Somnus
11-05-2013, 10:52 AM (This post was last modified: 11-13-2013 07:46 AM by Anomaly.)
Somnus
[Image: logo.png]

Now hiring!

If you are receiving this message, than congratulations! You may be only months away from experiencing the world of dreams as never before! That's right - the Oneiros Institute is now hiring test subjects for our new Somnus Project!

What is the Somnus Project?

The Somnus Project is a revolutionary system of shared dreaming. Test subjects will be placed in stasis pods, attuned specifically to their biology, and will mentally interface with each other in the exciting world of the subconscious. Have you ever dreamed? We hope so! If you have, then you are probably aware of the lack of memory that most species experience after waking up. But don't worry! Through a revolutionary and highly secret process, you will retain the full faculties of your conscious mind, and retain all memories of the time you spend in the dream.

Is it just for entertainment?

Not at all! Many uses for the Somnus Project have already been considered, and some are already in development. However, at this early testing phase, we believe that the technology is not quite ready yet. That's where you come in - we will ask you to perform a variety of tasks in the dream, under a number of constraints that we may apply. You will be allowed to spend time in the Sandbox as well - an unconstrained scenario that allows each of you nearly unlimited control over the dream.

What will be involved in the tasks?

We don't want to give away too much, but we would like to warn that some tasks may involve the appearance of danger. Any injury sustained in the dream will result in, at most, minor pain, regardless of the severity of the injury. In addition, dying in the dream will merely result in you waking up. However, those with medical conditions, including but not limited to severe anxiety attacks, heart conditions, or any sleeping disorders, should consult a doctor prior to applying. It may only be a dream, but it will seem real while you're there - safety first!

Great! How do I apply?

Application is simple - just complete the attached forms, and send them to us, either electronically or physically. You should hear back from us in 1-2 months. Assuming we have decided to accept you, then we will send a transport to your homeworld to pick you up, at no cost. You should expect to be at the Oneiros Institute for a month, so plan accordingly.

Note that, unfortunately, the limitations of our equipment will prevent certain individuals from applying. These mainly include artificial intelligences, as well as other inorganic life. A biological central nervous system is required in order to connect to our equipment, as is the ability to dream. Our apologies for the inconvenience.

- - - - -

An Introduction

Welcome to Somnus, an RPG-style game set in the world of the subconscious, where logic is scarce and everything may or may not want to kill you. Death is but a temporary inconvenience, although circumstances may change... Best not to get yourself killed, regardless.

Note that, outside of the dream, this game takes place in a futuristic science fiction setting, with tons of alien species and whatnot. You have a pretty large degree of freedom in designing your character, due to this. Note also that your abilities and such in the real world have very little to do with your abilities while dreaming, so it doesn't really require much justification for your 500-pound, musclebound pro wrestler to have the constitution of wet tissue paper in the dream. Go crazy.

Signups will be open for about a week. I will be accepting somewhere from 8-10 players at first. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

IRC channel:
#somnus on irc.esper.net
Alternatively, Mibbit link.

Character Creation

Stats

All stats start at 5, with a minimum of 1 and a maximum of 10. On character creation, 5 additional stat points can be assigned, and points may be freely moved from one attribute to another. They cannot be easily increased after character creation, and no stat points will be given on level-up.

Willpower: The strength of your mind. Improves the power of your close-range attacks in the dream, as well as your ability to carry and lift things. Related skills: Unarmed, Melee Weapons.

Imagination: Your affinity with the world of the dream. Improves your understanding of the dream, as well as your ability to affect it mentally. Related skills: Manifestation, Projection.

Potential: The speed of your mental processes. Improves your ability to react to things in the dream, in addition to granting your mental projection heightened dexterity. Related skills: Ranged Weapons, Acrobatics.

Stability: Your mind's resistance. Improves your defense against hazards in the dream, as well as your mental health and endurance. Related skills: Healing, Fortitude.

Socialization: Your attunement to the inhabitants of the dream. Makes dream inhabitants more likely to like you, and more likely to listen to you. Related skills: Diplomacy, Disguise.

Skills

All skills have a minimum value of 1 and a maximum of 100. The base value for each skill is three times the value of the corresponding stat, listed above: base skills range from 3 to 30. On character creation, two skills may be raised by 15 points each. Additional skill points will be awarded upon level-up, to be distributed freely. Note that these skill descriptions only give a general idea of what you can do - more information will be given with level-ups. You can also ask me.

Unarmed: The ability to clobber your enemies into an unrecognizable pulp, without any of those "weapons" to get in your way. Certain weapons, such as spiked gloves and such, still fall under "unarmed", and thus will not get in your way. As skill increases, your ability to fight unarmed increases, as well as the sheer power of your attacks - against your enemies or the environment itself.

Melee Weapons: Proficiency with anything stabby, slashy, bludgeony, etc. Basically, anything primarily close-range. Because this is a dream, you can use all types of melee weapons with equal proficiency. As skill increases, your weapon skills begin to render the laws of physics merely a suggestion as your fighting style grows increasingly improbable. At very low levels, you'll just hurt yourself. A lot.

Manifestation: Your ability to create and manipulate elements of the dream, limited not only by your imagination, but by the fatigue it causes, your skill level, and a variety of other things. Things such as weapons and armor that you create from nothing will be inherently inferior to those found in the dream world, though non-manifested items can be improved. Generally, the more complex the change to the dream is, the more tiring it is, and the higher the skill level necessary is. Below level 20, anything you manifest will probably be more-or-less shitty scribbles.

Projection: The ability to alter your self-image within the dream, from changing your hair color to turning into a dragon. Shifting is extremely tiring, but alterations are permanent. Does not allow you to heal yourself - damage inflicted on you will stay, regardless of form. The scale of self-alteration possible depends on skill level - at least level 20 is necessary for any visible alteration at all.

Ranged Weapons: Proficiency with anything you can shoot, throw, hurl, fire, and other various verbs. Improves your aim and decreases the chance of a terrible misfire. As with melee weapons, this increases your proficiency with all ranged weapons equally. At higher skill levels, you can do things with projectiles that shouldn't even be possible (e.g. curving bullets), and will be more efficient at disarming your enemies. Basically, improbable action hero skills.

