In Progress ABYSS: A Regrettable Foray
03-14-2017, 04:16 PM
RE: ABYSS: A Regrettable Foray
Marilyn nodded. Of course. What else would somebody like... Godfrey be doing here, if not for 'adventure'.

'Cool.' She scribbled out on her blackboard.
03-14-2017, 04:29 PM
He nodded, and went back to looking at the view.
03-14-2017, 10:37 PM
His course set and sort of comfortable with the controls, Klaas began shifted the ship into a slow advance toward the outside of the city out of the main sky traffic that was usual within the sky docks. Klaas figured their boss would bust a fit if they didn't start moving soon...Even without a proper ceremony.

And so the airship would set out for ADVENTURE!

03-15-2017, 02:32 AM
"Just like that. Now, cap off, eye on the viewfinder..." ...maybe stop holding the thousand-dollar piece of equipment like a sack of potatoes... "There. You're a natural!"

Lilah stood back and fluffed her hair. "Am I on my mark? Lighting not too harsh?"
03-15-2017, 05:01 AM
The ship smoothly began to move, quickly picking up speed. There wasn't any traffic around this private tower, which still only had one other airship moored, so it was a straight-line flight south, towards the sea. Von Austelung waved at them from the tower as they moved further and further away.

In mere minutes, they were flying over the warm waters of the Straits of Starday. Below them, a handful of oceanbound ships steamed in and out of the Starday City harbor. There was very little turbulence, though the deck of the ship was quickly starting to get fairly windy.

Klaas guessed that the straight-line route he'd plotted to the temple would probably take about two and a half days, once he got this airship up to full speed. That was, if they weren't interrupted on the way there...
03-15-2017, 05:59 AM
Colville wooed the camera (and the ladies) for a while before finding some glasses for the champagne. He cracked the bottle and poured everyone a glass, though somewhat sloppily.

Afterwards, he set up post near Susannah, kicking his boots up and taking a nap.
03-15-2017, 06:44 AM (This post was last modified: 03-15-2017 06:45 AM by SupahKiven.)
Marilyn did her best to keep some distance between herself and Colville, after taking a glass of champagne from him, of course. She also wanted to keep herself away from the camera's watchful eye. Never felt really photogenic, especially now of all times, considering how riled up she was.

Marilyn headed below deck, reluctantly digging through her suitcase so that she could grab a book, before returning to the deck and placing herself on the opposite side of the ship from the gatling gun. Then she cracked open her linguistics book, took a sip of champagne, and settled in to read for a bit. It'd help the time pass.
03-15-2017, 06:53 AM
Shae followed Lilah's instructions for the camera and got it ready.

"Umm, yeah I think everything's okay to go, just tell me when to start rolling." Shae said over the wind picking up.
03-15-2017, 08:11 AM
Lilah shook out a few locks of her hair, trying to get it appropriately windswept. It was one of the miracles of moving pictures that looking attractively disheveled usually took about four times as long as looking put-together. Let's see who's 'artificially saccharine' now, Tristol Gazette. "Okay, darling, start rolling in three, two, one..."

"Good afternoon, my name is Lilah May! You might remember me from such films as The Were-Bat, The Ghostly Apparition, Return of the Were-Bat, [i[Terrors of the Deep[/i], Revenge of the Were-Bat, The Were-Bat's Apprentice, Curse of the Vampire, Petty Concerns of the Vampire, When Fruitcakes Go Bad, and guest episodes on a number of police procedurals-" Stop for breath, you know how red you get. "-but today we'll be searching for something far more thrilling and more dangerous than any moving picture has captured yet." Aside from maybe Bride of the Were-Bat, that one had been pretty good.

"This is Day One of the Asmoburg Imperial Museum's expedition to the Lost Temple of Uakari, and I am standing on deck of our very own airship, which we have just launched into uncharted jungles, filled with unknowable creatures and untold dangers-" But mostly just a lot of fucking trees. "-and with me are the brave crew of this expedition, ready to do anything in the name of archaeology to ensure that you, the people at home, don't miss a thing!"

She beamed at the camera and glanced around for the easiest victim interviewee. "Miss Isome!" Lilah waved her hand to try to catch the linguist's attention. "Do you think you and your marvelous board could come over here and explain all about the exciting translation work you've been doing?"
03-15-2017, 08:21 AM
Wait, is...is that a camera crew?

