In Process (Need Replacements) (Dead) STRONGHOLD
08-19-2013, 05:50 PM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2013 05:15 AM by Rufus.)
(Dead) STRONGHOLD
The world is in shambles.

For many years, people had thought of the power of the human mind. Nobody knew what powers it truly held. Could it create worlds? Are our mind simply firing neurons and nothing more? Is there a soul? Even today, such questions have not been answered. But something is known for sure; Humanity caused the great reckoning. The great apocalypse that ended the world as we know it.

The psychic energies of 7 billion people could not be held back by whatever had held them back for so many years. It snapped in a second; everything was fine. And then pure chaos. Psychic storms ravaged the world- millions died within moments. Others were mutated and changed into fiends; psychic abominations mutated from humans and animals. Most are hostile and many are dangerous.

But even in this catastrophe, there is hope. The breaking of the great barrier means that now humans can actually reach out and change the world with their minds- psychics are now real. The gift does not touch everyone, but with practice people can learn how to access this new power.

It has been months since the great storms. Fiends still roam the lands, looking for the few survivors remaining. But those survivors are not going down easy. Humans are getting back on their feet- organizing and coming together. They are building Strongholds.

--

STRONGHOLD is a forum game that stretches way back to February 2011 when I made the first one. It has always been something I think back on from time to time and I love to think of the wonderful adventures that the games brought to me and others.

This version of STRONGHOLD is touched up and a little more experimental, relying less on math. I'd like creativity to flow and I want to bring this psychic apocalypse to a new audience!

If anyone in this new forum was a player in the old Stronghold(s) you may certainly join up! But I won't give you a preference- I will go by quality of character and assumed availability of play.

Each Character has Traits and Skills.

Traits are special things about the character. Generally these cannot be changed. They are personality flaws or bonuses, or body or mind bonuses or flaws! If you take a flaw you can get +1 character point. Each positive trait costs 1 character point. You can have a maximum of 5 positive traits and 2 negative traits Traits are also freeform, but I expect common sense and creativity from these. I will not except flaws that are too specific or bonuses that are too broad. These are to breathe life into your characters; not make them min-maxers.

Skills are the special things the character can do. SKILLS ARE FREEFORM IN THIS GAME. Skills are not something everyone can do. For example; Running is not a skill. Running while reloading or Running while sneaking are skills- Running itself is not.

Each character also gets to choose between different Starting items. Each starting item has a point cost- you can have as many as you'd like as long as you have the points for it, and you can buy multiple of the same item from the cost brackets. Everyone starts with a single pair of clothes on their back by default.

Character Sheet
Player's Username:
Name:
Appearance and Personality: (Technically optional since this is a 'Game' and not a roleplay.)
History:

Comfort: (This is the one thing your character finds most comfort in. It could be a drug or relaxing activity, a single sentimental item, or something else. Don't pick something just because it's common. In gameplay terms; this activity reduces the characters stress and recharges their psychic points (if any) twice as fast as other relaxing things.)
Hurt: (This is the one thing your character is most hurt by. It can be a fear, rejection or betrayal, an idea or type of thinking; anything. It is twice as hurtful against their stress!)

(You have 6 starting character points to spend.)

TRAITS (Traits are freeform. You may give yourself positive traits such as Fast Runner or Good Hider for 1 point each. Unlike skills these are universal things that you are especially good at or have problems with. Each negative trait gives you +1 character point but WILL significantly impact your character in a negative way. You can only have a maximum of 5 positive traits and 2 negative traits.
The one unique trait is the 'Psychic' trait. It costs 3 points to start as a Psychic- it is possible for non-psychics to become psychics but only after some extreme effort on their part!)

SKILLS (Skills are freeform. You may give yourself any skill you'd like to name; as per explanation of Skills above. Each Skill costs 1 point at level 1, 2 points at level 2, and 3 points for level 3. Once you are at level 3 you can spend 1 point to give yourself a '+' to that skill, making it a little better each time; there is no limit to the number of +'s you can have As per Character creation however, your skills cannot go past Level 2. You can also begin the game with a psychic skill, but only if you have the 'Psychic' trait! Psychic 'skills' should be written in a way similar to Psychic 'spells'; they must be very specific!)

STARTING ITEMS
(-1 Point each)
Ration
Flashlight
(one!) Walkie Talkie
Generic Battery
Kitchen Knife
Duct Tape
Bandaid
Sleeping Bag
(-2 Points each)
Pocket knife
Taser (5 Uses)
Hammer
Box of nails
Medkit
Lighter or Box of matches
(-3 Points each)
Pistol (comes with 10 pistol bullets)
Box of 20 rounds (Any ammunition)
Can of Gasoline
Chainsaw
Sword
Kevlar Armor

Please sign up- I hope to have you aboard!
08-19-2013, 05:59 PM
RE: STRONGHOLD
Question. Can I build a psychic with fiend features as negative traits?
08-19-2013, 06:47 PM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2013 04:36 PM by Kocel.)
Player's Username: Kocel
Name: Ricardo Blanco
Appearance and Personality: Tall, muscular, long blonde hair, bloodshot eyes.
History: Ricardo's always been a drifter and a junkie. Long ago, he had believed that he'd just die face-down in the gutter some day

Then the storms came.