Acrobatics: The ability to run and jump around like a lunatic. By no means limited to "gravity" or "physics in general". At higher levels, you begin to transcend what is physically possible for your species. At the highest levels, your acrobatic ability would put even Mario to shame.

Healing: The ability to repair your own mental projection, and, later, heal others as well. You can only heal minor wounds at lower levels, steadily progressing toward regenerating lost limbs and more. As a general rule of thumb, your ability to heal others lags about 20 skill points behind your ability to heal yourself. At high levels, you will even be able to enhance the functioning of your body and others.

Fortitude: The ability to defend yourself. At first, this increases the defense granted to you by armor and armor-type objects, and allows you to create small, temporary barriers every so often. As skill increases, your barriers grow larger, last longer, and can take more punishment, and you can also give temporary boosts to the armor and armor-type objects of others.

Diplomacy: Your conversational skills with dream denizens. Makes them more likely to help you, give you things, or at least not murder you immediately. The higher your level, the better your conversational skill - at extremely low levels you'll just blunder awkwardly through conversations, but at very high levels you may be able to convince dream inhabitants that even the most blatantly false things are true.

Disguise: As an alternative to talking, you can instead disguise yourself as another, or perhaps as nothing at all. Considerably less conspicuous than shapeshifting, and much more likely to get you into places where you honestly shouldn't be. As level increases, so does the extent of your disguising ability - from merely changing your clothes or a few facial features to disguising perfectly as anyone, regardless of species, to even disguising as inanimate object. Note that the disguises don't actually change your projection's form - just because you look like an incredibly muscle-bound man with eight arms doesn't mean you're any stronger, or that you can actually use all of those arms (unless you had that many to begin with).

- - - - -

Oneiros Institute
Somnus Project Application

Please completely fill out the following forms in order to complete your application. Improperly completed forms will not be considered, and are subject to deletion and/or incineration. Sample forms, notated with useful information, have been provided for your convenience.

Form PP-A-001: Personal Information

Name: Your name. If you require further information, please do not submit an application.

Species: Note that, though hundreds of species are known to be compatible with the Somnus Project, it is important that you note yours here for the proper calibration of our equipment. You may also attach a description of your species if you so desire, for our convenience. Remember that only organisms with both a proper nervous system and the ability to dream will be considered. Apologies for any inconvenience.

Sex: Please note your sex here, if applicable to your species here. Physiological differences between the sexes of many species are significant enough to require additional calibration in our equipment.

Age: Neurochemical shifts tend to happen with age in most species. Thus, for safety and calibration purposes, please denote your age here.

Self-Description: You may attach a photograph here, or, if photography is not available, briefly describe your appearance, biological oddities, etc. Note that this is largely for record-keeping: a medical examination will be performed should you pass the application process, and any inaccurate information will be corrected.

Psych Profile: Please describe yourself to the best of your ability. It will aid significantly in the application process. For example: you may describe events from your past, your personality, strengths, weaknesses, etc. It is important that we deem you psychologically fit for the process.

Form PP-A-002: Dream Aptitude

Note: You should already have completed our Dreamer Aptitude Test on our extranet site. If you have not done so, please do at once. Note the results below exactly. Failure to adhere to the given results may result in serious injury or death.

Stats
Willpower:
Imagination:
Potential:
Stability:
Socialization:

Skills
Unarmed:
Melee Weapons:
Manifestation:
Projection:
Ranged Weapons:
Acrobatics:
Healing:
Fortitude:
Diplomacy:
Disguise:

I hereby absolve the Oneiros Institute of all liability in the event of any injury or death related to the Somnus Project. Additionally, I understand that the information given in this application is entirely confidential, and will not be shared with any sources except under penalty of law. I have read, and will abide by, the Dreamers' Code of Conduct.

X_________________________________________
11-05-2013, 11:03 AM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2013 01:54 PM by FelixSparks.)
RE: Somnus
Name: Jin Mizano Zikala Motula (Motula is a term added onto the name of a married Xinatan)

Species: Um... I'm a Xinatan, of the Xinatis. We're humanoid, but we have these extra limbs, well, tentacles, that come from a few holes on our backs, and can act as extra arms. They don't have suction cups, we're not like squids or octopi, and the comparison is VERY rude.

Sex: Male, and again, we're like humanoids apart from the tentacles, so our reproductive organs work in a similar fashion. There are even halfbreeds back home on Fidanta, and they're pretty nice. Less tentacles though.

Age: 22 Earth Years. Fidanta uses the Earth Year system, since our physiology is so similar.

Self-Description: I stand at five feet seven inches in earth height, with silver eyes and dark green hair. I have six Holes on my back, each one housing a tentacle, which are the same color as my hair. I'm a bit skinny, but not without muscle. I think that should be enough....

Psych Profile: I'm not good with other people... I tend to hang back to myself, and avoid talking to others when possible. I'm just not good at it. I am decent at combat, and I have been known to be a bit overzealous when the promise of battle lies on the horizon.... I've been getting better at not "Flying off the Handle", as it's called... I don't like bullies... And uh... When I was in Education, our form of schooling, I lashed out and hurt some bullies pretty bad.... I haven't actually seen them since that day. As I got older I used my strength for others.... I'm not sure what else to write here, but I'm looking forward to working with your group should I get in!

Stats
Willpower: 7
Imagination: 7
Potential: 7
Stability: 6
Socialization: 3

Skills
Unarmed: 36
Melee Weapons: 21
Manifestation: 21
Projection: 36
Ranged Weapons: 21
Acrobatics: 21
Healing:18
Fortitude: 18
Diplomacy: 9
Disguise: 9

I hereby absolve the Oneiros Institute of all liability in the event of any injury or death related to the Somnus Project. Additionally, I understand that the information given in this application is entirely confidential, and will not be shared with any sources except under penalty of law. I have read, and will abide by, the Dreamers' Code of Conduct.

