Mafia General Chat
11-14-2015, 04:31 PM
RE: Mafia General Chat
(11-13-2015 07:35 AM)Druplesnubb Wrote:  I think my favourite is Adventure Mafia because simply because of the perfect storm of wine that was Day 2, and also for how well I made practically everyone think I was town.

mspa wowee

um, my favorite mafia game was probably Terminal 13. I just enjoyed the whole concept of it. A close second would be Credithunt due to the fact i killed 2/3 scum blindly.

It's time to, T-T-T-T-T-T TRIPLE POST
11-14-2015, 05:03 PM
Shoutout to everyone's favourite game being because they themselves did something funny/amazing in it. :P
11-14-2015, 07:27 PM
most underrated thing in extreme trainwreck (and of course it was something i did :P) was when i set an auto kill to the next person to say "what the fuck" and yd12k (i think) said it in an extremely dramatic way consisting of three separate posts, the last one being a picture. that really added to the confusion.

so yeah that game was great as well. especially when i somehow rolled the role where the mod couldnt say my name, twice.

[Image: sig.gif]
11-14-2015, 11:14 PM
The dersehunt intermission where i was doc scratch and sotek was my cal

i misoblitted 4 days in a row

and then won the game

\o/
11-15-2015, 02:32 AM
Except for the people who said Red Death Chiral.

Also shout out to people who best remember games they actively participated in and thus being most likely to remember them fondly.

Oh yeah and speaking of DHIs I'm still sorry for ruining Scratchmas ;-;
11-15-2015, 03:57 AM (This post was last modified: 11-15-2015 04:01 AM by Acionyx.)
(11-13-2015 01:48 PM)Granolaman Wrote:  Quotefia ranks high in my books even though I didn't win. I very nearly pulled off a Watcher claim while the real Watcher was still alive and only botched it cuz Acio did his "SK pretending to be vig" thing too well. Even afterwards I still managed to snag the sexiest lynch in mafia history.

Fairly sure no one seriously believed that they were just ignoring me because I was conveniently slaughtering the scumteam :P

Favorite game is probably weirdmafia pyp back in the day for a pretty fun storm of mechanics and it being when the game clicked for me

Solaris' modfia was handsdown the best game to watch happen though ~LOVEKILL~

e: Teafia's pretty high up there too

ee: the first two Dersehunts some of the best games are the ones that are broken that you're not in pfft
11-16-2015, 03:40 AM
I think granola was saying that people actually thought you were town, not that they were ignoring you.

Even though you shot me immediately that game I'll still remember how the accidental hellbus supreme did buy one or two of my scummates a free pass for a good chunk of the game.
11-17-2015, 01:44 PM
is it like, allowed to go visit some other communities and ask for players?

or is just immoral?

11-17-2015, 02:00 PM
Dersehunt did it, pE.
11-17-2015, 04:11 PM
fs players ask their friends from other sites all the time

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

sometimes it is good, and sometimes it is not.

yeah.

"Have some wine," the March Hare said in an encouraging tone.
Alice looked all round the table, but there was nothing on it but tea.
"I don't see any wine," she remarked.

(06-25-2013 09:31 AM)Chirality Wrote:  And then everyone cut the simplest explanations in tiny pieces then set them on fire then threw them in a lake and poisoned the lake.
11-18-2015, 03:38 AM
(11-17-2015 01:44 PM)phantomEclipse Wrote:  is it like, allowed to go visit some other communities and ask for players?

or is just immoral?
Typically you'll annoy people if you join another forum just to advertise for a different one

Like you'll note that dersehunt advertisement post got approval from the site admins.

It's not as bit a deal if the forums have some shared history or if you frequently play at both forums.
11-18-2015, 12:07 PM
It also depends on the forum - some forums (like fs.com!) are kind of lower-activity so an appeal to some of the players to come over to somewhere else goes over pretty well, as long as you're respectful etc.

