Mafia General Chat
04-02-2013, 01:10 PM (This post was last modified: 06-17-2015 10:37 AM by amosmyn.)
Mafia General Chat
IRC Link

This thread is the home for all meta-discussion of mafia related games, including setup design and polling for interest in a game you are considering running.

Do not discuss games still in progress! This is a mod-able offense!

For more casual conversations, check out the General Chat subforum or post in the Campfire thread.
04-11-2013, 05:47 AM
RE: Mafia Discussion
So hey who wants to see another MAGICHUNT

Either that or I think I could probably "run" a forum version of Fiasco, but I would need very committed players

Doctor Who: The Forgotten Doctor
Escape the Day
04-11-2013, 05:52 AM
Ooh I am a very committed player (usually) and I'd be in for that.

Also I could go for seeing a new Magichunt though with my track record for hunts I should probably avoid it.
04-11-2013, 06:08 AM
(04-11-2013 05:47 AM)Scoffles Wrote:  So hey who wants to see another MAGICHUNT

I do!
04-11-2013, 11:31 AM
(04-11-2013 06:08 AM)TehPilot Wrote:  

I do!

Me too!
04-11-2013, 04:50 PM
(04-11-2013 11:31 AM)A Killer Cuppa Tea Wrote:  
(04-11-2013 06:08 AM)TehPilot Wrote:  

I do!

Me too!

I want to nest agreement until cpi turns that ability off. <:D
04-11-2013, 06:24 PM
The default quote nesting limit is 5. #themoreyouknow
04-11-2013, 09:35 PM
I would love another magic hunt.

[Image: sonicsig2.jpg]
Steam
04-12-2013, 01:15 AM
I don't know about some of you guys, but I am just gonna watch the mafia games and maybe make my guesses at who's scum and not scum. I have gotten too rusty at them.
04-12-2013, 06:18 AM
That is pretty much the reason I'm here.

Watching you play mafia.
04-13-2013, 12:58 PM
Hmm.

What if I just took a whole load of roles from a whole load of games,

even ones that don't really work well together,

and threw them into one big pile,

and called that Yewfia.
04-13-2013, 01:29 PM
That sounds completely horrible Yew.
04-13-2013, 01:39 PM
(04-13-2013 12:58 PM)Yewchung Wrote:  Hmm.

and called that Yewfia.

This could be interesting depending on the roles you use.
04-14-2013, 07:06 AM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2013 07:07 AM by Mirdini.)
You generally want to put at least twice as much effort into the games you run as you want out of players you have signing up for it. Low-effort games leave players unmotivated and unmotivated players are not going to post much, if at all. Unless you want to clog up the forum with dying mafias I'd highly recommend sticking to SS13 maf and making that be the best mafia you can make it.
04-14-2013, 10:34 AM
(04-13-2013 12:58 PM)Yewchung Wrote:  Hmm.

and called that Yewfia.

I think that's already being done on Eagle Time right now?
04-14-2013, 01:23 PM
(04-14-2013 10:34 AM)Palamedes Wrote:  I think that's already being done on Eagle Time right now?

But every killing role works pretty well together honestly.
04-14-2013, 08:48 PM
(04-14-2013 07:06 AM)Mirdini Wrote:  You generally want to put at least twice as much effort into the games you run as you want out of players you have signing up for it. Low-effort games leave players unmotivated and unmotivated players are not going to post much, if at all. Unless you want to clog up the forum with dying mafias I'd highly recommend sticking to SS13 maf and making that be the best mafia you can make it.

Speaking of making games, is there a good guide kicking around for this kind of thing? I'm not looking to run one anytime soon, but I do kind of want to experiment with this kind of thing. Being able to create and balance a setup sounds like a good skill to have even just as a player.
04-15-2013, 04:04 AM
Don't know that's there's an official guide for set up

But I would recommend picking the brains of

Professor Lizzard
Paranoia
Mirdini
Schazer

The first two have a really good sense of balancing closed setups and the latter two have a ton of experience in running interesting setups that may or may not have ended up balanced

Doctor Who: The Forgotten Doctor
Escape the Day
04-15-2013, 04:34 AM
I tend to give good role advice and have good ideas. I just.... am horribly lazy and have terrible things happen to me whenever I attempt to do something (or at least very demotivating things that agitated my depression/apathy... so.. I have never actually ran anything to completion. Yep.). Derp. Still, it's not that hard to have a mechanical sense of how things work if you've played a few games.
04-15-2013, 02:09 PM
(04-14-2013 08:48 PM)Boogeyman Wrote:  Speaking of making games, is there a good guide kicking around for this kind of thing? I'm not looking to run one anytime soon, but I do kind of want to experiment with this kind of thing. Being able to create and balance a setup sounds like a good skill to have even just as a player.

