Blood and Steam
08-24-2013, 02:23 PM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2014 08:59 AM by Demonsul.)
Blood and Steam
[Image: title.png]

This is the age of cannons and steam-propelled landships, of sabers and bayonets and gunpowder, of high-flying airships and daring pilots, of strange new sciences and clockwork inventions, of true individual grit and steel. It is a daring age, where intrepid adventure is born anew amidst the smoke of industry. The nations of the world are fractious and divided, and petty wars are common. There's always an opportunity for money to earn, people to fight, a world to explore.

[Image: empty.png]

It seems all the forum games I run and most of the ones I am a player of are naturally quite slow to progress over time. You know what isn't slow and won't be so difficult to run at the same time as them? An RPG. Let's have some fun (before it inevitably explodes horribly in my face)!

Application:
Player: Is you!
Name: What your character is primarily known by.
Appearance: What your character looks like.
Background: Where your character comes from. You could share their entire life story, or you could have a single, mysterious sentence. Or anything in between.
Advantages: Areas your character are notably above average in - perhaps also a weakness? I'll find a way to balance it, either way. Advantages can range from professional skills to starting material wealth and so on.
08-24-2013, 03:06 PM (This post was last modified: 08-24-2013 03:10 PM by Acolyte Doctor.)
RE: Blood and Steam
Player: Inva Elinvar

Appearance: Imagine an archetypical (or stereotypical) jungle explorer with like, a pith helmet and everything like that. Wears a fine cashmere scarf and a pelt of a previously deadly carnivorous mammal. Also, Pince-nez glasses. Never forget. Ethnicity ambiguous but won't stand out in New Delhi. Carries a hunting rifle and a machete. Oh, and a human skull.

Background: Previous member and archaeologist of an ill-fated expedition. Only survivor. How horribly tragic. Had to wo-man it out in cruel, cruel wild. Managed to meander back into civilization, but not sure if totally. I mean, she's still thinks the wilderness (and by extension, the universe) is out to get her. And she still talks to that goddamn skull. I mean shouldn't she get checked out by someone before she decides to cavort into adventure. Again.

Advantages: Archaeology. Wilderness survival. Improvisation. Acrobatics. How the first is related the latter three, we don't know. She won't explain. At all.
08-24-2013, 03:13 PM
Player: Cidellus

Name: Lord Godfrey Hellingmont

Appearance: A massive, burly bear of a man with a huge walrus mustache. He dresses quite formally when he can help it, and is incredibly strong. He carries his family sword (a bastard sword), as well as a one-shot pistol and a flask of good whiskey. He is rather gruff in his manner of speaking, but is quite the gentleman regardless. He is also very nationalistic.

Background: Lord Godfrey Hellingmont was born thirty years ago to the old Lord and Lady Hellingmont, and while he enjoyed a somewhat decent upbringing, his father's poor financial management led to the liquidation of the Hellingmont estate shortly after his death. Considering he was raised in a noble style, he had no idea how to make a decent living, so he decided to become an adventurer. It's been ten years since he started, and he's become quite competent at killing things. However, that's not exactly adventure. That's called killing highwaymen who try to mug you. He also learned that if he took their corpses into town, the lawmen would pay him money. Something about bounties.

BUT THAT'S NOT GODDAMN ADVENTURE! ABOUT GODDAMN TIME HE FOUND SOME REAL SOLID ADVENTURE! Man, he wished these things were laid out with more clarity!

Advantages: Lord Hellingmont is an incredibly able marksman, hunter, wrestler, and swordsman. However, he is incredibly poor at understanding any manner of modern technology. He thinks that Gatling guns are a coward's weapon, and believes that steam engines are just a phase. Everybody will go back to water and wind power eventually, right? As for material wealth, he has his sword, his pistol, a small amount of money, and a shoddy highwayman's rifle. He spent most of his bounty money on "adventurer's attire"...which are fine suits and well-fitted leather boots. He doesn't even have a horse, because priorities.
08-24-2013, 03:36 PM (This post was last modified: 08-24-2013 04:39 PM by Gatr.)
Player: Garuru
Name: Arnold Stimpetts (aka Old Man Train) and Train
Appearance: He has tired brown eyes deep set in a chiselled and completely bald face. He has surprisingly few wrinkles for his age, and speaking of his age, that is a total mystery, as he refuses to tell anyone. Some say he's immortal. For all anyone knows, he could be. He has a pretty intense tan and calloused hands. He is usually clad in hideous blue and white overalls with a fraying white shirt underneath. He also has a permanent scowl.

His train is a rusty old Model 4 look-alike, but it works very well. It has several clumsy brass patches in many places, but it is by no means inferior to any of those newfangled passenger trains. Or so he insists. It is surprisingly versatile for a train, even boasting the ability to leave its rails and become a landship. Arnold thinks it looks dumb that way, though. Also it's pretty hazardous to the train's health.

Background: Arnold doesn't have much of a backstory, really. He was borne to an accounting family, and he had always held a fascination with trains growing up. So he became a train engineer. He worked hard, and was content to never rise above his position, despite his parents' complaints. A while back, he built his own train, and has cared for it dearly ever since. He now wanders the wastelands, travelling the world. He's kind of famous for being mysterious.

Advantages: Arnold: Geography, engineering, and being cranky. He's all bark and no bite, though, grudgingly allowing any wayfarers asylum on his train. I guess if he's survived the rough wilderness for this long, he may have a few tricks up his sleeve. Gun-related, perhaps.

Train: Fast, energy-efficient, and surprisingly comfortable. It can also leave its rails and become a landship but a train without tracks is just silly so forget it. It is a mechanical marvel, even if it is admittedly rather weak towards enemy landship attacks. There's something odd about it though. Hmm. I wonder what.

