Complete The Resistance: Avalon
05-02-2014, 04:04 AM (This post was last modified: 03-24-2015 10:14 AM by amosmyn.)
The Resistance: Avalon
Hi, I felt like setting up a game of "The Resistance: Avalon" this game has many of the same features of the original resistance game but includes some fun role cards and gets a cool Arthurian setting. As many of the rules are so similar I have stolen and repurposed the rules from Scoffles first "The Resistance" post a little over a year ago.

This is a game for five to ten players.

1. Donut
2. pEclipse
3. Granolaman
4. Deviant1
5. Pala
MINIMUM CUT OFF POINT
6. Oz
7. Anacreon
8. Speedchuck
9. Zatch
10. Amosmyn

You are knights of the round table. But a third of you (rounding up) are minions of Mordred, who have disguised themselves as knights and are attempting to sabotage the completion of your quests. If three of the five quests fail, the loyal knights will lose and the minions of Mordred will win.

________
Gameplay goes as such:
Pre-Game -
I will inform each of you whether you are loyal or a minion of Mordred.
I will tell you what role you have, the roles include Merlin, Sir Percival, Morgana and the Assassin. I will explain what each of these roles do lower down in the post.
I will inform each minion who the other minions. (NOTE: unlike mafia games, the minions will NOT be able to talk privately).
I will then tell Merlin who all of the minions are.

One player will be randomly selected to be the leader of the first mission.
________
Game start -
Gameplay proceeds through a series of five missions.
The leader of the mission will cycle through the players.
Missions will require a certain number of players to complete, this depends on how many players we have so I will tell you how many will go on each quest closer to the time.
________
The leader will select his team from the players after a discussion phase.
Each other player will submit a vote to me privately on whether to approve or deny the team.
I will reveal the player votes and whether the team was approved or denied (majority rule).
If the team was denied, then the leader is rotated to the next player, they can then submit a team for aproval, this continues until the majority aproves.
If the team is approved, play proceeds to the mission attempt.
Each minion on the team may tell me if they are sabotaging the mission or not. If any minion sabotages the mission, the mission fails. (If there are 7 or more players then mission 4 requires two people to fail it.
MINION WARNING: If multiple minions are on a team and vote to sabotage, the resulting destruction will be obvious to all, and the thread will be informed of the exact number of sabotage attempts.
________
Play then proceeds to the next player and repeats until either three quests have succeeded or three quests have been failed.
________
If three quests are failed, the minions win. If not, then the minions get a last chance to win, if they correctly identify Merlin then they still win. If three quests succeed AND Merlin is not correctly identified then the loyal knights win.
________
THE ROLES
Merlin (Loyal) - Knows all Minions of Mordred
Sir Percival (Loyal) - Knows who the magic users are (Merlin and Morgana)
Morgana (Minion) - Appears as Merlin to Sir Percival
Assassin (Minion) - Has the final call on who to kill at the end of the game (after discussion), if they kill Merlin then their team wins

So, who is in?
05-02-2014, 04:40 AM
RE: The Resistance: Avalon
Hopefully my play last time this happened is not indicitive of this game.
05-03-2014, 05:00 PM
I'm inquisitive on what will happen, I would love to take part.
05-04-2014, 04:38 AM
Oh right, I was gonna join this. In

So Sir Percival just knows that X and Y are magic users, that's his deal?
05-04-2014, 07:01 AM
Yep that is his deal, he knows the one scum and one town magic user, being too obvious with this information can lose his team the game if he accidentally reveals Merlin though, also allows morgana to trick a person into thinking they are Merlin.
05-05-2014, 04:52 AM
Yeah I'll play why not.
05-05-2014, 06:39 AM
Sign me up, sure.
05-05-2014, 06:39 AM
in the instructions, you said, "If there are 7 or more players then mission 4 requires two people to fail it."

could you explain this to me? I'm a bit confused because of the grammar.
05-05-2014, 06:43 AM
I believe he means that the mission only fails of two people fail it, as opposed to the one usually needed.
05-05-2014, 06:46 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2014 06:48 AM by Spandex Faffy.)
Pala is correct, you need at least 2 scum on the mission and at least 2 must fail it. In a 7-9 player game there are 3 scum so it isn't as difficult as it sounds

There are now 5 people signed up, I will start this in either one week or if we go two days without any more people calling in, whichever comes first
05-06-2014, 08:03 AM
I'll join.

Long live Mordred.
05-06-2014, 12:15 PM
$20 says oz is the wizard
05-06-2014, 04:05 PM
in

[Image: sonicsig2.jpg]
Steam
05-07-2014, 02:30 AM
In
05-07-2014, 01:32 PM
Gasp! Activity? I'll take part.

