Thick as Thieves
04-06-2017, 12:16 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2017 09:29 AM by Palamedes.)
RE: Thick as Thieves
JaV-3R7 stares at the two new interlopers. "Explain yourselves," he demands, to both them and the guards. Neither party was on fire, so if they are fighting there must be some other law that one of them is breaking.
04-07-2017, 01:57 PM
"I agree, Huxley!" Sayaid'e follows close behind Jana in case she needs to grab Jana, and starts following the others.

dC Wrote:donut is A FILTHY TRAITOR unreliable
04-08-2017, 10:34 AM
Angela makes the leap from the pole to the ship and latches onto an anchor hanging off the side, her weight slowly drags it down to the water in which she cannot swim.

Katja, Huxley, Sayaid'e help Jana push their way through the panicking crowd towards the warehouse, the guards completely lose them as they try to regain control, leaving Bakar behind. Bakar got swept away by the crowd.

Crys stumbled over to Onyx and dropped the EMP grenade, which went on to unleash a pulse so powerful it could be felt physically and disconcerted. The guard spasmed and crushed down on Onyx's throat before letting it go, and dropping Onyx to the ground.

Diane, dropping her blanket that was partially on fire from putting out the flames on her legs and Casey face off against the guards who level their spearguns at them, ignoring JaV-3R7, the Guard captain seems visibly distraught of what is happening as JaV-3R7 yells at the two newcomers. Tanis' bolt strikes thru, smashing through a cart's wheel and axel and causes the barrels stacked up onto it cascade down onto the docks, smashing against objects, one crashed into the guard captain at high speed and broke against his leg as the others tripped the remaining two guards. The gunpowder went everywhere, including onto the still-on-fire blanket.

The resulting explosion ripped apart the dock, rocked the firey paddel boat sideways with no remaining decking on the far side stopping ti capsizing as the rotten, rusted paddle wheels fell apart under the strain as the ship tipped over. Angela looked over her shoulder as a looming shadow overcame her and she saw the firey ship she just escaped from threatening to crash into the side of the ship she was currently climbing up.

JaV-3R7, Diane and Casey were sent flying and injured into the murky waters of the bay.

04-08-2017, 11:14 AM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2017 01:13 PM by Palamedes.)
JaV-3R7 doesn't know how to handle water. Sending a crime bot into these waves is a most serious crime. He flails about, eventually using his arms to catch onto some ground or debris to pull himself to shore.

He would find who was responsible for this.
04-08-2017, 01:06 PM
When they get out of sight of the crowd, Jana stops to catch her breath. She looks at the wound more carefully - how bad is it?

The one, the only, Vancho!
04-08-2017, 01:27 PM
Tanis had to put a hand over his mouth to stop himself from laughing so hard everyone would look at him. This place was incredible!

Looking around, he saw from his vantage point the tail end of Katja, Huxley, Sayaid'e and Jana making their way into a warehouse. They'd been fun to watch - though he'd really liked the stone guy he'd probably just accidentally drowned, too. Oh well. Following those four seemed like it'd be a good time.

He climbed down from his vantage point and made to sneak into the warehouse after them.
04-08-2017, 01:28 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2017 01:29 PM by Coldblooded.)
Angela quietly curses under her breath and quickly starts climbing up the chain to escape the flaming ship and the foul water below.

Tumblr/Steam
04-08-2017, 01:58 PM
After making their way out of the crowd, Sayaid'e leans over, breathing heavily and exhausted. She coughs a bit as she attempts to catch her breath.

04-08-2017, 01:59 PM
Awh, the cool water felt good on her burns. Shame it was the cool embrace of death, and hence should be vehemently rebuked.

She'd need to use her arms mostly to keep herself afloat, until she could find some debris to hold onto or the docks again. Ideally the rock dude was okay, but she had herself to deal with.

Also, the stench of this water did not please her. Having herself given a filthy bath, and her clothing and items drenched, was not a good start to this town. The sooner she survived this, and got herself cleaned and patched up, the better.

