Complete Dersehunt Intermission:The Return of the coins [MC Win]
09-30-2014, 03:27 PM
RE: Dersehunt Intermission:The Return of the coins[17/21]
This is incredibly spooky. I started archive binging everything Dersehunt I could get my hands on about a week ago, starting with looking for a "Dersehunt 5" (I'd read through Dersehunt 4 previously) and being disappointed to find only this: A new Dersehunt game with no posts in the signup for a couple of months (Briefly exciting: Maybe I'd be able to actually get in on Dersehunt!), which I presumed to be dead. The archive binging took about a week after which I decided to go PM x1372 and ask about all this (since he did mention about a Dersehunt 5 at the end of 4, and maybe I just wasn't able to find it?).

I noted that he hasn't visited the MSPA forums since early 2013, so I decided I probably shouldn't bother with that and just sort of vaguely poked in here to see if there was anything dersehunt left out there...and lo and behold, someone posted here TODAY explicitly stating this game to still be a thing that's happening. This is clearly some form of divine providence (seriously, I wasn't even planning on checking back here), so I signed up for these forums and am making signing up for Dersehunt my first ever post here. I should qualify that I've never actually played Mafia or any variant thereof (this is a variant of Witch hunt which is a variant of Mafia, I think? Or something along those lines), only researched them extensively, so I have a researcher's knowledge of technical shit and no personal Mafia intuition.

So anyway, yeah. Looking forward to getting ruthlessly screwed over by all the more experienced players in the game!
09-30-2014, 04:02 PM
Got a few rules questions. Could edit them into my previous post, would like to get into the habit of doing that EBWOP thing instead.

- Will a MC member murder themselves if Itchy (or Droog, I guess) switches them into it? This seems silly but is what the rules currently suggest I think.
- Is Doze notified of going terminal? Is a generic "survival" message announced on his triggering? Basically, what does it look like to Doze, the public, and anyone else who might receive differing information based on this? (e.g. Clubs Deuce)
- If the MC member performing the murder is vanished, do they still perform the murder? (I am aware that if the VICTIM vanishes they survive the attempt, so it'd make sense that the KILLER vanishing does the same thing. Unless 10a means that MC don't actually make their decision until all that other night crap has happened so they know if one of their number has vanished by then)
- Is Slick's power once or twice per game? There's contradictory wording here. The card says once but the text says twice. Which of these is true?
09-30-2014, 06:00 PM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2014 06:01 PM by Coldblooded.)
Answers in order:
- Yes, friendly fire between the MC due to busdrivings is 100% possible, though the MC can potentially avoid this scenario with the use of Droog's special kill. So be careful who you shoot.
- Doze is notified that he's been targeted for a kill in the night, and the public is also notified that the player in question has survived a kill during the night. Clubs Deuce learns nothing since Doze didn't actually die during the night.
- Players will still be able to perform actions on the same night that they get vanished, but not on the night after. So in other words, vanishing a murderer on a night that they attempt a murder would not block their kill, but vanishing the victim on that same night would prevent the kill from going through.
- Slick's power can be used twice per game. (Sorry about the confusion, there's been a few minor rule changes since the first version of this game, and I guess nobody's ever bothered to update the images since then.)

Anyway, welcome to the forums DC! Hopefully the game won't take too much longer to start up at this point.

Tumblr/Steam
09-30-2014, 06:32 PM
Well it wasn't so much MC friendly fire in general as MC members committing suicide (i.e. Slick is selected to make the MC kill but gets bussed with his target, making Slick's target...Slick), but that's a subset so all good. Incidentally, if that happens we need an image of said MC member wearing their target's hat and going something like "OH MY GOD HE WAS ME ALL ALONG" before offing himself :V

With Doze, what happens the next day? I'm assuming Doze simply perishes as though the victim of a standard murder, and guessing that CD gets the information at that point (as if it wasn't obvious to everyone by the conspicuous double death following a survival, although there are a couple of other possibilities for that)

Also after checking again I noticed that it's not just the card:

Quote:If Slick is roleblocked, he will be unable to activate his power this night. If he attempts to activate his power the night he is roleblocked, he will not trap anyone, but will also not use up his one opportunity to do so.

I imagine that's just for the same reason, but I figured I'd point it out anyhow. Thanks for the answers!
09-30-2014, 06:58 PM
(09-30-2014 06:32 PM)dichotomousCreator Wrote:  With Doze, what happens the next day? I'm assuming Doze simply perishes as though the victim of a standard murder, and guessing that CD gets the information at that point (as if it wasn't obvious to everyone by the conspicuous double death following a survival, although there are a couple of other possibilities for that)

Yep, you got it. (There is obviously of course the possibility that Doze could die due to lynching or Scratch oblit that same day too though, in which case Deuce still learns nothing.)

As for the other thing, yeah, another typo. (Feel free to let us know if you happen to see any more so that we can fix them before the game begins.)

Tumblr/Steam
10-01-2014, 01:03 AM
Heh, I'm pretty much in the same boat as dC here. I've read plenty of Mafia games, and all of the Dersehunt ones... minus the original Intermission, which is probably the one I should've been reading. But yeah, I know how things work, just haven't put my knowledge into practice.

