Wings of Fury
01-14-2014, 07:34 PM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2014 07:46 PM by Kocel.)
RE: Wings of Fury
Salandius had been seated at the table hiding behind a curtain before most others had arrived. He had already enjoyed a drink, and was on his second cup of wine. He mumbles to himself as rotates the cup slowly in his hand.

"... Hm... Two dwarves... Some sort of snake... lizard.. creature? And, of course, a Kol."

He sighs, massaging his forehead.

"Are these what pass for 'heroes' in the land of Haskol? Verus help me, this hunt could be my end."

Taking a long sip off his cup, he emerges from the curtain, forcing a smile, and begins to speak with a much louder, much more 'friendly' voice as he approaches the table.

"Greetings, fellow hopeful dragon slayers! I know peasants and commoners such as yourselves fear creatures of magic such as dragons, but worry not! The all-powerful Arcanus Korandus IV of the Trydessian Arcanate has, in his wisdom, sent a TRYDESSIAN hero of noble blood to help the other nations of this land keep their people safe! A hero known as Salandius Shahzar!"

He spreads his arms wide.

"In case you haven't guessed," he smirks, "That would be I. Pleasure to make your acquaintances."

He sits down, sitting his cup carefully upon the table's surface, and continues, his face taking on a solemn look.

"I know that, unfortunately, some of you might have... colored opinions of the Trydessian Arcanate. Opinions based off of fear, off of ethnic grudges, maybe even based on tales passed down through your nation. I hope to persuade you to see that those opinions are not necessarily true! The Arcanus merely wants what is best for all the people in this world. A peaceful, more structured tomorrow! The dragon we shall slay will be nothing, my friends, nothing compared to the dragon of fear and ignorance! But I have faith that we shall, The Fifteen willing, slay both! To the slaying of dragons!"

Salandius takes hold of his cup and thrusts it up high in a toast, proceeding to drain it of what wine was left in it. He considered ordering another. Facing a dragon with a company composed of peasants and savage barbarians? Vara knows he'd need to be as drunk as he could get not to worry about THAT.

Started with five gold, now 4 gold, 9 silver, 2 copper.
01-14-2014, 07:59 PM
Uproars laughter came from one of the other rooms within the inn and a Halfling quickly makes his way inside, pint in hand and grinning.
"Aaand don't you worry my good sir! That ring's lucky charm makes all the lovely ladies in town flock to yer side! You'll see!"

He jumped on a chair and raised his mug "Aaah the wonders of free ale and easy to reach coin purses!, Good day lads! Here to slay a dragon?"
01-14-2014, 08:03 PM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2014 08:07 PM by Demonsul.)
Etep looked to where the noble Trydessian fop had come out from skulking behind a curtain. Compared to his countrymen, Etep had a comparatively friendly relationship with the Trydessians, meaning he didn't always want to watch them die slow and painful deaths if he had other things to do. His face twisted into a visage of disgust.

Fortunately, before he was forced to treat with the Trydessian, a halfling showed up and stole everyone's attention. As terrible as the thieving bastard reputation the halflings of these northern kingdoms had was, there was no way they were less agreeable than Trydessians. He introduced himself to the newcomer. "Etep Khamudi, also here for dragon slaying. We should be for some adventure, yes?"
01-14-2014, 08:11 PM
Carver stops giggling, for now, and hoists his empty mug into the air at the toast of slaying dragons. "Yeah. The slaying dragons thing. Not all that dribble about the being afraid of dragons at the beginning, or the subtle/not so subtle insinuations that you're better than all of us. But yeah. Dragon slaying!"

Carver goes to take a drink from the mug. But it's empty because he spilled it all :(
01-14-2014, 08:50 PM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2014 08:54 PM by Galloglasses.)
Hrongr opened the door to the tavern. Walking into the room full of people laughing in the wake of the halflings shenanigans. He shared a few brusque words with the bartender before entering the back room with the others.

A Trydessian, some southerner, a bafoon with drink down his front, a dwarf and another dwarf under the table. Along with some... thing hes never seen before, but it was clothed, sitting at the table and drinking so it was not something he needn't to worry about.

He took his seat and placed his carry sack down, he spent the last few days judiciously picking out various supplies for the trip. Fresh cloth, poultices, salted travel crackers, cutting knife and other such like. He'd been travelling the coast for some time, he'd be damned if he'd die for want of clean wound dressing.