[Image: sig.gif]
08-24-2013, 03:43 PM
Player: Is me! (SupahKiven)

Name: Molly Arrnet (aka Maintenance Molly)

Appearance: A perky young girl with a short black hair and brown eyes. Wears some sort of yellow, plastic hat-like object on her head. Wears simple clothes like cloth shirts and burlap pants that are often stained with oil and grease. Has a metal box containing tools and parts and a collapsible bench strapped to her back. She also has a clockwork pistol in a holster on her hip.

Background: Molly has worked with her dad in his shop for as long as she can remember. He taught her how to build machines and weapons out of gears and levers and what not. Her dad also taught her how to shoot a pistol, in case danger arose. But only to use it if she was threatened. 'Never shoot first', he would say, 'because then the gods will be disappointed in you, and that's never a good thing.' That's alright though, because Molly never had to shoot things. She just fixed things. And that was fine with her. She got really good at it too. Her friends (oh okay. Friend) called her 'Maintenance Molly'. She usually makes supply runs to the nearby town for her father, as he's often too busy with complicated projects to be able to run them himself. Usually these errands go fine. Usually.

Advantages: Construction and maintenance of clockwork weaponry and machines including pistols, rifles, and turrets. Also carries around a repair kit (duh, how else does she repair stuff) as well as portable workbench on her back. Is proficient with pistols.
08-24-2013, 04:12 PM (This post was last modified: 08-24-2013 11:02 PM by Pagan.)
Player: Pagan
Name: Mieczysław Zielinski "Meck" (because nobody could pronounce his name)
Appearance: Fit, but not meaty, toned and athletic from the life of a skirate. His blonde hair reaches to between his shoulders and is tied back. He shaves most his facial hair into a Van Dyke. He wears a trimmed white blouse, a green leather vest open over it. Several belts hang at his hips, a couple black-powder pistols, a powder horn, a bag of shot, two cutlasses, and his coin purse hanging from them at various points. The coin purse rarely has more than a few *lowest form of currency* in it at a time. His breath smells of grog, even if he is sober, and his teeth are more metal and ivory than his own bone. He wears a pair of brown plus-sixes, tucked into his black cavalier boots. A large green chevalier hat sits atop his head, a single green feather coming from it's side.
Background: Once a skirate, Mieczysław had it all... Ok, ok really. But he had booze, women, and money to pay for the previous two. He had a crew who looked up to him... Ok, not really. They all hated him, and then kicked him off at the next port (skirate code). He heard that the world was filled with treasures, at a bar, and decided that he should be the one with those treasures! First... A map!
Advantages: As a skirate, he had to be good at a few things. Rope swinging, jumping, brawling, sword play, brawling, rigging, and not shooting the wrong people. He is also a pretty decent navigator, and is able to hold his liquor. Unfortunately, he is bad with money, prone to gamble and spend it all. He also knows that other people are good at some things, so he'll pretend to be good at those things, like finding traps with his nose, or talking to irritated natives, or cooking, or solving puzzles. Shhh, it's a secret.

Working Name: Anarkismo
08-24-2013, 04:16 PM (This post was last modified: 08-24-2013 04:21 PM by ICan'tGiveCredit.)
Player: ICan'tGiveCredit
Name: Royce Mallgan
Appearance: An apparition. Amber in color. Has blood all over his dorsal side. Some see him. Some don't. It depends. On him.

He has a mop of black hair which appears more like dark orange. Has a ghostly tail, though has been seen to walk on two legs... made out of bloodied gears.

His clothing is... "dry". If he let you touch it, your fingers would curl up a bit. Gravity affects it and it is plaid, criss-crossed with streaks of blood and sepia lines against a yellow background.

Background: Whirring. Guttural sounds. Death from all around. Grinding. Clicking. Screaming.

Advantages: Disappearing from everyone's sight (for a specified time) if necessary. Being able to interact with all types of machinery not including guns. Can modify machinery in the most miraculous ways. Can instill Nightmares (victim must have slept, and not "passed out") Insanity (victim must be awake) and Random Good Things for everything in between (particularly strong if victim is drunk). Can talk, choosing which people hear what, though people may think the person to whom he is talking is insane and "talking to himself". Message is apparent, no matter the language. Holds no possessions. Well he can't really. Maybe while he's working on a machine.
08-24-2013, 05:36 PM
Going to make an app tomorrow when I don't have to be up early.
08-24-2013, 09:58 PM (This post was last modified: 08-24-2013 10:07 PM by Galloglasses.)
Player: Is Galloglasses!

Name: Artoym Putinovich Bogdan, Grand Prince of Nigdegrad, Bowyer and a hundred other things besides.

Appearance: A massive man with powerful upper body strength and permanent cheerful demeanour, Artoym is in possession of the most glorious of beards, and dresses warmly in layered clothing designed to give him both protection and mobility and a large grey Ushanka. He carries around two dueling pistols a large hunting rifle and an oversized two handed sword he nicked from his father's room before he left.

Background: Artoym was the son of a well to do noble family in his home nation, thanks to the wonderful mess that was their politics he is technically the holder of over a hundred minor and titular titles and three major ones. Also thanks to the recent mess of politics since the regency took over, not a single one of them gave him anything he could actually do, as powers of the nobility were constrained after the Czarina's death. All the tax that is supposed to go to him goes straight to the capital and government officials manage the entirety of his estate.

So Artoym did what came naturally.

He took all of his family's private savings, and some of the more expensive odds and ends in his ancestral home, liquidatED them and took the cash to go adventuring just like great heroes uncle used to tell him about! Turns out this was fortunate as the systematic depowering of the nobles was part of a plot to kill all the high nobility and establish a revolutionary government, Artoym, fleeing when he did before the hammer fell, is now the last Grand Prince his home country can look forward too and his government is eager to find and kill him.

