In Progress ABYSS: A Regrettable Foray
03-11-2017, 12:23 PM
RE: ABYSS: A Regrettable Foray
"Huh, yeah okay, I think I can exaggerate a few things for the camera at least." She started onto the ship with the luggage. "I'll help in anyway Miss May."
03-11-2017, 02:07 PM
The AMAZING MATILDA MAGNUS...carries her own suitcase with a huff.
03-11-2017, 03:16 PM
"Allow me, Miss Magnus."

With drawl and tip of the hat, Colville goes to help Matilda with her bags. His luggage appears to be a few stuffed cloth bags hanging off his back.
03-11-2017, 04:59 PM
"Oh...thank you?" She lets him.
03-11-2017, 07:20 PM
"Ain't a problem, ma'am. Ol' pack mule like myself, this all is nothin'."

He hefts the luggage with a grunt.
03-12-2017, 12:40 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2017 12:40 PM by Cidellus.)
Godfrey shrugged and boarded the ship.

Stupid cowboys.
03-12-2017, 12:54 PM
"It's alright, feller, us Western Gentlemen know to ask instead of just offer."

Colville shoots Godfrey a cheeky wink as he passes by.
03-12-2017, 02:25 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2017 02:25 PM by Demonsul.)
They climbed the tower and got onto the airship. Von Austelung remained on deck as they went belowdecks to store their suitcases.

The majority of the belowdecks was cargo space, half-filled with supplies, but there were separation walls towards the aft of the ship. The walls separated it up into ten small cells containing basic beds, with enough space underneath them to store a couple of suitcases each. Between the cells was the belowdecks section of the boiler, with several confusing dials and levers - only one member of the group would be familiar with how to operate it, having worked extensively with industrial boilers before, and it looked like a pretty advanced and modern model, requiring little in the way of constant maintenance.

Back up on deck, the ship's wheel was at the aft, along with two chadburn levers controlling engine speed and ascent/descent. The controls appeared to be pretty straightforward. There was a lot of rigging along the sides as well as piping from the boiler going up to connect to the balloon, though there was still plenty of open space between the balloon and the hull.

The brass-coated gatling gun on the starboard side of the ship looked really fancy and shiny. Its obvious military nature seemed slightly out of place on what was otherwise clearly a civilian ship.

When they came back up, von Austelung went to shake all their hands. "Take the helm, Mr. Van Kruidvatt! I'll see you off from the tower, and you can get familiar with the ship on the journey. Good travels!" Once he was done shaking hands, he headed back to the tower.
03-12-2017, 02:39 PM
Iona leans against the railing, then notices how fucking far this drop is.

Oh no. Oh no oh no.

Yeah, he's gonna head downstairs and take a seat in the cargo hold/galley combo. This is exciting! And also terrifying! Mostly terrifying! Oh god!
03-12-2017, 04:29 PM
Colville seems to be caressing the Gatling gun.

"I'm namin' her... Susannah."
03-12-2017, 04:44 PM
Having kicked her suitcase under a random bed, Marilyn headed up to the airship's deck, wanting to get a good look at things when they took off. Unfortunately, she was accosted by von Austelung, and reluctantly shook his hand. She was still rather ticked at him. Once the curt handshake was done, she let out a huff and turned heel, intending to find a good place to sit.

Unfortunately, all she got was the sight of Colville cradling the gatling gun, whispering sweet nothings into whatever he assumed passed as the gun's ears. Her face scrunched up, and she walked to the other side of the airship. Nope.
03-12-2017, 04:50 PM
Godfrey did not like airships.

Not at all.

Godfrey could, however, appreciate the nice view from the deck of an airship. And so, after dropping off his luggage, he went to appreciate said view.

Plus he could vomit over the side if he felt so inclined!
03-12-2017, 04:51 PM (This post was last modified: 03-13-2017 01:37 AM by pail.)
Shae stored her own rucksack and Lilah's luggage and headed onto the deck. She shook von Austelung's hand and went to the front of the ship excitedly to look at the view and waited till Lilah needed her. She gave Colville a curious look as she passed him.
03-12-2017, 05:18 PM
Bah, fears be damned! Everyone was up deck. Iona was on vacation and he wasn't going to stop himself from having a good time, dammit!