The AMAZING MATILDA MAGNUS sneaks behind Lilah May and waves at the camera so she can get recorded.
03-15-2017, 09:25 AM
All she wanted to do was enjoy a little bit of reading before she had to get some work done. She'd settled in, leaning against the wall behind her, champagne balanced in hand and book nestled in her lap. It was as comfortable as she could get without going below deck, and she'd rather not spend her first time on a private airship inside. Still, with the wind whistling in her ears and ruffling her hair, she figured that the others would find some other way to amuse themselves that didn't involve her. So of course it would be the one time she wanted others to pass her by that the oh so lovely voice of one Miss May beckoned to her. Still, Marilyn knew better than to disobey a movie star. She got up, dog earring her page and closing her book, and placed both it and the champagne on the deck.

'Watch my crap.' Her blackboard read, and she tapped Godfrey on the shoulder, showing the message to him. She then, reluctantly, marched over to Lilah and the camera crew, a sullen and irritated look on her face. Great. Perfect and good. She ran a hand through her hair.

'Hi.' The board read when Marilyn presented it to the camera, the linguist herself having taken an awkward position next to Lilah. This was the exact opposite of what she wanted. Still, she put on a strained and kind of awkward smile. Had to look good for the camera. 'Anything specific?' Her board asked. 'Not too much work yet.' 'Just prepping for discovery.'
03-15-2017, 11:37 AM
Colville wouldn't walk away while the camera was running, of course, so he is presumably there with the champagne still. He takes a drink from his glass and watches Marilyn... write. She was t the first mute he'd known. First had been a trapper from the Northern Frontier, who had his throat mauled by a bear and had only barely survived. At least writing on a chalk board was easier to understand than the agitated grunts the trapper had communicated in.

As Matilda sneaks in, Colville smirks at her antics.
03-15-2017, 01:17 PM
"Just tell us about your wonderful work, darling! Have you ever been to the jungle? What sort of strange languages might we need to learn? Should I be making a phrasebook?" How the hell do I order a drink in Ancient Uakari? She'd worked with costars too thick or drug-addled to remember their lines before and made them look heroic. Hell, she'd worked with that gorilla they'd taped horns on to make a dinosaur. It had been more courteous than half her dates. All she had to do was some camera-shy geniuses come off as endearingly quirky instead of flat-out bonkers.

"Actually, if we could just push your hair back like this, so everyone can see your lovely face... Have you thought of wearing it loose?" Lilah started brushing at Marilyn's hair with one hand, holding her shoulders firmly to keep her from bolting. "Not that I'd want to presume, of course... So, how exactly does one become a linguist, anyways?"
03-15-2017, 02:13 PM
'Fuck'. That was Marilyn's first thought once she felt one of Lilah's hands on her face, pushing around her hair, while the other applied a vice grip to her shoulder. Not that she was going to run away in the first place but it was a 'nice' reminder. Her face scrunched up at the contact, and she squirmed a little bit at the unrequested contact. The worst part about this was that she couldn't reply to any of the questions asked to her, as she couldn't see her blackboard. When Lilah was done pushing at her face, Marilyn blinked, finding her face exposed to the camera. This wasn't what she thought was going to be happening, and Marilyn found that she was quite a bit more camera shy than expected. She looked over towards Lilah, and then back at the camera. To her question about her hair, Marilyn shook her head, causing a stray lock of hair to fall back down. She blew it out of her face.

'First time in the jungle.' Marilyn began, frantically scribbling out her answer. She had a lot of backlogged questions, so she tried her best to pace out her responses. 'Might find languages from natives.' 'But we might not need to know it.' 'Depending on the natives' disposition.'

'Lots of study.' Marilyn wrote in response to the 'becoming a linguist' question, offering a shrug in response.
03-15-2017, 03:50 PM
"Umm..." Shae wanted to say something about touching someone like that without permission, but she figured maybe it was just for the camera. What she was going to mention though was the woman photo bombing.

Shae kinda pointed behind Lilah at the AMAZING MATILDA MAGNUS to tip the movie star off to the photobomb.
03-16-2017, 08:19 AM
Like most performers Lilah needed attention the way addicts needed their fix, and like most addicts she always had half an eye on making sure there was enough left in her stash. Following Shae's hand to Matilda's photo-bomb, she suspected she'd run into a kindred spirit. At least she'll know how to make eye contact.