X_____ Jin Mizano ____________________________________
11-05-2013, 11:09 AM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2013 12:14 AM by Pagan.)
Oneiros Institute

Please completely fill out the following forms in order to complete your application. Improperly completed forms will not be considered, and are subject to deletion and/or incineration. Sample forms, notated with useful information, have been provided for your convenience.

Name: Ben Wilson

Species: Human(?)

Sex: Male

Self-Description:
[Image: white+suit.jpg]

Psych Profile:
Born into poverty, was bullied throughout all his school years. A compulsive liar, and extremely shallow, he puts on a mask around everyone, fleshing out his 'new' life as needed. He enjoys sweets, fears anything without a spine for arbitrary reasons, and enjoys music. He is good at acting, and sketching/drawing, but is bad at being patient, sticking to plans, and handling pressure.

I'm a hard worker, and am always up for a challenge. I enjoy working in groups and alone, and dislike finishing things late. I'm a team player, and will always put the task at hand before myself. My strengths include a healthy imagination, divergent thinking, problem solving, and getting along with others. My weaknesses are my tendency to over-work myself, and the amount I stress over the work others aren't doing, sometimes doing it myself so as to keep on time.

Note: You should already have completed our Dreamer Aptitude Test on our extranet site. If you have not done so, please do at once. Note the results below exactly. Failure to adhere to the given results may result in serious injury or death.

Stats
Willpower: 3
Imagination: 10
Potential: 4
Stability: 3
Socialization: 10

Skills
Unarmed: 9
Melee Weapons: 9
Manifestation: 30
Projection: 45
Ranged Weapons: 16
Acrobatics: 16
Healing: 9
Fortitude: 9
Diplomacy: 30
Disguise: 45

X_____Benjamin Wilson____

Working Name: Anarkismo
11-05-2013, 11:16 AM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2013 09:37 AM by Palamedes.)
Oh hell yes

(11-05-2013 10:52 AM)Anomaly Wrote:  Form PP-A-001: Personal Information

Name: Marissa Coolidge

Species: Human

Sex: Female

Self-Description: A short girl with long black hair and brown eyes, Marissa's most defining trait is in fact something she lacks - specifically her inability to use her legs. Cursed with a debilitating sickness that also makes her unable to exert herself in any major way (even if she could walk). She spends almost all of her time at home, and being confined to a wheelchair she's also pretty pale and weak.

Psych Profile: Being unable to do, well, really anything even remotely physical or exhausting, Marissa has had to rely on the wonders of her own mind. She almost always has her nose in a book, show, or video game, even when she's eating or talking to other people. A proficient multitasker, she has little problem managing multiple problems at once. However, she is not blind to her own deficiencies, and has crippling self-esteem issues. In addition she often gets caught up in her fictions and fantasies, forgetting that her miserable reality exists - to the point of violently lashing out at people who disturb her.

Stats
Willpower: 2
Potential: 8
Stability: 2
Socialization: 8

Skills
Unarmed: 6
Melee Weapons: 6
Manifestation: 45
Projection: 30
Ranged Weapons: 24
Acrobatics: 24
Healing: 6
Fortitude: 6
Diplomacy: 24
Disguise: 39

X_Marissa Coolidge____________________
11-05-2013, 11:23 AM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2013 01:42 PM by Acolyte Doctor.)

Name: Galena

Species: Outsider

Sex: Female. I swear.

Age: Oh Christ, I don't even know. I think she's late-adolescent.

Self-Description: Humungous, like ten feet tall. Ungodly skinny. Faster than you think - she just likes to take her time. Really goddamn heavy - her bones and blood are made of lead. Or at least some shiny-black metal equivalent. She is filled to the brim with it and often there is a patina of black dust on her. Somewhat humanoid. She looks pretty human except for the fact she covered in many many small eyes. It's kind of terrifying. And her mouth is full of black, black teeth.

Her terrifying appearance is cloaked by a retro-looking astronaut suit of some design. She is very reluctant to take off the suit, whether due to life-support, tradition, or just plain old stubbornness, we just can't tell. There is some vaguely Egyptian-inspired in its aesthetics. Otherwise, it's pretty damn alien. You know this spacefarer isn't from anywhere near, man.

Psych Profile: Most people assume she's the silent brooding type but that's because most people don't want to deal with her. After all, her appearance can be best described as "intimidating." In reality, she is fairly polite and considerate of others. A little chatty and can hold a bit of wit, although she has an air of obliviousness in her personality. Seemingly ignorant of the fact she is huge as fuck and no one else is. It is clear from the way she speaks that she is a thinking, scholarly type of person. Abeit ponderous and having a tendency to lose her head in the clouds.

Stats
Willpower: 8/10
Imagination: 3/10
Potential: 10/10
Stability: 8/10
Socialization: 1/10

Skills
Unarmed: 24
Melee Weapons: 24
Manifestation: 9
Projection: 9
Ranged Weapons: 30
Acrobatics: 45
Healing: 39
Fortitude: 24
Diplomacy: 3
Disguise: 3

[Image: signature.png]
11-05-2013, 12:39 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2013 12:52 PM by ICan'tGiveCredit.)
Delving into the mind of a highly confused old person.

Name: Linda Molver or "Nanna"

Species: Being. Or maybe not being? I'm not quite sure of my existence. How the hell am I writing to you anyway?

Sex: I bleed vacuums every month. Do women bleed those? I think I'm a woman.

Age: As old as yo mamma. Does yo momma exist though? What is "yo"? What is "mamma"? When were those words last recorded? You'll have to speak up, sonny.

Self-Description: She's an old lady. I think. I'm not sure if I'm even looking at her. She has her gray hair tied into a neat bun and is wearing one of those hawaiian shirts that men like to wear. Or is it a turtleneck. Maybe it's both? Do hawaiian turtlenecks even exist?

Her wrinkles are punctuated across her face and stop around her eyes, where her round glasses are located. It's strange, because she seems to squint a lot. Her face is kinda soft. Or is it the fact that it keeps fading in and out?