He does not know any of this.

BOL'SHOY!
[Image: brilliant.jpg]

Advantages: Is rich! Is Russian! A capable swordsman, a decent shot and fucking legendary with an axe.

However, every time he gets his hands on an axe, it mysteriously disappears. This saddens him.
08-24-2013, 10:31 PM
I'm going to make an App for this!
08-25-2013, 12:24 AM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2013 07:54 AM by Bramzter.)
Player: Bramzter!
Name: Oscar Von Zwarth und Weidergriffen
Appearance: A lanky old fellow, He is very tall and slouches a bit, He is almost always covered in soot and wears an aviator cap, A gas-mask and a work apron filled with scrap metal and tools and large working gloves, Making him utterly anonymous and utterly utterly muffled. Has an assortment of tools inducing a wrench, a mallet and a spanner. He also possess a musket. His skin is burned and bandaged...if he removes his gasmask it reveals a heavily scarred bandaged and burned face

Background: Oscar Von Zwarth, Mechanic, Inventor...Thief... started his infamous career as a investor and creator in the airship industry while it was still in its infancy. His enthusiasm for the 'ships that sailed the sky's' was quickly noted by his employer who quickly found the man quite skilled in his field and they quickly bonded with talks and plans for grand vessels in the skies..however Oscar had an other plan in mind.. When the time was right he stole the plans for a functional airship from his colleague intending to get the honor of flying the first airship for himself alone.

He and a crew of hired help worked for months on the airship prototype, using the original plan as a base for their.. adjustments until he finally spread the word that his airship was finished, He quickly gather some relative fame, A lot of influential people attended the first flight of 'The Icarus' the first airship.. And the fist journey had gone off without a hitch. they arrived at the fist city for a rest stop and set off toward the second destination. However fate had other things in store for them.

The flight was remembered as one of the most horrific disasters in aviation history.. the flight of The Icarus met a fiery end.. Oscar was presumed to be dead according to all reports.. the truth however was that he survived.. locked into a charred engineer's suit, a gas-mask adorned to his face..to hide whats underneath. the burned man was alive.. and forgotten by all..

Oscar had a new chance to start again.

Advantages: Captain of Mechanical Renown: Is very good with vehicles, Having repaired and piloted a airship in his short-lived career.
Jury Rigging: Can make repairs from almost absolutely nothing, but the overall quality of the repaired item drops.
Fumbling warrior: His rather pathetic body is not suited for combat at all, He has to keep his range or bust.
Powder Ganger: It never gets old when something blows up! Oscar is quite skilled with gunpowder, be it Guns or Bombs.
Old Shame: Avoids City's and Airship docks out of a deep feeling of guilt and shame.

Theme:

08-25-2013, 01:22 AM (This post was last modified: 08-25-2013 01:59 AM by Raptarion.)
Player: Raptarion
Name: Elizabeth Fletcher (May or may not be an alias)
Appearance: A woman with short brunette hair. Often wears a wig that makes her hair seem longer. Wears a beige dress with a more practical pair of shorts underneath the skirt. The skirt is easily removed to allow more more ease of movement at a moments notice.
Background:
The airship arrived at the dock just like any other. Maybe the landing was a bit bumpy, but the dock workers made sure nothing was damaged. A young lass came down the plank onto the docks, calm as could be.
"Excuse me. Could I get some help?" She asked. Concern tinting the edge of her voice.
"What ya need ma'am?" One of the workers asked.
"Well... the engine appears to have caught fire."
"WHAT?!"

The group of workers ran into the ship to put out the fire. Once the crisis had been averted they returned to the new arrival.
"You put the fire out? Oh that's WONDERFUL news. I would hate for the ship to have broken down or... or worse, for the fire to spread and hurt anyone!" Her mouth made an "O" of horror at the thought which she covered with her hand. The mere thought seemed to make her weak at the knees.
"Well. No need to worry anymore ma'am." One of the workers said, tipping his cap.

"Hey." One worker whispered. To another.
"Yeah?" He replied.
"Something seem really off to you about all this?"
"What do ya mean?"
"Well... where are the rest of the crew. I mean... there's no way she managed to fly this thing for very long without any help. This thing looks like it would need at least six crew to fly without any troubles."
"Well the engine WAS on fire. It think that counts as trouble."
"I don't know man. Still seems really-"
"...LUNCH!" The woman exclaimed.
"Huh?" One of the whispering men asked. Apparently the lady had been talking to another of the workers while they were whispering.
"That's how I'll repay you guys. I'll buy you all lunch. Right now."
"Uh... our shift doesn't end for more than an hour."
"Well that's no good. Where's your boss?"

The men pointed to an office near the edge of the docks. Before long, the young lady was talking to a man with receding hair and a beard that wend down to his groin.

"No." The man said outright.
"Oh come on. I need to repay these people."
"Well repay them when their shift is over. I can't just let some of the men off their shift early willy nilly."
"Then just let them all off."
"What?!"
"Look. This shift is over in about an hour right?"
"Yeah... your point?"
"Well, I had a look around. It looks like a slow day right? Why not let all the guys off early to go to lunch. You could call it... an executive business decision. To boost moral!"
"Miss. We can't just leave the docks unattended for an hour."
"Oh relax. Nothing's going to happen."
"What if a ship comes in while we're gone?"
"If I see a ship coming, I'll come running to get you guys."
"...I don't know."
"Trust me. A big surprise party like this for the men? It shows you appreciate the workers. Workers who feel appreciated by their boss, like their jobs more. Workers who like their jobs more, work harder."
"...fine. I'll treat the boys to lunch."