He pulls himself up the stairs, tries to ignore the cowboy accosting the gatling gun, and nods towards Shae, offering her a nervous smile. He says in Ceobaillic: <"Excited for the trip?">
03-12-2017, 05:24 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2017 05:34 PM by pail.)
Shae perks up and smiles back at him politely, And responds in kind in Ceobaillic. "I'm... well, can't say excited. More like... worried... nervous... dreading? I am going to enjoy the airship flight though." Shae paused to take in the view. "I enjoy traveling I think. Maybe in another life, if I was richer, I would've traveled around the world..." Shae gestures for him to take a railing. "How are you fairing though? You don't seem too steady on your feet right now."
03-12-2017, 05:52 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2017 05:53 PM by Protoman.)
"Oh? That's surprising - You seemed the sort familiar with this sort of thing, if you don't mind me saying. You seem rather strong, and it looks as if you've seen some fighting, though that might be baseless assumption on my part. I wouldn't know - only fighting I've ever done was desperately trying to shove my brother off of me while he beat me in the face after I accidentally broke his favorite toy. Took father a full five minutes to notice our shouting, even though he was only one room over!" He laughs an uncomfortable laugh. It's clear even he doesn't find this "joke" funny.

"You're right - I'm absolutely terrified." He smiles a nervous, sad smile. "I'm... I don't belong here. I don't know how I let myself get talked into this, to be honest. I'm shocked they even let me on. I just hope I don't hold any of you up and get you hurt."
03-12-2017, 05:55 PM
The AMAZING MATILDA MAGNUS sees if there is any secret compartments. She always liked secret compartments.
03-12-2017, 05:58 PM
Marilyn was sitting there, leaning against the railing and drumming her fingers against it, when something reached her ears. She heard the words 'beat me' and tensed up. The rest of that statement made a look of horror cross her face, and she slowly turned towards the source of those words. It was that nervous dude from earlier, and he seemed to be trying to play that off as a joke.

She scrawled a quick 'what' on her blackboard before marching over and presenting it to Iona.
03-12-2017, 06:11 PM
Shae opened her mouth to refute her being that great at fighting, but then her reply trailed off when Iona finished the rest of his reply. She just kinda stood there eyes widened a fraction more, trying to process that statement for a second. Good thing Marilyn came in the conversation to save her from the awkward pause. But oh no Shae doesn't get what Marilyn is trying to say either. At least Shae pieced together that she is communicating through chalkbored at least. She glances at the chalkboard for a second. Nope. Doesn't know what that says.

"That's.... Unsetting... Iona was it? That... seems pretty heartbreaking actually..." She scratches the back of her head. "Well, I can't say whether you belong here or not, but you are here. I'm sure you'll find something that you can contribute." Like... translating Miss Isome for her. She thinks to herself.
03-12-2017, 06:28 PM
"Hm? No! It's... It's normal! My brother was a bit of a brute, and he should have known better, being sixteen while I was only nine, but he wasn't a monster or anything - just a hothead! And my father was... just busy. I remember the nights he'd spend in his study, poring over our finances and writing missives to the Tsar, all while drinking and loudly cursing my brother's spending! Oh, how he'd rant and rave! Haha! Occasionally I'd hear breaking and the next morning I'd find he smashed a bottle against the wall and passed out. What a silly man he was!" He chuckles again, this time even more nervously. GOD THIS WASN'T FUNNY.

He turns to Marilyn. "I, um... I apologize! Did something I say bother you?"
03-12-2017, 06:49 PM
Her face screwed up even more at Iona's next comments. The way he said it, it was like he thought his statements would help assert that what he was saying was normal. Surprise!, it wasn't. Marilyn quickly wiped away the 'what' with her cloth, scribbling out a response to Iona's words.

'No it's not.' the board read, and Marilyn insistently tapped on it, frowning.
03-12-2017, 07:10 PM
Shae puts a hand on Iona's shoulder, trying to calm him down a bit. "I think your mouth is running away from you. I don't think we are ready to breach this sort of conversation yet. Maybe it's one best left after a few drinks." She still didn't know what Marilyn was saying. She REALLY hoped she wasn't offending Marilyn.
03-12-2017, 11:29 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2017 11:29 PM by Bramzter.)
Klaas shook the museum guy's hand and then dumped his belongings into one of the rooms and got his kit ready. After returning and seeing mostly everyone back on deck he clapped his hands loudly to get everyone's attention.

