In Progress ABYSS: A Regrettable Foray
08-27-2017, 04:53 AM
RE: ABYSS: A Regrettable Foray
A heavy chugging sound echoed over the clearing, and before long a small air-skiff was lurching across the the sky, barely avoiding colliding with the captured pirate airship. Looking barely big enough for a handful of people, it veered through the sky in clumsy fashion, with Karim at the wheel desperately trying to keep it under control. With some difficulty, he managed to land it in the clearing next to the crashed ship, scraping through branches on the way down.

Sofía hesitated in her response to Isabela, but then the other woman looked away to stare at Colville. <"I hope you never have to go to that temple,"> she said, to get Isabela's attention again. <"It's a horrible place. But I can help with your wounds' healing, so long as I'm helping an actual doctor.">
08-27-2017, 06:39 AM
Karim wiped the sweat from his brow as he set down the ship and turned off the engine. He grabbed his things again and climbed over the side.

"Ho! What is happening here?"

The one, the only, Vancho!
08-27-2017, 10:01 AM
Sofía's voice pulls Isabela back to attention, and her brow furrows.
<"I understand it is horrible but I must go to get my answers. It is the only place that might be able to clarify things for me."> When Karim comes back into view, Isabela waves her bandaged arm, keeping her broken one in place against her ribs.

"Karim! You are back! Will you come here, please? I require your...medical assistance. The monster, he came back and he broke me."
08-27-2017, 10:03 AM
"Gods above! I shall come immediately!"

Karim made sure he had his medical supplies and ran over to see what he could do.

"This is quite bad, you say it was the monster? It is dealt with, yes?"

08-27-2017, 10:08 AM (This post was last modified: 08-27-2017 10:17 AM by Bigshot.)
Ah, yes. Karim's enthusiasm. Isabela only barely flinches away from it this time before forcing a pained smile.

"It, ah. It is one arm less because of the large man called Godfrey. But it will be back. It wants me-- or, ah. What I have." She holds her wrist up for him to look at, then glances to Sofía and inclines her head to point. "This one would also like to help."
<"Karim is a doctor. He can help you help...me and anyone else injured. You are-- I never got your name, did I?"> Her head tilts again as she looks to Sofía, her un-broken wrist falling back down to grab for Shae's hand.

It's comforting, at this point, she's pretty sure. Probably more for Shae than her, of course. Because she's-- so, so tough, obviously.
08-27-2017, 10:50 AM
At Isabela's words, Marilyn frowned. Her gaze flicked over to Sofía for a moment, her expression annoyed and yet... expectant, before she looked away again. After a moment of hesitation, she removed her hand from Sofía's shoulder and stepped away somewhat, though she still remained nearby.
08-27-2017, 07:10 PM
Iona looks to Karim! "You are a doctor, yes? Could you help our doctor? He is a man named Bakker - a good man who does not deserve this fate. I know there has been much distrust sewn between our groups, but please - you must help him. He was poisoned in the... In the temple." The last few words are nervous. He knows how bad this probably sounds!
08-28-2017, 04:29 AM
Hm.

Godfrey went to look for his golden statue. Wherever the hell it went.
08-28-2017, 06:57 AM
Karim looked around at the people talking to him.

"It is in my duty as one who has studied the medical arts to provide whatever aid I can to those in need. However, I must first deal with the more urgent patient. Isabela, I shall set your broken bones, but you must explain to me better. What is it that you have which the monster wants?"

As he waited for an answer, Karim prepared splints and bandages. He did not let on that he had understood what Isabela had said to the other woman. Whatever her motivation for speaking another language, Karim did not feel it important to interject into their conversation.

08-28-2017, 07:45 AM
Setting a broken bone is going to hurt, she knows that much, and she clenches the rock tightly in her palm, squeezing Shae's hand tightly in the process.

"Uh. I found a thing. The creature wants the thing. It came back for it now when it broke my wrist. I am not...sure why, but I do not think it should fall into its hands. Or, um. Its claw. The one claw, since the other is gone, now." Her lips purse. Yeah. Just the one claw.
08-28-2017, 04:42 PM (This post was last modified: 08-28-2017 04:43 PM by Demonsul.)
Sofía looked at Marilyn as she backed away. Her expression was one of uncertainty.