The boss and the workers of the shift left for lunch that day. The young lass was waving from her ship with a positively radiant smile.

The boss would return to find that ship gone.

Complains soon came in from the other ships in the dock that engine parts had been stolen.
Advantages:
Airship pilot- Elizabeth can pilot an airship extraordinarily well. She even has a better chance of keeping the ship airborne in a storm.
Airship upkeep- Elizabeth can do the work of two when it comes to the upkeep of an airship.
Airship engineer- Give her two broken engines and the proper tools, and she'll somehow give you three working engines... "Just don't ask where I got the parts for the third engine. Also, it's probably best of we get out of here. Now."
Silver tongue- There's something about Elizabeth that makes you trust her.
You wouldn't hit little old me would you?- Elizabeth holds herself in such a way that people have trouble perceiving her as a threat. So long as she isn't openly hostile, enemies are unlikely to target her, and she can, with luck, move through a fight unmolested.
Not who you're looking for- Elizabeth is not a master of disguise, but she's not a slouch either.
Disadvantages:
How do I gun?- Elizabeth can not reload, fix, or fire a gun. She is just as likely to hit an ally or herself as she is to hit an enemy.

Note: The background may suggest I start out with an airship, but that's up to the GM. Anything could have happened between that event and the start of the game.
Edit: Added one more advantage.

Space is warped and time is bendable.
08-25-2013, 08:48 AM
Player: Is you!
Name:Lt. Wallace Comley
Appearance: A posh, noble man of the line. As a diligent military officer he is almost always seen in his blue navy uniform, decorated in medals and tassels from his years of service. His hair is brown, and whatever isn't covered by his officer's hat is gelled back. His face is constantly neutral, showing no adversity to those that confront him.
Background: Lt. Comley serves as an officer in the local Sky Navy, leading a small squadron of loyal empire men. Having been raised under the constant threat of sky pirates and abusers of technological prowess, Wallace trained as a soldier to cut back against the threats to his homeland. Comley's squadron focuses on raiders and vagabonds, being sent to outmaneuver nationless vigilantes that proove a threat to the general populace.
Advantages: What makes Lt. Comley's division so effective is not a matter of arms, but how they are used. A natural-born tactician, he plans battles several steps ahead of the action, leading his men to victory against some of the more adverse villains of the sky. On top of that, Wallace is rather skilled in clockwork pistol weaponry; though traditionally used as a means of decoration Wallace can do more damage with his officer's flintlock than a bulky musket. Its all in the aim, and years of practice against moving targets in the skies have made it near-impossible for him to miss.

Physically speaking, however, he's pretty much a huge weenie. Can't even deal with the knockback of a rifle, nevermind use a sword in his defense. But that's what the goons are for; let the grunts do the hard work while staying a safe distance. If they die in the process, just request new ones. Better them than him.

(In summary)
(+ Tactical Knowledge)
(+ Leadership Skill)
(+ Small Arms Marksman)
(- Physically Weak)
(- Lacking in Compassion)
08-25-2013, 04:26 PM
Player: <Insert Username Here>
Name: Shade
Appearance: medium, scraggly, black hair, blue eyes, blue jeans, black shirt with a picture of a fireball on it.
Background: Who knows, shade sure doesn't. He woke up the other day with amnesia, and that's about it. Heck, Shade isn't even his real name, it's just what he chose to go by after waking up without a memory.
Advantages: Learning. Be it history, fighting, building, or just about anything else, since, being a blank slate, he is willing to try and learn just about anything. He's is pretty good at doing so too, since he has no preferences, or predetermined judgement on most things.
08-25-2013, 08:00 PM
(Joke Aplication)
Player: Bramzter
Name: Major Tom
Appearance: A man in a flight-suit and helmet bearing the markings of a county's early flight program. This suit and helmet obscures his whole body.

Background: Ground control to major Tom
Ground control to major Tom
Check your rudder wheel and put your helmet on
(Ten) Ground control (Nine) to major Tom (Eight)
(Seven, six) Commencing countdown (Five), engines on (Four)
(Three, two) Check ignition (One) and may gods (Liftoff) love be with you

This is ground control to major Tom, you've really made the grade
And the papers want to know whose shirts you wear
Now it's time to leave the capsule if you dare

This is major Tom to ground control, I'm stepping through the door
And I'm floating in a most peculiar way
And the skies look very different today
Here am I sitting in a tin can far above the world
The endless skies are blue and there's nothing I can do

Though I'm past one hundred thousand miles, I'm feeling very still
And I think my airship knows which way to go
Tell my wife I love her very much, she knows
Ground control to major Tom, your engine's dead, there's something wrong
Can you hear me, major Tom?
Can you...
Here am I sitting in my tin can far above the clouds
The endless skies are blue and there's nothing I can do..

Advantages:
Ground control to major Tom Has a two(now one)-way communication system toward ground control, allowing him to listen to what is happening on the ground
Mythical Figure His Airship is likened to be the flying dutchman among the airships, Giving him almost a mythical reputation and infamy
Detached He has been stuck in the skies for a long.. long..long time.
08-26-2013, 03:00 AM
I will probably be closing signups later today due to there being easily sufficient interest, but people who have only shown interest but haven't posted an app can still have time to put forward a reserve or whatever. Here are my current thoughts.

Pharmacy Wrote:Inva Elinvar
Absolutely fine and dandy.

Cidellus Wrote:Lord Godfrey Hellingmont
Mr. Jack-Of-All-Combat seems fine enough.

Garuru Wrote:Arnold Stimpetts
Totally fine. Expect problems with using public rail system with a private train, though.

SupahKiven Wrote:Molly Arrnet
You're good to go.