In
05-09-2014, 02:22 AM
I will be sending out role PMs at some point tomorow, we still have one more spot so feel free to still join in if you want, calling in will be fine until PMs are sent out.
05-09-2014, 07:35 AM
Okay sure.
05-09-2014, 08:01 AM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2014 08:35 AM by Spandex Faffy.)
A little update post about things like turn order (for being team leader) and to tell you how many people are on each quest.

Turn Order
Oz
Deviant
Speed
Anac
Pala
Amos
Granola
Zatch
Eclipse
Donut
There are 6 Townies and 4 Minions.
So the first mission leader will be Oz, then Deviant and so on. If a quest team is denied by 5 or more people it will not be continued and will instead be passed to the next player immediately.

These are the number of people going on each quest.
Quests:
Quest 1: 3
Quest 2: 4
Quest 3: 4
Quest 4: 5 (two people must sabotage this mission)
Quest 5: 5

I will now send out roles to everyone, just a couple of things to remember.
NO talking about the game outside of the thread
There is NO scumchat, do not PM another player about the game
NO editing posts, the dirty evidence must always remain

also if you are nominating a team then bold it, if you are just suggesting it then do not bold it (especially if you are leader as I would have to accept that as your nominated team) feel free to talk once you get your roles, I will be sending them out in the mission leader order so that you don't get information based on when people first post.
05-09-2014, 08:26 AM
ready to play and ready to not have to make decisions yay
05-09-2014, 08:27 AM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2014 08:30 AM by Spandex Faffy.)
All role PM's are sent, have fun and don't forget to shout and call each other liars for my amusement. This first mission requires 3 people and Oz is the first leader, good luck one and all.

EDIT: Once Oz writes his nomination in the format of Player1/Player2/Player3 send me a PM to say whether you aprove or deny the team, this will be made public, this is just so votes are simultanious.
05-09-2014, 08:34 AM
And try to keep activity to a maximum so that the game stays fun, it isn't fun unless everyone is acusing everyone else.
05-09-2014, 08:34 AM
spandex faffy is a liar
05-09-2014, 08:36 AM
How so?
05-09-2014, 08:37 AM
it's fun if we don't accuse others
05-09-2014, 08:39 AM
It isn't fun for me, what kind of omnipresent forum god (thread creator) am I if I can't relish in a little chaos and confusion?
05-09-2014, 08:40 AM
(shh I was joking)
05-09-2014, 08:43 AM
I'm going to largely shut up for now, only really to nudge people and do an update each round.
05-09-2014, 08:57 AM
I think we should all roleclaim (except Merlin obvs).

I an Sir Palamedes, a caramel townie. Due to my appropriate forum name match missions involving me only succeed if there's a horrible, horrible pun involved.
05-09-2014, 09:05 AM
Well, now it's obvious Pala is actually Merlin. But let's pretend we can actually still win and keep going. I propose Oz/Pala/Amos for first Team.

What? You want to discuss it first? Pfft.

PM your votes people.
05-09-2014, 09:10 AM
He voted himself. So no. Not getting this one past me, Ozzie.
05-09-2014, 09:40 AM
I don't have a problem with Amos, but the people who first talk always catch my suspicion, especially ones who try to lie(or just right out) say what their role is.
05-09-2014, 09:52 AM
ech that team
05-09-2014, 10:31 AM
So guess one: pE is part of team Murdered for dat logic. Like, pretending not to get an obvious joke is one thing, trying to push it as a legitimate suspicion? So it's clear, Palamedes is not a real role because it's not in the OP. My bet's on you being Morgana or the Assassin because otherwise you'd probably realize how clear that was from the PMs.

As for me, I'm always suspicious of the people who pop in to say that the first posters are suspicious.

Now that we're being serious, speedchuck, you are suspicious too! With so many scum (almost 50%!), every town knows there's basically no room for error and that not choosing yourself every time basically makes you scum trying to avoid looking bad (donut can back me up here, Kieros nailed him with this in out last game). There are a (very) small handful of reasons to not choose yourself if you're town ever, never mind on the infoless first turn, and I advise against them.

