Mafia General Chat
07-12-2013, 03:03 PM
RE: Mafia Discussion
Yep, I'd like to peruse through the shenanigans as well please.
07-14-2013, 12:21 PM
I appreciate your interest but if I don't get at least a couple more people we won't even have a game to watch! I need 16 people at the absolute minimum and right now all i got is 14. The rules/roles will be edited tomorrow probably (i have a long-ass train ride with no wifi). If any of you are interested in playing or have any friends who might be now'd be the time to pipe up about it!
07-14-2013, 07:46 PM
http://homestuckmafia.freeforums.org/index.php
FORUM IS UP !!!
07-16-2013, 08:53 AM
Sooo the forum isn't working right now. I would suggest either hosting it on this forum or the VS one. It'll be seen by more people that way and may bring people to both communities.

That is, unless we can get the setup-exclusive forums to function.

"We love eloquence for its own sake, and not for any truth which it may utter, or any heroism it may inspire."
-Henry David Thoreau
07-16-2013, 09:58 AM
Forum's working fine for me?

[Image: g4osirL.jpg]
07-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Personally I think that making a forum just for a single game is a bit odd, but I guess it's up to the GM.

Also the forum is working for me too (assuming you mean Dan's forum and not this one, which obviously works).
07-22-2013, 03:57 PM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2013 03:58 PM by amosmyn.)
Will it blend?
That is the question.
08-12-2013, 01:59 PM
So late last night as I was managing my ever-present replacement issue and flipping through the MagicHunt/Tinyhunt threads, I found myself struck with a sudden bolt of inspiration. My half-asleep self had decided it'd be a good idea to make an open setup as a change of pace from my three closed-setup games. With ideas from both in mind and using Tinyhunt as a base, I gave it a whirl. I rose the next morning to find it might be a workable idea.

Here's a Google Doc with a rough setup draft.

Also, for your viewing convenience, I ran some test games using a random number generator. These are the two logs I made. These should hopefully give you guys a feel on how this game might play out, despite any inaccuracies that may be shown inside. The rolenames/mechanics are a little different in these logs, but I outlined those changes in the logs themselves.

I'm welcome to your constructive comments/criticisms, and if this has potential I'll consider a discussion thread and perhaps a first game here.

and now, hunger does what sorrow could never do
website | @tehpilot
08-12-2013, 02:06 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2013 02:09 PM by ICan'tGiveCredit.)
Yay I'm a game mechanic mspa

Ya i would go for that
08-12-2013, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2013 04:25 PM by Coldblooded.)
The one main problem with your game, Pilot, is that Predator kills need to be a hell of a lot cheaper. If I was town in that game, I would just suggest a mass-claim D1 and trust that we'd easily be able to lynch off all the extras long before the scumteam ever got enough credits to soup all of us. If the scumteam can figure out a townies' role than they need to die, it's as simple as that.

I'd suggest something that starts out free but gets increasingly more expensive with each attempt. Something like:
1st attempt: Free, other than sacrificing their regular kill.
2nd attempt: Costs 2 credits.
3rd attempt: Costs 4 credits. (6 total)
4th attempt: Costs 6 credits. (12 total)
5th attempt: Costs 8 credits. (20 total) etc.

Alternate Idea: The scumteam can make as many predator kill attempts as they want at night, but have to pay around a 5 credit penalty for each failure. If they don't have enough credits left to cover the balance, then somebody gets revealed at daystart. (Possibly multiple somebodies if they have a big enough tab built up.)

Tumblr/Steam
08-12-2013, 04:37 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2013 04:37 PM by ICan'tGiveCredit.)
By "multiple somebodies (being revealed)" do you mean one of the three witches + some of the townies they (tried to) kill? That would be agreeable.
08-12-2013, 05:21 PM
I was thinking one scum revealed for every 5 credit penalty that they're unable to pay off, but on second thought, it should probably have a bit stricter restrictions/penalties on it, because otherwise they would probably just attempt to predator kill everybody as soon as they get near MYLO and not give a shit about whether or not any of them get revealed after they've already hit overrun.

Also, it'd probably be better to only reveal one scum each day in that case, just to give them a chance to finish paying off that huge penalty before it's too late.

Tumblr/Steam
08-13-2013, 02:42 AM
I do like the increasing fee for attempting predator kills - that way, they can always safely pull off one or two shots without losing too much of their Credits. The second idea, I feel, would lend itself to scum attempting ridiculous numbers of Predator Kills and simply trying to oversoup the town before they're all lynched or assassinated without trying to pay off their debt (maybe a limit on predator kill attempts?).

The general idea for the Predator Kills was to have the danger in obliterating come from a different source (in this case, an activation fee over a reveal on failing).

website | @tehpilot
08-20-2013, 08:48 PM
Hello everyone :)

I'll keep it short:

I'm trying to gathers players from many different sites to play together in a game of mafia reserved only for the best of the best players. There are already confirmed players from 10 different sites. And I was curious to know if you could help me find out who the consensus top players are on this site? If there was one person who should really represent this site in this game, who would that be?

