Signups Crusade
12-14-2017, 12:54 PM
RE: Crusade
Conrad glanced over at Marcellus and grimaced. This was going to draw a crowd at this rate.

12-14-2017, 12:58 PM
Marcellus noticed Conrad's grimace and his smirk grew just a little. "Aw, come on, I'm just here to deliver some orders. Humor me a little before that."
12-14-2017, 12:59 PM (This post was last modified: 12-14-2017 01:02 PM by Cidellus.)
"I HAD NO WISH TO HARM YOUR MEN, BUT YOU FORCED MY HAND. IF YOU WISH TO HAVE A DUEL, THEN A DUEL WE SHALL HAVE!" roared Ingvar, smiling as he prepared his hammer. "LET US FIGHT, SOUTHERN LORD! YOUR METTLE SHALL BE TESTED! SOLARION SHALL DECIDE THE VICTOR!"

Provided the fight proceeded, Ingvar would fight with his full ferocity. He had no wish to kill this Lord or his men, but if this Southern zealot wished for a fight with arms, then Ingvar wouldn't disappoint him.
12-14-2017, 01:03 PM (This post was last modified: 12-14-2017 01:05 PM by Galloglasses.)
"ENOUGH!" Conrad bellowed. "For the sake of Solarion, stop this nonsense at once. You there, northerner, leave! Do it now, and leave this matter to me, do not defy me on this! D'Orion, I beg of you as a brother lord, calm! I'll offer to tend to your man's wounds, but let this go, I will not have this crusade draw filial blood on its first conquest. We'll discuss this matter of the infidel priests with the Crusade's priestly class, they can properly judge the matter of what to do with the star worshipper priests better than either of us. Come, we have another matter to discuss."

12-14-2017, 01:08 PM
"Agreed." Marcellus cut in, stepping forward to make himself more visible to the parties in question. "Orders from the current head of this Crusade stuff, we're to meet in the courtyard in front of the palace in order to discuss official directions." He gestured over his shoulder with his thumb in the direction that he had come from.
12-14-2017, 01:21 PM
"Were these your lands, Southern King, I would respect your will and laws," said Ingvar, shaking his head. "But we are far from wherever you both call home, and I owe no deference to either of you. We are Warriors of Solarion, fighting for a common cause in the destruction of the Dark God's Empire. And I will not suffer such unequal treatment at your hands, nor will I ignore injustice in my presence."

He glanced at Marcellus.

"There is a simple matter that must be resolved first," he said, quickly shifting his glance to keep his eyes on the situation. "An injustice that cannot be ignored. This is the compromise I will give. These priests you accuse deserve a trial. I suggest a jury of the crusade's various leaders, chaired by the Prince-Bishop. Collectively, I will accept you all deciding their fate, rather than them suffering summary execution at your hands. Alternatively, we may decide their fate in a trial of arms between us. It is your choice, D'Orion."
12-14-2017, 01:23 PM
"You do realise, northerner, that even if we were to agree to this trial, the outcome of which would decide the fates of all the infidel priests we meet hence forth who are not actively sorcerers. Would you be willing to accept such a judgement, however it fared?"

12-14-2017, 01:25 PM
"Such a fate would only befall these priests if they were indeed found guilty of witchcraft," Ingvar said. "And thus, such a punishment would only apply to priests in the future who engage in witchcraft. As part of the trial, an investigation would take place to determine the nature of their crimes. Judgement cannot be reached without information."
12-14-2017, 01:26 PM
"Fine, but who would advocate for the infidels? You?"

12-14-2017, 01:28 PM
Aldretch kept his sword held in an aggressive stance, pointed at Ingvar. He flicked his eyes towards Marcellus, but otherwise did not stop focusing on the danger at hand. "Northerner, I would have perhaps been willing to have a priest come and educate you on the fact that all stellar priests learn magic and put your fears to rest, before you displayed such provocative obstinacy. It is too late to walk back what you-"

At that point, there came a shout from the soldiers. Turning, everyone saw that the priests in question were all collapsing to the ground, clutching at their throats and chests, where daggers now protruded. All except one - a middle-aged woman with a terrified expression, who had clearly managed to slip the bindings on her wrists and pulled her hands up defensively. The air around them rippled - as did the air around the dagger, suspended in midair, that had clearly been flying towards her chest. Away from the scene dashed a figure in nondescript clothes, ducking into an alleyway.
12-14-2017, 01:30 PM
"ASSASSIN!" Conrad drew his sword and reached for his shield "TO ARMS! BIND THAT MAN!" He ordered the two mercs to keep hold of Jocab.