"Hrongr" He said by way of introduction from under his helm. "Does anyone know what time we can expect our host for this journey? "
01-14-2014, 09:29 PM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2014 09:31 PM by Bramzter.)
The halfling laughed nervously.
"Wait your serious?..You know that was kinda intended as a joke since ya'll are armed to the teeth, you look about ready to face a dragon... Oh well, Don't yah worry, ill keep a good eye out for any loot you might miss trough your helmets face plates"

He sips of his drink,

"Delvin Burrows, I am yer Provisoner, Cook and Burglar for this here journey lads! Yes you need a burglar, Dragons are to lazy to hoard themselves so they wait untill some greedy sod amasses a mountain of treasure. Greedy Folks leave traps everywhere."

He begins lighting his pipe.

"Anyone want a leaf of Ol' Muggy? Best Pipeweed in all of the land!"
01-14-2014, 09:34 PM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2014 09:35 PM by Raptarion.)
"Depends. Do you have a spare pipe?" Carver asks the halfling.
01-14-2014, 09:38 PM
"Unfortunately not. Damn bandits ransacked my cart! The nerve of some of the big folk.. Said they were working for some baron or some-other lord, accused me of vagrancy the nerve!"
01-14-2014, 09:46 PM
"Ah. Right shame that. But don't worry. Soon enough we will have killed a dragon, and I would dare any lord to steal from anyone with a title as great as 'Dragon-Slayer'. Halfling or no. In fact, I dare say nobles will be scrambling over each other to kiss your feet, I'm sure!"
01-14-2014, 11:09 PM
"I'd hope so. Damn the treasure, fame can buy one a good proper place in court. And in a court, riches trickle like waterfalls to those they humble with."

"Only problem is, we have to kill a dragon to meet that fancy. I hope one of ye can clip its wings; I'm a it disadvantaged in the altitude factor."
01-14-2014, 11:22 PM
"I think most of us can claim that when up against a dragon. Thought I must say, you seem rather tall for a dwarf. Not that I'm an expert on the matter."

(I could be totally wrong on this matter, but you never did give an exact height, and the male average for both species is a full foot apart, so I sort of split the difference as an assumption)
01-14-2014, 11:23 PM
"That's why you warrior types are on this journey, you have experience killing things."
01-14-2014, 11:29 PM
An ancient looking figure walked into the bar, coughing violently behind a hand as the other gripped tightly onto it's strange staff for support until the outburst stopped. He turned and spat a vile looking liquid back out the door, cursing under his breath in a strange, fluid tongue and closed it after him. "Milk." He rasped grumpily at the barkeep, beckoning towards the table of adventurers he was walking to and straightening up from his hunched pose. He still had his pride and would stand upright for now, he didn't want to seem too decrepit. He moved more nimbly than would be expected of any human elderly through the bar, and some added space granted to him from looking like a disease-ridden elf helped too.

"Good day." He muttered before grunting as he pulled out a chair, one-handed, with some trouble and sat down, pulling his robes into position before he did so. Once comfortably seated, he glared around the table, dark, sunken eyes from behind silver glasses daring any slight towards him. His knuckles whitened as he held his staff beside him.

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
01-14-2014, 11:36 PM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2014 11:37 PM by Bramzter.)
The Halfling scanned the new arrival for a loose coin purse. Unfortunately he couldn't find one, old people are easy to steal from, they don't hear you and half the time don't even notice they are missing something..

He exhaled a puff of smoke. ""Whatever ya got isn't contagious right?, I once stumbled upon a elf group riddled with bulbonic plague wasn't a pretty sight, and you look even worse then that."
01-14-2014, 11:39 PM
Marom remains mostly silent, not feeling chatty.

"I'm Marom. Marom Lilimandar."
01-14-2014, 11:42 PM
Carver slowly turns his head to Marom.

Where did he come from?

From the ether? The realm linked to all places and time by shadows? Heaven? Hell? A secret panel in the wall? Or had he always been there? Following him throughout his life, and he simply had never noticed?

"Carver nice to meet you!" He says, offering a hand to shake.
01-14-2014, 11:43 PM (This post was last modified: 01-15-2014 12:16 AM by MQuinny1234.)
Aldraz looked at the halfling for a moment, and blinked. "No. Nothing contagious." he muttered.

He was resisting the urge to ignite the little ninny's pipe, mostly because he had the feeling he'd ending up accidentally exploding the damn thing, and scouring, or attempting to anyway, the face off one of his travelling companions seemed like a bad start.

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
01-14-2014, 11:49 PM
Marom takes the hand, shaking firmly but not squeezing hard.

"Suppose I can say the same."

The tips of his ears have just the faintest of points, yet he's too short to be a elf.
01-14-2014, 11:50 PM
Cigar? CIGAR? NO!

ITS A GLORIOUS PIPE!