Thanks in advance

Kind regards,
Thingyman
08-20-2013, 10:01 PM
Hey I guess I might as well reply here since you sent me a PM over on ET with the exact same message:

I guess your interest is appreciated but ranking/subdividing players into better and worse isn't really something I'd feel comfortable doing? (And by extension wouldn't be comfortable seeing others do either)

Sure, some people might be more obviously persuasive/intuitive/eloquent or whatever makes someone 'good' at mafia than others but outright going 'THESE ARE THE BEST PRO MAFIA PLAYERS' carries with it the connotation of 'everyone else is not (as) good at mafia' which is not really a sentiment worth encouraging, much less one that motivates people to keep playing the game.

Good luck elsewhere, I suppose?
08-21-2013, 12:17 AM
I'm sorry you feel that way. It wasn't meant as anything harsh.

I guess I'll ask it like this instead: Who would be best suited to represent this forum? Whatever "best suited" entails I'll leave up to you :)
08-21-2013, 12:29 AM
That's still not really something I want to choose, and I think other people will agree. You already told us it's going to be a BEST MAF PLAYERS mafia game, and many people here are good (while i'm not one lol) and there's no one suited to "best represent" a forum which is like a few months old.

dC Wrote:donut is A FILTHY TRAITOR unreliable
08-21-2013, 01:57 AM
Alright, I'm sorry. It seems I've insulted you which wasn't my intention. I was just hoping you'd be able to appreciate this bonding opportunity across so many different mafia sites. It truly is a unique event, I'm sad you won't be participating. In any case, I'll back off.
08-21-2013, 03:08 AM (This post was last modified: 08-21-2013 03:20 AM by amosmyn.)
Seems more like a segregating opportunity to me, at least within forum communities.

On a related note though, I think it might be worth considering affiliation with other mafia sites for the sake of sharing memberbases for games or just discussing mafia and games in general?
08-21-2013, 04:16 AM
(08-21-2013 03:08 AM)amosmyn Wrote:  On a related note though, I think it might be worth considering affiliation with other mafia sites for the sake of sharing memberbases for games or just discussing mafia and games in general?

Pretty sure this is already informally the case since a bunch of us have friends from other sites who we invite to games over here (and to an extent vice-versa) - dunno if I'd want to bother with a formal affiliation with any one community because that opens a whole bunch of cans of worms. Still, it's something to keep in mind? Maybe when this forum's been around for a bit longer/had a bit longer to really establish some maf continuity.
08-21-2013, 08:02 AM
Guys seriously, don't refer me to this stuff. Thanks.
08-21-2013, 10:59 AM
(08-21-2013 04:16 AM)Mirdini Wrote:  
(08-21-2013 03:08 AM)amosmyn Wrote:  On a related note though, I think it might be worth considering affiliation with other mafia sites for the sake of sharing memberbases for games or just discussing mafia and games in general?

Pretty sure this is already informally the case since a bunch of us have friends from other sites who we invite to games over here (and to an extent vice-versa) - dunno if I'd want to bother with a formal affiliation with any one community because that opens a whole bunch of cans of worms. Still, it's something to keep in mind? Maybe when this forum's been around for a bit longer/had a bit longer to really establish some maf continuity.

I'm kind of imagining just sharing a few stamp sized graphic links or whatever, but I certainly agree.
08-21-2013, 02:04 PM
(08-21-2013 10:59 AM)amosmyn Wrote:  
(08-21-2013 04:16 AM)Mirdini Wrote:  
(08-21-2013 03:08 AM)amosmyn Wrote:  Blah blah affiliation blah
Blah blah continuity blah
Blaaahhhh

I also agree that we should be affiliated at some point maybe?
As for the continuity problem, our community does have a continuity, it's just currently being hosted on another site. Unless you mean something else.

"We love eloquence for its own sake, and not for any truth which it may utter, or any heroism it may inspire."
-Henry David Thoreau
08-27-2013, 07:00 AM
Working on flavor for a setup~
Will start sign-ups within the next two weeks???

-Henry David Thoreau
08-27-2013, 07:55 AM
aw man i forgot about that ~best of mafias~ game thingy person

why did nobody refer me i would have sent them home scarred for life come on guys

"Have some wine," the March Hare said in an encouraging tone.
Alice looked all round the table, but there was nothing on it but tea.
"I don't see any wine," she remarked.

(06-25-2013 09:31 AM)Chirality Wrote:  And then everyone cut the simplest explanations in tiny pieces then set them on fire then threw them in a lake and poisoned the lake.
08-27-2013, 02:05 PM
you know what's weird

i still think of oz as being a new person, but DHI WAS ALMOST TWO YEARS AGO

TWO YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARS

that is too long. way too long

(06-25-2013 09:31 AM)Chirality Wrote:  And then everyone cut the simplest explanations in tiny pieces then set them on fire then threw them in a lake and poisoned the lake.
08-28-2013, 02:02 AM
I have actually been around a bit more than two years. I already had three months playing mafia games with you by the time DHI started. But I guess usually getting killed N1 or N2 made me somewhat forgettable.
08-29-2013, 01:27 PM
Looking for a flavory savory closed-setup mafia?