"Thank you so much, Miss Isome - may I call you Marilyn? It is so terribly impressive that you're so young and so accomplished," she cooed, steering Marilyn off-camera. "If you're not too busy I'd love to follow up with you once we get to the jungle. Really see how you go about learning a new tongue. Maybe you can even help someone like me!" Although unless the natives had a wealthy bachelor and she needed to accept a party invitation, she doubted she'd remember much.

"Miss Magnus - I'm so sorry, Miss AMAZING Magnus! I didn't even see you - how on earth did you get in the shot? You must really be a magician!" Lilah motioned for Shae to refocus on her and Matilda. "If we run into danger you can poof us back home in an instant! Do you have time for a quick interview?"
03-16-2017, 08:50 AM
"Oh sure!" The AMAZING MATILDA MAGNUS replied. "I am not sure if it can be easily translated into a silent film, you know, silence and...all. Do I need to pantomime?"
03-16-2017, 10:10 AM
Marilyn stumbled as she was directed off camera, standing in surprise at the speed in which her 'interview' was conducted. She blinked. What the hell?...

Marilyn looked over at Lilah, moving on to her next interviewee. A hand absentmindedly went up, feeling her bangs. Did... did she really look better like this?... Her face screwed up in a scowl, and she brushed her hair around, returning it to its former style. She was pissed that she'd let the interview get the best of her. And that Lilah May... Marilyn didn't want to be caught off guard like that again. God, she looked stupid. Perhaps she'd thank Matilda later for getting her out of that.

With a huff, Marilyn turned heel and returned to her book and champagne.
03-16-2017, 04:27 PM
Iona stands, dejected and completely ignored by Matilda. No more talking to her, he guessed - his question had probably put her off.

He's going to find some corner of the dock far, far away from the film crew and stand in a corner. He'd worked up the courage to stand on deck. Best to catch the sight while he still had it.
03-16-2017, 09:52 PM
Klaas looks out over the horizon, content on piloting the ship and watching out for things on the horizon.

He also sets the lever to a higher speed.
03-17-2017, 04:54 AM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2017 04:58 AM by Demonsul.)
As the ship sped up, Klaas watched the horizon. He saw the occasional bit of sky-traffic he was sharing the skies with. Soon, the wind on deck picked up considerably as they sped faster and faster through the air, making filming difficult as loose clothing and hair was blown about. The views were impressive, if monotonous. The sea did sparkle quite nicely in the bright sun below, and the wind was still warm at this comparatively low altitude.

As sunset started to approach, the coast of Uakari came into view to the south. Klaas saw a large airship dead ahead, signaling that it intended to approach them. It seemed like another exploratory vessel, larger and more grandiose, with writing along the balloon envelope - Brilliant Horizon. Some of the group, those with more familiarity with upper-class celebrities, would recognize it as the airship of Sir Bartholomew Gallant, a famous Knightward Tristolian explorer who had, among other achievements, unearthed the tomb of the Second Emperor, located the exact center of the Yumar Desert and discovered more than sixteen different varieties of lemur.
03-17-2017, 05:04 AM
Klaas steers cleer from assumed weapon range and goes FULL SPEED.
03-17-2017, 05:07 AM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2017 05:07 AM by Demonsul.)
The sudden lurch to Emergency Speed nearly knocked a few people off their feet. Dr. Bakker, who had been standing at the railing facing the wrong direction to see the other airship, gripped onto it for dear life as he almost lost his footing. "What's going on?!" he shouted.
03-17-2017, 05:16 AM
"Oh, my stars! Just a moment, I'll be right back!" Lilah dropped her camera-smile and rushed to Klaas, leaving Matilda and Shae with the camera. "Klaas, darling, why are we going so fast? That's Sir Bartholomew Gallant! I met him at the most [ilovely[/i] boat party with dear Lady Oakshaw last summer, such a charming man - so many stories to tell." SO MANY. "I'd meant to find him during the dancing, but I-" Didn't realize that liquor and boats are natural enemies. "-came down with the most terrible case of the vapors and had to retire belowdecks. Such a shame, people were talking about that party for simply ages..."

"Anyways, I do realize that we may be somewhat at odds on our little project here, but shouldn't we at least say hello? Camaraderie and the spirit of adventure and all that?" The producers would kill her if she let a chance like this get away.
03-17-2017, 05:24 AM
Colville, who had certainly retired to a spot by Susannah by bow, is jerked awake. He turns his head to shout to Klaas.

