In Progress ABYSS: A Regrettable Foray
07-21-2017, 08:38 AM
RE: ABYSS: A Regrettable Foray
At the sound of the gunshot, Marilyn's face scrunched up. She turned towards it briefly before shaking her head and scrawling something out on her board.

'I'm going back to the ship.' And with that, she was gone, making her way back towards their wreck. She really didn't wanna be here anymore.
07-21-2017, 02:33 PM (This post was last modified: 07-21-2017 02:34 PM by Protoman.)
Iona's nervous anxiety shattered into outright panic. "Oh God, he might be in trouble! I've got to go help!"

He dashes into the trees after the mystery man and Marta!
07-21-2017, 02:37 PM
Colville picks up his rifle and waist revolver!

"Shit. Come on, Godfrey. We better make sure our new friends ain't killin' each other."

He dashes off into the treeline.

"I won't shoot at anything that I ain't sure is livin', swear!"

That probably wasn't as reassuring as he meant.
07-21-2017, 03:04 PM
Sofía looked after the people charging off into the trees, then at the corpse of Gallant, then set off after Marilyn.
07-22-2017, 01:38 AM
After a moment's hesitation, Lilah started after Marilyn too. Hopefully Iona would come back soon- she'd had enough gunshots for one day.
07-22-2017, 02:53 AM
Marilyn had slowed her pace down to see if anybody was actually coming with her, and her eyes lit up slightly when she noticed who was. She stopped briefly and scribbled something onto her chalkboard, scratching away at some of the dried blood on its surface so she could have a little more room to write. When Lilah caught up, Marilyn presented it to her.

'Can we talk real quick?'
07-22-2017, 07:28 AM
Lilah read the message, then smiled back slightly. "I was just about to ask you the same." She glanced around at the dark jungle. "Do you think we should get back on the ship first?" It was sort of a toss-up - there were more potential listeners in there, but who-knows-what out here.
07-22-2017, 07:33 AM
'Ship's probably better.' Marilyn wrote back. Her lips were pursed, and she glanced briefly back at Guillaume's ship. 'My room?'
07-22-2017, 08:03 AM
"Sounds good to me. We can find poor Sofia something dry to wear." Lilah picked up her pace - she didn't want to be in the jungle any longer than she had to.
07-22-2017, 08:37 AM
Marilyn nodded in agreement, looking back at Sofía and smiling apologetically. As Lilah sped up, Marilyn lingered briefly, her hand lifting up a little bit for half a second before it returned to her side. She motioned at Sofía, her smile widening slightly, before moving to catch up with Lilah.
07-28-2017, 03:15 PM
Godfrey glanced around, shrugged, and went to walk back to their ship.
07-28-2017, 03:23 PM
Marilyn, Lilah, Sofía and Godfrey went back to the ship, leaving nobody outside. (Matilda was already aboard, chilling in the common area.)

As Marilyn looked around for somewhere to speak quietly to Lilah, there was the sudden sound of something climbing up the outside of the ship. It was the scraping of frantic claws digging into the hull as something climbed its way onto the upper deck.
07-28-2017, 03:26 PM
Oh bloody hell, what was it now!?

Godfrey went up to the upper deck with his pistol out. Probably a...really big clawed lizard or something. Yeah.
07-28-2017, 03:36 PM
Not quite learning her lesson from the jaguar incident, Matilda hustles to see what the noise was but not grabbing a weapon.
07-29-2017, 03:05 PM (This post was last modified: 07-29-2017 03:53 PM by SupahKiven.)
As she readied her room a bit to prep for her talk with Lilah, Marilyn heard a scraping. A scratching. Like claws... She frowned. That was never going to be a good sound, probably ever. She heard some people heading to the upper deck and decided it would probably be good to head up after them. As she headed up, Marilyn remembered something, and made a mental note to ask Sofía about it later.
07-31-2017, 04:32 AM
Godfrey, Matilda and Marilyn went up onto the deck, closely followed by Isabela and Shae as they came out of Shae's cabin. Emerging onto the deck, they saw a gaunt, inhuman face with a lipless mouth full of razor teeth appear, pulling itself up the side of the ship with one long, claw-tipped arm while the other hung limply by its side, stained in dried mud.

