Lords of Darkness
11-23-2013, 04:18 AM (This post was last modified: 11-23-2013 04:19 AM by Galloglasses.)
Lords of Darkness
[Image: title.png]

[Image: turn%201%20small%20map.png]

The moon was waxing gibbous this night. And its gentle rays pierced the thick cloud cover as it parted inch by inch. Illuminating a stone circle of ruined buildings surrounding a hilltop.

Abandoned tools and the detritus of life littered the area, and apart from overgrown lichen, moss and grass there was no sign of living things to be seen in a circle of many yards surrounding the long abandoned town.

For this was Urich. The town that time forgot. Roads no longer lead here, and foresters could not find it, nor would they want to and so it passed away into myth and legend in the superstitious minds of the surrounding villages and townsfolk. Who used it as a cautionary tale to scare their children.

Yet this night, for reasons unknown, the innocuous well at the apex of the hill drew the most terrible of creatures to it. The strange pull of power, tantalising them and causing them restlessness until they came.

A thick mist rose up from the base of this foul well, dissipating as it contacted the air, convulsing and moving almost as if it was alive and trapped by the bars of some unknown prison.

Something truly foul had occurred here recently, the emaciated husk of a knight with burnt and half melted Armour, fusing with the rock of the bricks that made up the well's face. Burn marks scarred the incline of the hill and the hint of congealed blood could be tasted in the air still.

It was this most inauspicious night that these creatures elected to arrive. And as the creatures crossed the border of the dead town, they were suddenly, made aware of one another's presence, whereas before this was unknown to them.

Though they knew it not, how they would proceed would determine the fate of uncounted mortals souls.
11-23-2013, 04:32 AM
RE: Lords of Darkness
Alessandra di Tenesra stepped into town, followed by her four men-at-arms thralls. She had left her white horse back at the inn she'd stayed the day at, as it was only a mile or so from the dead town. Tasting the air as she walked, she could sense a large degree of evil.

And other vampires. May or may not be related, but interesting regardless.

On that particular night, she had opted to wear her chainmail. Never hurts to be prepared when entering a dead city with a dark presence, afterall. Her well-balanced arming sword was hanging at her left side, with a dagger hanging on her front right side. A black and red cape hang from her shoulders held by a silver clasp.

"I am going to scout the town center," she said to the four men-at-arms. "You stay together, and do try not to get butchered. If you see anything big, dark, and nasty, I would suggest you run away unless you want to suffer a fate far worse than death. Toodles."

She turned into a black cat and wandered quietly into the center of town, taking in her surroundings.
11-23-2013, 04:39 AM
"I don't like the feel here sir."
"Shut yer trap."
"Sir-"
"I said shut it. I know you don't like the feel of the place, you've said it near a dozen times. Just cause you keep saying it won't make me... oh damn it! Why have you stopped."
"Sir. The mule won't go no further. She's scared."
"Fine! You stay with the ass you ass. Me and Mr. Gibbs will go on without you."
"Actually sir. If it's all the same to you. I'd prefer to-"
"Oh to hell with the both of you! Fine. Stay here. Don't go anywhere. But before I go."
"Ah!"
"Stop crying like a sissy every time I cut you. Hold still now."
"The madness was threatening to come?"
"No. Just a bit thirsty. I'll be back soon enough."
"Uh... sir. I may be feeling a bit parched myself?"
"Well maybe if you've stopped crying by the time I get back, we can see about slaking that thirst."

Heavy footfalls trace a careless path through the trees to the edge of town. They hesitate briefly when they draw close. Almost like the owners of said feet had sensed something.
"That's very interesting."
A comment for no ones benefit. The footfalls continue, tracing a path through the town to the base of the hill.
11-23-2013, 05:46 AM
...between buildings, the clop-clop of a horse's hooves meet the poorly-maintained cobbles. There's a clicker-clack too, and a shuffle of leather and metal, as a small group heads towards the center of town... between the buildings, they are a figure mounted and ten afoot... the footmen shuffle with leather and scale, clicking along with nay a breath, while the mounted man is robed all in a deep twilight blue... reaching a point where the path begins to curve upwards...

And so they climb the hill, wary. The well beckons from the top. From his position in the saddle, Henri de Falonsélieu surveys the scene. He's seen nobody yet, but he can feel that he's not alone out here. In the silent company of his breathless servants, he prepares for the worst.
11-23-2013, 05:51 AM
Henri notices deep furrows in the shadow of the hill, more of the strange battle marks burned into the ground near the well proper. Looking carefully he notices there were scatterings of ash and what appeared to be salt. In one of the furrows there was a skeletal hand, charred half buried in the soil.
11-23-2013, 05:58 AM (This post was last modified: 11-23-2013 07:04 AM by Raptarion.)
The sound of lifeless servants walking on stone. Rushing water approaches.
They are there at the water. Impossibly blue eyes flash into the minds eye.
"This is what you get for not showing the proper respect."
Blinding pain and blinding hate mix.