Afterwards, Ricardo found himself imbued with a drug resistance and strange psychic empathy. Some might try to use these powers to help their fellow, dying man.

Ricardo? He does what he can, but at the end of it all? He's still a junkie. So now he wanders the wastes, looking for kinship and, most importantly, drugs.

Comfort: Most drugs, with a slight preference for crack, but also, strangely enough, the companionship of others.
Hurt: Going through withdrawals, failing his companions.

TRAITS: NEGATIVE: Withdrawals: Ricardo needs some sort of fix at least once a day or he'll go into withdrawals, which include sickness, hallucinations, and high fever.

POSITIVE: OD Bullet Proof: Ricardo cannot OD off of drugs, and he also has a chemical resistance to poisons and dangerous chemicals. He's ingested and injected some sketchy substances in his time.

PSYCHIC! : Ricardo has been a psychic since the storms first hit. He barely uses his ability, however....

SKILLS:
Shared Euphoria: When using illicit substances, Ricardo grants nearby allies whatever positive effects the drugs impart upon him. Luckily, they don't have to deal with the negative health repercussions.

STARTING ITEMS
1 Ration
1 Pocket Knife (or, if I could substitute, his personal stash of drugs. I will substitute either item for that if necessary.)
08-19-2013, 07:26 PM (This post was last modified: 08-21-2013 03:38 PM by Palamedes.)
Player's Username: Palamedes
Name: Hal Coem
Appearance and Personality: Hal's rather scrawny, nerdy looking fellow - his complete lack of interest in physical activity evident by his slight gut and poor stamina. He wears a rather torn up work shirt with a t-shirt underneath, and dirty dress pants.

History: Hal spent years working at a nature park, where he developed an affinity for animals, though the dwindling interest left him out of a job for some time - eventually he managed to get a desk job at a local tech joint as a lowly IT worker. He was immediately unpopular, having always gotten along better with animals than people, and retreated into stereotypical nerddom. Eventually, none of his troubles mattered when the apocalypse hit, and he found himself alone, hungry, and in serious trouble. He never was one for working with others, but desperate times...

Comfort: Proving to others that he can deal with shit on its own.
Hurt: Sitting around, or looking generally useless in front of others.

TRAITS
Shit Luck - Whatever Hal does, it almost never works out the way he expects - the universe often conspires to place shit in his path to make whatever he's doing more difficult.
Animal Lover - Hal has a natural way with animals, and they will often tend to calm down, and even act friendly around him.
Can't Run - For Hal, retreat is often too much of an effort and only makes things worse slightly later, due to his shitty stamina causing running to far for too long to be a problem. Unless the situation is truly desperate, he'd rather stay and chance it.
Psychic - Control powers: though not powerful enough to fully control anything smarter than an animal, it can certainly cause problems for enemies and buff allies.

SKILLS
Adrenaline - Despite his looks, Hal is a survivor. As long as he's fighting his hardest to survive, he cannot die or be knocked unconcious, and will feel his injuries once things calm down. However, this does not affect him being stunned, put to sleep, or slowed down - all of which cause him to calm down (albeit against his will).
Get Over It - Hal's life experiences have shown him that anything can change, anytime. In fact, he hates seeing people who seem to believe that things can't, and fall into their personal slumps over and over again - in fact it drives him nuts. He can lecture someone about it once per day, allowing a single ally to swap their hurt and comfort for a day's time. However, once he chooses a target for his lecturing everyone else gets the hell away from him whenever they can and avoid the topic for the rest of the day, meaning he can only do this to one ally per day.
Enemy Mine - Hal can inspire a strong dislike from one target to another, making them more likely target that person/creature over others (unless target is a close friend or loved one or the like), or at least not work well with them and fail to help them. Out of combat, they will want to actively work against them.
Helper - Hal can act as a supporter for an ally performing a difficult or dangerous task, focusing on helping them so they may figure it out/pull it off more easily.