It had barely pulled itself up head and shoulders above the side when it saw the group, and it froze, paralyzed for a split second between fight and flight. In that moment, its pure black eyes found Isabela.
07-31-2017, 04:45 AM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2017 04:46 AM by Bigshot.)
There's a great burst of energy from Isabela as she sprints her way out of Shae's cabin, her feet skidding to a stop as she takes in the sight before her.

Or, rather, the creature before her.

The breath in her lungs catches as her eyes widen, her shoulders still heaving as though she was gasping. Instinctively, her hand clutches tightly around the rocks in her pocket, and she notes the steadily growing warmth. A very, very bad sign.
Her other hand grips her multi-tool defensively, and she switches the blade out as she takes a step forwards.
07-31-2017, 05:18 AM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2017 05:22 AM by pail.)
She stumbled after Isabela and stopped right behind her as she saw the thing. A strike of fright ran through herself as she saw that thing. This must be the monster Isabela told her about. She saw the monster look at Isabela and her heart pounded. She pushed Isabela down behind her as soon as she saw it's target.
07-31-2017, 05:45 AM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2017 10:27 AM by Bigshot.)
The shove takes Isabela by surprise, and she stumbles back half a step before catching herself. Pulling her fist from her pocket, she uses that hand to shove Shae's arm away, stepping to the side so Shae is no longer BLOCKING HER VIEW, but instead standing beside her. There's a determined set to her jaw, and she's careful to keep the rocks tightly in her fist as she lowers her arm again, keeping her eyes on the...monster.
07-31-2017, 09:06 AM
Godfrey's first instinct was to shoot the hell out of it.

But then Godfrey remembered all the strange, supernatural occurrences going on at the moment. And also remembered what had happened with the golden statue, and the person trapped within it.

It was entirely possible that this humanoid monstrosity was once (or still was) a person. So Godfrey backed away a bit, drawing his sword in his other hand, but not shooting at the thing.

"Stay back from them! If you attack, I'll be forced to shoot!" Godfrey warned.
07-31-2017, 09:43 AM
What... the hell? What the hell? What the hell was that thing? Marilyn took a step back in surprise as the monster hauled itself up onto the deck. And who the hell was this chick that it was staring at? Marilyn was all sorts of confused about the current scenario, her eyes darting between Isabela and the monster. What was going on here? Her head filled with words.
08-13-2017, 07:48 PM
The creature was frozen for only a split second, before launching itself at Isabela. Reaching forward with its claw, it lashed out at her arm gripping the stones and wrenched it forward, throwing her off-balance with its unnatural strength. With a visceral crack, the creature immediately twisted Isabela's arm, trying desperately to get her to release the stones she was holding--
08-13-2017, 07:50 PM
"RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!" roared Godfrey.

GODFREY CLOSED IN AND MURDERED THE FUCK OUT OF IT WITH HIS SWORD.
08-13-2017, 07:52 PM (This post was last modified: 08-13-2017 07:54 PM by Bigshot.)
How the fuck do you respond to a monster launching itself at you?

Well. Y'know. Screaming and trying to stab this thing, of course. Which is what Isabela does. She lets out a cry as she's tugged forward, her grip on the stones only tightening. It's strange, how distant the pain seems despite the audible snap that rings in the air. Was that a snap that belonged to her? Was that her bone?

Huh.

Yeah, she's going to use her other arm to stab the fuck outta this thing again, not letting go of those stones! Fuck off! Get your own stones!
08-13-2017, 07:59 PM
Godfrey slammed into the beast, cleaving at it with his sword! His blade cut straight through its arm with a sickening crunch, leaving its clawed hand with a death grip locked on Isabela's broken wrist. The creature shrieked and backed up, spurting blood that looked almost exactly like mud from its arm-stump, before taking another slash across its chest, flinging itself backwards with great speed and disappearing off of the side of the ship.

They heard it crash through the undergrowth, rapidly escaping.
08-13-2017, 08:02 PM (This post was last modified: 08-13-2017 08:03 PM by Cidellus.)
"FLEE, YOU COWARDLY BEAST!" Godfrey roared after it before rushing to Isabela.

He'd give whatever medical attention he could! Taking extra special care to make sure none of the creature's blood made contact with Isabela's wound!
08-13-2017, 08:09 PM
Oh.
Is that an arm connected to her? Without being connected to the creature it originally came from?