The memory lasts but a few moments. His eyes narrow as he looks upon the figure on the horse.
His heavy footfalls start to lift him up the hill.

Jim follows the the party up the hill, his heavy footfalls making his presence readily apparent.
11-23-2013, 05:59 AM (This post was last modified: 11-23-2013 05:59 AM by Demonsul.)
"Halte," says Henri, holding up a withered hand. The skeletons, bound to his language as he knew it far better than he knew the bastard tongue of this land, came to a clattering halt. Henri carefully observed the skeletal hand, trying to see if there was the rest of the skeleton still attached. There was a prickling sensation, as the presences drew ever closer, and Henri remained on guard.
11-23-2013, 06:02 AM
There did not appear to be much more then an arm buried in the soil, but as he inspected it a glint of moonlight betrayed something metallic, a ring of some sort.

He also notices loud footfalls behind his party.
11-23-2013, 06:05 AM (This post was last modified: 11-23-2013 06:06 AM by Demonsul.)
"Ramasser ça, je veux le voir," he said, gesturing for one of his skeletons to pick up the ring and show it to him. "Garder autour," he told the others, who would watch for the approaching presences he could feel at varying distances. He himself also turned his horse to take a look behind the party, seeing if he could spot the source of the footfalls.
11-23-2013, 06:11 AM
"Legion of the dead, led by a lord of the damned."
The footfalls stop a few yards short of the party. The owner of said footfalls stands rather dramatically. His left thumb hooked in his belt. His right hand tilting back his large hat.
"I don't suppose said lord would care to introduce himself."
11-23-2013, 06:24 AM
Henri squinted at the man in the black overcoat and tricorne hat. His garb was even stranger than that of the peasants. But the presences - he was definitely one of them. It was bizarre.

"I..." he recalled what of the language he had learned already. He hadn't understood a lot of what the overcoated man had said, but it seemed to be some kind of request for his identity. The indignity of it momentarily caused him to frown, but he could not recall why. "I am Henri de Falonsélieu, Équestre de l'Empereur Bleu." He pointed a wrinkled hand towards the man. "Qui êtes-vous? Who are you named?"

The google-translate-french language would not be completely alien to you guys, I guess. It's like this universes equivalent of latin from what I can tell, so priests still use it in theological contexts.
11-23-2013, 06:39 AM (This post was last modified: 11-23-2013 07:05 AM by Raptarion.)
"Falonsélieu! That's the name." Jim says.
"My memory has betrayed me. But I dare say I've come across your clan in the past. There certainly is something... familiar about this scene."

Jim spreads his arms out wide.
"But where are my manners. I am Jim, of the Black Fang. What's the Black Fang you may ask? Just a name for something that seems to scratch at the back of the mind. Teasing with the possibility of a coherent memory, but leaving behind only black residue, to stick in the scratches it leaves behind, and drive you mad with the irritation.
I also think it was the name of a ship. And in place of my surname, which seems to have been either misplaced or stolen, it also serves as the official unofficial name of my clan."

Henri would likely have barely been able to understand him, what with how fast Jim was speaking the language he was unfamiliar with.
11-23-2013, 06:39 AM
Alessandra heard speech. She climbed a wall, then walked over to investigate the sounds, staying quiet.
11-23-2013, 07:06 AM
Changed posts because derp, forgot Sul's character is the first and only member of his bloodline.
11-23-2013, 07:22 AM (This post was last modified: 11-23-2013 07:22 AM by Demonsul.)
Henri gives a half-smile, having not understood more than the occasional simple word from that barrage. "Je ne comprends pas un mot, vous barbare voyou," he says in response, maintaining the eerie half-smile which looked entirely unnatural on his face. He looks around, wondering if the guy is trying to refer to anything in the immediate vicinity. There's another presence nearby and coming closer - he turns towards it, trying to work out if he can see where it originates from.
11-23-2013, 07:24 AM
Alessandra, in the form of a black cat, walks out of a nearby ancient alley and stares at the two men.

Or vampires. Once men, perhaps.

She examines them closely, then meows.
11-23-2013, 07:30 AM
Jim frowns at the words. He's familiar with the language Henri speaks... sort of. Not a first language, and he seems to have lost some of his fluency in the years.
"No need for insults." He says.
He looks to where Henri had turned and sees the cat. He smiles.

"Ah... good luck it seems."
11-23-2013, 07:47 AM
Henri still couldn't understand Jim, since he was talking in the barbarian tongue. He was more wary about the cat, however - it exuded presence, just as Jim did. "Ce genre de bête êtes-vous?" he muttered to himself. Then he gestured to the cat, and spoke to Jim. "This... animal... is anormal? Wrong? Ce n'est pas un chat, c'est anormal, comme vous. Comme nous." He thought for a moment longer, putting a hand to his head. "Peut le règne affecter animaux? Je me souviens si peu..."
11-23-2013, 07:53 AM
She sat down, continuing to glare at them. The old, frail one appeared to be quite suspicious of her.