Psych Profile: A very kind, friendly woman. But she is sadly confused at things she sees around her, but this is only attributed to the fact that she doesn't believe she is supposed to exist, and thus, whether anything around her is supposed to exist, and is thus, uncertain of anything. Sometimes she can't even be sure she can get up to grab her medecine. She hasn't been sure about if it's good for her for, oh, about a century. She still has quite an imagination though, on those days where she thinks "fine, if I exist, then what if ___ exists too? What if I'm a gorilla? What if Newton was wrong?"

Linda also seems to be wise beyond her years which is saying something, considering how old she is. She can play chess pretty well, perhaps rivaling the skills of Judit Polgar. Linda seems to be very in tune with skill games, since she remembers how to play them, and thus they MUST exist, and so she does well in them.

Stats
Willpower: 2/10
Imagination: 10/10
Potential: 2/10
Stability: 6/10
Socialization: 10/10

Skills
Manifestation: 30 + 15
Projection: 30
Ranged Weapons: 6
Acrobatics: 6
Healing: 18
Fortitude: 18 + 15
Diplomacy: 30
Disguise: 30

[Image: nanna_by_icantgivecredit-d6t2w49.png]
11-05-2013, 12:53 PM
So is everyone just going to have 10 in imagination and 45 in manifestation?
11-05-2013, 01:01 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2013 01:02 PM by ICan'tGiveCredit.)
Well it wouldn't be any fun if any if the characters got out of control and decided to manifest SOMETHING DANGEROUS with no one out there to put out the fire.
11-05-2013, 01:06 PM
I have unarmed! And Manifest so I can make tentacle spikes. I'm a fighter!
11-05-2013, 01:13 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2013 10:16 AM by icanhasdonut.)
Did someone say not caring about manipulation??
Oneiros Institute Wrote:
- - - - -

Oneiros Institute

Name: Thysx Viranu
Species: Reyalian. A Reyalian is generally about the same as a human, except they have a blue hue to their hair, and they are about a foot taller than average humans. The hues of their hair separate them into a caste system. The lowest are the deep blue, and as it gets lighter and closer to human hair their rank increases.

Self-Description: Thysx is around 6' 9". Rather short for a Reyalian, his hair is also one of the rarer blue hues, with it being turquoise blue. This has put him in somewhere of the higher castes. Thysx currently wears a simple ceremonial robe, which is colored green to complement his hair. It is in a somewhat modest fashion, with it leading down to about the shins. His shoes are worn down, and he's overall slightly dirty. In his robe there are many pockets all containing small items, ranging from trinkets to bits of food(and possibly a few lockpicks).
Psych Profile : In my opinion, Thysx is unstable and very dangerous. His mood swings make him difficult to be with. Along with that, he shows a proficiency in thievery and a case of kleptomania. He clearly does not understand basic social standards and in my opinion, should not be allowed near the project at anytime. Thysx is a wonderful human being and should be sent with flying colors to this institution. He is the model of a perfect applicant and would never tamper with anything.

Stats
Willpower: 2
Imagination: 4
Potential: 10
Stability: 5
Socialization: 9

Skills
Manifestation: 12
Projection: 12
Acrobatics: 45 (+15)
Healing: 15
Fortitude: 15
Diplomacy: 42 (+15)
Disguise: 27

X____Thysx Viranu_________

dC Wrote:donut is A FILTHY TRAITOR unreliable
11-05-2013, 01:37 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2013 01:38 PM by Anomaly.)
By the way, if you have any specific questions, I've registered a Somnus IRC channel. #somnus, on irc.esper.net.

Mibbit link, if you prefer.

Also, Felix, I think what you want is Projection, not Manifestation. I didn't catch that when you asked about it earlier.
11-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Switched them! Really hoping I get in.
11-06-2013, 07:41 AM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2013 07:45 AM by ProfessorLizzard.)
Quote:
Oneiros Institute

Name: IGNATIO GATO

Species: Normal Human Man

Self-Description: Ignatio is a man average height. He is completely bald, and has a rather pointy grey beard. His hooked nose and narrow eyes give him a rather determined expression, as if he would be living in a world of Drama. He is extremely thin and frail.

Psych Profile: Ignatio values honor and justice above all. He dislikes losing, but if defeated honourable, he will accept his loss. He is an amazing cook, and is a fan of masked wrestlers (he doesn't watch wrestling, he just likes the comics about them).
He is very conscious about his weak muscles.

Stats
Willpower: 8
Imagination: 8
Potential: 5

Skills
Unarmed: 39
Melee Weapons: 24
Manifestation: 24
Projection: 24
Ranged Weapons: 15
Acrobatics: 15
Fortitude: 33

X___IGNATIUS_GATO______________________________

Based on an actual dream I had
11-06-2013, 11:02 AM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2013 08:54 AM by SupahKiven.)
Oneiros Institute

Name: Marcellus Felix

Species: Human

Age: Appears to be 29 earth years, claims to be at least 3000

Self-Description: A healthy human, standing at an even six feet tall. Is at the peak of physical fitness despite conditions suggesting otherwise. Has olive skin and sharp blue eyes. Subject wears a helm of Ancient Roman design, believed to be worn by high class soldiers.

Psych Profile: Claims to be a soldier serving under Julius Caesar, expert military commander. No documents exist indicating subject's placement in the Roman army. Was found in a hibernation-like state in a tomb buried near one of the great pyramids in Egypt with the remains of 3 other humans and was awoken onsite. Managed to kill three personnel before being subdued. Went missing shortly after being returned to a government facility and being incarcerated. Reappeared 20 years later in Cairo, Egypt before going into hiding. Whereabouts unknown. Studies pertaining to extraterrestrial involvement in early human ages authorized. (excerpt received from Marcellus, who stapled it onto the application.)

Acts very honor-bound, as well as being rather uptight, following rules to the letter. Respects those he sees as his superior, while often scorning those who don't.