But yeah it helps a lot to have shared history and/or player overlap.
11-18-2015, 12:25 PM
Eagletime, Fantasy Strike and CPIF are a circle that have made handshakes in the past. Best to start with that.
11-18-2015, 01:34 PM
(11-18-2015 12:25 PM)amosmyn Wrote:  Eagletime, Fantasy Strike and CPIF are a circle that have made handshakes in the past. Best to start with that.

i'll check them first

11-18-2015, 04:42 PM
This whole thing makes me wonder if semi-formalized player exchanges might be a thing

(e.g. a couple of people from CPi go to fill out a game on Eagle Time while a couple Eagle Time players pop into a CPi game)

might help prevent metagames from getting too stale and help fill out signup rosters, among other things.

WHOA CHECK OUT ALL THESE MAFIA GAMES GUYS
(06-06-2016 06:12 AM)Coldblooded Wrote:  if there was ever a scumteam to overthink things and make a huge dramatic production out of day one, DC and Granola would probably be it.
11-18-2015, 07:12 PM
You make it sound like people give a damn about diplomatic relationships between forums..
11-18-2015, 07:19 PM
It's just like anything. If you're a newcomer in any place and what you have to say is an advertisement for something elsewhere, then that makes you a glorified spambot presenting a slightly more appealing product. People don't like spambots.

If you become in friendly terms, then the people won't see your ad as an irritating annoyance, they'll see it as an opportunity.
11-18-2015, 11:21 PM
Diplomatic relationships? Nah. Larger player pool? Probably!

(06-06-2016 06:12 AM)Coldblooded Wrote:  if there was ever a scumteam to overthink things and make a huge dramatic production out of day one, DC and Granola would probably be it.
11-19-2015, 05:34 AM
ET's already sent over what exchange players they're gonna. We're here primarily on replacement request or for filling out our friends' rosters. The only way you'd pull more is with a celebrity clusterfuck or sequel or something.

(09-25-2015 09:43 PM)Coldblooded Wrote:  Granola congratulations on maintaining your reign as king of the bastards once again.
11-19-2015, 06:36 AM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2015 07:47 AM by amosmyn.)
That's /partially/ why CHIV filled up fast and Phenon is not even half full, for the record. Sorry pE.
11-19-2015, 06:43 AM
(11-19-2015 06:36 AM)amosmyn Wrote:  That's why CHIV filled up fast and Phenon is not even half full, for the record. Sorry pE.
Kinda sucks. With the old crowd moving on, and nothing but sequels getting sign-ups, with us new players not being around for older stuff...

No wonder the forum activity is dying.
11-19-2015, 07:48 AM
I wouldnt say its necessarially sequels but more games by people who have made successful / fun games before. Having a rep from playing games and hosting encourages signups too.
11-19-2015, 07:56 AM
Point still stands, somewhat.

It's like, if you only read books by authors you already like, and the authors move on, whose books will you read? More importantly, how many aspiring authors and books will get shunted?
11-19-2015, 08:03 AM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2015 08:05 AM by Palamedes.)
I think it is a fair point - one that we could try to possibly mitigate a little. Most games get vetted by a more experienced member of the community regardless, so if that person could, if able, act as more of a cohost when the game starts up it might draw more attention. This includes, partially, a more active role in setup which is not necessarily a bad thing if you look at some of the more recent games and the more passive role vetters took (missing a fair number of problems and the like). That way people would be more immediately interested in games because it's more directly associated to someone they know and trust but would also build a relationship with new hosts.

Another, probably easier option is that new hosts could just start with small, easy to fill up games (like Carnegie's game), and only go to big setups when they've shown they're an entertaining and balanced mod. Small games are usually easier to balance I find, and go quicker so that it's easier to move on from errors and build up a repertoire of games people can look at and remember.

As an aside, Steam Game Giveaway 3 (or 4?) is probably going to exist but I'm looking for a co-host/someone who I can just support since I'm not sure of my ability to fully run another one. I know I just mentioned this in General Games but I know some of you only hang out here so I figured it wouldn't hurt to bring it up here too.
11-19-2015, 08:48 AM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2015 08:49 AM by amosmyn.)
(11-19-2015 07:56 AM)speedchuck Wrote:  Point still stands, somewhat.

