Wings of Fury
01-15-2014, 09:45 AM
RE: Wings of Fury
Carver grins. "That sounds nice to me. I usually prefer to learn by doing, but I understand the wisdom of not fighting a dragon unprepared."
01-15-2014, 09:48 AM
"Wait, these other guys are adventurers," Cyrus whispers to himself, "right, of course Sir Halevax, is this dragon weaker than the others on your list? I assume these other dragons are why you need our help, if we're just to watch you kill this one."
01-15-2014, 09:50 AM
"Understandable," Mikosi replied, glancing at her severely weathered swords. "I can provide potions if you have any need of them."
01-15-2014, 12:00 PM
"I won't turn down an easy 20," Hrongr said. "I was wondering how I was going to withstand dragon-fire anyway."
01-15-2014, 04:43 PM
"Hm... So you're effectively recruiting us to form your own team of dragon slayers... Curious strategy."

Salandius takes another sip from his cup.

"Tell me, though, what is to stop us from taking the twenty gold from this laughably easy job and going on with our business? This involves a lot of financial risk."

He shrugs.

"Regardless, I suppose I don't mind such a trivial job. Though I do wish we could have a larger claim to the glory."
01-15-2014, 04:51 PM
Cyrus raises an eyebrow. "You would turn down the glory of slaying dragon after dragon? The throngs of grateful men and women, the fame, the riches they guard?"
01-15-2014, 05:32 PM
Etep couldn't help but grin. Either he was going to make a packet and be on his way to being a bona-fide dragon slayer, or he was going to make a packet and promptly go and do something much less dangerous. It was win-win as far as he could see, so long as he could escape the dragon's lair or hide from its wrath if this hero died.

"This sounds like good chance. I'm very in."
01-15-2014, 07:15 PM
"Sounds simple enough.. When its dead do we have some pickin's in that treasure trove of the beast? I mean ya can't carry all those gems, gold and riches by yerself, Ye best get a wagon"
01-15-2014, 08:20 PM
Hrongr idly scratched his chin. "The halfling raises a point. Do the dragons have hordes? I had figured it a bit of fancy myself all this time. But I might as well ask."
01-15-2014, 11:48 PM
((Call it 4 coins here))

Marom raises a eyebrow.

"Very well, Sir Halevax--Mind if I call you Vax?-- but what if you bite off more than you can chew on this dragon?"
01-16-2014, 12:00 AM
"He already said what happens if he bites off more than he can chew. He dies. We run away pissing our pants and hoping the dragon is too busy chewing on him to chase after us. That, or we could fight the dragon while woefully under-prepared in the hopes we get a lucky shot in. But I'm sure none of us would do that."
Something about the way Carver says that indicates he's totally planning to fight a dragon in the hopes of getting a lucky shot if things go south for Redthorn.

"But I'm sure a famous dragon slayer like Halevax knows what he's doing."
01-16-2014, 12:27 AM
"Unlikely. If the dragon knows we're there it can just as easily either come back for Halevax or fly, chew and swallow before roasting us and our horses. Best case scenario if we run, we split up and not all of us die because we're not worth the effort."

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
01-16-2014, 04:37 AM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2014 04:43 AM by Cidellus.)
"First thing: Dragons do not have hoards. At least the smart ones don't. They sure as hell can't spend money, and hoards just tend to attract the greedy kind of adventurer," said Halevax. "Second: There's always a risk when you fight a multi-ton winged fire-breathing semi-magical lizard. I've killed dragons like this before, but I could easily perish if one thing goes wrong. Hence why you're getting paid good gold to watch, and why you need to have fast feet if the worst happens. Now let's get the hell out of here and kill us a dragon!"

[Image: Path%20to%20dragonland.png]

With the group agreeing (or mostly agreeing) to head out, Halevax led them off. Leaving through the north gate, they went along one of Haskol's main inland roads, witnessing the verdant (and very boring) farmland of Haskol on their way out. They made good progress, traveling 150 miles in seven days. During this time, the good Halevax recounted quite a few tales to them. Some of other heroes (such as Grefdow Aloran, Ponever the Crimson, Terana Seaflame, and the still-living Valan the Demonbane), and some belonging to himself. He also recounted quite a bit of dragon lore.

Dragons never hoarded gold, and most dragons kept their distance from civilization. Those dragons were left alone, in turn, by dragon slayers. The dragons they needed to worry about were the ones unwary of the civilized lands, for they often saw fit to steal cattle, kill villagers (and sometimes villages), and make themselves an overall problem. The dragon they were going to slay, Xeralis, had been harassing (and threatening) a number of Eorekan villages and towns. She needed to be put down.He also explained ancient history, naming the dragons Grefdow had slain and how he'd slain them. Cyrus probably knew all this, considering his heritage. By all accounts Grefdow seemed like an incredibly badass motherfucker, which explains how he founded an entire kingdom of heroes.