Pagan Wrote:Mieczysław Zielinski "Meck"
Character is fine. I'm interested to see where you go with this. Bear in mind that either just you or your former crew would probably be the only people who called themselves 'skirates'.

ICan'tGiveCredit Wrote:Royce Mallgan
Alright, here's a rejected app. Is that... a ghost? I'm afraid you can't play a ghost. Nor a dragon or a jinn or any of that stuff. Live humans only, I am afraid.

Galloglasses Wrote:Artoym Putinovich Bogdan
Prince Moneybags, accidental enemy of the revolution! Seems alright.

Bramzter Wrote:Oscar Von Zwarth und Weidergriffen
Seems a fair character. Can't expect he'll do well diplomatically with that burned face under the mask.

Raptarion Wrote:"Elizabeth Fletcher"
Looks alright, but you've got a lot of advantages stacked up. Don't expect to start with an airship on top of all that, and it might not be as solid a set of advantages as you hope.

Masterblade Wrote:Lt. Wallace Comley
It would be let in as it currently stands, but bear in mind that you can't be both a godlike admiral and a godlike aim. Both skills would likely both be less amazing than you hope. 'Leadership skills' is going to have to be something you RP, but likewise, 'lacking in compassion' would also just be a character trait, so those two would probably balance out.

Discord the Hedgehog Wrote:Shade
Rejected on the grounds of not enough information.

Bramzter Wrote:Major Tom
This man is now a myth. :D
08-26-2013, 05:14 AM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2013 05:15 AM by MasterBlade.)
(08-26-2013 03:00 AM)Demonsul Wrote:  
Masterblade Wrote:Lt. Wallace Comley
It would be let in as it currently stands, but bear in mind that you can't be both a godlike admiral and a godlike aim. Both skills would likely both be less amazing than you hope.

Assuming Godlike Admiral skills covers the piloting of an airship or commanding an NPC fleet, lets let that be the greater skill and move marksmanship with a pistol as the lesser trait. If I'm not going to be getting mooks to command and its just me and the PCs, however, I would prefer Marksman to be the better skill.

Choose which one would work best with your intended setting. I'd rather have one grand trait and a lesser buff than two ok'ish abilities.
08-26-2013, 05:41 AM
It's possible that you might get mooks to command, but it wouldn't be an immediate thing. Command wouldn't apply to piloting an airship either, but it would apply to coordinating a squadron.
08-26-2013, 05:59 AM
These are technically the same character with small differences. Tell me which one you think is better. [/quote]

Player: Purple Walrus
Name: The Bonze Baron (Formally known as Philip Boulder)
Appearance: A dashing young man with a curly moustache and a defined chin. Well, until the accident that is. He is now a brain in a Bonze clockwork automaton that looks like a man. The automaton looks like it's wearing a copper jacket and scarf, complete with aviator cap and goggles. None of these are removable or even move, since they are part of the automaton. His face is of a man with a moustache with a fixed plane expression. His eyes are blue lights that flicker when he talks. He can press a button on the side of his neck that opens the face showing the brain behind.

Background: Philip Boulder was one of the best pilots the world had ever seen. He had fought for his country in many wars and later joined the phoenix project, a government funded program for the design and testing of experimental aircrafts. He would test all sorts of weird and strange flying machines. Everything was going well for Philip until one fateful day. He was testing out a new type of aircraft, it was small, fast and could easily out manoeuvre bigger airships. He had only just off the ground when whole thing exploded into a ball of flames. Everyone thought he died in the blast and as a result left him for dead. All except Hank Nelson who was one of the engineers and a close friend of Philip. Hank pulled Philip from the wreckage and back to his lab. There he set to work on rebuilding Philip with bonze. Hank tried his best to save much of his friend as possibly, but alas that was not much.

When Philip final awoke a few weeks later to find his new body, he let out a wail of horror. He was nothing more than a brain in a warped image of man. Hank explained that the test craft had just suddenly exploded without any reason. Philip knew what he was saying, the craft had been sabotaged. He threw aside his past life and the country that had left him for dead and started anew. He became The Bonze Baron a sky bounty hunter for higher. He would find the people who did this to him and repay the favour.

Advantages:

Man Of Metal: Bonze Baron can be fixed and upgraded if there is a person with high enough engining.

A Man Of The Sky: Is a good pilot.

I Love A Good Dog Fight: Bonze Baron is really good in sky combat.

Disadvantages:

Cold Face: He can't express this feelings through his face, as a result people don't know how he's feeling.

Better In The Sky: Isn't really agile when he is not in an aircraft.
(In summery, a Tin man with human brain who can fly a plane.)

Name: The Bonze Baron (Formally known as Philip Boulder)
Appearance: A dashing young man with a curly moustache and a defined chin. Well, until the accident. He is now broke and disfigured man, held together in a bonze suit. The suit is pretty baggy and looks heavy to wear. It has a bonze dome helmet that covers his whole head. This makes it that you can't see his face, but he can see you. There is a button on the side of the helmet that opens it up to show his horrific meaty skeleton face. On his back is large metal back pack. His left arm and torso is replaced with clockwork. His left hand is a big claw.

Background:
Philip Boulder the best pilots the world had ever seen. He had fought for his country in many wars and was a hero. He was later invited to joined the phoenix project, a government funded program for the design and testing of experimental aircrafts. He would test all sorts of weird and strange flying . Everything was going well for Philip until one fateful day. He was testing out a pack that had the power of an airship which could lift the user off the ground (a jet pack). He had only gotten two feet off the ground when the whole thing exploded into a ball of flames. Everyone thought he died in the blast and as a result left him for dead. All except Hank Nelson who was one of the engineers and a close friend of Philip. Hank pulled Philip from the wreckage and back to his lab. There he set to work on rebuilding him. Hank tried his best to save much of his friend as possibly.