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
04-08-2017, 06:44 PM
"Hmm, healing magic is unfortunately is out of my expertise," Huxley mutters as he look somewhat desperately for some apothecary or clinic. "How are you three holding up?"
04-09-2017, 02:49 AM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2017 02:54 AM by Galloglasses.)
Jana's wound looked burned, and not very deep, most of the bleeding seemed to come from the initial impact. It still hurt quite a bit as the others looked over it. There did not seem to be a clinic nearby, but a street beyond the panicking crowd had a shopfront with a green cross on the sign, a pharmacy perhaps? Tanis, meanwhile climbed down the way he had came and managed to quietly slip his way into the warehouse in the chaos.

Angela just barely makes it up the side of the wooden ship and sees the ship's crew run for the far side of the ship an d jumping off. As she rolled over onto the deck, the flaming ship crashed into its side, splintering wood and sending flaming pieces everywhere. The sails and decking began catching fire but at least Angela was now more or less safe.

JaV-3R7 and Diane managed to break surface and grab hold of some passing driftwood, now safe from the chaos happening on the shore, Casey was nowhere to be seen, however.

04-09-2017, 02:53 AM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2017 02:53 AM by Bigshot.)
Coughing and sputtering, Onyx stumbles her way to her feet. She raggedly sucks in air, throat screaming in pain-- but they were alive! Shit, that's great! Definitely something to celebrate...once they had a moment to do that.

She's quick to grab Crys's arm, already dragging her towards the crowd and that distant building she'd been at moments ago. The one she really should've stayed at. Shadow people ain't good for combat.
"T-time ta get away from this as quick as possible." Her voice comes out even raspier than usual, and each syllable causes her some pain. She keeps her voice quiet. "Ya didn't have to use your EMP. How the heck are we gonna get another one? Or-- or get ya the stuff to make one?"
04-09-2017, 03:03 AM
"I'm...I'm fine. Just...a bit winded." Sayaid'e continues to catch her breath but looks up and gives Huxley a thumbs up.

04-09-2017, 03:25 AM
"I'm fine," Katja said - or rather gasped, since it turned out that the Princess had not devoted as much of her royal training time to cardio as one might hope. "Just a sec."

She turned around and held up her cloak to provide entirely inedequate cover, then took a gilt birdcage out from underneath. Inside was a large, disgruntled parrot. "Yep!" she said, stashing the parrot and beaming at the others. "Fine. Everything's fine. Let's get going to... where are we going? I was just kind of following you to the general vicinity of anywhere-but-there."
04-09-2017, 03:48 AM
Right okay, fuck this ship. And that ship too. Angela books it for the shore and looks for an abandoned looking building to duck into.

Tumblr/Steam
04-09-2017, 04:16 AM
Crys follows Onyx, looking at her wound and over to Onyx's neck. "Don't worry about that EMP. You are worth a lot more than a grenade. I got desprate and wanted to get out of here. It will take a couple jobs and some money but I might be able to make another...." She looked away from Onyx. "Sorry I fucked everything up."
04-09-2017, 04:22 AM
Tanis around behind the scattered crates of the warehouse, quietly getting closer to the four others. They seemed to be regrouping, which was fair after that hilarious disaster. Also one of them had apparently smuggled in a parrot - maybe it was valuable? Eh, whatever. Something to worry about another time, maybe.

He stepped out from behind the crates next to them, grinning. His hood was down and his scarf was down around his neck, revealing his hair and beard, since all the fire and explosions had warmed up the area a bit.

"Wow, you guys!" he said to the four of them in the warehouse. "What a show! You certainly know how to kick off life in a new city in style!"
04-09-2017, 06:18 AM
Javert's wheel goes full speed behind him, hopefully propelling him towards land. All the while, he'd be looking for suspicious, potential barrel sympathizing characters fleeing the scene.
04-09-2017, 06:18 AM
Jana finishes her examination of the wound, saying,

"Thank the gods, it didn't hit anything important. Though the burn is pretty bad. Let's get to that apothecary."

She peeks out of the warehouse and sees if there is a back way out that avoids the crowd (and thus also the guards)

04-09-2017, 06:43 AM
"Brr," Huxley shivered as there was the sudden presence of Tanis near their vicinity. "Right, I don't think rude guards and massive amounts of property damage is really 'stylish,' but each to his own I suppose."

He gives Saiyad'e a thumbs up (a local thing?) before following Jana. "We'll go to the apothecary first and maybe figure out our darkest desires, or 'personal obligations' as we call it."