Stats
Willpower: 9/10
Imagination: 2/10
Potential: 9/10
Stability: 7/10
Socialization: 3/10

Skills
Unarmed: 27
Melee Weapons: 27 + 15 = 42
Manifestation: 6
Projection: 6
Ranged Weapons: 27 + 15 = 42
Acrobatics: 27
Healing: 21
Fortitude: 21

X________Maurcellus Felix____________________
11-06-2013, 12:34 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2013 12:37 PM by Purple Walrus.)

Name: Brad Cooper
Species: Human / Brain in jar

Self-Description: Was average height, had brown hair and eyes. Used to wear a trilby hat and a grey trench coat. He is now just a brain in a jar.

Psych Profile: Brad is a pretty bitter and angry guy, even before the accident. Though once you get to know him, he's quite pleasant. He used to be a freelance derivative that was know to take any case. He has been on 74 case in his whole career. Though his methods where questionable he prided himself on always gets his man. Unfortunately he had to retire early after he accidentally fell into the path of a hover train. Losing his body did a number on Brad's mental state. But through months of therapy he managed to over come it. His body wasn't the only thing he lost. His wife left him because of how distant he become and he kept going on about the "accident". He still firmly believes that he was pushed and that it was no accident. He is an alcoholic, but it's pretty tough to be one considering he's just a brain in a jar.

Stats
Willpower: 10
Imagination: 6
Potential: 4
Stability: 10
Socialization: 1

Skills
Unarmed: 30 + 15= 45
Melee Weapons: 30
Manifestation: 18
Projection: 18 + 15 = 33
Ranged Weapons: 12
Acrobatics: 12
Healing: 30
Fortitude: 30
[Image: rvxl.png]
11-07-2013, 05:39 AM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2013 05:40 AM by Discord The Hedgehog.)
Oneiros Institute

Name: Hexin

Species Shadow Cat

Self-Description: Hexin looks like a typical member of his species on it's first life. He's a small black cat with pure white eyes and a gold ring around his tail.

Psych Profile: Hexin is a hyperactive little feline who likes to talk fast and run around. He has a habit of running head first into danger, then trying to get away after the danger is close. He is also highly distractible by lots of things, mainly shiny things.

Stats
Willpower: 4
Imagination: 3
Stability: 10

Skills
Unarmed: 12
Melee Weapons: 12
Manifestation: 9
Projection: 9
Acrobatics: 30 (+15) 45
Healing: 30 (+15) 45
Fortitude: 30

X______________Hexim___________________
11-07-2013, 08:20 AM
(11-06-2013 11:02 AM)SupahKiven Wrote:  Species: Animate Human Skeleton

I'm not sure that an animate skeleton meets the "nervous system-having" requirement. His brain would have rotted away long ago and such.
11-07-2013, 08:56 AM
Anomaly Wrote:  I'm not sure that an animate skeleton meets the "nervous system-having" requirement. His brain would have rotted away long ago and such.

Oof, my bad. Fixed it.
11-07-2013, 10:40 AM
You know, I really, really want to apply for this, but I just don't think I have the time right now.
I'll try and have a profile up by tomorrow, assuming it's not too late.
11-07-2013, 10:43 AM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2013 12:02 PM by chimericWilder.)

Name: Xavice na son Dezhar

Species: Im a Cil. To someone who has not encountered our species before, i suppose i could be described as a lean humanoid with grayish, reptile-like features, though we do not actually have anything in common with reptiles. We have incisors and claw-like hands, aswell as an extra joint on our legs, and we see quite well in the dark - relics from our ancestry, apparently. Somebody once told me i looked like a gray version of a githzerai. I dont know what that is, but looking back, i kind of think that might have been an insult of some sort? Im not too concerned about that kind of thing, though.
Sex: Male.

Self-Description: Im a pathetic being. Not that i pity myself; quite on the contrary, actually. My muscles are terribly atrophied, i am even more thin and gaunt than my fellows, and i barely have any skin pigment at all. I have difficulty walking more than a few yards without technological aid. There are reasons behind these things, ofcourse, but i will not share them. It is nothing that will interfere with your systems though, i assure you.

Psych Profile: I am a follower of a Tenet known as the Unfettered Mind. I dont believe in logic, laws or faith, but rather in the instinctive power of the mind, to work beyond a simple body, and in the freedom to do not just what is possible, but also what is not. As is obvious, this gives me fairly good reasons for signing up to your program. Though you would test me, i too would test myself. But enough of that; you wanted psychological information. I am not good with people, primarily, i think, because my particular views set me apart from many people. I think they have trouble understanding me, and i often forget that others do not see things as i do. Regardless, i have difficulty feeling much emotion at all. I think i react slowly to the emotion. It is too easy to simply turn away - atleast, until i am engaged in the scene, then i act quickly with no consideration regardless of the situation. That baffles me, actually, despite the Tenet. Though i am trapped in my own mind, i still do not understand myself. Perhaps i should feel confused, but i simply dont.

Stats
Willpower:
Potential: 3
Stability: 9

Skills
Unarmed:
Melee Weapons: 21
Manifestation: 30
Ranged Weapons: 9
Acrobatics: 24
Healing: 27
Fortitude: 27

X ________Xavice Dezhar ________
11-07-2013, 10:53 AM
(11-07-2013 10:40 AM)insanityIncarnate Wrote:  You know, I really, really want to apply for this, but I just don't think I have the time right now.
I'll try and have a profile up by tomorrow, assuming it's not too late.

Signups are open until Monday, 11/11. No worries.
11-08-2013, 05:52 AM (This post was last modified: 11-14-2013 11:18 AM by insanityIncarnate.)
(11-05-2013 10:52 AM)Anomaly Wrote:  
Oneiros Institute

Name: Annett Bliase

Species: Pureblooded Human

Sex: Female

Age: 23. Subject believes self to be 16 and has the mental state of a 13 year old.

Self-Description: Annett, at the time of writing is only 4'10" and weighs slightly under a meager 41kg, or about 90 pounds. Measurements are 23-19-26. She has a small, frail looking frame. She is extremely pale and looks underfed, as her body has been reacting poorly to being fed intravenously for a number of years. She has extremely long reddish-brown hair that currently extends down to just above the buttocks. Her parents claim that she expressed extreme distress at the idea of having it cut, and have requested that her hair not be cut if at all possible. Her eyes are a bright green and flecked with brown, and she has a small amount of freckles that cover the bridge of the nose. She has a slightly rounded face, small jaw and nose and a slightly low forehead.