STARTING ITEMS
None, he wasn't at all prepared for this.
08-20-2013, 12:09 AM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2013 05:22 PM by ICan'tGiveCredit.)
Real Character
Player's Username: ICan'tGiveCredit
Name: Mr.Mercime
Appearance and Personality: A gruff, well-built man in a white business suit. He likes to wear a crown on his head. Black hair, bushy mustache. Caucasian.
History: Mr. Mercime was the curator of a famous museum in the city of Bersei. He had a side-job as a wrestler (during the season) when he could afford an assistant. It's all a big gamble, really, paying for an assistant in the off-chance that you can win big against the other fighters. Well Mercime sure does have his wit about him doesn't he! Yes, he manages to come in at third or even second, sometimes fourth and this would always net him a large amount of money. He never really aimed for first place. Mercime noticed though that when he did, the match was rigged in some way. There were sharp or blunt objects lying around. The opponent's sponsor was a government official. The referee didn't... ref. All sorts of things which drove the name of fairness into the ground. So one season, Mercime decided to use his psychic abilities so that things would be more "fair". He got his own government sponsor, he checked the stage for any traps, miscellaneous objects or any other bullshit. So the day before the match, he was in the garden, cutting his hedge down to size with his chainsaw. Sometimes he would get tired and let his mind work the chainsaw for him. Well it was on that fateful day in the garden that he caught the newspaper from the newsboy and looked in the "Sports" section to review who he was fighting this time. He looked pretty normal. What was really disturbing though was the fact that he was listed as having psychic abilities.

Two men in ski masks give him a bash to the side of the head. Dirty bastards came from behind.

Moving sounds. A truck. Where the hell is he going? Why is the #1 spot so important? But more importantly, WILL HE EVER GET TO FINISH TRIMMING THE HEDGES????

He will never know the answers to the last two questions but he knew the first one soon enough when he found himself in his curator suit, his novelty crown and his chainsaw in what looks to be some Stronghold.

Comfort: Reading! Whether it be a good book or a Lovecraftian almanac of the various monsters scattered throughout a dungeon.
Hurt: Mercime never was the druggy type and he always knew the effects. Thus, he will show a distinct fear of people who take drugs or atleast berate them for abusing their bodies.

Trait: Psychic - Everyone knows what this does. Positive.

Trait: GAH THE FLAMES DON'T BURN ME. Take more damage from rampant FLAMES. Negative

Trait: Hipster err i mean Psygregation: Mercime doesn't feel like he's similar at all to other psychics and will end up doing less damage to them due to the disconnect.

Trait: Stealth-less: Way to go you hulking brute! You gave us away! Mercime can't be stealthy for shit.

SKILLS
Weaponized Boomerang lvl 1: How the hell does he even get a chainsaw to loop around like that? It's not physically possible oh forget it, anyway, Mercime can throw his weapon and it will come back to him with no trouble. He has an easier time with bigger weapons though and can't throw smaller things at this level.

Nice Catch! lvl 1: Mercime will use his telekinesis to catch a knife headed straight for him just in time! In later levels, maybe he'll catch a grenade! And fling it back on time! WITH HIS MIND.

STARTING ITEMS
Chainsaw

Joke Character
Character Sheet

Player's Username: ICan'tGiveCredit
Name: SUPER DESU SENPAI
Appearance and Personality: SUPER DESU SENPAI IS KAWAII DESU AND DESPISES EVERYONE BECAUSE THEY ALL THINK HE IS SUPER KAWAII KAWAII DESU~
History: (SDS) was the most desu person in the entire earth but ever since the Cuteness Pageant, he has never been the same. SDS has become psychotic and masterminded the bank robberies of millions of cities. That's just how much he hated the world. And how much the world loved him because he is so beautiful! He got away with so much shit man, just because he managed to weaponize his handsome face for evil deeds. They eventually caught up with him though. His charms work through cameras but not on other, stronge Psychics. The psychics told him he was to be transported to this abandoned facility and use his powers to cooperate with others ugghhh yuck cooperation!? SDS is really mad about this but doesn't show it. He can't help hating everyone!

Trait: Lovable. We don't know what's with SDS but he just seems to have that serene charm that makes him the best target for everyone's cuddles!

Hurt: (LOVE) WILL BE CONVERTED TO HATE. NO KISSES, NOT EVEN AN "I LIKE YOUR CHAINSAW SUPER DESU~" as it will result in SDS hurting the person saying the compliment. Compliments take a percent out of SDS's current health. Gm discretion.

Hurt: SDS is a severe wuss for fire and will duck away + will have to resort to long range to get anything done when it comes to dragons and shit.

SKILLS
Weaponized Boomerang lvl 1: How the hell does he even get a chainsaw to loop around like that? It's not physically possible oh forget it, anyway, SDS can throw his weapon and it will come back to him with no trouble. He has an easier time with bigger weapons though and can't throw smaller things at this level.

Charm lvl 1: ...uhh... SDS will try charming an enemy with his stunning good looks into joining his side for a while but the influence will be broken if he is attacked. Ex. "You are the best SDS" and then SDS chops off their arm. So I guess it's more of a distraction and gives a free round. How long they'll be charmed? Dependant on the level. It always charms them though. I guess this is a psychic skill and Lovable is the trait.