12-14-2017, 01:36 PM
Looking over, Conrad saw that Jocab had slipped away in the distraction!
12-14-2017, 01:36 PM
"EXCUSE ME!" yelled Ingvar, rushing after the assassin at full speed.

HAMMER. HAMMER. HAMMER.
12-14-2017, 01:41 PM
Welp. Marcellus knew that this wasn't his battle. He, instead of scrambling after this assassin he doubted they could catch, made his way over to the dagger that had been, evidently, stopped by this Star Priestess' magic. Marcellus collected it, looked it over, then glanced at the priestess.

"Not your day, is it?"
12-14-2017, 02:04 PM
Ingvar chased after the assassin! Skidding around the corner, he heard a window smash around another corner, and charged towards the sound. Spotting a broken window on a nearby storefront, he leaped through it, charging through the store and out the backdoor. Looking around, he was surrounded by a maze of streets - he had no idea which direction the assassin had gone.

Meanwhile, Marcellus plucked the dagger out of midair. The priestess looked at him with a terrified expression and said a couple of words of incomprehensible Dytrian. There was pleading in her eyes.
12-14-2017, 02:09 PM
Ingvar picked a random direction!
12-14-2017, 02:28 PM
Ingvar sprinted off in a random direction. And then another, and then another, heading off into the twisting streets of the city. Before long, he was certain that he'd lost the assassin.

Meanwhile, d'Orion set to work. "It seems someone decided to do my work for me," he said with a concerned frown. "Men, establish a perimeter. We don't want anyone else sneaking up and surprising us. And hang that witch already, we've wasted enough time."

He turned to Conrad. "That was proof enough for you that she's a witch, yes? Or are you truly going to try and bring this farce before the Prince-Bishop?"
12-14-2017, 02:29 PM
Ingvar went to return to D'Orion and Conrad.
12-15-2017, 07:24 AM (This post was last modified: 12-15-2017 07:35 AM by Galloglasses.)
Conrad looked at the witch thoughtfully.

"Stay your hand just a moment longer, lord d'Orion." he said. "I sincerely doubt a random crusader would be both skilled enough and flighty enough to murder almost all the priests with thrown daggers in quick succession and then run, and I doubt their own congregations wanted their priesthood dead." he points an accusing finger at the witch. "She knows something. Something her superiors or other people in the Dytrian empire do not want the crusaders to know. It would behoove us to find out what our enemies are afraid of us knowing. Someone get a translator, this might lead us to an advantage. Marcellus, was it? Are the other leaders of the crusade going to be gathered back at the palace? Then we'll take her there then, she wont be able to escape and what we can get out of her will be known to us all."

12-15-2017, 09:06 AM
Ingvar made his way back to the group in time to catch the tail end of what Conrad was saying.

"You make a good point, King Conrad," said d'Orion, nodding. "I had not considered that she might be more important than a local priestess. But I don't think a group questioning is likely to be fruitful. A crowd of lords staring the witch down, none of whom are skilled interrogators, all trying to ask her questions at once... My men will take her into custody until we can hand her over to the Church's inquisitors for a proper investigation."
12-15-2017, 09:12 AM (This post was last modified: 12-15-2017 09:20 AM by Galloglasses.)
"Expediency is required here, lord d'Orion, we don't have time for the inquisiton's usual rigour." Conrad said, his face expressionless. "The council of lords is for all of us gathered to agree on what needs to be known first, then and there, so we don't waste time having the woman swearing all sorts of nonsense just to be free of torture. I learned a trick or two in my younger days of how to weasle words out of people, you sometimes get more with a carrot than a stick, if she thinks there is some hope for her, she is more likely to be forthcoming." Conrad saying the last part low enough for the witch not to overhear.