Isabela's stomach roils, and she has to swallow dryly to avoid vomiting everywhere. With a trembling hand, she sheathes the blade from her multi-tool and starts desperately attempting to wipe the nasty, muddy blood away from her face.

Uh. She. Also wants to pry this thing's arm off of her. Though that makes her want to puke again. She's holding her breath, taking in short, stilted inhalations. Like a step before hyperventilation.
"Is-- i-is it bad?" She seems to be doing her best to avoid looking directly at the throbbing pain in her wrist. That snap couldn't have been good, but it didn't hurt that badly...
08-15-2017, 03:07 PM
Lilah was still belowdecks, exhausted and confused. The she heard all the commotion and screams and - God, was that a fight? She broke into a run, heading abovedecks to find out what was going on.
08-15-2017, 03:21 PM
Godfrey helped Isabela with her arm, prying off the severed hand. It was pretty apparent that her wrist was badly broken, but there weren't any bones piercing the skin or anything. It looked like it just needed to be set in order to heal. The best Godfrey could think of was keep it from moving around and hope that was enough until Bakker woke up or they got back to civilization. Isabela knew that Karim would probably be able to set it properly, too.

As this was sorted out, Lilah and Sofía came up on deck, seeing Godfrey tending to Isabela and a severed, muddy claw lying on the deck. Sofía looked at everything, her eyes lingering on the severed hand, and then moving to Isabela. <"Are you alright?"> she said in Coronan. Then she turned to Marilyn. <"Is she alright? What happened?">

In the clearing next to the ship, Colville, Daibhedh and Marta reappeared. Marta was struggling to bandage a cut on her hand (considering her other arm was a prosthetic, it was hard for her to bandage her real hand - she was having to use her teeth) while Colville was carrying a hog-tied Iona over his shoulder.
08-15-2017, 03:52 PM (This post was last modified: 08-15-2017 03:55 PM by Bigshot.)
The first-aid hurts! Not unbearably, though. It's not so bad, in fact, as the last time Isabela can recall breaking a bone. Her stomach, usually pretty weak, doesn't seem to be too disturbed looking at her broken wrist. At least there's no blood, right? She thanks Godfrey almost absent-mindedly before spacing out for a few moments.

Snapping out of a reverie of gazing down at her hand, Isabela clutches her hand tightly around whatever's in her palm, meeting Sofía's gaze as the other woman addresses her in her mother tongue. The accent isn't the same one from her country, but it is a welcome dialogue nonetheless.

Or it would be, if she wasn't suddenly filled with dread. As surreptitiously as possible, she brings her closed fist up to the goggles around her neck, placing the green stone into the socket and doing her best to lift the goggles up to peer through it at this...new woman. If she was going to turn away to speak to this other person, that gave Isabela a few seconds to get a glimpse before dropping it all and pretending she was doing absolutely nothing.
08-15-2017, 04:11 PM
"You're quite welcome," he nodded to her. "If you'd like, you can use my bed below deck to rest. I won't be sleeping for quite a while."
08-15-2017, 04:26 PM
After Isabela dropped the goggles, Sofía turned back to her with a hopeful expression. <"You can speak this language, can't you?"> she said, sounding a little unsure.
08-15-2017, 04:42 PM
Isabela's eyes are wide as she drops her goggles, staring at Sofía. It seems as though she's looking for some sort of change in demeanor, her gaze lingering on the pendant at Sofía's chest for a moment before flicking back up to her face.

<"I...I speak the language, yes. It's my first. I'm...fine, mostly. Injured, but there was a monster. It's...nothing horrendous."> She swallows dryly, struggling to catch her breath and glancing down at her fist.
08-15-2017, 04:53 PM
Godfrey glanced between them.

He didn't speak Coronan.
08-15-2017, 04:55 PM (This post was last modified: 08-15-2017 04:56 PM by Protoman.)
<"E-Excuse me! Could one of you please help me? Colville has labeled me a madman and tied me up, and I... Um... I'm sorry if I'm interrupting, but my feet are beginning to fall asleep!!">
08-15-2017, 05:20 PM
Isabela looked at Sofía's fist, then held out a hand to take her wrist to look at it. <"If..."> She hesitated, as if making a decision. <"If you want, I can help with that,"> she said.

Then Iona shouted, and she looked down over the side at the group. <"I don't think he'd understand me,"> she called.