STARTING ITEMS
Chainsaw
Walky-Talky (SO HE MAY SCREAM HIS HATE AT YOU ALL)
08-20-2013, 01:06 AM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2013 01:21 AM by Rufus.)
(08-19-2013 05:59 PM)MasterBlade Wrote:  Question. Can I build a psychic with fiend features as negative traits?

Sure. Fiends generally hate humans and want them to suffer, have gray skin and red eyes, and poor impulse control. You can have some of these traits, but please don't make a 'good' fiend. Good fiends are very few and far between.

Also: All of these characters submitted are really over the top. Just because I made it freeform doesn't mean I wanted 'lawl so randumb XD' characters.
08-20-2013, 01:50 AM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2013 06:49 AM by SupahKiven.)
Player's Username: SupahKiven
Name: Anna McGillan
Appearance and Personality: A rather average looking girl, fresh out of highschool, with long brown hair and dark blue eyes. Covered in quite a bit of ash and burns. Acts timid around people, unless there's fire around.
History: Bullied to the point of exhaustion in her later years of highschool, the school counselor had suggested that she find an activity to take her mind off of the bad things in life. It started off small, with little bits of paper towel and being a bit too interested when her father was grilling. It eventually turned into a burning pile of desks, chairs, and library books on the school's front lawn. Despite the bold act of burning school property, she still broke down and sobbed when she was scolded. Spending a year in juvenile hall didn't help her toughen up much either. Still, at least she got her urges under control. That is, until everyone had just collapsed and Anna figured out she could light things on fire with her mind. Without a care in the world, Anna started lighting things on fire and moving through the remains, leaving a smoldering trail in her wake.

Comfort: Fire/Watching things burn
Hurt: Getting yelled at in any way, shape, or form.

TRAITS:
Psychic
Pyromania(Negative): Once she starts, it's kind of hard to stop. Anna will, more often than not, need to be told to stop setting things on fire. She'll tire out, sure, but she'll still keep trying until someone snaps her out of it.
Phonophobia(Negative): Stemming from the constant loud, verbal abuse, Anna is more timid and afraid around loud sounds. She often does poorly and even can't act when she hears something louder than a car horn.

SKILLS:
Pyrokinesis 1: Fire is where it's at, baby! Anna can produce a flame, just big enough to fit into her palm, up to a few feet in front of her.
Extinguish 1: A lesser used ability that Anna discovered when she lit her hair on fire by accident. Anna can put out any fire that is the same size or smaller than the fire she can create, as long as she can see it.

STARTING ITEMS:
1 Can of Gasoline
08-20-2013, 02:13 AM
(08-20-2013 01:06 AM)Rufus Wrote:  Also: All of these characters submitted are really over the top. Just because I made it freeform doesn't mean I wanted 'lawl so randumb XD' characters.

Can I make my character an attractive fiend? That's the only way Charm will work if I change my character around.
08-20-2013, 02:15 AM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2013 02:16 AM by MasterBlade.)
Player's Username: MasterBlade
Name: Ted Busson (The Grey Bishop)
Appearance and Personality: Father Busson's mutations from the psychic storm left his body with a rather demonic apperance. Grey, lightly-haired skin, horns like a devil, claws like a wolf, hooves like a goat, and teeth like a shark. Ted hides these features under a large, flowing robe, with horns filed every now and then to fit under a hooded cloak. That isn't to say the guise is perfect; muffled clopping still comes from unfitting shoes, and the hood can only hide so much of the face.

Personality-wise, Ted is a very downhearted sort of man. The trials of the age have left him struggling to cope with both the changes of the world and himself. That isn't to say he's given up; perhaps his fiercest effort is given when something threatens to take what he has left. Regret can be a powerful force.

History: Ted Busson was chaplain to a local church when the psychic apocalypse struck. Perhaps it was his strong will from holy practice that saved him, but when the storm mutated the entire convent into fiends Ted was left with his mind relatively in-tact. He was quick to find, however, that this left him exiled by both the human survivors and the fiends he shared his appearance with. Donning the title of "The Gray Bishop", he donned a cloak and became a wanderer, trying to find a human settlement he could find solace in, where the fighting spirit of survivors could inspire him to move past the loss of a world.

Comfort: Reading. When the world goes into chaos, the comfort of a simple book can do wonders. It can inspire hope, teach new things. Ted reads, however, because a book is a world far away from the one around it. Not so much for the knowledge, but for the escape.
Hurt: Loss. In this world of chaos, Ted has lost a good many things. People he loved, home and shelter. It has caused him to cling onto few things out of fear of losing them. And to the few things he keeps, he fights ferociously to prevent them from being lost like the others. In a world of few comforts, it hurts when things simply disappear.