12-15-2017, 09:14 AM (This post was last modified: 12-15-2017 09:15 AM by Acolyte Doctor.)
(12-14-2017 11:53 AM)Protoman Wrote:  Since the document was sparse on details, Monica sighed heartily. "Whoever thought it wise to put the priestly class in charge of military duties was a damned fool. Marcellus! Let us gather the troops! That is to say, all the other troops. Mostly their commanders. Getting everyone in here would be a fool's errand. And um, sir... What was your name?" She tilts her head to Archeron. "Ah, whatever it was, you gather your most important men up here! We will split these missions as evenly as we can."
Archeron looked a little confused. He was pretty sure he introduced himself earlier but on the other hand, Monica seemed to be bit of an airhead.

Anyway, he gathered his most important men. Which means handpicking the men he vaguely tolerates and trusts the most in the most irritatingly slow way. The Eiru militia has no organization therefore no formal hierarchy. Oops.

"The name's Archeron mac Lyssa of Eiru. What be the missions?"
12-15-2017, 12:44 PM
Seemed as if Conrad had things covered.

Ingvar stayed put to listen in, though.
12-15-2017, 01:17 PM
"You ask for expediency, and then suggest bringing her before all of the leaders?" said d'Orion, clearly nonplussed. "Tell me, Conrad, have you ever seen a council of lords bicker? Nothing will get done. If you want to interrogate her yourself, by all means I will relinquish her into your custody, but do not expect a council to achieve anything at any reasonable pace."

Meanwhile, in the square outside the palace, locals were starting to filter out to see the armies still mustered in the square. It seemed the large, disciplined military presence in the middle of town was deterring looters from coming nearby, and since these particular crusaders weren't marauding or looting either, the citizens of Thelmar wanted to get a look at them.
12-16-2017, 06:59 AM
"I ask that you keep her alive long enough for me to get my friend here," Ingvar asked Conrad. "He's a missionary, and a polyglot. He should be able to interrogate her well, or aid in our own interrogations."
12-16-2017, 12:01 PM
Conrad looked the northerner up and down but, judging it would resovle the situation nicely and get him far away from lord d'Orion, he grunted in approval.

"Very well, fetch him. Men, take the witch into custody, make sure her hands are bound and her mouth closed for now. Lord d'Orion." Conrad approach lord Albretch. "The man I was bringing you seems to have escaped, after claiming to have been your agent, I fear he may have been an agent of the Dytrians afterall. Here."

Conrad offered lord Albretch the scroll.

"Which means the Dytrians were planning something and use your name as cover for it. Unless I am missing something."

12-16-2017, 12:09 PM
Tomis notices the curious locals and decides to give them a show. After all, he must prove his soldiers' superiority to these heathens!

"Soldiers! Assemble and present arms!"

The one, the only, Vancho!
12-16-2017, 12:11 PM
Ingvar went to get GODRIC!
12-17-2017, 01:37 PM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2017 01:38 PM by Demonsul.)
Reading the scroll immediately, d'Orion frowned. "I never even met this spy personally," he said. "He was recommended to me by a contact. I will no longer trust that contact. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Now," he looked over at Marcellus, "you were saying the lords are being assembled?"

Meanwhile, Ingvar went to go find Godric. It seemed he had been pulled away for some kind of official clerical business and wasn't available, though he'd be free in a little while. Probably after the lords had met.
12-17-2017, 01:40 PM
Well.

Ingvar would visit the Crusade quartermaster to acquire a new shirt! Or perhaps even armor if they had some spare sets and were willing to give them up.
12-17-2017, 01:41 PM
Tomis removes his helm, allowing his hair to flow free with a flick of his head. He walks up to Lystra and Artur and asks,

"How are the troops? Did we take any losses in the fighting?"

12-17-2017, 02:39 PM
Ri hadn't had time for all this bickering between nobility, as he had been leading his paladins in destroying heretical materials (the influence of the Stars was DANGEROUS to leave lying about!) and extracting confessions and conversions to the worship of Solarion from the locals! He hoped that the taint upon their souls was not too strong to render them beyond salvation, and that all could know the loving warmth of the Sun!
12-17-2017, 03:29 PM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2017 03:54 PM by Cidellus.)
Ingvar went to the town armory to see if they had some armor in his size!

