Thick as Thieves
03-28-2017, 12:00 PM
RE: Thick as Thieves
Sayaid'e turned her attention from Jana and Huxley. "Well, it's very nice to meet both of you! But I think this is our stop. And I left my bag in my room. I assume you don't need to wait for a stranger, so be seeing you!" She waved to the two as she turned and walked off briskly to retrieve her packs.

dC Wrote:donut is A FILTHY TRAITOR unreliable
03-28-2017, 12:06 PM
It seemed like they'd stopped. Corey missed the smog. And now people were shouting? Wow, this was cool. Corey let out something that sounded both like a contemplated creak and somebody rubbing two rocks together. Though they weren't the most perceptive, Corey could tell that those polearms hid something unpleasant. They stuffed a rocky hand into one of their pockets and pulled out a box of matches. Huh, that wasn't money.

"Nm?" Corey looked over at the clothes from before. Not the weird shaped one, but the one that had asked a question earlier. Now it was asking another. Attachments? Corey didn't think they had any of those. Aside from an attachment to fire, they guessed. But they were never really attached to it, not unless they poured the liquid onto themself and then ignited it...

"What are you... doing, Clothes?" Corey asked, moving their gaze from the matches to Tanis.
03-28-2017, 12:09 PM
Angela scowls as the guardsmen all come into view. She's always hated these kinds of men, power-hungry idiots happy to sell their soul to a corrupt government for a quick buck. She quickly gets distracted from this thought by the discussion of meat going on behind her, and then even more quickly distracted by whatever Tanis is doing.

"Of course not!" she bark-laughs. "Did you have anything interesting in mind for our departure?" she says with a matching toothy grin.

Tumblr/Steam
03-28-2017, 12:15 PM
"Half a plan already," said Tanis softly, checking a couple of somethings under his parka and fixing his scarf to cover his mouth again. "I'm gonna cause a ruckus, and we can use that to get out of here. Sound like fun to you?"
03-28-2017, 12:17 PM (This post was last modified: 03-28-2017 12:18 PM by pail.)
Crys sighed and reached into her jacket. She casually pulled a cylindrical object from her jacket and gave an underhand toss underneath the seven people and waited until the smoke grenade activated. She's going to run through the smoke and run to the crates.
03-28-2017, 12:18 PM
"..." Corey blinked, one eye at a time, and then jostled their gas can. The gas inside sloshed around. "...I like ruckus." They replied, looking down at their matches. "You like fire?"
03-28-2017, 12:19 PM
Tanis' eyes went wide like a kid who'd just been offered candy. "I love you."

He was about to spring into action, but then a smoke grenade went off!
03-28-2017, 12:20 PM
The smoke grenade goes off and a bunch of people started shouting. Crys ran through the smoke and passed by the coughing captain who was haunched over and didn't see her.

She ran straight the butt of a gunspear that thwacked her in the face and knocked her to the ground. The guards encircled her and pointed one of their spears at her throat, the eyes of their masks glowed green and the others walked forward, spears lowered, one went to aid their captain.

03-28-2017, 12:22 PM
Tanis rolled his eyes. What a useless distraction.

He looked over the side. "There goes another one! Look!" he shouted to the guards, jogging along the side of the boat and pointing down at the water.
03-28-2017, 12:23 PM (This post was last modified: 03-28-2017 12:24 PM by icanhasdonut.)
Hearing the noises, Sayaid'e heads to get her packs FASTER. She doesn't want to get involved in whatever's happening and likely thrown in jail again. Well, as fast as she can without getting winded.

03-28-2017, 12:23 PM
Corey wasn't sure what love had to do with fire, but the clothes seemed to like them well enough. They turned at the sight of smoke, though there didn't appear to be any fire causing it. What was the point? Then the clothes shouted, running to the side of the ship. Corey followed, peering off the edge as the clothes pointed. What was down there?
03-28-2017, 12:25 PM
One of the guards turned to Tanis, grumbled something tinny, and shot the gunspear at a part of the boat just below where Tanis was pointing as a warning. The others took up formation along the boat's gangplank. The smoke began to clear, the coughing captain came to his sense.

"Alright thats it, you're all going into the cellars now!" He pulled a whistle from under his breastplate and blew it. Several other squads of guards in nearby docking platforms began converging on theirs.

03-28-2017, 12:26 PM
Diane looked at the chaos. Well. That solved the issue of having to pay to get off the ship. Yeah, she rushed off to get her bag.

Except, once that was done, her new plan was not to immediately vacate the area, but to rush over to the captain's room.

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
03-28-2017, 12:30 PM
Diane barges passed panicing crew members who didn't stop her on her way to the captain's quarters.