Psych Profile: Ten years ago, Annett suffered a stroke that rendered her permanently comatose. Records and social studies suggest that before this, however, she was anti-social and a shut-in. She had few friends, and instead shut herself into a fantasy world of her own imagining. Her family has testified that she would sometimes lock herself in her room for days at a time, and often refused to attend school.

She was taken into medical care ten years ago after her parents called to report that they were worried that there may be something wrong with her. She hadn't been sneaking out for food for a number of days and her room was inaccessible as the door had been barricaded using shelves and a bed. She was found to have been unconscious for approximately 48 hours and was rushed to intensive care.

Her room, when first discovered by medical professionals called to deal with the incident, was found to be plastered in thousands of scrawled drawings and pictures, as well at the entirety of at least three novels and several short stories. Her parents were quite disturbed at this revelation, although the contents of the papers were mostly mundane. There were several generic "fantasy" type settings, as well as some more outlandish settings. The most disturbing content that could be found was a single short story that involved violent dismemberment of several classmates and a small stash of hand-drawn pornography, although for the sake of the victim's privacy the exact contents of such remain undisclosed.

To sum her up, Annett seemed to have an extreme aversion to everyday life, was cripplingly shy and slightly eccentric. Other than her problems accepting reality, she would have most likely been a relatively average individual. She has been kept on life support by her parents and brother to this day in the hopes of managing to establish some form of contact, which is why we are applying to this project.

Stats
Willpower: 1
Stability: 8

Skills
Unarmed: 3
Melee Weapons: 3
Manifestation: 45
Acrobatics: 30
Healing: 24
Fortitude: 24

X__Alex Castle, CEO________________________

Amidoinitrite?
11-08-2013, 09:56 AM
I feel that I should mention, because I didn't put this in the OP: 1 point in a stat represents a complete and total lack of ability in that field. For example:

1 Willpower will leave you incredibly weak, unable to lift or carry just about anything that isn't made of styrofoam. Additionally, you're likely to hurt yourself if you even try to fight close-range, and basically have the strength of soggy cardboard.

1 Imagination will make your understanding of dreamspace minimal, making it nearly impossible to adapt to the logic of the dream or do much of anything mentally strenuous. You will be very, very confused and disoriented.

1 Potential will make you slow. Slow to react, slow to move, and, basically, clumsy as hell. You're likely to fumble things you're holding, trip over your own feet, and fail to outrun anything that happens to be chasing you.

1 Stability will render you extremely susceptible to anything hazardous. Something that might merely bruise someone with normal stability will break several bones instead. Additionally, you'll tire out very easily.

1 Socialization will make you useless when dealing with dream inhabitants. Most of them won't like you, and will probably ignore you. You'll be incredibly obvious when your enemies are looking for you, and you might even make some new enemies.

Basically, dropping your stats super low will cause problems. Not insurmountable problems, if you're creative, but things will likely be tough for you. Fair warning.

Incidentally, having 10 in a stat will result in basically the polar opposite of each of these problems. Maybe enough to make up for your shortcomings, but maybe not.
11-08-2013, 10:05 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2013 10:06 AM by chimericWilder.)
In my opinion, a couple of weaknesses often makes for a more interesting game - depending on the specifics ofcourse, and whether or not you enjoy dealing with the inconveniences involved - too many is just crippling.
11-11-2013, 01:30 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2013 01:31 PM by Anomaly.)
24 HOURS REMAIN!

If you're planning on joining the game, now is the time.
11-12-2013, 04:33 AM
Name: Gerald Petrikovus

Species: Human, nominally. In actuality preserved brain in a jar, survivor of the Fernix human experiments during the war, only recently achieved civil rights and re-recognition of personhood after spending the last 47 years in laboratories.

Sex: Male, host body specifically engineered to convince brain's functions that they are still in a biologically male body for neurological and psychological stability.

Age: Biological age: 21 at point of internment in host processor, remained there for 3 years of the war, 71 years of age by current date, brain still in healthy condition and has yet to suffer neurological shortcomings associated with aging.

Self-Description: Gerald's brain tissue has suffered slight discoloration in his time in the jar, but is otherwise healthy, it is now an uncomfortable shade of red however. The mechanical body surrounding the jar frame and its supporting mechanisms comes equipped with four extending, multifaceted arms for use in maneuvering and manipulating in the real world. It comes equipped with ocular sensors linked to the brain to function as eyes and a brainwave to speech translator to allow for communication.

Psych Profile: Clinically depressed, distrustful of others and with social anxiety problems, Gerald is not a fun guy to be around generally. He has traumatic nightmares of his time as an experiment subject, both of the Fernix and later, fellow humans and does not co-operate or trust easily.

Stats
Willpower: 10
Potential: 9
Stability: 4

Skills
Unarmed: 30
Melee Weapons: 45
Ranged Weapons: 27
Acrobatics: 27
Healing: 12
Fortitude: 12
Disguise: 24

X_________Gerald Petrikovus______________________
11-12-2013, 07:20 AM (This post was last modified: 11-13-2013 01:04 PM by MasterBlade.)
Quote:
Oneiros Institute

Name: Razaran Arzolan

Species: Nelmari Shapeweaver- A docile species from the Nelmari system to which they are named after. Their evolutionary tree goes back to parasitic slugs which would harvest and adapt to the DNA of other creatures, slowly developing their own species through the traits of others. The development of shapeshifting into mimics came at the gap between parasite and predator; large groups of feral Nelmari would change their form to the hunted creature, living amongst packs while stealthily taking a member or two for sustenance. This tactic quickly rose the Nelmari to the top of the food chain, though it was not until space travelers arrived on the planet that the Nelmari had the resources to gain their own sentience.

Even in the modern day, Nelmari follow their instincts to hide among others and adapt. The peaceful ways in which they go about this allow them to act as excellent diplomats, if not a bit self-serving.