It's like, if you only read books by authors you already like, and the authors move on, whose books will you read? More importantly, how many aspiring authors and books will get shunted?

New authors should create books that are accessible for the sake of publishing before advancing towards more ambitious projects. You don't just publish a thesis without going to school first, nor do you criticize Einstein's theories without proof and reputation that you actually know what you're talking about.

These are rough similes but you get the idea.
11-19-2015, 09:12 AM
That is true. But if nobody reads the original accessible books, then the author will not get published in the first place.
Co-authoring is also a thing, it's good.

I mean, I'm not laying all blame on the consumer. And granted, maybe some people should start with co-authoring and simple, proven setups.

Speaking of which, I hope somebody runs a TinyHunt soon. Those are really enjoyable. I would, but I am already doing things.
11-19-2015, 09:31 AM
We have a current practice of having setups vetted and reviewed by experienced setup coordinators.

Maybe we should emphasize "AMOS approved!" over "made by some chump called dC" when recruiting?

11-19-2015, 09:46 AM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2015 09:46 AM by speedchuck.)
That's probably a good idea.

I mean, the players have to have some guarantees before they sink what might be months into a game that might be crap.
11-19-2015, 06:13 PM
dropped off word on FS and ET

hope we can get at least speed's setup filled

11-19-2015, 10:22 PM
I'm gonna realtalk, you are not gonna get squat off ET who's not here already. Maybe if you approach people one-on-one, go out of your way to ask individuals "hey could I interest you in a game of mafia"

This is not an issue best addressed with impersonal business model analogies where you refer to "players" in the vague general plural. Get your friends who aren't already into mafia to do you a solid and join you in a game you want filled up. Firmly remind everyone they're new, and maybe collectively put acclimatising the newbie and doing your best to ensure they enjoy the game over whatever it is you normally do. If fresh blood is what you need, put the needs of newbies over "best play erryday".
I myself am only inclined to play games on personal request because for me, mafia is a thing my friends do and I enjoy spending time and acquiring anecdotes with friends. It's probably in part why my best mafia memories are as scum or late-game town, because the camaraderie is a huge factor for me.

My subbing into games is also conditional on someone asking me so I can moan at them and laugh with someone about how shit a job I'm doing.

So yeah if you're wondering about the dearth of players, quit IDE/theorying amongst yourselves and go to folks who aren't playing. If you don't actually care about who you're playing with so much as you just want them to be active, I'd direct you to whatever online mafia community is the largest and get your ludolic fixin's there.

This post brought to you by the Great Fucks Famine of 2015

(Metamaf might seem like an exception to the Camarederie Rule, but i was privy to background shenanigans like the Machine so the mor and I had a fair amount of giggling and gnashing-teething over game state.)
11-19-2015, 11:15 PM
This is a forum that's basically only advertised and accessed from a link on the forum of a webcomic that's been "dead" for a while. If you're wondering why there's a player scarcity, you don't have to look very far.

Couple that with the fact while the games forum was still inside the same forum, cross-advertising through different sections of the forums was pretty easy, one reference to a game in a forum sig and suddenly you've got people that were discussing music checking out your freeform RP. You attracted people whose primary interests were not your stuff specifically, and once they got hooked they joined more stuff.

This forum is really not expected to grow.
11-20-2015, 12:44 AM
Eh, point taken. I probably should have looked into how things were already before saying anything :/

11-20-2015, 01:10 AM
And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains 'round the decay
Of that colossal wreck
11-20-2015, 02:49 AM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2015 02:50 AM by speedchuck.)
(11-19-2015 10:22 PM)Alter Eagle Wrote:  If you don't actually care about who you're playing with so much as you just want them to be active, I'd direct you to whatever online mafia community is the largest and get your ludolic fixin's there.
Unfortunately, this is the only one I can access from work. Fortunately, I like this community, and the people here. Unfortunately, you are right in that this community probably won't grow. Doubly unfortunately, I don't have any friends that would be interested in this kind of thing. Those that might have been have already fallen in and out of mafia games, and don't have the time or will to play any more.