The captain was busy on deck pushing his way passed the passengers to yell at the guardsmen, Diane made it tot he captain's chambers unmolested.

It was a complete sty.

03-28-2017, 12:33 PM (This post was last modified: 03-28-2017 12:34 PM by Coldblooded.)
Angela stands up to her full height now, taller even than Corey, and quickly keeps pace with him behind Tanis. As she runs, she takes a few potshots with her revolvers as the guardsman who was shooting at Tanis. She doesn't know what's going on here, but it sure seems like more fun than going into the cellars.

Tumblr/Steam
03-28-2017, 12:35 PM
"You're just gonna let them get away?" said Tanis incredulously to the guards, leaning against the edge of the boat. He sighed. "You guys are--"

Oh hey, someone else started the gunfight. Away with pretenses, then.

Tanis dived for cover round the corner of the wheelhouse and pulled his crossbow out of his bag. "Hey, rocky, it's fire time!"
03-28-2017, 12:35 PM
Gross. Well, she was gonna need money and things. She kicked the door shut behind her and began looking around for something of value. After surface searches, she casually smashed apart the desk and other things too, such as tearing up the mattress and breaking anything of thickness apart. Just in case the captain was fond of secret compartments for his favourite items.

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
03-28-2017, 12:36 PM
Sayaid'e grabbed her packs and started heading back to the deck to see what all the commotion was about.

She really hoped she wasn't going to get arrested again.

03-28-2017, 12:37 PM (This post was last modified: 03-28-2017 12:40 PM by Bigshot.)
That's a lot of dumb stuff happening at once. Losers.
Onyx is going to use the guard's shadows to spring herself across the gangplank, or at least attempt to. Since they're rushing on, she probably won't make it too far with their assistance, so she's just going to wade her way down the old-fashioned way. Much more slowly entirely with her own momentum. Springing from shadow-to-shadow is faster, but not always possible.

She lingers by Crys for a moment before springing her way over to whatever building is nearest and using any obstacles and furniture to help. She's just going to hide behind the wall and watch.
03-28-2017, 12:40 PM (This post was last modified: 03-28-2017 12:43 PM by SupahKiven.)
Corey still wasn't quite sure what they were supposed to be looking at. Their eyes concentrated on the water below, staring intently. What was the pile of clothes pointing at? Their attention was diverted away by the sound of a gunshot, and Corey turned to find the tall thing firing at the guards. Corey blinked. Oh, things were happening?

The clothes shouted at Corey and that was all they needed. Corey calmly removed the gas can from its harness and popped the top. Then, they pulled back and started splashing gas on the deck. Once about a third of the can was out, Corey strapped the can back in, lit a match, and dropped it onto the gasoline. This was gonna be fun.
03-28-2017, 12:49 PM (This post was last modified: 03-28-2017 12:54 PM by Vancho1.)
Jana smiled.

"Nice to meet you as well, Sayaid'e."

Seeing the guards, and noticing the chaos, Jana ducked into the smoke and reached out for it. She drew and swirled it around her using her magical energies, and considered escape routes. Not the water - that looked too filthy. Maybe if she could sneak by those soldiers swarming the gangplank...

Just in case, she drew her knives from her dress, ready to stab anyone who came too close trying to hurt her, and tried to find a clear place to jump to. She'd give herself a little boost of speed with more heka - she didn't like calling on the Duat so much in quick succession (it could attract the attention of local gods or spirits, after all, as well as any mages nearby), but escaping was more important.

The one, the only, Vancho!
03-28-2017, 12:59 PM
Huxley gives himself illusory copies and tries to see if there is a conceivable escape route for his nerd legs.
03-28-2017, 01:00 PM
Tanis looked around as everyone started escaping in disorganized fashion. This was exciting! It also meant he had to move up his escape plans.

With his crossbow in one hand, he ducked into the wheelhouse and headed up to the top deck, looking for a vantage point. While he ran, he took out a short length from his filament line and his grapnel bolt.
03-28-2017, 01:03 PM
"Jana," the Huxleys said. "Perhaps we can cooperate so our spells do not clash with each other."
03-28-2017, 01:10 PM
"Sure, though I don't know if I have the time to figure out your spells, nor you my heka. Nevertheless, I'll try to make sure it doesn't interfere."

She looked into the Duat with the help of her necklace, and identified the lines and bindings he used to make his mirror images. She then simply made sure that her fog would treat the illusory Huxleys as solid objects, and didn't touch anything else.

03-28-2017, 01:16 PM
"Alright I guess I'm going to try not to make much of a mess. You don't know what will happen with spells even if they are phantoms."

Huxley makes some phantom pigeons and make them specifically go for the guard's eyes. He focuses less on realism and more the fake sensation of pain.
03-28-2017, 01:26 PM
Angela follows Tanis up to the upper deck, ducking behind cover wherever possible.