"The hell's goin' on?! Pirates?!"
03-17-2017, 05:24 AM
Marilyn scrambled for purchase as the ship suddenly sped up much faster than it had previously been going. She tumbled, bumping her head on the floor and nearly losing her grip on her book. Her eyes lit up in anger, and she jumped to her feet. It took a few moments for her to get her footing on the speeding ship, and once she did, Marilyn began marching off, hastily scribbling a message onto her board.

Marilyn busted into the control room, radiating fury. She stomped up to Klaas and, ignoring Lilah, whacked him on the head with her blackboard, presenting the message on it a few moments later.

'WHAT ARE YOU DOING???'
03-17-2017, 05:47 AM
Klaas got accosted by blackboard

'H-hey! Ow!'

Klaas got punted further

"I'm just beating the competition. That was our job right?"

Klaas reluctantly goes back one setting lower.
03-17-2017, 05:59 AM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2017 06:00 AM by Kocel.)
Colville peers at the other ship.

"Well, they ain't shootin' at us yet... should... Should I shoot first? I mean, looks preeeetty fancy for a pirate ship."
03-17-2017, 06:03 AM
"They outgun us and this isn't a warship. Lets not."
03-17-2017, 06:09 AM
"I mean, if they're gonna board us, that's a lot of folk for me to shoot... listen, I'm just gonna hide behind Susanna with my rifle, if they start causin' trouble, I'll start givin' it back."
03-17-2017, 06:21 AM
Iona barely manages to hold on to the railing as the ship suddenly accelerates! As soon as he regains his balance, his nerves shift from ones set on nervousness to frustration. "Are you both damnedly insane?! Accelerating to maximum speed?! I almost fell off the damn ship! And you!!" He glares at Colville, angry for the first time in the whole of the journey. "What are you thinking?! Starting a fight?!?!? What ARE you thinking, you over swollen sac of testostero...."

He starts realizing how very small he is in comparison with these men. His father's words echo in his head: "in a gentleman's disagreement, there are only two options: dishonor and death." The thought of having to kill - or more likely be killed by - this cowboy was unpleasant, no matter how foolish he was. It filled him with a mixture of fear, self-loathing, and that ever-familiar anxiety.

"...I, um. I apologize. I don't know what came over me, sir. I merely meant to say that I - being of weak constitution - would rather we avoided bloodshed or unnecessary danger today. If that's okay, I mean. I'm. Uhm. Sorry."
03-17-2017, 06:37 AM
Marilyn sneered, running a hand through her hair. Honestly, what were these idiots thinking, talking about shooting at some ship that hadn't even done anything yet. Especially one owned by Sir Bartholomew Gallant, if Miss May was to be trusted. She'd heard of him around, her father had met a lot of adventurers, and there was a lot of talk to be had between them, but she wouldn't be able to identify his airship on look alone.

Marilyn marched out of the control room, undoing her braid as she did so. Her hair flopped down over her shoulders, looking much longer now that it wasn't tied up. If she was going to be meeting somebody like Sir Bartholomew Gallant, she wanted to at least not look like garbage. He might know her father, and she didn't want to give off the impression that she couldn't compare. And if they weren't... she was still pissed. She began to fix it as she headed below deck.
03-17-2017, 06:39 AM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2017 07:31 AM by Kocel.)
Colville looks furious... ly disappointed.

"What? No! Finish what you were sayin' in the first place, Ioner! Almost saw half a spine comin' out of ya then, and you just go from coyote to prairie hen for no gat-danged reason! You wanna pick a fight, pick a fight! Ain't gonna knock yer jaw as long as ya don't talk bad about my ma, mah guns, or these here fine ladyfolk! What were ya calling me.. a sack of testowhatsit? Ya mean like what done hangs from the business end of a- Well I don't see how that's an insult, Ioner, but it's a start."
03-17-2017, 07:30 AM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2017 07:32 AM by Protoman.)
This man was a fighter! He clearly WANTED to bait Iona into a duel! This was a dangerous game he was playing and he'd have to tread lightly to escape this minefield.

"I- er, that is to say, my intention was not to pick a fight, sir, merely to air my grievances. I did so in a manner unbecoming of a scion of the house Naumov, though, and for that, you have my humblest apologies and my truest promise that it will not happen again. That said, Miss Marilyn seems rather upset. As you concern yourself with the feelings of our fairer companions, would you like to join me in ensuring her feelings are not further trampled upon?"

