Dangan Ronpa - The Forum Game
12-25-2013, 05:10 PM (This post was last modified: 12-27-2013 01:22 PM by insanityIncarnate.)
Dangan Ronpa - The Forum Game
For those of you unaware of what Dangan Ronpa is, check here.
Unless you don't want to ruin the surprise, I guess. Then don't.
It's a series of murder-mystery type games revolving around Kibougamine Academy and its students, and the mysteries therein. There are currently 2 games in the franchise, and they are quite similar to the Phoenix Wright series in terms of gameplay, albeit faster paced. The first game also has both anime and manga adaptions, and there is a prequel novel known as Dangan Ronpa Zero.
I won't say much else about it, as the franchise is absolutely saturated with spoilers.
The majority of the content is English Translated, though, and there's a sizable English-speaking fanbase, mostly thanks to a certain Something-Awful Let's Play.

So, the time has come! You are currently standing outside the most prestigious school in the world! Kibougamine Academy! A school so lavishly proficient that application is an impossibility! Only those who are scouted may join the school!
And what are students scouted for, you may ask?
Talent!
Pure, unadulterated talent is the only thing that will get you through these doors. Which, of course, you obviously have, in some form or another. Otherwise you wouldn't be here, now, would you?
Holding your precious invitation tight, you take a step forward into the building, ready and excited to face-!

Er... Wait...
...What's going on?...

Everything's going dark...

Welcome to Dangan Ronpa - The Forum Game!
I'm afraid that due to the information-sensitive nature of this game, I can't disclose a huge amount about said nature beforehand!
Trust me though, a lot of work's gonna get put into this, and I'm gonna try and make it the best game it can be.
Consider it a Christmas Present, even.
I will say this though - You'll be trying to outwit your fellow players.
There'll be 15-16 players, either or.

RULES: - Please note, you must read these before applying.
#0 - Basic forum etiquette must be adhered to.
#1 - While playing the game, it is asked that you please refrain from discussing the game with other players.
#2 - Likewise, observers are asked to refrain from commenting on current events in-game.
#3 - Please refrain from posting in-thread unless circumstances permit it. (I.E., all characters in one location.) You'll know if it's acceptable because my posts will no longer have spoilers. You may instead opt to PM your actions or have a quicktopic assigned to you.
#4 - Absolutely NO viewing of other player's information under any circumstances. This is non-negotiable, as doing so can potentially ruin the entire game.
#5 - In the event that a player does not post within a period of 72 hours without prior notification, their character will momentarily be reduced to a dazed state. Continued neglect will result in the character becoming shell-shocked and going into auto-pilot, carrying out only the minimum amount of action required to continue living.
#6 - The password to join is 11037. This is to ensure you actually read these rules. Just include it somewhere in your post/PM and we're good.
#7 - In the event that your character dies, you may choose to be treated as an observer.
#8 - Observers who PM may will be granted access to any "behind-the-scenes" material should they so wish. Please don't speak of such things outside of the designated observer quicktopic. At least until you're absolutely sure they're no longer relevant.
#9 - Some aspects of the game that have not been elaborated upon will be revealed later.

Regarding SHSL talents:
Having a SHSL talent is a very nice thing indeed. As you are the absolute top of your field, all but the most impossible tasks involving your talent shall be successful.
However, what exactly constitutes a talent?
Well, there are the obvious "[verb]ers" - Gardener, Swimmer, Runner, etc.
Titles also count, such as, say - Prince, Chef, Mob Boss, Politician.
Then there are qualities themselves, which are quite rare - Speed, Hope, Rage, and so on.
How is being a Prince considered a talent, some of you may ask? Who knows!
Oh, and one more thing. There's traditionally one SHSL Luck schmuck in with everyone else. Some random student only there because they won a raffle. Not to say that luck isn't a pretty kick-ass talent to have.
And if you're feeling really adventurous, you could always go the route of SHSL ???, and forget what your talent is altogether!
Choose wisely!

Application Form: - I'd appreciate if you'd PM me these, but there's nothing stopping you from applying in-thread should you so wish. I'll be posting all the profiles in-thread anyway when the game starts. You may be PMed after applying for some additional information.
Name: (Or at least what you want everyone else to call you.)
Physical Appearance: (What you look like, what you're wearing, etc. No need to go into elaborate detail, but don't be too sparse either.)
Super High-School Level: (What have you done to get in here?)
Please spare any backstory for the followup PM.

________________________________________________________________________________​______________________________
[Image: Roster.png]
12-26-2013, 04:06 AM (This post was last modified: 12-27-2013 01:05 PM by Vancho1.)
RE: Dangan Ronpa - The Forum Game
Skeleton app.