"Remember you have no obligation to stick with me or others. Follow your own desires and choose your own choices."
04-09-2017, 09:15 AM
Ow. Corey had dealt with explosions before, but very few of them had been as point blank as that one. Even fewer had been enough to throw them backwards. Corey hit the surface of the water with a huge splash and, like the oversized rock they were, disappeared beneath the surface.

As they sunk, Corey realized something. They were not very good at swimming. Rocks typically weren't, even if they had arms and legs. Corey held their breath as long as long as they could and began trudging towards land as quickly as possible.
04-09-2017, 10:29 AM
So, off went that dumb looking robot then. No loss there.

She looked around the rest of the water, to see if a rock face popped up.

Hmm, seems it wasn't. Well, didn't have to pay him then. She began doggy paddling to shore and non-horrible land. Again, this had been a bad day.

She really felt like blaming those crew members of hers. She didn't know exactly what had happened, but a strong hunch told her some of them had either indirectly or directly fucked her. In the meantime, Diane's plan was get onto land, dry out, then limp to some kind of apothecary or hospice.

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
04-09-2017, 02:56 PM
JaV-3RT sees the furry paddling near him.

"What was that. Why were you attacking those guards?"
04-10-2017, 01:13 AM
Diane side-eyed the robot. "Because they were attacking everyone, and I'd prefer to not be stabbed to death by trigger-happy incompetents. Also, all I did was be standing on the guy who landed on one. I didn't attack anybody." She said curtly, focusing on paddling.

04-10-2017, 02:55 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2017 02:56 AM by Demonsul.)
"Why so dour? I think you lot make a great team," said Tanis, grinning a pointy-toothed grin at Huxley. "Besides, you wander off on your own into the city after that display and you'll probably land yourselves in a whole heap of trouble. None of you look particularly good at keeping a low profile, after all!"

He leaned against a crate. "Actually, maybe I could help with that, and then you could help me in return. I mean, I'm pretty damn good at being sneaky, it used to be part of my job. I could show you a few things to keep you out of trouble, at least until you want to start the trouble. Sound good to you?"
04-10-2017, 05:05 AM
Jana looks over to Tanis and recognizes the bundle of clothes from before.

"If you want to join us, perhaps insults are not the best way to endear yourself."

Jana would've cursed him then and there, but she was feeling low on energy after the flight and subsequently getting shot, so she restrained herself. Again.

"In any case, I cannot stop you from following us, but I would suggest that you mind your tongue."

04-10-2017, 05:08 AM
"I think I can manage without your help, whoever you are." Sayaid'e frowns at Tanis. "And so can everyone else here." She turns to follow Jana and Huxley.

04-10-2017, 05:14 AM
"Insults? Hey, I'm just stating the facts here," said Tanis with a shrug and a smile. "You have way too many bangles to blend into a crowd. Maybe you can mask yourself with magic, maybe not, I dunno."

He grinned again, standing up straight. "Still, I offered to help, and I'm no liar! If you aren't interested, you can take your chances, but I do have a feeling you'd be better off with me than without me."
04-10-2017, 05:33 AM
Jana's eyes flash and she walks over to Tanis. She walks around him, taking his full measure, and then sits cross-legged on the crate.

"Well, show your worth then. What skills have ye, raggedy-man?"

04-10-2017, 05:48 AM
Katja wasn't sure how things had turned tetchy so quickly. She had mostly forgotten her very brief exchange with Tanis, but now she was glad to see he'd made it. All those clothes looked pretty flammable - she'd have thought the poor little guy wouldn't even have a chance. Okay Katja, don't get overly enthusiastic, just play it cool... "Well, I say we get all the help we can! Since it kind of seems like explosions are a basic form of greeting around here, we'll probably need it. We could be a real band! Heroic adventurers, fighting monsters-!"

"Moron," croaked a hoarse voice from inside her cloak.