At that, Mac emerged from the undergrowth behind the group on the ground. "Colville! What in tarnation is goin' on? I saw a half-starved monster thing runnin' through the trees!" He looked at the group. "What, are these folks on our side now? An' why's the Zimskie tied up?"
08-15-2017, 05:26 PM
Some pretty grossly accented Coronan floats up to Isabela and she perks up, blinking and glancing down in the direction the sound came from.

<"It...would be difficult for me to help! I just broke my arm! Do you want me to get someone to help you?">

Then she turns to Godfrey, swallowing dryly again.
"Thank you for the offer of your bed, but I will turn it down. I would rather not...impose, anyway. I can rest in the storage area without kicking you out of your room. Or...anyone out of their rooms. Unless you are offering to room up, that is different." Her eyes flicker to Shae before she manages a...weak smile.
Then her eyes move back to Sofía again, only staying for a moment before moving back to Godfrey and Shae--

Until Sofía interjects again. That's, uh. That's...a strange thing to say, isn't it?
Isabela blinks, glancing down at her wrist before slowly offering it.
<"What...would you do? How would you help? It-- it is broken."> She tilts her head, her expression confused and...a little bit scared. Though this was a learning opportunity if nothing else.
08-15-2017, 07:59 PM
"If you'd prefer that, then I wouldn't be opposed to such a thing," Godfrey said, nodding. "If it's all right, I'll go tend to Iona. Make certain all is well."
08-16-2017, 12:20 AM (This post was last modified: 08-16-2017 04:41 AM by Bigshot.)
Isabela blinks, turning her attention from Sofía for a moment to nod her head at Godfrey. "He is tied up by the one who...murdered Gallant." The words leave her mouth with difficulty, only finally being expelled as she practically spits them, lip curled. Her free, un-broken, un-held wrist reaches out for Shae, and even with the rocks in her palm she's got her fingers free to reach for a hand. Her mind rushing back to all the murder that happened...really makes her want some support, is all.

<"Will you be setting it? Are you a doctor?"> She says to Sofía again.
08-16-2017, 01:19 AM
Lilah had basically no idea what was going on, but that had never stopped her from yelling before and by God it wouldn't stop her now. "Iona! Godfrey, what on Earth happened? Are you all alright?" Seeing Marta struggling with the bandage, she moved to help her, sidestepping the strange claw on the deck. She could look at that once she knew what had happened up here.
08-16-2017, 02:44 AM
Marta was distracted from the situation trying to do something about her hand, when suddenly someone grabbed bandages from her mouth and began taking care of it for her.

"Look I-"

She freezes up as she looks at her helper. She remembered the one time a couple of her dads took her to one of those fancy picture shows. Some exciting story about a mining town attacked by a hideous race of mole men.

"Have I seen you... somewhere?"
08-16-2017, 06:00 AM
"Hmm?" Lilah looked up at the girl over her (mediocre) bandage job. She didn't look familiar. "Oh, darling, you must have seen one of my films. I do hope it was one of the decent ones - sometimes your agent brings you gold and, well, sometimes its a radioactive squirrel king. I'm Lilah."

"Now, can you please tell me what happened? I seem to have missed quite a..." She glanced sidelong at Iona. "...a... well, shitshow, if you'll pardon my Fransk. Who are you people, and what left that?" The last came with a nod towards the nasty claw.
08-16-2017, 07:15 AM (This post was last modified: 08-16-2017 07:16 AM by pail.)
It happened so fast. She wanted to keep Isabela out of harms way, knowing she didn't have the powers she did. She didn't expect the retaliation and shove at her own hand from Isabela. Not prepared, she was to slow to react as the monster grabbed at her new friend. Terrified at the monster itself and the fact that it grabbed Isabela froze her on the spot. She was thankful Godfrey had the sense to react, his quick action made it so Isabela only got, abit brutally, a broken wrist.
She stood quietly to the side, letting him attend to Isabela. She seemed to be taking the blow better than Shae would, she seemed to be braver than her in general. Though now Shae's thinking she holds a bit of a death wish with her, knowing she actively sought the monster before, and now stepping away from Shae to take the blow.

At the side she silently wallowed in her shame and cowardice. She has lost count at how many times she fell to fear during these few short days. Even with the new found gift, that she still had a hard time wrapping her head around, she couldn't bring herself to fight fear. It was pretty shameful in her mind. She wanted to help the new girl but she had failed. That was the long and the short of it.