Sex: Hermaphrodite. All members of the species bear both male and female reproductive organs, though self-fertilization is impossible and counter-productive. For the sake of applications, Razaran identifies with the male gender.

Age: 12 Human Years, mid-life for Nelmari. Mental faculties are that of a mature organism.

Self-Description: In base form, Nelmari looks mostly-alike; Green, humanoid slugs with thick layers of a gel slime around their entire body. The slime acts primarily as non-permeable skin, and can take on different consistencies and colors to mimic scales, skin, etcetera based on dna absorbed from another organism. The Nelmari lack a solid bone system, being held by thick, highly-moveable wireframe systems inside their bodies. The entire structure allows them to shift to approximate forms of other species, at least in appearance.

Razaran, in his dealings with the Oneiros Institute, has mostly stuck to the form of whatever species he was interacting with at the time. Common traits between forms were an aged appearance, but not elderly. Taller than average, and in good physical fitness. When applicable, he had long, black hair. His eyes glowed green in every form he took, whether it was usual for the species or not; his identifying mark for personnel.

Psych Profile: Like most of his Nelmari brethren, Razaran possesses the sole ideology of adapting to the world around him on an instinctual level. He was sent by the loosely-formed government in the Nemlari system to learn the social graces of those in the Sol system, in preparation for further interaction. Due to landing a highly-educated community, Razaran developed a taste for research and study, holding it as a higher focus to his original task. This position as a test subject was a natural next step to that learning process, albeit an undisclosed one. For all extensive purposes, its "grunt work for grunt pay".

Razaran is calm and level-headed, a trait that goes beyond the usual standards for his race. He'll take in all the information he can before making a decision, viewing choices objectively and making intelligent choices. People often note him for his ability to read others; a trait developed for the sole purpose of scanning groups for ways to fit inside. Similarly, he is quick to use whatever tricks he can to appease others, whether it be out of friendship or to gain favor with people. He's better at talking his way out of a fight than fighting through one, and prefers things that way.

Stats
Willpower: 3
Potential: 7
Socialization: 10

Skills
Unarmed: 9
Melee Weapons: 9
Ranged Weapons: 21
Acrobatics: 21
Fortitude: 18
Diplomacy: 30 +15
Disguise: 30 +15

[Image: U398oiT.png]
11-12-2013, 01:30 PM
Signups are closed!

Accepted players will be announced shortly. Please stand by.
11-13-2013, 07:17 AM (This post was last modified: 11-13-2013 07:17 AM by Anomaly.)
Oneiros Institute: Somnus Project
Selected Applicants: Group C

1. Brad Cooper. Human (brain in containment unit). Age 36 (Earth Standard Years).
Does not appear to have any sort of exosuit. Ensure that transportation is provided as required, and that communication can be established. Prepare equipment to interface with containment unit.

2. Razaran Arzolan. Nelmari Shapeweaver. Age 12 (Earth Standard Years).
Shapeshifter. Might be a good idea to track him carefully when he arrives at the Institute. Shouldn't give us trouble, but it couldn't hurt.

3. Annett Bliase. Human. Age 23 (Earth Standard Years).
Has been comatose for an extended period of time. Will require additional calibration, but it should provide valuable medical data.

4. Galena. Outsider. Age unknown.
Interesting. Don't see many members of this species around. Seems to have poor interpersonal skills - we'll see how that pans out.

5. Linda Molver. Human (presumably). Age unknown.
We were going to throw her application out, but Dr. Neparei thinks her insanity will make for an interesting psychological study. Has a very loose grasp on reality.

6. Ignatio Gato. Human. Age 35 (Earth Standard Years).
Fairly normal, overall. Proclaims himself an "amazing cook" - perhaps we should put him to work in the cafeteria when he's not sleeping...

7. Marissa Coolidge. Human. Age 20 (Earth Standard Years).
Has no use of her legs - ensure that wheelchair accommodations are in place and properly upkept.

8. Jin Mizano Zikala Motula. Xinatan. Age 22 (Earth Standard Years).
Seems to be slightly asocial, but not to a debilitating degree. May have a slight problem with temper. Make sure he doesn't break anything.

9. Gerald Petrikovus. Human (brain in exosuit). Age 71 (Earth Standard Years).
Mistrustful, depressed, and anxious. Has survived for many years without his body, but may become emotionally unstable. Prepare equipment to interface with exosuit; monitor him carefully.

On inspection of our mailing lists, it seems that application information was distributed disproportionately in and around human-controlled space. Inspection of our mail servers is underway. At least we got a bulk rate on shuttle transport...
- Dr. C

NEW AZEBOR. SANTURUS SYSTEM, SECOND PLANET.
NUTRAUK CITY, UOLET MOUNTAINS.
0700 HOURS.

Morning in Nutrauk City. Binary suns rose above distant mountains, illuminating the shining towers and soon-to-be-bustling roads of the great city, the foremost settlement on New Azebor. From the clear skies dropped a small shuttle, its course taking it around the city, then away, up into the mountains that towered high above.

Then another arrived. And another.

Nine in total appeared within minutes of each other, all heading to the same place - a landing pad on a mountainside, behind a cluster of large, impressive buildings.

The Oneiros Institute.

One by one, these arrivals stepped out of their shuttles, and were ushered through the back door of a nearby building and into a small, clean lobby. Tall plate glass windows offered a stunning view of the city below, as sunlight crept across the valley. Scattered about the room were a variety of chairs and couches, made to accommodate a variety of body shapes. A few potted plants stood in various corners, significantly less interesting than the variety of framed, colorful brainscans that hung on the walls.

Behind a desk at the front of the room sat an insectoid creature, resembling a humanoid scorpion of some description. It was busy typing at a computer with one pair of hands as it sipped some sort of hot beverage clasped in its claws.

"Welcome to the Oneiros Institute," the scorpionoid announced, briefly glancing up as the applicants entered the room. "We're still processing your information, so it's going to be a few minutes. Might be a good idea to get acquainted with each other. You're going to be working together for a while."