"Or... uh... doing whatever it is you're all planning on doing? I'm really pretty easygoing." Katja turned red and feigned a sudden intense interest in how sharp her halberd was.
04-10-2017, 05:48 AM
"Well, for a start, I actually zipped away on a wire and got out of that whole mess with barely anyone spotting me," said Tanis, looking smug. "After I'd escaped, I dropped a palette full of crates on some robots and set off a cart full of explosive barrels - have you ever heard of someone who could blow things up without being noticed? Best fun I've had in ages!" He pulled off a glove and started ticking things off on his fingers. "I got stealth, I got athletics, I got good looks, I got putting a bolt through someone's eye at two hundred meters - which has a wide variety of applications!"

He leaned back against a different crate than the one Jana had climbed on, waving a hand to encompass the group. "What about you? You all seem a bit more miserable up close than I was hoping. After a thrill-ride like that and a successful getaway against the odds, I thought you'd be dancing around, buying each other beers, laughing!"
04-10-2017, 06:03 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2017 06:04 AM by Vancho1.)
Jana gets off the crate and moves in close to Tanis. She puts a finger on his chin and runs it down his neck, then pulls away a bit.

"Well, well, if you're a man of skill as you claim to be, you can be useful to me."

She turns to head for the apothecary.

"It's your choice, come along if you like; just try to keep up, I'm sure an athletic man like you will have no trouble with that."

When she's facing away from everyone, Jana's face twists in pain. She walks faster for the pharmacy, pulling off some jewelry to barter for burn salve. She makes sure to take a route that circumvents the crowd.

04-10-2017, 06:18 AM
"Hey, not so fast," said Tanis, stepping round in front of Jana. "You think that's all you need to do to hide? Take off a couple bangles? You see, this is what I was talking about!" He mimed a facepalm, then grinned. "The fight is over. The guardbots are gonna be spreading out all over the place to try and track down everyone who got away. You're gonna stick out like a sore thumb! So unless you got magic to wish that problem away, stick all your gold in your pockets, tie back your hair if you can and pretend you were caught in the crossfire, because if they recognize you you'll have to do a whole 'nother getaway!"

He grinned. "Besides, as clearly useful as I am to you, you haven't yet given me any hints as to how you're all useful to me. The fire-explosion thing you did was a big point in your favor, I won't lie, but if I'm gonna have to babysit you like this it had better be worth it!"
04-10-2017, 06:43 AM
"I don't have the energy for demonstrations or arguments," Jana says with a sigh. "But if you think the guards will take personnel off controlling a rioting crowd to catch a few stragglers, then fine. Don't look."

She ducks behind a tall crate and changes into her other outfit, a darker and more form-fitting set of clothes. She doesn't want to draw on her heka reserves when they are already so low, so she does the best she can with her makeup kit to change the way she looks. Which mostly involves taking off makeup, to be honest. She winces when she sees the burn but otherwise changes as quickly as she can. She also straps her knives on in their usual concealed places. Jana steps out looking... different.

"If you're done critiquing my appearance, let's go. Every moment we waste is one second closer to this warehouse getting searched."

04-10-2017, 07:10 AM
Katja’s eyes went shiny when she heard Tanis’s list of talents and turned as big as saucers at Jana’s sudden behind-crate makeover. Jana had turned into a completely different person in thirty seconds flat, and Katja still had to figure out how to brush her hair without giving the Princess split ends. How lucky was she to meet such talented nice people right away? It must be destiny! Now she just had to not gush and dammit it was happening anyways.

“That’s amazing! You’re amazing! I mean, I’ve met some pretty great heroes already. Pretty much everyone at my old job was a hero. Except for Sir Ruprecht. I mean, he says he survived a trial unlike any other, but if you ask me it’s not that hard to get eaten by a giant frog. Just because I’ve never met another man who was eaten by a frog doesn’t make it a feat unheard of. But you’re all totally different. You’re like royal assassins or spies or redeemed outlaws or something!”