Oh, I should probably mention: I've made it my goal that, should I recieve Eggs as my character, to go full retard and activate day one. Why? Because SOMEONE has to eventually. but it's a 1 in 21 chance of happening, so I highly doubt I'll actually get it.

what is this cold dread that grips my soul
10-02-2014, 01:51 PM
Probably ebola.

"We love eloquence for its own sake, and not for any truth which it may utter, or any heroism it may inspire."
-Henry David Thoreau
10-03-2014, 08:59 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2014 09:00 AM by anacreon.)
RE: Dersehunt Intermission:The Return of the coins[18/21]
Welcome to the forums and that is my fault for not bumping this sooner. making you think it was dead.

[Image: sonicsig2.jpg]
Steam
10-04-2014, 08:17 AM
Is this still alive? Am I still in? Yes? Good.
10-12-2014, 09:11 PM
Just posting as to make sure this thing is still alive.

Also, I'm gonna see if I can convince a few friends if they wanna join. If nothing else it'll help the game get started faster. We only need, what, 3 guys, right?

Unless this is against the rules or something like that I'm unsure
10-12-2014, 09:39 PM
Fresh mafia recruits would be greatly appreciated. So yeah, by all means go ahead.

In theory we only need 3 more players, but there's always a pretty good chance that somebody on the list has disappeared/become too busy in the ~3.5 months since the thread went up. We'll probably send out PMs whenever the list hits 21 just to make sure that everybody on it is still up for the game.

Tumblr/Steam
10-13-2014, 08:16 PM
Alright, then. I'll see what I can do tomorrow, I'll try and get some new guys up for the game.

Although I'll be honest, the chances of me actually getting someone to join is pretty low, but I'll do what I can.
10-18-2014, 03:02 PM
Sounds cool

I'm in
10-18-2014, 03:11 PM
Eyyyyy we got another new guy!

...Something tells me this game's gonna be a bunch of people having no idea what the buck is going on, meaning SO many nub mistakes. Myself included, obviously.

In any case, update on my last post: I found a couple of guys who are interested, and they said they'd join. Sadly, most of them have terrible memories, and as such forget by the time they're home.

Also I may have accidentally asked a guy who would be great at the game... if he had internet :I

But yeah, I'll poke them a coupe times when I can to see if they'll join or not. I'll be able to talk to them again in a couple of days, so it'll still be a while.

In related news, a little upset that my threatening to effectively ruin the game for town didn't spark any conversation. :C
10-18-2014, 05:49 PM
(10-18-2014 03:11 PM)The Other Guy Wrote:  In related news, a little upset that my threatening to effectively ruin the game for town didn't spark any conversation. :C

Game hasn't even started and he's attempting to foster conversation with fake threats.

A real go-getter, The Other Guy.

[Image: g4osirL.jpg]
10-18-2014, 06:03 PM
Alright see if they want to join.

Steam
10-18-2014, 06:20 PM
RE: Dersehunt Intermission:The Return of the coins[19/21]
Sorry, I'm really itching to try out my first proper Mafia game, was kind of hoping there'd be more conversation in the chat before everything went all SRS BSNS.

Also, who said I was faking? I never said I was faking. But again, there's like, no chance of me getting him anyways, so what's the worry either way, I guess.
10-18-2014, 07:56 PM
Well i mean you could end up mc or scratch in which case messinbg up town is your goal xD.

Steam
10-18-2014, 11:04 PM
In all honesty I'm hoping for a town role, mostly because I'm pretty sure I'd get dunked trying to weasel my way out of suspicion as mc. getting Scratch would be hilarious, though, just because of the amount of fail that that would bring to the game. :D
10-21-2014, 01:44 AM
I figure I'm 0k with more or less any role I might get. Dunno if I could handle the pressure from being Scratch though...ehehe. Ah well, I'll probably get someone relatively minor like Doze and not cause too much wacky disruption (...although Matchsticks does look like a lot of fun)
10-21-2014, 10:30 PM
By the way you kind of spelt CriticalMiss' name wrong in the player list, not that it matters that much. Just figured I'd be 'that guy' and point it out.
10-28-2014, 04:34 AM
If this manages to happen in the next couple of weeks I won't be available, sorry
11-02-2014, 09:14 AM
Ah screw it, I'll play.
11-03-2014, 09:36 AM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2014 09:36 AM by GenetiXientist.)
RE: Dersehunt Intermission:The Return of the coins[20/21]
Ughhhhhh I really shouldn't do this, and I can't play for the next week or so due to exams, but if it ain't full by next tuesday, I'm in.
11-03-2014, 09:46 AM
Right! Well I think that means we're good to go once Acionyx returns or thereabouts. Looking forward to it!
11-03-2014, 03:02 PM
Alright we are good to go so far the date is some time after next tuesday. Which works fine since i can work on Quick topics and role PMs in the mean time.

Steam
11-04-2014, 05:51 AM
Oh hell, my professor moved the date of one of my exams. I now have it in two tuesdays.