Well the primary cardinal rule is always always always run your setup by another mod, preferably an experienced one. Otherwise you (and I know I have) get too attached to the mechanics you've built and you just overlook the five different ways players can use them to break the game in half.

As for guidethings, there's two pretty solid links I'd suggest as recommended reading. Their word isn't exactly law and you don't have to follow it to the letter, but it's good reading and will give you some idea of the challenges involved in setup design and modding and what to look out for:

http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?titl...e_for_2010

While 3 years old this is still a pretty damn solid guide.

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showpost....stcount=12
http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showpost....stcount=15

These two articles are also very good and insightful!

Hope that helped/was interestin' for ya.
04-15-2013, 03:39 PM
http://chocolatepi.net/articles/mafia/
04-15-2013, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the links and advice everyone! You guys are the best. When I joined that first game back on MSPA I had no idea I was gonna get drawn in this deep. I'm gonna read these articles and start building some basic setups to get a feel for the whole process. I'm sure I'll be asking some more questions before too long.
04-15-2013, 11:20 PM
(04-15-2013 06:07 PM)Boogeyman Wrote:  Thanks for the links and advice everyone! You guys are the best. When I joined that first game back on MSPA I had no idea I was gonna get drawn in this deep. I'm gonna read these articles and start building some basic setups to get a feel for the whole process. I'm sure I'll be asking some more questions before too long.

04-16-2013, 06:23 AM
Are there any guides on playing Mafia effectively?
04-16-2013, 07:08 AM
(04-16-2013 06:23 AM)Collen Wrote:  Are there any guides on playing Mafia effectively?

http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?titl...e_At_Mafia
04-17-2013, 01:20 AM (This post was last modified: 04-17-2013 01:21 AM by Solaris.)
And if anyone wants to know What Not To Do when running a game, ask me, because I Have Done it.

Oh have I ever done it.

No one man should have all that power
The clocks tickin, I just count the hours
04-17-2013, 03:26 AM
^He did.
04-17-2013, 09:57 PM
Done what?
04-18-2013, 12:42 PM
(04-17-2013 09:57 PM)Collen Wrote:  Done what?

That's the thing: You don't want to know! :D

See? That's why learning What Not To Do is so hard to learn!
04-25-2013, 07:36 AM
So, I'm working on a game setup. Based on Cpi's articles it has turned out to be a Hunt style game based around a gameplay mechanic for the dead players I came up with. I have less experience with hunts and no experience coming up with this style of game at all, so it still needs some work. However at this point I would love for someone else to take a look at what I have so far, so I can get some input on where to go next with it. It's a 16 player open setup. Anyone wanna volunteer to take a look? Later I will probably be making a thread for everyone to take a look and give their input since it's an open setup, but I think I need to work on it before that stage.
05-10-2013, 11:02 AM
I'm thinking of running a standard game with an open setup, with the flavor based on Warhammer 40K (Imperial Guards). The roles at the moment are the simple Vigilante, Cop, Doctor and Godfather with the non-standard Inventor role possibly also in the mix. The game is practically ready to go, just want to see if anyone would be interested in playing and if I should include the Inventor role.
05-11-2013, 10:06 AM
What keeps the cop from claiming day one and just having the doctor sit on 'em all game long
05-11-2013, 10:35 AM
I'm not really experienced in mafia, but I would assume it's because scum could pretend to be rolecops which would waste the doctor's power. And claiming on the first day seems suspicious regardless, so some people might lynch the rolecop. (Sorry if this was a rhetorical question)

[Image: tumblr_m89thxih7c1qesb9j.png][Image: tumblr_m89ti2qf1P1qesb9j.png][Image: tumblr_m89ti533mx1qesb9j.png][Image: tumblr_m89tieX3hv1qesb9j.png][Image: tumblr_m89tillJz41qesb9j.gif][Image: tumblr_m89tiqBWIY1qesb9j.gif][Image: tumblr_m3dyn8mGBA1qesb9j.gif]
05-11-2013, 09:07 PM
(05-11-2013 10:35 AM)calibornio Wrote:  I'm not really experienced in mafia, but I would assume it's because scum could pretend to be rolecops which would waste the doctor's power. And claiming on the first day seems suspicious regardless, so some people might lynch the rolecop. (Sorry if this was a rhetorical question)

What keeps the cop from counterclaiming then?