“Not that outlaws can be redeemed,” Katja corrected hastily as a stream of muttered curses came out of her cloak. “I didn’t say that. Unless they made an honest mistake of the kind anyone could make when things are badly labelled and left around for anyone to stumble on. Anyways. Get out here?”
04-10-2017, 07:40 AM
Tanis nodded approvingly at Jana while she left, before turning his attention to Katja. He giggled when she almost-guessed his background. "Now, while Bangles is off getting herself some help, let me see..." He looked Katja up and down. "It seems like plenty of people in this city go for the whole dark ominous cloak vibe, so as long as you keep a low profile and don't cause a scene you could probably walk right through a guard checkpoint if you had to - if not for that massive halberd you're carrying. But I could take that over a rooftop if we do need to pass a checkpoint, and you could just pretend to be a birdseller or something! The rest of the time, stick it upside down and pretend its a walking staff - nobody'll be looking at your feet if we're moving through a crowd anyway."
04-10-2017, 07:45 AM
"Right, right," Huxley said as he dodged behind a corner and shifted into a human with a beard and a hood up. "Let's get out." And he makes out like a fox.
04-10-2017, 08:14 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2017 08:32 AM by icanhasdonut.)
Sayaid'e shrugged, and while Tanis had been talking quickly changed into some more nondescript clothes instead of her traditional clothing, and looks at Tanis. "This good enough for you?"

04-10-2017, 08:25 AM
Huxley looks back and blinks. "Looks good enough to me."
04-10-2017, 09:58 AM
You appeared to be ready for combat -" JaV-3R7 pauses. If anything, she had attacked the fire on her legs, and then simply stood ready for more fighting. Possibly against the treacherous barrels. "Regardless, it is their right and duty to crush resistance. Are they not the law in this situation?"
04-10-2017, 10:03 AM
"They would have attempted to crush me with or without resistance. I had no quarrel with them, nor had caused any of the fire or chaos that concerned them. Is it not the right of oneself to defend against wrongful and unlawful persecution?" She replied, amidst splashes of water. May as well see if she could convince this robot to leave her alone rather than deal with another scuffle when they reached land.

04-10-2017, 10:41 AM
"Unlawful? In this city?" JaV-3R7 brewed on this. Which is to say you could hear actual steam from within his chassis. "Sensible." Assuming his wheel gave him good propulsion, he'd offer her a ride.
04-10-2017, 10:54 AM
Diane gave the bot another suspicious look, then joined forces in order to get them both out of the waters safely. Steam engines in water, plus possibly busted up robot seemed like it could be in trouble.

04-11-2017, 07:02 AM
Katja managed to choke back another round of gushing, although when Huxley pulled up his illusion it was a close thing. She pulled up her cloak and flipped her halberd. "Like this? Do I look normal?"

For a heartbeat she wondered why exactly all of her fantastic new allies were so damn good at disguising their appearances, then scolded herself for being paranoid. After all, she was being deceitful. They were probably all just the victims of terrible and unlikely misunderstandings! Anxiety banished, she trotted after Jana and Huxley.
04-12-2017, 02:35 PM
The lone donut man makes his way through the crowd, crying a lonely tear over the need for violence.

He then starts looking around for honest employment! He'd need a way to earn money while he saved for his donut shop.
04-14-2017, 04:25 AM
Angela successfully escapes the chaos of the burning docks and managed to make her way to a run down shack on the edge fo the docks after dodging through the crowd. She was on her own, but she was safe.

Corey, meanwhile, trudged his way back to shore, slowly moving amidst the silty and filth strewn floor of the bay, eventually making it to surface before JaV-3R7 or Diane, having not nearly been blown as far away as they had, turns out there were some advantages of being a huge rock man. Grabbing a hold of an anchor chain he pulled himself from the water at a clear section away from guards.

JaV-3R7 saw this as he pushed himself onwards to shore with his wheel, the rockman did not appear to be fraternizing beside any barrels, however. He quickly made his way back to a more intact dock and could climb his way back up to shore. Diane hanging on to him as they reached the shore.

Onyx and Crys managed to make it back to the shadowy alleys between several workhouses away from the crowd, safe from the guards and the stampede, they could melt away into the city if they so chose.

Jana, now disguised and sticking out far less than before, made her way to the pharmacy across the street that was quickly emptying as people had cleared out, bells were ringing elsewhere in the city, Huxley, Katja, Sayaid'e and Tanis, once changed to be more discrete, followed suit.

Bakar, managing to extricate himself from the stampeding crowd, stoically walked back to the sight of the carnage, no one was there except for broken robot guards and dead bodies.

He cried a manly tear.

[I guess this is the point where I move all of you guys to PMs, unless some of you want to stay in the thread.]