TRAITS:
Psychic(3)
Fiendish Appearance(-1)
Fiend Negotiation(1)

SKILLS:
Telekinesis 2 (3)- Floating objects around with the mind. Higher levels means greater lifting force, control, and the ability to lift more objects at the same time.

STARTING ITEMS:
One cannot be hurt when one has nothing to lose.
(although starting with a bible as a fluff item would be cool)

(08-20-2013 02:13 AM)ICantGiveCredit Wrote:  Can I make my character an attractive fiend?

You really don't know what a fiend is do you?
08-20-2013, 02:23 AM
(08-20-2013 02:15 AM)MasterBlade Wrote:  
(08-20-2013 02:13 AM)ICantGiveCredit Wrote:  Can I make my character an attractive fiend?

You really don't know what a fiend is do you?

No? I never participated in Rufus' older stronghold game on mspa
08-20-2013, 02:31 AM
Username: Elzipper7
Name: Ken
Appearance and Personality: Only about waist high to most adults, Ken is easily distinguished by his Scruffy blonde hair and big blue eyes, as well as his favourite orange shirt, blue shorts and red shoes.
History: He'd lived a normal life, up until that day. His dad worked in the morning and played with him in the afternoon, his mum was able to make the best pan cakes without even looking! She was a side-kick. Ken wanted to be a side-kick too, until all of the side-kicks became bad guys... Even his mum... His arm still hurts...

Comfort: Candy! A little bit of a sweet tooth isn't a bad thing; his dad told him so! As such, Ken will take any opportunity to snack on any sweet he finds. As long as it's not dirty; mum says he'll get a tummy-ache if he eats dirty food.

Hurt: Monsters. Every child is afraid of the boogey-man. Ken is no exception. And, while mutants won't hesitate to tear him limb from tiny limb, Chances are that Ken will freeze in his tracks.

Traits:
(+ve) Young: Not everyone is as small or adventurous as you, and all of the best stuff is hidden away! You just have to be a big kid and not be afraid of the dark.
(-ve) Young: Ken's afraid of the dark. There are monsters in there! And lacking the capabilities to fully comprehend his surroundings is a frightful thing indeed. Are you afraid of the dark? You should be.

Skills:
Innocent (Lv. 1): 'Why is there sauce on the ground?' Looks like a lack of comprehension is sometimes a good thing? Most scenes that would make adults shudder make Ken look on in naught but curiosity. As such, he's less stressed out by gruesome or traumatic sights.

Master crawler (Lv. 1): Having become quite adept at moving through low spaces at high speeds has proven to beneficial! Ken can not only move faster while crawling, but he is better at manoeuvring, too.

Starting equipment:
Walkie talkie (-1): He's still waiting for his dad to call him...
Hammer (-2): 'Always be prepared.' Ken's prepared! Even if it's a little big for him still...

All good?
08-20-2013, 03:44 AM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2013 03:44 AM by MasterBlade.)
(08-20-2013 02:31 AM)Elzipper7 Wrote:  Age: 7

VERY BAD IDEA

Trust me from experience that you do not want a pre-teen character in a Rufus game. This is /really/ not the best environment for them. Trust me from experience.
08-20-2013, 08:07 AM
(08-20-2013 03:44 AM)MasterBlade Wrote:  
(08-20-2013 02:31 AM)Elzipper7 Wrote:  Age: 7

VERY BAD IDEA

Trust me from experience that you do not want a pre-teen character in a Rufus game. This is /really/ not the best environment for them. Trust me from experience.

This. But I actually liked Elzipper7's character- it was pretty good for a child character. But I don't see the child being put to much use for the survivors.

Anyway would like some more realistic and less silly characters! Anyone who hasn't signed up and wants to should.
08-20-2013, 01:03 PM (This post was last modified: 08-21-2013 10:12 AM by Discord The Hedgehog.)
Player's Username: Discord The Hedgehog
Name: Kuro
Appearance: Kuro has scraggly, medium length, black hair. His eyes are purple in colour. He has really pale white-ish skin, and wears blue jeans, a white t-shirt and a black long coat kinda thing with a hood. He's kinda on the scrawny side, skinny, lean, average height.
Personality: Kuro is really socially awkward and hates being in large groups of people. His anti-social behavior stems from kids constantly picking on him as he grew up. He prefers to be left alone when ever possible and will occasionally stutter on words. However, when on his own he is able to take decent care of himself.
History: Kuro was your typical shut in growing up, pale skin, picked on by all of his classmates, prefering to stick to hiding in his dark room by himself. Outside of that he had a fairly normal life, a nice loving family who cared for him, and were worried by all the time he spent locked up in his room, however that all changed when the psychic storms ripped the world apart. He lost his family and home, but still prefered to be by himself in dark areas. He also learnt he had the ability to psychically levitate things, but not everything, infact it was just dead organic things, like corpses. He took to using this to fling corpses around as a way of trying to scare others off, or use said flinging of corpses to distract, intercept fiends. It's not uncomin for him to try and carry around a corpse so he can hurl it around later.
Comfort: being alone, the dark
Hurt: large groups of people, talking to large groups of people.
TRAITS
Psychic (3)
The sun is to bright (-1) Spending so much time alone in his room in the dark back before the psychic storms, has made his eyes fairly sensitive to the light, often making it harder for him to see
Anti-Social (-1) Kuro's life has made it really hard to speak to groups of people, heck, even speaking to him one on one usually wont get much out of him.