Have fun, guys. Updates might be slow at first due to exams, but I'll do my best to keep up.

Sorry to those of you that didn't get in - it wasn't easy to make the decision. There will probably be opportunities to apply later in the game, so feel free to resubmit when that time comes.
11-13-2013, 07:19 AM
Galena tracks black footprint indents into the tiles.

She waves at the scorpion receptionist.
11-13-2013, 07:25 AM
The scorpion receptionist waved back, then sent out a memo to the janitorial crew. Looked like they'd be busy this month.
11-13-2013, 07:26 AM
Marissa wheels herself behind a plant or something. They never said she'd have to talk to anyone. She keeps her nose deep in the company's employee manual that was sent to her when her application was accepted.
11-13-2013, 07:31 AM
Jin steps in, looking towards the receptionist and the strange girl. Ugh..... This was a bad idea.... He gave a small nod to each of them before heading off to a corner, waiting for something to happen. He wasn't too good with people... Punching, yes. Swinging, kinda. There was a movement under his sweatshirt, which he tried to hush quickly. Not yet.... Nothing needed breaking yet!
11-13-2013, 07:32 AM (This post was last modified: 11-13-2013 07:33 AM by Acolyte Doctor.)
Galena considers sitting in one of the nice looking chairs or the clean tile floor but she kept crushing them with her immense mass. Which would be rather inconvenient if it were not for the fact the employees threaten to fine her if she kept on leaving lead filled buttprints everywhere. She had no idea what they meant (it wasn't like she was doing this on purpose, y'know) but she figured it would be best to on their good side.

Until she gets home, anyway.

Galena waves at Marissa. What a fancy vehicle she is riding! Galena wondered how she manages around with that thing.

Galena also waves at Jin. She wonders why he looks so excited.
11-13-2013, 07:34 AM
Marissa notices Galena, and meekly waves back.

Who and what was that strange woman.
11-13-2013, 07:38 AM
Galena is wondering the same thing. As far as she could tell, Marissa may be part cyborg.
11-13-2013, 07:48 AM
Gerald came in through the door with his manipulating appendages, the same ones he used to spider crawl his way inside the reception room.

He looked around.

He moved silently into a corner and retracted his limbs to take up the least amount of space as possible.
11-13-2013, 07:52 AM
Wow, woah. Is that a brain? Galena was not aware that people HAVE organs.

Galena kind of surreptitiously scuttles (as in you could feel her footprints rumble) and casts a sideways glance at Gerald.

Heehee, he is so wrinkly.
11-13-2013, 08:10 AM
Oh my god what is this place.
11-13-2013, 08:12 AM
aww. i had such evil plans. Well, enjoy the fun.
11-13-2013, 08:40 AM (This post was last modified: 11-13-2013 08:41 AM by Purple Walrus.)
A man in a white lab coat pushes a trolley into the room. On it is a brain in a jar in green liquid.

The man then sticks some wires into the brain. One of the wires is connected to a little camera at the base of the jar. Another is connected to a large speaker under the trolley.

The speaker crackles to life. "About time!"

"Will that be all Mr Cooper." The man asked.

"Yes! Now piss off!"

The man walks out of the room leaving the trolley behind.
11-13-2013, 08:46 AM (This post was last modified: 11-13-2013 08:47 AM by insanityIncarnate.)
A slightly rugged-looking man, a stressed-out looking woman and an obviously worried couple step out of the sixth ship to arrive. A ramp extends from the rather large exit, and the man steps forward ahead of the group, while the woman wheels a device carrying a stretcher and several drip bags out of the vehicle, followed closely by the worried couple.

The man strolls up to the receptionist. "Alex Castle, CEO of AdvanceCorp! Pleasure to meet you all. I'm here about the transfer- I'm sorry, 'treatment' of one... Annie Blizzett?"

The woman speaks up. "Annett Bliase, sir."

"Ah, yes, that's the one!" He chuckles slightly. "Sorry, I've been terribly busy recently. I have a lot on my mind. Where should we leave the... Patient? Subject? Victim, even? Ha HA, I'm just kidding with you. But really, I need to be gone soon. Marie here will keep you updated on little Ant and the parents want to stay as long as they can, assuming that's all good with you."
11-13-2013, 08:55 AM (This post was last modified: 11-13-2013 09:58 AM by MasterBlade.)
The plant Marissa was hiding behind suddenly morphs into the shape of a human.

"I thank you for the escort. Flying is... rather frightening for me."

Razaran sits down next to Marissa, looking at the manuals. He flips it around, trying to figure out how its held together.
11-13-2013, 09:02 AM
"I eh... what!?"

Marissa wheels away from whatever the hell just happened and hides somewhere else.
11-13-2013, 09:09 AM
Gerald's exosuit turns in the direction of Cooper when it speaks.

He was curious despite himself.
11-13-2013, 09:18 AM (This post was last modified: 11-13-2013 09:19 AM by Purple Walrus.)
The little camera turns to survey the room. It suddenly stops when it gets to Gerald.

The speaker crackles to life again.

"What the hell! This guys gets a body and I'm stuck with this shirty cart! This is bullshit!"
11-13-2013, 09:20 AM
"IT-IS-NOT-WHAT-IT-IS-CRACKED-UP-TO-BE. I-ASSURE-YOU"
11-13-2013, 09:29 AM
"Sure! But a least it beasts sitting in a fucking jar unable to move! Waiting for someone to push you!"
11-13-2013, 09:42 AM
The receptionist looked up from his computer.

"Annett Bliase, yes. Accommodations have already been arranged for her caregivers for the duration of the month. I believe that you will find everything in order, Mr. Castle."
11-13-2013, 09:52 AM
Chest puffed out, Ignatio - or rather, IGNATIO to his friends- strides into the middle of the room, attempting to radiate confidence. The result is best left to the imagination of the viewer. But most would agree that his stereotypical pharaoh hat made him look rather silly.

He continues his stride, pretending to pass through the center of the room by pure accident, no sir, he just wanted to walk to a chair on the other side of the room. On which he sits, dramatically.