eyes are wide as she stares at the scene, at Colville and this...corpse. Her grip tightens around Shae's hand as she steals another glance down at the stones in her hand, peeking at them in her palm. At the spiny one...

"Get-- get away from him." Her voice cracks as she mumbles, and then has to repeat, "Get away! ¡brujería!" She does her best to tug Shae back, succeeding only in straining herself and pulling at the other woman's arm. The words that leave her are in a rapid stream of Coronan, perhaps a mantra or prayer of some sort.
07-15-2017, 06:19 AM
"DEAR GOD!" Godfrey yelled.

He'd helped Shae drag Colville off Gallant's body.

Bloody hell.
07-15-2017, 06:24 AM
"Egads!"

Karim jumped back as well and started looking for sedative herbs in his bag. He also reached into his vest and checked that his pistol was still there, but didn't draw it quite yet. He just wanted to reassure himself that he was armed. Just in case.

07-16-2017, 11:51 AM
"What is wrong with you!?"

Marta tenses up and raises her gun towards Coleville. When the others jump on him to try and pull them up she visibly relaxes and lowers the gun again - if they're successful she stands between Gallant's corpse and Coleville, and if they're struggling she'll try to help by knocking him out (with Karim's sedatives if he can put them together or through blunt force).
07-18-2017, 02:10 PM
"BASTARD'S GOT A MACHETE, GET BACK!"

Colville tries to pull out of Godfrey's grasp to fend off against a phantom threat. Failing that, he tries to go for the pistol at his hip, being careful to avoid the other people in the way of his shot.
07-19-2017, 05:55 AM
Heels digging into the mud, Isabela shouts again, gritting her teeth and groaning. "Get away! Get away! Something isn't right!" Her eyes are frantic as she glances at her gemstone again, still pulling. "Shae, please!"

Breathing fast, she spits out another slew of words in Coronan before finally raising her voice to Colville. Or in his direction. "You are desecrating a corpse! A man you killed, pendejo! ¡mala suerte!"
07-19-2017, 06:11 AM
Lilah reached the ground shortly after Iona, by which point the scene had become even more confusing. Guns and demons and yelling in more than one language - what the hell was going on?

"Colville?! What in God's name are you- Is that Sir Gallant?" she gasped, seeing the body on the grounds and covering her mouth with a blood-smeared hand. "What happened? Shae, Godfrey, who are these people?"
07-19-2017, 08:54 AM
Meanwhile, Daibhedh was screaming.

Like, a lot.

He was seen hitting his clothes as if trying to brush things off that wouldn't let go and kept reacting as if something was stinging him.

He then ran off into the surrounding underbrush, screaming into the darkness.

07-19-2017, 08:58 AM
"It appears as if madness has found our allies!" Godfrey yelled. "We should return to whichever ship is closest. You'll all be safer there."
07-19-2017, 09:10 AM (This post was last modified: 07-19-2017 09:40 AM by pail.)
She passed Colville off to Godfrey and stared at Diabhedh and Colville for a few seconds before realizing how scared Isabela was. She berated herself in her head and walked her and Isabela into the beat up and twisted version of their ship and into her cabin to avoid the other dead bodies.
07-19-2017, 09:28 AM
"Your ship is closer, I think," said Karim to Godfrey, "But we have a small skiff just a short way away in the woods. Perhaps Isabela and I should take it and follow you."

07-19-2017, 10:44 AM
"Wha-where are you taking- No!"

Marta begins shouting after Shae and Isabela. "Isabela is sticking with us, not you and your crazy friends."

Between watching Coleville and Shae and Iona Marta can barely keep her shit together and notice anything else going on.

"Mister Karim, we should get out of here. Can you stop Mister Daibhedh and get him back to our ship? Isabela come on!"
07-19-2017, 11:08 AM
Madness? That seemed like an understatement. It also seemed inaccurate, as far as Isabela was concerned. This was something more, something worse. Some kind of...interference, if the rock was reacting to it. Something...very, very bad.

She's still staring down at the blue gem in her hand as Shae starts directing her forward, Godfrey's words barely buzzing in her ears. Somewhere safe...right. So, nowhere, right? Because the entire jungle appeared to be some kind of curse pit? If she were in the right mind she'd scoff and offer some sort of lip-curled rebuttal.

Instead she lets Shae tug her along, raising her head. Seems they're headed for that beat-up ship, which isn't exactly different than what she'd brought up earlier. After all, she'd offered her services to fix it, right? Why not just hunker down until the weirdness passed? Not like she has any reason to go with anyone else in particular, anyway. Karim hadn't exactly cared when she'd had brains blown out all over her, and as far as she was concerned was just as callous when stitching her up earlier. Marta's words reach her ears before she turns to disappear into the cabin, but she doesn't even give her a passing glance. If anything, being told what to do seems to fuel her to do the opposite even further.