"Alright folks, Since we are apparently crewing this vessel, i have a few announcements of moderate convenience for ya, Firstly if you are all keen on hanging out on the deck during our flight, i'd advise you to dress warm since it can get cold up there in the clouds and stay off the deck at night you might fall between ship and port that way. Since i'll be flyin this thing and doing minor repairs while we are mostly going on a straight path, i need some of you lot to do some of the other tasks on this ship if we are going to make it there without further complications.. Which brings me to my first question.. Any of y'all have any experience working the boiler down below that is more then don't let the needle get into the red parts? I'd rather not have it blow a gasket or something..Second point, if it is necessary to climb into the rigging say to stitch up the balloon, Secure yourself to the deck with a harness, it safes you a fast trip to the ground. We got to make a efficient crew roster also if we don't want to deal with fatigue making us make mistakes. yeah?"

"Also, someone has a bottle of beer or something they can smash against the hull? Tis bad luck to sail out on a unchristend vessel"
03-13-2017, 07:27 AM (This post was last modified: 03-13-2017 07:28 AM by Demonsul.)
"I, I think there are a couple of bottles of wine in the hold," said Dr. Bakker. He seemed even more nervous than before now he was on the airship!
03-13-2017, 08:00 AM
Lilah was halfway through fitting her trunk into one of the cabins – how did they expect anyone to keep their clothes pressed in a place this tiny? – but when she heard Klaas on deck she strapped the camera to her wrist and headed back to the others. “The studio sent along some champagne,” she trilled, “but it might be a waste to break that on the boat. Or is it bad luck to save the good stuff for yourselves? Oh, dear, I’m afraid I don’t know much about ships at all…” What the hell was that about climbing up rigging? Lilah had planned to do what childhood athletics had taught her and help by staying out of the way.

“Actually,” she said, brightening, “breaking a bottle would make for a fantastic early scene! Perhaps one of you can hold this, and I can introduce the ship to the viewers. From a good angle.” They didn’t have to see how poky the actual rooms were.
03-13-2017, 08:22 AM
"That'll do Doctor Bakker, That would do. We'll do that once i find someone who is familiar with the boiler....i'd hope." Klaas answered, his voice as graceful as a coal miner, he then turned to Lilah fiddling with her picture box..thing... "Try not to go over the railing" Klaas muttered.
03-13-2017, 09:42 AM
Shae was pulled out of the conversation by Klaas and him asking about a boiler and some rigging. She didn't speak up right away and looked around to see if someone else would pipe up, but no it looked like no one was volenteering.

She excused herself from Iona and Mayrlin for a second and walked over to Klaas. "I'm pretty framiliar with boilers..."
03-13-2017, 09:47 AM
Colville was polishing Susannah. The gun was already clean.

"Dad-GUM I hope we get to shoot this thing by the end of this!"
03-13-2017, 10:34 AM
The AMAZING MATILDA MAGNUS comes back to deck from god-knows-where, visibly disappointed at the lack of secret compartments. I mean, she shouldn't be surprised, but she was still disappointed anyway.
03-13-2017, 12:27 PM
"Don't let me keep you!" shouted von Austelung from the tower. "The sooner you leave, the more likely you'll be the first to find the place!"
03-13-2017, 07:12 PM
Klaas nodded appreciatively "Ah right then, I suppose you are in charge of that boiler then? Feel free to recruit anyone on the ship to help with that so we can take off if it isn't running already.. I'm gonna get something to christen this vessel with for a safe passage."

He paused a little when he barely heard some guy from the tower shouting.

"Hasn't he left already? Jeez."
03-13-2017, 07:21 PM (This post was last modified: 03-13-2017 07:22 PM by pail.)
"Uh sure." Shae nodded and headed down to the boiler alone, not knowing anyone else could work it. She checked it out and it all SEEMED pretty familiar... She worked slowly, making sure every step was running smoothly before she went to the next one, slowly starting up the boiler.
03-14-2017, 03:37 AM
Iona was going to say something about cultural and economic differences, but his jitters were so high he couldn't open his mouth without his voice quivering. By the time his nerves chilled themselves he was standing alone.

Time to talk to someone he hadn't embarrassed himself in front of!!! He approaches Ms. Magnus. "So, ma'am, if it is neither too forward of me to ask nor, um, infringing on your free time, I was just going to ask what your goals on this mission were? I'm rather curious about what's brought everyone else on this journey." He was seeking INSPIRATION, and where better to get it than from other folks?
03-14-2017, 05:22 AM
Shae carefully reset the valves and dials (it took her a moment to recognize some parts which she hadn't seen before, but then she realized that they were safety valves) and topped up the fuel tank from one of the barrels of spare fuel in the hold. The engine was ignited, causing the entire ship to shudder with the hiss of steam and muffled thud of pistons, starting slow but gradually picking up speed as the engine built up steam.