Name: Yamamoto Ryuu (Name is written in the surname, given name style. Selected meanings: 山本 (Base of the mountain) 竜 (Dragon).)

Physical Appearance: Ryuu is a skinny, lanky boy, with long legs and arms and sharp body features. He has a nose which protrudes like a beak from his face, a rare atavism in his family. His hair is short and spiky, and he dyes the tips red. He wears a shirt with a starched stiff collar and black dress pants, along with a vest with multiple pockets, some hidden. An antique pocket-watch resides next to his heart, which he checks regularly. Ryuu wears glasses, which have a tendency to reflect light in an eerie manner. He takes pride in his appearance, and keeps his shoes shining black and wears brass buttons and cuff-links.

Super High-School Level: Statistician. Comes from a long family of accountants, can calculate probabilities and apply them with frightening accuracy.

The one, the only, Vancho!
12-26-2013, 08:21 AM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2014 07:34 AM by Coldblooded.)
Alright sure, why not. I'm feeling adventurous today.

Name: Irene Falk
Physical Appearance: Kim is a dark-haired girl of mostly Scandinavian descent. Back home in Alaska she would hardly ever leave the house without at least a couple layers of clothes on, but since moving down here for school she's taken to wearing T-shirts and shorts/jeans pretty much all year round. Kim always wears a falconry glove over her left hand, as well as a second pad on her shoulders. (So that she doesn't have to hold her arm up all day.)
She is rarely ever seen without her favorite bird, a Peregrine Falcon named Kelly. (Click for picture.) Kelly is a pretty rad bird, in my completely unsubjective opinion.
Super High-School Level: Falconer
11037?: Yes please.

Tumblr/Steam
12-26-2013, 11:04 AM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2014 07:48 AM by insanityIncarnate.)
Currently Confirmed Character Roster:
[Image: 1Taro.png] - SHSL Conspiracy Theorist - Taro Yamada
[Image: 1Roland.png] - SHSL Pyrotechnics Expert - Roland Greyuun
[Image: 1Irene.png] - SHSL Falconer - Irene Falk
[Image: 2Taro.png] [Image: 2Roland.png] [Image: 2Irene.png]
12-26-2013, 11:51 AM
My sprite is beautiful
12-27-2013, 01:21 PM
Two new classmates:

[Image: 1Aiko.png] - SHSL Chemist - Aiko Daichi

[Image: 1Sebastian.png] - SHSL ??? - Sebastian Misawa

[Image: 2Aiko.png] [Image: 2Sebastian.png]

Currently Confirmed Character Roster:
[Image: 1Irene.png] - SHSL Falconer - Irene "Kim" Falk
[Image: 2Taro.png] [Image: 2Roland.png] [Image: 2Irene.png] [Image: 2Aiko.png] [Image: 2Sebastian.png]

Housing 5/16 students.
12-27-2013, 04:30 PM
It's a nice touch how we all look incredibly suspicious of the person directly to our right, except for the conspiracy theorist who's eyeing that page border like he thinks it's about to jump out at him any second now.

(My eyes are up here Aiko.)

Tumblr/Steam
12-27-2013, 04:42 PM
Two New Classmates:

[Image: 1Yamamoto.png] - SHSL Statistician - Yamamoto Ryuu

[Image: 1Suzuki.png] - SHSL Hunter - Suzuki Meme

[Image: 2Yamamoto.png] [Image: 2Suzuki.png]

7/16 Students accounted for.
12-28-2013, 01:37 PM
I almost wonder: Are there even 15 people on this part of the forums?
12-28-2013, 02:12 PM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2013 02:12 PM by Vancho1.)
One can always hope.

12-28-2013, 02:47 PM
I can feel the despair mounting already uppupupupuppupupupu
12-28-2013, 02:50 PM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2013 02:51 PM by insanityIncarnate.)
In the event that we fall short in terms of people, I could always extend the invitation to either other forum sections or cross-forum altogether.

Surely there'd be some chaps in the Roleplay sections willing to give this a look, at least, no?

Either way, chin up!

We're over halfway there!
[Image: 1Jakk%C4%AB.png] - SHSL Gamer - Jakkī Bokkusu
[Image: 1Lucey.png] - SHSL Hamboning - Lucey Jennings (Believe me, I'm just as confused as the rest of you.)

[Image: 2Jakk%C4%AB.png][Image: 2Lucey.png]
12-28-2013, 03:25 PM
Hamboning is when you hit parts of your own body to create music. Like, slapping your thigh repeatedly, then your shoulder, etc
12-28-2013, 03:41 PM
AAGH FAT SOUTHERN PEOPLE! IT'S MY WORST NIGHTMARE!!!