Ingvar could not find an armory.

Ingvar went to go loot that gigantic guy he and Ri had fought!
12-17-2017, 03:38 PM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2017 03:40 PM by Vancho1.)
Tomis looks over the armor that he got from the palace and takes a set for himself, Heron, Lystra, and Artur. He then goes over to Archeron and Monica.

"I found this armor in a vault under the palace. It looks exceptionally well-made. I suggest that you take a set for yourself if you think you need it - it would not do for our commanders to fall in battle. Also, I sent my right-hand man to secure the gold from the city bank-vault. I plan to pay my troops to keep them from looting, and if you wish for a share you are welcome to it."

12-17-2017, 03:42 PM
It takes Archeron like five seconds to realize Tomis was here.

"Oh. Could use some armor, yeah," he ponderously says. "Should I come along?"
12-17-2017, 03:48 PM
"Come along? No, I think Heron has it covered, I don't expect the bank to be much trouble."

12-18-2017, 06:08 AM
After the witch is secured, Conrad goes to the town centre where the lords of the crusade were meeting.

12-18-2017, 10:07 AM
Marcellus glanced over at d'Orion, putting the dagger into one of his pockets. "They sure are." He replied. "We're to gather in the courtyard in front of that... palace. Over that way." He gestured over his shoulder in the direction he had come from.
12-19-2017, 05:46 PM
Monika taps her foot, wondering when the hell people will get here. "Oh! I'd certainly accept a fair share of armor, friend. Not for myself, of course, but my officers could use it. Marcellus would ADORE such a piece."
12-20-2017, 08:30 AM
Captain Ri roamed the city, destroying heretical texts and symbols wherever he found them. His paladins joined him in zealously purging the city of such heathen items, so that it's citizens might have a chance to repent and find virtue away from their corruptive influences. Many painted icons and small statues were burnt or broken, and the citizens left behind seemed bewildered at this shining host charging through their public spaces and libraries, tearing down all the religious symbols they could find as they went. It was difficult to extract confessions, as the paladins did not speak the local language - such a thing would have to be left up to the missionaries unless Captain Ri wanted to recruit a band of interpreters.

Ingvar meanwhile went back to the gate, and found that the enemy champion's armour was in more or less perfect condition aside from the large dent and puncture in the chestplate. It looked like a very well made suit of full plate armour, and aside from that one piece of damage, it had barely sustained more than scratches. It looked like it'd just about fit him - the man had been of similar build to him, if very slightly taller. Attached to the waist was a belt of pouches, each containing a different colour of glass marbles.

After a brief headcount, Tomis learned that losses in the fighting had been very light. The dismounted knights had been leading the assault on the walls, where their heavy armour and combat skill had significantly outclassed the unprepared militia defenders. A similar story was heard everywhere except the gate assault, where initial Crusader losses had been heavy before the tide turned. Heron soon returned from the bank - he reported that they'd seized the equivalent of 6,000 gold crowns, enough money to both pay the wages of all of his mercenaries for the next month and acquire plentiful supplies for his army without having to loot the city further, with a few hundred spare. The bankers had promised cold and bloody revenge when Heron had refused their offer of a loan and emptied the vaults with armed men instead, but what could they possibly do?

Conrad's men secured the witch, binding and gagging her and taking her with them to find some manacles for a more durable solution, since she'd already escaped one set of bindings. Meanwhile, Conrad himself headed back to the palace square. He was informed, as he was doing so, that the lawless adventurers, freemen and minor nobles who he had accepted under his banner to fight for him without pay were engaging in rampant looting and pillaging in the city - a disproportionate amount of the fires and screaming appeared to be their fault.

When d'Orion heard Marcellus, he looked over his shoulder towards the entrance. He seemed to consider refusing, before nodding. "Very well. I will attend this meeting." He mounted his horse and rode for the square, leaving Marcellus to gather the other lords.