When Philip final awoke a few weeks later to find his new body, he let out a roar of pain and sadness. He was nothing more than a freak, a monster. Hank explained that the test pack had just suddenly exploded without any reason. Philip knew what he was saying, the it had been sabotaged. He threw aside his past life and the country that had left him for dead, and started anew. He became The Bonze Baron, a mercenary for higher. He hopes to one day to find the men who did this to him and have revenge.

Advantages:

Rocketeer: Has a jet pack.

It Happened To Me Once: Knows a lot about explosives.

Rage: Can goes into a fit of rage, dealing random amounts of damage to enemies.

THE CAWL!: Has a big fuck off claw.

Disadvantages:

Look At Me!: Has zero charm and people try to avoid him.

Guys Wait Up: Really fucking slow at moving.
(In summery, he is a diver with a flame thrower jet-pack)
08-26-2013, 07:33 AM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2013 07:33 AM by Demonsul.)
Both are rejected, one for being a robot and one for having a jet pack. Sorry.
08-26-2013, 07:45 AM (This post was last modified: 08-28-2013 11:34 AM by Purple Walrus.)
Okay heres one without a jet-pack or robot.
Name: The Bronze Baron (Formally known as Philip Boulder)
Appearance: A dashing young man with a curly moustache and a defined chin. Well, until the accident. He is now broke and disfigured man, held together in a bronze suit. The suit is pretty baggy and looks heavy to wear. Without the suit he would die. It has a brown metal gas mask helmet that covers his whole head. There is a button on the side of the helmet that opens it to show his horrific meaty skeleton face. His left arm and torso is replaced with bonze. His left hand is a simple claw that uses to pilot his plane/craft.

Background:
Philip Boulder the best pilots the world had ever seen. He had fought for his country in many wars and was a hero. He was later invited to joined the phoenix project, a government funded program for the design and testing of experimental aircrafts. He would test all sorts of weird and strange flying. Everything was going well for Philip until one fateful day. He was testing out a pack that had the power of an airship which could lift the user off the ground. He had only gotten two feet off the ground when the whole thing exploded into a ball of flames. Everyone thought he died in the blast and as a result left him for dead. All except Hank Nelson who was one of the engineers and a close friend of Philip. Hank pulled Philip from the wreckage and back to his lab. There he set to work on rebuilding him. Hank tried his best to save much of his friend as possibly.

When Philip final awoke a few weeks later to find his new body, he let out a roar of pain and sadness. He was nothing more than a freak, a monster. Hank explained that the test pack had just suddenly exploded without any reason. Philip knew what he was saying, the it had been sabotaged. He threw aside his past life and the country that had left him for dead, and started anew. He became The Bonze Baron, a sky mercenary for higher. He would find the people who did this to him and repay the favour.

Advantages:

I Love A Good Dog Fight: Bronze Baron is really good in sky combat.

Rage: Goes into a fit of rage, dealing random amounts of damage to enemies.

A Man Of The Sky: Is a good pilot.

Disadvantages:

Look At Me!: Has zero charm and people try to avoid him.

Guys Wait Up: Really fucking slow at moving.

I need this to live!: Would die if he takes off his suit.
08-26-2013, 07:50 AM
Yay, Our characters can be horrible crash survivor buddies.
08-26-2013, 07:53 AM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2013 07:54 AM by Demonsul.)
You're still part robot, there. Unless you intend the arm to be a largely functionless prosthetic, you should probably tone down how much you want to be a machine.
08-26-2013, 08:06 AM
Okay now it's edited. It's more prosthetic now.
08-26-2013, 08:20 AM
Accepted. Now I'll get started on the first post...
08-26-2013, 11:56 AM
Hey can people join later? I just got back and noticed you've closed signups ;-;
08-26-2013, 12:14 PM
A Short History (aka Some Elements of Backstory)
Atlas of Cities
Atlas of Nations
Atlas of Travel
Your atlas will be updated as you travel the world and discover new lands. Lands you have not traveled only show terrain and major cities.

The age of steam brought many new innovations to the world. Power could be drawn from coal, bringing with it industry and motive force unlike ever seen before. First the Rimward Empire, from its capital Colossus, launched iron ships propelled by steam turbines. The city of Meridio's inventors adapted the design, and the first landships were born, bearing forth tons of armor and artillery across their landscapes. It was the northern Archduchy of Schland that was home to air travel - the first airship was invented amidst their southern peaks.

The peoples of the central lands, united under the Triple Monarchy of the Ludzie, were latecomers to steam power. Landships were of little use to them, as their hills and forests did not support them easily - their cavalry remains the dominant force in their lands. They were quick to develop airships, however, to match the Archduchy's innovation. Their military airship fleet is the largest in the world, and civilian airships are most common in their lands. They maintain a sizable colonial empire beyond their home continent.

To the east is the realm of the Rimward Empire, spread across many islands. It is technologically advanced, being the home of the steam engine itself, though airships are an imported invention which is struggling to catch on. It possesses the largest fleet in the world, and substantial colonial holdings which often feud with those of the Triple Monarchy.

North of the mountains is a very different story. The Archduchy of Schland, despite being the home of airship design, has a relatively small airship fleet. They do possess a sizable armada of landships and naval ironclads, however, and are a world center of culture and wealth, or so they would have you believe. They are the suzerain of the north, and the smaller states of the region look up to them. Though possessing a small number of colonies, their focus is entirely continental.

The mountains themselves hold mysterious nations. Isolationist and remote, only the relatively recent advances in airship technology have opened them up to the international scene, and they jealously guard their secrets.