At which point the scum will most certainly die. Of course it's possible the cop might die, but is it worth it to lose a scum member so early?
05-12-2013, 04:40 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2013 04:41 AM by Mirdini.)
A one-for-one trade even if it's for the cop is generally never in the scum's favor. That's sadly my point. Not to mention there's a very real possibility the scum claiming cop is lynched before the cop they're counter-claiming (or the cop that's counter-claiming them) at which point you've just thrown a way a scum team member for literally 0 gain.

Also he didn't say rolecop, he said 'cop' which implies straight alignment cop. Which ends up with some pretty degenerate play in what is often colloquially referred to as 'follow the cop' for the rest of the game.
05-18-2013, 10:04 AM
alright, i can remove the cop, and in turn the godfather, and leave the flavour as it is
06-29-2013, 06:36 AM
Anyone remember the outcome of the Potato Cult Mafia? If not, do you know where I could find out? Thanks and sorry if this is in the wrong place, I'm rather disoriented at the moment.

On another note, thank you for the guides in this thread, I haven't played mafia in forever and I really want to get back into it.
06-29-2013, 06:49 AM
(06-29-2013 06:36 AM)Fwee Wrote:  Anyone remember the outcome of the Potato Cult Mafia? If not, do you know where I could find out? Thanks and sorry if this is in the wrong place, I'm rather disoriented at the moment.

On another note, thank you for the guides in this thread, I haven't played mafia in forever and I really want to get back into it.

Scum win

http://mspaforums.com/showthread.php?493...vor-Win%29
06-29-2013, 06:51 AM (This post was last modified: 06-29-2013 06:52 AM by Mirdini.)
Right over here, amigo.

And good to have you here, hope you get stuck in soon! I believe TehPilot's latest game is looking for replacements before it's really started anyway!

E: curse you acio
06-29-2013, 07:25 AM
What those two guys said.

And yes, I need as many replacements as I can get for Radio Tower Mafia - right now confirms are sitting at 14/21 and I can't even start with inactives until I get 18 or so confirms.

and now, hunger does what sorrow could never do
website | @tehpilot
06-29-2013, 12:08 PM
Damn, we were ALL vanillas? That's hilarious. At least I called some of the scum, and I know more for the next game.
I'm up to being a replacement in your game if you need it, Pilot. It still hasn't officially started, so it wouldn't be too disorienting. Plus, it seems a lot quicker than waiting for a new game to start up. ;D
07-07-2013, 05:12 AM

I do.
D:

"We love eloquence for its own sake, and not for any truth which it may utter, or any heroism it may inspire."
-Henry David Thoreau
07-11-2013, 02:00 PM
Homestuck Mafia
I really hope it's okay to post this here! The game is more interesting the more people are involved, and I figure if anywhere would have a bunch of interested strangers it would probably be here!
[Image: tumblr_inline_mpi8pvpnlh1qz4rgp.png]
(alternate title is "i wanted to mod a game but not enough people signed up so i slapped some horns on it")

Quote:Mafia (Russian: Ма́фия, also known as Werewolf) is a party game created in the USSR by Dimitry Davidoff in 1986, modelling a conflict between an informed minority (the mafia) and anuninformed majority (the innocent). At the start of the game each player is secretly assigned a role affiliated either with one of these teams. Gameplay comprises two alternating phases. During the night-phase the mafia may covertly "murder" an innocent. During the day-phase, all of the surviving players debate the identities of the mafia and vote to eliminate a suspect. Play continues until all of the mafia have been eliminated, or until the mafia outnumbers the innocent.

Swap out "the mafia" with "relatively level-headed internet children" "the innocent" with "gross galactic humanoid insects that murder their own kind a lot" and turn the party into a forum full of sad lonesome nerds and that pretty much sums it up. Thanks, Wikipedia!

HOW TO PLAY

LIST OF THINGS THAT ARE ILLEGAL

LIST OF ROLES

THIS POST ON TUMBLR IF YOU'D LIKE TO BE A PAL AND SPREAD THE WORD

HOW TO JOIN:

You can either do what the tumblr people are doing and send an ask to the main blog, or send me a private message on here instead. I would be more than happy to answer any questions here or in private so please don't be shy!

I hope to start the game Tuesday, July 16th at midnight EST with the forum up a couple days before, but I need at least sixteen confirmed players (i currently have eleven) in order to do that! More players makes for a longer, more complicated, and generally radder game, so please spread the word!