SKILLS
Dead organic material focused telekinesis II (3) (Levitating dead organic material, like bodies. right now, it's really more like just being able to throw them with his mind)

Starting Items:
Pocket knife (2)
08-20-2013, 03:37 PM
The only peoples' characters that are acceptable thus far are MasterBlade and SupahKiven.

I'd like at least 2-3 more before the game starts. If you have already applied feel free to edit your old character. If you haven't applied yet but are curious I encourage you to post an application.
08-20-2013, 04:14 PM
I think you should explain what is wrong with Elzipper's and Discord's characters - especially the former, as you said you actually liked the app.
08-20-2013, 04:26 PM
(08-20-2013 04:14 PM)Palamedes Wrote:  I think you should explain what is wrong with Elzipper's and Discord's characters - especially the former, as you said you actually liked the app.

They are childern.

I said I liked Elzipper's app because it was especially good for a kid character. But this is a game where the characters will be fighting quite a bit and experiencing all kinds of awful stuff. This also occurs months after the apocalypse. Sorry to say but I doubt any children that young could survive on their own.

Also Discord's app was still a kid and denied AND because the psychic power was ridiculous. "Elemental Manipulation" is not a psychic-esque ability.
08-20-2013, 04:37 PM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2013 04:38 PM by Kocel.)
Alright, sorry, Rufus. The setting seemed somewhat light-hearted and I remembered at least one of your previous Stronghold games having a goofy professor in its cast. I made changes to reflect the setting.

Also, Rufus, you're implying children can't survive horrible settings. Child soldiers in South Africa would probably disagree with you.
08-20-2013, 04:42 PM
I have edited my post with a Real Character.
08-20-2013, 04:43 PM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2013 07:28 PM by Pagan.)
Player's Username: Pagan
Name: "Slaughterhouse" (AKA Jerome l'Deus)
Appearance and Personality: Tall and broad shouldered, his frame is partly covered by his sleeveless trenchcoat. Tattoos and piercings cover his face, with many metal struds and bars stuck into his skin. Up his face and over his head are scars, cut into the pattern of the hide of a crocodile. Two rows of horns run down his back, and down a thick muscular tail that peeks out from his trench coat, the spikes at it's tip being more like bumps than horns. Sleeves of ink cover his ripped muscles, the tattooed and red skin tight with beef, blood vessels constantly visible across his skin. His solid black eyes are covered by mirrored shades, and the blackness of his eyes are deep, with many faces reflecting from them. He wears a white muscle shirt and camo BDU pants, tucked into his equally surplus combat boots. He has several metal rings on each clawed hand. On each palm he has an un-sensing eye, identical to the ones on his face, but without any phantom reflections in them.
History: Prior to the apocalypse, Jerome was already a badass, at least in his mind. He had spent much money making his body horrible to look at, getting all the hair on his head electrolyzed off so he could get the scars and art on his head without any complications. When the apocalypse struck, he found himself blessed with psychic capabilities, and repeatedly practiced cutting with his mind. However, this strength came with a price, his body changing to be less human. He grabbed his bad-ass longsword trusty - Hammer? - and went out to start a gang or something. Kick some ass. Get some ladies and make a harem. First off, he's got to get one of those strongholds and some people to help maintain it.

Comfort: Appearing Powerful
Hurt: Flying Bugs, Small Bugs, really just bugs

TRAITS Psychic (-3)
Hot Headed (+1) (Oddly enough "Slaughterhouse" is more prone to fighting than flying when conflict comes knocking. Even when outnumbered, he will fight anyone that stands in his way.)
Fiendish Appearance (+1)

SKILLS
Psychic Slice (2) (Cutting things with his mind. As strong as you are willing to let the power be per level.)

STARTING ITEMS
Hammer

Working Name: Anarkismo
08-20-2013, 04:48 PM
(08-20-2013 04:37 PM)Kocel Wrote:  Alright, sorry, Rufus. The setting seemed somewhat light-hearted and I remembered at least one of your previous Stronghold games having a goofy professor in its cast. I made changes to reflect the setting.

Also, Rufus, you're implying children can't survive horrible settings. Child soldiers in South Africa would probably disagree with you.

Well maybe I should have put that it was a little bit more serious in my opening post, that was my mistake then.