To the west is Indepartat, capital of the Izolaire Kingdom. Their weak industry has often had them viewed as backwards, and historically they have had many wars with the surrounding states, most notably the Archduchy. Recently, however, peace and cooperation have become the norm, and they have started to industrialize and develop.

Further east are the diminutive Aktí Empire, the sizable Republic of Cigli States, and the distant revolutionary Socialist People's Republic of Zemlykhor beyond the icy peaks - formerly the Tsardom of Zemlykhor, it has largely been ignored amongst the more advanced nations.

To the south of the bay are the Solarrano nations, such as the great city-states of Naigilo and Ricoso. Individually weak, they are known for their wealth. Individually they have many separate aspects - technologies, militaries, a few even hold colonies - but foreigners tend to lump them all into one group.

Beyond them, in the far south, are the Crowns. These petty kingdoms - the most prominent being that of Meridio - are often in competition with one another. The arid plains that make up their sparsely-populated landscape are perfect for landship warfare, and nowhere else will you find vessels as massive or complex. Well, almost nowhere - their frequent wars with the desert-dwellers have spread the technology to them, and the great cities of the desert field their own landships of almost equal power.

The past years have been peaceful as the balance of power remained stable enough, but for how long will this peace hold? - that is the question.

The city of Palatschinka in northeast Schland was famous for two things - deep coal mines and pancakes. Long ago, before the revolution brought about by steam power, its great contribution to the world had been the supposed invention of pancakes. Amidst its smoky streets, numerous pancake houses stood testament to the fact, mostly clustered around the main train station. After all, now people could travel the world quickly and cheaply with steam power, tourism was booming.

In fact, there were so many that they stopped being just about the pancakes. Although most were little more than cheap tourist traps, some were fronts for crime or more salacious businesses, some existed solely to abuse legal loopholes on alcohol sale, and a few elitists even took pride in producing excellent pancakes. In a city whose cultural heritage rested on a single foodstuff, pancake houses were the height of inconspicuousness.

And so, a group of individuals were gathering in an otherwise unmarked pancake house. They weren't there for the pancakes. The pancake house was actually a known gathering-place for mercenaries - a convenient place to go if you were looking for someone to do a job for you. Due to the dubious nature of most of the jobs on offer, it was a quiet place, not widely known. Today, however, a larger crowd than usual seemed to be gathering...

Read your introductory PMs before replying.

People can continue to sign up to join partway through, but their time-of-entry might be restricted. Contact me for info should you want to join while the game is in progress.
08-26-2013, 12:39 PM
Elizabeth sighed as she counted out a handful of coins over and over again. She seemed more than a little out of place among some of the other mercenaries present.
And so I posted right before going to sleep... don't expect a reaction from Ms. Fletcher any time soon if you talk to her.

Space is warped and time is bendable.
08-26-2013, 12:44 PM
Meck sat at a table in the centre of the pancake house, looking for work. He even had his hat on, making it obvious he wasn't intent on staying, even though he was going to stay there until approached.

08-26-2013, 02:11 PM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2013 02:11 PM by Cidellus.)
"Hmph," says Lord Hellingmont, adjusting his monocle. "Quite an establishment, yes."

Godfrey crossed his hands and sat with a straight posture. His voice was deep and gruff, and his mustache bristled when he spoke.

"Lord Godfrey Hellingmont, at your service."
08-26-2013, 02:44 PM
The entrance of the pancake house creaked open, bearing passage to a man bearing the dress uniform of a foreign military. He eyed around the room, scanning the crowd within. Brutes, mercs, beggars, lowlives. Much too below his formal standard; though he said nothing the smirk on his face displayed his judging in full.

He approached a table and hailed for a servant to take his order. Unbenounced to him, the girl counting her cash on the side was not in fact the owner of the establishment...
08-26-2013, 02:46 PM
Do you not see my magnificent hat? It is truly magnificent.

08-26-2013, 03:23 PM
Inva kicks open the door. Combat rolls in, under the table.

She takes out the skull and presses it against her cheek. "It seems the area is all clear, Alnico."
08-26-2013, 03:38 PM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2013 03:40 PM by MasterBlade.)
(Which table? The one with the interesting people or the one with the guy who is already judging you for the ridiculous entrance?)
08-26-2013, 03:42 PM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2013 03:42 PM by Gatr.)
Old Man Train sat in a corner, smoking a cigar, chair leaned against the wall. Quite an odd sort around here, and a larger number than normal. He wondered if something had happened nearby. Moreover, he wondered whether these people would need a ride. Some people even looked ready to up and leave. He stood up and casually strode towards the door, paying the strange skull lady no mind. Her sort of people were everywhere, anyways. Finally, he crossed his arms and glanced up, making piercing eye contact with a few people, some of whom flinched.

[Image: sig.gif]
08-26-2013, 03:44 PM
"Crikey, Alnico! The voices are whispering again! I knew I shouldn't had been racist to those savages!"

Inva proceeds to steal a napkin and pen and write out a hasty log. The log is pretty much illegible to everyone but her because you know, ravings. And all that.

After that, she proceeds to combat roll to under another table.
08-26-2013, 03:52 PM
"Hmph."

Godfrey readjusts his monocle and looks at the skull-lady with the slightly-tilded head of mild confusion.
08-26-2013, 03:58 PM
Inva notices Godfrey staring at her and presses her face back to the skull.

"There's a vaguely humanoid creature in the distance. It seems to be an anthropomorphic walrus of some sort. I will go see if he is friendly and hopefully not poisonous. God, I hate poison."

Inva proceeds to sort of dart from table to table until she reaches Godfrey.