Smart of him.
11-23-2013, 07:57 AM
A bone white face watched silently with empty eyes from a building's window. He'd been there for a while now, barely interacting with the room, the window had opened noiselessly for him, and despite the distance to the hill, John doe, could see the figures sharply and clearly. John, in his earthy clothes watched the hill silently. There were bloodstains on his shirt and coat, from that poor hunter he'd came across. He felt that he should care about what he'd done to the man, but didn't really feel anything. He'd have preferred not to, but if he hadn't, it could suck for him so, that's that. Two notable figures were on the hill, both with entourages, and equally strange appearances, although perhaps John wasn't one to talk. A lone masked figure who wasn't even too sure of his own appearance. They looked like they hadn't just popped out of the ground either. Strange, although it had taken him a while to get out. He wasn't sure how long.

He vaulted out of the window and landed on the ground below without a sound. He began to make his way towards the hill as he vanished entirely from sight. Even his footsteps on the ground stopped in their tracks. He felt drawn to those figures, so he'd move up to the hill and listen in on them for a bit.

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
11-23-2013, 07:59 AM
"A cat is a cat and a cat is lucky." Jim says with a shrug. He then starts to approach the cat slowly. "Even when the cat is in fact not a cat. But a monster." He says slowly.

He stopped several feet from the cat. Plenty of room for the cat to run away if it so chose. He kneels down.
"I dare say a cat like that is doubly lucky. For they would also have the luck of the devil himself."
11-23-2013, 08:04 AM (This post was last modified: 11-23-2013 08:05 AM by Cidellus.)
Alessandra tilted her head, staring at the vampire sailor. After a few seconds, she gave out another simple meow.
11-23-2013, 08:11 AM (This post was last modified: 11-23-2013 08:12 AM by Raptarion.)
"And a fine how do you do to you too." He says with a grin.

"Well. That makes 4." He says, standing up and holding up 4 fingers. "If you include the eavesdropper who hasn't shown themselves yet!" His voice rose on the last few words, his voice piercing the quiet night air for all to hear.
11-23-2013, 08:28 AM
Bullshit. Dude guessed or is bluffing. John kept numb, though he eyed that cat bloody suspiciously. He wasn't sure what it was but it wasn't a damn cat. Damned thing could see him though.

He waved to the cat, may as well be polite to the mysterious shape-shifting thing.

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
11-23-2013, 08:29 AM
Alessandra looked directly at John and meowed in response to his waving.
11-23-2013, 08:39 AM (This post was last modified: 11-23-2013 08:40 AM by Demonsul.)
Henri looked around. There were presences all around, now - the man, the cat, something nearby, others closing in... He didn't want to feel like he was being dragged around by some unknown force alongside far too many other people for it to even be specifically meant for him. This place could be anything from a trap to a practical joke. He'd go up the hill, see what all the fuss was about, and leave.

"Os! Avec moi," he said, and the skeletons closed ranks around him, marching with him as he continued on up the hill. He would go to look at this well and see what the source of the energy that drew him here was.
11-23-2013, 08:39 AM
Alessandra followed Henri up the hill to the well.
11-23-2013, 08:42 AM
"I feel we should wait." He calls to the two going up the hill. "Whatever brought us all here, brought us ALL here. It seems only polite to not start the festivities until all the guests have arrived."
11-23-2013, 08:45 AM
"Ne peut toujours pas comprendre votre langue barbare!" called back Henri in a rasping voice. He didn't give a damn about reasons, he didn't give a damn about trying to be polite regarding some entity that was dragging him around without even a by-your-leave, and he certainly didn't give a damn about all these vampires showing up. Not to mention he didn't understand most of the words Jim was saying.
11-23-2013, 08:51 AM
"Suit yerself." Jim says, waiting at the base of the hill for the others.
11-23-2013, 08:53 AM
John popped into sight as he stood beside Jim, looking up at the hill too. "Name's John." He said, putting a hand out to Jim whilst still looking upwards.

11-23-2013, 08:54 AM (This post was last modified: 11-23-2013 08:55 AM by Raptarion.)
"Jim." He responds simply, not too surprised by John's appearance, what with being able to sense his presence and all. He shakes his hand. Strong grip.
11-23-2013, 08:56 AM (This post was last modified: 11-23-2013 08:56 AM by Galloglasses.)
The well at the top of the hill almost seemed to glow as the moonlight intensified and the thick, white fog churning within it was unpleasant to witness. The knight's corpse was fully visible.