Edit: I'm curious, where did the new-ish members come from? TryTryAgain, pE, dC (people that are newer than me anyways)
11-20-2015, 08:04 AM
I googled Dersehunt. True story :V

11-20-2015, 11:41 AM
The splintering, such as it is, is an unfortunate consequence of the mspa forums shutting down the games subforum. Eagle Time was a thing before then, I think (Schazer obviously knows more about that than me), and there's always been a few players straddling the line between Sirlin and MSPA (like Sotek, and me for one particularly unfortunate game of polarityhunt), but in general things were centralized, and the influx of visitors to the MSPA forums as a whole made sure that when people left, there were replacements for them.

I mean, homestuck is basically dead and the teen legions have mostly moved on to other obsessions, so it might have been moot anyway, but I'm a bit sad that our "buffer" of players is gone, and probably not coming back. I guess I'm sort of an exception, but exception is an accurate term.
11-20-2015, 02:06 PM
This is basically just a games forum at this point, with a small community that I like. We could always affiliate ourselves with other games forums and cross-talk between them, or invite our friends to the forum in general to help it grow. Being standalone could be fun.
11-20-2015, 03:20 PM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2015 03:21 PM by phantomEclipse.)
(11-20-2015 02:49 AM)speedchuck Wrote:  Edit: I'm curious, where did the new-ish members come from? TryTryAgain, pE, dC (people that are newer than me anyways)

I was bored one day, exploring the mspa forums since i never received an activation code. i happened upon the games link. and here we are today over a year later (almost two years i think)

11-20-2015, 11:20 PM
What would you say about merging the mafia board and the general games board? The two don't feel like they have enough activity to justify keeping them separate and it could help making people from one board try out games from the other.
11-21-2015, 06:39 AM
It's kind of cool having a straight archive of mafia games, but it would probably be better to integrate. It might bolster both communities.
11-21-2015, 07:26 AM
I'll of course leave it up to the people, but I actually prefer having them separate? I'd at least prefer to hear the opinions of people who only frequent one subforum since they're the ones who would actually be affected by any change.
11-21-2015, 08:08 AM
I'm not opposed to it since that's how it was in the MSPA days.
(11-21-2015 06:39 AM)speedchuck Wrote:  It's kind of cool having a straight archive of mafia games, but it would probably be better to integrate. It might bolster both communities.
We do have a bulletin thread; that could be a good place to maintain everything? Dini was maintaining it last I checked, it can always be made more detailed or handed off to a dedicated archiver.

and now, hunger does what sorrow could never do
website | @tehpilot
11-21-2015, 08:53 AM (This post was last modified: 11-21-2015 08:57 AM by amosmyn.)
If I wasn't sailing away from this forum in the near future I'd be pretty opposed to merging since I don't really use this forum for much else.

Re: bulletin thread, I had actually been doing the majority of the upkeep for it. I guess Palamedes gets to do it all now lolololol (sorry)
11-21-2015, 11:18 AM
In theory I'm supposed to be keeping a mafia game record, but in practice I've just not been doing it.

I feel like having a wiki as an archive might work? It could even hold personal thoughts and stories on individual games and things

11-21-2015, 12:33 PM
I mean once you merge the mafia subforum and the general games subforum.

It only leaves one page to visit in the entire forum, which is already pretty desolate as is.

11-21-2015, 08:30 PM
What if we just merged every single post on the forums into one gigantic thread for ease of reading?

Tumblr/Steam
11-21-2015, 09:17 PM
How edgy.
11-22-2015, 09:31 AM
Someone should try and start a mafia game in mspa genchat just to see what happens.

(09-25-2015 09:43 PM)Coldblooded Wrote:  Granola congratulations on maintaining your reign as king of the bastards once again.
11-26-2015, 11:09 PM
A pretty immediate thread shutdown I'd imagine mspa
11-27-2015, 08:18 AM
Pretty sure some of the people on these forums are mods on the mspa forums too so there is that.

[Image: sonicsig2.jpg]
Steam