Both before and after the game, feel free to ask me anything you aren't sure about! Let's fucking do this.
07-11-2013, 03:19 PM
RE: Homestuck Mafia
Be nice to play with some people who don't know everything about me. :P In.

[Image: g4osirL.jpg]
07-11-2013, 03:19 PM
RE: Homestuck Mafia
((I am aware I need to send you a PM, but I figure also responding publicly would help people muddle through how many spots are left.))

[Image: g4osirL.jpg]
07-11-2013, 06:48 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2013 06:54 PM by Coldblooded.)
Dan, I think you should really go back over and look over the setup again, because there are a whole ton of balance issues that still need to fixed if you want the game to be even a little bit fair.

Basically, here's how you win as town:
-Feferi chooses not to feed her lusus from D1 on. Town no lynches everyday.
-The scumteam is absolutely screwed because there's no possible way for them to kill Gamzee or Eridan without getting massacred in return, and the lusus will have absolutely destroyed their entire scumteam by the time it reaches the purple bloods anyway.
-Town auto-wins without having to lynch anyone or even do anything at all.

I'm sorry, but I really think that this game needs a pretty major overhaul before you could consider it even remotely playable.

Here are a few suggestions that I would give:
  • Gamzee and Feferi's roles need to be changed completely, because why would you give the town multiple free scum kills for things that are completely out of their control/up to random chance?
  • I guess Eridan can stay, but only if he's the only townie with a killing role left. Maybe let him choose his own target on death rather than just killing a random scum instead though?
  • There needs to be some sort of deterrent against massclaiming built into the game, because right now town can win by just forcing everybody to role claim D1, and then lynching anyone who refuses or claims the same thing as someone else.
  • Why do Karkat and Rose not have the ability to choose their own targets? That's just taking good gameplay options away from the players for no reason. Especially in Rose's case, since she needs to find out who the cop/doctor/triple scum homocide roles are ASAP, and leaving that completely up to random chance is just poor game design.
  • Having two town info roles seems kinda OP unless you're expecting there to be a whole lot more than 16 players. Maybe consider nerfing one of them.
  • What's even the point of having an open setup if you're just going to say "Oh by the way, there's a scum role that gets random abilities every day and I'm not going to tell you what any of them are?" Maybe you could just give her several one-shot items at the beginning of the game instead, and then let the scumteam decide when and where they want to use them.
  • Having a scum role around with the ability to indefinitely undo successful lynches is just terrible, no matter how far in advance you make them predict it. Town should never be punished for correctly lynching scum. Dave needs a complete rework.
  • In my experience, there's usually at least one inactive player at any given time, and it would really really suck to know who the final scum was and still end up losing just because one person on your team neglected to show up on the last day. Just something to keep in mind in regards to John's role.
  • Vriska should probably be changed too because I'm not really sure why any of the randomization roles even exist in the first place.
  • The lowblood roles are all fine. If you try to set all of the new roles somewhere around that power level, I think it'll end up being a much better game for all involved.

Anyway, I hope that you don't end up taking any of this as a personal attack. I really would like to see you make a good game out of this, so I hope you'll at least consider implementing some of these changes.

(P.S. You might want to consider looking at some of the old Dersehunt threads from the old forum if you're still looking for any new role ideas.)

Dersehunt 1
Dersehunt 2
Dersehunt 3
DHIntermission
Dersehunt 4

Tumblr/Steam
07-12-2013, 02:02 AM
@Coldblooded
I don't take it as a personal attack at all, I was actually kinda worried about balance issues and this is really super helpful! Back when I used to play a lot, my group was massive (60+ people) and I guess I built a game around that player count without realizing it. I'll absolutely work on a bunch of stuff you talked about, thanks so much for pointing it out!
07-12-2013, 08:35 AM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2013 08:36 AM by Mirdini.)
Just moseying on in here to say props on taking the advice in stride and best of luck with your game Dan! I probably don't have time for another game but if the balance issues get ironed out it should be a fun time (and I'll probably end up keepin' an eye on it (Will you be setting up a hangout for spectators perhaps?)).
07-12-2013, 02:04 PM
@Mirdini
Thanks! I'm stuck on a train for ~7 hours tomorrow so I might do some reworking then.
I plan on having the forum open for anyone who'd like to watch the actual game, as well as a separate locked Dead Thread for players who are, uh, dead.
If you promise not to share its info with others and want to chat with a buncha bitter ghosts i'll totally send you the pass when the game starts, though :)
07-12-2013, 02:10 PM
I can assure you I am a great spectator.