[Image: margritti-this-is-not-a-pipe.jpeg]

01-14-2014, 11:54 PM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2014 11:58 PM by Demonsul.)
Etep looked over at Aldraz with a frown. There was no love lost between him and the elves, but this one seemed exceptionally pitiable. He wasn't sure if this sickly elf would survive the quest, but he supposed that wasn't his concern. If the elf wanted to come on the adventure, he had no business stopping them.

There was also the short man. Etep wasn't sure what to make of him. To be honest, he wasn't sure what to make of most of these people. He decided he might as well go get a drink and sit down amongst them. There wasn't much to do except wait for the dragonslayer to arrive.
01-15-2014, 12:17 AM
Ah, I see. Edited and fixed.

01-15-2014, 12:20 AM
"So..." Carver says, looking toward the sickly elf. "Are you sure you're O.K. to travel? And fight dragons for that mater?"
01-15-2014, 12:22 AM (This post was last modified: 01-15-2014 12:24 AM by MasterBlade.)
Quote:Race: Cave Goblin; small, grey goblins adapted to the darkness of deep caverns.

I suppose you're right, I didn't specify exactly HOW small. But small usually doesn't equate to "Aren't you a little tall for a storm trooper".

"Worst come to worst, he could probably save one of the more fit members a good roasting. Best case scenario, the Dragon dies of plague."
01-15-2014, 12:24 AM
"I'm fine to travel, thanks. I got here, didn't I?" He asked rudely. "As for the fighting dragons-" he took a draught of his milk. "-even in my prime, I wouldn't be going at it with arrows and swords like you lot. Nothing's changed."

01-15-2014, 12:35 AM
"Well, if you say you can I guess I'm not going to argue. Redthorn wouldn't have invited you if he thought you weren't up to the challenge I suppose." Carver shrugs and goes back to precariously leaning back in his chair.
01-15-2014, 12:58 AM
Hrongr eyes the halfling, seeing him eye up the various individuals in the room the way a cutpurse might.
01-15-2014, 01:11 AM
"Is there a problem?"
01-15-2014, 01:33 AM
Marom pulls out both his pipes, lighting up and puffing on his smoking pipe occasionally as he plays a quiet, slow tune.
01-15-2014, 02:31 AM
Mikosi eyed the new arrivals suspiciously. A good half of them didn't seem fit to fight an especially angry deer, let alone an entire dragon. Hopefully they wouldn't get her killed.

"By the way," she added, finishing her first mug of ale, "I'm an alchemist. I'm capable of making most potions you might need." And poisons, she thought, but they don't need to know that.
01-15-2014, 02:36 AM
"OH! What kind of potions can alchemists make? I'm only aware of a supposed cure-all that an old friend of mine bought. Bless his soul, the thing caused him to cough up his kidney. I think it was his kidney at least. Point is I don't know much about alchemy."
01-15-2014, 02:45 AM (This post was last modified: 01-15-2014 02:45 AM by Kocel.)
Salandius regards the halfling and the half-dead elf with a look of worry on his face.

"... A moment, friends, I'll return shortly."

He exits the room and returns with another full glass of wine.

4 gold, 8 silver, 8 copper
01-15-2014, 02:45 AM
"They can't brew anything if they don't 'ave the right ingredients, besides that its a art, like good cookin'. Do you have enough supplies or are we having to go rely on foraging?"
01-15-2014, 02:47 AM
"Neither did the con-artist who sold that cure apparently, although it's fairly impressive that he brewed something that had such a result. Would like to know how it was crafted."

01-15-2014, 02:57 AM
"Sounds like quite the poison your friend was given. I've got my own supplies - enough for this journey, at least. I can probably find materials in the wilderness, but I'd rather not have to rely on that. Hard enough to get ingredients as it is, when just about every merchant in Haskol seems to double their prices whenever I walk in the door."

Mikosi took another large swig of ale. "I can make plenty of things. Mostly medicines, but I can also make potions to make you faster, stronger, and less flammable. Temporarily, at least. A few experimental ones, too, but you don't want to try those until I've perfected them."
01-15-2014, 08:03 AM
"I'll take two of the fire defense ones. Potions cost a copper right?"
01-15-2014, 08:12 AM (This post was last modified: 01-15-2014 08:12 AM by MQuinny1234.)
"Suppose a fire defense potion could help. If it wasn't aiming directly at you." hypothesised Aldraz.

01-15-2014, 08:15 AM
Mikosi gave Carver an angry three-eyed glare.

"Was that a joke? They're worth at least a gold apiece. The shops around here usually sell them for three. Even minor healing potions are worth a silver, and the ingredients for those are much easier to come by."