Eventually, all the commanders made it back to the square, presumably ready to share their troop distributions so missions could be assigned. Monica's mercenary band was there, numbering about 4,000 men. Tomis' mixed knightly and mercenary detachment also numbered about 4,000 men, though most of them were mercenaries surrounding the knightly core. Archeron commanded a force of about 7,000 Eiru militiamen, most of whom at least knew how to use a bow as well as being lightly armoured warriors. Conrad's large mixed force consisted of about 9,000 troops altogether, the largest single contingent, and was easily the most intimidating as a standalone army. Captain Ri qualified for being there, leading his 100 paladins - though he may well have decided not to show up, as he might not consider himself their leader.

Aside from that, Aldretch d'Orion had arrived and reported the status of his 3,000 heavily armoured men at arms. There was also a duke's son by the name of Marco Delimo, leading a mixed force of 6,000 men on loan from his father, and eager to take the fight straight to the enemy without hesitation. Lastly, a knight by the name of Alexander of Wespyn was there to report the death of his liege at the gatehouse, and explain that there were about 8,000 primarily poorly-equipped levies now in need of a new leader.
12-20-2017, 09:54 AM
Ingvar would take the armor to Godric to make sure it wasn’t tainted with heresy!
12-20-2017, 10:33 AM
After all that hubub, a familiar face ran back into the square, in search of a very similar face. And her armor too, she supposed, which she would start hoisting over her shoulder as soon as she found him. “Durry- Durry. You are not going to be-liiiiiieve what just happened, this crusading thing is even more exciting than I thought! Oh- but! Not in the square. Whatsay we head back to the ship, grab our things?”
12-20-2017, 11:36 AM
Tomis listens to Heron's report and nods, saying

"We'll have to be cautious, those heathen bankers might send assassins after us. But I would rather have their ire than burn this city to pay and supply our troops. After all, if the locals dislike us it will be a lot worse than a few assassins. A revolt could cut off our link to Temrian, which is far more important."

He leans in to whisper in Heron's ear,

"You'll be watchful in our tent, right Heron?"

12-20-2017, 11:57 AM
Ingvar decided to go around policing the looters until Godric was done.

Somebody had to stop the wild southerners from looting, raping, and pillaging the entire damn town.
12-21-2017, 06:40 AM (This post was last modified: 12-21-2017 07:06 AM by Galloglasses.)
Conrad gave orders to have the independents of his host rounded up and prevented from looting and pillaging. He'd have to sort that mess out later.

12-21-2017, 10:26 AM
Back in the square, Marcellus had nothing to do. His task for the moment was done, which meant he defaulted into his typical job of standing next to Monika. He picked at his ear a bit and yawned before crossing his arms. Aight.
12-21-2017, 11:49 AM
CAPTAIN RI OF THE SUN could not trust the local populace enough to try and recruit interpreters (unless any paladins happened to speak the tongue) but he DOES keep his eye peeled for any potential hidden sects to Solarion. Even in the darkness and heresy of the stars the light of THE SUN might have shone through!

He hands a couple of oranges to these nice fellows who came with Prince Conrad. They were ALSO helping search the city for heretical items, tearing things apart and carrying them off to (surely) be destroyed. How great to see such zeal in forces other than the church's own!
12-21-2017, 01:13 PM
Monica smiles a bright smile. "Right! Let's get these orders out, shall we? Let's see... Well, I've already chosen mine. I'll be heading west to secure the coast. From there, I'll knock over the Tilted Isle and prove myself the hero I am. Someone can join me and split off to find something near Sedrington. I've got my preferences, but I'll let you all sort that." Her eyes dart between Fidelia and Tomis, a smile across her face making her meaning clear.

"The rest I'll let you handle. We need someone to follow the river - an easy enough job, I suppose, if you're in for easy jobs - and to check to see what paths the enemy is taking. Highways or something - more details in the notes, of course! One to go east, to the river march to see if there's a pass THERE, and... that's it. Then there's the smaller missions."

And she lists those out! Except for the one she's nabbed for herself.
12-21-2017, 01:17 PM
Fidelia was not even LOOKING at Monica, hoping not to give her ideas. Ideas about being around her. Or speaking to her. Very wrapped up in this conversation with her brother, sorry, definitely didn’t hear.
12-21-2017, 04:00 PM
Ri marched back into the square, leading his paladins in a song about Solarion's Mercy Fulfilling The Thirsts of Those in Need!

Out of the eighty-one holy hymns he had memorized, this one was one of his particular favorites.