<"My name is Sofía,"> she replied to Isabela, reaching out to touch the arm that Karim was starting to treat. <"Let me see that. I can help.">

As Karim fussed over the wound, he could see that something had wrenched Isabela's wrist and broken some of the wrist bones. It'd probably need a cast once they were back in civilization, but in the meantime he could just bind it in thick bandages to try and immobilize it and dose Isabela with painkillers. Even once it had received proper treatment, it might take up to two months to heal. Conventional medicine could only do so much.

However, as he continued to work treating the break, setting and splinting it in the right position so it could heal as Sofía helped with holding it steady, he saw that it wasn't actually that severe. Not that much seemed to actually be badly broken, leaving a lot of seemingly superficial damage. It might in fact heal in a matter of weeks.
08-28-2017, 04:50 PM
Marilyn offered Sofía a half-assed shrug, looking a little displeased. Her face contorted into an expression of concern before she looked away again. She didn't want to get in the way. After a moment of thinking, she turned and trudged off, though she still remained in earshot for the time being.
08-29-2017, 12:35 AM (This post was last modified: 08-29-2017 12:39 AM by Bigshot.)
While Karim and Sofía work away, it seems Isabela's interested in something, her eyes wide. She shifts, placing something into the goggles around her neck before tugging them into place on her face. The left lens has a green stone in front of it, situated in place by a small mechanism, and almost immediately upon getting it onto her face, she's tensing. There's a rather potent flinch and recoil, and she clamps her eyes shut, shoulders raising up to her jawline. Her hand seeks out and finds Shae's again, and this time when she grips at it, she's squeezing. As though she's terrified. Gradually, after a few seconds, she starts to relax, though the bunch to her muscles-- the almost defensive curl of her spine-- never really stops.
08-29-2017, 12:54 AM
Godfrey came out from below deck and found a place towards the center of the deck to keep watch. Needed to be ready in case that bloody monster came back.
08-29-2017, 09:15 AM
Karim was surprised by the inaccuracy of his initial assessment. It was almost as if the wrist had miraculously healed as he was setting it! He nodded to Sofia as she helped, hoping to convey thanks with the gesture.

"I have bound your wrist. It should heal in a few weeks, gods willing, if you keep it steady and do not injure it further. I can give you something for the pain if you require it."

He looked quizzically at the goggles.

"What is that? Is there something the matter?"

08-29-2017, 11:01 AM
"Goggles. It is nothing," Isabela insists, shaking her head ever-so-slightly. "Nothing to worry about. Thank you for your help, Karim. I appreciate it." She makes no mention on the pain meds, opting to not take them. She didn't want her brain fuzzy at all for all of this going on.
08-29-2017, 11:35 AM
Sofía kept on helping hold Isabela's arm still, so Karim could work. She seemed slightly unsettled - possibly from watching Karim set the wrist.

Meanwhile, Mac had started pacing. "Why're we still here, in a jungle fulla monsters? We got a ship now, right? Let's load 'er up and get outta here!"
08-29-2017, 02:51 PM
Karim finished his work and looked up.

"There was someone else who needed my skills, yes? Please bring me to this one."

08-29-2017, 03:19 PM
"Oh! Godfrey will show you to him - he is over there." He points towards him and runs off after Marilyn!

"E-Excuse me, Miss Marilyn - I was wondering if you might have a moment to speak?"
08-29-2017, 03:29 PM
Marilyn hadn't really gone anywhere, merely standing off to the side with a sour look on her face. Half of it was due to the fact that she knew she wanted to do something, but couldn't remember what it was. The other half... well, Marilyn was mad at a lot of things.

Iona approached her while she was scuffing at the deck with her shoe, frowning in thought. She glanced up at him, eyebrow cocked in confusion for a moment before her expression evened out. She scribbled something onto her board.

'I guess. What about?'
08-29-2017, 03:29 PM
Karim followed Godfrey to examine Bakker. How did he look? Was there an apparent cause of his injury?

08-29-2017, 05:09 PM
Bakker had a badly broken leg, and seemed to be in some kind of induced unconsciousness.

Sofía followed Karim over to Bakker, clearly intending to keep helping.
08-29-2017, 05:24 PM
Godfrey helped move stuff if that's what they were doing.
08-30-2017, 12:19 AM
Taking the goggles off of her forehead to rest around her neck, Isabela's gaze lingers on Sofía a moment, even darting over to Marilyn.
Though...they had other things to do, and so did she. She draws in a breath, then turns to look up at Shae for a moment before tugging at her arm with her hand.