She pokes her head over the edge of the table to glance at the burly man. She tips her hat and smiles. "Hello, mate. Good weather, isn't it?"
08-26-2013, 03:59 PM
"Quite, my good lady," he nods, his mustache bristling as he speaks. "Have a seat, if you wish."

He gets up to pull a seat back for her.
08-26-2013, 04:03 PM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2013 04:04 PM by Acolyte Doctor.)
Inva stares at the chair with utmost suspicion and proceeds to tap at the seat with the machete to see if there is any traps. There probably isn't but you can never be too sure can you. Traps can be everywhere. Annnnywhere. Annnnnnywheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeereeeee.

Mostly satisfied, she puts her butt into the trap. Er, chair. She glances at Godfrey.

"Hello. I am Inva. This is Alnico." She places him on the table. "He doesn't talk much."

Alnico is a skull.
08-26-2013, 04:07 PM (This post was last modified: 08-28-2013 05:23 PM by Cidellus.)
"Lord Godfrey Hellingmont," he says with a bow. He then takes a seat and looks at the skull. "I wouldn't think so, for he is a skull. Was its prior inhabitant talkative, my good lady?"
08-26-2013, 04:12 PM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2013 04:15 PM by Acolyte Doctor.)
"Oh, yes, yes, yes. He was my Professor, actually. You can't really teach without. Uh. Talking."

She takes another napkin and proceeds to write another illegible entry, which goes the same way as the last one. Into her pocket.

"Yeah. Talking. Say this is a PANCAKE house right? PANCAKES. Can I have some. PANCAKES."

Inva proceeds to stare at a waitress, who proceeds to get weirded out.
08-26-2013, 04:27 PM
Godfrey turns to look at the waitress.

"Mmph, yes. I shall take an order of these...pancakes as well, my good woman," nodded Godfrey.

He would, of course, pay for this Inva woman's pancakes. He had offered her a seat, afterall!
08-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Player: Is you! Me'sa Kocel!

Name: Zweeger Van Wafeldood

Appearance: A stout, muscular man, with a large curled blonde mustache, twinkling blue eyes, and a large, red nose. He wears two large leather boots, regular canvas pants, think smithing gloves, and a batter-stained apron over a simple white shirt.

Background: Zweeger comes from a long and PROUD line of Waffle-smiths. His great ancestor, Eyzermann Van Wafeldood, thought that the recent invention of his neighbor could be refined. Said neighbor had, of course, invented the pancake. Eyzermann, being a smith by trade, made a large iron press, two handles, two long rods, and two slabs of metal attached by a hinge. He filled it with batter, held it over flame, and... The waffle was born.

Of course, these events are solely composed by the claim of the Wafeldoods. Some have argued that the inventor of the pancake lived in an isolated area and thus Eyzermann's claim was bogus, but, regardless, the smith and his descendants dedicated their lives to producing both waffle irons and waffles, claiming them to be highly superior in architecture to the common pancake. After all, a pancake had no wells to hold syrup! A pancake had no delicious crisp to it! The pancake was the inferior dish in the eyes of the Wafeldoods, but for some reason, their specialty had yet to catch on.

And so, Zweeger, the latest inheritor of the Wafeldood legacy, had perfected his family's art with the intention to take it abroad. If the fools of Palatschinka would not see the superiority of the Waffle, then surely someone, someplace else, would.

Advantages:
Waffle-making: There is no one better than Zweeger. No one.

Smithing: Zweeger has made a few of his own Waffle-Irons, and he knows this craft well.

Brute Strength: Since waffles don't sell well, Zweeger has mostly subsisted off of smith works. This has resulted in him having the arms and physique of a smith.

Arrogant: Zweeger will argue for waffles and his family's legacy above all else. This attitude has also bled into other areas of his life; Zweeger has issues accepting he's wrong in most anything.

Proud Tradesman: Zweeger has about seven different Waffle Irons and is dedicated to making more if he can. They have the follow brands on them: "Wafel", "ZvW", a castle, a crown, and one that makes waffles in the shape of what was meant to be a rabbit's head. Unfortunately, it looks more like the head of a jackass.
08-26-2013, 04:38 PM
The anthropomorphic walrus is attempting a Faustian pancake bargain with her! Inva's left eye twitched at the potential implications of the consequences. Not only money. But also her SOUL.

"I'm chuffed that you are offering to pay but really, I can pay for it. You don't need to be. So. Er. Kind."
08-26-2013, 04:42 PM
"Oh, nonsense!" he said, his smile somewhat visible behind his enormous mustache. "I'd be delighted to pay for your pancakes, truly."
08-26-2013, 04:51 PM
"YOU DO NOT WANT THESE PANCAKES."

A large, bald, mustachioed man is standing beside Inva and Godfrey's table.

"Pancakes, they are... Inferior. Horrible fare for two esteemed patrons as yourselves."

He held his head up high in pride.

"I am the great Wafflesmith known as Zweeger Van Wafeldood, and it is my duty, my DIVINE PRIVILEGE, to rescue poor, innocuous diners such as yourselves from consuming such... MEDIOCRE food. Bah, it hurts me to even call it 'food'. So unrefined."
08-26-2013, 05:00 PM
Inva stares at Zweeger before picking up the skull and shoving it against her face. Again.

She didn't break eye contact with Zweeger.

"Alnico, I believe that our contractor had summoned a fellow anthropomorphic walrus. I am not sure if his intentions are benevolent."
08-26-2013, 05:01 PM
Faustian pancake bargains. How did I miss this. Lurking.
08-26-2013, 05:08 PM
Godfrey looks from the waitress to the madman.

"Lord Godfrey Hellingmont," Godfrey said, introducing himself to the seemingly-crazed waffle chef. "And if I may be so bold, could you explain how exactly pancakes are inferior to waffles?"