They were now hiking through the mountains. The dragon's lair was close.

Once this part is over, you guys will be completely free. I just had to railroad you for a bit.

You'll see why soon enough.
01-16-2014, 04:42 AM
"I have been lied too by the stupid stories... stupid bloody hoards..."
01-16-2014, 04:58 AM
"Never trust bedtime stories, master hobbit."
01-16-2014, 04:59 AM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2014 05:00 AM by MasterBlade.)
"You think too small. Giant mythical killbeast hide is a guaranteed marketable asset."

Morthol made great strides with the rugged terrain of the mountains. Whether it be a dwarf thing to tackle rock outcrops like a champ or some other training, even the heavy armor he wore seemed light with the movements he was making.

"So, Mr. Dragon Slayer, which bone of a dragon do you suppose is best for carving? I like carving things. Bones have that sort of... appeal. Very light, very solid depending on the creature..."

"Bones bones bones..."
01-16-2014, 05:05 AM
Carver was eating some rabbit that Artemis had caught for him yesterday. It was bland, but it was food. Free food at that. So far, he hadn't tripped over any treasure chests to pay for the potions, but he was still in a good mood. He was about to witness a real life dragon slayer at work! He never even dreamed something this awesome could actually happen.
01-16-2014, 05:07 AM
"Bones?" said Etep, looking all at ease as he rode along. "Trust dwarf to find craftsmanship in all things. But maybe. I once saw man at market selling things made of elephant ivory. Maybe dragon ivory valuable too?"
01-16-2014, 05:13 AM
"There are a few draconic components I could find useful..." added Aldraz, riding a gray horse. "Others would certainly be valuable to some colleagues of mine, if for nothing else than research purposes. Dragon flesh is hard enough to come by."

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
01-16-2014, 05:21 AM
"Maybe dragons contain alchemical materials as well. I would like to investigate this." Mikosi rode along comfortably, obviously experienced with horse-riding. "Better to gather all we can from the beast than let it rot away."
01-16-2014, 05:45 AM
"Or perhaps it is all useless."
01-16-2014, 05:52 AM
"Well...That depends on the hybridisation of magic and science inside the big damn lizard. Quite fascinating really, the more I think about it. Same as werewolves and vampires possibly, which I know much more about than dragons. A third race to look at would be good to see if common factors can be determined."

01-16-2014, 05:52 AM
"Meat is never useless." Hrongr said. "I wonder what dragon flesh tastes like... how would you even cook it?"
01-16-2014, 05:56 AM
Etep seemed to pale at Hrongr's suggestion. "Eat it? No, I see making things out of dragons is alright. Same as people with hair and bone in crafts. Not eating dragons, they can think. Ugh."
01-16-2014, 05:57 AM
"I wonder how flame resistant dragon meat is..."

01-16-2014, 05:59 AM
"Dragons can think?" Hrongr said, surprised. "I thought they were just really large animals, much like mammoths only violent and fiery."
01-16-2014, 06:00 AM
"You not pay much attention, do you?" chided Etep.
01-16-2014, 06:02 AM
"You may be surprised how smart some of the animals we eat are." Carver chips in.
01-16-2014, 06:03 AM
"Oh I just didn't think it was serious. Most wild animals stay away from humans because we're usually too much trouble, I didn't consider them reasoning creatures."
01-16-2014, 06:04 AM
Etep gave Carver a concerned look. "Yes, but most people draw line at talking. Or discussing philosophy."
01-16-2014, 06:10 AM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2014 06:11 AM by Raptarion.)
"Do dragons talk? Or discuss philosophy for that matter? Because if they don't, I'm totally for eating dragon meat."
01-16-2014, 06:17 AM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2014 06:18 AM by Cidellus.)
"LOOK OUT!" roared Halevax, pointing to a rapidly-approaching gigantic form.

Halevax dismounted his horse as an enormous red dragon landed twenty feet ahead of him. She was probably a hundred feet in length, with glowing red eyes and spikes down the sides of her back. Two massive black horns protruded from her head. She had four legs, along with the two large wings coming from her upper back. She was muscular, yet aerodynamic, and appeared well-suited for aerial combat.

Oh, hello. Dragon Slayers, are we? You guys look less-prepared every century, she said mentally, her voice feminine and seeming to reverberate throughout their minds. And to the short Nordic man, yes we are good at reasoning. Better than you. To the even shorter human, we talk and discuss philosophy quite frequently.

It is worth noting that everybody's horses were panicking.
01-16-2014, 06:18 AM
Hrongr looked up at the towering dragon.

"Well, fuck."
01-16-2014, 06:18 AM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2014 06:20 AM by Bramzter.)
"It probably would go good with some peppermint, thyme and rosemary.. Slow roasted above a lovely campfire, some taters and omelets with it.."