Also great! I actually really liked your psychic ability, it was just the rest of the character that I didn't like. It's great now, totally acceptable.

And Child Soldiers have people to order them around and get them food and water. And they aren't fighting psychic mutants anyway :P

(08-20-2013 12:09 AM)ICantGiveCredit Wrote:  Real Character
-snip-

Looks much better; but where is the thing that gives him Comfort?

And I'm guessing both of his skills are psychic skills, correct? Because throwing something and making it return like that isn't really possible, but it is with mind powers, of course.

(08-20-2013 04:43 PM)Pagan Wrote:  Possibly a reservation, possibly not.

Just post a sheet, I don't care too much about who posted first or whatever.

Ok now we got 4ish characters that are pretty good. We could start pretty soon but I want to give people just a little bit more time in case they want to make any changes or apply.
08-20-2013, 04:55 PM
Oh, and the child soldier stuff aside,

(08-20-2013 04:26 PM)Rufus Wrote:  "Elemental Manipulation" is not a psychic-esque ability.

I think you might want to rethink that because a lot of people might disagree.

Besides, "psychic powers" are often used to BS plenty of powers in fiction. It's mostly because most psychic stuff is made up wholesale off of whatever sounds cool.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of psychic powers. Hence why I went with playing an empath, a power which is really under-used. But there's not much basis in reality when it comes to that stuff.
08-20-2013, 04:56 PM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2013 05:01 PM by Palamedes.)
Tried to edit mine right now, I was kind of in the same boat as Kocel, sorry.

Also, son of a bitch Kocel I wanted to be an empath!
08-20-2013, 05:07 PM
(08-20-2013 04:55 PM)Kocel Wrote:  Oh, and the child soldier stuff aside,

(08-20-2013 04:26 PM)Rufus Wrote:  "Elemental Manipulation" is not a psychic-esque ability.

I think you might want to rethink that because a lot of people might disagree.

Besides, "psychic powers" are often used to BS plenty of powers in fiction. It's mostly because most psychic stuff is made up wholesale off of whatever sounds cool.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of psychic powers. Hence why I went with playing an empath, a power which is really under-used. But there's not much basis in reality when it comes to that stuff.

And those links are all very great powers you could choose to have. For a single skill. Ferrokinesis could be used to detect the composition of metal, how strong it is and its age, or perhaps detecting strong magnetic fields. Hydrokinesis could be used to purify water or create water from air moisture, also letting you see if water is safe to drink or its composition. These are great psychic powers. But those would be individual SKILLS- and not just 'Elemental Manipulation' as a blanket skill. Also I have a serious pet peeve about 'Elemental Magic' and shit like that. It just sounds stupid and juvenile to say your psychic power is "Earth, fire, and air bending!!11!!one!". It just doesn't fit in a world with psychics and not wizards.

And by my same pet peeve of elemental magic I don't want anyone applying with the ability to 'manipulate air, fire, earth, water, etc.' Having utility from those powers as I've said above and being able to create fire is fine- but I just don't want a psychic version of *element* bending or *element* magic. That's all I'm trying to say.
08-20-2013, 05:08 PM
Fixed
08-20-2013, 05:17 PM
Oh Rufus if there are any further problems with my app I'd like to know ahead of time, I'm hoping it's suitably fitting what you were hoping for now.
08-20-2013, 05:22 PM
(08-19-2013 07:26 PM)Palamedes Wrote:  Psychic - Control powers: though not powerful enough to fully control anything smarter than an animal, it can certainly cause problems for enemies and buff allies.

Having the 'Psychic' trait does not give you any Psychic skills. That would be a psychic skill. The Psychic trait only lets you have Psychic skills.

Oh, and putting this out there now- 'Manipulating/Stealing/Borrowing/Canceling/Copying' etc. Other psychic skills are abilites are not acceptable. Too much room for abuse and game breaking. Be creative!
08-20-2013, 05:24 PM
Ah okay, just noticed that other people were specifying already (Kocel and Credit). Nothing past that? I'd hate to get knocked out without knowing why :P.
08-20-2013, 05:43 PM
Well then- tomorrow. Tomorrow I'll go over everything again and clean everything up.

Until then:

Kocel
Palamedes
ICan'tGiveCredit
SupahKiven
MasterBlade

You are all accepted. Congratulations. For now please all choose a color of some kind for your characters; I will be using that color to highlight their names each update to make everything easier. And I expect MasterBlade to be Gray. Just saying.

Anyway- Tomorrow. See you then.
08-20-2013, 06:23 PM
Gray.
08-20-2013, 06:25 PM
Awww, MB you should've chosen Hot Pink for your colour.

08-20-2013, 06:26 PM
(08-20-2013 04:43 PM)Pagan Wrote:  Possibly a reservation, possibly not.