"Do not worry about me, I am gonna fix up the ships and get to the temple. You know my plan. Figure yourselves out, and no killing!" At least she has the decency to call back out to Marta and Karim before disappearing entirely.

What the hell was with people and telling her what to do lately? Damn.
07-19-2017, 12:25 PM (This post was last modified: 07-19-2017 12:25 PM by Palamedes.)
Marta looks like she's just been punched in the face. "If you don't come back and fly the airship we probably will be killed!"
07-19-2017, 12:25 PM
Karim stared as Isabela left in one direction and Daibhedh in the other. Only Marta's words shook him out of it.

"He is running like a madman, I know not if we can catch him. However."

He mixed the sedative herbs with what water he had and handed the mixture to Marta.

"If he drinks this it will calm him. Do you want to go after him? Or shall we return to the skiff?"

Karim packed his bag and looked at Marta, expecting an answer.

07-20-2017, 04:31 AM
"W-we should..."

Marta looks over at the ship, Isabela's betrayal making her unsure of what to do.

"We can't leave anyone behind. If Isabela won't help she's not the person I thought she was. Can you pilot the airship?"

As she leaves after Daibhedh she turns towards the others one last time.

"If any of you are as good as you're saying you are make sure Isabela stays safe and your friends don't try and do any more to Mister Gallant than they already have. We'll be back for him. Also, if Mister Daibhedh doesn't make it, and I find out one of you did it and didn't say anything right now, I'm gonna hold you responsible." She is staring straight at Iona as she mentions her second point, and then runs after Daibhedh.
07-20-2017, 04:52 AM
"I will wait for you at the skiff, Marta. Be safe, and return soon!"

Karim gathered his things and headed for the skiff. He reached into his vest and grabbed his pistol, ready to shoot if any beasts or bandits got in his way. Karim worried that he wouldn't be able to figure out the skiff's controls, but then again it was made to be piloted by one person. Gallant could do it alone, so can I, he thought.

07-20-2017, 06:21 AM
Just after the rest of the new team left, Marilyn and Sofía climbed down the rope ladder from the airship overhead.

Sofía was still wearing one of Lilah's dresses, which was now soaked through due to the endless rain. She shivered slightly as she looked around, immediately spotting Gallant's desecrated corpse and wincing.
07-20-2017, 06:31 AM (This post was last modified: 07-20-2017 08:20 AM by SupahKiven.)
Marilyn's face contorted at the sight of Gallant's body, and she reeled back just a bit. It took her a moment to drag her sight away from the sight of Gallant laying there, but when she did, her eyes flicked downwards towards her board, and she shifted everything in her arms so that she could scribble out a quick message.

'What the hell happened here?'
07-20-2017, 12:16 PM (This post was last modified: 07-20-2017 12:19 PM by Protoman.)
"It is okay, Ms. Marilyn! I stopped the fighting from escalating!"

Iona calls out: "You can come back now, friends!"
07-20-2017, 12:35 PM
Marilyn shot Iona a confused and slightly taken aback look, her eyes once again darting towards Gallant's body, before she once again presented her message to the other people in the area.
07-20-2017, 12:50 PM
"Coleville appears to have shot Gallant, Gallant's friend was going to shoot Coleviille, or vice-versa, I sent my friends to force them both to drop their weapons! Though it had some... rather... um... unintended consequences?" He glances towards the multiple stab wounds in Gallant's corpse.
07-20-2017, 12:54 PM
Colville screamed in pain-

Then blinked, looking around.

"What... What in tarnation- Godfrey, the hell just happened? Did... Did anyone else see Gallant try to kill-"

He closed his eyes, beginning to sweat.

"Sheeeeeit, I think I got the jungle fever... Need to get back to our camp and get some water in me..."

He seems oblivious to Iona's babbling, fortunately for all involved.
07-20-2017, 12:55 PM
Godfrey let Colville go.

"Yes, you went quite mad and attempted to stab Gallant's dead body. It was alarming."
07-20-2017, 12:58 PM (This post was last modified: 07-20-2017 12:58 PM by Protoman.)
"But you are alright now!"

Iona grins and half-whispers, mostly to himself: "I saved the day!"

He walks over and pats Coleville on the shoulder. "Are you feeling okay, friend?"
07-20-2017, 01:02 PM
Marilyn's expression shifted to irritation, her shoulders slumping in annoyance. Ignored by everybody except the guy she already heard from, great. Already off to a solid start here. Her annoyance lasted for only a second, however, and instantly dissipated once she processed what Iona said. Did... did nobody else care about that? She quickly scrubbed away the message on her board as she approached Colville and Godfrey, writing out a new one and presenting it to Iona. It was short and sweet.