I'm normally not a fan of Oz ever, but this questing team is too terrible to fail
05-09-2014, 10:33 AM
Also, calling donut as town. After last game it's exactly the response i'd expect from him as town (unless amos and Oz are both town as well, in which case he might be mad that there's no scum).
05-09-2014, 11:35 AM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2014 11:36 AM by phantomEclipse.)
Being this is my first "official" forum version of mafia, I do hope none of you will count me as, well, a lesser player. Believe as you must Palamedes, but joking can be a form of relieving nervousness. It's too early for me to make assumptions or point the finger of suspicion at anyone just yet, but i do certainly know that ill be keeping an eye on you, for you seem to be the talkative one that will be my equal in the talking/spouting off their suspicions.
05-09-2014, 01:01 PM
Don't worry pE, I don't think anybody here discriminates against lesser players.

As of late, I've been playing a bit of EpicMafia so getting back into the swing of things in a forum setting shouldn't be all too hard. I do, however, have a history of lurking, so I'm going to try to rectify that.

Normally, on Day 1, I lurk like a madman and observe and see what night actions occur, but I don't think that tactic will work considering nobody dies and only mission success/failure are what we have to go on. So, I'm in it for the long haul. First matey Zatch comes on board.
05-09-2014, 01:03 PM
don't worry guys I got this in the bag I am just the best at this game

(also epicmafia man I remember when I played that

kinda toxic in some parts)
05-09-2014, 01:21 PM
pE I kind of assumed you've had at least some experience based on the way you carried yourself in that first post, and also because judging people for being new is elitist and shitty.

Most of the time though, I've seen scum pull the 'arbitrary but supposedly obvious suspicious' suspicion out early on (especially ones like 'posting early' or 'making jokes').
05-09-2014, 02:11 PM
@Pala
The smart (and honest) response to that accusation would be to confess that I only just now fully read the OP.

However, that sounds dumb, so I'm gonna go with "You would say that, you're on the proposed team!"

P.S. Donut is the best, he's not even kidding.
05-09-2014, 02:22 PM
@Palamedes
Yes you are right, im not "new" to Mafia type games. Ive been playing Epic Mafia for the past 3 weeks getting into habit of suspicions. Ive grown to become quite a good player :) (in my opinion anyways) This is a whole knew set up for me, what with the no one dying and all.

@Zatch
Like what I said i also have been paying Epic Mafia (my name is paramountWaterloo on there). Ill be absorbing every detail i can acquire through everyone's posts, much as you are. Although I wont be "lurking" as much
05-09-2014, 02:26 PM
Counterclaiming Sir Palamedes. Bring it nerd.
05-09-2014, 03:06 PM
Vote: Palamedes

Also claiming daycop with guilty on palamedes.

Wait what do you mean this isn't that kind of game? Screw you I make my own ru-

Receives strange letter, reads, and immediately tenses

Oh. Oh my. Fine I'll do whatever you want just don't hurt my llamas!
05-09-2014, 04:03 PM
So this is my first game of Avalon. Very exciting. I like the atmosphere so far. pE seems to be adapting to the forum nicely.
Now then, I think for now its in my best interests to just cast my vote and see what happens based on what Ive read so far. Its going to be a vote in favour of course, I see no reason for it not to be.
Apologies regarding my drop out in my last game appearance, Pala. I was really looking forward to discussing things heatedly with you. Maybe we'll have another chance this game.

It seems that based on what im reading its more than likely that the first mission will have a minion based on odds alone. Thats not to say I hold prejudice yet, but mechanically speaking it seems like it will be a fantastic discussion starter however things turn out.

For the record I will not have decent access to internet until presumably saturday. I am presently sending this from my phone...
05-09-2014, 06:49 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2014 06:57 PM by Spandex Faffy.)
Sorry, just a short confirmation here, there must be a clear majority to aprove a mission, that is 6/10 players. Also, exactly who voted for what is revealed to the thread, the PM system is so that votes are simultaneous and you can't just vote with the majority to look less guilty and allows the votes to be more information gathering. If any of this changes your vote then feel free to send another PM saying that you wish to amend your vote.
EDIT: Oh yeah, also vote claiming is fine, just know that nothing you say in the thread has to be honest (other than exactly who you are inviting on a mission)
05-10-2014, 01:19 AM
lynch the minions
proven strategy
05-10-2014, 12:15 PM
Has everyone voted (or at least checked into the thread)? I wanna know if this mission is a go or not.
05-10-2014, 12:42 PM
or if they haven't who are they so we can bother them.
05-10-2014, 01:06 PM
It's anacreon I bet, they are the only one who hasn't posted yet!
05-10-2014, 01:28 PM
(also psst
if you weren't in BSFia already you should replace in because the game needs closure and replacements)
05-10-2014, 09:18 PM
woah ok this started. I am new to avalon as well.

[Image: sonicsig2.jpg]
Steam