PLEASE! I LIVE IN NASHVILLE JUST TO AVOID ALL THE CONSERVATIVE REDNECKS! TAKE HER AWAY FROM MEEEEEEEE

((Sounds of far-off screaming crackling through the Grand Ole Opry performance on the radio.))

12-28-2013, 07:54 PM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2013 07:55 PM by insanityIncarnate.)
Another bunch of you bastards!
These spots are selling like hotcakes!
[Image: 1Emil.png] - SHSL Memory - Emil Avetisyan
[Image: 1Paige.png] - SHSL Pilot - Paige Schlesinger
[Image: 1Jared.png] - SHSL Jack of All Trades - Jared Greene

[Image: 2Emil.png] [Image: 2Paige.png] [Image: 2Jared.png]

3/4 of the way there, folks! 4 spots left!
12-29-2013, 08:10 AM
Just one more this time.
[Image: 1Aya.png] - SHSL Mistress - Aya Shizuka
[Image: 2Aya.png]

13/16 Students accounted for.
12-29-2013, 08:55 AM (This post was last modified: 12-29-2013 09:12 AM by AProcrastinatingWriter.)
I'm, like a lot of other people, sending in a PM requesting in.

However, I would like to post a request in this topic.

I have, like I suspect many of the people in this thread have, read the infamous Let's Play that started this whole thing. HOWEVER, I have only read the first three or four (it's been a while) of the first game's six(?) cases, and know nothing of the second game. So I know how the game goes, basically, I just don't know how it went.

I don't suspect anyone was going to anyway, but I'd like to formally request that we avoid references - even vague allusions - to either of the already existing Dangan games.

Sorry for the trouble!

EDIT: Okay maybe a few vague allusions I ain't trying to be draconian here I just wanna avoid spoilers

[Image: g4osirL.jpg]
12-29-2013, 09:16 AM
I wasn't planning anything beyond general hope/despair/SHSL stuff, honestly. Considering that it's going to be a game, and at least one person is assumed to have read the LP, there will be some differences in execution.

12-29-2013, 09:22 AM
I have heard of Dangan-Ronpa,but I have never read the let's play.

So I'm going into this blind.

YaY!
12-29-2013, 09:40 AM
If you can't get past the paywall, someone is in the process of translating SDR2.
http://danganronpa2mirror.tumblr.com/

dC Wrote:donut is A FILTHY TRAITOR unreliable
12-29-2013, 10:00 AM (This post was last modified: 12-29-2013 10:05 AM by AProcrastinatingWriter.)
(12-29-2013 09:40 AM)icanhasdonut Wrote:  If you can't get past the paywall, someone is in the process of translating SDR2.
http://danganronpa2mirror.tumblr.com/

I'm waiting on the official English translation of the first game so I can play it myself, actually. (Though I doubt that was fully directed at me.)

I'll check this out if...what are they calling it..."Trigger Happy Havoc" doesn't sell well enough for the sequel to be translated, though.

[Image: g4osirL.jpg]
12-29-2013, 11:32 AM
I have 0 knowledge about Dangan Ronpa, outside of what my brother has told me in regards as to playing it.

Working Name: Anarkismo
12-29-2013, 02:54 PM
Late 4 class as usual!

Name: Nozomi Kurosawa (female)
Physical Appearance: Nozomi is 5' 8" and weighs 148 pounds. She has long, black hair that she never styles, so it is very messy. She likes to wear a leather jacket over a black t-shirt, black jeans, sneakers, and glasses.
Super High-School Level: Good Luck (or if that's what ??? secretly is, SHSL thief.)
(Backstory and esp. personality to be included after confirmation, obviously.)
12-29-2013, 06:27 PM (This post was last modified: 12-29-2013 06:33 PM by insanityIncarnate.)
I'm gonna do my best to keep allusions to both other games to a minimum, but there'll certainly be a small amount needed. I'll veil them as much as is possible, though.

The entirety of SDR2 is actually translated, but you'll need to switch sources a few times as you go along to get the whole thing.
From what I've heard, there's also a possibility of an official English release.

We're full!
[Image: 1Clare.png] - SHSL Doctor - Clare Indigo Church
[Image: 1Maki.png] - SHSL Supervillain - Maki Katsutoshi
[Image: 1Nozomi.png] - SHSL Good Luck - Nozomi Kurosawa
[Image: 2Clare.png] [Image: 2Maki.png] [Image: 2Nozomi.png]

16/16 Students! Goal Reached!

We'll be waiting another few days before actually starting, as some people haven't gotten around to finishing their applications completely.
12-29-2013, 06:36 PM (This post was last modified: 12-29-2013 06:42 PM by Aya.)
Can't wait for the game to begin though I still haven't finished my backstory yet.