"So uh, what's the endgame for this plan anyway? I wasn't planning on having a heroic last stand this early into my trip here."

Tumblr/Steam
03-28-2017, 01:37 PM
Corey, noting that their 'companions' (if they could even be called that) were retreating somewhere else. They seemed to be where the fun was, so Corey followed. This could be fun. Upon arriving, they looked around the top deck. Interesting place...
03-28-2017, 02:01 PM
Katja could swear she was only distracted by how grubby the dock looked for a few minutes, and then suddenly someone asked her for money, and she was about to explain that although she didn't have any she was happy to work for it, and then suddenly there was explosions and gasoline and crossbows and oh shit Katja you are a terrible guard!

"Stay calm, Princess," she whispered to the cage under her coat. The big rocky fellow was prepping to blow something up, the guy wearing an entire laundry hamper seemed to be about to shoot anyone, that nice blue-haired girl had set off a smoke bomb and the fox and the woman with the beautiful jewelry were... doing magic? "We're going to ask those nice magicians for help. Look, everything will be fine! We already found some wizards, we're making great progress!"

Katja pulled her halberd off her back and ran over to Huxley and Jana. "Where are you going? Doesn't matter! Is it not here, and can I come with you? I can watch your backs."

From inside her cloak came a piercing avian shriek that Katja would have sworn was laughter if the Princess weren't above such petty things.
03-28-2017, 04:08 PM
"Oh thank you," Huxley replied. It was nice when strangers were, well, nice.
03-29-2017, 04:42 AM
Jana looked over the bundled-up girl and sighed.

"I suppose you can, just don't get in the way."

03-29-2017, 07:21 AM
Diane started tearing through the captain's quarters. She found nothing again and again until, tearing apart one particularly thick cushion, a few diamonds fell out and spilled onto the floor, most were rolling towards holes in the ground and slipping away out of reach.

---

Meanwhile up on deck, all hell had broken lose. Angela's potshots completely missed but successfully changed the guard's attentions. The guard who had fired the warning shot began firing into the crowd at the railings, forcing people to start running and screaming. The guard who had pinned Crys looked away and moved on to support the others, not seeing Crys as a threat.

Two of the guards advanced up the gangplank under the cover of fire from their compatriots. They began systematically shooting anyone who had a visible weapon on them when the Huxley illusions sprang itno being drawing away much of their focused fire, the illusionary pigeon flock stabbed at the guards' masks but failed to inflict pain through the armour and helmets but succeeded in distracting most of the fire.

And then half the fucking ship suddenly erupted into fire. The wheel house went up, and stumbling passengers and crew members went flailing in pain and terror. The fire spread quickly down the deck as a far portion of the deck already had been soaked in gasoline and other flammable liquids and was virtually the only thing made of wood on the ship.

What had become a bad situation had quickly escalated into a death trap.

03-29-2017, 07:23 AM (This post was last modified: 03-29-2017 07:26 AM by Protoman.)
The Lone Donut Man pats the flames out to no avail!! Jesus Christ, hell was really springing loose up here.

Bakar sighed and placed his hands at his sides. Beneath his coat rested two .45 calibur long-barreled double action revolvers. (Whatever the fuck that meant, proto ain't a gun nerd and only barely gets this shit.)

A single tear rolled down his cheek. He did not want to commit violence, but he would if he had to.

He charges the front of the boat, seeking salvation. If he's met with resistance, he'll try to dodge any bullets that come his way, but is prepared to shoot a guard in the leg if he's got to.
03-29-2017, 07:26 AM
Jana reacted to the fire by looking into the Duat again. She cannibalized the enchantment from her dress and her manipulations of the fog to extend a sphere of protection around her and whoever was close-by. It was exhausting to command the energies continuously, but she struggled to keep the sphere up.

"Huxley! Girl! I can't hold this very long! All my attention is on this protection spell, find us a way out of here!"

03-29-2017, 07:28 AM
Crys let out a sigh of relief and stood up and ran to the building Onyx told her to meet her at. The shadowed side of it of course.
03-29-2017, 07:29 AM
OKAY! That's a lot of fire, holy hell. Onyx is just gonna...make her way over to that building she pointed out to Crys before. The sooner she can get away from that hot, hot mess, the better. So long as Crys made it out okay, things weren't too bad! Once behind the building she'd pointed out though, she's going to make herself tangible again. Pop outta the shadows and take a second to rest, hiding behind the wall and waitin'.
03-29-2017, 07:29 AM
Crys manages to make it to the end of the dock. Just in time for another group of three guards to see her running from a flaming ship.

"STOP!" one orders in a tinny, metallic voice, as he and his fellows level their spears at her.