Mikosi downed the rest of her drink, calming down. "But, if we're getting as much money as I hope we are from this adventure, price won't matter for a little while. I'll provide whatever potions are necessary for our survival. Money's useless to the dead."
01-15-2014, 08:17 AM
"..."
Carver isn't sure how to react to the outburst.
"Uh... sorry?" He says, confused.
01-15-2014, 08:20 AM
Mikosi sighed. "Don't worry about it. You didn't know. I've been forced to undersell my potions for years around here. It's hard to make a living that way. That's why I'm here."
01-15-2014, 08:25 AM
"Ah. Understandable. I really would pay if I had any money left. Maybe I can get some along the way. Trip over a treasure chest like Hector. Heh. That Hector was one lucky bastard. Until the whole poison incident I told you about. That wasn't all that lucky."
Carver shrugs. "But, that's life I guess."
01-15-2014, 08:33 AM
The halfling tipped his hat up in intrest.

"Ever considered being a travelin merchant? Village folk pay good gold if they are convinced what yer sellin is good, even when it isn't, Yah don't get too deal with the racism a lot, Compared to them big city that is"

He paused a bit.

"Only downside is the lack of safity and supplies... And monsters o'course. "
01-15-2014, 08:44 AM
"Nah. Monsters are an upside. You kill them, and you usually have some grateful townsfolk willing to give you free booze. Also, they usually have something cool on them. Like an enchanted necklace. Or a cursed necklace. The first one good for wearing. The second one good for selling to back ally occultists."
01-15-2014, 08:46 AM
"You know, that might be a good idea... I've tried to stay away from the roads when possible, though. It's dangerous out there alone." Mikosi indicated the scar on her face. "Bandits. They ended up worse off than I did, at least."

Mikosi lifted her mug, disappointed to find it empty. She decided against ordering another - she wanted to be somewhat sober when Halevax showed up.
01-15-2014, 08:59 AM (This post was last modified: 01-15-2014 09:00 AM by Bramzter.)
((Where did my post go? Er sorry bout that))

"Yeah, Bandits and Ruffians, They are the worst, It is best to just act along till they come within reach"

The halflings smirk becomes disconcerting

"THEN you stab them in the knees! and kick thier faces in! who's laughing now!?"

"...."

Delvin coughs awkwardly
01-15-2014, 09:24 AM
Sorry sorry sorry I had classes all day and aahhhhhhhh

An anxious looking man enters the inn, completely unarmed and unarmoured except for a longsword at his belt.

That man was none other than Cyrus, and he now looked around the tavern for the other explorers who had doubtlessly heard the call of the dragonhunt. After a few minutes, he wondered why there were so few noble adventurers waiting - he figured a dragon would have attracted more people than a Trydessian and dwarf.

Cyrus casually walks up to Salandius.

"Good to see a fellow knight around, I am Cyrus Arcite. Are you here for the dragon hunt?"
01-15-2014, 09:31 AM
And the door suddenly flew open. In the doorway stood a bear of a man, with a horned helmet and a beard that reached his chest. An axe was hanging on his back, and he wore what appeared to be chain leather.

He proceeded to sit at the bar and order a drink, because he wasn't Halevax Redthorn.

A few seconds after him, however, came another man. Average in height with a short beard, a longsword at his side, a chain grappling hook on his belt, and two hooks sheathed on his lower back. He wore chainmail of good quality, and carried a shield on his back. He could be considered rather plain by human standards, and had plenty of scars.

"Ah, good to see you all here!" he said, walking over and taking a seat. "Okay, I'm going to explain a few things. One is that dragons of that age are absolutely terrifying, and you should not engage the creature under any circumstances. If I die, run like hell. Two, I'm paying you each twenty gold to come along for the ride. I don't expect you to do anything when we get there except pay attention, because I'm doing this for your benefit. Three, let's all try to have fun, eh? Sound like a plan?"
01-15-2014, 09:35 AM
"I'm not sure how I feel about not doing anything. Isn't the point of fighting a dragon to, you know, fight it?"
01-15-2014, 09:35 AM
"Just watch? That's it?" Something about this seemed rather odd to Mikosi, not that she was about to turn down payment for doing relatively little.
01-15-2014, 09:39 AM
"Sounds relaxing. I'm up for it." Muttered Aldraz.

01-15-2014, 09:42 AM
"This is your first dragon, my friend," said Halevax to Carver and Mikosi. "And it is a mighty beast. The problem is that you aren't equipped for this sort of thing yet. You need proper shields to reflect their fire, armor to withstand the residual heat, and a good deal of other equipment to effectively counter their advantages over you. Don't worry, after this one I'll give you your money and take you to buy some proper equipment. I have a few other dragons on my list that require visitations."