So change my statement to "after two tuesdays from now".
11-04-2014, 11:44 AM
By the way, I'm busy enough that I probably won't take this super seriously. Don't expect walls.
11-06-2014, 11:30 AM
I am still in.
11-06-2014, 01:42 PM
(11-04-2014 11:44 AM)amosmyn Wrote:  By the way, I'm busy enough that I probably won't take this super seriously. Don't expect walls.

Don't worry, you're not the only one. I'm mostly in because it would be a shame for people to not get to play this game.
11-07-2014, 03:31 AM
I might need insistent prodding for the first few days, but I'm in.

Out of the ashes I rise.

and now, hunger does what sorrow could never do
website | @tehpilot
11-07-2014, 10:08 AM
I am dumbledorf.
11-08-2014, 04:58 AM
I can in fact do this!

Anyone familiar with me be warned that I'm way shorter on time than I used to be and in general I'm not going to stress over reaching my "standard" level of activity so don't be surprised about that
11-08-2014, 10:44 AM
Sup, happy to go.

“One day you wake up and realize the world can be conquered.” - Doctor Impossible
11-08-2014, 08:48 PM
Checking in if checking in is a thing! Looking forward to this.
11-08-2014, 11:53 PM
sorry I haven't said anything in a while, internet went down multiple times over the last few weeks, to the point where it was kinda pointless to check. Got it working now, though. Kinda. Hopefully.

As for the game, I'm still here, ready to screw my team over do what I can for my side.

...Although I should probably say, I'm not 100% sure the Internet is completely stable, but it should be good enough to check every couple of days at the very least. :D
11-10-2014, 06:40 AM
Hi. sorry, I'm still here.

If there are D1 egg nukes I will be sad.
11-10-2014, 05:16 PM
RE: Dersehunt Intermission:The Return of the coins[21/21]
Ehhh, hate to be a d*ck in all of this, and I know I just said I should be good, buuuuut...

See, it turns out it's exam season for me, and I've got a butt-ton of stuff to catch up on, so I might not be able to play properly until maybe after next Friday, Thursday if I'm lucky.

Or I could play anyway and lol as my grades bomb but I like the first option more
11-11-2014, 11:06 AM
while we're waiting for the elusive final player slot to get filled, I'm giving 5:1 odds against a day one Eggs nuke. Place your bets ladies and gentlemen.
11-11-2014, 11:51 AM
(11-10-2014 05:16 PM)The Other Guy Wrote:  Ehhh, hate to be a d*ck in all of this, and I know I just said I should be good, buuuuut...

See, it turns out it's exam season for me, and I've got a butt-ton of stuff to catch up on, so I might not be able to play properly until maybe after next Friday, Thursday if I'm lucky.

Or I could play anyway and lol as my grades bomb but I like the first option more

Well, my grades are bombing (I absolutely despise MATLAB code syntax (it's really goddamn unintuitive and stems from them being really lazy when creating the while command. I also hate unintuitive physics diagrams,) and I'm still in this.
11-11-2014, 04:42 PM
(11-11-2014 11:06 AM)Stiqqery Wrote:  while we're waiting for the elusive final player slot to get filled, I'm giving 5:1 odds against a day one Eggs nuke. Place your bets ladies and gentlemen.

What odds you got for Merry Scratchmas round 2?
11-13-2014, 03:57 PM
Oh man, I'm so excited for shitsCram
11-13-2014, 03:59 PM
I'm wondering if anyone got a notification, had hope someone joined and is now dissapointed since it was only me.
11-14-2014, 04:39 AM
[Image: ib1V68F6CFbc4E.gif]
11-14-2014, 07:44 AM
(11-11-2014 04:42 PM)Acionyx Wrote:  
(11-11-2014 11:06 AM)Stiqqery Wrote:  while we're waiting for the elusive final player slot to get filled, I'm giving 5:1 odds against a day one Eggs nuke. Place your bets ladies and gentlemen.

What odds you got for Merry Scratchmas round 2?

I'm giving pretty well 50/50 that they kill a least 4 people and 2:1 against that they take home the gold.
11-14-2014, 07:46 AM
(11-14-2014 04:39 AM)Mirdini Wrote:  -snip image-

hello to you too.

Let's call you Exordini
11-14-2014, 02:59 PM
so wait are we ready to go then on next tuesday? i thought we needed one person still?
11-15-2014, 07:13 AM
We have a few people that need to check in. Mquinny has offered to replace in as well.

Steam
11-15-2014, 07:49 AM
Yes, and on that note, if anybody here knows how to get in contact with Donut, Mister Visceral, Scofflaw, Amymist, or CriticalMiss, we would greatly appreciate it if you could ask whether or not they're still up for this game for us.

Tumblr/Steam
11-15-2014, 08:02 AM
Though I would still (greatly) prefer to be an observer, I am willing to step in and be a player instead of that's what is necessary for this game to go on.

I do so, however, under the caveat that no one should be expecting my absolute best in whatever role I'll end up playing. :P

[Image: g4osirL.jpg]