She was ruminating in this as they had their conversation in their first tongue. She kept glancing down at the claw as well, her stomach dropping everytime. They didn't kill it. It is probably going to come back, a throughly whispered in her head. She promised herself she will be able to face it next time. While she was glancing at the arm she also saw the grapple gun on Godfrey's belt. Well her reputation in his eyes was already terrible, so what did it matter at this point, she gave it to him anyways. She quickly called on her pick pocketing skills to take it back. She put it in her belt behind her before anyone noticed.

Her attention turned back to the conversation when she herd Imperial. When Isabela grabbed her hand her heart clenched a little. She still looked to her for comfort? But she failed... She sighed and leaned down and whispered as to not interrupt her conversation.

"You're not sleeping in storage, stay in my room if you'd like." She squeezed her hand gently to send some comfort. "After what you have been through, you deserve it." It's a small way to make it up to her at least. That broken wrist is going to suck for a while, at least she could be comfortable.
08-16-2017, 07:22 AM
<"I don't know anything about medicine, but I can help with..."> said Sofía, trailing off a little anxiously. She looked over at Marilyn to cast a slightly panicked expression her way, then turned back to Isabela. <"How much have you been told about what we found in the Temple?">
08-16-2017, 07:44 AM
The whisper splits Isabela's attention, and she glances up at Shae before nodding her head. "That would be nice," she admits in her heavily accented Imperial, her tone almost ashamed, "I would rather not be alone right now."

And for good reason. She was still reeling from all that had happened, and while her mind constantly grasped for reason and logic, she was growing increasingly anxious. Anxious, and scared.

Coronan fills her ears again and she grips Shae's hand tighter, eyes settling on Sofía's face.
<"I have never been to the temple. I know that there were artifacts located, and some powers obtained, allegedly. What are you offering to help with? The monster? My wounds?"> She seems more confused than before, the tilt to her head back again as she scrutinizes Sofía with wide, curious eyes.
08-16-2017, 07:46 AM
Godfrey went down to Iona and Colville, and began freeing Iona with his knife.

"He has his wits about him, Colville," Godfrey said. "This is just a strange jungle. I fought some bloody freakish humanoid monster thing a few minutes ago. It nearly killed Isabela."
08-16-2017, 12:03 PM
Marta's face goes red. A movie star? She stares, slack-jawed, at the celebrity, Diabhedh and Isabela might notice, in the same way she marveled at Gallant when she was first met him. Eventually she stops stuttering and shakes her head.

"Um, yeah, Revenge of the Land of the Queen of the Mole People. You were the bride of the son of the queen of the mole people."

She shakes her head again.

"I mean, don't worry about it. We were sent to find out what happened to Mister Gallant's ship and bring whoever killed his people back to the Empire. Then..."

She looks over to where Gallant was killed. Yup, that sobers her back up.

"Your bandit friend murdered him. Then your weird friend used jungle powers and made everything worse. Then the beast..."

Marta then notices the hand Lilah was staring at. "I-it was here?"
08-22-2017, 08:13 AM
Marilyn shook herself out of her stupor. There was a lot going on, and not a lot of time to take it all in. Her brain barely registered everything else, though her ears did catch Sofía's question, and her eyes caught her expression. She made her way over to Sofía and Isabela, looking the unknown woman over for a moment before gently placing a hand on Sofía's shoulder. Other than that, she simply watched.
08-24-2017, 07:20 AM
Colville had allowed Iona to be freed without much arguing.

"I dunno, Godfrey, we need to keep an eye on 'im, I'm pretty sure this jungle-heat has got some sickness into his brain... All of our brains, really, but poor Ioner has it the worst, I think. We need to cool down and get some rest."

He went to look at the strange hand that had been cut off the 'creature.'

"Pretty sure this is an albino man-ape. Heard tell of 'em before... Reckon I could track it. Kill it before it comes back again... Worse, if this thing has some sorta pack it lives in, it could bring a whole lot of 'em to us."
08-25-2017, 11:54 PM
Albino...man-ape? The violent one spoke nonsense. As he treads closer to the hand-- and Isabela-- her lip curls, eyes trailing from Shae and Sofía to stare at him instead. Make sure he didn't get too close...or attack anyone else...or say anything else stupid...

Though in her head she also considered those all complete inevitability. This guy was the worst guy.