The sprites look really awesome btw. ^_^
01-05-2014, 11:16 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2014 05:26 AM by insanityIncarnate.)
Thank ye kindly!

Quick Roll Call/Character Recap:

[Image: 1Irene.png] - SHSL Falconer - Irene Falk

[Image: 1Yamamoto.png] - SHSL Statistician - Yamamoto Ryuu

[Image: 1Suzuki.png] - SHSL Hunter - Suzuki Meme

[Image: 1Jakk%C4%AB.png] - SHSL Gamer - Jakkī Bokkusu

[Image: 1Lucey.png] - SHSL Hamboning - Lucey Jennings

[Image: 1Emil.png] - SHSL Memory - Emil Avetisyan

[Image: 1Paige.png] - SHSL Pilot - Paige Schlesinger

[Image: 1Jared.png] - SHSL Jack of All Trades - Jared Greene

[Image: 1Aya.png] - SHSL Mistress - Aya Shizuka

[Image: 1Clare.png] - SHSL Doctor - Clare Indigo Church

[Image: 1Maki.png] - SHSL Supervillain - Maki Katsutoshi

[Image: 1Nozomi.png] - SHSL Good Luck - Nozomi Kurosawa
The ones with unbolded, uncolored titles have yet to fully complete their applications.

16 of 16 start buttons pressed!
01-05-2014, 11:27 PM
[presses start button repeatedly]

01-06-2014, 02:43 AM
Hey guys. Good to see the forum is up and running again. ^_^

I should have my character story finished hopefully by tomorrow.
01-06-2014, 05:20 AM
[presses up down up down left right b a]

01-06-2014, 11:13 AM
Great forums work again!

Going to hopeful finish off my character backstory tomorrow.
01-07-2014, 04:46 PM
*Turns on PSP
*Selects New Game
*Selects Save file
*Sets Logic Difficulty to "Malicious"
*Sets Action Difficulty to "Malicious"
*Presses Start Button ^_^
01-08-2014, 10:05 PM
When is the game expected to start?
01-08-2014, 10:18 PM
Looks like we're waiting for two more people.

01-08-2014, 11:31 PM
Should be soon.
01-09-2014, 12:27 AM
Staaaaart!

Sorry, I've thought for the longest time that the forums were still down. Apparently they merely moved.
01-09-2014, 08:15 AM
Just waiting on MLaRF and we can begin.
01-09-2014, 12:17 PM
Do we have to press start in the thread or no? I just sent the PM tonight because I didn't know the forums were back up.

...*presses start*
01-10-2014, 06:16 AM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2014 07:44 AM by insanityIncarnate.)
And the quicktopics have been sent out!
If anyone wants an observer role, don't hesitate to PM me.
Alternatively, I'll be transcribing events to this thread over time.
Let the games begin!

01-13-2014, 06:45 AM
New plan!
Transcriptions will be in chapters.
When the first major event rolls around, so will the first major post.
01-23-2014, 09:57 AM
On hiatus for a few days.
Just found out my dog died.
01-27-2014, 01:07 AM
I'm dropping out. Quicktopics are confusing to use and easily lost.
01-27-2014, 10:31 AM
If that means there's a free spot i'll take it of course it could just mean that tam's the first dead...
01-27-2014, 11:59 AM
>not bookmarking your QT
>not storing extra QT links in your first QT
>not being a QT

01-31-2014, 07:18 AM
Alright guys, we're back.
Updates are on a shaky schedule for another day or two, though, as there's a minor conflict with the internet provider.
02-03-2014, 07:41 AM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2014 08:06 AM by insanityIncarnate.)
Sorry to hear that, Tam.
Unfortunately, the sprawling web of Quicktopics is actually the only thing I've found that manages to be both manageable and fair.
Hector, I appreciate that, but I've already worked things out with MasterBlade.
I can, however, offer you an observer role, or a pre-emptive reserve spot in the event that there is ever a sequel.
02-03-2014, 12:10 PM
I guess i'll take the reserve….
02-03-2014, 03:32 PM
Incidentally, Taro Yamada looks almost exactly like I do IRL. Adapting to the character won't be that difficult. :V
02-06-2014, 11:53 PM
Make sure you constantly accuse everyone of being Illuminati, or working for Monsanto
02-07-2014, 12:04 AM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2014 12:04 AM by MasterBlade.)
I've already crafted a hard evidence "proof" clearly showing how and why Jakkī Bokkusu is an alien. Is that a good start?
02-07-2014, 12:10 AM
Wouldn't being a SHSL one mean you'd only come up with ACCURATE theories? :3