At the pilot's wheel, Klaas saw a dial in the middle of the propeller-speed chadburn start to change. The needle moved from the yellow part of the dial to the green.
03-14-2017, 05:41 AM
Marilyn's eyes widened in shock as both Shae and Iona bailed on the 'conversation'. She realized that she was not the easiest person to 'talk' to and that this was a sensitive matter, but come on.

Marilyn briefly considered throwing her chalk as hard as she could off the side of the airship, but quickly decided against it. Instead, she took a deep breath, one that shook with pent up anger on the way out, and took up residence next to Godfrey. At least he hadn't blown her off, wasn't a way out of her league movie star, or wasn't currently getting off to a gatling gun. She briefly considered seeking out Matilda, but those hopes were quickly dashed by the fact that Iona was currently talking to her.
03-14-2017, 05:49 AM
"Alright! That rumbling means the engines are getting warmed up.. NOW IF YA'LL HAVE TO DO SOMETHING BEFORE WE CAST OFF, THIS BE THE TIME TO DO IT. MAKE READY!." He moved the lever of the chad-burn into standby mode and started looking at the map and the ships compass to set his course.
03-14-2017, 06:24 AM (This post was last modified: 03-14-2017 06:24 AM by Demonsul.)
In one-man flyers, the pilot had to be his own navigator, so Klaas had his fair share of experience navigating the sky by maps. He could easily determine the course they needed to take.
03-14-2017, 08:40 AM
"Aye aye, Capitanno!"

Colville finished adjusting Sussanah's sights. He gave her a roguish wink.

"Be seein' ya later, darlin'."

He swaggered off to the main deck, takes the bottle offered by Lilah.

"Offerin' a drink, Miss Lilah? Don't mind if I do."
03-14-2017, 12:30 PM
"All yours, Mr. Colville! Courtesy of the studio. Just warn me when you're opening it - the sound always gives me the most terrible fright." Lilah handed over the bottle, automatically placing one protective hand over the camera lens. She'd seen a lot of equipment wrecked by a badly aimed cork.

"Perhaps a toast, before we start this marvelous adventure? Could I possibly trouble anyone to hold the camera so I can introduce the ship to all your soon-to-be fans?"
03-14-2017, 01:32 PM
"Well I'm good at handlin' fine, delicate things," Colville winked to Lilah, "But I'm already holdin' this bottle. Maybe that Ioner feller will help out, he seems the careful sort."
03-14-2017, 02:37 PM
Godfrey looked over at Marilyn.

"Hm. Evening, miss."
03-14-2017, 02:40 PM
Marilyn blinked in surprise at the sound of Godfrey's voice. What was this, somebody talking to her for once? She looked down, back up at Godfrey, and then looked down and wiped off the words on her blackboard. She then scrawled out a quick 'Hello' on it and presented it to Godfrey.
03-14-2017, 02:40 PM
Shae came back up from the boiler room once it was going steady and looked around the deck. She saw Marilyn next to Godfrey and quickly turned her heel and kinda settled next to Dr. Bakker. She was ready to head into the air, and she just rested against the railing again taking in the scenery.
03-14-2017, 02:46 PM
"Marilyn, right?" Godfrey asked. "Looking forward to the adventure?"
03-14-2017, 02:49 PM
"Oh, hey, it's... what was the feller's name... Shae! Come over here, pardner, we need someone to hold a camera!"
03-14-2017, 02:59 PM
'Yeah.' The board Marilyn presented to Godfrey read. She then erased it and wrote down: 'I am.' After showing it to him, she thought for a moment, and then wrote something else.

'Reason you're here?'
03-14-2017, 03:02 PM
Shae turned her head at her name being called, guess the scenery will have to wait. She wasn't upset though, this was a job after all. She would work to the best of her ability of course, no reason for them to catch something and dock her pay.

She smiled politely and the both of them and nodded. "Hello, Colville was it? And Miss May. I never held a camera before, is it just point and shoot?"
03-14-2017, 03:26 PM
"ADVENTURE, of course!" he said. "Should be a lovely time."
03-14-2017, 03:35 PM
"Looked like what she was doin'. Like a gun!"

Colville cocked a smile, aimed his champagne bottle at the the others, and went "pshew!'
03-14-2017, 03:43 PM
Shae puts it on her shoulder and points the lens at them. If the lens cap was on she probably didn't take it off. She doesn't know how to turn it on either.
"Seems pretty simple enough."