Then the dragon appeared

"eeerrr..nevermind."
01-16-2014, 06:19 AM
Etep struggled to stop his horse Paraemheb freaking the fuck out, also trying to keep himself from equally freaking the fuck out. The dragon was right there, it was huge and it was taunting them.
01-16-2014, 06:19 AM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2014 06:21 AM by Raptarion.)
"...well now I'd just feel guilty eating you." Carver says.

Artemis, who had been following the group around, caws and flies away as fast as he could. Carver was currently trying to calm his horse down with his limited ability to talk to animals.
01-16-2014, 06:24 AM
"Well, worst case scenario it is I guess." Aldraz attempted to sooth his own horse, but without using mental magic, magic like that was dangerous for him now. Best not to spread his mind thin even a little.

He began to mutter under his breath, preparing a few temporary charms to increase his magical potential.

01-16-2014, 06:25 AM
Well if his job was just to watch, Etep was going to do so from a safe distance. No use taunting the dragon when everyone was easily in firebreath range. He tried to guide his panicking horse away from the bulk of the group, putting himself behind a nearby large rocky outcropping.
01-16-2014, 06:26 AM
Meanwhile Hrongr, calmly walked behind a goddamn boulder, drew his sword and shield and tried to make himself a small target.

Because gods in the Eternal Palace, that things was FUCKING HUEG.
01-16-2014, 06:31 AM
"Sooo.. You're an absolutely tall dragon, Miss Dragon?.. I'd assume you would have a fearsome title like all fearsome mons- er.. creatures of might have right?"
01-16-2014, 06:40 AM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2014 06:42 AM by Raptarion.)
"I'm going to guess something like... mountain-walker. Or montain burner. Something with with mountain in it. Or maybe 'The all hearing', because you seem to have heard us from far away."
01-16-2014, 06:45 AM
The dragon turned her head to stare directly at the halfling. She narrowed her eyes, then blew out a large cloud of smoke from her nostrils, causing the adventurers great discomfort.

Quiet, you, she said before turning back to the adventurer. So, are you from Aloran? You seem Aloranic.

"I don't need to answer your questions, beast!" roared Halevax, circling around the creature to change the direction of her future burst of flames. He didn't want it to hit the rest of the party.

A beast, am I? Well, if that's the case, then I suppose I should savagely rip you to shreds and feast upon your corpse, she said, sounding quite offended. You're the one so eager to fight.

"You massacred four villages!" yelled Halevax.

And they tasted delicious.
01-16-2014, 06:46 AM
Morthol is hiding behind a rock. His horse has already bailed.

This adventure in learning and discovery seemed a lot less frightening on paper.
01-16-2014, 06:49 AM
Carver isn't making any move to hide behind rocks or the like. But he is planning an escape route and is trying to get a wide berth between him and the dragon.
01-16-2014, 06:50 AM
"Er.. Carver? Let us get out of the firing line.. It doesn't seem quite that eager to talk."

Delvin bailed out of the intimidate area and hid behind a rock
01-16-2014, 06:50 AM
Hrongr peeked around the boulder.

His helmeted head mde the motion way more obvious then he thought it would
01-16-2014, 06:51 AM
"You hide if you want Delvin. I don't want to miss anything."
01-16-2014, 06:55 AM
Aldraz pulled his horse away, which it was fairly willing to do, still mouthing spells in preparation.

01-16-2014, 06:57 AM
Etep's view was plenty good from the shelter of the rocky outcropping. It came with the added benefit of not being immediately in the line of fire should the dragon get bored and resort to setting everything ablaze. Fear aside, he was incredibly interested to see what kind of tactics the dragonslayer had in store for this thing.

However, Paraemheb was refusing to calm down. Etep was forced to dismount and try and calm the poor horse. In the event this all went tits up, he'd need a mount to escape quickly.
01-16-2014, 07:11 AM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2014 07:13 AM by Cidellus.)
Carver's horse bucked him off and booked it, because dragon+smoke=pure terror.

Meanwhile, Halevax was looking at the dragon with rage in his eyes. His helmet was now on, horned in all its glory.

"COME AT ME, DRAGON! SHOW ME YOUR METTLE! YOU SHALL FIND ME FAR TOUGHER THAN A DEFENSELESS VILLAGER!" he roared.

The dragon laughed mentally, then unleashed a massive torrent of fire on Halevax. The torrent kept up for almost ten seconds before she relented, waiting for the smoke to clear. When the smoke did indeed clear, Halevax was kneeling behind his shield with a scowl on his face. He threw his grappling hook, wrapping it around the dragon's neck. The dragon took off at that, causing Halevax to trail behind her, clinging onto the chain with all his power.