"Come on, Güera. Take me back to your room so I can grab my tools and we will get this ship fixed up." Once they're a few steps away she lowers her voice, fighting not to glance back over her shoulder. "There is a lot that happened. I must tell you while we have a few moments."
08-31-2017, 05:57 AM
"Hmm hmm, a serious case. Thankfully the unconsciousness will help keep him still for the leg, so I shall do that first."

Karim got to setting the leg. He went a little into the trees to find some sturdier sticks to splint the leg with, as his splints would perhaps not be enough. Noticing that Sofia was assisting him again, he gave her some nonverbal direction with his hands, pointing to things he needed handed to him and such.

08-31-2017, 10:50 AM
She gave Isabela's hand a small squeeze every time she reached for it. She didn't realize Sofia had medical training either. Well... realized isn't the word. She wouldn't be able to understand even if she asked. She did notice Marilyn's reactions around her though, she didn't know what to make of it though.

Isabela was pretty strong getting her wrist set, but that sudden visceral reaction to looking through the goggles put Shae on edge. She gripped Isabela's hand and patted it with her other hand, while she was internally wondering what she saw. Something enough to terrify her it seems. Shae kept glancing to Sofia and Marilyn, making sure to keep an eye on them.

Then they were off. Isabela said take me back to Shae's room, but it was obvious Bela was leading them. She couldn't resist looking over her shoulder though as Bela talked to her, it was quick though and she nodded in understanding. "Okay."
08-31-2017, 12:28 PM
Listening in on the others caught Marta up to what happened pretty well, and as well as the movie star helped her with her wrist she'd feel much better if Karim took a proper look, plus she wanted to stick with him now that Daibhedh was alright again.

"Hey, um, Mister Karim, when you're done could you check my wrist? Whatever thing's been chasing people around cut my hand up pretty good."
08-31-2017, 03:01 PM
Karim treated Bakker's broken leg with Sofía's help! It wasn't very interesting, since Bakker remained unconscious throughout.
08-31-2017, 03:03 PM
After treating the leg, Karim took a look at Bakker's unconsciousness problem. He lifted the man's eyelids to see if the pupils would dilate in light, and tested various reactions - sticking his fingers with a sharp point, listening to his breath, and other such poking and prodding.

"I shall deal with whatever injuries you have after I have examined this man," Karim told Marta

09-02-2017, 03:11 PM
Bakker seemed mostly alright - something was interfering with his consciousness, but it didn't seem to be getting worse quickly. He'd need to check in on him again over time to make sure he was actually recovering, though.

Meanwhile, Godfrey began hoisting supplies up onto the captured ship by rope.
09-02-2017, 08:14 PM
Marilyn stormed away from Iona, looking rather upset. She stopped briefly to break her piece of chalk in half, throw half onto the ground, and crush it under her foot. After that, Marilyn stomped into the ship and made a beeline for her room, slamming the door behind her.
09-02-2017, 08:19 PM
Seeing Marilyn storm away, Sofía started to take steps to follow her. Turning back to Karim, she quickly apologized in Coronan, gesturing to try and convey understanding before rushing off back into the wreck.
09-03-2017, 04:35 PM
Karim sighed. Nothing more he could do for Bakker. He went to help Marta with her scrapes.

"Does anyone else require my assistance?"

09-03-2017, 05:46 PM
Colville wakes up from his Jungle Madness-exhaustion-caused nap below decks and, after drinking a bit of water, whiskey, and eating a bit of rations, he goes to help Godfrey haul cargo up to the airship.

While doing so, he strikes up conversation.

"So. This has gone all to Hell. Don't think I'm even gonna try to get a payday for this one... Probably gonna cut and run once we get into port. If'n I was you, I'd do the same. Half the folk 'round here still're judgin' ya for the whole, ya know, sword-murder thang. If they go to the law about me shootin' that snake Gallant, you might get roped inta the whole thing as well."
09-03-2017, 05:48 PM
"Hmph, if I am accused of a crime, I shall stand to answer for it," Godfrey told him as he worked.
09-04-2017, 11:58 AM
Mac, with nothing better to do, joined Colville and Godfrey in moving supplies up onto the captured ship. Soon Sofía was helping too - considering how emaciated she looked, she was surprisingly competent at helping pull the crates around.