Try here.

-Henry David Thoreau
09-01-2013, 09:11 AM
Pilot thanks to Vic I am now always reading your name as TehPlot.

dC Wrote:donut is A FILTHY TRAITOR unreliable
09-01-2013, 11:26 AM
A missing letter is nothing compared to some of the mistakes I've seen with my username in the past.

Anyway, while I'm here, I have two minor things to say:

- Awards for Radio Tower will come soon! I got involved in a last-moment family trip so that'll be delayed for a few days.
- Since my academic year seems to be lightweight this year, I might be able to run my open setup soon and stay well on top of it. I'll hold out until I get an idea of my workload for real, but in the meantime feel free to take a look at the setup and send me your comments and suggestions. Here's the current setup.

website | @tehpilot
09-01-2013, 02:59 PM
(09-01-2013 11:26 AM)TehPilot Wrote:  A missing letter is nothing compared to some of the mistakes I've seen with my username in the past.

Let me guess. Someone called you "ThePilot"

-Henry David Thoreau
09-04-2013, 09:15 AM
Tiny Hunt: VIRTUAL REALITY EDITION still needs another 7 players before it can start.

Tumblr/Steam
09-12-2013, 10:15 AM
i can't believe i signed up for 3 games and none of them are starting

curse u school for not letting people have enough time for their mafias

09-12-2013, 01:02 PM
Pretty much. Eta is sunday or saturday fpr BSFia.
09-12-2013, 01:11 PM
Oh, oh, can I already dub it bullshitfia?
09-12-2013, 01:59 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2013 01:59 PM by beruru.)
but chiral, BSfia was already a game :(

e: amos you too. remember butterscotchfia. remember it getting broken and scoffles' tears. yes

09-12-2013, 02:25 PM
(09-12-2013 01:59 PM)beruru Wrote:  but chiral, BSfia was already a game :(

e: amos you too. remember butterscotchfia. remember it getting broken and scoffles' tears. yes

FLAVOR VICTORY
09-12-2013, 02:30 PM
(09-12-2013 02:25 PM)Mirdini Wrote:  
(09-12-2013 01:59 PM)beruru Wrote:  but chiral, BSfia was already a game :(

FLAVOR VICTORY

PATRIOTIC HIGH-FIVE DESPITE OPPOSED ALIGNMENTS
09-12-2013, 02:46 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2013 03:08 PM by Mirdini.)
so um everyone should go to the mothership (can we call the mspa forums the mothership) because it got hacked by syria related people thingies

uhhhhmmmmmmm i hope this doesn't affect the archives (and also the lots of everything else stored and hosted over there)

Mod Safety Edit: Probably shouldn't go unless you have some script protection, it's entirely possible the hackers made the page a minefield.

09-12-2013, 02:55 PM
(09-12-2013 02:46 PM)beruru Wrote:  so um everyone should go to the mothership (can we call the mspa forums the mothership) because it got hacked by syria related people thingies

uhhhhmmmmmmm i hope this doesn't affect the archives (and also the lots of everything else stored and hosted over there)

holy shit
09-12-2013, 03:04 PM
Probably shouldn't go unless you have some script protection, it's entirely possible the hackers made the page a minefield.
09-12-2013, 03:10 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2013 03:16 PM by Mister Visceral.)
Welp. This is certainly a special time. My roommate says it sounds like something our government would do.

EDIT: I totes started to click on a link, then quickly rethought that decision.

Can we send over Drillgorg as our weapon? Just to represent the fora. As a gift.
Maybe Obama already sent over Dronegorg???

-Henry David Thoreau
09-12-2013, 04:20 PM
i love how the most popular post on tumblr about the hack is actively encouraging people to go there

i feel sorry for whichever syrian group did this, though. homestuck isn't /that/ popular, your message won't touch that many people

09-12-2013, 04:38 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2013 04:47 PM by Mirdini.)
Considering it's apparently a group of hacker nutjobs who've hacked other sites to spread their message that 'we are all behind glorious leader bashar al-asad' I'm not so sure about the feeling sorry for 'em but welp.

Anyway this is really more of a GENERAL CHAT topical but since no-one uses that forum (perhaps because of the name? hmm) welp

e: x2 welp combo
09-12-2013, 04:41 PM
hey, it affects us, we need those backup files

DERSEHUNT IS IN THERE

09-13-2013, 12:49 AM
who cares
09-13-2013, 12:54 PM
i cares

[Image: g4osirL.jpg]
09-13-2013, 01:32 PM
[Image: NZqMeq5.jpg]
09-13-2013, 02:16 PM
...why the fuck did they hack, of all websites, the mspa forums?

thats

thats incredibly dumb

like. wtf are you doing. convincing cosplaying teens to march on the white house or something???
09-13-2013, 02:17 PM
like, really, thats another level of dumb. its so dumb i almost cant believe it.