'Friends?'
07-20-2017, 01:04 PM
"Shit, no, Cold Iron. Think I got the jungle fever in me. All the other folk'll be lookin' sideways at me now."

Colville sighed, sheathing his knife and shaking his head.

"Gonna have to cash out the check for this expedition and skip town. Fucked another job up. Sheeeit. Wanted to retire off this and live a life boozin' and carousin' with easily impressed womenfolk in the Knightwards. Ya know they find frontiersmen to be, like... Charmin' oddities, right? But this Gallant shit... Eh, it's all more fucked than a horse with rattlesnake saddle now."
07-20-2017, 01:08 PM
Iona grins, ever-so-proud of himself!

"Oh! Yes! Since we entered the temple, I've found myself followed by these tiny little bugs! No one else seems to be able to see them - Shae couldn't earlier, when I tried to show them to her - and for some time, I thought I was losing my mind, but now I have seen their effects! They allowed me to enter Bakker's dreams, that he might direct me in how best to treat him, and their bite seems to fill people with delusions! They... seem to not be such pleasant ones, unfortunately, much to my chagrin, but they managed to diffuse the conflict, both on the ship and down here! I've managed to resolve these sorts of situations without anyone having to die!"

He sounds excited, almost like a child explaining a story from one of their books to a half-interested parent. This is, without a doubt, the happiest Iona's been through this whole trip.
07-20-2017, 01:10 PM
".... Yeeeeeah I'm boilin' our water supplies, I think them Juggo drugs rode in off Godfrey and got into our water barrels. Shit. Shit. Either that or we all have the goddamned jungle fever."

Colville takes a very, very deep sigh.
07-20-2017, 01:15 PM
Marilyn... had no idea what to think of that. Things suddenly made a bit more sense, but... whether or not that was a particularly good thing remained to be seen. Marilyn, very briefly, shot a look back at Sofía before looking to Iona. Not quite sure of what else to do (or how she could possibly respond to that), she offered Iona a semi-encouraging thumbs up. After a moment of awkwardly standing there, she got her wits about her and wrote something down.

'Lets just get back to the ship. Sooner we're gone the better.'
07-20-2017, 01:17 PM
When Marilyn looked at Sofía, she saw Sofía grimacing slightly.
07-20-2017, 01:27 PM (This post was last modified: 07-20-2017 01:37 PM by Protoman.)
Iona frowns, looking from Marilyn to Sofia and back to Marilyn.

"I... I'm sorry, I just wanted to... To help. Did I do something wrong?"

He pauses before continuing to speak in Coronan.

"<...Wait. Sofia... you aren't supposed to know Imperial. Why are you reacting?>"
07-20-2017, 01:54 PM
At Iona's question, Marilyn took a moment to stare before shaking her head. There... she wasn't quite sure what much else to do. At Iona's second question, Marilyn turned to Sofía, her brow raised. She looked... a bit concerned?
07-20-2017, 01:59 PM (This post was last modified: 07-20-2017 01:59 PM by Demonsul.)
Sofía started slightly when she was addressed, looking surprised. <"Huh? I was just looking at..."> she looked pointedly at the stabbed corpse of Gallant, <"...that. Shouldn't someone... do something about it? Cover it up? Bury it? Something?">
07-20-2017, 02:23 PM
"<I... I see.>"

Iona sighs, clearly unsatisfied with that answer, and turns back to Marilyn. "I'm sorry if I disturbed you." He looks to the rest of the group. "And... and you as well. I assure you I meant you no harm. I was just..." He fidgets, his smile faltering. "Just trying to help." His eyes drift downward, and his voice drifts into its usual nervousness.

"I am Iona of the house Naumov. If there's anything I can help with - particularly giving Mr. Gallant his proper burial - I'd like to help."
07-21-2017, 02:15 AM
With a soundless sigh, Marilyn wiped away the message currently on her board, getting to work on some more responses. She seemed antsy.

'It's fine Iona. If you want, we can talk later.' / 'But right now I just want to leave. Feels like we've been here forever.' / 'We have shovels on the ship. Lets get them and bury Gallant' / 'Hopefully the repairs will be done soon after.'
07-21-2017, 05:33 AM
Lilah's head was swimming. She'd thought they were finally safe - now there were strange people about, Gallant was dead, and Iona had found some sort of power of his own? "Yes, please. We really ought to talk about this," she said, nodding fervently in response to Marilyn's message. "What with recent events... Well, we should talk about it, is all."

And, like a lot of events lately, these recent ones led to a body needing burial. Poor Gallant. He might have been a self-aggrandizing fame hound, but he hadn't deserved to die. "Are you sure we should bury him here? If those other people were his crew, they might want to bring him home to his family." Assuming he had one, that was.
07-21-2017, 08:30 AM
The sound of a single gunshot briefly echoed from the trees in the direction Marta had vanished after Daibhedh.