Between the four of them, they were making significant headway in emptying everything out of the wreck and hauling it up to the captured pirate ship. At the rate they were going, they'd have moved everything out of the wreck within the hour. If they got more help, they'd be ready to abandon it and go even sooner.

Of course, if some of the group wanted to go back to the temple, they'd probably need to get their stuff onto the skiff, as it was the only other functional ship.
09-04-2017, 12:00 PM
"Hm, Colville? Mind coming with me to collect the other crates out in the jungle?" Godfrey asked.
09-04-2017, 12:03 PM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2017 01:24 PM by Galloglasses.)
Daibhedh, quietly, picked up his nearly forgotten gun, got his gear and boarded the skiff, keeping quite a bit far away from the others on it while he could, ignoring how drenched he was, irritably checking his pocketwatch, which was now cracked and stopped in the confusion.

He kept affixing the time anyway.

09-04-2017, 06:01 PM
Marilyn came out of her room eventually. Her eyes and cheeks were red, and she looked more disheveled than she had earlier. Somehow. She had her suitcase, packed full with all of her shit. Finally time to get out of here. Marilyn brought her suitcase up to the captured airship and then sought out Sofía to help her haul up any crates that were remaining.
09-05-2017, 04:15 PM
"Yeah, sure. I've got my six-guns loaded and ready for if we get attacked by that there albino man ape again."
09-05-2017, 04:32 PM
And so Godfrey and Colville would presumably fuck off to get those damn crates back finally!
09-06-2017, 08:46 AM
Godfrey and Colville left the camp, heading out to get the last couple of recoverable crates they had seen in the jungle prior. The continuous rainfall seemed to have driven the dangerous wildlife to shelter, and the two of them did not encounter any further jaguars or bizarre monsters on the brief trek. Soon they were returning with the two crates of Godfrey's recovered artifacts and the additional supplies.

At last, everything was loaded onto the captured pirate ship - even the gatling gun was decoupled and transferred aboard. The four captive pirates were still tied up, locked away in one of the cabins. The maimed monster had yet to return, if it even could now it had been repeatedly crippled. The rain was still falling, though evening light was starting to filter through the clouds from the west.
09-06-2017, 12:02 PM
Karim finished up helping Marta and loaded his medical supplies back on the skiff. He then went to look for Isabela - after all, she also wanted to go to the temple, and their new crewmates (and the murderer - he couldn't forget that) didn't seem to want to go with them. So he looked for her, mostly to figure out what to do.

09-06-2017, 04:34 PM
Marilyn remained up on the deck of their new ship, though she wasn't inside, choosing to lean against the railing. She wanted to see who was going back to the temple.
09-07-2017, 01:10 PM
Lilah was up on the deck too, gazing distractedly out over the edge. When she noticed Marilyn waiting she shrugged, a little helplessly. "I... oh, gosh, I never thought I'd want to go back to that dreadful place, but here we are. What do you make of all this?"
09-07-2017, 01:19 PM
"Wait, why are people going BACK there?" Godfrey asked. "What reason could anybody possibly have for wanting to return to that accursed bloody temple?"

He seemed bewildered.
09-07-2017, 01:30 PM
Marta, her hand now properly treated, tried to finally bury Gallant's body. With only one injured hand to do it with, it's a fairly pathetic sight, but at least she had a small spade attachment that she quickly screws onto her bum arm and is making at least some progress.
09-07-2017, 01:55 PM
Marilyn glanced wearily over at Lilah, letting out a silent sigh before grabbing her blackboard.

'I think those new people are going to get themselves killed.' / 'Shae too, from the looks of it.' / 'I'm glad that we're gonna be leaving this damn place soon.' / 'That temple is nothing but trouble and I'm glad we're leaving it behind.'
09-07-2017, 02:13 PM
Lilah stayed quiet while Marilyn wrote. When it was done she gritted her teeth. "Can we talk? In private, just for a moment?"
09-07-2017, 02:34 PM
Marilyn frowned, glancing back over the edge of the ship before her expression tightened. She looked... exhausted.

'Yeah, sure.'