Yes! For once he felt GOOD about how he'd gone about this. The topic would change, and the brute would be distracted from his violent impulses!
03-17-2017, 07:44 AM
Shae rubbed her shoulder. Damn, that recording session was long, the only solace that she got from it is that she wasn't the one on camera. She started to set the camera down but then the ship ACCELERATED and she almost lost grip of the thing, it turning into her trying to not drop it and keep it in her hands. She really hoped Lilah didn't see that juggling act.

Shae look at the other ship, it looked civilian so she didn't worry to much about it. Instead she wondered what the sudden increase of speed did to the boiler. She quickly headed below deck, uttering a polite excuse me as she passed Marylin. She got to the boiler and checked how it was doing.
03-17-2017, 08:26 AM
The AMAZING MATILDA MAGNUS was wondering why the ship was going so fast and, oh I see. The rival explorer. No big deal as long as she get paid.

Anyway, the AMAZING MATILDA MAGNUS goes to Iona to apologize to him for blowing him off. The camera is basically so enthralling you know?
03-17-2017, 08:54 AM
Hm...if they were in competition with the famed Sir Gallant, that must've meant they were after the good shit. REAL SOLID ADVENTURE.

Which meant that they needed to beat the bastard there!

Godfrey went to the bridge!

"Gentlemen, ladies, this is our opportunities to beat Sir Gallant to the prize. A way to make our names, and be the first to uncover these great and glorious treasures! Needless to say, I support speeding past him with all due haste!"
03-17-2017, 09:19 AM
"Well, ya need to convince the finer folk aboard the vessel of that."
03-17-2017, 09:34 AM
"G'DAMNIT. MAKE UP YER MINDS OR GIT."

Klaas had just about enough of this.
03-17-2017, 09:57 AM
When Shae checked the boiler, she saw that the pressure seemed a little high, but it was still safe and already dropping back to normal.

As Klass reduced the speed, the Brilliant Horizon drew closer and closer. While they discussed whether to stop and let them meet up, it got close enough that the more eagle-eyed members of the group could make out a muscular man with a large mustache and a pith helmet standing prominently at the rail, looking out towards them. He waved.
03-17-2017, 09:58 AM
Klaas looks for a bosun whistle.
03-17-2017, 10:00 AM
He found one hanging on the casing of the wheel. Convenient!
03-17-2017, 10:02 AM
He blows the whistle in greeting... and to get the people who were mucking about to pay attention to that guy
03-17-2017, 10:04 AM
"Oh neat, I guess this guy is important." The AMAZING MATILDA MAGNUS goes over to the side to look at this Sir Gallant man.
03-17-2017, 10:42 AM
Well, the boiler was alright, looks like she could trust this thing more than the ones she was used to working with. Well actually, no one would really bother her here. Shae took off her jacket and sat down, taking refuge in the boiler room, not knowing what was going on up top.
03-17-2017, 11:18 AM
Lilah waved back at the man on the other airship. "Oh, forget being first, we simply must say hello. A gentleman such as Sir Gallant would never use our good manners to his advantage." He was far too concerned with his reputation for that. "Please, can't we stop? It won't take long."
03-17-2017, 01:48 PM
Iona nods and assures Matilda that nothing's wrong (lying all the way of course!).

"I suggest we give him our greetings. Honor is predicated, not merely on the absence of bad behavior, but on gentlemanly behavior when it can be mustered. If... that makes sense. Or matters, I guess."

He shrugs and sighs. "Again, Mr. Colville, I must ask - would you like to join me in making sure Marilyn is alright?"
03-17-2017, 01:51 PM
"Hm? The bookish gal? Sure, why not. Think she was just mad about the ship jerkin', though."
03-19-2017, 02:33 PM (This post was last modified: 03-19-2017 02:34 PM by Demonsul.)
As the ship drew closer, the figure became clearer. Bartholomew Gallant was a muscular man with a lantern jaw and a magnificent waxed mustache. The six feet from his pith helmet to his rubber boots was every inch the explorer.

As he drew into shouting distance (over the perpetual muted thunder of the engine pistons), he called out to the Avant. "Ahoy there! Sir Bartholomew Gallant, at your service! You fine fellows wouldn't happen to be heading into the jungle to look for the Lost Temple, would you?"
03-19-2017, 10:02 PM (This post was last modified: 03-19-2017 10:03 PM by Bramzter.)
Klaas gives a affirmative toot