The armour was visibly burned and melted beyond any recognition or design and the flesh was burned off and the helm had fused with his skull,. its right hand was disconnected but similarly charred and fused, clasping a broken steel bastard sword, while its other still seemed to have flesh but its hand was frozen in place clasping a burnt book. Most of it seemed burnt and useless but the open pages seemed to clearly have words still visible. A shield was to seen on the far side of the well. It was clean and still in surprisingly good condition and had a crest upon its face.

The fog in the well seemed to stir with intensity as the vampires approached.
11-23-2013, 08:59 AM
Alessandra turned into human form as she approached the well.

"Soirée, vieil homme. Sour nuit pour une promenade, non?" she asked with a laugh.
11-23-2013, 09:02 AM
John "tchh"ed under his breath. "Hope this "presence" thing wears off, or find some way around it. May make things tricky for me. Been a "whatever-you-are" long?"

11-23-2013, 09:05 AM
"Longer than I can remember. I do mean that literally. And I believe the word you're looking for is 'Vampire.'"
11-23-2013, 09:07 AM
Henri seemed momentarily surprised by Alessandra's transition into a person. He frowned down at her from horseback. "Quelqu'un a une idée terrible de ce qui est dramatique." He sniffed. "C'est comme si vous avez une langue de granit. Pourtant, c'est la première fois que j'ai entendu parler de la vraie langue après je me suis réveillé. Vous n'êtes pas un de l'empire, cependant." He gestured towards the dead soldier. "Est-ce votre fait?"
11-23-2013, 09:07 AM (This post was last modified: 11-23-2013 09:07 AM by MQuinny1234.)
"Oh, really? All of us then? Neat...Huh, thought I'd be more upset by something like that." He cocked his head slightly. "So, this totally isn't a good thing, whatever all this is, right? For me, better than being dead and under-ground, yes, but still not good."

11-23-2013, 09:12 AM
Jim shrugs. "It may be a bad thing. But it may be good as well. We have a cat on our side, so I dare say our luck is strong. By extension I dare say this may be a good thing."
11-23-2013, 09:15 AM
"Ajouter à une Règle d'insulter un autre l'interprétation de leur langue première chose. Je vois la chevalerie n'est pas une chose d'où vous venez," she laughed as she looked down the well.

It was filled with fog.

"Rempli de brouillard. Je vais descendre le godet."

She lowered the well bucket.
11-23-2013, 09:20 AM
The bucket was lowered.

It penetrated the fog but stopped and merely floated there. On the fog.
11-23-2013, 09:24 AM (This post was last modified: 11-23-2013 09:24 AM by Demonsul.)
"Règle? Je suis un Bleu, équestre de l'Empereur. Vous avez clairement aucune idée dont la langue noble vous avez daigné apprendre, comme tant d'autres barbares." Henri's rasping voice was losing patience. He looked over at the soldier. He pointed his finger at it. "Ce serait une honte pour lui perdre. Lève-toi, Os!"
11-23-2013, 09:26 AM (This post was last modified: 11-23-2013 09:27 AM by Cidellus.)
"That doesn't usually happen," she muttered to herself.

She glared down the well with Eyes of the Predator, and saw...the bottom of the well. It was covered in what appeared to be swirling water frozen in place. It had a stone face.

That was disconcerting. Perhaps the fog was holding the presence at the bottom back? Perhaps the glyphs written down on the book would release the fog.

Simple thing to do, then.

She tore up the pages in the book.
11-23-2013, 09:33 AM
"Attendez! Attendez d'arrêter ce que vous faites!"
11-23-2013, 09:36 AM
"Seeing what happens," she replied with a shrug as she backed away from the well.
11-23-2013, 09:36 AM
The bones did not rise.

But as Alessandra tore up the pages of the book, the entire hill seemed to shake and the vampires could all feel an intense pain in the back of their heads and the fog churned violently and seemed to glow. But the moment passed and all became still. The fog went down several levels in the well and became more calm. The power they all felt that pulled them to here became more lax and less noticeable but still present. What was noticeable however, was their sense of eachother's presence waned.
11-23-2013, 09:38 AM
"STOP DOING THINGS! IT HURTS!"
11-23-2013, 09:38 AM
Alessandra had fallen to a kneeling position when the pain occured, and rose to her feet once it was gone.

"Well," she said. "That was certainly interesting. I think I angered it."
11-23-2013, 09:42 AM
Henri was actually shouting now, hunched over the pommel of the saddle after the blinding pain. "Vous déchiré un artefact de la magie! Grimoire ou sceau, je ne sais pas! Vous n'avez aucune idée de ce que vous avez fait, avez-vous?" He waved to all his skeletons. "Os! Avec moi! Marche! Avancer!" He set off at a brisk pace down the hill and away from all this bullshit.
11-23-2013, 09:43 AM
Henri and his skeletons got away from this bullshit.