Discussion Spy Hunt (1/12)
10-06-2013, 07:56 AM (This post was last modified: 03-24-2015 08:05 AM by amosmyn.)
Spy Hunt (1/12)
Spy Hunt: Never Trust a Commie

Spy Hunt is a open setup game that I've been working on. I've decided to post everything I have so far and open it up to sign ups. Please voice if anything is unclear or looks unbalanced. Or if you think any role just isn't going to be very fun. My current concerns with the setup is that there are too many kills for a 12 player game and that it is Commie (mafia) sided. Also, please do not ask for observer chat until we actually have 12 people signed up to play and preferably some replacements too.

Factions and Win Conditions

Patriots: The town players. Any role can be a patriot. 9 out of 12 players are Patriots. Patriots win when there are no Commies left and lose if there are more or an equal amount of Commies during the start of day. Even with killing roles left this is still a Patriots loss and a Commie win. Patriots gain access to Angel Chat on non-obliteration

Commies: The mafia players. Any role can be a Commie. 3 out of 12 players are Commies. The 3 Commies know each other and share a private chat. When a Commie dies the chat is closed. A new chat will be given to the remaining living Commies. The dead Commie will be given access to both Angel and Demon chat unless they self obliterated. Commies win when there are an equal or greater amount of Commies than Patriots at the start of day. Killing roles do not change this. Commies lose if all Commies are dead. The Commie kill is made with a gun and the Commies have to choose one Commie to make the kill.

Maplehoof: Everyone is dead, no one wins.

Mechanics

Obliteration: When a player is obliterated he is killed. No protection or extra lives can protect that player. They then skip all dead chats and go straight to observer chat. The Commies have 3 obliteration chances that aren't tied to any one player. Any number of players can be attempted to be obliterated with only one shot. No matter what with every obliteration that one shot will be expended. However, for every missed obliteration an additional shot will be expended. All successful matches will be obliterated. With only one shot left there is no reason not to try and match every Patriot player. Can only obliterate at night.

Angels: Made up of both dead scum and town. Chooses who learns the check result. That person does not know who was targeted.

Demons: Made up of only dead Commies. Has to choose who is checked each night. Can't choose the same person twice. If there are no dead Commies them the living Commies have to choose who is checked. If Commies self obliterate it does not count as dead Commies.

Secret Files: One player accidentally and unknowingly ended up with secret files. The files swap alignment to checks. It makes Commies look too important to be Commie spies and Patriots look like Commies because they have information they shouldn't have. Inside of the files is a bomb that can be triggered by Remote Detonator. The Secret Files can go to a Patriot or Commie Player.

The Lynch: Every player has the ability to vote as many times as they want during the day. If at any time a person gets for than 50% of the living player's votes then that player is lynched and killed. After a lynch the day ends. If the day ends before a player is lynched then no one is lynched unless there are enough dead line votes. It is possible to place a vote that will only count the second the day ends.

Roles

Clerk: One player starts with the Secret Files. This is known only to the clerk. Once per night the clerk can inform one player of who has the Secret Files.

Helicopter Pilot: May protect or cop check each night. Can't target himself.

The Medium: Chooses who learns the demon's check target each night. Can't choose himself.

Time Bomb: If killed after night 2 takes out the person who killed him or a person of his choice from his lynch wagon.

Poisoner: Can shoot a player once per game at night. They die at the end of the following day. They learn that they have been poisoned.

Mad Scientist: Can revive a dead player once per game during the night. They will be unable to vote and only last for that next day.

Remote Detonator: The Remote Detonator can't have the Secret Files. The Remote Detonator has the ability to blow up the Secret Files (and the player holding them) during any day or night. This ends the day. If it's night it can't be stopped by protection. If they are already dead or the bomb is disarmed this does nothing. Can not be triggered until day 2.

Bulletproof: Can not be killed by bullets. The kill failure is not announced or told privately to anyone.

Secret Agent: Can slip out of any non-obliteration death one time except for the lynch.

Paranoid Agent: Will shoot anyone who tries to kill him. Can still be killed by Remote Detonator and Time Bomb.

Demolitions Expert: Can visit one player per night including himself. Any bombs this player has are disarmed for the rest of the game. This effects Time Bomb and Remote Detonator's target but not Remote Detonator.

Intern: Takes the role of the first player to die. If the role is Time Bomb the detonation clock is reset to Day 3 regardless of when the first death happened. Any bombs that have been disarmed will stay disarmed. Any bombs that have exploded will stay exploded. The Secret Files will be passed on as well but only if Remote Detonator hasn't blown them up.

Rules

1. Don't be a dick
2. Don't be a dick.
3. Don't be a dick.
4. See rules one through three.
5. No cyphers or codes.

Playerlist

1. Mister Visceral

Replacement List

Currently nobody
10-06-2013, 08:08 AM
RE: Spy Hunt
Whats the point of the clerk being able to choose someone before D1?
10-06-2013, 08:09 AM
(10-06-2013 08:08 AM)amosmyn Wrote:  Whats the point of the clerk being able to choose someone before D1?

I meant it as a one shot. Now that I think about it though the whole game probably works better if he chooses one person per night. Thanks
10-06-2013, 08:14 AM
What happens if the detonator gets thw files?
10-06-2013, 08:16 AM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2013 08:18 AM by Deceptive.)
(10-06-2013 08:14 AM)amosmyn Wrote:  What happens if the detonator gets thw files?

He can't, it's in the first line of his role.