Oh and sorry Pagan, you can join up tomorrow too if I get a character sheet- or perhaps later down the line. Don't think I've ruled you out. Or anybody who was interested, for that matter.
08-20-2013, 06:29 PM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2013 06:31 PM by Pagan.)
Can I also be look like a fiend?

08-20-2013, 06:46 PM
(08-20-2013 06:29 PM)Pagan Wrote:  Can I also be look like a fiend?

Sure! Just try not to be too similar to MasterBlade. I want at least a little variety.
08-20-2013, 07:03 PM
How's that?

08-20-2013, 07:07 PM
Pretty good, I suppose. Remove the 'Normal Blade Slice' skill though, it's not needed to use the sword and I don't think you have enough points for it in total anyway. He's a little bit too 'combat focused' for me in some ways but I suppose we need at least one on the party like that. I'll accept it. (Tomorrow. It's way past my bedtime :P)
08-20-2013, 07:09 PM
So I noticed all the starting PCs and Pagan's implied character he's developing are all psychics...
08-20-2013, 07:13 PM
(08-20-2013 07:07 PM)Rufus Wrote:  Pretty good, I suppose. Remove the 'Normal Blade Slice' skill though, it's not needed to use the sword and I don't think you have enough points for it in total anyway. He's a little bit too 'combat focused' for me in some ways but I suppose we need at least one on the party like that. I'll accept it. (Tomorrow. It's way past my bedtime :P)

Well, I have enough points, I'm certain of this. I made sure. If I don't need it to use the sword, I can get another skill.

08-20-2013, 07:19 PM
(08-20-2013 07:13 PM)Pagan Wrote:  Well, I have enough points, I'm certain of this. I made sure. If I don't need it to use the sword, I can get another skill.

This is actually my fault; I should have made this more clear. It costs 3 points to start with a level 2 skill. (1 point for level 1, 2 for level 2). Look at MasterBlade's, he did his perfect.
08-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Right, right. I'm dumb.

08-21-2013, 12:08 AM
Dark Red (#800000)[/color]
08-21-2013, 01:14 AM
(08-20-2013 04:26 PM)Rufus Wrote:  Sorry to say but I doubt any children that young could survive on their own.

If this is the case then I'll retract my character application. You guys have fun with your super dark game. I'll go over here where there's no super side-kick mutants.
08-21-2013, 01:21 AM
Yellow
08-21-2013, 01:32 AM
Blue
08-21-2013, 01:43 AM
(08-20-2013 07:19 PM)Rufus Wrote:  
(08-20-2013 07:13 PM)Pagan Wrote:  Well, I have enough points, I'm certain of this. I made sure. If I don't need it to use the sword, I can get another skill.

This is actually my fault; I should have made this more clear. It costs 3 points to start with a level 2 skill. (1 point for level 1, 2 for level 2). Look at MasterBlade's, he did his perfect.

So since I have level 2 telekinesis over level 1, does that mean I can lift myself an inch above the ground to prevent clopping sounds from fiend parts? Whats the power scale between level 1 and 2?
08-21-2013, 08:27 AM
(08-21-2013 01:43 AM)MasterBlade Wrote:  So since I have level 2 telekinesis over level 1, does that mean I can lift myself an inch above the ground to prevent clopping sounds from fiend parts? Whats the power scale between level 1 and 2?

I'm going to say No to this one. Having a psychic skill called 'Telekinesis' is very broad, but what I will say is that it can be used to pick up objects and move things around psychically; that is too fine and focused of control for your rather general telekinetic powers. If you wanted to do something like that however you could totally make a skill like 'Autokinesis'; which would let you move your own body through your mental powers. This could make your footsteps quieter, stop bleeding from a wound by forcing the blood to not come out, reset a popped joint or broken bone- perhaps even making your punches and kicks stronger by pushing your arms or legs with your mind when you attack. These are just some ideas, but to answer your question; No.

And as for the power scale; Telekinesis 1 would be something like being able to move small objects like coins or papers around in the air easily, and being able to push and pull small to medium objects- like pulling a knife on the ground towards you or something like that. No guarantee that you'd catch it. At level 2 you can start throwing stones and bricks around with psychic powers, force-push people and pull the guns out of peoples hands (if they didn't have a good grip), things like that.
08-21-2013, 10:13 AM
Alright, I've updated my post as to try again
08-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Based on my skills, my type of telekinesis is obvious though, right?
08-21-2013, 11:47 AM
Kocel and Pagan still haven't posted a color yet.

(08-21-2013 10:13 AM)Discord The Hedgehog Wrote:  Alright, I've updated my post as to try again

Looks much better. Perhaps later on you can join.

(08-21-2013 10:20 AM)ICantGiveCredit Wrote:  Based on my skills, my type of telekinesis is obvious though, right?

Yeah- throwing and catching stuff.
08-21-2013, 01:17 PM
Trusty green.