03-29-2017, 07:31 AM
This was insane! Tanis was normally more methodical than this, it was like he'd wandered into an action movie. What a way to kickstart his new life! Not to mention the fires were banishing his chill.

Once he got up the stairs to the top of the burning wheelhouse, he shot his grapnel bolt at the deck of the next ship over, targeting anything suitable from a railing to a mounted tether. This created a downwards sloping filament line. He quickly tied up the filament line at this end and swapped his crossbow back into his bag in exchange for one of his climbing clips. Looping the strap around his waist, he jumped off the wheelhouse and ziplined off of the burning ship! He'd be relying on the massive distraction, his bulletproof vest and the clunky reactions of the guards to protect him, but once he was onto the next ship, escape looked like a lot more ready option.
03-29-2017, 07:33 AM
Jana held out a hand.

"I can walk but I need someone to lead me, all my focus is on this heka."

03-29-2017, 07:37 AM
Diane scrabbled down for the diamonds, keeping the ruined pillow in hand reasoning that the fabric would give a wider surface area to pin the diamonds in place, so more precise action could be used to take them. She also stamped down, flicking off a sandal, on any diamond that bounced far away from the others.

Diamonds should be more enough to survive on initially. So that had a lot of focus occupied on stretching and reacting quickly. She was only mildly distracted by the sudden increase in screaming above.

Bakar took a swan dive off of the front of the front of the boat and landed successfully on the decking of the docks below without breaking anything. A guard stopped as it was running to back up its fellows. it stabbed at him with a spear.

Tanis made it to the top of the wheel house and used hsi grapple to zipline to the next ship, a sail powered craft and landed onto the other ship and its angry crewmates of humans who shouted at him and started calling for guards.

Jana struggled to her feet and began walking.

Burning skeletal guards with horrific faces of melted plastic and screaming voices boxes stumbled towards her, flailing with their gunspears.

Diane failed to get most of the diamonds, but managed to snag three small ones.

03-29-2017, 07:41 AM (This post was last modified: 03-29-2017 07:42 AM by Kadis.)
"It's Katja, Katja Becke- not the time!" Katja said, dropping her second half finished-salute of the hour. "Okay, ways out, um..." There was the docks which were swarming with guards, the guy in the parka had apparently decided to vacate and left a line behind, and the very tip of the ship had yet to be engulfed in flames. She didn't want to look around too much more than that, in case her new favourite person couldn't maintain the sphere for very long.

Speaking of which, angry guards were lunging at them and being on fire had not made them any less intimidating. "Hold tight, Princess! Don't worry!" Katja readied her halberd to protect Jana from any incoming attack. "Docks or wheelhouse? Neither's nice, but they both look better than here!"
03-29-2017, 07:42 AM (This post was last modified: 03-29-2017 07:42 AM by Demonsul.)
"Just passing through!" said Tanis, cutting his grapnel bolt free and tying off the filament cable on whatever the grapnel had snagged on. That way, more people could come along and bother these whiny bastards.

That done, he dashed for the other side of the ship to vault it, drop down on the pier that side, and escape into the city. With all the guards running for the paddleboat, he had a decent chance to just escape into the crowd.
03-29-2017, 07:42 AM
Crys took a look of her surroundings! Specifically looking if there was any cover.
03-29-2017, 07:42 AM
"Hehe." Corey chuckled, feeling the flames lick at them. This was always nice. A pleasant heat, something fun to start off an adventure in a new place. This was fun. And then the clothes shot off, drawing Corey's attention as they zipped away.

"Bye Clothes." Corey called out in their creaky voice, waving at Tanis. Hopefully they'd find the clothes again. The clothes were nice. Guess it was time to go. Corey turned away, walking back down through the inferno that was the wheelhouse and returning to deck. Seemed like everything down here was on fire too. That was fun. Corey spent a few moments just standing there, looking around at the chaos happening. Interesting.
03-29-2017, 07:43 AM
Sayaid'e, without hesitation, bolts for the nearest edge of the ship. She can see Jana and Huxley but decides not to call them as they probably wouldn't do as well in the water. She's sure they'll be fine. Hoisting herself up, she looks for a safe spot of water to dive into, and then jumps straight in.

03-29-2017, 07:44 AM
Huxley goes after Jana and others. He puts on illusory copies of them going off the other direction away from them.
03-29-2017, 07:51 AM
"Docks, docks! The wheelhouse looks like more fire."

Jana couldn't do anything regarding the guards, so she held her hands up, maintained the spell, and hoped that the two with her would clear a path.

03-29-2017, 07:53 AM
Right. Time to find a window she could either get out or forcibly make big enough to get out of, assuming there's something is within a safe fall or running leap for her. She likes jumping.