Also it just occurred to me that I should specify that the Commie kill is with a gun.
10-06-2013, 08:41 AM
And youre saying that the clerk picks the recipient? Theres a contradiction there.
10-06-2013, 09:27 AM
No, the player with the secret files is random. The clerk picks someone to learn who has the secret files.
10-06-2013, 02:05 PM
ME PUT ME IN THE HUNT

"We love eloquence for its own sake, and not for any truth which it may utter, or any heroism it may inspire."
-Henry David Thoreau
10-06-2013, 04:10 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2013 04:17 PM by amosmyn.)
RE: Spy Hunt (1/12)
Explain how the Mad Scientist assists scum? I cant really see a world whre its anything but a burden.

Theres a typo in the clerks description.

Also the paranoid agent: what if theres a lynch?

Im going to be really blunt here but i think you should close signups until the setup is properly looked over/worded clearly because as is it doesnt have the refinement necessary to be run smoothly.
10-06-2013, 09:15 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2013 09:20 PM by Deceptive.)
Don't worry, I don't think enough people are going to sign up anyways. These forums are kinda dead.

Oh, and paranoid agent dies to a lynch normally.

Maybe allowing the dead person to vote would fix Mad Scientist for scum.
10-07-2013, 03:42 AM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2013 03:43 AM by amosmyn.)
Part of the problem with the Mad scientist, which confused me, was that apparently 'they' will last only for the day. I.e. Theyre both dead at the end of the day without votes.

You also havent specified what the hell an angel or demon check is, plus the whole fact that apparently both the angels and the medium determine who gets the info from the check. Seperately.
10-07-2013, 03:46 AM
Also im assuming the point of scumheli is to not give town a cop/doc?
10-07-2013, 07:01 AM
The check is a cop check.

Scumheli gives scum a doc against vigs and a cop to locate the secret files.

Mad Scientist revives the person anonymously. There is no reason why the Mad Scientist should die from reviving.
10-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Its not enough to just tell me this. You need to completely revise how your game is written in the OP in order to be clear and concise. Its not your players responsibility to figure out how to play your game. They should be like instructions.

Also your obliteration thing doesnt define what happens when you run out of oblit chances.
11-12-2013, 11:15 AM
I'm confused on the difference between an obliteration kill and a non-obliteration kill.

11-13-2013, 02:53 AM
Non-obliteration kill is a regular mafia kill (mafiosos decide to kill personX, so they bold "kill personX" in their QT, personX is the target of a kill attempt that night, if the person is not being protected or has no other means to prevent it, they die) while an obliteration requires a role match (mafiosos decide to obliterate person as roleY, so they bold "obliterate personX as roleY" if they're the role, they die bypassing all protection, and in this case if they're not that role the mafia loses two obliteration shots, I think. That part probably needs more explaining, but going by how it worked in other games it's kind of like that.)

Btw, I would like to see this setup in working order if nothing else because Paranoid Agent is probably the closest thing to a granny I'll ever get a chance to play. Heck, I'll be willing to help as soon as my workload decreases a bit.
11-13-2013, 10:18 AM
Isn't the Paranoid Agent basically a PGO?

11-14-2013, 07:47 AM
(10-06-2013 09:15 PM)Deceptive Wrote:  Don't worry, I don't think enough people are going to sign up anyways. These forums are kinda dead.

Is that a joke? Amosmyn and Mirdini managed to get 36 players for a mafia game. Sure, the regular percentage of users are lurking..but..with 36 players, that means that there's quite a lot of Actually-Playing people.
11-25-2013, 01:16 PM
Sure, I'll play your hunt.
03-21-2014, 03:33 AM
Looks like fun

In
03-21-2014, 05:00 AM (This post was last modified: 03-21-2014 05:01 AM by Druplesnubb.)
Can you explain how Medic and the angels both choosing who learns the results of the check is supposed to work?

Also, If you're worried about too many kills going around or scum being too powerful, how about removing the oblit mechanic altogether? There doesn't seem to be a need for it since scum having the same potential roles as town already kills the massclaim tactic.

Also, also, having a combined cop and doc that can be on either team might swing the balance too heavily in favor of whichever team he ends up on.
03-21-2014, 05:23 AM
In

Don't stop clarifying the rules, but don't close sign-ups either.
03-21-2014, 05:38 AM
Mad Scientist could be changed to only revive the person in a QT only the Mad Scientist can see. Flavourwise it'd be a brain in a jar thing.

Gives scum the incentive of getting info they're not necessarilly going to share.
03-21-2014, 07:03 PM (This post was last modified: 03-21-2014 07:05 PM by AProcrastinatingWriter.)
speedchuck Wrote:In

Don't stop clarifying the rules, but don't close sign-ups either.

All of this. Including the part about being in.

Also, the rules as you have them written? I like the repetition of rule one, but other than that they leave soooooooooooooo much open. In fact, the way they're written sets up the game for ANARCHY MODE (PMs between players allowed, posting after you're dead and during the night, editing of posts) unless one presumes that this game is played like "normal" witch hunt. But there's nothing signifying that we should do that, and in addition, it's entirely possible (if not probable) that we're going to get someone new to the forums and this will be their first game, in which case they are going to have so many questions and accidentally break so many unwritten rules. The rules need to be written out completely or this...doesn't work.

Know I've hammered on about that for a while, but this does actually look fun, what you've got here. And again, I'd like to play.

[Image: g4osirL.jpg]
04-05-2014, 04:17 AM
Sadly I don't have time to run this right now. And I'm only going to get busier as the semester goes on. I won't be able to run this for a couple of months. In the meanwhile I can still balance and tweak it though, so feel free to give advice on that.
11-17-2014, 06:10 PM
Soo, uhh, is this dead?

It looks dead.

... I'd be willing to join if it's not dead, though! :D
11-18-2014, 07:14 PM
It's dead until the setup gets tweaked.
02-18-2016, 01:16 AM
i would totally make spy car mafia with a rogue sentient ai called the "super brain"
02-18-2016, 05:51 AM
This was dead for over a year until the thread got necro'd by a spambot.